Just a plain old rant

This game is pretty unbalanced. It is impossible to defend effectively. IMO the main problem is in flawed defenders positioning. IE you can have three players running by one and they still do not tackle.

And when closing down wide players they always pic a wrong route so the player they should close down always gets away.

I would like to hear Your opinion.

No problem with defense. Atm I have allowed only 0.3 per game. But I know where you can find a reason why you have a problem. Look at mirror. It's right there.

Jokes aside, to make sure you don't see 3 players running by one give your defs slightly different instructions. One notch here and there makes a difference.

To an extent, I agree. Although there are "solutions", ordinary wingers shouldn't be capable of just flying past world-class defenders, surely? I have set my players to tackle players hard, close them down etc. and yet I am unsuccessful in this respect.

To an extent, I agree. Although there are "solutions", ordinary wingers shouldn't be capable of just flying past world-class defenders, surely? I have set my players to tackle players hard, close them down etc. and yet I am unsuccessful in this respect.

In that context it is likely you are playing to your defenders weaknesses while playing to the opponents strength. Most "ordinary wingers" are defined by agility, acceleration and dribbling and so are automatically adept at skipping past rash challenges.

In that context it is likely you are playing to your defenders weaknesses while playing to the opponents strength. Most "ordinary wingers" are defined by agility, acceleration and dribbling and so are automatically adept at skipping past rash challenges.

But I've tried both methods, normal tackling and hard tackling. closing down a lot and closing down a little.

But I've tried both methods, normal tackling and hard tackling. closing down a lot and closing down a little.

Find fullback with simulair "skills" to the wingers. Thats why I often retrain great youngster without flair (5-6 star potential) to fullbacks ...

Then you'll get great fullback with great agility and off the ball movement to cover their wingers.

Find fullback with simulair "skills" to the wingers. Thats why I often retrain great youngster without flair (5-6 star potential) to fullbacks ...

Then you'll get great fullback with great agility and off the ball movement to cover their wingers.

Thank you. I hope this will solve the problem, I've always trusted the game engine in every other aspect, so let's hope it's me!

Thank you. I hope this will solve the problem, I've always trusted the game engine in every other aspect, so let's hope it's me!

No its not you ... there's a slight "error" in the game engine causing even "weak" wingers to play brilliantly ...

1. Of course you'll need to check in the match if your fullback dont move up the pitch to much, therefor leaving space for opposing wingers...

2. Always check their wingers: bravery, strength, aggression ... If its lower than your fullbacks' ... Hard tackle! ...

PS. Watch out!!! Make sure your fullback have good anticipation/decisions otherwise they'll give away too much penalties/free kicks.

Good luck trying to win matches in the hardest FM so far :D (for me:D)

IE you can have three players running by one and they still do not tackle.

Not sure what you mean by that but I do sometimes see scenarios where players stick to marking as opposed to reacting 'logically' to the ball and it's context.

And when closing down wide players they always pic a wrong route so the player they should close down always gets away.

Personally I think there's an issue with closing down paths which gets magnified by the rigidity of full backs with respect to threats versus designated position as governed by defensive width, as well as late/no awareness of double covering unnecessarily. Just my two cents but I don't think any defender would make their first movements towards the ball carrier unless the distance was such that they felt they could make a quick challenge or immediately block their path.

But at the same time I feel for the coders as it can't be the easiest thing to balance. Players have to do the wrong thing sometimes and making that organic is difficult when the gamer is acutely AI aware.

Incidentally if you're not on 9.3 I would suggest patching as the paths are, in my opinion, improved over earlier ME versions.

Can ANYBODY here tell me how many times per match your world class FB took ball away from a mediocre winger? Not on key or even extended highlights - total. I bet almost nobody, because all we usually see is highlights. Check out your FB stats. And if he has 85%+ tackles won then what do you want? 100%? Be realistic. Even I can probably beat Ashley Cole or Evra once in a while:D

Only thing I sometimes have problems with is MCd/DMC droping to deep, failing to cover the space in front of the backline resulting in opposition DC/FB/DMC sometimes gliding in to that space to score unopposed. Its not a major problem but it is one that I dont seem to be able to solve.

No its not you ... there's a slight "error" in the game engine causing even "weak" wingers to play brilliantly ...

Not in my game. I play high line + wingers OI set to close down always. I almost never get beaten down the flanks. Almost all of that cutting in and slotting it near post malarkey has gone too.

My FBs are mediocre (had them when I was in the championship - now in the prem) and they shut out some pretty decent opposition.

My main issues with the ME at the back is that a ball played through to the left of your LCB will still inexplicably draw your RCB over as well, leaving at least one ST free in the box.

That, and trying to make my FBs mark the wingers and not random CMs/STs who are already being marked, is my main issue with the defence.

Oh, and CMs with zonal marking drop way too deep in the box - it's ususally a late-arriving CM who scores, because they never get picked up.

The marking's bugged, but the tackling's more than generous.

Has anyone made a solid away tactics for weaker teams?

IMO (like chievo, torino, Fulham, Boro...)

By solid tactic I mean that it is possible to be a match with the teams of the same strenght.

It might surprise you, but a tactic for Fulham could be quite different from one for Boro and definitely wil be different from one for Torino. I know nothing about this teams but a simple fact that teams in Italian league play quite differently from EPL teams tells me already that one tactic is unlikely to fit them all. More importantly, players are different. Defenders could be strong but slow or quick but not too experienced; MCs could be hardworking but not too creative or more creative but not good defensively, etc. Having Peter Crouch in your team dictates a tactic different from one with Tevez type player upfront.

Archived