• Fringe and lower tier players complain about being subbed on (but also just Morale in general in the game).

Dhirvish
    • Files Uploaded: None Public Status: Under Review

Description of issue

• Save game name: Dhirvish Whirling - Wrexham 1.5042.fm (ownCloud from FAQ)
    • Description of issue: Subbed players frequently don't want to be subbed on and morale drops.
    • Steps to reproduce: Be winning a game by at least 2-4 goals.  Sub a player on at least at the 60 min mark, for sure after the 70 min mark.

Morale status says: "Would have rather stayed on the bench" for most of my players that I sub on (90+%).  Most are Fringe playing time or below.  And even players who are break out, youngster, etc., suffer from poor morale at least 50% of the time when I sub them on, especially if we're winning a game by more than 1 goal.  That's even if my pep talk is successful (it will be a positive result during the talk, and then they'll completely ignore that it was a successful event).  Absolutely NONE of those players, or the 1 "trial" player I brought to my team should ever be complaining about any time on the pitch.  That makes 0 sense.

I saw someone post on a pre-launch board somewhere with the same issue (subbing issue morale comments), so I know it's not just me.

It's pretty normal in football to sub on a younger/fringe player at that point if you're up, and generally they want the playing time, frequently it may be the only time they get on in league game in their whole career.  Those SAME players will then complain about not getting enough playing time after the game ("concerned" for weeks on end regardless of if I've started them 3 games in a row).  I found last year in FM22 that a "Fringe" player wanted 15-20 full games worth of playing time on average to be "happy", and well over 10 full games in a 45-game season to be "satisfied".  That's WAAAY more than they should be expecting as someone with 1.5-2.5 stars on a team with 10-15 3-4.5 star players. 

The whol thing basically means I can't have ANY star or important players, or several somebody's become unhappy no matter how I dole out the playing time, which is ridiculous b/c there are numerical boundaries on the number of games before the season starts, and I take that into account with negotiations of every player & during game setting time adjustments as the season goes by.  And then I get grief from trying to balance it out with sub time, during the game.  And even if we over perform in every cup and get extra time to play/start, they still complain as if they're working off an adjusted percentage instead of their total starts vs expected number of games for the team by experts at the start of the season.  And even if I'm playing them exactly how the physio & med staff recommend.  I get a few divas, fine whatever, but it's well over 33-50% of the top 20-25 players in my club every season & every team I coach.  It's too many that ignore contracts, ignore my requests, ignore reason, ignore their personal health, ignore that they have teammates who should get some games too.  I've even got rn 3 star/important players with 22-24 games that they've started by Mid-Jan (33 games total so far incl. cups) & they're "concerned" about their playing time. I just checked & IRL for those players was 38-46 games the past 2 seasons, which they're on track to hit/exceed in my team, (which they've commented publicly IRL they were happy with their playing time, & one is a captain on both my team and IRL).  And even if they weren't happy IRL, I think that's plenty reasonable given injury expectations etc., but is ALWAYS an issue with players with that designation: so...WTF?  They should at worst be "satisfied".  I literally can't play them any more than I do or they're at High-risk injury per the Doc.  I even try to slip a few of those games in too.  It's like they're begging for injury, which makes no sense for players at 28-30yo.  And I can't sub them off b/c the players complain who come on...and then several of my team NEED to be subbed b/c they demanded playing a 3 game in 7 days schedule every week and crap out after 45 minutes in two of the games with 13-14+ stamina *faceplam* even if they're "Excellent" & "Fully fit" prior to game start (with high fitness stats).  Gigantic unmanageable pain.

On the same topic: The score of the game honestly has WAAY too much effect on player morale just in general.  A lot of these players have "fairly professional" attitudes, and then just give up as soon as they're up by 2 goals.  And I've tried several different shouts at those players during the game and there's usually only one that works, (if at all) to remedy it, and only for 10 min or so.  There're 3-4 different kinds of complacency, and most of the shouts don't work to fix the problem.  I shouldn't have team captains with 13+ leadership and an almost entire team of starter players who make 2-5x the average salary in the league with 12-14+ determination & teamwork w/ Perfect morale (pre-game) ALL giving up at the halfway point in the game vs a top 5 team in our league just because they're up a couple goals.  We're only up like 6 pts on the pack, we can't afford to drop a bunch of games on that, and they should be acting accordingly, and I shouldn't have to remind them every 15 minutes.  The level of busy work that it takes to keep up morale is really what kills the fun quick in this game, & not just talking '23.  Some is ok, but it feels like all I'm doing is herding cats by a certain point in the season: for 4-5 months of each season, the game in a nutshells is just: "did I rotate enough for morale, have I had a conversation to praise/scold for morale 4x times this week for each player on the WHOLE SQUAD & which shout should I do for morale for the whole squad AGAIN this game AFTER both my pregame and halftime talk".  Too. many. morale. minigames.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments