The Premier League - What it says on the tin....

Thomaz

This FM 09 story follows the events (each day) of the English Premiership season 09/10 onwards (though of course, in the game, the year is 08/09). This database was made by SI forums member Q2thaz who had the primary database for download and did the promotions. I have edited it slightly since so it is up to date to this very day to the best of my knowledge.

I will start off with a preview of the teams in the league this season, starting with the first five!

----------------------

Friday, 15th August. (day before season starts)

Arsenal

With no players sold or brought in at the start of the season, the concern from Arsenal fans was considerably high. After last season’s bare minimum achievement, the cry out was for some experienced talent and quality to get into the team. There was no doubt they had the money to spend, but Wenger, thus far, had chosen not to invest in changes.

He explained: “Looking at our home record last season, it was impeccable. Away from home we struggled here and there and I think it’s about tactically getting it right. New players are not the answer, it’s getting the current crop of players to stand up and be counted and improve their mentality. If come January we’re in a poor situation, I will consider it, but right now I’m not looking at any major changes”

The fact Wenger mentioned no ‘major changes’ hinted that perhaps there was a chance Arsenal would bring in a player or maybe two before the transfer window closed, but clutching at straws came to mind.

----------------------

Aston Villa

Nearly made the holy grail of English football last season, but poor form from January onwards let them down. Martin O’Neil decided against major changes in the summer, with only Eidur Gudjohnson joining on loan from Barcelona. No players had left so far, but the future of Gareth Barry was still uncertain.

O’Neil: “We’re disappointed we didn’t maintain our form last season. We could have done and we’re annoyed we haven’t but it’s a new season and a new chance for us to make it. We hope to keep the balance of the team and that means keeping the players we currently have.”

----------------------

Birmingham City

Back again for another spell, and they’ll be hoping this one is a bit more fruitful.

Promoted from the Championship last season, Alex McCleish showed his delight in getting back up and expected his team to be successful in staying up.

McCleish: “We went down last time when we shouldn’t have in my view. We had a strong enough team to stay up. This year, we’re not much changed from last time and we have the same aim of staying up, if we can take a few people by surprise in the that would be great but we’ll take it as it comes.”

Birmingham had already secured the signings of midfielders Tom from Bulgarian side Litex for 700k and Luciana Galletti from Olympiakos for 4.4m.

----------------------

Blackburn Rovers

Sam Allardyce is much considered a hero for his antics with Blackburn last season, keeping them up by grabbing any points they could.

The aim now was surely to aspire higher and secure a mid-table place, but according to Allardyce himself the sky is the limit.

Allardyce: “Look at the past few seasons, you can’t have an aim for where to be. You go into every game to try and get something and come November December you could be anywhere. There’s always a surprise in store, so I think we need to just take each game as it comes and hopefully we’ll be somewhere good.”

Blackburn had made only one signing so far, with Sevilla winger Duda joining on loan.

----------------------

Bolton Wanderers

Like Blackburn, clambered their way to survival relying on late points in the season. The fans were less than impressed but Megson has stayed on and his antics in the transfer window showed that Bolton perhaps meant business.

Megson: “We’ve brought in four players so far and I have plans for a few more. We need to pull away from this relegation scrap we’re in these past few seasons and solidify ourselves in a mid-table spot and then we can push on. We’ve got the players, I’ve got the support of the chairman, we need to be solid this year and cut out the stupid goals we conceded last season, they were in abundance. Cut out those, and we could be in a good place come season end.”

Bolton had secured the signings of midfielder Mota from Seongnam for 1.3m, legendary striker Henrik Larsson from Helsingborg for 725k, defender Dorin Goian from Steaue Bucharest for 1.4m, and Ricardo Fernandes from Metalurg for 1.2m.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burnley

The surprise package of the year, they keep popping up don’t they?

A play-off final victory over Sheffield United sent them up to the Premier League, and Owen Coyle was confident they could remain there.

Coyle: “Wigan, Reading, and Hull have all defied the odds. They’ve been regarded as the teams that will go straight down after their first year but have stayed up and surprised a lot of people. I reckon we can do that as well, we have a very talented squad here with a great mentality. It’s all set up for a good season, regardless of what happens it will be a superb experience for the club and myself.”

Burnley had only signed two players so far in the transfer window, with Matthew Kilgallon joining from Sheffield United for 3m, and Paul Thirlwell from Carlisle for 130k.

----------------------

Chelsea

Marco van Basten had taken the helm at Stamford Bridge after Guus Hiddink’s short spell with the club. Chelsea finished 3rd last season and will want to rectify that with a title win this season.

Van Basten: “We have a good chance I think. The talent is here, but they need to perform to 100%. Last season they gave away some silly points toward the end, if we can stay solid and pick more points up at home we will definitely challenge and possibly win it. The job is made easy for me, the players are already here and the mentality is set, I need to get things right on the pitch now”

Chelsea had acquired just one player so far this summer, with Matteo Brighi joining from Roma for 7.75m. Meanwhile, Pizarro left on loan to Marsielle.

----------------------

Everton

Another 5th place finish for David Moyes who was working wonders with very little money. Nothing spent or earned this summer, Moyes ever imposed the financial strains and the aims of the club.

Moyes: “We’re not rich by any standards, finishing 5th doesn’t give you tons of cash. TV money is important, it helps us along but we don’t have tons to spend on players. We’ve been excellent considering what we’ve spent in the last few season, we will keep trying to hard to break into that top four and in my view one of them will drop soon. It’s up to ourselves to make sure we take it.”

Nothing on the transfer front from Everton thus far.

----------------------

Fulham

Roy Hodgson’s excellent antics last season put Fulham into a Europa League place. They will fight on a few fronts no doubt, and Hodgson wants the same spot or even more this season.

Hodgson: “We surprised a few last season, we’re hoping for the same again. The team is superb, a team of hard working professionals who care and want to achieve something. It’s great to be in Europe this season but we want to fight on in the league and to bring home a trophy from somewhere would be great too.”

Fulham secured the signings of Erik Edman from Wigan for 2.6m in July, along with the free transfer of Michael Owen from Newcastle – a signing met with slight distaste from the Fulham fans.

----------------------

Hull City

Staying up by the skin of their teeth, Phil Brown knew that this season would be tougher still. The players’ performances’ dropped like a stone come mid-season and relied on Newcastle’s slip up to stay up on the final day of last season.

Brown: “We got a bit fortunate but now it’s even tougher, it’s that illusive second season. We’ve got the players, you saw how they did last season anything is possible, but it’s a matter of staying up again this season as it will be even tougher. A lot of teams around us have improved, it’s a big test but one we’re looking forward to.”

Hull have signed midfielder Darren Pratley from Swansea and striker Martin Palermo from Boca Juniors so far this summer and are in the process of securing the services of Benjani from Manchester City.

Liverpool

Last season’s title challenge had surely left a somewhat bitter taste in the mouth of the Liverpool faithful, no more so than Rafa Benitez. However, the Spaniard was determined to turn things around and was positive that this season would see another close call.

Benitez: “We shot ourselves in the foot last season with our home performances. The amount of times we dropped points was disappointing and had we stepped up we would have won the league. It’s ironing out the little things, we can do that no problem. I am confident we can do it next season; I don’t think Manchester United will be able to keep it up a fourth straight year”.

A few youngsters out on loan for Liverpool, no one in or out…yet.

----------------------

Manchester City

The most talked about side of the summer and they hadn’t let the talk get to them. A whopping 91m had been spent already with potential plans for more players in. The Mark Hughes era could be taking a turn for the stronger, and with that the expectation was higher and the pressure also was, but Hughes isn’t put off by it.

Hughes: “I’m used to pressure, managers have to deal with it all the time. If anything, the pressure is less now as I have the players at my disposal to work with. We’ve spent a lot, but on paper our squad is quality so now it’s a matter of making it gel and getting the team into that illusive top 4 spot. The board aren’t panicking, they’ve given me three years to do it and I’m confident the team will deliver”.

Manchester City’s transfer dealings have gone as follows; Yury Zhirkov and Vagner Love both joined from CSKA Moscow for a combined fee of 30.75m. Darijo Srna and Fernandhino both joined from Shakhtar for a combined fee of 25m. Fabricio Coliccini joined from Newcastle for close to 11m, Valencia joined from Wigan for 10.75m, and Angelo Palombo joined from Sampdoria for near 15m.

----------------------

Manchester United

The champions aimed to earn their crown for a fourth consecutive year. Ronaldo had stayed on thus far and they looked just as strong as before, a thought echoed by manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

Ferguson: “We keep this team as it’s a team of winners. I signed Tevez as he is useful to us, many say he didn’t score enough but his contribution greatly helped us and without him other players would not have scored the goals they did. It’s a team effort, everything is, and it is that that will help us win the league again and hopefully some other trophies.”

No moves in the transfer market for Manchester Unites so far, and none expected before September.

----------------------

Portsmouth

A season of poor performance led to a poor finish for Portsmouth in the Premier League last season. Paul Hart stays on as manager despite Portsmouth’s new owners, and they will be hoping the money put into the team will go somewhere useful.

Hart: “We have been blessed with the arrival of Sulaiman Al Fahim who will help us financially compete with the rest in the league. We really feel the only was is up now, we can get good players in and hopefully that will increase our chances of getting toward a European spot. Last season was poor, but it’s behind us now, we look forward and try to achieve again.”

Portsmouth have so far landed Ignacio Gonzalez on loan from Valencia and also brought back Gary O’Neil from relegated Middlesbrough for 4.6m.

----------------------

Stoke City

The overachievers last season along with Fulham will be hoping to ever improve their position this coming season. A solid home record helped their survival, and manager Tony Pulis believes the experience will help the players greatly.

Pulis: “I don’t think we’ll suffer the second season curse. We are strong and difficult to play. We don’t try and play sublime football we try to play effective football and we will do again this season. We’ve added to our squad this season and kept our best players, the future is looking good and hopefully we can get another mid-table finish and perhaps a good cup run.”

Stoke have added Jiri Jarosik from Krylja Sovetov to their squad for 925k and signed Juan Valera from Atletico Madrid on loan.

I haven't been on the forums long' date=' so I'm not sure if this has been done before but I think potentially could be very good and interesting.[/quote']

Cheers mate. Early doors yet but hopefully will continue to develop into something people enjoy.

Sunderland

Ellis Short’s complete control of Sunderland leads the future to look bright for the northeast club. The departure of Ricky Sbragia was a surprise but Sunderland quickly moved to secure the services of Dave Jones from Cardiff, rather surprisingly again! Sunderland had a rather poor campaign last season only securing their Premiership place on the last day of the season, but Jones thinks the team can further themselves this season.

Jones: “We have a good chance of pulling away from the black hole that is relegation. We have good financial backing now and we’ve spent wisely so far and this team has always been strong, the omens are good. I’m very happy to have the chance to return to the Premier League and hopefully I can achieve something with Sunderland.”

Sunderland’s signings so far include winger Tom De Mul from Sevilla, Miguel Torres from Real Madrid, and the loan signing of Antonio Barragan from Deportivo.

----------------

Tottenham Hotspur

A disappointing season overall for Spurs in their previous campaign, but arguably Harry Redknapp’s arrival put revival in Spurs who finished in a respectable 8th place come season end. Plenty of money was spent last season and Redknapp believes the team is set and ready for success.

Redknapp: “Our team is a good team. If we didn’t have the poor start of two points from eight games we would have come close to 5th. Continuity is key, we have a terrific squad of players who all want to stay here and we want to keep it balanced and gelled together. We’re optimistic about this coming campaign.”

Many would be surprised to see no deals for Spurs so far this summer, mainly due to Redknapp’s philosophy but also due to money spent last season meant little was available this year.

----------------

West Ham United

Zola and Clarke did exceptionally well last season with West Ham finishing in 9th place despite an injury-ridden squad and lack of quality in their side. Zola hasn’t been able to spend much money this summer with only two loan signings so far, but he believes the squad is capable of a good season again.

Zola: “We want to win something. We have a good squad and a team like West Ham should be winning things. We did well last season but we want a proper achievement. I’m confident we have a squad capable of that but it’s important we keep the team fit as best as possible and the players stay consistent.”

The two loan signings West Ham secured are full-back Christian Molinaro from Juventus and midfielder Roberto Guano from Palermo.

----------------

Wigan Athletic

Steve Bruce did well with what he had at his disposal last season. Wigan finished comfortably mid-table last season, but this summer lost Antonio Valencia and with Wilson Palacios having left last January it was vital Wigan improved their squad this summer, which they arguably have done.

Bruce: “It’s always hard when you lose a key player. Wilson and Antonio were so important to us but they’ve gone and that’s that. We’ve done well with our money so far with some players in and more to come so hopefully that will help us push up and pressure other teams for a Europa League spot.”

Wigan’s signings include Jonathan Zebina on loan from Juventus, Dario Veron from Pumas for 2.9m, and Rangers duo Kevin Thomson and Kenny Miller, the latter on loan. Juan Angel Albin of Getafe and Dieumerci Mbokani of Standard Liege are both close to sealing moves to Wigan.

As previously mentioned, Edman and Valencia both left the club for Fulham and Manchester City respectively.

----------------

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Winners of the Championship last season, there was an air of expectancy around Molineux. Mick McCarthy had spent well and proposed his philosophy of finishing mid-table.

McCarthy: “I reckon we’re good enough for it, yes. Our team was great last year and I reckon we can challenge most Premiership sides, plus we’ve added some quality to the team. The chairman has backed me superbly in the last twelve months and I think with that support continuing we can stay in the Premiership for many years ahead.”

Wolves had secured three players thus far; David Norris from Ipswich, Flavio from Al-Ahly, and Kim Dong-Jin from Zenit.

Cheers Paul!

This is the first match report of the opening day. Every weekend when games are played I will make two big reports on the two bigger games of the weekend, the other games I will just cover major events and goals.

Saturday, 16th August

First day of the new season, the usual buzz was around. A warm sunny day, smell of freshly cut grass, it was geared up to be a good one.

The first game of the day would take place at The City of Manchester Stadium where Manchester City would entertain Hull in the 12:45pm kick-off. Sky Sports 1 were showing the game and got the words of Mark Hughes and Phil Brown prior to the match.

Hughes: “The first game is always something you look forward to and we’re all excited about it. A lot of new faces out there though and it will be tough for them today I reckon, but I have faith we’ll come away with a result”

Brown: “Couldn’t have a tougher start I suppose, but we’re optimistic. We’ve come here to win and after last season’s performance here there are a lot of players eager to bring home a win and convincing performance for the travelling support.”

Manchester City v Hull City – 12:45pm

TEAMS

Manchester City (4-5-1)

Given, Srna, Coloccini, Dunne, Bridge, Valenica, Palombo, De Jong, Ireland, Robinho, Vagner Love

Subs: Hart, Jo, Zhirkov, Richards, Wright-Phillips, Bellamy, Onuoha.

Hull City (4-4-2)

Myhill, Mendy, Zayatte, Turner, Ricketts, Bullard, Boateng, Kilbane, Halmosi, Cousin, Palermo

Subs: Warner, Mouyokolo, Dawson, Geovanni, Fagan, Gardner, Doyle.

The expectation was on Manchester City’s shoulders from the get-go. A stadium filled to the brim with fans old (and new) and a good atmosphere let you know it was the opening day. Hull packed the away end, the sun beat down on the stadium and pale British skin could be seen from miles up.

The opening ten minutes were spent largely in the Hull half. The Manchester City fans sung out ‘blue moon’ for the first five minutes, but seeing their team unable to break down a deep lying Hull team started to frustrate them quickly. Hull seemingly had come for the point, and their aimless early hoofing up to Cousin and Palermo was proving fruitless. Palermo was already visibly frustrated at his side’s incompetence to send a long ball his way, and this resulted in an almost comical gesture from Cousin as if to say ‘what do you expect?’

The first real talking point came on eleven minutes, and there were no prizes for guessing who it went to. A corner from the right for Manchester City was whipped in by Darijo Srna. Hull striker Palermo was back defending and seemed to pull back de Jong in the box in an attempt to get to the ball first, which he did. The ball was cleared, not an eyelid batted by the referee or linesman. Endless pressing from Man City but still to no avail.

The new signings for the home side seemed to be settling in well, they had time on the ball and were playing comfortably. However, they struggled when needing to advance forward with the ball, as the options to pass were limited. Hull were defending well for the most part and had thus nullified the attacking threat of Vagner Love, isolating him and keeping it narrow. City were starting to find their way down the flanks though and were winning quite a few corners which led to their next chance on twenty minutes. A corner wasn’t properly cleared and Palombo struck from the edge of the area sweetly with his right foot, fortunately for Hull, Myhill saw it all the way and comfortably saved it. A few minutes later Hull’s Kevin Kilbane picked up a knock after a clash with Nigel de Jong. Nathan Doyle replaced him, and from then on, Hull had lost their shape.

On the half-hour mark Robinho tried a long range shot that went high and wide, but it was the most space he had found all game and City started to find the gaps. Two chances in a minute soon followed for Vagner Love, a low shot parried and a header just wide saw City turning the screw. Hughes applauded enthusiastically, Brown stood silent with hands in pockets. On the 35-minute mark, Manchester City finally made their advantage count. Valencia had teased Zayatte all game, and won a corner on the left hand side. Robinho floated the corner over to the opposite edge of the six-yard box, where Palombo won an aerial challenge with Halmosi, the ball fell to Ireland seven yards out, and the midfielder smashed home first time off the post. The celebrations were emphatic; finally they had broken down the Hull door. Hughes seemed to subtly celebrate in front of Brown, who was emotionless.

Hull’s heads then dropped, and they paid for it big time as two minutes later City had their second goal. Angelo Palombo won the ball off of Nathan Doyle in the middle of park, he surged forward and then picked out Ireland forty yards from goal. Ireland ran into space and threaded an impeccable through-ball for Vagner Love who stood just outside the box, and the Brazilian made no mistake one-on-one with Myhill. Hull’s defensive line had moved up, but they had gone to sleep on Vagner Love who had surged between centre-halves Turner and Zayatte with ease. Hull promptly changed to a 4-4-1-1 formation, with Geovanni replacing the ineffective Cousin.

Time ticked down on a dominant Manchester City first half display, but there was still time for more, this time in not such brilliant fashion, but bizarre fashion on 44 minutes. A long ball was sent down the left hand side for Vagner Love to chase. He beat Turner to the ball and jogged back from the byline with the ball, seemingly holding it up. He then turned Turner and looked to cross right footed from near the edge of the box, but his cross was hit too hard and close to goal which took everyone by surprise, including goalkeeper Myhill, who in a late desperate scramble tried to prevent the ball looping into his far corner, but to no avail – Man City were 3-0 to the good. Vagner Love hardly celebrated. He grinned and hugged nearest player Robinho, as Phil Brown shook his head and for the first time this half took his seat in the dugout.

2 additional minutes were added, and many fans had headed for a half time beer, ****, or pie. It’s a shame they did, as they missed the fourth goal of the game deep in extra time. A throw in on the left hand side was taken by Bridge. Vagner Love picked up the ball in space near the edge of the area and with no Hull attempt at closing him down, whipped in a cross toward the centre of the penalty area where, very surprisingly, Fabricio Coloccini was waiting. The Argentine defender rose unmarked to nod passed the onrushing Myhill, the ball bounced off the underside of the bar and into the net. At first Colocinni didn’t celebrate, he glanced at the linesman who was trudging back toward the halfway line and at that point everyone knew it stood. Michael Turner ran off toward the linesman protesting it was offside – it certainly looked it but the goal stood and Manchester City had a 4-0 lead at half time.

The whistle brought great cheers from the home supporters who were loving it. Everyone glanced at Phil Brown – no half-time team talk on the pitch this time! He trudged off down the tunnel still with hands in pockets with Myhill and Turner arguing about something as they walked off. The game was seemingly over. Hull’s negative approach changed the moment they went one down, but their attempts to play with a bit of width and attacking prowess evidently cost them as Man City punished them with the space they had.

During half time, Hull fans were seen sitting looking miserable. Man City fans in their Robinho, Srna, Vager Love, and Richards shirts took in the sun and looked out over the bizarrely designed pitch pattern, which was somewhat chavy.

The second half couldn’t start soon enough for Manchester City, who trudged out first. Hull followed just after, the players doing high knees and clapping their hands toward their other teammates clearly determined to get back into this game, how they would do that was anyone’s guess.

With no changes for either side, the home side had clearly been told to relax. Man City were sitting comfortably and were knocking the ball around well. Hull chased feverously but couldn’t get a hold of the ball at first. The atmosphere died down as City kept quiet, but 10 minutes in created their first chance of the second half when Stephen Ireland fed Antonio Valencia into the area, but the ex-Wigan player couldn’t trouble Myhill from a tight angle.

On the hour mark, Hull brought Andy Dawson on for Peter Halmosi and reverted to a 5-3-2. Soon after, Hull created their first real chance of the game. Mendy combined down the right with Bullard, then the French full-back whipped in a deep cross which was headed over by Palermo, who should have done better from 7 yards out.

The game seemed to pitter out. Hull were holding onto the ball well now and were seemingly trying to prevent conceding more but were unable to create much themselves with a lack of options in midfield.. Man City made a double change on 72 minutes, standing ovations for Robinho and Vagner Love who went off for Yury Zhirkov and Jo respectively. Soon after, Shaun Wright-Phillips replaced Antonio Valencia.

The final chance of note went to Manchester City on 89 minutes. Zhirkov found space down the left, but Jo nodded his cross wide at the near post.

After 4 minutes of added time, the final whistle went and Manchester City had thumped survivors Hull. The Manchester City fans sounded their appreciation, the remaining Hull fans half made their way out and half applauded the players on the pitch who hardly noticed. Hughes looked chuffed, Brown inconsolable.

A good start for the new season with a game of goals and signs of quality with hopefully more to come.

Final Score – Manchester City 4 – 0 Hull City

Hughes: “We were brilliant first half, though it was tough to start with as we couldn’t break them down. We kept the ball superbly though and with the quality we have it was a matter of time before we broke them down. It got easier after that first goal, I think Hull’s heads dropped but it was a resounding result and I’m delighted for the new players who all put in very good shifts today.”

When asked about more players joining, Hughes replied, “We’ll see.”

Brown: “Carbon copy of last season unfortunately where the game was over at half time. We tried to sit deep and stifle them and catch them on the counter and we were doing fine up until they scored. Heads dropped and we imploded. Second half we tried to come out and do something about it but it was very tough. They overpowered us when we tried to get forward and our attacks pittered out every time. The challenge now is to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and try to put things right next week. It’s the first game of the season, to panic would be silly so we’ll try and get some points on the board next time.”

Coming up - Burnley travel to Sunderland and Wolves host the champions.

One of the other big games of the day took place at Molineux, where Premiership returnees Wolves hosted champions Manchester United in a 3pm kick-off.

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Manchester United – 3pm

TEAMS

Wolves (4-5-1)

Hennessey, Foley, Stearman, Shackell, Dong-Jin, Norris, Edwards, Berra, David Jones, Daniel Jones, Flavio.

Subs: Ikeme, Hill, Ward, Henry, Ebanks-Blake, Collins, Little.

Manchester United (4-4-2)

Van der Sar, Neville, Brown, Ferdinand, Evra, Ronaldo, Carrick, Fletcher, Giggs, Rooney, Tevez.

Subs: Foster, Nani, Hargreaves, Campbell, Evans, Ji-Sung, Tosic.

As the sun beat across cloudless England, Molineux was in full beauty especially as the sun’s rays picked up on the orange theme of the stadium. The scene was set, newly promoted side full of anticipation and excitement at home to the champions of the country – the place was rocking. Not an empty seat in the house, as Mick McCarthy and Alex Ferguson shook hands and shared a joke just outside the tunnel. The roar went up from all ends of the ground when referee Mike Jones blew his whistle, and Rooney and Tevez got the game underway.

With both sets of fans competing for noise in the stands, both teams were feeling each other out on the pitch. Manchester United though, got the early grasp. After just 2 minutes, Ronaldo found space on the right and roasted David Jones in the process. He ran to the byline and cut the ball back toward the near post. Tevez used Stearman for leverage, but couldn’t get his header on target as the ball went a foot over the bar.

Wolves went defensive after that moment, with Jones staying tight on Ronaldo and the 5-man midfield closing down at every opportunity. On the 15 minute mark though, Manchester United could have had a penalty. Giggs whipped in a corner from the left and David Edwards clambered on top of Ronaldo at the near post to head clear. Ronaldo did seemingly go down easily, but Edwards had his hands on the Portuguese midfielder before Giggs even impacted the ball from the corner. Ferguson did his clique jump and mini tantrum, Ronaldo followed suit.

Soon after the penalty shout, there was more controversy in the Wolves penalty area. Another corner taken by Giggs was barely cleared by Daniel Jones. Rooney surged to the edge of the area to retrieve the ball and his first time pass into the 6-yard-box was turned into the net by Ronaldo, with the whole defensive side motionless. Ronaldo’s spurt of joy was short lived, as the ironic cheers from Wolves fans came clear – the linesman’s flag was up. Replays proved inconclusive, but it had clearly shaken Wolves’ fans a second time and they were quieter now.

The initiative was now with United, they had the momentum suddenly and Wolves early huffing and puffing was going away. They continued to sit relatively deep but they weren’t playing narrow enough to restrict the movement of Manchester United, and Rooney nearly made them pay on 22 minutes. Carrick beat Stearman in the air and the ball fell toward Shackell 20 yards from the Wolves goal. He didn’t react quickly enough and Rooney took advantage. He nicked the ball past Shackell and was in on goal, but with the ball bouncing, took his chances from just inside the area. The ball whistled narrowly wide of Hennessey’s far post. A let off for Wolves, who looked increasingly shaky.

As we edged toward half time, Wolves were struggling to get any possession or get forward at all. Flavio was struggling on his debut, and when Brown robbed him inside the United half, the champions had their next chance. The resulting clearance went toward the on-rushing Tevez who was tripped by Shackell 30 yards out, the defender lucky not to get booked for it. Carrick took the resulting free kick, feeding Tevez at the edge of the penalty area. He turned Edwards with ease and was in on goal, but like Rooney in the previous chance, snatched at it and the ball sailed high and wide as Tevez sacrificed accuracy for power.

There was one more chance for Manchester United in the first half, in a now quiet Molineux. Darren Fletcher, who had been relatively quiet as well, picked the ball up from Evra’s throw on the left just inside the Wolves’ half. He then played an easy 20-yard pass to Tevez who was waiting outside the penalty area, the Argentine turned and lashed at goal, but again the ball went high wide and handsome.

The half time whistle couldn’t come soon enough for Wolves who were teetering somewhat. United would be frustrated with their first half display and with a whopping 60% possession in the first half, would need to make the second half count with the same possession and chances, but also goals.

The half time entertainment helped Wolves fans relax, but deep down they knew the second half would be just as tough. The teams emerged at the same time for the second half with a change for Wolves. Karl Henry had come on for Jason Shakell.

Wolves started the second half a lot livelier. They went through the flanks with Jones and Norris testing Brown and Evra for the first time today, and it led to their first chance of the game on 52 minutes. Norris fed Flavio outside the penalty area, and Ferdinand tripped the new Wolves striker. Daniel Jones stepped up to take the free kick, and from 22 yards out bent the ball over the wall and over the goal. An encouraging start for Wolves, who struggled to keep it going.

Wolves presence faded quickly as United isolated Flavio, and Norris and Jones couldn’t get beyond Brown and Evra. The away side found this the ideal time to strike, and they quickly took control of the second half as Wolves had pushed up. Carrick had a long range shot just after the hour hit the side netting, just after it – Daniel Jones who had suffered a knock came off for Neill Collins. 2 minutes after, another chance for Tevez but a similar outcome. Carrick took a free kick quickly and found Tevez waiting outside the box. The Argentine dinked past Henry and hit a 20 yard shot over the bar. Ferguson was getting visibly frustrated, however, he’d needn’t be concerned as United’s pressure finally paid off a few minutes later.

Straight after Wolves’ Matt Hill was brought on for debutant David Norris, Tevez was brought down outside the penalty area after Neill Collins obstructed him. Ryan Giggs stepped up and bent a 23-yard free kick into Hennessey’s left hand corner, with the keeper left stranded. The Man United fans behind the goal celebrated emphatically and were relieved to finally have their goal. Wolves could have no complaints.

Two more good chances for Manchester United soon followed, with Hennessey to thank for the first. Wolves didn’t properly deal with a Giggs corner, as the ball fell to Ferdinand in the box. From 8 yards out the defender lashed a volley at goal, which Hennessey did well to parry low to his right. Soon after, Ronaldo improvised and with some great close control found himself space on the edge of the box, but his left foot drive sailed over.

Molineux was quiet as ever now, at least for the Wolves fans. United fans sang their songs and despite having only a one goal lead, looked very comfortable. Late on Manchester United brought on Frazier Campbell for Carlos Tevez and Zoran Tosic came on for Ronaldo as the game ended without a whimper from Wolves and United safely went over the finish line.

