The Story of an Evil Genius. MUHAHAHAHAHA

WLKRAS

Authors Notes:

This story is also based on the game Evil Genius and may contain various spoilers about that game. You’ve been forewarned. Leagues Running: Australia, England (3rd division and above), Greece (National League B and above) and Indonesia on CM03/04.

My goals for this game are straightforward, but not very easy. It’s the goal that every evil genius has in their mind: World Domination. Of course, you can only reach this grand goal in stages so I have devised a devious plan containing various steps that will lead my to World Domination.

Step 1: Building an Evil base of Operations

Step one is simple. In order to build up an organisation worthy of World Domination, it is necessary to create an evil underground lair, preferably on a remote island. What better place to do this than the country of a thousand islands, Indonesia? The goal is simple. Take control of a local football club as front and build up an evil base. Of course, no evil organisation can exist without funds, so the front, or the football club, must be profitable and successful. Once the we’ve made the club unbeatable in Indonesia, we can move on to the next step.

Step 2: Expanding South

Step two will not be easy. After building up the Evil base of Operations, we must expand our sphere of influence. To the south is the biggest island of them all, Australia. We can send an Evil henchman there, to run a puppet club that will dominate the Australian league. Once we’ve achieved the same domination as in Indonesia, we can move on to the next stage.

Step 3: Europe

Of course, we cannot achieve World Domination without an island base in Europe. Naturally, the best place for this is Greece. Again, we will send out a henchman to take control of a puppet club and start our domination of the Greek league.

Step 4: Achieving Global Domination

After establishing footholds in around the world and carrying out acts of evil, the English will surely sent out their super agents against our evil organisation. We will show these tea-drinkers what it’s all about and dominate their football league as our final step in our devious plan. And then, we shall dominate the world. MUHAHAHAHAHA [/evil laugther]

Authors Notes:

This story is also based on the game Evil Genius and may contain various spoilers about that game. You’ve been forewarned. Leagues Running: Australia, England (3rd division and above), Greece (National League B and above) and Indonesia on CM03/04.

My goals for this game are straightforward, but not very easy. It’s the goal that every evil genius has in their mind: World Domination. Of course, you can only reach this grand goal in stages so I have devised a devious plan containing various steps that will lead my to World Domination.

Step 1: Building an Evil base of Operations

Step one is simple. In order to build up an organisation worthy of World Domination, it is necessary to create an evil underground lair, preferably on a remote island. What better place to do this than the country of a thousand islands, Indonesia? The goal is simple. Take control of a local football club as front and build up an evil base. Of course, no evil organisation can exist without funds, so the front, or the football club, must be profitable and successful. Once the we’ve made the club unbeatable in Indonesia, we can move on to the next step.

Step 2: Expanding South

Step two will not be easy. After building up the Evil base of Operations, we must expand our sphere of influence. To the south is the biggest island of them all, Australia. We can send an Evil henchman there, to run a puppet club that will dominate the Australian league. Once we’ve achieved the same domination as in Indonesia, we can move on to the next stage.

Step 3: Europe

Of course, we cannot achieve World Domination without an island base in Europe. Naturally, the best place for this is Greece. Again, we will send out a henchman to take control of a puppet club and start our domination of the Greek league.

Step 4: Achieving Global Domination

After establishing footholds in around the world and carrying out acts of evil, the English will surely sent out their super agents against our evil organisation. We will show these tea-drinkers what it’s all about and dominate their football league as our final step in our devious plan. And then, we shall dominate the world. MUHAHAHAHAHA [/evil laugther]

Prologue

Maximillian Von Rindt had made many a million by the time he was forty-five. But never was he loved by anyone. It was no surprise really, as Max was as ugly as you could imagine. A short stocky figure, of no more than five foot high, Max weighed over 150 kilograms. Most of his weight was on his torso and belly, and it was a huge contrast to his skinny legs that looked more like matchsticks than legs. He was bald, had a scar over his left eye and a monocle in his right. You certainly couldn’t blame women for staying away from him, despite the exorbitant amounts of money he offered them. Finally, after another failed attempt of buying love, something just snapped in Max’s head. He would show these ignorant fools. He would draw up a devious plan for world domination and show the whole world what he was made of. Nobody would ever dare to reject him again. He began to set up an evil organisation, cunningly named Evil Individuals who Terrorise, Oppress and Steal or E.I.T.O.S. First, Maximillian tried to take over the market for computer game publishers. However, his attempts were thwarted by another organisation known as the Evil Anarchists (E.A.). So Max decided to use the old fashioned approach of stealing gold, committing heinous crimes and killing all agents of justice who tried to find out more about him at his Austrian castle. But more and more agents tried to break into his castle to uncover his evil plots, so Max decided to create a new safe haven.

The best place for such a place was of course a remote island, somewhere were the agents of justice wouldn’t look. Naturally, Indonesia was a prime choice, with all the islands there, the agents would spend years to find Max and his E.I.T.O.S. organisation. He found the perfect place, a chain of 27 islands, about 225 miles north of Java. The area was a marine national park, but Maximillian’s Euro’s managed to convince the local authorities that he could indeed buy one of the biggest islands in the chain. As a cover up, he also bought a football club on Java, PSIS Semarang, one of the bigger clubs on Java. He appointed himself as manager. The pieces were in place. Now, the devious plan could be set into motion…

Characters and Glossary

Maximillian Von Rindt: A Megalomaniac Criminal Mastermind, who has devised a devious plan to take over the world. It does not involve turnips, but it does involve managing football clubs.

Jubei: The Evil Samurai and Sushi Master. He’s one of Max’s evil henchmen who will assist him in taking over the world. He’s armed with a massive katana and will slice anyone who tries to cross him.

Red Ivan: This former Russian KGB commander is armed with a massive bazooka and some hand grenades. He will blow all our enemies to smithereens.

John Steele: Steele, John Steele and I like my Martini shaken and not stirred. Of course he works for the European/British organisation S.A.B.R.E.

Other important characters will be revealed as the game progresses. icon_wink.gif

E.I.T.O.S.: The evil organisation set up by Maximillian Von Rindt.

S.A.B.R.E.: The secret service for the Commonwealth and Europe. Includes Europe, Australia, Southern Africa and the Indian Subcontinent.

P.A.T.R.I.O.T.: The secret service for the US and it’s pacific allies. Includes the US, Canada, Japan and South Korea.

H.A.M.M.E.R.: The secret service for the former Soviet Union and the East bloc.

A.N.V.I.L.: The secret service for Eastern Asia. Includes China and south-east Asia.

S.M.A.S.H.: The secret service for South America and Africa. Includes South America, North and Central Africa, the Middle East and Antarctica.

And So It Begins

Indonesia, 22-12-2003

Maximillian looked outside, through the window of his personal helicopter. In the distance, he could see Semarang Karimunjawa, the island he had recently acquired. It had cost him a fair few Euro’s but he wasn’t concerned about those. It would probably cost even more to build up the base properly. The good thing about this island was that it had a big mountain in the middle of it, the perfect place for an evil underground lair. Construction workers had already started building in secret. The base already had a Strongroom to keep all valuable items, a Barracks for the men, a Control Room to control the operations from, an Armory, a small research laboratory and, most importantly, an “Inner Sanctum†where Max could develop his evil schemes.

The helicopter slowed its airspeed and started to descend. Max could see his trusted henchman Jubei waiting on the helipad. It was good to have him around. Jubei was a martial arts expert and he could kill just about anybody with his katana. Max was sure he was going to need his service if he was to achieve his goal. The forces of justice wouldn’t just let him take the entire world without something of a fight…

The helicopter landed and Max got out. Jubei greeted him in his usual oriental manner, with a respectful bow. â€It is good to see you, Sensei†he said softly. â€Your Inner Sanctum is all ready. I’ve prepared the data you requested, it’s on your desk.†Jubei continued as they entered the base through the steel blast doors. They continued through the corridor, towards the control room. A mean looking guard in an orange jump suit stood guard next to the entrance door. He quickly opened the door and saluted as the evil genius passed by.

