Premier Division:		1978
European Champions Cup: 	1979, 1980

Other titles won

Coca-Cola Championship:	        1907, 1922, 1998
English FA Cup:			1898, 1959
English League Cup:		1978, 1979, 1989, 1990
English Community Shield:	1978
European Super Cup:		1979

The best period for Nottingham Forest was under the reign of Brain Clough. When he joined in 1975 he started to build a team that brought great success. First he won the title in the Premier Division and this was followed by winning the European Champions Cup twice in a row.

Brain Clough stayed at the club till 1993. When he left the club a dark period started. Relegations and promotions followed through the years. Also financial the club had to face a lot of problems and in 2002 they nearly were bankrupt. But they managed to survive and hoped that they could find their way up. But they were wrong as in 2005 they relegated to the Coca-Cola League 1. Finally last year they managed to win promotion to the Coca-Cola Championship.

Everyone at the club still dream about the period of Glory when Brain Clough was the manager and once again they could sing their song again with the team on the field holding the European Champions Cup. But would this dream ever become reality?

And now I am the new manager of Nottingham Forest and fans hope that I will be able to bring back success.

12-06-08

Finally after weeks of negotiating, the moment is there and I can sign the contract at the club. So from this moment on I will be the new manager of Nottingham Forest and my goal is to bring success back to the club.

I was given a contract until June 2010 worth € 4,000 a week. The board expectation was to win promotion to the Premier Division. To help me with this I was given a transfer budget of € 750,000 and a wage budget of € 96,000.

The financial position of Nottingham Forest:

Balance: 		€ 3,610,000
Outstanding Loans:	€ 11,000,000
Sponsors:		€ 275,000 per season (till 2009)

Wage Budget:		€ 96,480
Current Wage:		€ 71,610
Transfer Budget:	€ 759,000

The staff at Nottingham Forest:

Manager
Patrick Hiddink	(30-06-2010)

Assistant Manager
David Kelly (30-06-2012)

Coaches
Julian Darby [1st Team] (30-06-2012)
John Pemberton [Coach] (30-06-2009)
Peter Williams [Goalkeeper] (30-06-2012)
Ryland Morgans [Fitness] (30-06-2011)
Steve Sutton [Youth] (30-06-2011)
Nick Marshall [Youth] (30-06-2010)
Eoin Jess [Youth] (30-06-2010)
Chris Fairclough [Youth] (30-06-2009)

Physio’s
Phil Mcloughlin (30-06-2012)
Andy Hunt (30-06-2011)
Steve Devine (30-06-2013)
Andrew Balderston (30-06-2012)

Scouts
David Friio (30-06-2011)
Keith Burt (30-06-2012)

The players

Name [position, Age, Nationality] – years, matches, goals (at Nottingham Forest)

Goalkeepers:
Paul Smith [GK, 28, ENG] – 2, 91, 0
Shane Redmond [GK, 19, IRL] - 3, 0, 0

Defenders:
Brendan Moloney [D R, 19, IRL] – 3, 3, 0
Luke Chambers [D RC, 22, ENG] – 2, 56, 6
Joe Heath [D L, 19, ENG] – 0, 0, 0
Julian Bennett [D LC, 23, ENG] - 3, 82, 8
Kelvin Wilson [D RC, 22. ENG] – 1, 42, 0
Wes Morgan [D C, 24, ENG] – 8, 198, 6
Joel Lynch [D C, 20, ENG] – 0, 0, 0  On a loan from Brighton and Hove Albion
Ian Breckin [D C, 33, ENG] – 3, 120, 12

Midfielders:
Paul Anderson [AM RL, 19, ENG] – 0, 0, 0  On a loan from Liverpool
Arron Davies [AM RL, 23, WAL] – 1, 19, 1
Lee Martin [AM L, 21, ENG] – 0, 0, 0  On a loan from Manchester United
Garath McCleary [AM RL, 21, ENG] – 1, 8, 1
Guy Moussi [M C, 23, FRA] – 0, 0, 0
James Perch [M C, 22, ENG] – 6, 136, 8
Chris Cohen [AM LC, 21, ENG] – 1, 42, 2
Lewis McGugan [AM C, 19, ENG] – 3, 46, 8

Attackers:
Robert Earnshaw [sT, 27, WAL] – 0, 0, 0
Joe Garner [sT, 20, ENG] – 0, 0, 0
Nathan Tyson [sT, 26, ENG] – 3, 86, 26 

13-06-08

Frans Spronck signed a contract at Nottingham Forest. He will added to my staff as a scout. He will be scouting Eastern Europe for me.

14-06-08

Another scout signed a contract at Nottingham Forest. Danny Davies will have 2 area’s to scout. First of all he will be responsible for the United Kingdom and Ireland. Also will he look around for youngsters.

17-06-08

My first signing was Ishmel Demontagnac, a left midfielder.He joined Nittingham Forest as a free agent. After one if my scouts had a look at this young player, I was told this was a good signing. Demontagnac has the potential to become a good player for the club in the future.

