• Incorrect names

NoahTM
    • Public Status: Open Screenshot: Files Uploaded: Screenshot

There are many errors with Turkish player names, mainly from the inconsistent use of special characters (i.e. Yıldız and Yildiz,  Kilic and Kılıç, and many others). This should probably be standardised one way or the other.

Additionally, and not necessarily related to data issues but why do seemingly only Turkish player names show up by their first names in the matches? I find it hard to explain this issue but I'm sure anyone who plays the game in the Turkish leagues knows what I am talking about here.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

perpetua

Posted (edited)

Regarding the first issue, we deal with the incorrect letters in names if and when players play in Turkey.  However there are a lot of players with Turkish names playing abroad and we don't necessarily have concrete information as to how their names should be.  A player may indeed have the name Kilic or Kiliç or Kılıc or Kılıç.  It's probably best not to make an assumption until we see him appear in the Turkish FA website.

For example Samet Akaydin's name is spelled this way but if I were to make an assumption, I would have assumed (incorrectly) his last name would be Akaydın.

Regarding the second issue.  Turkish players are typically known by their first name.  It's very rare for Turkish players to be known by their last name. 

If a player happens to play at a club where more than one player shares the same name then they are known by their first and second name.  If we added the first name as common name, then we could potentially end up with 3-4 players with the same name at the same club and it would be impossible to distinguish them from each other on the tactics board or in the match engine.  So SI have coded for us a special rule where players' first name is shown unless the club happens to have two players with the same first name, in which case both players are shown by their first and second name.

Edited by perpetua

Ah see! I appreciate this explanation. Re the first point though, like my screenshot shows that player is not actually real he is a newgen. This surely means the folder containing newgen names needs to be update to have correct spellings?

Edited by NoahTM

perpetua

Posted

11 hours ago, NoahTM said:

Ah see! I appreciate this explanation. Re the first point though, like my screenshot shows that player is not actually real he is a newgen. This surely means the folder containing newgen names needs to be update to have correct spellings?

Yildiz is a second name entered by the German and Norwegian research teams to be used for newgens.  I suggest raising the issue with them.  I suspect your physio has German or Norwegian nationality.  All Turkish newgen names should be using the correct lettering.

Hmm, bizarrely the newgen in question only has Turkish nationality. The only thing I can think is that I am playing on 24.0, is that something that has been fixed since then?

Screenshot 2024-06-03 110546.png