Muted sound at the final whistle, the champions picking up where they left off and Wolves seeing the challenge ahead.

Final Score – Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 – 1 Manchester United

McCarthy: “We know the task ahead and today was one of the toughest games we’ll have this season. We struggled to create but defended well for the most part. United didn’t have a clear cut chance really, and if Giggs hits that free kick a foot to the left he misses and it’s a point for us, but hopefully we can pick something up next week as we’d like to pull away from our alphabetical position as soon as possible!”

Ferguson: “It was tough really, especially in the first half. Wolves kept it tight and made it difficult for us but we had our chances, we weren’t getting them on target though. We kept persisting though and in the end it was always going to be a moment of quality that was going to make a goal happen and Ryan Giggs provided that. He’s a superb player, a model pro and a delight to have around the dressing room. Not sure when he plans on retiring but the game will miss people like him, hopefully he stays in the game.”

Coming up – the rest of Saturday’s action

3pm

Birmingham City v Portsmouth

Birmingham’s return to the Premier League saw them get a home tie against Portsmouth. A good game was expected with Portsmouth aiming to improve on last season’s poor league performance and Birmingham hoping to get off to a good start.

TEAMS

Birmingham City (4-4-2)

Maik Taylor, Kelly, Martin Taylor, Ridgewell, Murphy, Galletti, Carsley, Larsson, McSheffrey, Jerome, McFadden.

Subs: Doyle, Bent, Tom, Queudrue, Phillips, Johnson, Pearce.

Portsmouth (4-5-1)

James, Johnson, Campbell, Distin, Belhadj, Little, Diop, Davis, O’Neil, Kranjcar, Utaka.

Subs: Ashdown, Mullins, Gonzalez, Kanu, Pamarot, Thomas, Basinas.

With St. Andrews in good voice and expectancy, the game got underway in Birmingham with belief in the stands that the blue side of Birmingham could achieve a good position in the Premier League. Portsmouth however got off to the brighter start, and Sean Davis’ 25-yard shot skimmed the top of the bar after only 5 minutes.

Most of the first half had been controlled by Portsmouth, but Birmingham were defending valiantly and were keeping Pompey at bay. Strikers Jerome and McFadden had thus far been ineffectual, but St. Andrews remained in good voice. On the half-hour mark Portsmouth got their second good chance and it was returnee Gary O’Neil who had the chance. Martin Taylor was robbed by the England midfielder, who surged forward, skipped past Liam Ridgewell, but then sent his shot over the bar when it would have been smarter to close in on goal.

Portsmouth chalked up another two good chances soon after, with Glen Little denied by a good Maik Taylor save and Gary O’Neil heading over from close range. Birmingham were struggling and their attacking attempts weren’t working, Portsmouth smothered the midfield and the off the ball moves of Little, O’Neil, and Utaka were causing Birmingham all kinds of problems.

The half ended after 2 minutes of extra time, with another chance coming for Portsmouth during that period – John Utaka lashing over from inside the box when it was easier to hit the target. The half time whistle couldn’t come soon enough for Birmingham, who looked very shoddy indeed.

The second half began rather slowly with Portsmouth seemingly tired after their dominant first half display. McFadden and Jerome were now seeing more of the ball though, and their runs were troubling the rather slow Campbell and Distin.

It took until the 70th minute for Birmingham’s first real chance, coming for Cameron Jerome. McFadden won a flick on at the near post from Kelly’s cross, Jerome came onto the ball with a thundering volley from 10 yards out which smashed into James and bounced clear.

It was in added on time where the winning goal came. Birmingham substitute Tom whipped in a corner from the right hand side, McFadden tried to run onto the ball attacking from deep but Campbell had a hold of his shirt and down he went. Phil Crossley had no hesitation pointing to the spot. McFadden did go down rather softly and probably could have reached the ball had he tried hard enough. Portsmouth players surrounded the referee in fury, Paul Hart visibly annoyed as well. Substitude Franck Queudrue stepped up to take the penalty, and 4 minutes into stoppage time tucked the penalty home into the right hand corner, sending James the wrong way. He ran straight to the supporters who celebrated like they had won the league. An almost smash and grab win from the Brummies, but you wonder whether they cared much!

Final Score: Birmingham City 1 – 0 Portsmouth

McLeish: “I’m delighted we’ve won today though we were a tad fortunate. We showed great attitude and the composure Franck (Queudrue) showed right at the end under so much pressure was great. For me staying up is all about home form. Look at Stoke last season, they were very good at home and that’s where you need to get points to achieve what you want, so it’s a good start for us.”

Hart: “I don’t think it’s a penalty. He goes down far too easily and I think the score line was harsh on us as we dominated the first half so it’s difficult to take. We did play well I think and had we had a little bit of luck we could have come away with 3 points today, as it is we haven’t and we look forward. I hope to add a player or two before the window closes and I think we’ll be set and ready for the coming campaign.”

3pm

Sunderland v Burnley

After Burnley’s 33-year absence from the top division, an away tie against Sunderland to restart their top league campaign awaited them. Sunderland’s new manager Dave Jones would want to get off to the best possible start, with statistically their easiest tie of the season.

TEAMS

Sunderland (4-4-2)

Gordon, Torres, Ferdinand, Collins, McCartney, Whitehead, Leadbitter, Richardson, Malbranque, Jones, Healy.

Subs: Fulop, Murphy, Reid, Barragan, Chopra, Tainio, McShane.

Burnley (3-5-2)

Jensen, Duff, Caldwell, Kilgallon, Eagles, McDonald, Gudjonsson, McCann, Mahon, Petersen, Blake.

Subs: Penny, Jordan, Kalvenes, Elliot, Berisha, Carlisle, Alexander.

A smattering of empty seats at The Stadium of Light but a good atmosphere all the same. Burnley fans packed the away end in good voice but sadly didn’t lead to them getting off on the stronger foot.

Sunderland controlled possession early on and even managed a goal after 8 minutes. Steed Malbranque fed Kieron Richardson just outside the Burnley penalty area, the England midfielder fed a cheeky through ball for David Healy who fired home left footed from 14 yards out. Jensen probably should have done better, but Sunderland’s early possession meant they probably deserved the lead.

After 19 minutes Sunderland probably should have doubled their lead. A corner from Dean Whitehead was won by the unmarked Kenwyne Jones at the near post and Brian Jenson was on hand to push the ball away, but Sunderland had Burnley pegged back now and Owen Coyle needed to do something to relieve pressure.

He did just that soon after Jones’ chance, keeping Burnley narrow and deep lying. Sunderland were unable to break down the resilient Lancashire side and Burnley were eventually able to catch the Black Cats on the break right on half-time. Chris McCann hit a blinding left foot shot from the edge of the Sunderland penalty area, which crashed off the left hand post and out toward the penalty area. The ball came across goal with everyone stuck still to react, except for Chris Eagles who accelerated into the box to tuck the ball home from the edge of the 6-yard box. The Burnley fans behind the goal were filled with joy, as was manager Owen Coyle.

The ref signalled half time very soon after. Sunderland were booed off the pitch rather harshly.

The second half started with a rather timid Sunderland side who may have received the hair dryer treatment from manager Dave Jones, but it clearly hadn’t helped them and Burnley nearly made them pay a second time 10 minutes into the second half. Sunderland were late in the challenge, and Malbranque’s tackle on Robbie Blake was just that on 54 minutes. Blake stepped up and curled his 20-yard free kick narrowly wide of Gordon’s left hand post.

3 minutes later though, Burnley had their goal. Sunderland’s poor tackling at long last had punished them as George McCartney brought down Chris Eagles in the Sunderland penalty area after the ex-Man United player had nutmegged him. Robbie Blake was the man to step up again, and he tucked the penalty home just inside the left hand post, with Gordon hardly moving. Dave Jones made no hesitation in bringing off George McCartney for Paul McShane, with Teemu Tainio also coming on for Grant Leadbitter.

Sunderland remained ineffective, using Kenwyne Jones as a target man worked somewhat, with the ball to feet – but Burnley were defending well and sending the big striker away from the box and into the corner where he would lose the ball.

On 74 minutes however, Sunderland were dealt something of a lifeline. Healy received the ball on the edge of the Burnley penalty area, his attempt to turn however was halted by Steven Caldwell who seemed to obstruct the Sunderland striker. Steve Tanner didn’t hesitate to show the defender the red card, which surprised most people. Owen Coyle sent everyone back now for Burnley as they attempted to ride out the remaining 15 or so minutes.

Sunderland tried to press, but they only managed two chances in the remaining ten minutes. Kieron Richardson’s shot went narrowly over from the edge of the box but the second chance should have been a goal. Dean Whitehead, who hit the ball on the half volley, turned a Richardson corner over the bar at the near post. He was unmarked and perhaps even had time to control it but he should have scored either way.

Burnley rode out extra-time and had got off to a winning start at a difficult place. Burnley fans were loving it, Sunderland were feeling the pressure of new money and manager as Sunderland fans booed the Black Cats off the pitch.

Final Score: Sunderland 1 – 2 Burnley

Jones: “We didn’t play well, plain and simple. It’s a shame because it’s the first game of the season and no offence to Burnley but we should be winning these games. We had most of the possession but lacked the quality up top to threaten their defence. After they had their man sent off we sensed the opportunity but the only real chance we had went over the bar. Hopefully the players aren’t affected by this defeat, but I’m not happy.”

Coyle: “Feels great to have won today, it really does. I told the players they were under no pressure and they delivered very well, especially as we went behind very early on. If we can show the same attitude we did today and put in a similar defensive display we will have no trouble picking up points, but the key is believing we can get points off of anyone.”

3pm

Everton v Stoke City

Everton still had the determination to crack the illusive top four. Stoke would be hoping the second season curse didn’t…curse them!

Everton (4-4-1-1)

Howard, Hibbert, Yobo, Jagielka, Lescott, Osman, Cahill, Neville, Baines, Pienaar, Yakubu.

Subs: Nash, Saha, Gosling, Jacobsen, Anichebe, Rodwell, Valente.

Stoke City (4-4-2)

Sorensen, Wilkins, Abdoulaye Faye, Shawcross, Higginbotham, Valera, Diao, Amdy Faye, Jarosik, Fuller, Kitson.

Subs: Simonsen, Griffin, Dickinson, Lawrence, Cresswell, Sonko, Cort.

Another sun drenched ground in England and more expectancy placed on the shoulders of Everton.

Ricardo Fuller’s early pace caused Everton problems and he created a decent chance after 17 minutes. Amdy Faye’s freekick was whipped in with pace, Fuller met the ball at the back post but could only turn his shot into the hands of Howard. Soon after Everton had a good chance as Pieenar hit the post from close range.

28 minutes had gone when Phil Neville was sent to the dressing room for pulling down Ricardo Fuller when he was in on goal. Everton were down to 10 men but they didn’t let it affect them as they reverted to a 4-4-1.

It was Stoke, however, who had taken the initiative. Jiri Jarosik grabbed a debut goal for Stoke when he met Wilkinson’s cross at the back post. The ball squirmed underneath Howard and Stoke had a rather fortunate lead on the stroke of half time.

It was 8 minutes into the second half when Everton got their equaliser. Steve Pieenar’s cross from the edge of the penalty area was met by a towering header from Victor Anichebe at the back post and his looping header found the net inside the far post.

It was 10 minutes later when Everton had turned the game around. Leighton Baines whipped in a cross from the byline just outside the penalty area, and Yakubu met the ball ahead of Danny Higginbotham at the back post from 5 yards to put the Toffees in front.

Jarosik and Diao created late chances for Stoke, both efforts going over the bar. In the end Everton held out and recorded a winning start.

Final Score: Everton 2 – 1 Stoke City

Moyes: “I hope we can crack it (the top 4) yes. It will be tough of course with Manchester City’s money and the other teams trying but we will push the best we can. I thought we were good today and deserved the win, it was tough when Phil (Neville) went off as Stoke are an efficient side but the result was fair in my view.”

Pulis: “Obviously I’m looking forward to this season as it’s a big test for us. I’m confident we can keep up our good home record this year and hopefully we can tidy up our away form and you never know where we could end up. Disappointed we didn’t get something today."

-------------------

Fulham v Bolton Wanderers

After a very good previous campaign, Roy Hodgson’s Fulham looked to repeat their fate in this season. Bolton would look to move past their frequent relegation battles.

Fulham (4-4-2)

Schwarzer, Stoor, Hangeland, Hughes, Edman, Davies, Teymourian, Dempsey, Konchesky, Owen, Johnson.

Subs: Zuberbuhler, Kamara, Murphy, Kallio, Nevland, Pantsil, Omozusi.

Bolton Wanderers (4-5-1)

Jaaskelainen, Steinsson, Cahill, Goian, Samuel, Mota, Muamba, McCann, Fernandes, Gardner, Elmander.

Subs: Al Habsi, Shittu, Hunt, Davies, Larsson, Joey O’Brien, Andy O’Brien.

Craven Cottage was awash with white on this fine summer day in west London. Owen’s debut was much talked about and many wondered whether the England striker could recapture his Liverpool form.

Whether he would or not remained inconclusive, but he certainly started well for Fulham grabbing a goal after 10 minutes. Erik Edman’s throw down the left hand side was ran onto by Andy Johnson. Johnson’s deep cross was met at the far post by Owen, who leaped ahead of Ricardo Gardner, and headed beyond Jaaskelainen to give Fulham an early lead.

It was only 5 minutes later when Fulham doubled their advantage. Andy Johnson found space in the penalty area and his shot was parried by Jaaskelainen into the path of Clint Dempsey, who stroked home with ease from 12 yards out. Bolton seemed to be sinking without a trace. Owen created another chance soon after which Jaaskelainen dealt with well, then soon afterwards Bolton created their first real chance as Ricardo Gardner cracked a 25 yard strike onto the bar.

Johnson and Owen were causing all kinds of problems for the Bolton defence, and the former was again denied by Jaaskelainen after 27 minutes as Fulham turned the screw. As it was, the half ended with Fulham having a two-goal lead.

Right at the start of the second half though, Bolton pulled their way back into the game. Mota’s sublime cross-field pass found Gardner in space, he surged forward into the box and tucked the ball under Schwarzer from 14 yards to set up what could be a great second half.

As it was, Muamba and Teymourian created decent chances from outside the penalty area which didn’t really threaten the Fulham goal, and the game pittered out as Fulham came away victorious.

Final Score: Fulham 2 – 1 Bolton Wanderers

Hodgson: “We started very well and our first half overall was very good. I thought Michael (Owen) had a good game and he looks very enthusiastic to be playing here. Erik Edman was also very solid. We need to try and kill games off though as Bolton had their moments in the second half and it could have ended with a point a piece instead of 3 for us.”

