• player with a few months left on contract won't discuss renewal because current contract "has time left to run"

Cause = Time
    • Files Uploaded: None Public Status: Under Review

Description of issue

I have a young player who's been in and around the first team for 2 years now. His contract runs out at the end of the season (it's now February, so about 4-5 months to go). 

His current agreed (and actual) playing time is "squad player", and his current wage is more or less in line with (if anything, a little lower than) other players of that status. There's no extension clause of any kind in his current contract. He's happy at the club and has me as favoured staff.

When I try to offer him a new contract, he says "I'm very interested in renewing in general, but I don't want to discuss a new contract this time as it would be on inferior terms to my current deal, which has time left to run".

I don't really understand any of that. Why does an 18 year old who's been playing more and more regularly think that a new contract would be on inferior terms? Why does he think his current deal has "time left to run" when we're two thirds of the way through its final season?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Sorry, forgot to add some details after uploading the save file:

Player is a newgen called Nick Dovey.

Reproduction steps: Find Nick Dovey in Dover squad, try to offer him a new contract.