• MLS fixture plan incorrect

themodelcitizen
    • Public Status: Resolved Save Game: MLS TFC II and media expectation bug.fm Files Uploaded: Save Game

MLS' fixture plan is still incorrect (I think this has been logged but just to get a record somewhere)

Save game in a vanilla DB attached. Also demonstrates the TFC II bug where they're signing too many Americans relative to real life

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• SI Staff

Hello thank you for flagging these to us.

We do have both of these logged, however given the complicated nature of adding these to the game, we might not have the time or resources to included them in this cycle.

3 hours ago, Zachary Whyte said:

We do have both of these logged, however given the complicated nature of adding these to the game, we might not have the time or resources to included them in this cycle.

It's achievable in group settings with a custom fixture plan. Yes it would take time, but isn't having teams play each other (roughly) the correct number of times not a pretty basic part of including a licensed MLS? ESPECIALLY now that fans are taking a close look at who they play every year in the Messi era?

Edited by themodelcitizen

On 10/12/2023 at 19:12, RadicalMooseLamb said:

I noticed this right away too. It would be fantastic to have teams playing matches correctly. You did a great breakdown on just how scrambled it really is.

Don't worry, if the game was released without Premier League teams playing each other 2x each, I'm sure it would get the same reaction, right? Just something they couldn't get to over the past couple of seasons of it being raised and likely won't manage to now either

Edited by themodelcitizen

On 07/12/2023 at 09:45, Zachary Whyte said:

I mean, come on. This has been wrong all the way through FM 23 (at least) up until now. I posted about it in July of last year. We actually got *fewer* accurate schedules this year vs last year. Again, I know CONCACAF isn't what sells this game, but a proper schedule simply isn't too much to ask of a Football Simulation Game, is it?

(Edit: I just realized it was my post that was linked to originally up top, but still, come on)

Edited by The Tr0ll

On 08/03/2024 at 07:32, Kyle Brown said:

This has now been resolved via a previous update, thank you for your patience.

Respectfully, I don't believe that it has been resolved, unless I'm doing something wacky on my end. Please advise if that is the case.

New vanilla save: Game Pass version (0.9.445.0), 24.3 Database, no editor files active, traditional career.

You'll notice that FC Cincinnati's schedule plays every other team in the league once, except for six eastern conference opponents. IIRC, this is unchanged from how it was when FM 24 was released, but even if it is different, it is still incorrect.

FC Cincinnati should play every Eastern conference team twice, and the remaining six matches should be against Western Conference opponents. They should only ever play six matches against the West.

The competition guide lines from the 2023 season are linked here, screenshot of the relevant portion attached. Save uploaded - MLS Fixture plan check 4.21.fm

Screenshot 2024-04-21 113626.png

Screenshot 2024-04-21 113640.png

Screenshot 2024-04-21 120317.png

Edited by The Tr0ll
    tried to un-insert the screenshots from the post b/c they were huge and annoying

Just checking back in to say that I'm now 100% sure that this issue is not actually resolved. I started four different saves last night just to check, and none of them started with a correct schedule, East or West. Evidence and example save game are in the post above.

• SI Staff

Hello @The Tr0ll

Due to the complex nature of the MLS schedule, we are currently unable to replicate it with 100% accuracy in game. However, we will continue to review this with future development in mind.

On 20/05/2024 at 10:13, Zachary Whyte said:

Hello @The Tr0ll

Due to the complex nature of the MLS schedule, we are currently unable to replicate it with 100% accuracy in game. However, we will continue to review this with future development in mind.

Thank you for your reply @Zachary Whyte. I have two questions and a comment around it.

1) Why did you (that is, the collective SI "you") say that you did fix it upthread, when it was not addressed? That feels dishonest if the response is now "This is far too complex to do correctly". Nothing changed; the schedule generates exactly the same as it did on release day, as far as I can tell.

2) The vagueness of the response here has me concerned that this will not be addressed for next year's iteration of the game either, again. Can you share anything around the timing of a hypothetical fix? Will we have to wait for San Diego to join the league and even up the conference sizes again? That's going to be year-after-next if I'm not mistaken, and that would be really disappointing.

Frankly, I know for a fact you can get pretty close with a custom match plan and the existing editor tools, and that's all people are looking for, I think. It's disappointing to have been told that this is impossible to address for two years running in light of that. "Unable to replicate it with 100% accuracy" is one thing, and certainly understandable, but the schedule in its current state is more like denying the DNA that the league is built on. Conference ranking means everything for the cup, so throwing away 7-9 of those match-ups every season is frustrating to say the least. The current state isn't even a good approximation by that measure.

On 20/05/2024 at 17:50, themodelcitizen said:

Beats pretending you fixed it and hoping no one notices I guess

That was the most maddening part. To have gotten the notification that they finally addressed it and then finding that nothing of the sort actually occurred was pretty much rock bottom in terms of user experience for me smh.