Megson: “Poor start cost us really, we gave away two soft goals. Jussi made some good saves to keep us in the game and we started the second half very well with an early goal but we struggled after that to properly threaten their goal. They’re a good side though and I think they will finish well again this season.”

5:15pm

Wigan Athletic v Chelsea

The final game of the day took place at the JJB Stadium where Chelsea took on Wigan Athletic. This is a repeat fixture of the opening day back in 2005 when Wigan started their first PL campaign.

TEAMS

Wigan Athletic (4-4-1-1)

Kirkland, Zebina, Boyce, Scharner, Figueroa, Koumas, Cattermole, Thomson, N’Zogbia, Kapo, King.

Subs: Pollitt, Melchiot, Bramble, Brown, Rodallega, Veron, Won-Hee.

Chelsea (4-4-2)

Cech, Belletti, Terry, Alex, Cole, Brighi, Lampard, Essien, Kalou, Drogba, Anelka.

Subs: Hilario, Shevchenko, Deco, Carvalho, Sahar, Ballack, Ivanovic.

Wigan fans could be forgiven for thinking they may not get off to a winning start against a revitalised Chelsea team.

They didn’t get off to a good start in the game let alone a winning start as Chelsea took the lead 15 minutes in. Drogba was fouled by Thomson on the edge of the Wigan penalty area, and Drogba himself dispatched the free kick goal-wards from 20 yards and the ball sailed into the top right hand corner giving Chelsea an early lead.

Chris Kirkland was again called into action a few minutes later to deny Lampard and Anelka from range, before Drogba should have buried a great chance for Chelsea inside the box after 23 minutes.

Wigan got their first real chance soon after, with Marlon King being put through one on one by Jason Koumas. The striker could only drag his shot wide though, with Cech bearing down on him. Kapo tried his luck shortly after, but his left foot shot from the edge of the box went into the side netting as Wigan looked to get back in the game.

Brighi and Anelka had late half chances for Chelsea with both shots going over the bar as the half ended in Chelsea’s favour.

A carbon copy of Drogba’s goal was scored five minutes into the second half, this time from Wigan. Jason Koumas curled a peach of a strike into the top right hand corner from 20 yards after Terry obstructed King.

Drogba was denied by Kirkland from a tight angle soon after, but then made no mistake in bagging his and Chelsea’s second on 57 minutes. Soloman Kalou cut inside from the left and his exquisite through ball found Drogba just outside the box and the Ivorian striker drilled a low hard shot under Chris Kirkland from just inside the penalty area to give the London side the lead.

The half wore on with both sides finding space and chances but it was so far Chelsea who had made it count. Cattermole and Lampard both had shots from distance whistle over the bar, but the scoring was then wrapped up in the 89th minute. Anelka surged forward on the counter for Chelsea but was snuffed out by Scharner. The ball fell to Boyce who smacked his clearance against Scharner’s knee, the ball bounced out to the other side of the box where Drogba waited, and the big striker made no mistake to seal his hat trick and sent Chelsea home with all 3 points.

Final Score: Wigan Athletic 1 – 3 Chelsea

Bruce: “I don’t think the scoreline reflected the game. I thought we played well in patches and could have had another goal or two but against a top team like Chelsea it’s never easy. Drogba was sensational for them and when you’ve got players of that quality in your side you’re going to win games and he virtually single handedly got them the win today.”

Van Basten: “It’s a good start and I’m delighted with the way we played. I am especially pleased for Didier (Drogba) because he feels the pressure quite easy and he wanted to get off the mark with a goal today but instead he got 3 so that’s great. I intend to bring this team the title this year, it will be tough but we have the resources and strength so we can do it but even if we don’t we will come very close.”

-----------------

So the first day of action was done and out the way.

Birmingham City 1 – 0 Portsmouth

Everton 2 – 1 Stoke City

Fulham 2 – 1 Bolton Wanderers

Manchester City 4 – 0 Hull City

Sunderland 1 – 2 Burnley

Wigan Athletic 1 – 3 Chelsea

Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 – 1 Manchester United

Plenty of goals is what every football wants and plenty of goals is exactly what they got. A good start for the two top sides of the day with a mixed bag for the newly promoted group but mostly a positive one. Hull looked to be suffering from second season syndrome already and Manchester City perhaps were putting out a warning to the rest in the league.

There would be two games on the Sunday, as Aston Villa take on West Ham and a north-London derby takes place at the Emirates.

380 games, but still a mammoth achievement. You write very well, and the managers' comments are a nice touch. Here's hoping for a title and North London derby win for the Gunners, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this regardless.

Sunday, 17th August.

With yesterday’s action leaving everyone chomping at the bit for more, it was time for a double-header in London.

3pm

The first game of the day would take place at Upton Park where West Ham hosted Aston Villa. Aston Villa bagged Europa League football after a good campaign last season but West Ham narrowly missed out on it. Both would want to get off to a good start in order to progress.

TEAMS

West Ham United (4-4-2)

Green, Neill, Collins, Upson, Ilunga, Faubert, Guana, Bowyer, Behrami, Ashton, Cole.

Subs: Walker, Davenport, Tomkins, Parker, Tristan, Eyjolfsson, Spence.

Aston Villa (4-5-1)

Friedel, Young, Davies, Cuellar, Shorey, Milner, Sidwell, Reo-Coker, Barry, Young, Heskey.

Subs: Guzan, Gudjohnson, Gardner, Carew, Knight, Agbonlahor, Salifou.

Another dry day today, but slightly cooler as West Ham fans sang out Forever Blowing Bubbles while Villa fans sang their team’s surname. With West Ham struggling again financially there was slight tension around the camp and with the future of Villa’s Gareth Barry still uncertain neither side were particularly gung-ho positive for the coming game.

After 10 minutes of the game, Villa had created the first meaningful chance. Bowyer’s attempted pass forward was blocked by Sidwell and the ball fell to Ashley Young. He took the ball past Lucas Neill and surged into the area but couldn’t keep his shot down as Villa took the early initiative.

West Ham sat deep and attempted to stifle the balls to Emile Heskey, which they succeeded in doing and finally created their first meaningful chance on the half hour mark. A quickly taken free kick by Bowyer saw Behrami find space outside the box, but his left foot shot sailed high and wide.

It wasn’t the most entertaining of games and the atmosphere had understandably gone flat. The game then burst into life as we entered the final 10 minutes of the half.

First, Julien Faubert lashed wide from close range on 37 minutes after Cole found him free in the box. The best chance of the game so far and the Frenchman should have done better. Then just 3 minutes later, West Ham found themselves down to 10 men. Heskey had the ball deep in the corner of the pitch, and Herita Ilunga inexplicably came in from behind with two feet despite closely marking the player. Uriah Rennie had no hesitation in sending the defender off for what was a shocking piece of behaviour.

Time ticked down on the half and the teams went in at half time without a goal apiece. The task was on for West Ham in the second half to hold out for what was expected to be an Aston Villa onslaught.

Scott Parker replaced Dean Ashton at half time as West Ham moved to a 4-4-1, and the change made an early difference. Bowyer took a free kick on the right hand side which was half way in the Villa half. He whipped it in with pace and it arrived to Scott Parker at the back post, who’s towering header smashed back off the bar.

Following that though, Villa had a smattering of chances themselves as the game opened up. First, on 56 minutes, Robert Green had to tip over an Emile Heskey header after great work from Milner down the right. Then 5 minutes later, substitute Eidur Gudjohnson picked up Gareth Barry’s lay-off and lashed a 30-yard strike just over the West Ham bar.

West Ham continued to sit deep after that in a desperate attempt to relieve pressure on their goal. It worked for the most part, as Villa didn’t create their next meaningful chance until the 76th minute. It was Gudjohnson again who tested them, as he bent a shot from 20-yards out, which Robert Green had to parry away. Shortly after, West Ham’s resilience failed. Luke Young played a deep cross in from the right and substitute John Carew rose highest at the back post to head across goal and find the far corner. West Ham were seemingly done.

Or so it seemed! Just 3 minutes later and they sprung a surprise attack. Lee Bowyer had his back to goal just outside the penalty area and his excellent reverse pass found Guana inside the left hand side of the penalty area, and he tucked the ball home at Friedel’s near post from 12 yards to send the West Ham fans into raptures. Villa were fuming as it seemed Guana was offside, replays showed he may have been marginally off.

West Ham sat back on their 18-yard line soon after and rode out extra time to collect a point. Neither side could be too disappointed about that.

Final Score: West Ham United 1 – 1 Aston Villa

Zola: “When you’re down to ten men it is very tough, especially against a team like Aston Villa. We held on well though and I think a point was fair in the end. I’m disappointed with Ilunga because he is a model professional, so for him to act the way he did is both disappointing and surprising. I will talk to him though and we will move on.”

O’Neill: “I’m disappointed we didn’t make our pressure count but at the same time a point here is no shame. We had the luxury of an extra man in the second half and it’s a shame we didn’t take advantage of it enough.”

With regards to West Ham’s goal: “It looked offside to me but you get some decisions and some you don’t, I can’t complain too much.”

Coming up - Arsenal against Tottenham

4pm

The end of the weekend’s action would take place at the Emirates Stadium in a north-London derby between Arsenal and Spurs. In the corresponding fixture last season, a 93rd minute equaliser from Aaron Lennon topped off a classic 4-4 draw between these two sides.

Arsenal v Tottenham Hotspur

Sky Sports 1 covered the action and got a hold of Wenger and Redknapp prior to the match.

Wenger: “We go and attack as we usually do, with considered style. I expect a tough game as Spurs are no pushovers but I think our quality in the end will mean we will triumph. Yes, we have injuries, but I’m confident the team I have out can do the job.”

Redknapp: “Last season is in our minds. We were poor here last season but still got a result meaning we are totally within a chance today, but we want to play well and win. They will definitely attack so it should be an interesting game.”

TEAMS

Arsenal (4-4-2)

Almunia, Sagna, Gallas, Toure, Clichy, Eboue, Fabregas, Ramsey, Traore, Adebayor, Arshavin.

Subs: Fabianski, Eduardo, Vela, Nasri, Senderos, Sunu, Murphy.

Tottenham Hotspur (4-4-2)

Gomes, Hutton, Woodgate, King, Bale, Bentley, Huddlestone, Palacios, Gilberto, Keane, Defoe.

Subs: Cudicini, Corluka, Chimbonda, Lennon, Bent, Dawson, Assou-Ekotto.

On a cool but dry day in North London the atmosphere was rocking. The ever-superb away support of Tottenham sang out with pride as Arsenal fans did the same. Both teams lined up and shook hands and took their sides as the last the game of the weekend was set to get underway. Keane and Defoe got the game started, as a roar went up from all sides of the stadium.

It was early on, and it was somewhat easy to see why Spurs could struggle in this game as the presence of Defoe and Keane wasn’t strong enough. Long balls were proving useless, as they were beaten in the air every time. The Arsenal back line was disciplined and it would be tough for Spurs to catch them out on the last defender. Arsenal were enjoying a good spell of possession, but the opening 10 minutes proved fruitless for both sides as they both attempted to feel each other out.

It was on 11 minutes when the first chance of the game came, and what a chance it was. After Arshavin had had a decent effort saved by Gomes, Fabregas tripped Huddlestone outside the Arsenal penalty area and up stepped ex-Arsenal player David Bentley to take the free kick. From 23 yards, he bent a peach of a shot toward Almunia’s left hand corner, but the ball crashed off the outside of the post and Arsenal scrambled clear. Half the ground thought it was in, including Redknapp who punched the air in frustration.

On 19 minutes, Arsenal had their first proper chance. Eboue’s surging run down the right side saw him get away from Bale. He cut the ball back from the byline and there waited Fabregas unmarked at the near post. He took the shot first time, but from 9 yards could only place the ball across goal and off the post, goal kick Spurs, but what a let off.

Arsenal kept up the pressure as Spurs tried to get forward, but their one-dimensional forward line was being sussed far too easily and Arsenal soaked up their pressure easily and bombed forward on the counter. It was on 27 minutes when their next chance came as nervous Spurs fans looked on and Arsenal fans tried to push their side on. Arshavin picked the ball up outside the penalty area and his reverse pass found Traore in the box. He had so much time but still took a touch too many seemingly trying to round Gomes, who forced Traore wide and then pushed his shot out for a corner. Soon after, Gareth Bale denied Eboue with a crucial block.

Spurs sat deep soon after, defending on their 18-yard line while Keane and Defoe sat waiting near the half way line, with Keane dropping slightly deeper. Spurs managed to deny Arsenal a chance for the next 15 or so minutes, before Traore’s stinging drive from outside the box was parried by Gomes.

The teams then went in at half time slightly disappointed. Arsenal had had most of the possession and chances, their slick football sublime at times. Spurs on the other hand couldn’t create anything at the moment. Spurs fans restarted their songs as they could relax again, but the second half would be interesting as they wanted to win but were struggling to stamp their authority…a somewhat weakened Arsenal team were outplaying them. It didn’t help that Keane and Defoe were paired together; something that has always been renowned as ‘something that just couldn’t work’ and that was so far being proven.

The teams emerged at the same time for the second half as the volume was turned up once again.

It took two minutes for Arsenal to test the Spurs goal once again. Gomes increasingly invited pressure on his team with his long hoofs to Keane and Arsenal would come forward again. Fabregas threaded a superb through ball from outside the box for Arshavin, who got in behind Woodgate and with just the Brazilian keeper to beat, smashed the ball against him and went out for a corner. Would Arsenal end up ruing these missed chances?

With Spurs having not changed their set up, Arsenal kept the pressure up and Aaron Ramsey created the next meaningful chance on 53 minutes as his 25 yard effort went a whisker past Gomes’ right hand post. Again Spurs sat deep, nullifying the Arsenal attack as they did in the remaining 15 minutes of the first half and actually managed to get forward and create a chance just after the hour, as intelligent play ended with Huddlestone shooting from just outside the area. Almunia parried the ball when he probably should have held it, and Arsenal were fortunate Keane wasn’t awake enough to smash home the rebound.

3 minutes following that, Keane was involved in another incident, as he became the fourth player of the opening weekend to see a red card. William Gallas had been in full control all game against him and Keane had hardly had a sniff. Again Gallas intercepted a pass his way, and Keane had had enough. He lunged in from behind two footed and down Gallas went. No hesitation from Howard Webb, who brought out the red card. Keane rather amusingly tried to protest his innocence, but to no avail…there were no arguments from the Spurs players either. Redknapp stood stone-faced as Keane walked passed him with Wenger barking out new instructions.