The control room was a hive of activity. Workers in yellow jump suits rushed around with printouts and various data, handing it to technicians at control consoles and memory banks. Valets rushed around with coffee trays to keep the technicians focussed on their tasks. And from the Security Bridge above, guards patrolled the area, making sure nobody was slacking or not doing their assigned duties. At the big guard desk at the first floor balcony sat a big muscular figure. He had his feet up on the desk and was looking at one of the monitors, showing the feed from a security camera below. A bazooka was standing against the wall behind him and various grenades lay sprawled across the security desk. Suddenly, he called out to one of the guards. â€Bring me worker 132†he said with a heavy Russian accent. Two of the security guards rushed down, grabbed one of the terrified workers and brought him up to the security desk. â€Give up the documents you’ve taken†the Russian demanded, standing up. â€What documents?†the terrified worker asked. The Russian was clearly displeased. â€I do not have time for this†he shouted and he grabbed the worker. Holding the man upside down, he shook him until the documents fell out the yellow jump suit. â€Aha, you are a Traitor, comrade†the Russian said, before hurling the poor man from the balcony. The worker slammed headfirst into a concrete wall and died instantly. â€Let that be a lesson for all of you†Red Ivan shouted down…

Maximillian smiled at his other loyal henchman and then proceeded to another steel blast door, guarded by two guards. He passed through, entering another corridor, the one leading to his Inner Sanctum. Once there, he settled into his comfortable swivel chair, behind an impressive desk and started to evaluate his newly acquired football team.

Thanks Brian icon_smile.gif

Pre-Season & Transfer Dealings

Not a lot of important things happened during the pre-season. PSIS played no friendly matches and Maximillian left most of the day-to-day running of the team to his assistant manager, who actually knew a thing or two about football. He tipped Max to sign a few players and Max decided he might as well. So, Sugianto, a DML joined from Persebaya for 30k and he was joined by his former team-mate Irfan Junaidi for 60k. Later on, they’d be joined by a central midfielder by the name of Karyono. The bookies give us odds of 40-1 on winning the league, which isn’t too inspiring for my confidence…

The evil base in the meantime was being expanded as the construction workers continued to blast a system of corridors and rooms under the big mountain. A small bar and hotel were set up on the far side of the island to keep the nosy wildlife tourists at bay and to make sure they didn’t see things they weren’t supposed to see. Of course, the occasional tourist wandered into the “restricted area†and would run into the steal blast doors. Some even managed to sneak into the base with a worker. These intruders were dealt with appropriately. They were imprisoned, questioned in the big mess hall mixer and then brainwashed so that they wouldn’t report the existence of the evil lair to their respective governments. But despite that, several agents of justice visited the island. Some of them returned to the HQ without anything substantial to report, others didn’t return at all and ended up in the big freezer.

The Season Starts

PSIS get their season underway with a difficult away game to Deltras. Maximillian was watching the game from the main stand of the stadium, leaving the on the pitch management to his assistant once more. Jubei was accompanying him. Surprisingly, PSIS upset the odds by taking an 15th minute lead through their star striker Julio Lopez Venegaz. He missed another good chance halfway through the first half, but four minutes from halftime, he doubled PSIS’ lead with another good goal. Deltras however were not out of it yet, as they got one back on the stroke of halftime. The game remained a close affair throughout the second half, but nearing the end, PSIS lack of match practice began to show. First they lost Venegaz to injury and then, they gave away their lead with a last minute own goal by Setiono.

â€Get that guy and shoot him†Max shouted angrily at Jubei. â€But Sensei, we can’t do that, people would discover our evil presence here, and the forces of justice would surely investigate something like that. I can arrange some “mixer treatment*†for him though†his henchman suggested. Max nodded in agreement and decided to go back to his island. His spies around the world were looking at various opportunities to commit heinous crimes and there was a good opportunity nearby, in Indonesia.

* involves a big industrial mixer a ditto bowl with the person treated inside. Mixer is aimed at the more vital parts, between the legs…

I'm sorry about the lack of updates recently, but i've been very busy with other things, especially at Uni. I have next week off though, so I should be able to post some more updates. Here's one to start with icon_smile.gif

Act of Infamy 1: Fishy Business

After having observed the region carefully, Maximillian’s minions found out that A.N.V.I.L. were now deploying junks at beaches as new listening posts. They would wire these junks with expensive eavesdropping equipment and then track the criminals around Java to discover their crimes. To counter this, E.I.T.O.S. had come up with a devious plan to feed dolphins radio-equipped fish that could track the junks so that the criminals could evade them while committing their acts. A group of five construction workers was sent to carry out the order. They bought some fish at a local fishmarket, fed it to dolphins at a number of beaches and used disguised receiving stations to pick up the signals. The plan worked and A.N.V.I.L. looked like a bunch of amateurs. Max was very pleased with himself and continued to plot evil schemes to make the security forces look silly. Of course, this resulted in an increase in A.N.V.I.L. agents snooping around the island. They all ended up hanging in the freezer rack…

On the footballing front, things weren’t looking so bright. Venegaz had picked up an hip injury and would miss the next three months of the league. The other starting striker, Indriyanto Nugroho, was also injured and would miss the next match against Persija. Without any power going forward, PSIS didn’t stand a chance and were lucky to lose only 1-0, even though they played much of the second half against 10 men. Of course, Max was not amused.

Since Sentiono’s mixer treatment hadn’t really worked, Maximillian swooped for another defender just before the closure of the transfer market. Australian Eddie Bosnar joined from Sturm Graz for 90k. He went straight into the side, as did Karyono, for the game against Perseden. And with Nugroho also returning after injury, PSIS suddenly seemed a lot stronger. A 3-1 win was the result, Purdjianto, Irfan Junaidi and Nugroho the scorers.

Nugroho missed the next match again though, as he picked up another injury, a torn groin muscle. The guard who had put him in the mixer had not only picked up the wrong person, he’d also been a bit too enthusiastic and was promptly by Jubei’s katana. Without their main strike force, PSIS could only manage a 0-0 draw in their next game. And seven days later, it looked like another goalless draw against Pelita, but the home side managed to get a late winner, leaving PSIS down on a 14th place in the league, dangerously close to relegation (Note that the bottom six out of twenty go down)

Max was of course not happy and he sent Red Ivan to bring the assistant manager who was charged with running the team from day to day. Max was sitting comfortably behind his impressive desk, yelling at a minion who had been negligent in his duties when Red Ivan and the assistant entered.

â€Ah, Mr Yogyanto, how good of you to join us. Abdul here was just leaving, weren’t you, Abdul?†Max said with a glare. Ivan and Yogyanto were waiting on the far side of the room when Abdul passed the sinister conference table situated in the middle of the massive inner sanctum. Suddenly, Max pushed a button and the big E.I.T.O.S. logo on the table slid back. Out came a map of the island with a mountain in the centre. The top of the mountain opened and out came a miniature Tesla coil. It fired a massive bolt of energy at Abdul who dropped dead on the spot. Max pushed another button and the table returned to its normal state. â€Now, Mr. Yogyanto, I’m sure that you will work harder to get PSIS up the league table†Max said with another glare. “Y-yes, Number One†Yogyanto stuttered with a bow. Max laughed maniacally as Yogyanto left and two guards came in to get rid of Abdul…

icon_eek.gif

icon_cool.gif

Act of Infamy 2: Tea Time

It seemed that Yogyanto had delivered an inspirational team talks, as PSIS did well to beat Persib 1-0, thanks to Yuniarto Budi’s header on 65 minutes. During the game, Red Ivan made a very interesting discovery, which he reported to Max in the boardroom, after the game. â€Comrade chairman, I make interesting find. Russian sailors are in Semarang. They come here by nuclear submarine. Perhaps we can borrow it, yes?†he said quietly to Max, whose eyes glinted in the pale sunlight. â€Do you think we can pull that off Ivan? And do we have anyone to captain that submarine?†Max asked uncertainly, but his trembling voice betrayed his real thoughts. What if he could get his hands on a Russian nuclear submarine? He could go anywhere in the world then, without being seen. Of course, he would need a radiation suit to prevent him from glowing in the dark, since Russian subs are not known for their reliability, but that was a minor detail. â€Comrade, I think this is good opportunity. We steal submarine, kidnap captain and force him to teach us how to run submarine. Then we are invincible, comrade†Ivan smiled. Max started laughing maniacally â€Take as many men as you need and do it. Muahahahaâ€

They agreed to steal the submarine during PSIS’ next game, at home against PSDS. The home crowd cheered loudly as Khusnul Yakin scored the only goal of the game in the 45th minute. Meanwhile, Red Ivan and 10 of the guards from the evil base were slowly sneaking through the Semarang harbour. â€We must be very quiet, this is stealth mission, comrades†Ivan said to the others. â€But if this is a stealth mission, then why are you carrying that bazooka?†one of the guards inquired. It was not a smart thing to ask. Ivan picked up the guard and threw him one-handed into a stack of containers. The containers collapsed on top of the guard. But the noise had alarmed the Russian sailors on guard and they were now storming towards the containers, armed with AK-47’s.

