• MLS - contract & registration issues

neva
    • Files Uploaded: Screenshot Public Status: Need More Info Screenshot:

Description of issue

Hi all,

First of all, not sure if this is the right category, but it is restricted only to MLS, so this seems to be the right place.

As we all know, MLS is a very special competitition with a whole other level of squad building. Traders, waivers, etc.. I really love playing in the MLS, but there are some issues that I think are bugs, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

First of all, there is an issue with offering new player contracts. I've got an offer accepted for a talented player and want to bring him in. Luckily I've checked his demands beforehand, and he requires a very low salary. However, I can't offer him a contract as according to this screen I will end up being above my cap limit. 

image.png.64254214e7aafa3eea959b357ceece

I've bought off all salary impact though, so when you go to registration screen you can see I have a LOT of cap space left.

image.png.8fc1f1b5810cd7b5853e9406d6058db5.png

This is being confirmed by the fact that I can succesfully claim players from Waivers with a salary of 600K+ per year. No issues at all. 

Do I miss anything? I know it is a complex competitiion, but it really seems buggy to me. Also had the same issues last year, just worked around it then, but it is impacting the amount of fun I get out of this game. 

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Your first screenshot is broken for me, so I can't really tell what it's saying to you. I will point out that transfer fees do (correctly) hit the cap on top of salary, even though the game doesn't do a great job of pointing this out, so it is possible that this is your issue. Waiver claims obviously don't have that issue, so I suspect that might be what's getting you (though obviously I can't say for sure without seeing the save).

Edit to add: I found a way to see the screenshot in question. If it's not the transfer fee, it seems like it might be bugged, as I can't think of any other reason that would put you over the cap.

Edited by The Tr0ll
    additional info

3 hours ago, The Tr0ll said:

I will point out that transfer fees do (correctly) hit the cap on top of salary

Wow, I wasn't aware of that rule. And just when I thought I mastered all of the rules.. Thanks for that!

Found a little explanation here:

I was about to pay 7 million for the player, so that might be the issue after all.

However, if I do the math it is 7M + 120K + 23,5K + 3,7K / 3 (for a 3 year contract) = 2.38M. And I have over 4 million cap space left, so now I am even more terribly confused.

So, I'm not 100% sure about any of this, but I *think* that since a 7M transfer fee would have to be amortized over the three years of this guys contract at roughly $2.33M/yr, he won't fit into a senior roster spot and you'd have to use a Designated Player spot to sign him. I know that sounds ridiculous since he's only making 120k/yr, but I *think* that's how it works; that is, if he's on a senior team contract, his tx fee plus salary/yr have to come in under max budget charge (which is $680k-ish IIRC). That said, you might be able to buy that contract down with TAM to get it fit inside that range. I don't remember what the max-TAM contract amount is off the top of my head (but if you made me guess, I'd guess that this contract is too rich even with that)

Others may very well know better than I do though, and I will tell you from experience that using TAM in FM 23 was pretty much always an unpredictable adventure as far as how the game treats it. I haven't really used it in FM 24 yet, but I might be getting to that point soon in my save. If I do, I'll update you here.