Soon after, Arsenal got a corner and Gomes tipped Sagna’s towering header over well. Arsenal fans were well behind their team now, as Spurs looked nervier than ever. Adebayor then found space in the box but his shot was superbly pushed away by Gomes to outside the penalty area where Aaron Ramsey stood. The welsh midfielder pinged a shot toward goal which again Gomes parried as Arsenal turned the screw. Dawson then replaced Huddlestone as Spurs went to a 5-3-1.

With 15 minutes left, the white side of north London were reeling. Arsenal went 4-2-4 in a desperate attempt to grab a goal as Vela, Eduardo, and Sunu came on for Eboue, Traore, and Arshavin. Soon after, Fabregas’ free kick from the edge of the box was tipped over by Gomes. From the resulting corner, Adebayor again found space in the box after turning Woodgate, but from 12-yards Gomes pushed his shot away. From the resulting counter attack Defoe was sent away up against Gallas and Toure. He got beyond Gallas, was up against Toure, and then tried a weaker footed shot, which narrowly sailed beyond Almunia’s far post.

On 81 minutes Gomes was again called into action as Adebayor surged passed Woodgate and was in one-on-one. It was a tight angle for the lanky striker though, and Gomes did superbly to get down and push the ball wide. The Brazilian keeper was single handily getting Spurs a point at this rate.

With very little time remaining, Spurs sat everyone back in a desperate attempt to keep hold of a point. Arsenal couldn’t play slick passing anymore and had to hoof into the box, but no one was there to win the ball. Spurs caught Arsenal out on the counter with added time looming, and David Bentley’s excellent cross was met by Wilson Palacios 12 yards out. The ball seemed to take an age to reach the goal, and Manuel Almunia somehow managed to scoop the ball over the bar at full stretch. Spurs could have nicked it there and then.

Added on time was very little which annoyed Arsene Wenger. Spurs kept the ball well now and were playing a nice slow tempo, sitting deep, and keeping it narrow. The final whistle went with boos around most of the ground, Spurs fans clapped the result but will be wondering they were able to survive. A combination of poor finishing and great goalkeeping kept the net from bulging. Arsenal will understandably be the more disappointed of the two sides.

A great game to watch, just a shame no goals involved.

Final Score: Arsenal 0 – 0 Tottenham Hotspur

Wenger: “We dominated, and that’s being kind. If their goalkeeper is not having a great day we thrash them. It’s very disappointing because we played so well but don’t win. Hopefully we will have the luck next time and we can put in a proper challenge for the title this season, but we need to put our finishing boots on in order to do that.”

Redknapp: “He’s a terrific goalkeeper (Gomes), he came in for so much flack last season but he’s a great player. He’s done very well and kept us a point today, we didn’t play well and have to be thankful for his presence and their poor finishing. It’s one of the tougher games out of the way though, so now we can move on and hopefully get a win next week.”

Regarding Keane: “It was a silly thing to do, the moment go to him and he was frustrated but it’s poor professionalism and it didn’t do us any favours for the remainder of the game.”

Coming up – A week of wheeling and dealing.

NOTE - you may be curious as to why niether Blackburn or Liverpool played this weekend - well it's a mystery to me as well!

Monday, 18th August

A good weekend for Burnley, and the following week looked like it could be a good one as well as they wrapped up the signing of 21-year-old midfielder David Robertson from Dundee United for 150k. Burnley boss Owen Coyle and midfielder Kevin McDonald mentioned their delight in capturing the Scottish midfielder.

McDonald: “I’ve played with him at under 21 level for Scotland and he’s a top player, I think he will do well here in England. He’s a hard working player and he can score goals which we need in our team this season.”

Coyle: “I’ve watched David for a while and I think he’s an exceptional talent. He’ll add depth to our already talented squad of players and we have a player who can chip in with goals as well which is great. We got him for a very good price too, hopefully he’ll adapt to the league quickly.”

Robertson himself mentioned how delighted he was to be playing for Burnley and in the Premier League: “It’s great to be here, it really is. I’ve always wanted to play in the Premier League and although I love Dundee United it was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up. I like what Owen Coyle has done for Burnley, he’s done very well and I think we have a great chance this season to stay up and perhaps win something.”

Meanwhile, Birmingham’s Alex McLeish was reportedly chasing Rangers midfielder Brahim Hemdani. The Algerian midfielder is on the transfer list at Ibrox and is apparently hoping for a ‘speedy resolution’ to the situation.

Tuesday, 19th August

A quiet day on the Premier League front as news focussed on England’s up and coming game against the Czech Republic.

Portsmouth midfielder Marc Wilson departed Fratton Park for Ipswich Town in a 925k deal.

Celtic winger Barry Robson announced how he’d love to move to the Premier League, and Lille’s Yohan Cabaye spoke about how a move to Sunderland was something he would welcome.

Sunderland and Birmingham took up most of the space in the newspapers’ transfer rumour pages, with some somewhat surprisingly big names mentioned.

Wednesday, 20th August

The only news today was that Getafe midfielder Juan Angel Albin was discussing terms with Wolves and Wigan who had both had offers accepted by the Spanish club.

Sunderland and a number of other clubs were also waiting in the wings however as 11 days remained of the transfer window.

Thursday, 21st August

Wolves won the race to sign 22-year-old Getafe midfielder Juan Angel Albin for 3.5m. The Uruguayan midfielder penned a 4-year deal at Molinuex.

The signing was met with much joy from the Wolves faithful, and Albin himself.

Albin: “It’s a joy to be here and I can’t wait to get started. Mick McCarthy was superb from the moment I met him and he really sold the club to me. He spoke of the ambition he has for the club and I think we can go far if we can get what he wants. I’m still young and I want to develop, I hope I can do that here.”

McCarthy: “He’s a terrific young player and he will add quality to our squad that I feel we’ve been missing. He’s an excellent technical player who can play in midfield or up front. He can create something out of nothing and when you need that extra bit of skill in tough situations he can bring that.”

Meanwhile, Birmingham had a 300k bid for Rangers midfielder Brahim Hemdani accepted and the 30-year-old Algerian is widely expected to sign within the next 24 hours.

Blackburn are also close to a new signing, as a 3.5m bid for Sevilla centre-back Aquivaldo Mosquera was accepted and the player has already travelled to England to negotiate terms.

However, Wigan were struggling to land their man, as Dieumerci Mbokani’s move to the JJB looked to be off. The 22-year-old Standard Liege striker had rejected a contract from Wigan after a 1.3m bid had been accepted. It is not known whether Wigan will come back in for the striker or why Mbokani had rejected the contract.

Coming up – Team news for the weekend’s games.

Friday, 22nd August.

The second weekend of football for the new season was upon us, and there were some good games waiting in store.

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers

For Villa, goalkeeper Stuart Taylor (ankle) and centre back Curtis Davies (gashed leg) are out. Wolves have no injury worries with new signing Albin expected to make his debut.

O’Neill: “We got a good draw last week, I think this time we will be victorious. Wolves are a good side though I think they will probably stay up and give us a good game tomorrow.”

On the subject of Gareth Barry: “He’s a professional. He knows he’s under contract here and unless we get the offer we want he’ll be here for another year, and yes he will be in the team tomorrow.”

McCarthy: “I don’t think any games phase us really. Most of these players have been through a Premiership game before and they dealt with Manchester United quite well last week. There’s no doubt this will be a difficult game as Villa are a very good side but I think we’ll give them a good game.”

--------------------

Bolton Wanderers v Arsenal

Gavin McCann (food poisoning) may return, other than McCann Bolton are injury free. For Arsenal, Denilson is away on international duty but Abou Diaby (broken jaw) may return. Arshavin (groin strain), Walcott (cruciate ligaments), and Bendtner (ankle) remain out.

Megson: “We weren’t good at all last week but we’re at home tomorrow and we’re a tough nut to crack. We know the threat Arsenal possess, I watched them against Spurs last week and they were very unlucky not to win. They have real quality in their side and we need to be prepared for what they’ll throw at us.”

On the subject of transfers: “I’m not looking to bring in anymore players, so unless something drastic happens here we’re done on the transfer front.”

Wenger: “This is where the test begins, our away form wasn’t good enough last season so these are the games we need to win. In my time here Bolton have always been tough to play at their place but I’m confident we will triumph tomorrow.”

--------------------

Burnley v Everton

Steven Caldwell is suspended for Burnley after his sending off against Sunderland last weekend. For Everton, Phil Neville is also suspended and Marouane Fellaini (heel) misses out as well.

Coyle: “I’ve been looking forward to this game for a while, our first home game in the Premiership. We’re excited and after winning last week the morale in the camp is very high and we think we’ll win tomorrow. It’s disappointing Steven (Caldwell) misses out but we’ll do fine tomorrow I think.”

Moyes: “Phil (Neville) and Fellaini are out which is a blow but we’re a strong team and we’ll go there and get something I think. We will go to attack and try to win. I think Burnley did well last week but I think we’re a stronger outfit.”

--------------------

Chelsea v West Ham United (Sunday)

Michael Essien is the only doubt for Chelsea in their rivals clash with West Ham on Sunday. For the Hammers, Ilunga misses out through suspension, Christian Molinaro misses out with strained knee ligaments, and Daniel Gabbidon is doubtful with a calf strain.

Van Basten: “I look forward to my first game at Stamford Bridge, this where the league title will be won and lost. We need to be impeccable here and make sure we don’t drop points. It’s a derby game so pride is at stake but I think we have the quality to win the game though I expect West Ham will give a good account of themselves.”

Zola: “I look forward to returning to Stamford Bridge again, it is like a home to me when I go there. I love the supporters and the club, but of course my allegiance on Sunday is for West Ham. We want to win and we will look to attack with some style. Chelsea are a very good side but I think while they settle with their new manager we have a chance to take advantage.”

--------------------

Hull City v Birmingham City

A few changes are expected for Hull after their heavy defeat against Man City last weekend. Ian Ashbee is the only casualty for Hull though, with a bruised thigh. For Birmingham, Keith Fahey remains out with a hip injury.

Brown: “We desperately want to put right what went so wrong last week. Perhaps it was the lineup perhaps it was the tactics either way we got thumped and it’s time to pick ourselves up tomorrow. We’re at home to a side who won last week but are returning to the Premiership with a mostly Championship side. I expect our strength in quality to take charge and I think we will edge it.”

McLeish: “Obviously we’d love to get something. We got a good win last week and there’s real belief in the side. We will need to be cautious though I think as they will want to bounce back from last week but we have the quality in this side to get something. I’d be happy with a draw if I’m honest with you.”

This is still a brilliant read and if you carry this on for a whole season it will just be unbelievable.

Thank you mate! Will be one heck of an ordeal but I'm really enjoying writing it so I see no reason why not ;-)

Liverpool v Manchester City

Liverpool are missing three players for their first game of the season. Goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri is out with a hip injury, while Ryan Babel and Lucas are away on international duty. Manchester City have a few absentees themselves. Brazilian Fernandinho is away on international duty while Vincent Kompany (cheekbone) and Hamann (spine) are out. Zabaletta (face) may return.

Benitez: “It’s our first game of the season and I’m very much looking forward to this coming campaign. We narrowly missed out on the league last season and it’s just a matter of ironing out a few kinks like not dropping points at home which we did unnecessarily last season. Manchester City are a good team and I was at Eastlands last week where they played exceptionally well. They’re a difficult team to handle, but we have the home advantage and we will edge it I think.”

Hughes: “After last week we’re chomping at the bit to play again. We have a very tough game tomorrow but I’m upbeat about our chances. We have a lot of world-class players in this team and I think we match Liverpool on paper so it should make for an interesting game.”

--------------

Manchester United v Sunderland

Ben Foster (ankle) and Carlos Tevez (hamstring) are both out for the Champions. For Sunderland, Anton Ferdinand is the only casualty after picking up a thigh strain during the week.

Ferguson: “I think we know the challenge ahead. People will tell us well Manchester City have done this Liverpool have that Chelsea have this and it’s all relative. No one gave us a chance of winning three straight league titles but we did it and I think this season will be our fourth. Our home form is always strong and I expect us to take the game against Sunderland tomorrow. I have a lot of respect for Dave Jones and I think he will do well with them.”

Jones: “It’s our most difficult game of the season on paper and after losing at home to Burnley last week I’m sure there’s a fair few out there who don’t give us a chance, but we go there with the mentality that we want to get something and we will play to get something. Yes we are missing Anton (Ferdinand) which is a shame as he is a very good defender but his absence doesn’t seal our fate.”

--------------

Portsmouth v Fulham (Sunday)

Jamie Ashdown (heel) and Kaboul (suspended) miss out for Portsmouth’s first home game. Fulham are without Gera (ankle) and Zamora (groin) for the short trip south.

Hart: “Last week left a bitter taste in our mouths. We were the better side and we played some very tidy football and this week we are at home where we’ll have more time and space on the ball so I think we can play just as well, but we need to put our chances away this time.”

Hodgson: “A good win last week and on Sunday an away game that we don’t have to travel too far for so that’s good for us. I’m happy with the squad we have here, we’ve upgraded quite a bit this summer and got some good players, I’m especially pleased at getting Michael Owen. People criticise him and say he’ll never be what he was but I think he will show that here eventually.”

--------------

Stoke City v Blackburn Rovers

Glenn Whelan (ankle) and Fuller (knee) both miss out for Stoke. Blackburn have a fully fit squad for their first game of the campaign.

Pulis: “We know our home form will be essential to achieving something again this season. Our strength here is great and when we have the fans behind us we can’t help but do well and feel confidence. As always we look to get forward with our strength and quality and we should be able to win the game.”

Allardyce: “We want to finish in a respectable position, not scrape away from a relegation place like last season. We know we have the players and quality, we’ve added Duda to the team who will help the attacking side of our team and I think we’ll give Stoke a good game tomorrow. They will be difficult to play against but I think we have similar footballing style so it should be interesting.”

--------------

Tottenham Hotspur v Wigan Athletic

Corluka (leg) and Modric (ankle) are both out for Spurs’ first home game of the season. Robbie Keane also misses out after his sending off last weekend. For Wigan, Mike Pollitt is suspended while de Ridder (ankle) and Kapo (shoulder) miss out.

Redknapp: “I don’t think last week is any implication of how our season will go. Yeah we didn’t play well but we got a result and at the end of the season that is all anyone will remember. We want to make that top four and crack that nut that so many teams want to. Our home form will be seriously important to achieve that. We didn’t beat Wigan at home last season and no offence to them but that’s not good enough for us. We have a terrific team and I think we will win tomorrow.”

Bruce: “We didn’t do well against Chelsea last week but we want to rectify that tomorrow. Spurs are a good team but I know what to expect of them and we can get something tomorrow if we play to our strength. It’s disappointing we have Olivier (Kapo) and Daniel (de Ridder) out as they are very good players for us, but we have good depth here and I expect their replacements to put in an able display.”