â€You go to submarine and capture the captain. Kill anyone else. I will deal with guards here and then come help you†Ivan roared at his men. The guards in their very obvious orange jump suits ran off towards the submarine, cunningly going around the oncoming guards. The guards didn’t see them. By the time they came to the heap of containers, they saw a giant of a man, armed with a bazooka and some grenades standing in wait. They brought their AK-47’s around to fire at him, but before they got a shot off, a rocket streaked through the air. Ivan’s missile hit the ground in the centre of the group, blasting some of them straight into the sky. Others were smacked against the containers by the shockwave. Either way, all of the guards were dead in a matter of seconds and Red Ivan ran off to the submarine.

Inside the sub, sailors had heard the crash of the containers and they were quickly getting to their battle stations as their captain had ordered. â€Comrade Captain, the ship is ready for dive†the “Starpom†(Executive Officer) said. Just then, the load explosion of Red Ivan’s missile sounded throughout the harbour. â€What the hell was that?†Captain Vasily Mozorov shouted. â€Whatever it was, it wasn’t on board the ship, captain. All systems show green. But to be safe, we had better get out of here†the Starpom said…

Outside the submarine, the guards had failed to get to the ship in time and all the hatches had been sealed shut. They had heard the ship’s engine firing up and they all guessed that it would be too late. But Ivan had other ideas. â€I will jump onto ship and blow hole in the side. You go through hole and kill everyone, except Captain, da?†he yelled at the guards. Ivan went back a couple of paces and then, with a giant leap, he jumped onto the deck of the submarine. The guards jumped after him, one by one, and they all landed safely. While the guards had been jumping onto the ship, Ivan had set his handgrenades next to one of the hatches. He motioned for the guards to get back while he pulled all of the pins. Then he ran off to the guards, behind the conning tower. A big blast rocked the submarine in the water. The hatch had been blown clean off and a neat hole was now at the place where Ivan had placed his grenades. The guards jumped in and Ivan went in after them.

The sailors in the sub were totally unprepared for the carnage that followed and the guards quickly cut through their numbers. Finally, they reached the control centre. Ivan went in first and grabbed captain Mozorov while the rest of the crew was killed by the guards. When everyone was dead, Ivan threw the captain into a chair. â€Now, comrade Captain, you will tell my men how to drive this submarine. But first we must repair hole, because we must travel underwater†Ivan shouted at the captain. â€And what if I refuse?†Mozorov asked. â€Then we will kill you too and read the manual. But that is very time consuming so I’d prefer it if you help us†Ivan replied. â€I do not have much choice then, have I comrade? Very well…†Mozorov said with a nod.

cheers mate icon_smile.gif

Mozorov helped his captors repair the hole in the submarine. It didn’t take very long and by the time the Indonesian authorities had arrived at the harbour, the submarine had submerged and sailed off towards the national park where the evil base lay. Of course, there were no docks at the evil base and since it was a tourist resort, a big Russian nuclear submarine would surely arouse suspicion. And so, Max purchased a second island, very close to the first, where a massive underground dock was constructed for E.I.T.O.S. to use.

Of course, this took some time, when it was finally finished, the league season had progressed into it’s 13th round of play. PSIS had done well and were up in a 7th spot. They’d only lost one game since their 1-0 win over Persib (3-0, against lowly placed Persijatim) and they’d beaten PSPS (2-1) Persipura (2-0) and Persik (1-0). Finally, they’d also gained a point against PSS (what’s with all these P’s and S’s anyway?) in a boring, goalless draw.

And a win in their next game, against third placed Persita could take them even further up the table. But the game wasn’t much to look at and PSIS never looked like troubling their opponents. But Persita weren’t very threatening either, 6 of their 8 shots being off-target. And so, the game ended in another 0-0 draw, leaving PSIS well clear of relegation in 7th place.

In the meantime, the construction of the new island had been completed and the submarine had secretly docked at it’s new home. Mozorov was kept under strict guard by Maximillian’s henchmen. He was forced to train many of the evil organisation’s workers into fully trained submarine sailors. Of course, he couldn’t do this alone, so Max had ordered the abduction of a few Indonesian sailors who were forced to help Mozorov. Naturally, the disappearance of the submarine was great cause of concern to the Russians and also the Americans. While the Russians were afraid that Chechen rebels might have captured it for use against the Black Sea oil installations, the Americans were genuinely concerned that a group of Al-Qaida terrorists had captured it and that they would use it to strike against the US navy. Both countries had spies actively searching for the submarine in and around Indonesia, but none of the spies could find any trace of the submarine. It seemed like it had vanished into thin air.

Max realised that it would be wise to lay low for a while, until the heat had died off some and his submarine crew was fully trained for it’s first mission. He had sent Jubei and Red Ivan out to find a suitable target for that very mission…

But while Max was staying out of the public eye, his team did pretty much the opposite. They were keeping up their good run of form, with wins over Semen Padang and Arema and then draws against Pupuk Kaltim and Barito Putra, before 2nd placed PSM finally stopped their charge up the league table. That loss really unsettled the team and they went down in the next game as well, 2-0 at home against Petrokimia Putra. But nevertheless, halfway through the league, PSIS were still doing above everyone’s expectations with an 8th place in the league. And that wasn’t the end of it, because PSIS also announced two new signings, who would join at the end of the season on a free transfer. Both were strikers, Donny Kalebos (21 year old striker from Persita) and Nixon Nuboba (Age 24, from Persipura) and they’d hopefully add to the amount of goals scored next season as that is a department where PSIS are seriously lacking…

With another “Bore you opponents to death and then scoreâ€-win against Persija, PSIS took three more important points. In the game after that, against Perseden, Venegaz took just 11 seconds to open the scoring, but the home side was not going to let PSIS win so easily. They struck back on 25 minutes, after our goalkeeper failed to keep hold of a loose ball. Both sides had plenty of chances in the second half, but most of them were wasted. It wasn’t until the 77th minute that a goal was scored and when it came, it came at the wrong end. Perseden made good use of a gap in the PSIS defence and took the lead. They never gave it away again either, handing PSIS their 6th loss of the season.

While his team was performing reasonably well, Max had been supervising the final days of training for his submarine crew. He had decided to offer Mozorov a job as captain of the submarine as a reward for his excellent work. Of course, needless to say, accepted it, knowing that Maximillian would probably kill him if he didn’t. But then again, that was probably the case for anyone working for E.I.T.O.S. And so, Mozorov was now a full member of the evil organisation, although Max carefully monitored his actions. On the 21st of May, 2004, Mozorov declared that his submarine was fully operational and would be ready to carry out any mission Max would order.

That was indeed good news for Max as two hours earlier, Jubei and Red Ivan had returned from their scouting missions across the globe. They had found several decent targets, but one really stood out. In a week’s time, a massive freighter would leave from the Indian port of Bombay with a shipment of tea. But this wasn’t just any tea for any ordinary man. This tea was specially grown for the officers and commanders of S.A.B.R.E. The ship carried enough tea to keep the secret service supplied for the next year. Sinking this ship would be a giant victory for E.I.T.O.S. and would seriously dent S.A.B.R.E.’s investigative abilities. After all, the English can’t go without their tea. The "Vepr" would be more than ready for this mission. In fact it was the perfect test for its abilities...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the recent lack of updates, but i've been quite busy with Uni and work, so i haven't had much time to write. Don't worry though, i WILL continue this story icon_smile.gif

Two days later, Maximillian gave the order for the Vepr to leave the underground docks and head for India. Captain Mozorov skilfully manoeuvred the ship out of the island group and with Max, Red Ivan and Jubei looking on, he ordered a direct course for the Sunda Strait between Java and Sumatra, the first checkpoint of the journey. Max had had just enough time to watch PSIS play against Deltras before he left. In an uneventful match, PSIS came out on top thanks to goals from Yakin and substitute Otto Weah. The final score however was 2-1 as Deltras managed to sneak in a late consolation goal. It wasn’t anything more than that though.

