An Interview with the Arsenal Manager-a young fan's story

Mambaman

Sunday 3rd May 2009 1800hrs

Sebastian Patterson peered anxiously back into the living room as he spoke in quiet tones into the phone

'He's not taken it well I have to say Dr. He is just staring at the screen: I have tried to communicate with him but he's utterly non-responsive. Yes. For the last fifteen minutes. None at all. Ok. Ok I will try that-hang on.'

Jake's Dad returned to the living room just as Martin Tyler announced almost triumphantly on the TV:

'THEY'VE DONE IT! MANCHESTER UNITED ARE CHAMPIONS AGAIN! Chelsea's dominance is over and the threat from Arsenal extinguished!'

That's all he needed thought Sebastian as he crept towards the TV. The voice went on:

'Arsenal's 1-1 draw with Boro yesterday would have made no difference and this Leeds team were hardly going to offer any resistance. The score: Leeds United 0, Manchester United 3. Andy, your thoughts-'

And at the point the TV was switched off by the older Patterson the younger one stopped hugging his knees to his chest in that child-like way and spoke: 'there is still the Champion's League Dad not to mention 2nd place-we cannot allow Spurs to beat us to 2nd place.' This last was said with almost vicious intensity.

Seb went to sit by his son and hugged him close. 'We're all disappointed son but as you say we can still be Champion's of Europe and we can still beat the hated Spurs to 2nd place eh?'

Jake nodded and sniffed, his eyes were as wide as saucers, red and inflamed, giving him an almost cartoon like appearance.

'Yes the Champion's League Dad-it's all to play for-I don't know what I will do if we don't win....'

And Seb was scared because not for the first time he genuinely feared for his son's sanity: they simply had to win the Champion's League-there was no other option.............

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monday 11th May 1630hrs

Jake was supposed to have been playing football this afternoon (a sport that he wasn't very good at due to his wiry frame and lack of strength) but had bunked school early to get home and pore over Ben Amponsah's personal e-mail on his computer. The season had now ended and Jake sat at his computer and surveyed the final league standings on the Sky website with some satisfaction:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Holders - Man Utd

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | ECC | Man Utd | | 38 | 24 | 10 | 4 | 71 | 25 | +46 | 82 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | ECC | Arsenal | | 38 | 22 | 9 | 7 | 70 | 33 | +37 | 75 |

| 3rd | ECC | Tottenham | | 38 | 22 | 9 | 7 | 56 | 31 | +25 | 75 |

| 4th | ECC | Chelsea | | 38 | 21 | 9 | 8 | 60 | 32 | +28 | 72 |

| 5th | EC | Liverpool | | 38 | 18 | 12 | 8 | 52 | 36 | +16 | 66 |

| 6th | EC | Aston Villa | | 38 | 18 | 8 | 12 | 52 | 43 | +9 | 62 |

| 7th | | Blackburn | | 38 | 15 | 11 | 12 | 30 | 30 | 0 | 56 |

| 8th | EC | Bolton | | 38 | 12 | 18 | 8 | 34 | 27 | +7 | 54 |

| 9th | EV | Charlton | | 38 | 15 | 8 | 15 | 55 | 42 | +13 | 53 |

| 10th | | Man City | | 38 | 15 | 8 | 15 | 44 | 54 | -10 | 53 |

| 11th | | West Ham | | 38 | 12 | 10 | 16 | 35 | 51 | -16 | 46 |

| 12th | | Portsmouth | | 38 | 12 | 9 | 17 | 47 | 54 | -7 | 45 |

| 13th | | Newcastle | | 38 | 11 | 11 | 16 | 32 | 38 | -6 | 44 |

| 14th | | Middlesbrough | | 38 | 9 | 14 | 15 | 34 | 45 | -11 | 41 |

| 15th | | Reading | | 38 | 10 | 11 | 17 | 33 | 45 | -12 | 41 |

| 16th | | Fulham | | 38 | 10 | 10 | 18 | 28 | 42 | -14 | 40 |

| 17th | | West Brom | | 38 | 9 | 12 | 17 | 33 | 54 | -21 | 39 |

| 18th | R | Q.P.R. | | 38 | 10 | 7 | 21 | 31 | 50 | -19 | 37 |

| 19th | R | Wigan | | 38 | 7 | 15 | 16 | 35 | 54 | -19 | 36 |

| 20th | R | Leeds | | 38 | 3 | 9 | 26 | 23 | 69 | -46 | 18 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

It was only 'some' satisfaction because it was still 2nd and not 1st place. However there was the small matter, in just over a week, of the Champion's League Final in Rotterdam: it was Arsenal's 3rd Champion's League Final in 4 years: an unprecendented achievement-the only problem being that Arsenal had still never won this most coveted of Club prizes. Still, if anyone could win it then it was Ben Amponsah, Jake thought grimly.

Why was he grim? Because Arsenal had been undone at Stamford Bridge the previous Wednesday. It had actually been a superb effort by the Gunners who had gone all out to win on their great London rivals home turf in order to carry some momentum into the Champion's League Final. And for the whole of the 1st half the fight was carried to Chelsea. Henry opened Arsenal's account with a beautiful turn and volley in the box from a perfectly weighted Hleb pass. Amponsah had surprised everyone by restoring the Belarussian to the right wing and Tuncay to the left to once again shuffle the pack and keep his opponents off balance.

Unfortunately Buffon then made one of his all too customary errors passing to the grateful Shevchenko who returned the ball, with interest, into the back of the Arsenal net. What had pleased Seb, watching the game with his dad that balmy May evening, was how Arsenal then went straight back at Chelsea: they were first to every ball, harrying, chasing, tackling-Denilson and Richards in the centre were a tour de force. Sure enough ; on the 30th minute Hleb, who was having the game of his life, turned from provider to scorer: from a Chelsea corner the ball was cleared to Tuncay, who played an instant long cross field ball to the advancing right winger, out on his own on the flank. Hleb jinked and dribbled into the box, evaded the attentions of both Ashley Cole and Cambiasso and then lobbed the onrushing Cech for what would surely be a contender for goal of the season. Jake and Seb Patterson were both off their seats dancing around the living room for the sheer joy of it-what a goal! What a team! They were overpowering Chelsea in their own back yard. Amponsah was leaping around the touchline like a crazed marionnete-his infectious joy unbridled.

Of course it couldnt last and Chelsea, switching from 4-1-4-1 to a conventional 4-4-2, were like a new team in the 2nd half. First Gallas was tricked into a rash foul on Luca Toni in the box (who it must be said went down as if shot). Ashley Cole made no mistake: 2-2! Arsenal were having trouble keeping the ball and seemed to be struggling with Chelsea's switch to 2 strikers and 2 wingers-Richards also seemed to be injured. Henry went very close at the other end in the last 20 minutes-an effort that he really should have put in after receiving a perfect through ball from Richards just outside the 6 yard box. The striker held his head in his hands and was to feel even more gutted 5 minutes later when Shevchenko conjured up a goal from thin air, collecting the ball to the right of the Arsenal penalty box, turning in a flash and thrashing the ball into the opposite corner before either the defense or the pedestrian Buffon had registered what had happened. Jake and Seb sat in stunned silence. The last ten minutes saw Arsenal under the cosh as Chelsea twisted the screw with Buffon finally proving his pedigree by pulling out 2 world class saves. However, even the introduction of Rosicky for the struggling Richards and a move to a wholly more attacking footing didnt affect the outcome: Arsenal had been beaten for the first time since the beginning of April: they would now have to beat Charlton and hope that Spurs lost away to Liverpool on the last Saturday of the season to be sure of 2nd place behind United......

Jake scanned the e-mail:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> AMPONSAH'S VIEW: The Official Arsenal Manager's E-Mail

Sent: 11/05/09 1345 to jakep@hotmail.com

Arsenal V Charlton:-My Verdict

This was a much better result after the reverses at Middlesborough and then Chelsea and gives us some momentum going into the much vaunted all-England Champion's League final in Rotterdam. I feel that the team have performed valiantly and with real passion and committment these last 2 months and until the last defeats we were the form team in the Premiership by some stretch.

Charlton have become a dangerous team under Ian Dowie: let's remember that they beat Liverpool 3-1 last weekend at Anfield and though Liverpool played most of the game with only 10 men that is still some feat. I warned the players not to be complacent as we had pride to play for: it would certainly have stuck in my throat and I've no dounbt the players', if Tottenham beat us in the League placings.

I started again with Hleb and Tuncay on the wings as they have quickly come back into form after long periods out with injury: Alexiandr I am particularly happy with as he has been criticised in some quarters for indifferent form and lack of committment. I also decided to use Wesley Sneijder in the centre alongside Micah Richards as I dont yet feel that Tomas Rosicky is back to 100 form after his own injury problems.

We started brightly with much of our potency coming down the flanks but we were reminded in the 7th minute how dangerous a counter-attacking side Charlton are when Kanoute fired over from close range. I was pleased with some of the first half saves that Gianluigi pulled off in the first quarter of the game: one, at least, from Jerome Thomas, was world class. He has picked up quite a lot of stick from some quarters for some inconsistent form but I still consider him to be the best goalkeeper in the World and would urge patience: the Premiership is not an easy league to slot into even as a goalkeeper. He has kept 30 clean sheets in 55 appearances, which is a pretty good record by any reckoning.

Hleb repaid my faith by putting in the 1st goal after a goalmouth scramble initiated by Traore but I was a little concerned at our inability to keep the ball so I asked for shorter passing. The Team complied and we slowly started to control the game in the 2nd half. I am particularly pleased with the way that Niclas Bendtner has grown into the role of support striker for Thierry in the 2nd half of this season and it was his mazy run and shot that the Charlton goalkeeper could only palm into the path of Alexiandr. Hleb then showed calmness and composure to slot the ball home for his second and he fully deserved his man of the match award. It is a shame that Thierry missed a penalty, awarded for a trip on Tuncay, but that's football. Thierry will score penalties all day-some he will miss.

And so we have finished in 2nd place: it is an improvement on last season but not enough: we want to win the Championship and will strive to do so next season. For now, winning the Champion's League would be some consolation, especially as this proud club, with all it's proud history, has never done so. It would be a great honour to do it in my 3rd season and at the 2nd attempt. I hope that as many of you as possible will make the short trip to Rotterdam to cheer the team on and that the rest will support us from the clubs and bars around North London.

Thanks for your support.

Ben Amponsah </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bet, thought Jake: he had already arranged to watch the game at a Private members club that his Dad belonged to in Islington-it would be quite an evening if last season's example was anything to go by. On that occasion Jake had been so gutted at the 4-2 drubbing by Chelsea that he had sequestered himself in the toilets with an illicit bottle of Vodka that he had smuggled onto the premises and had to be carried out of the club, vomiting and urinating all over himself. He had actually then had to go to hospitol with alcohol poisoning he was so ill. His dad had not been best pleased-in fact he had been furious. Hopefully this final would have a happier outcome..........

NEWS:

Diarra set to sign for Gunners in surprise £4m cut price coup

The Mirror Monday 18th May 2009

Heath Bartmanis (Chief Sports Writer):

In what has seemed like a whirlwind deal, highly rated Mali midfielder Mahamadou Diarra has signed for Arsenal under the noses of a chasing pack that included Manchester United, Chelsea, Seville and Bayern Munich. My sources at the North London giants tell me that they were as surprised as anyone when Real Madrid offered the player to them at half his listed value of £8m. For his part the player was quoted as saying that he was really looking forward to joining his new club and playing alongside players like Thierry Henry.....

NEWS:

Arsenal look for historic Champion's Cup victory

The Independent Wednesday 20th May 2009

Glenn Wheeler reports from the De Kuip Stadion, Rotterdam

Arsenal will be looking to win the Champion's Cup for the first time in the club's 123 year history when they play Manchester United tonight having appeared in two previous finals in the last 4 years without success.

Should Arsenal end their hurt by lifting the trophy, the team will undoubtedly look at their memorable away victory over Italian League Runners Up, Inter, as perhaps the defining moment in their exciting cup run. Let's just remember that Manchester United have got form: they are already 3 times winners of this competition and one of those under the wily old fox, Ferguson.

Ex Arsenal favourite, Jens Lehman, now plying his trade for the Portuguese Champions, Sporting Club de Portugal, has singled out Rio Ferdinand as the United danger man and the player that the Arsenal attack would have to plot their way round if they are to get anything out of the game. Manchester United are, of course, missing Wayne Rooney through injury so are not as potent a force as they could be. Ben Amponsah, conversely has a full squad (less long term injury Tevez) to choose from.

In a further sign that Amponsah intends to strengthen his attack still further he indicated recently that he would be making every effort to try and sign the Athletico Captain, Fernando Torres, provided he was available at a reasonable price: Arsenal have just put a number of key players onto the transfer list including Shaun Wright-Phillips, who Manchester City want back, Emmanuel Adebayor, Robin Van Persie and Lauren. It also looks like Peggy Lokando will leave on a free as he has been offered a contract by Sheffield United.

For now, though, Ben Amponsah's mind will be firmly on making history as his team bid to be the first ever in Arsenal's iconic red and white strip to lift the Cup with the big ears..........

Wednesday 20th May 2009 1935hrs @ The Islington Gentleman's Club

The stage was set. Everywhere Jake looked a sea of Arsenal shirts, the 'Fly Emirates' sponsor logo ubiquitous. Red and white scarves adorned every wall and the bar was packed-there must have been more than 200 in on this most momentous of occasions. Luckily, as one of the VIP members of the club, Sebastian Patterson and his entourage, which included his dad's ever-present friend, Erwin as well as Gemma, were reserved a palatial sofa in front of one of the mega large 52 inch Plasma TVs giving them a grandstand view. Jake knew many other people there from the Supporters Club and a few friends from school but the best thing about this place was the fact that he was allowed to drink-it being a Private Members Club. He was sipping nervously at his Smirnoff Ice and fiddling abstractedly with his glasses: something he always did when he was really anxious. His mate Gemma seemed fine , Jake noted. She would, though, not really understanding the true importance of this game and all that. Sebastian, for his part, and Erwin were quietly concentrating on the punditry before the game. The club had decided to opt for the superior coverage of Sky to ITV and that consisted of Richard Keays as presenter with Roy Keane, Graeme Souness and Charlie Nicholas in the studio and the ever-dependable Martin Tyler and Andy Grey in the commentary box.

The volume was now cranked up to the maximum level so that people could hear what was going on above the hubbub: Roy Keane , the ex Sunderland Manager, was pontificating in that deceptively soft spoken Irish lilt of his:

'I agree Richard that United are not going into this game with their strongest line up but they will be very well-organised and they have pedigree

'What and Arsenal don't!' exploded Erwin besides Jake.

Charlie Nicholas took up the refrain 'Come on Roy Arsenal have tons of pedigree-they also have more players that remember playing in the final, which is more than can be said for Manchester United, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs and Phil Neville excepted, of course. And I fully expect that Ferguson will name Scholes and Giggs for the bench...'

'Well we can now go to our guys in the commentary box: Martin Tyler and Andy Gray-how's it going there guys?'

'Hello Richard-let me tell you that the atmosphere here is electric: we've got the Manchester United fans away and to my left, the Arsenal fans to my right and they are making one helluva racket!'

'I'd second that Richard-it's a superb atmosphere: fifty one thousand fans ready we hope to experience a festival of football!' intoned Andy Gray in his gruff Scots accent, 'Let's have a look at the line-ups:'

__________________________________________Buffon_____________________________________________

Hoyte_______________________Toure_______________________Gallas________________________________Traore

Hleb_______________________Richards______________________Rosicky_______________________________Tuncay

___________________________Bendtner________________________Henry ©__________________________

Substitutes:

Stekelenburg (GK)

Senderos (DC)

Van Persie (AML,FC)

Sneijder (AMRLC)

Walcott (AMR, FC)

Denilson (DM)

Clichy (D/WBL)

As Andy Gray launched into his usual appraisal of the starting line ups and pretty Sky graphics flashed up on the big screen Jake took off his glasses, turned to his father, , his face serious and said: 'we are going to win this...I can feel it Dad!'

Seb was moved by the intensity of conviction that his son was displaying-all piercing blue eyes and pretty angular face-but he knew that the world was sometimes a very unfair and dark place: he wished he could believe....

On the screen flashed up the United line-up:

_______________________________________Van De Sar_______________________________________

G Neville ©__________________N Vidic___________R Ferdinand_____________________________G Heinze

Christiano Ronaldo___________D Fletcher___________M Carrick______________________________J Park

_________________________________L Saha____________G Pandev_______________________________

Substitutes:

Kuszcak (GK)

O'Shea (DLC, WBL, DM)

Evans C (MC)

Spencer K (ST)

Silvestre (SW, DLC, WBL)

Giggs R (AMLC)

Scholes P (AMC)

'Now the thing here Martin is look at United's line up and you immediately notice Rooney is missing and Scholes is missing. Now Rooney we know is injured and he will be missed but Scholes? I know that his form has been indifferent towards the back end of this season but surely you cant leave him out can you?'

Well he obviously had been left out Jake thought: it was a massive boost nonetheless.

'.......and we know that Giggs has hardly had a look in this season. Carrick must play: he is the form midfielder in the squad but surely you pair him with Paul Scholes. I for one don't understand that move. If I was Ben Amponsah I would be licking my lips together with glee.'

'You may be right Andy: it certainly looks like a weaker line up but they do have Christiano Ronaldo who can produce a moment of brilliance to turn the game-'

'They do, they do Martin but, see, Arsenal have Henry, Arsenal have Tuncay, they have Bendtner and Rosicky-not to mention Hleb-all are capable of a moment of brilliance to turn the game.'

'True true-'

'And they also have a much stronger bench Martin: the likes of the 18 year old Corrie Evans and Kris Spencer, who is only 16, can hardly compete with the Robin Van Persie's, Walcott's and Sneijder's of the world eh!'

For once Jake agreed with the inane banter between Tyler and Gray in the commentary box: Ferguson seemed to have taken leave of his senses with this line up-senility finally setting in he wondered with a half-smile playing across his features?

'Here they come, here they come!' Shrilled Gemma

'Gem shhh' Jake implored embarassedly as he watched with pride his teams walk out. All of the players faces were a picture of studied concentration and none more so than the Arsenal Manager, who quietly took his seat in the dug out after acknowledging the applause of the Arsenal faithful.

Yes, Jake thought, the fans loved Ben Amponsah almost as much as he did: the Board might be a bunch of stuck up has-beens but the fans knew what they had in this manager. Jake recalled the anger that he felt when he heard that the Board had actually delivered a rap over the knuckles to Amponsah for the recent defeat to Chelsea saying that losing to their London rivals was completely unnacceptable. Unacceptable!! They had led for most of the game and it was at Stamford Bridge! Jake had been furious. Dan Saunders was the man responsible-he seemed to have it in for the Arsenal Manager and was never slow in coming forward with one criticism or another. As if by magic the camera panned to the Directors boxes and there he was, Dan Saunders, the Arsenal Chairman, lifelong Arsenal supporter: fat, sweaty and greasy. His appearance was greeted by a loud explosions of boos and hisses, which made Jake smile. The real fans knew what was what.

The ceremonies over the teams faced each other in the balmy May night: now was the time for action: now the time to make history.................

......Much to the delight of the packed Gentleman's Club Arsenal set about their opponents with some vigour and were to produce a chance in the first 6 minutes when Tuncay was put through by Traore with only the goalkeeper to beat. Sadly his shot was too close to Van de Sar and the Dutchman was able to beat the ball away. Arsenal's tactics were clear from the start: to play a counter-attacking game down the flanks using the twin threats of the mercurial Turk, Tuncay on one flank and the mazy dribbler Alexiandr Hleb on the other. To back this up the fleet-footed young Senegalese left back, Traore, needed no prompting to get forward from deep and assist.

What was also true was that the Arsenal midfield and defence had been tasked with soaking up as much of the inevitable United pressure as they could and then launch lightning counter attacks via the wings. One such in the 8th minute saw a darting run down the left flank by Henry release Bendtner who's tight, angled drive forced a good save from Van de Sar, who was obviously the busier of the keepers so far. Jake watched for any shots of the Arsenal Manager, who remained seated, watching the game with very little emotion. His Assistant Pat Rice seemed to be shouting all the instructions: clearly the plan was unfolding as expected since Amponsah usually only became animated when things were going awry: Jake should set up a service called 'Amponsah-watch' he thought wryly after all he knew probably more about his mannerisms than most.

There was a chance for Henry in the 10th minute-again driven straight at the keeper and then the first meaningful Manchester United attack when Saha got on the end of a Park Ji Sung cross and powered a header at goal which Buffon tipped over the bar in a stunning reaction save.

The game fell into a pattern of pretty passing by United but without an end product countered by dangerous forays by Arsenal into the United penalty box: Henry stung a post with a long range effort and even Traore had a go but no breakthrough. Jake could hardly bear to watch-so much rested on this game.....

And then with 10 minutes of the half to go, at last the breakthrough: Traore fed Tuncay down the left (this left flank partnership was proving particularly dangerous to United) and the flying Turk set off on a jinking run down the flank-reached almost to the goalline and then rather than crossing, cut inside, throwing off Nemanja Vidic and then released a searching cross towards the penalty box. On the end of this pinpoint ball was the onrushing right back, Justin Hoyte, who powered an unstoppable bullet header into the United net. Pandemonium! Jake could just remember jumping around amid the din-Erwin, his Dad and Gemma all in a mad dance around and on top of their sofa-strangers became instant friends. when the din died down Jake strained to hear Andy Gray, who was himself shouting to make himself heard above the crowd:

'.......absolutely amazing to see the young right back connecting with that-a beautiful move! It's been coming though Martin: what did I just say-that Arsenal were looking by far the more dangerous side?'

Bloody right, thought Jake-bloody right! Now concentrate guys concentrate. The camera now cut to Ben Amponsah's own celebrations, which were as emphatic as anything that Jose Mourinho h

ugh-the site seemed to crash in the early hours SJ and appeared to not save any of the story though now I see that it's actually saved half of that post. Luckily I was able to copy the text into a word document when I saw what was happening so will post that now.

(Authors note: continued from post 2 above: tech issue with site).......had ever mustered. He was on his feet now, clenched fists pounding the air. He then composed himself-had a word with Pat Rice and then issued some instructions to Henry: he seemed to be saying 'Keep the boys calm'

From the restart it was expected that Manchester United would come hard at Arsenal-their pride stung-and so they did. Except the plan went awry when Nemanja Vidic's pass, from the half way line, that was supposed to find Christiano Ronaldo out on the United right was intercepted by Tuncay, who immediately fed Bendtner, hovering just to the United side of the centre circle. There were 3 United defenders goal-side of him at this stage, with Carrick just behind him and Heinze the nearest player. Jake will always remember what happened next: Bendtner merely skipped past Heinze as though he wasn't there, which immediately left the path clear to the United goal since Ferdinand had been drawn out to the United right by Henry's trademark run to his left and Vidic was caught in 2 minds. Carrick just didnt have the legs to catch the Dane, who bore down on goal, took the ball to the right of the 6 yard box and then struck a low, vicious shot that beat Van de Sar at the near post. Mayhem! This time the joy was unbridled-many could now taste a rare victory and a historic triumph. There was a long way to go but their team was dominating the enemy and were now 2 nil up-amazing!

When Jake got back from dancing a conga around the Club with a bunch of Arsenal fans dressed as vikings in some sort of homage to Niclas Bendtner, the half was almost over: he hugged his dad close and wouldnt let him go-he was very nearly overcome with emotion.

'Son, son there's another half to go remember: let's see this through eh?'

The pundits back in the studio were pretty unanimous about how the game was going: near total Arsenal dominance had seen 6 efforts from them: 4 on target matched by only 1 effort by United. What would Ferguson do to turn things around everyone wondered? Even Keane, usually the most jaundiced of United apologists had only been able to say:

'Their not at the races United-not at all. Arsenal are deservedly in the lead Richard'

The pitchside reporter, Harry Pearce grabbed hold of Amponsah as he was returning to his dug-out:

'Ben can I have a couple of words about how it's going out there?'

'Harry-oh hi. Erm-well pretty well to be honest. The boys seem to be following the game plan to the letter, which is all I can ask really.'

That's certainly the way it looks-did you expect to dominate United so totally though?'

'Well maybe not so thoroughly but we always look to dominate teams-let's see what the 2nd half brings'

'So no changes then?'

'Nope-right see you later Harry'

'Thanks Ben'

But there were no United changes at half time, though you could almost detect that they were crying out for the introduction of Paul Scholes-all that seemed to have happened was that Park and Ronaldo were interchanging wings. It was once again Arsenal who were making the best chances.

