• Inaccuracies on ranking clubs in league table in the case of point equality

ManuelS
    • Public Status: Under Review Screenshot: Files Uploaded: Screenshot

Hello, I noticed some inaccuracies again, this time in the league rules in league table positioning in case of point equality.

The rules in the game of point equality appear to be presented confusingly and some of them appear to be wrong or misplaced.

I'll add both screenshots with the current rules in the game and the actual real-life rules. Please bare with me, as the rules are not described in a simple way in the actual regulation book and so it's a complication and a mess (document on all league rules available at https://www.ligaportugal.pt/media/44455/regulamento-das-competicoes-2023-24.pdf).

Captions: W - win; D - draw; L - loss.

In case of point equality of two clubs, the ranking of who should be ahead or behind one another, follows the rules on this order:

1. Number of points in the games disputed between themselves. For instance, if my team has a W-W track record or a D-W record against the opponent team, then my team places first against him. If however, we have D-D or W-L, it moves into the next criteria.

2. Goal difference between the two matches disputed by the two clubs in question. Away or home goals are not accounted for, it's just to assess what is the global goal difference. (Note that this only accounts for the goal difference in the 2 matches that the two clubs play against one another). If the goal difference is of 0 for both teams, then it proceeds onto the next criteria.

3. Goal difference for the two teams of all league matches. So basically, the goal difference these two teams have during all competition at the end of it. If a team finishes with a goal difference higher than the other, it gets ahead of its opponent in question. Else, we move to the next criteria.

4. Number of wins during the competition. Having the same points doesn't mean one team had the same number of wins. So if a team has more wins, it places ahead of the other one. In the case they both have the same number of wins, it moves onto the last criteria.

5. More goals scored throughout all the competition. If one team scored 50 and suffered 30 goals, yet another team scored 100 and suffered 80 goals, the second team places ahead.

(There is a last criteria of ranking in case it's all equal still, and it consists on a match on a neutral venue with the same format as UCL or FA Cup [or Taça de Portugal] final, with 30 minutes prorrogation time in case of draw during the 90 minutes, and penalty shootout in case of a draw during all this match time, but I think FM has never incorporated this criteria in any of its leagues, and it never happened in real life, so it might be well skipped.)

Thank you and have a good weekend.

Regulation of the League on Point Equality.png

Actual Game Rules on Point Equality.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments