• MLS: Registration issue when clearing squad registration

bfq_8
    • Files Uploaded: None Public Status: Resolved

Description of issue

This potential bug entails an issue that appears when attempting to submit/confirm squad registration for some teams in MLS, whereby when 'clearing' the squad registration to a blank slate using the Clear Selection button, there remains a portion of squad salary that is already allocated, despite there being zero players registered (i.e. with zero players registered, the maximum squad salary tracker should read $0; but, it instead reads between 0 and 3 times the maximum MLS salary budget charge of USD $612,500). Specific teams where this issue has been noticed include Dallas, Inter Miami, LA Galaxy, Nashville, Seattle and Vancouver - this issue does not appear to occur with certain teams - these include Chicago, NYRB and Philadelphia.

Initially looking into the issue, it appears this issue might be as a result of a clash between Guaranteed DP contracts and Young/U22 DP contracts? I've noticed that in most - but not all - cases, the inflated value of the squad salary calculator is proportional to the number of regular DPs on guaranteed contracts (ie. Young DPs do not similarly inflate the calculation). In the real world, as MLS does not have minimum salary requirements unlike other leagues (such as the Canadian Premier League), this value should be $0 when zero players are registered, regardless of any other factor, as per MLS roster rules and regulations.

To reproduce the issue:

- Start a new save, setting MLS as playable

- Choose one of the aforementioned teams (Dallas, Inter Miami, LA Galaxy, Nashville, Seattle and Vancouver) to play as; there are other teams where this issue can also be replicated)

- Proceed to Squad > Overview > Registration

- Clear the squad registration to a blank state using the 'Clear Selection' button in the bottom-right

- Check the "Maximum Squad Salary of $4,900,000 p/a" checklist item (fourth from top) - if replicated, this will be one of $612K, $1.22M or $1.83M.

*Please see uploaded save for further examples.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• SI Staff

I looked at this myself and can confirm the issue appears on most of the teams I looked at (Not Philadelphia, they were 0 - and only have 1 DP for reference).  I'm not sure at first glance what the issue is.  It doesn't appear to be related to injured players. It doesn't appear to be strictly DPs (there can be 3 DPs on a team and only 2 seem to be tied to the number).  GUaranteed contract was my best guess last night when I looked, but if that is the case there's some discrepancies between who is set as guaranteed in ORDB and who appears so in game.  It's also only impacting DP players as far as I can tell.  Untested theory - might be something to do with the new U22 rule?

Has there been any update to this? It still seems to be happening, my friend is playing as Austin FC and all his players keep getting unregistered and the wages are still taken so he can't register them as he's over cap with no one registered 

I had this same issue for FC Cincinnati for the 2023 season. Started fresh with nobody registered and the salary cap wages were already at $651.000 ( which also happens to be the minimum a high earner can be reduced to with GAM). It was $612,000 in 2022. 

To follow up on this issue, after clearing again to select different players for registration, the amount already in salary cap paid doubled to $1,300,000. Then it tripled to $1,950,000. Should be interesting to see if I can get around this problem or have to abort the save.