• Defenders holding ball up for too long - or losing ball too easily

CFuller
    • Files Uploaded: None Public Status: Under Review

Description of issue

I'm seeing too many cases of players (particularly defenders) holding the ball up for several seconds to slow play down. I don't just mean casually taking the ball forward like many defenders would do in this situation. I mean literally stopping the ball with one foot and standing around - or sometimes turning around on the ball, which often leads to them losing possession in dangerous areas.

Man Utd vs Betis: Pavlovic holds the ball up after receiving a short throw between 15:06 and 15:11.

Celta vs Betis: Llorente takes the ball in the centre circle at 53:06 and then swivels on it before being pressed off it at 53:09.

Betis vs Qarabağ: Khellven receives a short throw at 13:26 and then holds the ball up before passing to Pavlovic at 13:21.

Betis vs Atlético: After playing a one-two from a free-kick, Felipe stops with the ball from 53:08 to 53:13. From 53:17 to 53:20, his team-mate Giménez hesitates on the ball and is closed down too easily, leading to a Betis goal.

Girona vs Betis: Luiz Felipe (Ramos) holds the ball up between 31:15 and 31:20, and then plays a long ball ahead of Rodri.

Those are just a few examples from my most recent matches. I feel like defenders should be reacting a bit more quickly on the ball, or at least tentatively take the ball upfield while they make a decision, instead of dwelling on the ball or even swivelling on it when an opponent is dangerously close.

Man Utd v Betis.pkm Celta v Betis.pkm Betis v Qarabağ.pkm Betis v Atlético.pkm Girona v Betis.pkm

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• Administrators

Appreciate it's been a while, but can I ask how you're finding these sort of issues on the game since the turn of the year? Have things improved/got worse/much the same?

Let us know either way and I'll make sure the match team is made aware in case any further changes are required.

In my case it is even worse than it was before the last update. The defenders and defensive midfielders are loosing the ball in almost all matches my team plays. 

Stuttgart-Wolfsburg: 89:48 the defender holds onto a ball instead of kicking it away (very common behaviour in current ME)

Stuttgart-Hoffenheim 19:38 - typical behaviour in current ME. Player freezes instead of passing or carrying the ball - end with a loss.

Freiburg - Stuttgart 24:30, 74:35 - DM freezes

Just few examples. It happens almost every match.

Stuttgart - Wolfsburg.pkm Stuttgart-Hoffenheim.pkm Freiburg - Stuttgart.pkm