Saturday, 23rd August.

The second weekend of action was set to begin, with a derby between Aston Villa and Wolves as the early kick off.

12:45pm

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Sky showed the game, on a cloudy but humid day in Birmingham.

TEAMS

Aston Villa (4-5-1)

Friedel, Young, Cuellar, Knight, Shorey, Milner, Sidwell, Petrov, Barry, Young, Agbonlahor.

Subs: Guzan, Carew, Gudjohnson, Bouma, Heskey, Reo-Coker, Gardner.

Wolves (4-5-1)

Hennessey, Foley, Stearman, Shackell, Dong-Jin, Kightly, Norris, Berra, Jones, Albin, Flavio.

Subs: Murray, Elokobi, Hill, Henry, Ebanks-Blake, Stephen Ward, Darren Ward.

Villa Park was aloud with noise as Aston Villa kicked off the second weekend of the season.

It took just 4 minutes for Villa to create the first chance of the game, as Agbonlahor’s turn and shot from outside the penalty area whisked just over the bar. Villa continued their bright start with a lot of possession, but despite Wolves sitting deep they were leaving quite a gap between their defence and midfield which made it easier for Villa to find space.

It was 12 minutes in when Villa’s early pressure paid off. A corner from the right was taken by Ashley Young, which Gabby Agbonlahor met with a diving header. The ball was parried by goalkeeper Hennessey, it fell to James Milner on the edge of the six yard box and the English midfielder made no mistake in stabbing the ball home to give Villa the lead. Mick McCarthy reacted instantly, replacing defender Stearman with another defender, Karl Henry.

Wolves then moved to a more attacking mentality and started to get a slight grip on the game. New signing Albin teased Shorey and won a corner, which was then followed by a Flavio header, which was headed into the side netting. Soon after, Ashley Young delivered a teasing cross to the near post which was met by the on-rushing Gareth Barry, who’s volley was tipped behind well by Wayne Hennessey.

As the final 15 of the half was entered, Luke Young sent a stinging shot from the edge of box over the bar before Petrov tried the same, but Hennessey tipped the ball over this time. The half-time whistle went with Villa for the most part in control but Wolves had had their moments, new man Albin getting quite a bit of time and space on the left but was struggling to do much with the ball except win a few corners.

It was 3 minutes into the second half when the second goal of the game was scored. Steve Sidwell received the ball just outside the Wolves penalty area from Ashley Young. The English midfielder turned and fed Agbonlahor just inside the box, and he in turn ran onto the ball and slotted it past the on-rushing Hennessey and into the net from 12 yards out. Wolves were outraged and believed Agbonlahor was offside, replays showed he was level with defender Shackell.

Hennessey soon after banged out two good saves in the space of a few minutes. The first came 3 minutes after the goal, after Ashley Young went on a mazy run and drove a shot in from the edge of the penalty area, which the young keeper did well to push away. Soon after, Stylian Petrov tried his luck from 23 yards, which he tipped over the bar.

Ashley Young was causing Wolves all kinds of problems and on 68 minutes again cut inside and lashed a shot at goal, which beat Wayne Hennessey but also beat the far post. Wolves seemed to have no answer to Villa’s dominance. As we entered the final 15 minutes, substitute Emile Heskey came close for Villa as his driving run into the box was halted by that man again, Wayne Hennessey, who got down low to knick the ball from his feet.

The final 10 minutes continued in similar vein as Heskey again had another chance, this time heading Milner’s cross narrowly over from close range. It was on 84 minutes that the game was finally wrapped up for Aston Villa. Heskey did superbly down the right hand side to beat two players before delivering a cross from the byline. Substitute Nigel Reo-Coker rose highest at the back post to head home his first goal for Aston Villa and give the club their first 3 points of the season.

The final whistle went and it was a comfortable win for Aston Villa. Wolves managed two shots on goal all game and never looked like getting back in the game following Villa’s second goal.

Final Score: Aston Villa 3 – 0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

O’Neill: “The result was never in doubt, we put in a resounding performance. It was tough to break them down as they packed the midfield but Sidwell, Barry, and Petrov were superb and won the physical battle, which enabled us to take control. I don’t think the score line flattered us and we probably should have had more.”

McCarthy: “Was a very tough game for us which we knew it would be, but we went behind very early on and heads dropped somewhat. I’m disappointed we didn’t really stamp any authority on the game, we didn’t create anything meaningful and I don’t think the players worked as hard as they could have done.”

3pm

Burnley v Everton

Burnley’s first home game since their return to the top flight with Everton the visitors. Both sides won last weekend and will want back-to-back wins after today.

TEAMS

Burnley (4-4-2)

Jensen, Duff, Carlisle, Kilgallon, Jordan, Eagles, McDonald, McCann, Mahon, Paterson, Blake.

Subs: Penny, Thompson, Elliott, Kalvenes, Berisha, Robertson, Alexander.

Everton (4-4-1-1)

Howard, Hibbert, Yobo, Jagielka, Lescott, Arteta, Osman, Gosling, Baines, Cahill, Yakubu.

Subs: Nash, Pienaar, Rodwell, Saha, Jacobsen, Krenn, O’Kane.

Turf Moor was rocking as Burnley’s first home game in the Premier League in 33 years got underway.

Though the Burnley fans began louder they were quickly silenced as Chris Eagles, after just three minutes, was sent from the pitch for an elbow on Leighton Baines. It seemed a harsh decision as most of the Burnley team surrounded referee Mike Dean. Soon after, Tim Cahill burst into the box but his low drive was held well by Jensen.

4 minutes later Everton had another chance as Leighton Baines’ cross-shot had to be tipped over by the fully stretched Brian Jensen. Everton kept the pressure up and probably should have scored on 9 minutes. Mikel Arteta whipped a free kick in from deep on the right hand side, Leon Osman met the ball on the volley at the back post but Kevin McDonald blocked the ball on the line.

Burnley managed to at last get a slight grip on the game and were keeping possession well but were unable to create any chances as they had lost their width and no response had come from Owen Coyle since Eagles had been sent off. Everton were creating chances though, and Yobo came close on 21 minutes when his header from an Arteta corner went narrowly over. It was 7 minutes later when the deadlock was finally broken. Yakubu held the ball up superbly just outside the penalty area before exchanging passes with Leon Osman. The Nigerian striker took the ball past Carlisle before the sliding the ball home from 12 yards.

Burnley seemed to fall apart after Yakubu’s goal. Jensen had to be called into action again on 35 minutes to deny Leon Osman’s low shot. It was 7 minutes later when Everton looked to be beyond Burnley’s reach. Cahill’s shot from outside the box was parried by Jensen. Arteta and Mahon both went for the rebound, with the Spaniard getting there first. Mahon’s trailing leg brought Arteta down as the midfielder was about to smash home. Mike Dean didn’t hesitate to point to the spot. Yakubu stepped up and smashed home with confidence to double his and Everton’s tally as the half drew to a close.

The second half began with Burnley grabbing the initiative, but it took them until the 56th minute to create their first real chance, and what a chance it was. Substitute Graham Alexander whipped a corner in from the right which Yobo won in the air. Unfortunately the Nigerian centre back could only head back toward goal and the ball found Burnley player Jordan waiting for the ball to drop. Jordan smashed the ball on the volley from 5 yards, which smashed off Howard and wide.

In a somewhat quiet second half, it was Cahill’s goal on 76 minutes that rounded off the game. Burnley were sitting very deep now, and Joseph Yobo had time and space to pick out Tim Cahill on the edge of the penalty area. The Aussie midfielder turned Carlisle and found himself inside the penalty area. He then proceeded with a blinding effort from the edge of the box which flew into Jensen’s far corner, leaving the keeper no chance.

Kilgallon had a late chance for Burnley from a free kick but his effort was pushed away by Tim Howard. With that, the final whistle went and Everton had eased past Burnley at Turf Moor. One might wonder what would have happened had Burnley not been a man down for 87 minutes.

Final Score: Burnley 0 – 3 Everton

Coyle: “There’s no question the sending off was the integral reason we lost the game. It’s hard because we don’t have the quality Everton have so it was tough for us to take any initiative in the game. We tried to stifle them and catch them on the break but they’re a good side and we lost any momentum we had when Everton got their goal.”

On the subject of the sending off: “I didn’t properly see it but I thought it was a tad harsh from where I was.”

Moyes: “It’s an impressive result for us even though we had the one man advantage. We still had to dig in and perform and the players did that. The scoreline didn’t flatter us I feel we deserved it and could have had more. I’m happy for Yakubu because he’s a confidence player and he’s got 3 goals already this season which is a great return, hopefully he can keep it going.”

Thanks for the comments guys!

3pm

Hull City v Birmingham City

Two sides tipped for the drop went head-to-head at the KC Stadium, with Birmingham the favourites to take this game.

TEAMS

Hull City (4-4-2)

Myhill, Mendy, Mouyokolo, Turner, Zayatte, Bullard, Boateng, Pratley, Kilbane, Fagan, Palermo.

Subs: Warner, Geovanni, Marney, Cousin, Dawson, Halmosi, Garcia.

Birmingham City (4-4-2)

Maik Taylor, Kelly, Martin Taylor, Ridgewell, Murphy, Galletti, Carsley, Larsson, McSheffrey, Jerome, McFadden.

Subs: Doyle, Bent, Queudrue, Phillips, Pearce, Johnson, Tom.

No song from Phil Brown to start the season, but a change in line-up had lifted spirits around Hull in the belief it will give the team a good chance of a result.

It was Birmingham who got off on the stronger foot though when Myhill was called into action inside 5 minutes as Sebastian Larsson’s tame shot from inside the penalty was held well by the Hull keeper. Maik Taylor was tested as well soon after, as Pratley’s curling shot from outside the box was caught and held well.

It was 10 minutes later when the best chance of the game came as James McFadden found space in the box for Birmingham, but his turn and shot went over the bar. The Scot should have done better. Shortly after, Lee Carsley created another chance for Birmingham as his shot from outside the box whisked over the bar. Another long range shot came soon after, this time from Hull as Jimmy Bullard’s 23 yard strike was pushed away by Taylor. The game was open and good to watch.

On 30 minutes the deadlock was finally broken. Hull caught Birmingham on the counter attack and Craig Fagan did superbly to burst forward and get beyond two Birmingham players with pace. He got into the box and cut the ball back for George Boateng who, from 14 yards, crashed the ball into the roof of the net for his first Hull City goal.

Birmingham should have been level just two minutes later. McFadden inexplicably beat Michael Turner in the air and his flick on fell to Cameron Jerome. Jerome moved into the box with the ball but his shot came off the back post and was cleared by Pratley. One last chance came before half time, as Jimmy Bullard’s long-range free kick went over.

The second half began with Hull taking a somewhat negative approach and Birmingham took advantage. First, Myhill parried Cameron Jerome’s close range effort then Larsson’s effort from outside the box went a whisker wide. Birmingham kept up the pressure against a deep lying Hull team who couldn’t get a proper hold of the ball.

It took until the hour for Birmingham to create their next real chance. McSheffrey and Carsley combined down the left before Carsley’s deep cross found McFadden at the back post. The ex-Everton striker could only place his shot over the bar when it looked easier to score from 8 yards. Soon after Bullard relieved pressure for Hull but another one of his long range efforts failed to test the Birmingham goal.

Birmingham again regained the initiative as McFadden’s turn and shot from a Murphy free kick was held well by Myhill on 79 minutes. They threw on Kevin Phillips to add to their attack and it should have resulted in a goal on 84 minutes. Larsson gathered the ball on the left hand side and his great cross was met by Carsley at the back post. His fierce left foot volley went high over the bar from 8 yards. Another great chance for Birmingham.

Hull defended deep for the remainder of the game and Birmingham’s lack of physical presence meant they failed to create another chance as Hull walked away with a somewhat fortunate win.

Final Score: Hull City 1 – 0 Birmingham City

Brown: “Some might say we were fortunate today but I think we earned the win. We had to defend deep and soak up the pressure as Birmingham caught us by surprise. In the end I think quality foundered, you could see the chances Birmingham had and two of them were very good, I think we would have put them away and that’s the difference today.”

McLeish: “The result is hard to take as we should have had at least a point. We created some very good chances, Cameron (Jerome), Lee (Carsley), and James (McFadden) had great ones and on another day would have scored them. I think the performance in encouraging though and if we can keep up the same mentality and quality in other games this season we will do well.”

This is very interesting. A very nice, and different, story.

However:

Arsenal

He explained: “Looking at our home record last season, it was impeccable.

We lost to Villa and Hull (Hull!), and got a whipping from Chelsea. I wouldn't call that impeccable.

This is very interesting. A very nice, and different, story.

However:

We lost to Villa and Hull (Hull!), and got a whipping from Chelsea. I wouldn't call that impeccable.

I know, Wenger's such an idiot :-P

3pm

Liverpool v Manchester City

Liverpool’s first game of the season was about to kick-off with a surprising choice of formation and one or two surprise choices in the line-up. Manchester City would be eager to get a similar result as last week.

TEAMS

Liverpool (4-5-1)

Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Dossena, Pennant, Mascherano, Gerrard, Alonso, Leto, Torres.

Subs: Itandje, Aurelio, Hammill, Voronin, Skrtel, Kuyt, Riera.

Manchester City (4-5-1)

Given, Srna, Dunne, Onuoha, Bridge, Valencia, Palombo, de Jong, Ireland, Robinho, Vagner Love.

Subs: Hart, Richards, Coloccini, Zhirkov, Jo, Garrido, Glauber.

Anfield was awash with scarves and red as Liverpool were about to undergo their first game of the 2009/2010 season. The traditional ‘Never Walk Alone’ was sung prior to the game and the players made their way out onto the pitch on a dry cool day on Merseyside.

The pressure was undoubtedly on Benitez who’s surprising choice of line-up and formation made many cautiously optimistic, as the Spaniard stood on the sideline hands in pockets looking stern and confident. Hughes had his place in the dugout, arms folded sitting forward as the roar went up around Anfield when the referee blew his whistle to get the game underway.

Both sides seemed to want to get off on the stronger foot as both played with width and eagerness. It was Manchester City who created the first chance as a result after just 6 minutes. Good build up play resulted in Palombo playing in Ireland at the edge of the Liverpool penalty area. The young midfielder turned Mascherano and went for goal for 20 yards, the shot went just past Reina’s right-hand post.