Finally on the 60th minute Scholes entered the fray. This caused a muting of some of the early celebration that had taken hold in the bar and sure enough he soon forced the hitherto under-employed Buffon into making another blinding save from point blank range. This pattern was then repeated 2 minutes later but this time the Italian denied Saha. The celebrations had died away: United were definitely now knocking at the door. Amponsah was now on his feet permanently as if sensing the danger. in the 68th minute he pulled off both Rosicky, who seemed to be tiring and had played several errant passes and also Hleb, replacing them with Sneijder and Walcott respectively: he needed Walcott's pace on the right to run at the tired United defense. Ferguson responded with the introduction of Giggs four minutes later in place of Pandev, which meant he now had Giggs and Saha in attack, with Scholes dropping back into the midfield.

'These are the moves of a desperate man!' Seb shouted at Jake as the celebratory mood started to build again: there were only 15 minutes left now. Jake hoped that his fellow fans weren't being premature: anything could happen in 15 minutes....

'Hope so Dad-not long now' Jake willed the minutes on.

Ferguson's changes were not to make any difference: it was Arsenal who came closest to scoring a third when Tuncay's shot was cleared off the line by Saha in the 90th minute. By this time, of course, the celebration was in full swing but it didnt stop Jake from bursting into tears when the final whistle went. The Arsenal players were leaping around in unbridled ecstacy-Amponsah running onto the pitch like an escapee from a lunatic asylum-hugging and kissing his players: the history-makers. For United: despair.

'The United players are in despair Andy but you have to say they have been completely outplayed by Arsenal tonight-look at Ben Amponsah: he's doing a David Pleat! He must be the happiest man in Europe'

'Him and the rest of the team Martin-look at them. And let me tell you this team is going places: 2 Cups and 2nd place in the Premiership this season-the sky is the limit Martin. And wait until they get Tevez back-what a scary thought for the rest of the Premiership. They have just humbled the League Champion's let us remember!'

Jake and Gemma, this time, were off on another conga. Jake could not remember when he was last this happy-happy for his team, happy for all his fellow supporters,happy for himself and above all, happy for the Arsenal Manager: the brightest young manager in the game bar none as far as Jake was concerned.

The supporters started singing Amponsah's name to the tune of that Beatle's tune (Guantanamera):

'There's only one Ben Amponsah, there's only one Ben Amponsah, one Ben Ampoonsaaaah-there's only one Ben Amponsah!'

Jake and Gemma joined in with youthful, unfettered joy: after 123 years they were Champion's of Europe at last.................

Saturday 23rd May 2009 @ Ben Amponsah's North London pad 1100hrs

'Arsene you flatter me to call me a legend: it was you that put this great club back on the map-not me. I have just developed what you started......yes........mais peut-etre mon brave, peut-etre..........'

Amponsah smiled broadly as he listened to his friend on the other end of the line. The conversation switched effortlessly between English and French,

'You're spending the summer in Aix? Formidable Arsene, c'est tres joli la eh?.....yeah if I get a summer holiday! Haha!'

The Arsenal Manager's face darkened: 'Yeah, they pronounced themselves "satisfied" Arsene! Satisfied! I am still in a state of shock. All they seem to be able to go on about is the fact we didn't win the Premiership. Can you believe that?..........yes...........yes. It's been a nightmare since Peter, David and co all left: they should never have sold out like that. Je le sais bien-mais c'est difficile quelquefois. Tu sais mon ami-c'est tres difficile hein?'

Amponsah checked his watch 'Arsene I gotta go-I have an interview with that young fan, Jake Patterson.....No Jake Patterson Arsene! Yes....the rather obsessive one who saved my bacon when Saunders and crew came in......1130 and then off to Islington Town Hall for open top bus ride this afternoon.......see you there? Excellent. Au revoir mon cher-a bientot.'

Ben Amponsah surveyed his luxurious modern penthouse apartment in the exclusive Islington Heights Development in North Islington-all the modcons and more were there: N1 postcode, stylish accoutrements, urbane furniture, chic design: he had come on a long way since allying his fortunes to his friend and mentor, Arsene Wenger 5 years ago. A coaching role at Arsenal followed his modest playing career and then then the unexpected anointment from Wenger at his shock resignation.

He picked up the copy of El Pais, the popular Spanish sports Daily and scanned the headlines that screamed:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Rijkeard: Cuanto dura? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How long could Frank last? That was a matter of conjecture, of course, and whilst he and the sophisticated Dutchman had become good friends over the last 3 years that didn't preclude the English Manager from eyeing up the Barcelona post with covetous eyes: this latest spat with Saunders and the Board at Arsenal had really shaken his desire to stay at the club. The erstwhile Spanish Champion's had only managed a weak 3rd this season with Valencia and Real Madrid beating Barcelona to the top 2 spots by 12 and 10 points respectively. Possibilities? He would wait and see what new provocation the Board would come up with and what high profile jobs awaited before making his move. According to the Manager ratings compiled by FIFA he was now officially a 'World Class' Manager and was ranked in the top 5-he could pick and choose the best.

Amponsah crossed to the intercom

'Walter: there is a young man coming to do an interview with me: yes he should be here presently.....yes. Make sure that the taxi is here for 12 Sharp. Thanks fella.'

He straightened himself out in the reflection of one of the massive mahogany mirrors in the Vestibule and waited: why was he the one feeling nervous he wondered?

Before long the buzzer went and Amponsah went to the door. There was a slim, bookish and somewhat feminine young man facing him nervously. He was extremely pretty was the initial overwhelming reaction. Amponsah was a Psychologist before he went into football management and he couldnt help think that he was almost sure that most people who didn't know Jake would take him for an airhead: all looks and no brain..and he was sure that Jake played on that to his advantage.

'......Mr Amponsah. Ahem. Mr Amponsah.'

'Oops. Sorry chap. I was lost in my own thoughts there. The young fan who saved my bacon eh?' And Ben clapped an arm around Jake's shoulder before leading him into the airy apartment. The look of awestruck incredulity at the realisation of a dream was not lost on the Arsenal Manager either...and was that the gleam of something slighly obsessive in those startling blue eyes, he wondered? Never mind: time to surprise the young man.

'Jake before we start I have a surprise for you: where were you going to watch the parade from?'

'Erm, well my Dad's house is not far from the parade route so we were gonna watch it from there sir'

Amponsah smiled 'No need: here's VIP bus passes to get you and 2 others onto the 2nd bus: it's on me'

The smile of gratitude that shone from the boy was enough to melt the hardest of hearts...................

Thanks SJ icon_wink.gif

Saturday 8th Aug 2009 On the Beach at Sitges near Barcelona

Jake stretched out on the sun bed and basked in the warm glow of the Mediterranean sun. His thoughts were far away though; they were in North London on a mild May afternoon, remembering the Interview, which had yielded so much about his hero, to the excited call to his Dad to grab Erwin, or whoever, and meet him at the start of the Parade route. A dash in one of Ben Amponsah's specially laid-on cars and then the parade. Hugs with his Dad and Erwin, a sea of ecstatic faces lining the Islington route. He had even met some of the back-room staff and some of the Board who were riding on the 2nd bus though he was spared Dan Saunders corpulent presence-thank God-as he was on the 1st bus. A breathless Gemma had even told him afterwards that the BBC Commentator had name-checked him when the camera dwelled on the 2nd bus: she said that she had almost fainted with the shock. He had been quite the talk of the school afterwards.

His mind went back to the interview itself: his questions had, of course, been vetted thoroughly by the Arsenal PR people. They therefore followed the usual course of anodyne questions the likes of which you might expect someone like Garth Crooks to be asking: who were the best performers in the squad? Would Henry be there next season? Who was Amponsah chasing in terms of summer transfers? All had been played with a very straight bat by Amponsah until Jake had slipped in a bit of a googley and asked an off the cuff question that wasn't in the script at all:

'And I am presuming that the Board were really chuffed with the Champion's League win?'

The Arsenal PR man, who had been sitting quietly in the background, sprang up, 'Don't answer that-it's not in the approved questions! Right young man-interview over-'

'Eric sit down!' Ben's voice was sharp and commanding, 'I think I will be the judge of which questions I answer in my own home!'

The PR man had sat down, deflated.

Ben Amponsah had steepled his fingers and looked intently at Jake 'Well Jake...an interesting question that. I will ask you a question in return: would you be happy if your team were the newly crowned Champion's of Europe, I wonder? Would you be happy that your team have not one but two trophies to parade later today and that you pushed your rivals all the way to the end of the season? Would you be happy that your manager is young and dynamic and has already made two Champion's League finals on the trot? what do you think?'

Jake smiled: he got this game: 'Well I would be Ben. I think the fans are pretty ecstatic-they sang your name all night in the place that I watched the game. You know that Arsene Wenger is calling you a legend and that David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and many of the old Board queued up to praise you after the historic win?'

'I know all of that Jake but do you know what this Board had to say the night of the game?'

'No?' Jake was trying to guess what words of praise the Board would traditionally have come out with.

'They told me Jake, that they had always expected a team of this stature to win a competition like this-as if winning the Champion's League is the easiest thing in the world-and that I should now focus the team on winning the Premiership.....'

Jake had been visibly shocked at this revelation: shocked and angry and he had remembered the anger hanging in the awkward silence. Eric Marshall, the PR guy, shifted uncomfortably and made himself very small in the corner.

'The fact is that a manager needs to thrive on the support of his Chairman and his Board and feel that they will back him to the hilt and show their appreciation where it is due eh Jake? There are many other jobs going out there that a world class manager could go and do eh? Shall we go on Jake?' this said with more than a hint of malicious irony; he was obviously sending a message to the Board and Jake was more than happy to act as the foil for him to do this. He smiled the smile of a conspirator before posing his next:

'And do you miss Peter Hill-Wood, David Dein et al?'

Ben Amponsah had smiled even more wickedly at this.......

After the excitement and fulfillment of that day Jake had had to get back to his GCSEs, which seemed to have gone well: he had recovered much of his equilibrium since the Gunners had gone on their barnstorming run for the European Title. He was to carry on at school next term as a 6th Former studying French, English and Latin A-Levels (a cunning linguist as Gemma used to joke!). On the football front he had been concerned at yet more reports hinting at unrest between Ben Amponsah and his Board and there was even talk that the Arsenal Man was eyeing up his friend's job at Barcelona but things seemed to have calmed there.

And then his dad had surprised him with this Spanish holiday: they had come for 10 days at the beginning of the month and the sun drenched little streets of picturesque Sitges and the racier delights of nearby Barcelona were certainly having the best of effects on Jake who was getting quite a tan in spite of his freckles. His hair was now almost bleached white. The great thing was that his Dad had also paid for Gemma to come with so he would have some company and she had proved a most attentive companion. There was one little piece of England that Jake couldnt leave behind, however, and that was the Papers: he quickly found a Supermercado that sold The Independent and was thus able to keep up with all the transfer talk and goings on in the close season. This hadnt pleased Gemma of course, who had recently taken to being very touchy feely with Jake: strange.....

Jake glanced at his friend sleeping on her sunbed beside him and resolved to ask her what it was all about: she couldn't fancy him could she? He spread out his best cuttings from the previous week as well as todays sports pages, which had a full profile on his hero in it. There had been a lot of activity starting with the retirement of Alex Ferguson, who had been replaced at Manchester United by the well-liked Mexican Javier Aguirre. The 50 year old master tactician had cut his teeth both as a player and manager at Osasuna before turning the perennial under-achievers, Atletico Madrid into consistent Uefa Cup qualifiers. He came highly recommended but whether he would fit into the bear-pit of the Premiership remained to be seen: Rafa Benitez, after all, still hadn't managed to annex the Premiership trophy. Further manager moves saw Marcello Lippi return to the Continent from lowly Portsmouth and Ben Amponsah consolidate his place as one of only 4 'World Class' Managers. Who dreamt up these placements, Jake wondered? Amponsah had done well-but World Class? His stock had certainly risen as a result of the back-to-back Champion's League finals but he wasnt even in the Top 10 Hall of Fame managers of British teams.

There had been much activity, as always, in the transfer markets but Arsenal had stunned Europe at the end of July with the capture for a massive £45m of the powerhouse Spanish forward, Fernando Torres. Jake looked at last week's independent:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Arsenal capture of Torres completes forward line of most feared attack in Europe The Independent Tuesday 28th July 2009

Sam Wallace writes:

Arsenal's shock capture of the powerful forward Fernando Torres now completes a front line that will strike fear into defenses all over Europe...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jake smiled to himself and thought with a line up consisting of Henry, Tevez, Torres and Bendtner, goals would certainly not be the problem this season that they had at the beginning of last when Henry had been out for so long. What worried Jake was the problems at the back: first Stekelenburg, the reserve goalkeeper, and then Buffon had picked up serious injuries that would keep both out for at least a month. This left the very green, but undoubtedly talented, Kaspar Schmeichel to hold the fort for the early exchanges in the season. Would he be up to it Jake wondered? Hopefully he would, indeed, prove himself to be a chip off the old block and emulate his father, Peter. Jake looked at the Squad list he had culled from Arsenal.com:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> 1st in English Premier Division

| Pkd | Inf | Name | Position | Morale | Form | Con | Apps | Gls | Av Rat |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| GK | Wnt | Kasper Schmeichel | GK | Very Good | 7 | 95% | - | - | - |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| DR | | Micah Richards | D RC, DM | Very Good | 7-7-8-7-8 | 95% | - | - | - |

| DL | Wnt | Armand Traoré | D/WB L | Very Good | 7-7-7-7-6 | 95% | - | - | - |

| DC | | Kolo Touré | D RC | Very Good | 7-7-8-7-5 | 100% | - | - | - |

| DC | | William Gallas | D LC | Very Good | 7-8-7-7-7 | 98% | - | - | - |

| MR | PR | Aliaksandr Hleb | AM RC | Good | 6-7-7-7-7 | 98% | - | - | - |

| ML | | Sanli Tuncay | AM LC, F C | Very Good | 8-7-7-7-7 | 98% | - | - | - |

| MC | | Mahamadou Diarra | DM, M RC | Good | 7-8-7-7-6 | 97% | - | - | - |

| MC | PR | Wesley Sneijder | AM RLC | Good | 7-7-8-7-8 | 98% | - | - | - |

| FC | | Carlos Tevez | AM/F C | Very Good | 8-8-7-8-8 | 86% | - | - | - |

| FC | | Thierry Henry | ST | Very Good | 8-7-6-9-7 | 99% | - | - | - |

| S1 | Loa | Vito Mannone | GK | Good | 7-7-7 | 97% | - | - | - |

| S2 | | Philippe Senderos | D C | Very Good | 7-7-7-8-8 | 99% | - | - | - |

| S3 | | Gilberto Silva | DM | Very Good | 7-9-7-7-7 | 99% | - | - | - |

| S4 | | Theo Walcott | AM R, F C | Very Good | 6-6-7-10-7 | 94% | - | - | - |

| S5 | | Nicklas Bendtner | ST | Okay | 7-7-7-8-8 | 98% | - | - | - |

| - | Inj | Gianluigi Buffon | GK | Very Good | 6-6-7-8-7 | 36% | - | - | - |

| - | Inj | Denílson | DM | Very Good | 7-7-7-7-7 | 66% | - | - | - |

| - | | Fernando Torres | ST | Okay | - | 53% | - | - | - |

| - | | Gaël Clichy | D/WB L | Very Good | 6-7-8-7-7 | 97% | - | - | - |

| - | Wnt | Arturo Lupoli | ST | Okay | 5-8-6 | 92% | - | - | - |

| - | | Justin Hoyte | D RL | Very Good | 6-8-7-7-8 | 99% | - | - | - |

| - | Wnt | Alexandre Song | DM | Very Good | 6 | 91% | 1 | - | 6.00 |

| | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

It was a strong line up. Traore was the one to watch out for this season and was already being touted as a wonderkid in many sporting publications. His performances at the back end of last season were eloquent testament to his skills: he was lightning quick and brough real menace to the left flank in a way that Gael Clichy did not. The poor Frenchman could hardly get a look in now. The list of teams wooeing the young Senegalese left back was now getting absurd and Arsenal's proclamation that they were not about to sell or loan him to anyone did not stop a procession of clubs trying to secure his services. It had all got so much that 3 times in the last couple of weeks Traore had had to go to the Media to announce that he was very happy at Aresenal and didnt want to go anywhere. It didnt stop them trying though......

The addition of Diarra to the midfield was a welcome one-freeing Richards to play either back at right full-back or in the centre of defense, which was, as he never stopped saying, his preferred position. The young Italian Arturo Lupoli was also a player to watch out for according to the Indie and Alexandre Song was being chased by Newcastle: both players were out on season loans to Napoli and PSG respectively but Arsenal had reserved the right to recall them at any stage should the need arise. In the meantime the papers seemed to think that Arsenal were after every player from HSV's Klaas Jan Huntelaar to Sporting's Nilmar. As if a £50m outlay this season so far wasnt enough?

Jake slapped on some more sun cream: he had to use a very high factor on account of his fair skin but no mishaps on the sunburn front yet. The first game of the season was bringing the League Champion's to the Emirates but it was Arsenal who were the bookies favourites to win the title this season. Jake smiled into the Spanish sun: this was surely the season that they would reclaim what was rightfully theirs, the season to prove once and for all the genius of his hero, Ben Amponsah: Arsenal Manager..........

1 week later Jake was smiling broadly as he scanned the sunday papers on a balmy August morning. It wasn't even 11 yet and the temperature was already nudging past 20C: it had been a long, hot summer so far: one of the hottest on record but sweaty days out in the sun were the stuff of dreams for a young man like Jake-and besides his mind was still, somehow, in the sun drenched cobbles of little Sitges....ah how he had enjoyed the break. England seemed so dull by comparison.

what wasn't dull, however was the performance of his team in yesterday's opener against none other than the League Champion's. The paper's headlines summed it up:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> United brushed aside by Arsenal as Schmeichel shines The Independent on Sunday 16th August 2009

Arsenal 1 (Henry 11)

Manchester United 0

Sam Wallace writes:

It is a long hard road to the Premiership title as Manchester United found to their cost yesterday when they were made to look quite ordinary by an Arsenal side inspired by their young Danish Goalkeeper, Kaspar Schmeichel. A chip off the old block? Very possibly with any more performances like this: it's not often that a shimmering performance by the peerless Henry is overshadowed by one of his teammates-let alone the man between the posts. The manager must have hoped for more performances like this from his Italian stopper, Gigi Buffon, last season but if the 22 year old prodigy continues in this vein he may well also add 'keeping one of the world's best goalkeepers out of the team' to his belt. The irony is that Pat Rice, the Arsenal number 2, doesn't rate Schmeichel and had, at the beginning of the season, urged Amponsah to get rid of him: Amponsah is more likely to call for the Irishman's resignation first methinks...................... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes indeed, Jake mused, an inspired performance indeed and one to keep his mind far from the thought of school in 2 weeks, his 17th birthday in 3 and all the long trials of the season and year ahead......

Thanks SJ: will seek him out though not sure I need another striker right now

Sunday 13th September 2009

Jake was confused: he had come round on this warm September afternoon to Gemma's place in Camden to watch the Arsenal vs Fulham game and keep his new 'best mate' company at her behest. The game was going according to plan at half time with 2 stunning goals from 2 of Amponsah's new signings: first Diarra had picked up an astute pass from the deep-lying Tevez and danced around 2 Fulham defenders before burying a 25 yarder and sending the Arsenal faithful, himself and Gemma included, into raptures. It wasnt so much that this was his first goal for Arsenal but the manner in which the tough-tackling Senegalese midfielder had scored it: it was a goal that the suspended Henry, watching from the stands, would have been proud of. The Gunners Captain had been sent off in the 87th minute of the 2nd game of the season, away to Middlesborough, for elbowing the combative Boro right back, McMahon, in the face-a reaction-it must be said-borne out of frustration at the over-eager attentions of the Boro defence throughout the game. It hadn't mattered as, 3 minutes later, with a creditable draw against a surprisingly good Boro side looming, Sanli Tuncay had headed in a marvellous cross from the substitute Sneijder to snatch an excellent win. Now, in this London Derby, Rosicky was commanding the game from the centre, ably assisted by his enforcer, Diarra, and Arsenal were dictating the tempo. And then from a passing move that started in the Arsenal penalty box and which, inevitably, had the Czech playmaker, Rosicky at its fulcrum, Torres squeezed a tight shot in from the left side of the Fulham penalty area. 'Two nil to the Arsenal, two nil to the Arsenal!' was the chant that came rolling down the stands of the ageing Craven Cottage as the travelling Arsenal faithful gave vent to their support.

Arsenal had been on a roll: after the Boro game they had won the European Super Cup against a resilient Sampdoria but they had to do it on penalties after the game finished 1-1 after extra time. Once again this produced the now familiar lukewarm expressions of congratulations from the Board: it didn't matter, Amponsah was quickly acquiring cult-like status amongst the fans and what a start to the new season this had been! The next game was to be a much sterner test against Liverpool away (the fixture computer hadn't been kind to them Jake had noted). Once again Amponsah pulled a proverbial rabbit out of the hat by pairing Diarra with not Richards, who was back to playing at right back, but the young Brazilian, Denilson. He had a cracking game and his boundless energy and tackling inspired the whole team: he not only helped nullify and contain the Liverpool threat but weighed in with a goal himself, scoring a remarkeable 35 yard free-kick in only the 11th minute of the game. That was the only goal of a tense, tight affair that was not really one for the purists despite the new-look front line of Tevez and the hotly anticipated Torres-it was a game which, nonetheless, demonstrated the new versatility and toughness about Arsenal. Torres had looked bright but was coming back from a 4 week layoff after injuring his ankle in pre-season and so was understandably rusty-the main thing was that the Gunners returned from Fortress Anfield with a very creditable win.

The August Bank Holiday weekend had been a long hot weekend of International football, carnivals, barbeques and boozing: Jake had been developing a bit of a taste for it recently, something that had been commented on by both his Dad and Gemma and which he had discussed with Dr Drempetic: maybe it was just a reaction to all the tension of last term Jake had offered by way of an excuse. It was a half-hearted one at best as his Croatian shrink had been quick to point out. He had watched the Saturday evening World Cup Qualifier away to Slovenia half-cut as he had been out on Clapham Common all day with Gemma and some other friends and the inevitable illicit booze (in his case Cider and beer combined with blackcurrant juice). He could hardly remember the tube journey home with a supportive Gemma: he had vaguely remembered her getting a bit fresh with him as he drifted in and out of consciousness on the tube itself: a hand that was stroking something it shouldn't have been? England had won that game 1-0: another tight affair but it was good to see Walcott starting up front alongside Defoe. Rooney had been confirmed as an International exile by the England Manager, Steve McLaren, who cited irreconcilable differences for the talismanic strikers continuing exclusion: all very well whilst England topped their group, as they did after beating Greece at Wembley the following , but the vultures were already circling. The great thing about the game, as far as Jake was concerned, was the man of the match award and goal scored by the Arsenal wonderkid Walcott, who was really growing into his strikers role for the country: shame there was no room for him to play there for the Gunners, Jake had mused. He would have to content himself with the right wing role for his club.

It had been his 17th birthday the following Sunday providing him with another excuse to get completely wasted on the Saturday night. His Dad had bought him some really cool clothes from H&M so he felt a million dollars when he had tripped off with Gemma, Mark and a few others at the start of the evening: they all had their fake IDs with them so were going to chance their arms in a few bars/pubs. Jake had, as usual, completely overdone it and had been violently sick once more by 10.30pm and once again it was his guardian Angel, Gemma who had escorted him home and put him to bed. He was a bit shocked to wake naked and hungover the next morning to find Gemma asleep next to him but she hadn't exactly been forthcoming about what had transpired to get him to that pass.

Arsenal had duly hammered Sampdoria, who were also in their Champion's League Group, 4-0 at the Emirates mid-week, with Tevez particularly rampant. He had weighed in with two goals and Henry one when Amponsah decided to give Torres a run out on the 60th minute. Torres duly repaid his new manager's faith with a crisply taken strike from just outside the 6 yard box: it was his first ever goal for the club and hinted at many more to come: Jake had never felt so happy.

But now here he was at Gemma's again trying to deal with not one but 2 things that were utterly confusing him: Andy Gray was intoning the embodiment of the first:

'I cannot believe this performance Martin: up until now the young Dane has been Arsenal's best perforner: he's kept 4 clean sheets out of 6 and picked up a man of the match award in that game against United: he had seemed the finished article but he's had a stinker here!'

'Absolutely Andy: Arsenal were coasting and 2 howlers from Schmeichel have gifted a draw to Fulham'

'I did say that the lad's looked jittery all game though Martin-we should remember that he's only 22'

So Arsenal, or rather, Schmeichel, had snatched a draw from the jaws of a victory with a very-untypical performance from the brilliant young Dane but this had then been compounded by Gemma's subsequent brazen attempt to snog him right there on her parents sofa! Jake had been utterly bewildered:

'Gem! What are you doing? Put them away! What the f**k are you playing at? Jesus!'

Gemma was buttoning up the blouse that she had undone in the grip of some passion that Jake couldnt fathom. She wiped a tear from her eye.

'Is it me Jake? I have done everything to get you to fancy me-on holiday, here-everything. I have even got into football and Arsenal and that man, Ben Amponsah, for you! But nothing! I am wondering now whether you are gay?'

'Gemma, Gemma. I, I don't really know what I am' Jake was hesitant 'It's not-I, God I don't know what I am. Does it matter? I thought you were my friend-I didnt know you wanted me to shag you!' Jake reached out a hand to console his friend, for whom now, embarrassment was beginning to be the dominant emotion. She slapped it away angrily

'You know what they are calling me at School?'

'No Gem-what?' said Jake miserably

'Your fag hag! Is that all I am to you? Some pitiful fag-hag?'

'Gem I've only just turned 17: how can I know what I am? All I know is that I love my Dad, my Team, Ben Amponsah-'

'I knew it-he's the only one you're into!' Gemma exploded 'And there's no way I am even going to get a look in whilst that man is your obsession!' Gemma was working herself up into a rage now 'Go on-get out. You've met the man: why don't you go hang out with him-get out, go on GET OUT!' and she grabbed him, hauling him, protesting, from her house and slammed the door behind him.

Jake was utterly shattered: he sat on her door and cried: how had this friendship, that had come to mean so much to him suddenly come to this?

Was his obsession with Ben Amponsah so transparent, what was he? All these questions the disconsolate lad asked himself as he cried, suddenly feeling every bit the young boy rather than the young man that he should have been becoming: it had been a brilliant start to the season for Arsenal but the exact opposite for one of its most ardent young fans......

• 2 weeks later...

Monday 28th September 2009: the bus on the way to school 0830hrs

Jake was sitting alone as was the way of things after his spectacular falling out with Gemma: there was noone accompanying him on the top deck of the bus as most of the so-called 'friends' that he had been hanging out with had actually been part of Gemma's gang and they had deserted him when she did. It was a lonely existence but Jake was talking all of it in his stride since he was totally focussed now on what was going on at the Emirates. Some were calling him obsessive but he shrugged off such criticisms-let them mock! He was now totally committed to Ben Amponsah and his Arsenal Team and would pour all his youthful energy into keeping a watchful eye on their ongoing fortunes.

Quite often he would be bullied on the bus: that was the other thing that Gemma had taken; protection. He had even been recently subjected to an episode of 'Happy Slapping' when some thugs from the football Team (ironically) had had their way with him and through the slaps and the animal-like baying from the pupils of the Upper 6th Form he had glimpsed his erstwhile friend at the back of the bus. Was that a twinge of regret on her face he had wondered through his tears?

No matter: they could all rot as far as he was concerned. This morning had been mercifully quiet so he had taken the opportunity to read an article in the Sports section of the Guardian: it was a profile of the Arsenal Chairman amazingly. Arsenal were doing so well that they had decided to profile not Ben Amponsah, who had been much reported on already, but that man Dan Saunders! Jake scanned the article with a feeling bordering on disgust:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The Monday Sports Profile By The Award winning Guardian Chief Sports Writer: Steven Downs

It was with some trepidation that I was shown into Dan Saunders's grand office deep in the heart of the mighty Emirates Stadium. Trepidation? There is a feeling of awe that clings to this stadium: it intimidates much in the way an Old Trafford or a Nou Camp does and the current crop of Arsenal players led by their talented young manager are fully intent on making the whole of the Premiership fear them. Fear. That is an interesting word Saunders tells me as we greet: had he read my mind? Here is a man, who has literally grown fat on the proceeds of his property business, which he had run like a personal fiefdom and he was starting the conversation by talking about fear-interesting.

I decide to play it direct and ask him straight: what about the persistent rumours that he is trying to frighten Amponsah from the club? And in that larger than life bear-like manner of his he roars with laughter and shakes his head. Dan Saunders is a corpulent, astute, business man from Islington, who had ruled his property empire with fear so why not Arsenal? Another denial another roar of laughter: maybe change your defensive reaction, Dan, I had thought-it's getting boring.

Let's move this conversation to safer ground I had thought, like Arsenal's coruscating start to the season. Since the unfortunate away draw at Fulham, the Gunners had brushed aside Villa at home and then overpowered Bolton away either side of a 2-1 away win at Feyenoord to cement their place not only at the top of their Champion's League Group but also the top of the Premiership. They were simply flying Saunders had agreed grinning and he had gone onto lavish particular praise on the powerhouse Spanish Striker, Fernando Torres, who had scored 4 goals in 4 starts. What with Tevez weighing in with 4 of his own in 7 starts and a number of others -players contributing from the midfield, the Gunners were in particularly good shape. There was also Thierry Henry of course, who is a legend all over the world. It was hard to deny the Chairman's enthusiasm and with the club in a healthy financial position (they were recently valued as the World's 2nd richest club after Barcelona and above Manchester United and Real Madrid in 3rd and 4th places respectively) and Amponsah making some very astute signings in the transfer market, surely the Board could have been more supportive of the Arsenal Manager with some of their recent pronunciations after important domestic and European Cup Victories? This question was met with a hard look and a complete lack of the earlier bonhomie. Saunders had leant forward and fixed me with a stare. Arsenal were not going to put up with 2nd or 3rd best anymore he had growled (ever more bear-like): it simply wouldnt do to be coming 3rd in the league and the Board would make sure that these high standards that had been set would be followed to the letter by not only Amponsah but the whole of the club. Fair enough I had remembered saying but surely they could have offered some unreserved praise for Amponsah's historic Champion's League win? This had Saunders shifting about uncomfortably: had I hit a raw nerve? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'I'll f*****g bet it did!' Jake exclaimed and then put his head back down when he say various boys eyeing him up askance-the last thing he wanted, in light of recent events, was to draw any attention to himself. But it was true the Arsenal team were simply on fire and, but for the aberration at Fulham, would have a 100% win record. As it was this represented Arsenal's best start for some 6 years and with 2 home games against Newcastle and Charlton beckoning this run was set fair to continue. Jake turned the page and scanned the table. Arsenal were in a very strong position though it was early days:

| 1st | | Arsenal | | 6 | 5 | 1 | 0 | 9 | 3 | +6 | 16 |

| 2nd | | West Ham | | 7 | 4 | 0 | 3 | 11 | 6 | +5 | 12 |

| 3rd | | Blackburn | | 6 | 3 | 3 | 0 | 8 | 3 | +5 | 12 |

| 4th | | Man Utd | | 7 | 4 | 0 | 3 | 12 | 9 | +3 | 12 |

| 5th | | Charlton | | 7 | 4 | 0 | 3 | 7 | 7 | 0 | 12 |

| 6th | | Tottenham | | 6 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 9 | 4 | +5 | 11 |

| 7th | | Fulham | | 7 | 3 | 2 | 2 | 6 | 7 | -1 | 11 |

| 8th | | Portsmouth | | 7 | 2 | 4 | 1 | 10 | 6 | +4 | 10 |

| 9th | | Chelsea | | 6 | 3 | 1 | 2 | 7 | 5 | +2 | 10 |

| 10th | | Newcastle | | 6 | 2 | 3 | 1 | 6 | 2 | +4 | 9 |

| 11th | | Sunderland | | 7 | 2 | 3 | 2 | 7 | 7 | 0 | 9 |

| 12th | | Man City | | 6 | 3 | 0 | 3 | 6 | 6 | 0 | 9 |

| 13th | | Aston Villa | | 6 | 2 | 2 | 2 | 10 | 10 | 0 | 8 |

| 14th | | Everton | | 7 | 2 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 8 | -3 | 8 |

| 15th | | Liverpool | | 6 | 2 | 0 | 4 | 7 | 11 | -4 | 6 |

| 16th | | Sheff Utd | | 6 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 1 | 4 | -3 | 5 |

| 17th | | Middlesbrough | | 6 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 9 | -4 | 5 |

| 18th | | Reading | | 7 | 1 | 2 | 4 | 5 | 10 | -5 | 5 |

| 19th | | Bolton | | 7 | 1 | 2 | 4 | 4 | 11 | -7 | 5 |

| 20th | | West Brom | | 7 | 0 | 3 | 4 | 4 | 11 | -7 | 3 |

</pre>

Yes a game in hand on their nearest challengers and already 4 points to the good. The shock thus far had been the Champion's 3 defeats in 7 games: the United fans were already getting restless with the new regime of Javier Aguirre: The Red Devils were simply not very convincing at the moment. Chelsea had also been beaten twice and as for Liverpool...they had lost 4 out of their first 6 games-a shocker but all good for the Arsenal, Jake thought with a smile.

He read on:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> ..........so I broached the subject of the aquad and asked whether Amponsah intended to bring Gianluigi Buffon straight back into the team now that he was almost fully recovered from the hip injury that had ruled him out of the team for 2 months. Wasn't it true that Schmeichel had actually been a far more effective custodian of the goalmouth thus far this season when compared to Buffon's stuttering form of last. That was a matter for the manager was the terse reply but there was something in the manner in which Saunders spoke that suggested that he might not be in concert with Amponsah on this. The accepted wisdom is that the Italian no 1 will walk straight back into the team but there was no doubt that the young Dane had been superb whilst filling in: he had made his father very proud..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No doubt thought Jake. He didn't like to 2nd guess Amponsah but he imagined that Buffon wouldnt come straight in quite yet: Schmeichel was simply playing too well: Amponsah would probably try Buffon in a couple of reserve games first and then bring him back. But it wasnt just the Dane that was catching the eye: the defensive unit remained very solid and was extremely dangerous down the flanks from where so much of the Arsenal threat came. Here patrolled the powerful defender Micah Richards and the fleet footed wonderkid Armand Traore-forward of them Tuncay and Walcott and there was much more steel now in the midfield with Mahamadou Diarra joining a rejuvenated Rosicky in the centre. Could it get much better?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> .......and so it was time to take my leave of the bear in his gilded lair. It had been an interesting interview and one which spoke volumes about the ruthless winning machine that Arsenal have become: maybe-just maybe, there is a link between the team's ethos, Amponsah and his supposed nemesis, Dan Saunders-maybe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was food for thought and made Jake, for the first time, consider the possibility that the Arsenal Chairman may not have been the bogey man of his nightmares after all.............

Wednesday 30th Sept 2009 2130hrs Outside the Arsenal Dressing Room

'Fernando! Fernando! Dan Brown, Sky Sports-can I have a word!' This was shouted above the gaggle of reporters all wanting a piece of the Spanish scoring sensation.

'Yes of course-please, questions one at a time!' Torres was struggling to make himself heard above the hubbub. He spoke perfect English with a slight Spanish accent, courtesy of his Anglophile Spanish sweetheart, Olalla, who had insisted on teaching him English herself many years ago.

'Fernando, Arsenal absolutely murdered Newcastle out there. 4 nil! Did you ever think that the Premiership would be this easy?'

'There is nothing easy about the Premiership Dan.'

'True but you carved Newcastle apart: there were times in that game that they didnt know where to expect the next attack from. Would you say that Ben Amponsah has got you playing Total Football?'

'It is very true we play a very attacking style here with both our wingers, Sanli and Theo, able to double up as strikers. As you saw Sanli scored the first goal tonight: that is what gives us the attacking edge-and when you have a player with the creative genius of Tomas in the centre and Henry up front with Carlos it is no wonder that we are so strong no?'

'Yes tell us about Rosicky? He seems to be a new player this season: 3 goals in 7 appearances-he's now equalled his tally from the whole of last season? Is Amponsah expecting great things from the Czech this season?'

'The boss is expecting great things from all of us Dan'

'Of course of course. And what is it like playing for a manager like Amponsah? Some are already saying that he may be one of the greatest young British managers this country's ever seen.'

'Well he wouldn't like to hear you talking about that. We have one major priority this season and that is to win the Premiership-let's see what else follows eh?'

'Fair enough Fernando but you are already 6 points clear of Chelsea and unbeaten at the moment so it's been a dream start eh?'

'True but this season is-how you say? A marathon not a sprint?'

'That's the one. Everyone is also raving about your performances and how well you have fitted in to the Arsenal frontline. What do you think about the rotation policy with Carlos Tevez?'

'I will play when the boss wants me to play-it is as simple as that.'

'Yes but you have played 7 times, 3 as a sub and scored 5 goals-that is a hell of a record: shouldn't you be first choice alongside Henry?'

'I am just happy to be playing for Arsenal Dan: if the boss wants to gently ease me into the League that is fine: Carlos has an excellent record so far also with 4 goals in 8.'

'So you are counting then Fernando?'

'Haha-if you like, yes.'

'Now talk us through your goal, which is surely a candidate for goal of the season even at this early stage-it was simply breathtaking.'

'Er ok. well as you know I had only just come on to the pitch in place of Titi and after 10 minutes I was fed the ball by San deep in our half-'

'Deep in your half! Tuncay was almost at your left corner flag! You were half way between your penalty box and the centre circle-go on here's the replay'

'Yes I picked the ball up with 3 defenders on their side of me and ran at them down the left wing'

'A bit like Henry does eh Fernando?' Said Brown winking heavily

Torres was smiling 'Yes just like that, Dan-just like that. I beat the immediate defender easily-who was this?'

'Taylor I think'

'Ok and then drove into the penalty box from the left and let fly from just inside it!'

'It was a hell of a goal Fernando-from way out wide. The run and shot reminded me a little of Marco Van Basten in his heydey. You had the press corps on their feet. Here's Tomas's bottle of Champagne-would you present it to him as NatWest Man of the Match-well done Fernando: you are an asset to our league'

'Gracias Senor' And with these words of praise ringing in his ears the handsome Spaniard was gone.

'Jake Jake-look at this article!' Sebastian Patterson was in excitable mood that monday morning as he plonked the article that he had been reading in front of Jake's breakfast.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Who Sold Carlos Vela? The Daily Mirror Monday 19th October 2009

Simon Barnes writes:

Despite Arsenal's continuing success at domestic level there are those at the Emirates who are prepared to ask why it is that Ben Amponsah, the current Gunners supremo, was so quick to ditch some of Wenger's most promising youths. Take Carlos Vela, for instance, the highly rated young Mexican who had been farmed out on loan to Salamanca when Amponsah took over, due to complications with securing a work permit for such a young player.

It seems that either Amponsah hadn't done his homework properly or was after a quick buck as he sold him to Chelsea, of all teams, for only £4.1m almost immediately on taking the helm. Clearly Mourinho could see something in the player that Amponsah couldn't or wouldn't. Two unsuccessful seasons at Chelsea followed for Vela plus a meaningless loan spell at Reading last season where he returned the paltry figure of 1 goal in 7 appearances before he was rescued from his British hell by Valencia. The Spanish giants were prepared to spend £10m on an unproven 20 year old despite his lack of goals and their faith seems to have been rewarded by 3 goals in 4 starts.

There are some who say that Amponsah made a big mistake in selling the Mexican as the wonderkid is already being touted as the next Lionel Messi. Have your say and text your opinion to us.

Was Amponsah too hasty in selling wonderkid Carlos Vela? Text 'Yes' or 'No' to 81100 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sebastian was smiling broadly.

Jake was tired: he had seemed quite worn out of late as he was spending more and more time poring over Arsenal's wondrous exploits in League and cup but he humoured his Dad nonetheless: it seemed that with the Gunners doing so well some journos were now beginning to have a pop at Amponsah in that age-old British Press tradition of building people up only to then bring them down.

'Dad this is pretty meaningless stuff to be honest: I am not sure that I have even heard of this Vela guy? You should be much more interested in articles like this in a quality paper' and now it was Jake's turn to smile as he thrust the Independent's sports section in front of his father.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Peerless Henry inspires battling Arsenal at Fratton Park Thriller The Independent Monday 19th October 2009

Portsmouth 2 (Taylor 27, Lualua 53)

Arsenal 4 (Henry 18, 21, 84, Tevez 58)

Top of the Table:

| 1st | | Arsenal | | 8 | 7 | 1 | 0 | 17 | 5 | +12 | 22 |

| 2nd | | Blackburn | | 9 | 5 | 3 | 1 | 11 | 6 | +5 | 18 |

| 3rd | | Chelsea | | 8 | 5 | 1 | 2 | 12 | 5 | +7 | 16 |

| 4th | | Man City | | 9 | 5 | 1 | 3 | 11 | 7 | +4 | 16 |

| 5th | | West Ham | | 9 | 5 | 0 | 4 | 12 | 8 | +4 | 15 |

</pre>

If anyone doubted Arsenal's battling qualities they only needed to be at Fratton Park yesterday to have those doubts not so much wiped clean but positively washed away in a tidal wave of attacking football with Henry at its crest........... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jake smiled through his tiredness 'Now that's what we are talking about Dad....'

Thanks SJ

Right everyone who is reading this story I have some bad news: unfortunately my Arsenal game has been hit with the seemingly unsolvable 'Cannot Load Save Game' error. Have been on the forums and there is apparently no fix for this extremely irritating bug. Moreover SI Games seem to be more intent on blaming people's hardware and saving habits than actually trying to sort the problem

1st the good news: I was backing up 3 different versions of this game and the next most recent is only 1 month old in realtime.

The bad news? This save game is almost 4 months old in game terms so no Torres and no barnstorming run with only 1 draw and 7 wins out of 8 games.

I will try and recapture Torres and hope to emulate my feats in the other game (and now have my game set to autosave to 3 different files every week) but please bear with me as I try and get back to a similar position

Sorry about this...I am most annoyed icon_mad.gif

That's too bad Mamba - and here I'd just got off my rear to read some of the other stories around here. This is excellent stuff, really like the style, although I do worr a bit abot that Jake lad.

Mind you his Dad is little better, I could be imagining it but he seems to have changed his name from Matthew to Sebastian sometime between August and November 2008 icon_wink.gif

icon_redface.gif oops-well spotted Flip-just like me to make a howling continuity error like that eh? Or.....maybe he is one of those people who go by 2 names where 1 is not used as much (like my bro who is Victor Leslie Amponsah!)

I hear you all sniggering but am thinking i might concoct an amusing little back story around this-fact is getting plaudits from a story writing legend such as yourself Flip is good enough icon_cool.gif

Authors Note: progress is slow on the reconstituted game as I am now stuck in the 2nd match trying to defeat Boro away (something that was achieved with ease in the corrupted version-sigh. Will keep you all posted.......

• 2 weeks later...

Later that day Jake was poring over the weekends sports sections: he tended to pick up the Mirror, Sun and the Times as well as his own beloved Indie as these papers had the best sports writers by far. His Dad had had a word with him last week stating that he was worried about Jake's increasing penchant for locking himself away and combing through numerous sports websites and newspaper cuttings for half the night. It would be nice, Seb had stated, for them to actually go out and spend some quality time together. Stung, Jake had reacted badly, shouting at his Dad and using his actual christian name (something he only did when he was upset)

'At least I'm not going out sniffing glue or getting into knife fights Matt!!' He had screamed slamming the door. All his Dad was able to say was something about either calling him Dad or Seb, the name he preferred to go by.

Never mind, Jake had thought: he shouldn't tease his good natured Dad like that-everyone knew that he was Sebastian. Now what was this article he had seen in the Mirror:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Mirror Squad Watch Monday 19th October 2009

Arsenal: It has been reported that Gunners Manager Ben Amponsah was less than pleased with a newspaper article in yesterday's Sun stating that Alexandre Song wants 1st Team football and asking for a move away from the Emirates if Amponsah couldn't guarantee it.

Amponsah has stated that Song is a Squad player at Arsenal and will have to be patient and though he did admit that it could be frustrating to be constantly outside the 1st Team he has said that, at the moment he must accept that he is back up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting, thought Jake: the fact that the undoubtedly talented Song was behind Diarra, Silva, Denilson and even Micah Richards for the defensive midfield position made any future prospects somewhat dim. If he was going to second guess his hero he would put Song into the shop window by playing him in the forthcoming Carling Cup game against Championship high-flyers, Carlisle, then get him sold. Jake liked this new exercise and he was doing a better job of imagining what Amponsah would do than many of the Sports Journalists that he liked to read so much. Next up Carlisle: a game for the understudies, then Blackburn at home: bring it on........

Saturday 24th October 2009 Emirates Stadium

Jake had an uneasy feeling about this game and struggled to stay upbeat in spite of the triumphalism from the baying Arsenal crowd. The truth was that Blackburn had been woeful-at least until half time-and it was a wonder, frankly, that the Gunners were not winning by more than the slender 1-0 scoreline. He had relented and made up with his Dad during the week, as the two of them celebrated the mid-week evening Carling Cup victory over Carlisle and they had subsequently agreed to come and watch this game together since it had been a while. The Carlisle Cup tie had been a game for the 'Understudies' and they had risen to the task with Walcott and Bendtner both scoring and emphasising a point to their manager. It was strange that after doing so well last season they both should now find themselves on the fringes of the current 1st Team.

Jake glanced down at Amponsah's programme notes:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> We are on a roll now and it is important that the Team stays focused. I know that there are those within the squad who feel they are on the fringes: players who did extremely well for us last season. All I will say is be patient: your time will come.

For the moment I am extremely pleased with the way players like Renato Augusto have performed so far this season. Some thought I had taken leave of my senses when I sold the highly promising Wesley Sneijder to Real Madrid for £20m just before the transfer window shut but to be honest I had had my eyes on Renato for some time already. Ever since my Spanish scout, Jose Luis Albiol told me about him in fact. He is a very similar player to Sneijder with one major difference: he is far more consistent. He was a shining light for Sporting Lisbon for 2 seasons and was just the type of player that I wanted as, like Wesley, he can play all along the midfield. His results so far speak for themselves: 3 assists, 1 goal and 2 man of the match awards in just 9 appearances: not bad for a 21 year old Brazilian boy no one had heard of eh? If I sound like I am gloating it is probably because I am: we have real competition for all positions in the squad now and a young hungry team that is making me proud every week.

The key now is to keep winning and to focus: I tell the players every day that results dont just happen by themselves: they must make them happen. We play Blackburn today: a team that is not to be underestimated.

Thanks for your support </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And yet....it was deep into the 2nd half and the game had swung away from Arsenal. All the early pressure had evaporated and there was still only 1 goal seperating the teams: Gilberto Silva's header from a raking Henry free kick 10 minutes before half time. It was the influential Brazilian midfielder's first goal of the season and the wild celebrations on the pitch were mirrored in the stands. Friedel had had to perform heroics in the 1st half, saving efforts from Henry and Augusto and there was even a legitimate Arsenal penalty shout not long after the 1st goal.

However, it seemed like a different Blackburn team that turned up for the second half. The first half version had mustered only 1 shot on goal: this one was intent on spoiling the party. They harried, chased and fouled all over the pitch-it might not have been pretty but it was disrupting the Gunners flow.

As if by way of recognition a clearly agitated Ben Amponsah sent on Tevez for Torres on the 70th minute.

'We need a 2nd goal Dad' Jake had said worriedly to his father at the time.

'I know son, I know' came the equally terse response.

No goals for Arsenal came, however and it was Blackburn who were making all the running in the last 10 minutes. As if to underline this point Mike Newell (never a shrinking violet when it came to gung ho tactics) changed Blackburn to a 4-2-4 formation: he was really going for that equaliser. Jake had looked for a response from Amponsah: he must have noticed? Why weren't the Gunners switching to a more defensive counter-attacking plan? Jake peered down from the Stands at Ben, who turned to look at him at just that moment and seemed to mouth the words 'We dont play defensive at home'. Jake was an expert lip reader, courtesy of a cousin who was deaf, so he was pretty sure he'd read Amponsah correctly. The fact that the Arsenal manager followed these words with a wink seemed to bear this out.

And then disaster: in the final minutes of normal time came a raking move from the centre out to Morten Gamst Pederson lurking deep on Blackburn's left who was able to power a bullet header past the despairing Buffon. It was a sickening blow and one that utterly silenced the travelling faithful.

It was a very subdued set of Arsenal fans who trooped out of the Stadium afterwards-could their luck have changed?

Jake's sense of foreboding increased that night when he watched Ben Amponsah ranting about the state of the referreeing and declaring that Chris Foy's decision not to give the penalty in the 1st half had cost his team the match. It was a performance to match anything that Keegan had ever uttered-all wide eyed bluster and finger pointing.