The submarine had left late in the evening, around 22:30, to avoid detection by curious tourists. They were scheduled to pass through the first checkpoint at the Sunda Strait at half past five in the morning. From there on, the journey would send them through the Indian Ocean past the Maldives all the way up to Socotra Island, off the coast of Yemen. There they would lie in wait for the S.A.B.R.E. freighter as it makes its way towards the Suez Canal. If everything worked out as planned, they would have to wait exactly twelve hours for the freighter after their arrival at the small island. But their plan was risky. If the freighter left earlier then planned, they would have to race up through the Red Sea to catch it. If the freighter left later, they’d be faced with a serious possibility of detection by an American Navy battlegroup which would be making it’s pass through the Gulf of Aden a day after the planned strike.

Max looked at the big chart spread out on the table in front of him. It showed their planned journey, the probable journey of the freighter and the Navy battlegroup. It also showed various timelines for the journeys of each ship. The Vepr was expected to arrive at Socotra five days and seventeen hours after departure from the underground docks. The freighter would arrive at the island about twelve hours later, three days and five hours after leaving port in Bombay. The first part of their journey would be the most dangerous and was therefor carried out under the cover of night. As the Vepr slowly glided through the waters of the Javasea, Max’ thoughts were set on their goal. Would they succeed? And if they did, who would S.A.B.R.E. send to investigate the matter? It would no doubt be their top agent, 005. His name was unknown to Max, but he was sure he’d find out sooner or later.

Seven hours after departure, Captain Mozorov gave the order to lower the speed to a mere five knots. They had covered the 284 miles between Semarang Karimunjawa and the Sunda Strait at fifteen knots, but navigating the strait would be a risky business. They would have to surface the ship, so that a lookout could navigate them through the straight, past Krakatau Island and into the Indian Ocean. Thankfully, the shipping lane was unusually quiet for the time of day and the submarine could cross it before the sun started to rise over Indonesia. As soon as they had past the now died out volcano of Krakatau, Mozorov ordered everyone below and told his diving officer to take the ship below again. Within five minutes, the ship had once again disappeared from view and it would not return on the surface for a while…

The next leg of the journey would take them all the way up to the Maldives. Well before they got there, the ship’s radio officer received two transmissions on the VLF antenna designed to pick up Ultra-low Frequency transmission. Both of them were directed to Max. The first was about PSIS latest league game, in which they had drawn 1-1 with Persikota. Max was mildly pleased with that and the second transmission had even better news. The S.A.B.R.E. freighter had left port on time and the scientists at the evil base and calculated that it would arrive at the Island exactly on schedule. Their goal was now within reach.

Three days and eighteen hours after departure, they crossed the Maldives at a slightly slower speed to avoid suspicious fishermen who were paying attention to their sonar. But once they were clear of the islands again, Mozorov ordered a speed of 25 knots once more. Almost two more days until they’d reach Socotra and the tensions were already rising on board of the ship. Everyone was in anticipation of their first combat experience. Of course, it wasn’t much of a fight, a high-tech killer weapon like a submarine against an unarmed freighter.

Max groaned. The beds in the submarine were quite uncomfortable and he almost couldn’t sleep in them. He had commandeered the captain’s hut, but it hardly seems any more comfortable then the other bunkbeds aboard the ship. He looked at the wallmounted clock. Five more hours. They’d reached Socotra Island on schedule and were now crawling along the sea floor at two knots, barely enough to maintain steerage. The latest VLF communication had stated that the S.A.B.R.E. freighter, named the Disco Volante was still on schedule as well and would arrive at the island on time. Max had planned to sleep some before the ship would get here, but these uncomfortable beds didn’t make that easy. Max sighed and closed his eyes once more. Sleep would come sooner or later he told himself…

Captain Ryan O’Keefe was standing on the bridge, enjoying the warm weather and salty sea-air. His ship was finally going back home, after waiting in India for weeks on that shipment of tea. O’Keefe didn’t even like tea. He preferred coffee to tea any time. But the government was paying him good money to get the tea back to England, so he couldn’t really complain, could he? Ryan asked himself. He just missed his family when he was away so long, but then again, he loved the freedom of being a captain of this big freighter. In fact, he loved the Disco Volante. He had named it after the yacht in the James Bond film, Thunderball. But like that ship didn’t make it to the end of the film, his Disco Volante wouldn’t make it to the end of it’s journey…

Below the surface of the Arabian Sea, the “Vepr†was speeding up to eight knots. Captain Mozorov had waited for the freighter to pass them and he was now sneaking up on them from behind, where the sonar performance of the freighter would be the worst.

â€Captain, she’s dead ahead of us, about two thousand yards, speed fourteen knots†the officer manning the tracking computer called out.

â€Very well†Mozorov said. He then turned to the chief of the boat. â€Mr. Ryzkov, take up to periscope depthâ€.

â€Yes captain. Diving officer, make your depth 60 feet†the chief said. The submarine was still gaining speed while it made its way to the surface.

â€Up Scope!†Mozorov said when they had reached periscope depth. He made a quick scan of the area, but saw nothing but the Disco Volante. â€Target positively identified, load tubes one and four†he said next. He turned to Max with the question in his eyes. Max just nodded.

â€Tubes one and four are loaded, sir. Outer doors are closed.†the chief of the boat announced.

â€Open outer doors, match bearing and range.†Mozorov paused briefly before continuing. â€And fire…â€. The submarine reverberated as the two 533mm torpedo’s raced out of their torpedo bays…

â€Captain!†O’Keefe heard the shout from behind the windows. He turned and looked at his sonarman, waving him over. O’Keefe grunted and walked back inside to join the operator.

â€What is it now Jonesy? Another whale?†O’Keefe asked with a smile, until he noted that seaman Jones was looking very pale all of a sudden.

â€No sir, I think someone just launched two torpedo’s at us†Jones said with a shaking voice. He turned a switch on his control board a high-pitch whistling tone filled the room. O’Keefe knew instantly his sonar operator was right. He yelled at the helmsman.

â€Gary, take us hard right, and increase to flank speed†But as he looked at the sonar screen he knew it was too late. The torpedoes were fired at a very close range and there was no way he could outrun or outmanoeuvre them.

â€Torpedoes are closing fast captain, we have no chance†Jones said.

â€Sound collision and get everyone to the lifeboats, we’ll be going down.†O’Keefe said without a hint of emotion in his voice. But in the inside, he was crying. Then the impact of the torpedoes sent him flying across the bridge, slamming him headfirst against a metal support beam. Death was instantaneous.

The torpedoes hit within eight feet of each other, tearing a gaping hole in the stern of the ship, just above it’s propellers. Seawater started to flow in instantly and within the first few minutes, the engine room and the lower decks were already flooded. Only half of the twenty-man crew managed to get away to the lifeboat. The others either died on impact or drowned aboard the ship. The ship sunk quickly and in twenty minutes, it had fully submerged. Tealeaves were quickly cluttering on the surface and in an hour, most of the cargo had floated out of the ship and into the sea…

Aboard the submarine, Max laughed maniacally. They had just verified the massive hole in the rear of the freighter through the periscope and were now racing away from the sinking ship. Mozorov had ordered the sub to go back exactly the way it came and with a speed of ten knots, the “Vepr†slowly made its way back towards Indonesia. On their journey home, Max was informed of another PSIS victory, this time over Pelita. The single goal in the game came from Khusnul Yakin.

The sinking of the Disco Volante had generated much concern over the world. Who would do such a thing was the question that everyone asked, but no one knew the answer to. Max decided that he and his evil organisation would do best not to attract any attention to themselves and so he focussed on managing PSIS and his evil base, but committed no heinous acts of infamy. He was sure however, that S.A.B.R.E. would investigate the sinking of the tea-freighter and he had no doubt, that eventually, that would lead to his evil base…

Somewhere in the UK

â€Oh John…†the girl moaned as he kissed her. Just as he was about to venture further south, the annoying beep of his watch made him stop.

â€Can’t you just leave it?†the girl asked, but the man had already rolled off her and reached for the watch. The watch had a simple and short message on its display. â€Trouble in India, report to M ASAP - Moneypennyâ€.

â€Oh, that’s just grand…†the man said to himself. â€I have to go now†he said to the girl.

â€Can’t you just stay a little longer?†she asked hopefully. He looked down on her beautiful body and her sparkling eyes. â€Well, I suppose another twenty minutes couldn’t hurt…†he said as he got back into the bed.

Two hours later, John Steele walked through the door at Universal Exports. He threw his hat onto the coat stand and hung his coat next to it. Behind his back, he held a single red rose, hidden from the view of the secretary sitting at the great oak desk.

â€Hello Moneypenny†Steele said with a cheerful voice. He then handed her the rose.

â€Oh John, you shouldn’t have…†she said. â€You’d better go right in though, he looked very upset with something†she went on, nodding her head at the impressive door on the far side of the room. Steele did as he was told and headed through the door. He noted at once that M, his boss, wasn’t seated at his desk as usual. Instead, he was pacing up and down in front of it.

â€Ah 006, you’re here at last.†M said with a grim face. He walked back over to his desk and sat behind it.

â€Please, sit down. We have a big problem. We’re out of tea†M said with a sour face.

â€Well then, shouldn’t we send someone over to the shop to get us some more?†Steele asked with a smile.

â€Now is not the time to be funny, 006!†M yelled. â€The freighter carrying our years supply of tea from Bombay to here was sunk yesterday, possibly by a submarine. It will be your mission to find out who did it and to bring them to justice. A plane will be taking you to Yemen in four hours. A man from the embassy will meet you there. Now get going!†M finished, before almost throwing Steele out of his office.

â€Remind me to bring him his cup of tea next time I go in there†Steele said to Moneypenny.

â€He’s been going on like that all day†Moneypenny replied before handing him over his ticket for the plane…

With airlines, you never know and it took Steele quite a while to reach Aden, Yemen. Actually, by the time he got there, PSIS had played two further games. In the first, they were completely outplayed by Persib, but a late second-half strike from Venegaz gave the visitors all three points, against the run of play. In the next game, PSDS were soundly beaten 2-1, although the margin could well have been bigger. Purdjianto and Otto Weah scored the goal and the latter also clinched his second consecutive Man of the Match award. But with all the other teams around PSIS also winning, Max’ team remained stuck in their sixth place.

When Steele’s plane finally landed in Yemen, the wreckage of the Disco Volante had already been lifted of the seafloor and towed away to the port of Aden. It was there that 006 made his first inspection of the freighter.

â€Well, I don’t think this ship is going anywhere for a while. It’d sink†Steele said, blatantly stating the obvious to the embassy man, Nigel Al-Bareghini. Nigel was the son of a local Yemenite and a woman from the old British embassy. He had lived in Yemen all his life and had been recruited by MI-6 to join the Yemen field office of Universal Exports. As just about everyone knew, UE was MI-6’s cover name for its secret agency. Al-Bareghini was now the Chief of Station for the British embassy in Yemen and he ran various contacts within the Yemenite government. It was via one of his contacts, an informant in the Yemen Ministry of Defence that he had found out where the Disco Volante had been towed to. Upon entering Dock 3b of the Aden port, John Steele had been surprised to see a number of people present. Al-Bareghini had explained to him that it was the remainder of the crew, who were paying tribute to those who didn’t survive the attack.

006 made an up close inspection of the massive hole in the stern of the freighter, but all he could find out was that the ship wasn’t sea-worthy anymore. There was no telling what had made the hole, although torpedoes or low-altitude anti-ship rockets seemed the most likely. It couldn’t have been a mine, because it would have struck on the side or the front of the ship and not from behind. But other than that, he couldn’t tell who sunk the ship or how it had been done.

â€Nigel, I need a list of countries in the area that have access to submarines. Diesel most likely, but possibly nuclear. Also, check for any sales of submarines recently, I’m sure the answer is in there somewhere.†Steele told Al-Bareghini.

â€So what will you do in the meantime? Nigel asked.

â€I’ll have a chat with those sailors Steele said before walking off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snakexe:

For someone who lives in Holland you speak better English than most of the kids in my street. Great story <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_smile.gif Thanks mate, i guess having an English father helps though icon_wink.gif

No updates for a bit i'm afraid, i'm very busy at uni atm, plus I have to go to physiotherapy for my torn ankle ligaments icon_frown.gif

Nigel returned after a couple of hours with a few sheets of paper.

â€The countries in the area that have Diesel submarines are: Egypt, India, Iran, Israel and Pakistan. But none of those countries have nuclear submarines to our knowledge.†he told Steele

â€What about the sales?†006 asked.

â€I was just coming to that. China recently bought three Alfa nuclear submarines from Russia, but they aren’t due to be delivered for another two months according to our Russian sources†Nigel said.

â€That’s of no use to us either then†Steele concluded. â€Besides, Russian Alfa’s are as noisy as hell and the sonar guy I spoke to said he hadn’t heard a thing until the torpedo launch. I know he didn’t have much training, but anyone could’ve heard an Alfa if it were there†he went on.

â€So we’re basically not getting anywhere with this?†Nigel asked.

â€I’m afraid that’s the case. Who’s your contact at the US embassy here?â€

â€A guy named Walker. He’s CIA and he’s not officially on the Embassy staff, but the Yemeni’s don’t care. He’s not here to spy on them anyway. But he’s a real pain in the ass to track down around here. I’ll see if I can find him, but don’t expect me to find him before the week is over†Nigel explained.

â€That’s not much of a problem, I’ll go out and enjoy the countryside†Steele said with a sly grin.

While 006 was enjoying the Yemeni countryside, Max was back in Indonesia, watching his PSIS side get two points in two games, both dull 0-0 draws. But with June drawing to an end, PSIS suddenly got into gear, driven by the return of Irfan Junaidi. He guided PSIS past Persijatim with a stunning goal and an assist. Khusnul Yakin and Eko Purdjianto scored the other goals, which guided PSIS up the table into a fifth place. And it didn’t end there, in the next game, PSIS gained three more points to reach fourth. Budi and Venegaz scored the goals for PSIS as they breezed past PSS with 10 men. Junaidi was the hero turned to villain when he was sent off early on, but PSIS didn’t seem to be hampered by his sending off and finished their opponents off with ease. Content with his team’s performances, Max returned to the evil hideout. Here, he was pleasantly surprised when a six-foot blonde was waiting for him in his Inner Sanctum. She presented herself as a female bodyguard and she certainly looked the part. She was dressed down to the bare necessities and the little clothing she had on was in Army Green. Her only problem was her intellect or better, her lack thereof. Blondes aren’t known for their intelligence, but Miss Bauer, as her name was, was definitely last in line when brains had been handed out. As Max said behind his great impressive desk, hatching a plot, she sat in the corner of the room, hatching an egg…

Meanwhile, down in Yemen, Nigel Al-Bareghini had finally located Jeff Walker after weeks of trying to find the man. He had arranged a meeting between Steele and the CIA man, in a local coffeehouse. Jeffrey Walker looked more like an Arab than an American Steele noted when Al-Bareghini introduced him to the man. Walker was short, about five-seven, and had a stocky figure. His heavy beard made him look even more like an Arab and his olive-coloured face finished the picture that made him look like a local.

“I know I don’t look like much of an American†he said with a Texan accent. “But I can do my work a lot easier when I look like this†he went on.

“Well, you certainly look the part†Steele agreed. “Steele, John Steele†006 introduced himself.

“Jeff Walker. So you’re from –6 then eh?â€

“Yes, I am. Anyway, let’s get down to business. Do you know of anyone in the area who could have access to a nuclear powered submarine? And a reason to sink a British freighter?†Steele asked.

“Woah, slow down Mr. Steele. That’s a lot of questions at one time. A nuclear sub you say? The only ones who could afford it around here are the Saudi’s and the Iranians. And the former is definitely not interested in having one. Not sure about Iran though. But why would they want to sink a British freighter?†Walker asked.

“If only I knew. What about private individuals?†006 went on.

“A terrorist you mean? Well, I suppose, if you have enough cash, you could always buy a Russian one. But they’d probably think twice before selling their submarines to dodgy individuals. And besides, they couldn’t keep something like that a secret. Word would get out sooner or later and there’d be hell to pay if anyone ever found out†the American concluded. Steele knew the man was right. Even if a submarine had sunk the Disco Volante it would be untraceable, at least until it struck again. If it ever would. Too many questions there, Johnny old boy he thought. The men finished their strong local brew coffee and parted ways again. 006 was still none the wiser.

“So now what, Mr. Steele?†Nigel asked.

“Well, not much I can do. There aren’t too many leads. There’s only one place left to look and that is the port of Bombay. Send a telegram to M to inform him I’m over there. See ya around Nigel†Steele said before flagging a cab and heading back to his hotel to pack…

Max paced around in front of the impressive desk in his Inner Sanctum. His team had a drop in form again, losing shamefully against Persita by one goal to nil. They were outplayed the entire game and never looked like getting points of their opponents. To add to Max’ worries, his best striker, Julio Lopez Venegaz tore his knee ligaments, ruling him out for three months. It meant that the Chilean would not see anymore action this season. There was still one game left before the brief summer interval. That game would decide whether assistant manager Yogyanto would live past said interval. Max never liked the smelly little bugger anyway, but he needed a proper reason to kill him. Otherwise, the morale of the team might be affected…

Yogyanto didn’t know how close he came to his death. With fifteen minutes left in the game and the score still at 0-0, Max had told Jubei to prepare his samurai sword. Moments before, Indriyanto Nugroho, the second best striker had been stretchered off and Max saw that his team were struggling. But just as he was about to send Jubei down to the touchline, Yuniarto Budi pulled of a little piece of magic. Irfan Junaidi’s free kick was headed out of the area, but it fell straight to Budi. He didn’t hesitate and fired the ball into the top corner. The crowd erupted in one massive cheer and Max hastily told Jubei to return to his seat. Following the goal, PSIS played out the match calmly, claiming three more points to their total…

Steele travelled to India, but he found little of note in Bombay. At least, nothing of note to MI-6. He did meet an attractive lady in the local casino and spend a few pleasant nights with her, before returning to London. When he reported his failure to find anything useable, M was of course less than pleased.

â€You useless fool. How did you ever get recruited by my predecessor, I don’t know. You’re on two weeks leave, WITHOUT pay! Now get out of my office and ask Miss Moneypenny to find 007 for me. At least he knows how to deal with a situation like this†M fumed. M sent his ashtray flying through the room towards Steele, who ducked just in time and hurried out of the office.

â€Well, that was interesting†he told himself as he walked passed Moneypenny’s desk. â€Oh, he wants…†006 was cut off.

â€to see 007. I know, he shouted loud enough to hear it on the other side of the Thames†Moneypenny smiled, but Steele had already gathered his coat and hat and left the secretary’s office…

The night came quickly and without warning, darkness falling over the island like a blanket. The only light still visible was that of the moon and the stars. Max glared up, watching the moonlight. He felt his evilness diminishing in this sort of place. The beautiful tropics, seen under a moonlit sky. But he refused to give in to his feelings and continued his evil plotting. His plan for world domination was slow he realised. PSIS had an okay team, but they weren’t anything special and Indonesia wasn’t exactly the focal point of world football, he told himself. But then again, Indonesia, the kingdom of a thousand islands made the perfect place for his evil lair. Plus with the submarine in his possession, he could travel anywhere in the world virtually unseen. But what he still lacked was a weapon that could strike fear in the hearts of every citizen of the earth. A weapon that would make everyone shiver before him in fear. A nuclear arsenal, a giant laser from outer space or something similar. For now, however, he’d stick to the football. Tomorrow, the league season would continue in Indonesia, with PSIS taking on Persik in Semerang. He’d be there, watching his team, reminding them what would happen if they failed…

The next day, over nineteen thousand people had flocked to the Jatidiri Stadium in Semerang to watch PSIS play Persik. It was a good turnout, Max noted, most of the fans enjoying the last weekend of their holiday break. Although it wasn’t a capacity crowd, there were no seats unoccupied. Well, Max told himself, with only 15000 seats, that wasn’t much of a surprise. To the right, he noted the hard core fans, who were as always in their standing spots behind one of the goals. The match kicked off at 15:00 local time exactly. Less than a minute later, the loyal PSIS fans were already jumping for joy after Indriyanto Nugruho had put them 1-0 up. Persik never really recovered from that and they only managed one shot in the entire game. It was all PSIS as the game progressed, with Luluk Apriyanto making it 2-0 from a Nugroho cross. And it didn’t end there either. Dwi Adi Nugroho, the midfielder, made it 3-0 on the verge of halftime after a great move down the right. Setyabudi crossed it in, Budi headed it down and Nugroho blasted it past the goalkeeper for his first for PSIS. The second half was more of the same. Otto Weah set up Indriyanto Nugroho for his second and Budi finished off the visitors with a fifth goal, coming from another Weah pass. A Persik defender was sent off late in the game, but it didn’t matter anymore by then. With the win, PSIS raced up to the third spot in the league, and Max was very pleased. There might just be hope for his plans yet…

A week later, things were looking even better for Max when PSIS cruised past Arema thanks to a Indriyanto Nugroho hattrick. And on top of that, he’d come up with a new devious plot to further disrupt the world. His spies in South Africa had found out that the biggest crime lord on the African continent, Jantu Moffi, was hiding near Cape Town. He was apparently hiding in a barbershop, but the police and secret service were closing in on him. Max had little time, but he ordered Jubei to take five of his most trusted guards and make sure that the South African branch of S.A.B.R.E. would not capture the crime lord. Not only would it seriously disrupt stability on the continent, it would also make S.A.B.R.E. look like even bigger fools then after the now infamous “Floating Tea-leaves incidentâ€. Jubei and his people had ten days to complete their mission…

A week later, PSIS gained a point, or better, lost two against Pupuk Kaltim in a very dull game. In South Africa however, it was everything but dull. The SA Secret Service had found Moffi just as Jubei and his people were about to help him get away to Nigeria. In a matter of seconds, the barbershop had turned into a war zone, riddled with bullet holes. The police and secret service had sealed off the perimeter, making sure nobody would get out. Occasionally, the chatter of automatic weapons sounded from the barbershop as one of the guards fired a salvo of bullets at an overly interested policeman of secret agent. Sometimes, the police would return fire, but they weren’t aiming at anything and it was more a matter of hoping to get lucky. With neither side willing to surrender the stand down lasted until late into the night. More and more police turned up at the scene and it looked to the E.I.T.O.S. people camped out in the barbershop that they would force their way in before too long.

â€This isn’t getting us anywhere†Jubei muttered to Moffi. â€They’ll move in soon and then, it’s sayonara for us. We have to find a way out of here and fastâ€

â€There might be one, the sewer system runs through the tunnels below the backyard, there’s a secret entrance out there. But the police have snipers posted, we can’t get out that way†Moffi replied.

â€These snipers, where are they? How far away from each other are they?†Jubei asked with interest. If he could employ his mystical wind-walking technique to get to them and kill them before they’d even knew what hit them, they could escape through the sewers.

â€Let’s have a look†Moffi said. Together, they walked to the window and crouched near it. The shades were dropped, but you could see out from the inside if you looked at the right angle. Jubei saw two snipers, only a few meters apart on a rooftop across the street. That was all. He judged the distance to the roof. It was about forty-five yards. He could windwalk that no problem.

â€Okay, Jantu, here’s the plan. You and the guards fire a few salvo’s out the front while I windwalk to the rooftop there and take out the snipers. Thirty seconds after firing your last salvo, say the fifth or sixth, you take the guns and lead the guards to the tunnels and away through the sewersystem†Jubei said forcefully.

â€But what of the snipers?†Moffi enquired.

â€Don’t worry about them, I’ll take care of that. Now, let’s do it†Jubei said, before disappearing from the African’s gaze as if he disintegrated. Standing there, stunned for a few seconds, he realised that he had a job to do if he was going to get out of here alive. He ordered the guards to help him in firing a few salvos out the front window.

The windwalk technique is an ancient Japanese stealth running technique. It enables the samurai to walk virtually unseen and unheard. It takes years of practice to attain the skill, but once you have it, it’s invaluable as Jubei learned. He could move anywhere, without being noticed if he wanted to. Running across the backyard and into the street he looked up at the snipers. They hadn’t noticed him. Good. It wouldn’t do for him to get shot on this mission. His orders were clear. Get Moffi out and return home safely. It was his intention to do just that. He entered the building the snipers were on. Once inside, he drew his samurai sword from its sheath. Raising the blade, he proceeded up the stairs and onto the roof…

They heard the gunfire coming from across the street. The snipers looked at each other. It lasted longer then before.

â€Command, this is sniper-team 2, what’s going on over there?†the senior of the two snipers, Will Yatsee spoke into his microphone

â€Sniper-team 2, this is command, we have some activity here at the front. Just un-aimed gunfire it seems, stay alert†they both heard in their earpieces.

â€Roger that, Command. Standing byâ€

Just as he said that, Will felt a sharp pain in his neck. A moment later, everything went black as his spinal cord was severed by Jubei’s samurai blade. His younger colleague saw it happen, but by the time he realised what was actually going on, throat was slashed open from ear to ear. With the job done, Jubei looked across the street to see his friends escape out of the building and into the tunnels. He ran after them, leaving only the two dead bodies behind as evidence of his presence.

It took the police commander almost fifteen minutes to find out that his snipers weren’t responding on their radios. He sent out someone to check on them, only to be informed that they were both murdered. He ordered his men to storm the barbershop immediately, but as he feared, the building was deserted. The terrorists and the crime lord had managed to escape. They could be anywhere by now. It was not worth the effort to chase after them. He knew that one could disappear in Cape Town in just a few minutes. The people from S.A.B.R.E. would not be pleased with him. He’d probably be checking tourists on Robben Island in the future if he didn’t find out what had happened here tonight. But to be fair, he didn’t have the slightest clue what had been going on the past day…

Jubei and Mutti had no problem getting away. Within ten minutes of escaping the house, they were on a private plane to Nigeria. From there, Mutti went his own way, back to his people with the crime syndicate, while Jubei returned to Indonesia, where Max was watching his personal TV from behind his impressive desk. The news was reporting about the incident in South Africa. Back in England, MP’s were already demanding the resignation of S.A.B.R.E.’s top people. Of course, M wasn’t going to resign, but the country was in uproar. Down in South Africa, it was pretty much the same. Even Nelson Mandela was not happy with the matter and he demanded a thorough investigation of how the terrorists had managed to get away. Max had already readied a press statement, claiming that E.I.T.O.S. had been for both the sinking of the Disco Volante and for the escape of Jantu Mutti. He planned to release it as soon as the Indonesian league had drawn to an end.

There were just three games remaining for PSIS in the league. Max was hoping that they could claim the second place in the league, which was still possible. But another draw, 1-1 against Barito Putra made that a near impossible task. Nugroho had again opened the score for PSIS, but Barito had been the better side throughout the game and Gugun equalised for them in the second half. In fact, PSIS were lucky not to lose in the dying seconds of the game, when Kurniawan hit the crossbar with an empty goal at his mercy.

PSIS now needed a win against already-crowned champions PSM and against Petrokimia Putra in the final two games. PSM had fielded a second-rate team, which was swept off the pitch by PSIS. Weah scored twice in the first half to decide the 2-0 scoreline. And it could have been even worse for the champions if Luluk Apriyanto had not missed a penalty on the stroke of halftime. In the second half, neither team hardly made an effort, PSIS were happy to sit on their two goal cushion and PSM were not good enough to do anything about it. The final game was a bit of a disappointment for Max and his men. Despite going ahead after just three minutes, and into that second place for a while, they still lost against Petrokimia. Poor defending cost PSIS two goals and saw them drop down to fifth on the final league standings.

The Final League Standings

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Holders - PSM

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | C | PSM | | 38 | 22 | 6 | 10 | 74 | 58 | +16 | 72 |

| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Persija | | 38 | 21 | 8 | 9 | 74 | 37 | +37 | 71 |

| 3rd | | Persita | | 38 | 20 | 10 | 8 | 57 | 28 | +29 | 70 |

| 4th | | Persipura | | 38 | 19 | 11 | 8 | 66 | 42 | +24 | 68 |

| 5th | | PSIS | | 38 | 19 | 11 | 8 | 43 | 24 | +19 | 68 |

| 6th | | PSPS | | 38 | 21 | 4 | 13 | 83 | 52 | +31 | 67 |

| 7th | | Perseden | | 38 | 21 | 4 | 13 | 75 | 45 | +30 | 67 |

| 8th | | Petrokimia Putra | | 38 | 18 | 7 | 13 | 71 | 54 | +17 | 61 |

| 9th | | Semen Padang | | 38 | 18 | 5 | 15 | 68 | 63 | +5 | 59 |

| 10th | | Persib | | 38 | 17 | 6 | 15 | 54 | 44 | +10 | 57 |

| 11th | | Barito Putra | | 38 | 13 | 14 | 11 | 46 | 35 | +11 | 53 |

| 12th | | PSDS | | 38 | 14 | 6 | 18 | 52 | 50 | +2 | 48 |

| 13th | | Pelita | | 38 | 14 | 6 | 18 | 50 | 68 | -18 | 48 |

| 14th | | Persikota | | 38 | 12 | 11 | 15 | 51 | 56 | -5 | 47 |

| 15th | R | PSS | | 38 | 14 | 5 | 19 | 43 | 76 | -33 | 47 |

| 16th | R | Persijatim | | 38 | 12 | 7 | 19 | 53 | 59 | -6 | 43 |

| 17th | R | Pupuk Kaltim | | 38 | 8 | 12 | 18 | 39 | 59 | -20 | 36 |

| 18th | R | Arema | | 38 | 9 | 4 | 25 | 41 | 83 | -42 | 31 |

| 19th | R | Persik | | 38 | 9 | 2 | 27 | 32 | 90 | -58 | 29 |

| 20th | R | Deltras | | 38 | 7 | 5 | 26 | 42 | 91 | -49 | 26 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

The End of Season Player Stats

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

5th in Indonesian Premier Division

Squad Screen

| Pkd | Inf | Name | Apps | Gls | Asts | MoM | Pass | Tck | Drb | Sh Tar | Av R | Value|

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| | | Alfarizi, A | 0 (1) | 0 | 0 | 0 | - | - | - | - | 5.00 | €65K |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| | | Apriyanto, L | 35 | 2 | 11 | 1 | 70 % | 3.88 | 0.62 | 46 % | 6.66 | €14K |

| | Fgn | Bosnar, E | 36 | 2 | 0 | 4 | 79 % | 1.97 | 0.11 | 100 % | 6.78 | €150K|

| | | Budi, Y | 29 (4) | 5 | 2 | 2 | 70 % | 3.16 | 1.17 | 37 % | 7.09 | €26K |

| | | Daniel, K | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | ---- | €12K |

| | | Gunawan, I | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 85 % | - | - | - | 6.00 | €55K |

| | | Huda, N | 8 | 0 | 1 | 2 | 74 % | 4.81 | 0.87 | 33 % | 6.88 | €75K |

| | | I Komang Putra | 38 | 0 | 0 | 3 | 46 % | - | - | - | 6.66 | €75K |

| | | Indriyanto Nugroho | 13 | 7 | 1 | 1 | 66 % | 1.94 | 1.01 | 76 % | 6.85 | €230K|

| | | Irfan Junaidi | 25 (4) | 3 | 4 | 3 | 72 % | 3.22 | 1.45 | 57 % | 6.79 | €50K |

| | | Ismanto, H | 7 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 67 % | 2.29 | 0.71 | - | 6.57 | €100K|

| | | Karyono | 16 (3) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 70 % | 2.88 | 0.33 | 100 % | 6.42 | €28K |

| | | Nugroho, D | 34 | 1 | 2 | 0 | 75 % | 1.85 | 0.06 | 27 % | 6.76 | €65K |

| | | Purdjianto, E* | 35 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 77 % | 1.83 | 0.11 | 100 % | 6.80 | €130K|

| | | Rahman, A | 3 (2) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 54 % | 2.85 | 2.85 | - | 6.80 | €18K |

| | Wnt | Rifo, K | 0 (6) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 64 % | 5.39 | 0.41 | 50 % | 6.83 | €35K |

| | | Setiono, A | 4 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 77 % | 2.25 | 0.25 | - | 5.75 | €2K |

| | Wnt | Setyabudi, A* | 31 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 64 % | 2.31 | 0.84 | - | 6.65 | €45K |

| | | Sugianto | 24 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 63 % | 3.44 | 2.12 | 50 % | 7.25 | €50K |

| | | Sukmono, F | 16 (2) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 74 % | 2.40 | 0.78 | - | 6.72 | €35K |

| | | Vedayanto, T | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | ---- | €24K |

| | Fgn | Venegaz, J | 12 (5) | 8 | 0 | 2 | 70 % | 1.87 | 1.87 | 73 % | 7.12 | €375K|

| | Fgn | Weah, O* | 18 (7) | 4 | 8 | 5 | 61 % | 1.62 | 1.06 | 71 % | 7.08 | €325K|

| | | Yakin, K | 22 (8) | 7 | 3 | 1 | 66 % | 2.22 | 0.34 | 61 % | 6.40 | €40K |

| | | | | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

S.A.B.R.E. did not make a priority of finding Jantu Moffi after he fled to Nigeria. Although they suspected that he had gone there, they weren’t ready to send in any of their agents. Besides, it was S.M.A.S.H. territory and it would be their task to fix it. To be truthful, M didn’t really care about Nigeria. Apart from Jay-Jay Okocha and Nwanko Kanu, nothing useful had ever come out of the country anyway, he told himself. Not that he really cared about football, but John Steele seemed full of it. An avid Hearts supporter, Steele would travel to Tynecastle to watch every home game for his side. How could he afford that anyway? M thought to himself. It wasn’t like MI-6 was paying him heaps of salary. Could he be corrupt? Could that be why he didn’t find out anything about sinking of the Disco Volante? M was getting suspicious now. He’d have to look into that later, but first he had to inform the head of S.M.A.S.H. Juan Pablo Escobar about the escaped Moffi…

After the annual end of season awards show, where PSIS did not pick up any prizes, Max decided to go on a nice holiday. He felt he earned it after such a though season. After the heat in Indonesia, he decided it would be good to cool of some and he went to his secret evil holiday resort on the Ross Shelf, Antarctica. When he had finally chased all the penguins from his ice palace, he settled in and prepared for a nice holiday with his female bodyguard that would last until the start of the new season…

While Max was away on holiday, his trusted cronies Jubei and Red Ivan were in charge of the evil island and Yogyanto was left in charge of PSIS. While the evil island was pretty quiet, Yogyanto oversaw the signing of strikers Danny Kalebos and Nixon Nuboda and right winger Uston Nawawi. In addition to those pre-arranged transfers, he also acquired a new coach in Bonggo Pribadi. He also dismissed one of last season’s stars when he released Julio Venegaz on a free to make room for Honduran goalkeeper Noel Valladares. (Apparently, you can only have three foreigners in your squad icon_frown.gif) Yogyanto felt that with the new signings Nuboda and Kalebos, PSIS would have more then enough cover for the Chilean. Valladares signed, but cost Yogyanto a massive amount of wages, in addition to his 90k transfer fee. When Max returned from his holiday and saw his top scorer of last season released and a big amount of money spent on just one player, he was understandably not amused. But Jubei informed him that Yogyanto had the backing of the players, Max could not have him killed without serious consequences for his plan.

Back in Scotland

John Steele was not a happy man. Hearts had just crashed out of the UEFA Cup against Dinamo Tbilisi, despite a 2-1 win at home. Unfortunately, Hearts had lost the first game in the former Soviet republic by 3-1. And the league wasn’t much better either, Steele knew. He was starting to lose interest in football anyway. He was too busy with his “work†as well, so he hardly had a chance to watch games nowadays. He glanced at his watch as it started to beep.

â€Report to Universal Exports immediately, M will brief you there – Moneypenny†the display read.

â€Oh, that’s just grand†Steele muttered. He retrieved his Aston Martin from the parking lot and headed south to London…

A few hours later, Steele arrived in London, having added a new range of traffic fines to his collection in the glove compartment. It seemed to him that the police in this country didn’t know what Aston Martin’s are made for. Not that it really mattered, nobody had the balls to arrest him anyway. As always, Moneypenny was seated at her typewriter when John entered the room. She was in fact, typing so furiously that she didn’t notice him entering.

â€Hello†Steele said, announcing his presence. Moneypenny nearly fell off her seat from the shock.

â€Oh, hello John. Good to see you again. You’d best go right in, he’s waiting for you†she said before returning to her typing.

Steele glanced at the door with a raised eyebrow, but Moneypenny was back to her typing and didn’t notice him.

Right… Steele thought before heading through the door.

When he entered M’s office, he was surprised to see more people in the room. M was there, seated behind the great oak desk, and sitting across from him were Q and some Latin looking person, Steele noted.

â€Ah, here he is, welcome 006†M said almost too kindly, John thought.

â€What’s the urgency sir?†he asked with a hint of suspicion in his voice.

â€006, meet Juan de Avilla, S.M.A.S.H. liaison in Britain†M said, introducing the Latino with the dark hair and ditto eyes. Steele didn’t like him from the word go, but he couldn’t say that of course.

â€Iet ies a pleasure to miet joo Mr. Steele†he said with a think Spanish accent. Steele was actually quite surprised by the accent. He had figured that the liaison would speak near perfect English, but apparently not.

â€Now that you two have been formally introduced…†M said, taking control of the conversation once more. â€As we’re all aware, the disappearance of Jantu Moffi has been blown up into quite a scandal by the world-wide media. Both S.M.A.S.H. and we have been embarrassed by these reports. We have confirmed that Moffi had help from someone. Earlier this week, the BBC received a press statement from an organisation that calls itself E.I.T.O.S. They have claimed responsibility for both the sinking of the Disco Volante and the escape of Jantu Moffi. The BBC decided that it would be in the countries best interest if they did not publish this statement and rather send it to us. Which, incidentally was very nice of them†M explained.

â€What else do we know about this organisation?†Steele asked, curious now.

â€They are apparently an evil organisation and their goal is to disrupt the stability of the world by committing heinous crimes. Your task, 006, will be to find out where they are based and then to make an end to their evil plans. Q will hook you up with some gadgets later. First, Mr. de Avilla will have something to tell you†M said.

De Avilla spoke softly and John had trouble making out what he said exactly, also because of the thick accent, but apparently, they had reason to believe that the next crime would be committed in Australia, somewhere in a major eastern city.

Well, John thought to himself, That’s not a helluva lot to go on…

Authors Note: Thanks to everyone who voted for this stories award nomination and although it didn't win, I'm still proud of being nominated, Cheers icon_smile.gif

Back in Indonesia

Max stared hard into the eyes of his guest. The man’s weathered features showed the years of living in the Australian bush. Wanted criminals usually don’t live in a sunny seaside apartment Max reminded himself.

Michael “Mick†Hayes returned his host’s cold stare, his mind mulling over the proposition that this short, fat and bald guy had just put on the table. He wasn’t worried about the risks involved. He was already the most wanted man in the Oz for a while and wasn’t worried about the police running around trying to find him. In fact, he wasn’t worrying at all, he was thinking about the opportunities that this man could present him with.

â€All right then, mate. I’ll join in on this little plan of yours. But how do you exactly propose to move the damn thing? It’s huge for crying out loud!†Mick said

â€My scientists are already working on something, that’s all you need to know. Jubei here will show you to the hotel where you can stay until the preparations are finished. We’ll be meeting again, I’m sure†Max said with a smile, while he motioned for Jubei to carry out the order. As Jubei showed Hayes the door, Max leaned back in his chair, pondering his next evil plot.

Meanwhile, the Indonesian league was gearing up for the start of the new season in a few days time. Max made a mental note to make sure that Jubei had arranged for his team to be told what was expected of them. After a fifth place last season, it was now time to make a move for the top, Max knew.

The Indonesian bookies had PSIS at 16-1 to become champions, signalling that they didn’t believe that Max’ team was among the hot favourites for the title. Nonetheless, Max and his team got off to a good start. Semen Pagang were the first opponents of the season, and despite going 1-0 down, PSIS came out 3-1 victors at the end. Both debutant-strikers Nuboba and Kalebos scored, the latter twice.

The next game against PSM ended in a 1-1 draw and after that, PSIS lost 3-1 to Persija. Kalebos and Uston Nawawi, another of the new signings, guided PSIS past Persikota in the final game of the month with a goal each. PSIS were still in 8th place at the end of the month though, but Max was hoping his team could improve in February.

Archived