how to play a 3 man midfield?

this question is for the tactical gurus such as cleon and wwfan. how can i play a 3 man midfield with 1 dmc and 2 mc? i want to emulate the real christmas tree formation used by ac milan. 1 dmc 2 mc 2 amc and 1 st.

how can i make my mcs cover both the middle and their respective sides? so far i have tried every which way but the 2 mcs 80% of the time ignore whoever is dribbling on the wing as they're too far wide and not in their zone.

Milan doesn't use a dmc. Their three central midfielders play on the same line, so the two outside ones push far enough wide to cover the flanks defensively.

pirlo plays as dmc not as a cm. the two sit further up the pitch than him and start closing down much earlier almost at the halfway line while pirlo always sits in front of the two defenders and only closes down when the opposition gets close to him.

by the way no one has answered how to do this in fm even though its the most used tactic in real football. 1 dmc and 2 mcs.

this question is for the tactical gurus such as cleon and wwfan. how can i play a 3 man midfield with 1 dmc and 2 mc? i want to emulate the real christmas tree formation used by ac milan. 1 dmc 2 mc 2 amc and 1 st.

how can i make my mcs cover both the middle and their respective sides? so far i have tried every which way but the 2 mcs 80% of the time ignore whoever is dribbling on the wing as they're too far wide and not in their zone.

I am currently at the start of a new save with AC Milan, using a tactic I have designed that is like this.

My midfield consists of one "box to box" midfielder, one defensive midfielder and one midfield playmaker in a line of three.

The DM is on forward runs rarely, with the other two on mixed.

i have tried the 3 mc formation but still the 2 wide mc dont cover the wingers adequately. most of the time the 2 wide central midfielders dont bother closing down the wingers even with cd set on 20. and even if my wide central midfielder goes and closes down the winger the 2 other midfielders dont keep the shape but instead stay where they are, isolating my other midfielder and creating huge gaps.

Make sure all your CM's are on zonal marking and play wide if you are having problems with wingers.

I also find if your FB's are on a higher mentality that helps also, as they are obviously higher up the pitch when you lose the ball and can close down their wingers quicker.

I guess I don't get it -- you want your central midfielders to play wide? In that case, they should just be wide midfielders. What AC Milan does is put them a little wider than your average central midfielder, but not as far as regular wide midfielders (which is exactly what happens when you put all three in the same line). They don't end up running out to the touchline to mark opposing wingers, though -- that's what fullbacks are for. The whole idea of the formation (defensively, at least) is to control the middle, which will naturally give up a little more space on the edges.

I guess I don't get it -- you want your central midfielders to play wide? In that case, they should just be wide midfielders. What AC Milan does is put them a little wider than your average central midfielder, but not as far as regular wide midfielders (which is exactly what happens when you put all three in the same line). They don't end up running out to the touchline to mark opposing wingers, though -- that's what fullbacks are for. The whole idea of the formation (defensively, at least) is to control the middle, which will naturally give up a little more space on the edges.

I didn't mean the 2 outside CM's play on or very near the wing, I meant they just play slightly wider so they can help out the full backs if needed.

IMO if you play 3 CM's in a line they have to able to close down on the wings on some occasions, as the opposition will just kill you down the wings, but as you said the nature of a 3 man midfield is to control the centre of midfield, so it is a tricky formation to get right as you will find you are stuck between a rock and a hard place as to whether to close down on the wings, or keep them permanently in the middle.

So far this season I have played 8 league games with AC, winning 7 and losing away at Juventus 1-0. I have conceded 4 goals all coming from set pieces so I know im not losing goals down the wings.

What I tend to do is if I see a team exploiting space on the wings I play slightly wider and it all but stops that threat.

Archived