Manchester City seemed to get a grip of the game after that as Liverpool’s attempts to play Pennant and Seto down the channels were proving fruitless as City full-backs Srna and Bridge were alive to it all. Torres had had a quiet opening and Liverpool’s quality central midfield wasn’t having the best of days thus far. On 17 minutes Onuoha tried a shot from outside the box which Reina held well, as Liverpool fans started to get frustrated and Hughes’ eyes were widened as he seemed to sense an opportunity.

It took until 20 minutes for Liverpool to test the City goal. Pennant had got passed Ireland down the right hand side before Irish midfielder took Pennant out near the byline. The resulting free kick was taken by Pennant himself, whose cutback found Jamie Carragher waiting just inside the penalty area. The former England centre back blasted his shot narrowly over as the noise level rose slightly. Liverpool soon found a little more time on the ball and more space as Leto and Pennant got more of the ball. Gerrard’s runs were starting to cause City a few issues but neither side had properly tested each other yet.

Srna was yellow carded soon after the half-hour mark, before Richard Dunne charged Jamie Carragher’s close range volley down and out for a corner. The last remaining talking point of the half went the way of Liverpool. Xabi Alonso came forward into space before playing a sublime through ball for Fernando Torres to run onto in the penalty area. The Spaniard finished superbly from 12 yards, but the joy of the Liverpool faithful was short lived as the linesman’s flag was up.

The sides went in at half time level with a few agitated conversations between the Liverpool fans who clearly were not satisfied with their first half display. City fans would be happy though and they had every right to be, they had probably been the better side and kept Liverpool’s attacking side quiet, though theirs hadn’t been exactly brilliant either.

Thanks for the comments guys really appreciate them!

Manchester City started the second half with the initiative as Palombo hit an early chance just over the bar. Just 30 seconds later, Srna found space on the right hand side and whipped in a lovely cross toward the back post. Jamie Carragher stood waiting, unfortunately literally standing as Stephen Ireland came careering in front of him to head the ball onto the bar and over from 8 yards. The noise of scouse agitation was louder than ever now as fans stood and thrust their fists in frustration. Rafa Benitez stood up from his seat in the dugout and walked to the technical area as if he was going to yell some form of direction but instead just walked there looking helpless. Mark Hughes, still sat in the dugout, removed his chewing gum from his mouth and slammed it to the floor in frustration.

Man City’s early pressure had shaken Liverpool, who had received an earful from Benitez (eventually) and encouragement from Gerrard and Carragher. It managed to lead them to a chance on 52 minutes as Xabi Alonso’s left foot drive sailed over Shay Given’s crossbar from 20 yards. Shortly after, Gerrard found himself in space outside the box as well but his shot went high and wide as Liverpool regained composure. Gerrard and Torres were linking up well and seemed to be swapping positions, which was confusing some of the Man City defenders.

On 58 minutes, City defender Onuoha tried an audacious volley from outside the box which went narrowly over, before Palombo’s driving effort from 25 yards was easily held by Reina. The game was open, neither side was happy to sit tight and both were using the space available and we were seeing some very tidy football from both sides.

The game sprung even further to life on the hour mark. A superb through ball from Arbeloa found Mascherano in space inside the Man City penalty area, but the Argentine midfielder’s low 12 yard drive toward the far corner was superbly parried by Given and de Jong scooped the ball clear. 2 minutes later and a free kick on the halfway line to Liverpool was taken by Arbeloa. He sent it deep into the Man City box, where all the Man City defenders seemed to be asleep. Torres wasn’t, however, and he managed to reach the ball at the edge of the 6 yard box. His superb first touch kept the ball down but from a tight angle, Given produced another good save to deny Liverpool and had it not been for the reactions of Richard Dunne from the parry, Gerrard would have stabbed home for Liverpool.

Anfield was now rocking, the belief was with Liverpool and they looked the more likely to take the game. Mark Hughes for the first time today looked edgy and moved to the technical area. On 68 minutes though, City should have gone ahead. A straightforward move found Wayne Bridge down the left hand side and his deep cross went toward Vagner Love who was beaten in the air by Carragher. The veteran defender neither performed a header or anything else as the ball bounced off him and into the path of Ireland who was waiting 3 yards away. Reina superbly saved the Irish midfielder’s shot from 7 yards when it looked easier to score.

On 71 minutes Liverpool made a few changes to alter their style of play, and just 4 minutes after they were rewarded for it. Substitute Dirk Kuyt moved towards goal with strike partner Torres ahead of him. Kuyt tried a through-ball for the Spaniard, but Dunne reacted well to stretch in front of Torres and get the ball away…only so far. The ball was rolling free in the box, Given had moved to come for the ball, then stopped. Dunne had surged after the ball, then stopped. It seemed as if the two were unsure as to who was to go for the ball, and in their hesitation, Dirk Kuyt followed up after continuing his run after the pass to drive the ball under Shay Given and into the far corner from 8 yards. Carnage insured, as Liverpool fans celebrated with sheer passion and joy. Benitez shook his fists in delight. Hughes stood hands outstretched wondering why his defence, who had been superb for the most part, had failed to clear the ball.

On 78 minutes, Wayne Bridge’s 22 yard free kick was well held by Reina before City altered their style of play. Liverpool could have had a second goal shortly after though, as Gerrard’s stinging drive from 20 yards was pushed over by Given. The resulting corner was wasted and went out for a goal kick. Given launched the ball long up to substitute Jo, who won the ariel battle with Agger. The ball fell to Ireland who surged forward and found another substitute, Zhirkov, to his left. Zhirkov took the ball on and inside the box, he then drove a shot low toward Reina’s near post but the Spaniard got down low to parry the ball. The ball shot back out to Carragher, who couldn’t react quick enough as the ball bounced off his knee and back into the path of Zhirkov, who couldn’t miss at the second time of asking. The City fans behind the goal went crazy, as did Benitez who must have been fuming with Carragher who had looked shoddy all game. City were level, and it set up an enthralling last few minutes.

The Liverpool fans were quiet now and nerves were on their shoulders. City smelt a chance, a chance to win as Coloccini replaced Vagner Love as City reverted back to a 4-5-1, which seemed defensive. Torres strayed forward soon after the restart but his long range drive sailed over the bar.

It was on 87 minutes when the next talking point came as Ireland, who had been superb today, robbed Alonso of the ball inside the City half. His instant pass to Zhirkov sent the winger away and alongside Agger. Zhirkov had no problem beating him for pace and he soon found himself in the box with a dilemma, whether to shoot or square for the on-rushing Jo. From near the edge of the six-yard box, Zhirkov squared it. Jo was coming onto the ball, but Aurelio just nipped in front of him to stop the ball from reaching him. Unfortunately, Aurelio could only stop the ball dead and his momentum to get back kept him going. The ball was now rolling in front of Brazilian striker Jo who took a touch before smashing low into the bottom left hand corner from 8 yards to put City ahead and grab his first goal for the club. Joy of joy for the blue side of Manchester who had a few fans on the pitch as Jo surged toward the supporters to celebrate. Every other City player seemed to follow suit. Aurelio picked himself out of the net while Benitez looked like his looks could kill. Hughes had been mobbed by his coaching staff, and re-arranged his tie as Gerrard surged with the ball toward the centre spot.

Man City’s 4-5-1 suddenly became an unidentifiable formation as they had everyone back behind the ball. Liverpool had already made all their subs and had no choice but to go 4-2-4. From then on, Manchester City finished off their finger nails and Liverpool fans sat praying. Substitute Hammill tried to make an impact on the left hand side but Srna was overpowering him every time. Torres’ and Gerrards’ runs were now fruitless with no space and despite a few teasing crosses (which were superbly dealt with by City) Liverpool could find no way through after 4 minutes of added time.

The final whistle blew, and City fans celebrated like they knew this season could be an epic one, almost like they had just won a trophy. Liverpool fans sat looking shocked and dejected, as their side had thrown away the game in the final 8 minutes of normal time. Despite their overall display being poor, they looked like they had nicked it.

Final Score: Liverpool 1 – 2 Manchester City

Benitez: “It’s hard to take, but perhaps it’s a lesson as well. We weren’t good enough, at all. I don’t think we created enough good chances but we did still have some decent chances that I think we should have scored. The defending was the most disappointing part though, it was comical for both of their goals and we nearly gifted them another from being sloppy. I wanted our home form to be great this season, hopefully this result will not be bearing of it.”

Hughes: “We don’t want to get ahead of ourselves but today is a sign of what we can achieve. We were very good, I thought despite the goal they scored we defended very well and we always looked dangerous coming forward. I thought Ireland was excellent, Dunne and Given had very good games and I’m delighted with the impact the substitutes made as well. A great day for us, hopefully one that will be remembered at the end of a good season.”

3pm

Manchester United v Sunderland

The champions returned to home ground this weekend in an attempt to record back-to-back wins, whereas Sunderland would be looking to prevent back-to-back defeats.

TEAMS

Man Utd (4-4-2)

Van der Sar, Neville, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Park, Scholes, Carrick, Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov.

Subs: Heaton, Campbell, Giggs, O’Shea, Manucho, Fletcher, Brown.

Sunderland (4-4-2)

Gordon, Barragan, Nosworthy, McShane, Torres, Malbranque, Whitehead, Leadbitter, Richardson, Jones, Murphy.

Subs: Fulop, Bardsley, McCartney, Reid, Chopra, Collins, Halford.

It was good for the Man United faithful to see Ronaldo still in their shirt as Old Trafford kicked off another 3pm game.

It took just 2 minutes for Manchester United to stamp their authority on the game. Ronaldo found space down the left hand side, and he played the ball across the penalty area toward Scholes who was waiting. The ex England midfielder struck a shot from 20 yards which was well parried by Gordon and was falling into the path of Berbatov, but his attempts to reach the ball were halted by Nyron Nosworthy who clipped the Bulgarian striker who went tumbling – penalty given. Ronaldo stepped up and placed the ball into the bottom right hand corner to give United the early advantage.

Berbatov was again involved in the action just 3 minutes later when his bent effort from outside the box went narrowly over as Sunderland looked winded but they stayed deep and tight in order to prevent Manchester United’s dominance and it worked for quite a time but they failed to ever look like they were going to get a goal as their aimless hoofs to Jones and Murphy failed to cause the Red Devils any problems.

With Sunderland’s narrow gauge, it took until the 29th minute for Manchester United to again test the Sunderland goal as Rooney’s blast from distance went narrowly wide. Paul Scholes was then taken off on the hour mark with a knock. Giggs replaced him.

United created their best chance on 36 minutes and should have been two up. Substitute Giggs whipped in a low corner from the left, which Vidic met unmarked just outside the 6 yard box. His left foot volley bounced back off the post and fell to him again but he couldn’t direct the ball this time with his right foot and it went out for a goal kick.

He needn’t have worried though, as a few minutes later United did get their second. Nyron Nosworthy was again the culprit as he pulled down Rooney outside the penalty area. Ryan Giggs stepped up and smashed a beauty into the left corner from 25 yards to send United in at half time with a comfortable 2-0 lead.

The second half started the way the first half ended with United applying pressure. They created 3 chances in 3 minutes and should have scored at least one of them. First, Evra’s cut in from the left and shot went over the bar, which was then followed by a tame Ferdinand header being easily held by Craig Gordon. Finally, Park fed Berbatov in the penalty area but the striker could only place his shot into the hands of the goalkeeper.

On 56 minutes Evra’s surging run down the left ended with the Frenchman whipping in a cross to the near post, which Rooney turned toward goal. Craig Gordon was there again though, and pushed the shot away. Sunderland had not created a single chance as we entered the latter stages and their deep lying defensive antics were frustrating the Sunderland fans.

Carrick had two chances in a minute as we entered the final 20. First, his feigned ball to Berbatov that ended up being a shot was well gathered by Gordon before a thunderous drive from 20 yards skimmed the top of the crossbar with the keeper left helpless. Carrick seemed to be at the brunt of all United’s chances as he had two more soon after, both efforts gliding straight into Gordon’s hands.

In the 89th minute, the scoring was wrapped up. Evra’s deep free kick found substitute Fletcher ghosting in toward the back of the penalty area. The Scot controlled the flighted ball well before lashing the ball across goal from a tight angle and seeing it smash off the post and go in. There was still time for another Manchester United substitute, Manucho, to test the Sunderland goal, but his placed effort from 14 yards was pushed away well by Gordon.

The final whistle went soon after and Sunderland could have no complaints. Not a single shot on goal and they looked defeated from the moment Ronaldo dispatched the penalty.

Final Score: Manchester United 3 – 0 Sunderland

Phelan: “Happy with our performance and the result really. No complaints, it was pretty straightforward. I’m surprised they didn’t really test us at all but I think that accounts for our defence and how dominant they were today. We put in a champion’s display today and hopefully we’ll see more of the same during the season.”

Jones: “Early goals can rock you but that’s no excuse for us not putting up a fight and trying to get back in the game. Heads dropped immediately and we created nothing. We know it’s a tough place to come and getting a result is a massive ask but this squad has quite a determined bunch of players in it so for them to perform the way they have done today is both disappointing and surprising.”

3pm

Stoke City v Blackburn Rovers

Stoke’s impressive home campaign last season had them chomping at the bit for more. They would kick-off at home to a Blackburn side who were playing their first game of the campaign.

TEAMS

Stoke City (4-4-2)

Sorensen, Wilkinson, Abdoulaye Faye, Shawcross, Higginbotham, Valera, Jarosik, Amdy Faye, Pugh, Beattie, Kitson.

Subs: Simonsen, Griffin, Cort, Lawrence, Sidibe, Dickinson, Sonko.

Blackburn Rovers (4-5-1)

Robinson, Emerton, Nelson, Samba, Warnock, Diouf, Reid, Grella, Dunn, Duda, Santa Cruz.

Subs: Fielding, Pedersen, Andrews, McCarthy, Khizanishvili, Gallagher, Judge.

The statistically loudest ground in England was in full voice as the game kicked off.

Sorensen was called into action early on, as Ryan Nelsen met Duda’s corner at the near post but the Stoke keeper did well to push the ball over the bar. It was on 15 minutes when Sorensen was again called into action, but failed to produce. Soon after Diouf fired a long range effort over the bar, Steven Reid picked up the ball in the centre of the park and moved forward. His precise pass found Santa Cruz at the edge of the penalty area and the Paraguayan striker flicked the ball into the path of David Dunn who placed a good shot into the bottom left hand corner. Blackburn had made the brighter start and earned their goal.

It was 2 minutes later when Blackburn rained on the Stoke parade again, this time in breathtaking style. Santa Cruz was hauled over by Faye 30 yards from goal and up stepped new signing Duda to strike the free kick. He smashed it with power, the ball swerved in the air taking Sorensen by surprised, and the ball crashed off the underside of the bar and into the net. A wonderfully struck free kick and Blackburn had a 2 goal lead.

Samba was next to test the Stoke goal, as his powerful drive from 20 yards went over. Soon after, Santa Cruz’s somewhat selfish mazy run was ended with a poor effort that sailed high and wide. Stoke were unable to cope with Blackburn who had set up perfectly. Stoke seemed somewhat complacent.

The half ended with muted sound from the stadium as Blackburn had a 2 goal lead heading into the dressing room. Tony Pulis would need to work some magic to get his side back in this game. Kitson was removed for Sidibe at half time in a like-for-like change.

It was Blackburn though who came out for the second half like they never left the pitch as Duda’s tight angle effort went narrowly over. 2 minutes later David Dunn tried a free kick from near 20 yards but could only bend the ball round the right hand post.

A surprise chance came for Stoke on 55 minutes. A corner by Liam Lawrence found Shawcross at the near post. He controlled the ball and cut it back for Jiri Jarosik, who smashed the ball hard and low under Robinson and into the back of the net. Stoke were back in it as Jarosik bagged his second goal in as many games.

Beattie curled a free kick over the bar on 65 minutes as the game quietened down. Blackburn narrowed their formation and Stoke tried to gain momentum but it wasn’t particularly working. Sidibe’s low drive was pushed away by Robinson a few minutes after.

It wasn’t until the 83rd minute when Stoke created their best chance. Jarosik’s pass found Dickinson waiting in the penalty area but with plenty of time and space, could only hit it straight at Robinson who couldn’t hold the ball and it was scrambled away.

Blackburn struck the bar through a David Dunn free kick in extra time, but that was the last of it as Blackburn recorded a winning start and Stoke were 0 out of 6.

Final Score: Stoke City 1 – 2 Blackburn Rovers

Pulis: “It’s disappointing we didn’t really come out for the first half. Credit to Blackburn, they played well, but I feel we made it easy for them. We didn’t get tight enough on their key players and they punished us for it. They scored a wonder goal for their second but it was a fair result in the end I feel.”

Allardyce: “Delighted with the result and performance. We came in with the aim to unsettle Stoke early on because you can’t let them get a grip of the game and be too physical because they will test you. We got two goals in the first half which were enough in the end so it’s a good result and a good start.”

very good story going on here, if i had one recommendation is to highlight the goalscorers name so it can be picked out easier in the big texts, or putting a final score with goalscorers underneath at end of each match.

very good story going on here, if i had one recommendation is to highlight the goalscorers name so it can be picked out easier in the big texts, or putting a final score with goalscorers underneath at end of each match.

I will put goalscorers underneath at end of match I like that idea. I don't want to put goalscorers in bold during game as I feel it gives it away if you glance under where you're reading then you know what's coming.

3pm

Tottenham Hotspur v Wigan Athletic

Spurs kicked off their home campaign in front of a packed out and expectant White Hart Lane. Wigan would be hoping to bounce back from a defeat to Spurs’ rivals Chelsea last week.

TEAMS

Tottenham (4-4-2)

Gomes, Chimbonda, Woodgate, King, Assou-Ekotto, Bentley, Palacios, Huddlestone, O’Hara, Bent, Defoe.

Subs: Cudicini, Pavlyuchenko, Lennon, Dawson, Dawkins, Zokora, Hutton.

Wigan (4-4-1-1)

Kirkland, Zebina, Veron, Boyce, Figueroa, Koumas, Cattermole, Scharner, N’Zogbia, Watson, Miller.

Subs: Smith, Bramble, Won-Hee, Thomson, Camara, Melchiot, Pearson.

Wigan kicked off the game at White Hart Lane with Spurs expected to take the game.

It took 9 minutes for the first real chance on goal, and it went Spurs’ way. Good play from Palacios found Huddlestone in space outside the penalty area and the young midfielder’s pile driver from 23 yards was tipped over the bar by the outstretched Kirkland. Soon after Bentley did very well to get free in the box for Spurs, but he dilly-dallied and Boyce was able to intercept his goal bound shot.

The game became rather withered as Wigan kept it tight and Spurs’ long hopeful balls to Bentley and O’Hara were proving fruitless. Defoe and Bent’s one-dimensional running wasn’t helping their attacking options. A few times they did find space on the flanks, but their crosses were cleared well by Wigan at the near post, as Spurs fans got frustrated.

Figueroa and Boyce were having superb games and were keeping the Spurs wingers quiet. A drab half couldn’t have ended sooner for Spurs as a very dull opening 45 minutes came to an end after Bentley’s poor byline cross evaded everyone in the box.

It took 10 second half minutes before the first chance came, and what a great chance it was. Defoe’s threaded ball for Bent was immaculate, and the England striker took the ball past Veron but took too many touches in one-on-one with Kirkland, and the England goalkeeper saved well to deny Bent what was a sure fire goal. 2 minutes later Bent again had a chance, but Chris Kirkland easily held his weaker foot drive from the edge of the box

On the hour Jermain Defoe surged forward from a Darren Bent pass and was into the box but his left foot shot went narrowly wide of Kirkland’s left-hand post. Spurs were starting to find the gaps now as they drew Wigan out from their half and they had another chance to score on 65 minutes as Jermain Defoe headed O’Hara’s cross just over the bar.

Bent sent a long range drive just over the bar from 25 yards on 78 minutes as the game looked to be heading for a draw as Spurs couldn’t take their chances and Wigan were unsuccessful in creating anything. The final 10 minutes proved fruitless as Spurs endless possession came to nothing and despite a good effort from Bentley in extra time Spurs failed to unlock the Wigan defence or the Wigan goal and the game ended in a draw.

Final Score: Tottenham Hotspur 0 – 0 Wigan Athletic

Redknapp: “These are games we need to win if we’re going to achieve something. We had a lot of possession and two very good chances but we didn’t take them and it’s surprising because Defoe and Bent would usually bury those. On the other hand we were sound defensively and controlled the game, we lacked that cutting edge today though as well as last week and I need to look at what we can do to fix that.”

Bruce: “Good result for us really as Tottenham is no easy place to come to. I thought our back four were exceptional and they helped us get the point. We want to progress this season and hopefully make a top half finish, getting results like we did today will help that.”

5:15pm

Bolton Wanderers v Arsenal

A tie that used to be regarded as the bane of Arsenal’s season, but in recent years they have managed a result at the Reebok Stadium. Gary Megson would want to see his side at their best defensively today after conceding two rather soft goals against Fulham last week.

TEAMS

Bolton (4-5-1)

Jaaskelainen, Hunt, Cahill, Andy O’Brien, Samuel, Davies, Joey O’Brien, Muamba, Fernandes, Mota, Elmander.

Subs: Al Habsi, Goian, Steinsson, Gardner, Larsson, Shittu, Taylor.

Arsenal (4-4-2)

Almunia, Sagna, Gallas, Toure, Clichy, Eboue, Fabregas, Song, Nasri, Adebayor, van Persie.

Subs: Fabianski, Eduardo, Vela, Traore, Senderos, Fonte, van den Berg.

The Reebok Stadium in it’s usual 75% full nature was loud and proud on a warm summers evening in Bolton. Megson and Wenger had a brief handshake and no meeting of the eyes before kick-off, as Arsenal got the game underway.

Arsenal gained the early grasp of the match as Robin van Persie teased Nicky Hunt down the Bolton right but the defender was solid enough to ease the ball out for a corner. A few minutes later Adebayor received a pass in the box from Fabregas and was free in the area, but he snatched at the shot on the turn and the ball sailed over the Bolton goal.

5 minutes later it was van Persie to test the Bolton goal as his left footed drive from the edge of the Bolton penalty area crashed into the side netting. Arsenal had the early control and Bolton couldn’t seem to keep hold of the ball. Their long balls for Elmander to run onto were proving fruitless.

Two good saves in quick succession from Jaaskelainen kept Bolton alive after 25 minutes. First, Song’s long-range effort was very well tipped over by the keeper, then Fabregas’ shot from outside the box was well gathered. The best chance of the game then came on 35 minutes. Good work from Arsenal eventually saw Nasri coming down the left hand side with the ball. He crossed to Adebayor who was free at the edge of the box, and his superbly struck effort crashed back off the crossbar and away to safety. Bolton were unable to contain Arsenal’s football and they looked sure fire to concede at any moment.

Two more good chances for Arsenal came in the 39th minute as Jaaskelainen parried Toure’s swerving 30-yard free kick right into the path of Eboue, but his first time volley was straight into the hands of the Bolton keeper. It seemed inevitable a goal would come, and just two minutes later, one did. Bolton sprung a surprise attack as Muamba picked up the ball in the middle of the park. He played an easy pass to the feet of Johan Elmander who stood at the edge of the box. The striker then turned Gallas and bent a superb 20-yard strike into Almunia’s top left hand corner to send the Bolton fans barmy. A sublime strike and an unbelievable turn of events as Bolton had been pummelled for most of the game so far.

The two sides then went in at half time both surprised at how the half had ended. What was sure though was that Arsenal would not let off in the second half and Bolton would need to dig deep to secure a result.

It took 18 second half minutes for the first chance to come though, as Bolton had sat deep and soaked up Arsenal pressure. Elmander picked up the ball halfway inside the Arsenal half, he looked up and played a superb pass into the left hand side of the penalty area where Mota, in lots of space, was waiting. The new Bolton player had all the time in the world to take a shot, but when he did he struck it straight against the legs of Almunia and Arsenal scrambled clear. Would Bolton end up regretting that missed chance?

Fabregas tried an audacious effort from 35 yards on 63 minutes which sailed narrowly passed Jaaskelainen’s right post as Arsenal struggled to find a way through. Wenger was getting visibly frustrated as Bolton’s very negative tactics were preventing the north-London side from creating anything meaningful.

Adebayor’s drive from the edge of the box on 75 minutes was held well by Jaaskelainen as Arsenal continued to struggle. The remaining 15 minutes were spent with Arsenal tweaking their tactics and line-up with subs but they couldn’t break Bolton down. Adebayor was ineffectual in the air and Eboue and Nasri couldn’t find the gaps down the channels to punish Bolton. A powerful drive from Bolton sub Ricardo Gardner that stung the palms of Almunia was the last remaining talking point of a rather dull second half.

Bolton had come away with all 3 points, though rather fortuitously. Arsenal would be rueing those chances they had in the first half as they continued their campaign without a win thus far.

Bolton Wanderers 1 – 0 Arsenal

Elmander 41’

Megson: “When you’re up against a team like Arsenal and you want to win you need to be as tight as can be defensively. We did play negatively second half but we had to in order to get three points on the board. I’m very happy with our display overall and hopefully we can build on this result.”

Wenger: “What they played wasn’t football. It was like the whole second half was extra time in a game. They scored a very good goal that they didn’t deserve and rode their luck. Today we played well but didn’t have the cutting edge, it’s a shame but we move forward and hopefully we’ll be involved in a better game next week.”

Coming up – Sunday’s action.

Thank you, Nathan!

Sunday, 24th August

1:30pm

Portsmouth v Fulham

Portsmouth would be looking to bounce back from their unfortunate defeat to Birmingham last weekend in their first home game of the campaign. Fulham would be hoping Owen could continue to find his feet.

Teams

Portsmouth (4-5-1)

James, Johnson, Distin, Campbell, Belhadj, O’Neil, Davis, Diop, Mullins, Kranjcar, Utaka.

Subs: Begovic, Kanu, Gonzalez, Pamarot, Crouch, Little, Hreidarsson.

Fulham (4-4-2)

Schwarzer, Pantsil, Hangeland, Hughes, Edman, Davies, Teymourian, Murphy, Konchesky, Owen, Johnson.

Subs: Zuberbuhler, Stoor, Kallio, Gray, Kamara, Omozusi, Baird.

--------

That ‘bloke with the bell’ was certainly enjoying this day and he rang loud and proud in the corner of Fratton Park. Fulham brought more than their usual small away travelling contingent for this game.

It took just 3 and a half minutes for the first chance to occur. Danny Murphy’s superb through ball found Andy Johnson in space in the area, but the striker dragged his shot across goal and wide and should have really done better. The opening stages were quite open and a few corners were given here and there as the crossing was particularly disappointing.

It took until 24 minutes for Portsmouth to get their first real chance and it was quite a good one, as Hayden Mullins met Niko Kranjcar’s cross at the near post but his header went just over the bar. Just after, Sean Davis’ superb run down the right ended with a cross to the near post where Gary O’Neil waited. The ex Middlesbrough player took a touch before lashing the ball at goal but Mark Schwarzer did superbly to tip the ball around the post.

On the half hour mark Portsmouth created two more meaningful chances. First Sol Campbell’s header from a Kranjcar corner was headed narrowly wide before John Utaka’s close range effort went wide of the post. It was just like the Birmingham game last week for Portsmouth who couldn’t make their pressure count.

One last chance of the half came dead on half time and it fell to Fulham. Teymourian’s superb cross field pass found Edman in space, but the Swede’s effort from 23 yards was tipped over the bar by David James.

The opening stages of the second half were certainly ones to watch. First, Diop’s crashing drive from distance went narrowly over the bar, before the first goal of the game came along. Kranjcar’s free kick from 20 yards hit the wall and fell to the unmarked Distin who smashed home at Schwarzer’s near post from a tight angle. The Fulham keeper should have done better but Distin did hit it well and Portsmouth had a deserved lead.

Soon after, Gary O’Neil’s left foot strike from the edge of the box was well saved this time by Schwarzer. From the resulting corner, Distin headed narrowly wide as Portsmouth turned the screw and Fulham looked less effective. Moments later, a Danny Murphy free kick was met by Hangeland at the back post but he couldn’t keep his header down.

A last ditch tackle from Brede Hangeland on 70 minutes prevented Utaka from getting a great chance, before Fulham sub Diomansy Kamara suffered an injury and due to Fulham having already made 3 substitutions, they were down to 10 men for the remaining 10 minutes.

Just before added on time at the end of the game, John Utaka went on a mazy run and his effort was tipped over the bar by Schwarzer before Teymourian cleared the resulting corner off the line at the near post.

The final whistle went and it was a deserved win for Portsmouth in an entertaining game despite a lack of goals.

Portsmouth 1 – 0 Fulham

Distin 48’

Hart: “A good game to watch and a good win for us. It was the same as last week in that we dominated only this time we got the illusive goal. We’ve started well, two good performances and some nice football, hopefully it will continue.”

Hodgson: “A shame we couldn’t muster enough chances really as their defence was never that solid but Johnson and Owen didn’t really show up today which made it easier for them. Still it’s a hard place to come and the score-line was fair and we should be thankful to Schwarzer we didn’t concede more.”

Archived