He will join the club on Tuesday 1st July 2008.

30-06-08

My second signing was a young goalkeeper. Ángel Bernabé signed a contract for xx years. I had to pay a fee of € 110,000 to Atlético Madrid. According my scouts Bernabé is a quality signing and has the potential to get better as our current first choice goalkeeper.

He will join the club on Tuesday 1st July 2008.

01-07-08

Both Ishmel Demontagnac and Ángel Bernabé joined Nottingham Forest to strengthen the club.

Especially Demontagnac’s comment to the press made the fans angry. He explained he wanted to use his new club as a stepping stone to greater things. Though I could understan that a player wanted to reach the highest level in football, he should have not told this to the press. Showing your skills on the pitch is the best way to show yourself to the fans and also to bigger clubs.

02-07-08

Peter Hill-Wood (Arsenal) and Nigel Doughty (Nottingham Forest) were pleased to announce a new link between the clubs.

Notringham Forest will host an annual friendly between the 2 clubs with all gate receipts to be kept by Forest.

Arsenal will be able to send players on loan to Nottingham Forest. During the loan spell the player’s wage will be paid in full by Arsenal. Nottingham Forest have no obligation to play the player and he may be recalled by Arsenal at any time.

Arsenal will pay Nottingham Forest an annual fee of € 111,000.

03-07-08

Twenty-nine year old Caneroonian Jean-Joel Perrier-Doumbe signed a contract for 2 years. I had to pay Celtic a fee of € 90,000.

Perrier is a good player who will bring experience to the club. He has played 112 official matches for several teams in France and also did he play 18 matches for Cameroon.

Also Jon Daly joined Nottingham Forest for a fee of € 26,000. The former Dundee United striker signed a contract for 4 years. Daly will strengthen our attack.

The fans were delighted that Daly joined the club and congratulated me for securing the signature of this striker.

04-07-08

I talked with Tottenham Hotspur about Jacgues Maghoma. As I did not have the money to buy him, I wanted to get him on a loan. The Spurs accepted my offer and as Maghoma also wanted to join, the deal was made. Maghoma will stay at The City Ground the entire season and we did not have to pay anything.

Maghoma can be used as a central midfielder and also as left midfielder. He has the potential to become a good midfielder for the Championship.

10-07-08

Guus Joppen joined Nottingham Forest for a fee of € 300,000. This young central defender has the potential to become one of the best players in our defense. This sure will be a lost for his former club Helmond Sport.

11-07-08

The draw of the English League Cup 1st Round was made today. We will play against Rotherham United in away game. The match is set for Wednesday 13th August.

Rotherham United is playing in the Coca-Cola League 2 and the media expect them to end 11th place this season. So we have a good chance to qualify for the next round.

15-07-08

Friendly: Partick Thistle (0) – (1) Nottingham Forest

Our first friendly match and we played a good game but had problems with scoring the goal. We had 22 shots and only 3 were on target. It was Tyson scoring the only goal this match. My first victory as a professional manager although it was only a friendly game.

17-08-08

Friendly: Cambridge United (0) – (0) Nottingham Forest

I was disappointed with the result and also with the performance. We were not able to put even one shot on target. So it seemed our attack was not strong enough. Also we gave away to many chances. So Cambridge United could have won today’s game. Lets hope we will do better in the next match.

18-07-08

I was able to sign 2 experienced midfielders to strengthen the team. Jorge Luque came from Xerez for a fee of € 75,000 and Andrés Fleurquin joined for a fee of € 6,000 from Cádiz.

With these players added to the team, I believe we have a good midfield this season.

23-07-08

Friendly: Nottingham Forest (1) – Tottenham Hotspur (2)

A real test today as we played against a Premier Division team. At the start if the game I hoped we could avoid a heavy defeat. In the first half we conceeded 2 goals. Both goals came from a shot at long range. In the second half we were able to push them back. We were lucky that Tottenham scored an own goal and brought us back in the game. In the last 15 minutes we had a few good chances but failed to score the equalizer. So the match ended in a 2-1 defeat.

25-07-08

With the start of the season nearing, Sky Bett announced the odds for the Coca-Cola Championship. They believed Bermingham City were the favourites this season.

The odds given:

=================================
3-1 Birmingham City
5-1 Reading
8-1 Crystal Palace, Derby County
10-1 Bristol City
12-1 Watford

40-1 Nottingham Forest
==================================

Coming in at 40-1 it seems that the bookmakers have us tipped as an outside chance for promotion this campaign. Wether we make it or not will ultimately depend on how we fare against the top teams in this division.

25-07-08

Friendly: Nottingham Forest (1) – (1) Arsenal Reserves

We were the better team on the pitch, we created more chances but we failed to take the game. Again scoring goals was the problem. Sure we had some bad luck as post and bar were hit. Also their goalkeeper made some excellent saves. The match ended in a draw. It was Earnshaw scoring in the beginning of the first half. Arsenal equalized when Dunne tried a shot from a distance. The match ended in a 1-1 draw.

Bad news after the game as Earnshaw sustained a broken toe and he would be out for 3 months. Also McCleary picked up an injury and he would miss 3 weeks.

26-07-08

Jim Hamilton joined Nottingham Forest for a fee of € 30,000. I hoped he would strengthen our attack. Also his experience should be of help for our young attackers.

28-07-08

Friendly: Crewe Alexandra (1) – (1) Nottingham Forest

It was a close match and both teams had their chances to score a goal. It was Hamilton who gave us a lead at the end of the first half. I hoped we would secure this victory by adding another goal in the second. But as we failed to score, we gave Crewe the chance. And so ot happened that a few minutes before the end of the game, they scored the equalizer. So another match ended in a 1-1 draw because we had problems to score.

30-07-08

A managed to sell a few players to enlighten our wage bill. Paddy Gamble joined Crawley Town on a free. He was not part of my plans and it was best for him to go to another team.

Also Hamza Bencherif left Nottingham Forest. He joined Forest Green for a fee of € 16,000. He also did not fit in my plans.

Ishmel Demontagnac went on a loan to Burton Albion. At the moment he was not good enough to be a regular player at the City Ground and going to Burton Albion, he would have a better chance to play first team football.

31-07-08

Friendly: Bournemouth (0) – (2) Nottingham Forest

We dominated in today’s match and Bournemouth never got the feeling they could get away with a good result. It was Martin giving us an early lead and Daly to double the score with a header. The match ended in an easy 2-0 victory.

After the match I was told that 2 players had picked up an injury. Fleurquin sustained a twisted knee and was out for 4 weeks. Chambers suffered a gashed arm and needed a week to recover.

01-08-08

Still I believed we needed an attacker to strengthen the team. During the friendlies our problem was scoring goals. So I tried to loan Zoltán Harsány from Bolton Wanderers. They accepted my offer for a 3 month’s loan. Hopefully we could extend the loan after 3 months if he does well.

Thanks Nathan, probably gonna take a while to complete this challenge

======================================================

03-08-08

Óscar de Paula joined from Ponferradina for a fee of € 1,000 to strengthen our attack. I hope he will show to be a strengthen for the team.

09-08-08

Championship: Charlton Athletics (3) – (3) Nottingham Forest

In an enthralling match which saw bith sides throw caution to the wind, it was football which was ultimately the winner.

In the first half both teams created some chances but only one goal was scored. Gray was free in the area when he was given te ball. He stood allone in front of the goalkeeper and had no problems to net the ball. We tried to find the equalizer but failed in the first half.

In the second half it was Daly with a brace to turn around the game. First he scored from the spot as Anderson was tripped in the area. And a few minutes later he scored after bad clearance by the goalkeeper. It looked like we were going to take home 3 points today when Cohen converted a freekick. But Charlton did not give in and fought their way back in the game. First it was Racon to beat our goalkeeper and in extra time Newton scored the equalizer. It was an exciting match and both teams did not deserve to lose this match. Still I was not that happy as we gave away the match in the last minutes of the game.

Jon Daly was chosen as man of the match.

13-08-08

League Cup Round 1: Rotherham United (0) – (1) Nottingham Forest

As the board expected us to reach at least the third round of this cup, we needed to win this match. We were seen as favourite to win today as Rotherham plays in a lower division.

We did not have much problems with Rotherham as our defense was able to stop most of their attacks and our goalkeeper only had to make one save. We created several chances in front of the goal but getting the ball in the net was very hard. Especially de Paula should have scored when he was one-on-one with the goalkeeper but he failed. Finally it was Maghoma to score the only goal of the game after a good cross by Perrier-Doumbe. And so we were qualified for the next round.

We gave a decent performance but we should get more effective in front of the goal. I was pleasec with the victory though we should have scored more.

16-08-08

The draw of the League Cup 2nd Round was made and I was not really pleased with it. Again we had an away match and it was against Newcastle United. So a though draw as we had to face a Premier Division team. Ofcourse we had a change but then all had to go well in that match.

16-08-08

Championship: Nottingham Forest (0) – (0) Birmingham City

A real test in today’s home match as we had to face the top favourite to win the Championship.

The first shot towards goal was made by Birmingham. After that shot we controlled the game and were the attacking side. We tried several shots at goal but failed to beat the goalkeeper. As our defence stopped their attacks, Smith did not have to make a save in the first half.

In the second half it was again Birmingham with the first shot but that was off target. We were the stronger team and created danger in front of the goal. But luck was not on our side today as shots by Martin, Daly and Harsány hit the post. We should have won today but the match ended in a goalles draw.

A key member of Birmingham claimed that his team were fortunate to escape today with a draw.

Man of the match was Hamilton as he was a constant problem for Birmingham.

Archived