The next day's sports headlines said it all:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> TheIndependent on Sunday 25th October 2009

Amponsah Rant Earns a Touchline Ban Sam Wallace writes

Arsenal 1 (Gilberto Silver 34 mins)

Blackburn 1 (Morten Gamst Pederson 87 mins)

Ben Amponsah's unsporting and furious post-match rant against ref Chris Foy has earned an instant response from the FA who have handed him a 1 match touchline ban. Sources at the Emirates have said that the recent thawing in relations with Dan Saunders and the Board are back in deep freeze with the Arsenal Chairman being particularly incensed.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It didnt look good, Jake thought-it didn't look good at all.........

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday 1st November 2009 Radio 5 Live Broadcast

'Well if he's bothered by this touchline ban David he certainly doesnt look it does he? Cool as a cucumber up in the stands there!'

'You're absolutely right Alan but can you blame him? His team have come here on the back of a fantastic 4 nil drubbing of Wolfsburg in the Champion's League and they are at it again dishing out the same treatment to Manchester City'

'In case you've just switched on this is Five Live and I'm Alan Green reporting with David Pleat on the City/Arsenal Sunday lunchtime game: we're into the 70th minute and Carlos Tevez has just scored Arsenal's 3rd goal to give them an emphatic lead-well they are quite simply playing exhilirating stuff here.'

'Absolutely Alan: a joy to watch. After the Gilberto goal to open the account they took their foot off the gas a bit to allow City back in but that seemed to sting them into action and they have-well they have just had the hammer down ever since.'

'Henry has once again been the architect, scoring the Gunners' second but here they come again with the Frenchman-whoa! Maybe that's the only way to stop him. Bad foul by Svensson: he upended him totally there.'

'An industrial challenge you might say Alan. Here comes Renato Augusto with the free kick: he has been absolutely superb today-'

'Him and Walcott and Traore and Toure-the list is endless. Augusto with the free kick about 20 yards out: he's played a short ball to Denilson to his right-Denilson fires in a shot AND SCORES A WONDERFUL GOAL! IT'S 4-1 TO THE GUNNERS! Amazing David and look at Amponsah: he's permitting himself a smile up there in the Stands.'

'Yes it makes you wonder what they will be capable of when he returns to the dugout eh if this is what they do with him absent?'

'What a wonderful goal: it was played by Augusto to his right allowing Denilson to bypass the wall-superb! You have to say they have been extremely well organised after a somewhat shaky start when Gallas and Toure appeared to get mixed up with their marking of Sturridge.'

'Indeed and Pat Rice's introduction of Tevez at half time was very timely as he has scored and looked extremely lively himself. He plays a free role like Henry, which gives the opposition something else to think about: a clear difference from when Torres is on as he is the target man and further forward. Torres had a frustrating game today. Anyway.....Man City are bringing on a sub: Kaspar Bogelund to replace the innefective Wright-Phillips who wasn't able to influence things for his first club against his former club: disappointing..........'

(10 minutes later)

'........Man City come forward. Nice interception by Denilson-he really has been superb since coming on for Gilberto: he has been all over the park, chasing, disrupting, tackling: a masterclass in the art of defensive midfield play. Denilson plays a pinpoint pass to Henry who back tracks and surely is being fouled by Onuoha-yes a foul'

'And in a dangerous position you have to say: this is surely Henry or Augusto territory Alan?'

'Well it's Henry standing over the ball so I guess he'll take it: it's just on the edge of the D. The wall is set and here comes Henry and LIFTS IT UP AND OVER THE WALL TO SCORE ARSENAL'S FIFTH! AN ABSOLUTELY SUPERB FREE KICK: IT'S THE ICING ON THE CAKE. Men against boys! Man City 1 Arsenal 5 and that is surely it!'

'Absolutely brilliant: that's why he is a legend the world over. Amponsah's smiling again look Alan-and well he might: his team under the guidance of Pat Rice have been simply breathtaking. Unbeaten in the League-8 points clear already: can they be stopped? That's what everyone will be asking-can they be stopped?'

'Well Spurs will want to say that they can David-the Gunners meet them in the Carling Cup on Wednesday at the Lane and then there is the small matter of a return meet at the Emirates next Sunday: clash of the Titans? Remember Spurs were level on points at the end of last season and will fancy it.'

'I wouldn't bet against Arsenal in this sort of form Alan-I wouldn't bet against them at all.........'

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday 14th November 2009

Goodison Park, Everton 90th Minute

The seething, baying crowd howled and whistled for the end: it was like some ravening beast that had tasted the blood of its hapless prey and was preparing to deliver the death blow. 35,000 scousers scented the blood of Arsenal, the previously unbeaten Champions presumptive and the Gunners were on the ropes. They were 3-2 down at the end of the most exciting game so far that season and it was the 90th minute......

A tale of 2 managers? Aidy Boothroyd in the Everton Technical area was a man in constant motion: he paced, cajoled, bellowed and gesticulated at his players: The Toffees were performing above all expectation having only just been promoted at the 1st attempt back to the big time. They had thus far, under the imaginative leadership of Boothroyd, only been beaten once away to Man City and were looking good for their 4th place. Aidy Boothroyd could almost taste it: he wanted Arsenal's scalp. The Arsenal Manager, by contrast, was deep in contemplation in that 90th minute. Where had it gone wrong? He was mentally already planning the next game: an Away Champion's League fixture at Ibrox-this fixture was history and frankly he was secretly rather pleased to be getting the monkey that was their unbeaten tag off his back....

And yet..and yet he couldn't help wondering whether the bubble hadn't burst for his Team. They were on one of the best runs for years-no one could remember anything quite like it since the glory days of Arsene Wenger's 'Invincibles'. Played 10, won 9, drawn 1: an unprecedented run that saw them running away with the Championship in November. Betmakers were already closing the book on them capturing the title. But then Spurs had struck: yes it was in the Carling Cup-a trophy that the Board couldnt care less about but which was, nonetheless, theirs to defend. They had gone to the hated White Hart Lane buoyant and Amponsah had played a relatively strong team, only resting some key defenders like Richards, Gallas and Traore as well as a Denilson, Hleb and Torres. In came more than adequate replacements in the person of Senderos, Clichy, Hoyte, Walcott, Song and Bendtner. A win was expected but Spurs, who had amassed the same number of points as Arsenal last season and only ceding 2nd spot on goal difference, had very different ideas. They fielded a full strength team and came at Arsenal with all the hostility that might be expected from this North London clash. It was still 0-0 at the end of the 90 minutes with Spurs shading the chances but Martin Petrov silenced the vocal travelling support with a crisply taken finish in the 6th minute of Extra Time. What had worried Amponsah the most was the way that the fight went from his team: they never looked like pulling one back after this blow to their prestige. 'There had better not be any repeat of this surrender at Everton!' he had raged at the downcast players afterwards: it was not like him to administer the hairdryer treatment but he felt the players needed it to stop any malaise from setting in.

And here they were losing in the 90th minute...he couldn't really blame the players: this was an extremely feisty Everton Team that had made Goodison Park a fortress this season with their bristling power play. His boys had fought like wildcats; Torres and Tevez in particular had struck fear into the opposition defenders whenever either had the ball in the 1st half. Tevex had seen little of it but when he did he made his passes to his strike partner tell such that they went in at the break with the scores tied at 2-2. Traore had been given a torrid time by the Toffees right winger, Leon Osman so Amponsah hauled him off with sharp words ringing in the youngster's ears about his insipid performance. Gallas shifted to the left to shore it up and in came Senderos at centre back. Inexplicably Aidy Boothroyd was having his own rush of blood to the head and decided to withdraw his lively young striker Scott Spencer, who had scored both Everton goals and move Osman up to centre forward alongside the dangerous Anichebe. Was he injured? He looked ok...the Everton fans and Amponsah were bewildered but noone was thinking of that now for Anichebe had put the Toffees 3-2 up in the 53rd and after that the gritty Northern team had done a good job in containing the Arsenal threat. The introduction of Walcott and Denilson for Augusto and Silva had not changed a thing and so it was only right and proper to look to the future. This game was lost....

As Amponsah prepared to swallow his disappointment and as the seconds died, Tuncay fed an incisive through ball to Tevez on the left. It looked like an innocuous enough position: no danger: Tevez was 40 yards from goal, out on the wing and had 2 defenders immediately goal-side of him. Then it happened: in an instant the Argentine turned and pirhouetted like a ballet dancer such that the 2 defenders that were gaurding him were suddenly bypassed. They could only watch and admire as Tevez bore down on goal at speed. Out came the Scottish goalie, Ian Turner: he was the Toffees' last hope. However he might as well not have been in the goal at all as the Argentinian struck from the corner of the 6 yard box and simply passed the ball around him-up and around in into the far right corner.

Pandemonium! In the stands which held the travelling faithful, in the Patterson household where Jake once more danced a jig of sheer delight with his father and friends clustered around the shiny digital radio. In the Arsenal technical area where players and staff alike hugged and danced for joy. And there was Amponsah shouting 'yes!' repeatedly and punching the air.

Around the radio Johnathan Pearce was shouting:

'AND THAT'S WHY THEY WILL BE CROWNED CHAMPION'S! WHAT A GOAL! WHHHAAAAAT A GOAL!'

His words summed up the result Jake thought, through his tears of delight-what a goal, what a team, what a manager!

Thanks SJ-good to know that you're still reading pal icon_wink.gif

Thursday November 26th 2009 at Jake's House, Islington

Jake was depressed and well he might be. The headlines screamed it all:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Brave Arsenal Finally Lose at the Bridge of Sighs The Independent Thursday 26th November 2009

Chelsea 1 (Lampard 66)

Arsenal 0

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Top of the Premiership Table Nov 26th

| 1st | | Arsenal | | 13 | 10 | 2 | 1 | 34 | 11 | +23 | 32 |

| 2nd | | Newcastle | | 15 | 7 | 4 | 4 | 19 | 14 | +5 | 25 |

| 3rd | | Chelsea | | 13 | 8 | 1 | 4 | 21 | 17 | +4 | 25 |

| 4th | | Man Utd | | 12 | 7 | 3 | 2 | 14 | 11 | +3 | 24 |

| 5th | | Charlton | | 11 | 7 | 1 | 3 | 19 | 13 | +6 | 22 |

</pre>

Glenn Moore Football Correspondent writes:

And so Amponsah's unconquerables have been conquered after a run of 14 games without defeat and much talk of emulating Arsene Wenger's mighty invincibles. and by Chelsea of all teams. There is no doubt, however, that Chelsea can consider themselves extremely fortunate to have won as the Gunners did enough to be worth at least a creditable draw. Chelsea had huffed and puffed but had come up against the usual obdurate defending stiffened by the inclusion of both Denilson and Gilberto Silva in the centre of the midfield. That Amponsah was forced to play 2 defensive midfielders in the centre due to the recent injury to Diarra was irony enough: the fact that he has now also lost Renato Augusto to a 4 week injury after losing Hleb for the same period (he was injured in the 5-0 drubbing of Sunderland last weekend) and Diarra (out for a month after breaking his arm in the Rangers Champion's League game last week) only serves to add salt to a raw wound. Expect more fulminating comments from Amponsah about fixture congestion in the coming weeks.

Further ironies are to be garnered from Amponsah's assertion on Tuesday that the outcome of this match could decide the destination of the Title, though many have said that this was Amponsah's rather cack-handed attempt to kill off Chelsea's confidence for once and for all: this is the Chelsea who are, after all, still languishing 7 points behind Arsenal and who, frankly, did not look like Champion's to be-even here. No that accolade must still go the Gunners, who controlled large parts of the game but were left rueing once more the brilliance of Peter Cech and the fact that, for once, the Torres/Tevez partnership did not flourish after mustering 9 goals in the previous 3 games.

Season on one might say....... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny haha Jake thought miserably. He could feel that old greyness coming on again-like it had been before. A mood to match the sombre November weather. He hated this time of year-close enough to Autumn to still remember the warm months of summer and deep enough into early winter to rue the endless dreary English winter stretching out ahead.

His mobile ringing urgently snapped him out of his reverie-it was an unknown number.

'Hello'

'Is that Jake?' Came a very familiar voice. Jake's heart was beating-who was this?

'Er, yes-who is this?'

'Surprised you didn't recognise me-it's Ben...'

In spite of the fact his brain was telling him who was on the other end of the phone somehow the rest of his consciousness refused to believe it.'

'Er, Ben, Ben?'

'Jake it's Ben Amponsah here. I got your number from the young Guns fanzone where you left it. Listen I have a proposition for you.'

Jake was trembling-it was as much as he could do to still the quaver in his voice-what on earth was Ben Amponsah doing phoning him? what did he want?

