• Origin of goals in the engine match

Kinito
    • Files Uploaded: Save Game Public Status: Info Provided Save Game: AI Goals

Description of issue

In this post I'll try to show that the distribution of goals is wrong in the engine match. In my opinion, there are too many goals from "set-pieces" and throw-ins. 
    To demonstrate this, I wanted to see the AI vs. AI goals and see the distribution, to avoid the problem being my tactics (since I have the same problem in my matches). So, after 10 matchdays, I categorized the 240 AI goals.

So I've categorized all these goals into googlesheets.
    The first category is a general "construction phase" category, which includes all goals that don't start from a "throw-in" or a set-piece. 
    The second category is therefore the category of goals originating from a throw-in. In this category, I have grouped goals with 1 pass after the throw-in up to 6 passes after the throw-in. 
    I've then created a set-piece category for goals from free-kicks and corners. In the same category, I've grouped goals from 1 to 7 passes after the set-piece, as well as the second ball when the defense pushes back the first ball sent into the box by the attacking team. 
    The final category is goals from penalties. 

After classifying all these goals, I arrive at the following figures. 

52% of goals come from a recovery or construction phase. 
    30% of goals come from set-pieces.
    12% of goals come from a throw-in. 
    6% of goals come from a penalty kick. 

After checking soccer statistics websites, I was able to verify that the more passes there are after the throw-in, the harder it is to score from a throw-in. This seems to be totally the opposite in play, since the more passes after the throw-in, the more goals. 

The problem, in my opinion, is defensive repositioning on throw-ins or on second balls from set-pieces. When a ball is put back into play, the defense is totally passive. It's also totally passive on second balls from set-pieces. Players do not go out on second balls. 

After checking the football statistics websites, I was able to verify that the more passes there are after the throw-in, the more difficult it is to score from a throw-in. This seems to be completely the opposite in the game, because in the game, the more passes after the throw-in, the more goals. 

The problem, in my opinion, is defensive repositioning after a throw-in or after a second ball from a set-piece. When a ball is put back into play, the defence is totally passive. It's also totally passive when the second ball is thrown in at set-pieces. Players do not come out when the second ball is thrown in. The big problem is that in the game, these second-ball goals are not reflected in the statistics. For example, I looked at the 14 goals I personally conceded in 10 games. 7 of them came from set-pieces. And yet only 4 of them are included in the real statistics. 1 goal conceded from a touch and it's not possible to find it. So out of 14 goals, I conceded 8 from a touch or a set-piece. The problem is that I win almost all my duels in the penalty area but the second ball is indefensible. 

Another thing, I had the impression that in the game, we were no longer seeing any deep passes in the centre of the pitch, even with instructions to attempt them. Deep passes are made ONLY in half-space. Which led me to check one last statistic. The number of aerial duels attempted per match by all the players. Compared to FM 23, aerial duels are roughly halved. This explains why the lack of deep passes attempted in the centre of the pitch is a major problem in the distribution of goals. Firstly, it reduces the number of head-to-head duels (since no passes attempted behind the defence in the centre = no duels in the event of a missed pass). Secondly, almost all the goals I saw in the recovery or build-up phase were crosses. I'd say that almost 70 to 80% of goals in this type of phase come from a pass in half-space followed by a cross. 
    I'd like to make it clear that I've taken AI vs AI goals and not goals from my own games to produce these statistics. 

If I had to make an assessment, there are too many goals from a touch, the defence being too passive in these phases of the game. There are too many goals from set-pieces, as the defence is also completely passive in these phases of the game. 
    It is simply IMPOSSIBLE to play deep in the centre of the pitch, except in exceptional circumstances. 

I fully understand that it's more difficult to find a ball at the back of the defence in the centre of the pitch, but in this case it's not just difficult, it's impossible because the players aren't trying to do it. 

I've attached the backup from which I've filed the goals under the name "AI Goals".

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Agreed. Also seeing this in my save. Many goals from throw-ins.

They are very annoying as we have little control on this phase of the game, so I cannot do much to recreate (when my team scores it) or stop (when the opponent does it) them.