Amponsah continued: 'Listen Jake I think we are on the verge of something here and I need someone that I can trust who's not involved intimately in journalism or the club-you know journos they always need an angle and those at the club are too into what is happening here to be objective. Are you getting me?'

'I-I think so Mr Amponsah' Jake stammered

'Call me Ben remember Jake.' Jake could almost hear the Arsenal Manager smiling at the other end...that infectious smile of his that seemed like the sun bursting from a cloud.

'What I need Jake is a confidante and chronicler to record the journey of my team to the end of this season and I reckon that you're the guy: I have been very impressed at your tenacity as regards me and your dedication as regards our team....'

A pause. Jake was speechless

'What do you think?' Ben sounded worried 'Is this too much, maybe your school committments are too much? It only need be in your time-you would also get to accompany me to match games etc-maybe you could use this as part of your study-I hear that you are doing Media Studies as an AS Level?'

'No no-I mean yes YES, I'll do it!' The tears were streaming down his face-emotion was always so close to this young man's being.

'Ah, I can hear that this means alot to you young Jake-you see that was the clincher for me: your passion and emotion-welcome aboard Mr Patterson-my new Team Chronicler. I'll let you take this in and will call Friday to talk admin etc-you take care Jake-speak soon.'

And with that he was gone leaving a stunned and very emotional Jake Patterson seeing all the possibilities that suddenly stretched out in front of him.

thanks SJ icon_wink.gif seems like you and me are the only ones still reading this one eh? Hehe. Am going to start moving towards an endgame methinks as I will have to abandon FM07 altogether in Nov when the much vaunted 08 comes out eh?

Still there are a few twists and turns to come before then.............read on MacDuff!

icon_cool.gifNice one CG14-glad to hear it

Boxing Day 2009: Outside the Arsenal Dressing Room 1440hrs After the 3-0 Defeat at Old Trafford

The atmosphere was electric as Jake followed Amponsah towards the Dressing Room. His face was as grim as his idol's. Jake would like to say that he was used to trailing after Amponsah recording equipment and notebook in hand but he wasn't. Ever since the Arsenal car had swept up his Dad's drive to pick him up for the game against Reading just over a month ago and take him to chronicle that glorious 5-0 annihilation, he had been in something of a dreamland. His Dad was jealous as hell (though he tried not to show it-his friends were merely astonished. He had been there to register Ben Amponsah's delight at the realisation of his attacking tactics and the destructive presence of the astonishing Carlos Tevez, who had scored yet another hat-trick in that game. He had been introduced to the whole squad and was heartened at the friendly reception that he had been given. Amponsah had started to fill him in on some of the characters of the players: the bullishness of Tevez versus the culture of Torres; the athleticism of players like Richards and Denilson versus the consistency of the Toure's and the Traore's of the Team. It was a fascinating melting pot of styles, characters and temperaments all melded together by one man; his hero, the Arsenal Manager.

He had been an honoured guest at the mid-week Champion's League game following the Reading victory, where virtually a Gunners 2nd string side had finished off Steaua Bucharest 2-0, Fernando Torres providing both goals on that occasion. The Manager had told Jake to watch closely the performance of Alexandre Song in that game and he had not disappointed: similar to Denilson in his harrying and breaking up of play but a better passer of the ball, the young Cameroonian had shone. He beamed like a child afterwards in the Arsenal dressing room when Amponsah had told him how 'delighted' he had been by his performance.

Arsenal had officially invited Jake to the World Club Championships in Yokohama, Japan, starting on the 10th December but there was no way that Jake could get the time off School so he had to respectfully decline and settle for watching the games on TV. Arsenal won through to the final by beating a hapless Nigerian side, Enugu Rangers, 7-0 but they met a rather stiffer test in the Argentine Champion's, River Plate and were defeated 1-0 in the final. Losing Torres for 6 days to an agricultural challenge from one of the Nigerian defenders hadn't helped for sure as it was likely to keep him out of the West Brom game coming up on the 16th: a game that Jake had promised to be at.

On that Wednesday evening with his Dad's words about letting his coursework slip ringing in his ears, Jake had met a worried Ben Amponsah at the Hawthornes, who had told him that he was concerned that the character of his team was not right. He could almost 'smell' as he put it a 'wobble' coming. It was up to him to anticipate it and try and proactively manage it. The problem was likely to come as a result of all the injuries. Nor was he that happy with the form of Buffon, the stand-in Captain, which had slipped from superlative to just a little better than average in the last few games. West Brom had been seen off 3-2 by the Gunners but it was a hard game and the Gunners had somehow managed to let the Baggies right back into the game after 2 excellent goals by Rosicky and Bendtner, followed by an own goal by Paul Robinson in the 1st half. Arsenal had then proceeded to coast and were almost punished for it by a resurgent West Brom. Amponsah had been particularly displeased at yet another poor display by the 'boy wonder' Theo Walcott, who was generally having an insipid season and not living up, in any way, to all his much-vaunted promise. Jake had personally thought that the team had played pretty well but did agree with Amponsah's dark mutterings about Walcott-he just hadnt been right all season.

This near upset was followed by 2 draws, one away to Sheffield United on the first day of his Christmas holidays that was an ok result. What wasn't ok, however, was the knee ligament injury to Denilson, that was going to keep him out for 6 weeks, nor yet another injury to the returning Torres that would keep him out of the Charlton game the following Wednesday.

'These injuries are beginning to bite young Jake' Amponsah had scowled darkly on the Team bus coming back from Sheffield 'and do you now see what I mean about our performances-I had to have a quiet word with Gigi about his goalkeeping and told him to raise his game and guess what the reaction was?'

I could not imagine 'Rage, shame?' I opined.

'Nothing at all Jake-absolutely nothing-it was like talking to a ghost-that's what is worrying me. We need Titi back!'

But Henry was still some weeks from returning and sure enough the Gunners then slipped up at the Emirates to lowly Charlton-a very strange game where the home side were outplayed for long periods in their own back yard and twice had to be rescued by goals from the superlative Tevez. Afterward Amponsah had doled out the hair-dryer treatment which was memorable for the exclamation that 'the sound you hear coming up behind you is Manchester United as they chase you down!' If the situation hadnt been so serious Jake would have laughed but the fact was that United had almost indeed chased down their quarry-the gap was only 3 points even if Arsenal had a game in hand over their Northern rivals.

Which is what had made the 3-0 drubbing here all the more bitter. Ben's face was the grimmest he had seen it and there was fear in them too, Jake reckoned: fear that the early season promise of all the attacking football and barnstorming displays was going to be swept away by a red tide called United. Gary Lewin the Head Physio, intercepted us as we were about to go in.

'What is it Colin?' Amponsah snapped

'Bad news I'm afraid boss about Renato-that injury that he suffered in the game-it's a pulled hamstring: it will keep him out for at least 3 weeks.'

'F*****g great! Any more good news for me Gary!' And with that he swung open the dressing Room door and marched inside. I almost didn't dare follow him in, such was the anger emanating from the man, but I had undertaken to do this and to faithfully chronicle what happened so in I went. On this occasion I was using a palm held Sony Steadicam, supplied by the club, small neat and very easy to use: it was vital to catch everything....

The team looked beaten, dejected and in some quarters defiant.

'I would love to say you tried guys and that to lose to our great rivals in their own back yard is no shame but that would be b*****ks!' Amponsah surveyed his charges with rage in his eyes

'You were a shower-no fight at all: Fernando where was the fire that you have showed us all season eh?' Torres looked down, ashamed.

'Theo I want to give you a chance to prove you can play in your preferred role up the middle and what do you show me? You had one meaningful run at the opposition and shot over. The story of your season wouldn't you say? A bit hit and miss!' It was cruel, so cruel and in the corner the angelic looking Walcott looked like he was about to cry.

Amponsah wasnt finished, however: 'and Alexandre, you bleat all season long at me that you want an extended run and when I give it you, in the one game that really mattered, you go missing-pathetic!' Song stared back defiantly at his manager.

'You all think I am being unimagineably harsh don't you?' an uncomfortable silence, lots of shifting around on their benches: Jake was scanning the players with his cam: this was gold dust.

'Well let me remind you about what happened to this squad in 2004. Fresh from their record-breaking "invincibles" run, undefeated we came here and were beaten by United. Unfortunately they beat us not just on the pitch but in our minds as well and we haven't won since. Gilberto you were there, Kolo you were there-am I right?'

The two senior Arsenal players nodded silently: the logic of what Amponsah was saying could not be faulted.

Ben spoke gently now but his words still carried a steely menace

'It's all to play for guys, you know and I know that the early season mishaps of our great rivals mean nothing now: Javier Aguirre is a wily manager and he has got the team playing for him-you wrote them off at your peril and now look where they are....'

A projector came on as if by silent cue and onto the far end of the dressing room wall was shone the updated table-the lights dimmed so the players could read it.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> | Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| 1st | | Arsenal | | 18 | 12 | 4 | 2 | 45 | 19 | +26 | 40 |

| 2nd | | Man Utd | | 19 | 12 | 4 | 3 | 27 | 14 | +13 | 40 |

| 3rd | | Newcastle | | 19 | 10 | 5 | 4 | 29 | 16 | +13 | 35 |

| 4th | | Aston Villa | | 18 | 9 | 3 | 6 | 31 | 21 | +10 | 30 |

| 5th | | Charlton | | 17 | 9 | 3 | 5 | 27 | 21 | +6 | 30 |

| 6th | | Bolton | | 18 | 8 | 5 | 5 | 22 | 12 | +10 | 29 |

| 7th | | Liverpool | | 17 | 8 | 4 | 5 | 23 | 17 | +6 | 28 |

| 8th | | Chelsea | | 18 | 8 | 4 | 6 | 28 | 26 | +2 | 28 |

| 9th | | Tottenham | | 18 | 8 | 3 | 7 | 25 | 21 | +4 | 27 |

| 10th | | Man City | | 19 | 6 | 9 | 4 | 27 | 26 | +1 | 27 |

| 11th | | Everton | | 19 | 6 | 9 | 4 | 23 | 26 | -3 | 27 |

| 12th | | Blackburn | | 19 | 6 | 6 | 7 | 19 | 20 | -1 | 24 |

| 13th | | Middlesbrough | | 19 | 7 | 2 | 10 | 21 | 27 | -6 | 23 |

| 14th | | Sheff Utd | | 19 | 5 | 7 | 7 | 14 | 20 | -6 | 22 |

| 15th | | West Ham | | 18 | 7 | 1 | 10 | 15 | 22 | -7 | 22 |

| 16th | | Sunderland | | 16 | 4 | 3 | 9 | 16 | 25 | -9 | 15 |

| 17th | | West Brom | | 19 | 3 | 6 | 10 | 20 | 30 | -10 | 15 |

| 18th | | Reading | | 19 | 3 | 5 | 11 | 17 | 38 | -21 | 14 |

| 19th | | Portsmouth | | 18 | 2 | 6 | 10 | 15 | 27 | -12 | 12 |

| 20th | | Fulham | | 19 | 1 | 9 | 9 | 5 | 21 | -16 | 12 |

</pre>

'There you go....Chelsea may be out of it but as you will now realise United certainly aren't. The season starts here boys-right now! Manchester United want to retain their title-are we going to let them?'

A half hearted 'no!' came from a few of the players

'I SAID ARE WE GOING TO LET THEM?' Amponsah roared, making everyone jump.

'No!' this time everyone (including the back room staff Jake noted) responded.

'I CANT HEAR YOU-ARE WE GOING TO LET THEM KEEP THEIR TITLE?'

'NO! NO! NO!'

And with that he turned and swept out, winking at me, as he left.............

Afterwards om the Team bus back to London Amponsah took Jake aside and whispered in his ear

'How did I do?' There was a wicked gleam in his eye, Jake noted.

'The players seem somehow more resolute, defiant-I think your bit of reverse psychology did the trick Ben'

'Good, good.' He was gripping my arm to emphasise the passion he felt.

'We have to get back to winning ways Jake-we have a home game to Boro that we simply must win before a very difficult away FA Cup tie to Liverpool of all teams: we have to get back to winning.............'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Walcott and Buffon Provide Perfect Response to Amponsah's Admonishments The Independent Wednesday 30th December 2009

Arsenal 3 (Walcott 16, 19, Bendtner 90)

Middlesborough 1 (Yakubu 90)

Man of the Match William Gallas

Brian Viner writes:

And this was their response: Walcott and Buffon had been singled out by a furious Amponsah as 2 of the key villains of the Old Trafford horror show on Boxing Day: their performances today were herculean......... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived