Finding my way in Football

mudsterman

GAME INFORMATION

This is a game running FM09 9.0.3. I am using the 9.0.3 database, with the only change being the 'Germany Fix' (for information on this, please PM me (I presume SI don't ming this?) or google 'Football Manager fake.inc as it can not be discussed on the official forums.). I am running England down to league two (fourth tier), France, Germany, Portugal and Holland down to thire second tiers and the top leagues from Spain, Italy and Scotland. All leagues are playable bar Italy and Spain. (I wanted them loaded for the players, staff, to view the league, make them competitive in the transfer market and Europe, etc. but I do not want to play there because of the B-team and Co-Ownership bugs ruining the experience. :( ). I started with experiance set to 'Automatic'.

Please note that I do not have 24/7 internet access, or even access to FM as I am a schoolboy with seperated parents and there is not a PC with the 'net or the ability to run FM at my Mum's house. Therefore posting may not be a consistent thing. Also, this is my first story so please be patient and any tips on the writing side of things are very welcome, as long as any critisism is constructive.

7th July 2008

Hi there peeps. My name is Adam Smith (NB: Not IRL). Plain I know, but I like it. Simple and traditional. Sums me up really. Back in the day, I was a young footy star, I'll have you know. Was in the academy at Tottenham, and then came the season - the season where I was bought into the side. I was thrust in the deep end after a long chain of injuries, and ended up playing ten games straight. Would have been more, if not for getting done by some goons. Goons as in Arsenal. The scum. We were 2-0 up in the derby at the Lane, adn unfortunatly thire centre mid who had done feck all all game, went in two footed. On me. I'll never forget that challenge, most likely because it ended my oh so promising career at the tender age of 19.

So here I am now. for the many years since that day, I have been living the life of a normal man. A good life - I had a fair bit in the bank to get me started after my short career, plus compensation, and I had got good school grades so I ended up studying buisness at University and get a job as an actury. Well payed. But I never lost my enthusiasm for footie. Never. For many a long, hard and ultimatly dissapointing season, I saw every Spurs match, home and away, and roared my heart out from the Park Lane end with the clubs most loyal fans at every home tie, be it Arsenal or Stevenage, West Ham or Kettering, I was there.

A couple years back I did my coaching badges, and now I want to use them. There are bound to be some jobs floating around this season, same as ever - and I would just love to make one mine.

(NB: I have gone on holiday 'indefinatly' in-game, with it set to apply for all jobs and return from holiday when offered one.)

17th October 2009

3 months and 10 days since I decided to try and get into management. 11 applications. 0 offers. Granted, I was never going to get Stuttgart, PSV or Ajax and it was still early days. I guess I had been a bit on the naive side, thinking I could get a job so soon. I crashed down on the sofa, and turned on Sky Sports News

I thought nothing was happening on the jobs front. They had gaols from league two, an interview with Ferguson and were talking to Jimmy Bullard about his lateest injury.

However, after five minutes, I saw at the bottom of the screen that Dutch second-division club Helmond Sport had parted company with manager Jurgen Streppel. As usual, I went on the internet and scoured it for a telephone number or e-mail adress or whatever other contact information. I was slightly annoyed at the simplicity after I finally got an e-mail address. helmondsport@hotmail.de . Typical. Anyway, I did my usaul and sent them my CV in the fleeting hope they were completely desperate.

18th October 2009.

Oh. My. God. This is unbelieveable. I got a message in my Google-Mail account today;

Dear Mr. Smith,

This is in response to your job application dated 17th October. We are pleased to inform you that you have made a shortlist for the job of Helmond Sport manager. As we realise that you live a fair distence from the club, we would like to invite you for a telephone interview on the following number:

We hope to hear a responce shortly.

Yours,

Theo van Krooneberg

Chairman, Helmond Sport.

I did a wikipedia search for the team. They participate in the 'Jupilar Eerste Division', the second division of Holland. They play thire matches at the De Braak in Helmond, a stadium built in 1967, with no under-soil heating system and a capacity of 4174, all-seated.The really apealling thing though, was the Dutch League system. The league winners got promoted and the bottom team from the Erediviseie was relegated, but the play-off system was very different to the English one. The 16th and 17th place teams from the Erediviseie qualifiy, along with the winners of the six stages of the Eerste Division. The stages each consisted of six games, IE rounds 1-6, 7-12, etc. Then, at the end of the season, the top two teams who did not win the overall league or a stage were also entered. If a team who had already won one stage won another, then the second placed team from the most recent stage would qualify instead, and so on. What all this meant is if a club can put a good run of form together, they could end up in a 10-team playoff where two teams are promoted. I also found that you could not be relegated.

I alter phoned for my interview. I found out the following:

The team was out of the Dutch Cup

They were rivals with PSV and FC Eindhoven

The board had wanted the team to reach the playoffs, but they would not be too disheartened if I now missed out following thire poor start

They were slightly over thire wage budget, but it was a small amount whgich they could live with.

I was the only applicant.

I could have £1000 a week and a free flight.

They wanted me to start tommorow.

19th October 2009

I arrived at my new job today and was greeted by assistent manager Frank van Kempem. He informed me that he thought I had a very good squad, and the star man was Marc Hocher, a 24 year old Dutch right-midfielder who would be a leading star in the top division. The captain was Robert van Westerop and the vice Sidney Lammens, something I would kee the same for now.

One thing I did want to bring in was seperate training schedules for the various positions. I felt this was highly importent as it stopped Centre Backs learning how to cross and other stuff that just wasn't needed in certain areas of the pitch.

On my assistents reccomendation, I also promoted Len Koeman and Wesley Hordemboen to the first team.

I found that Westerop was out injured for three weeks, Uneken for five to nine days and Velasco was back in training, expected to recover fully in five to eleven days.Looking at my team, I found that I had only one man who could play at left-midfield (I intended to go for a 4-4-2), and was also short at full-back with only one man on each side plus one who could play at either. Also, one of my two GKs is injured and I expect I will have to name one of my youth or reserve players on the bench for my first game away to rivals Eindhoven in 2 days time

20th October 2009

I met the media for the 1st time today, and tried not to give much away but conceding I would aim to play in an attacking manner. I was also told that my star-man, Hocher, was out of form, but I refused to comment as I had no idea about his previous matches. I also selected my team for tommorows match so that the unused players could play for the reserves.

21st October 2009

FC EINDHOVEN VS HELMOND SPORT

I lined up with an attacking 4-4-2 and told my men to go out and get a result for the supporters, but we started vert badly and Eindhoven had three clear scoring chances, but they were somehow all missed. However, in the 32nd minute, Lammens fed Hocher down the right, his cross was poorly defended and Overtoom was at the far post to stick it in. Hardly a great goal, but it was my first in management and I was jumping up and down, screaming like a madman in the dugout. My joy was unfortunatly short lived though, as five minutes later, a poor clearence and even worse marking meant that Serhat was able to score into an open goal. The opening moements off the second half resembled those of the first, with Eindhoven missing several great oppourtunities. But in the 53rd minute, Nelemans of Eindhoven underpowered his header back to the goalie and it fell into the path of Paardekooper, who drew it back for De Bock to slot home. 1-2.

This was followed by an uneventful spell, but Barneveld was 'fouled' in the box after 77 minutes and tucked home the penalty. 2-2

Eindhoven if anything deserved more but they wern't gonna get, as Jansen cobtrolled a lonf ball four minutes into injury time, beat two men and swept the ball into the bottom corner.

I think I might like this management lark!

I have decided this is a bit too time-consuming and so will only produce reports like above for importent matches. Most will just have the scoreline, scorers and goal times reported.

Remember, any feedback on this is greatly appreciated as it helps me improve my writing and lets me know if people are enjoying the storie.

22nd October 2008

I today decided to release Rutten, van Dijik, Leferink and Aslan from thire youth contracts as my staff were of the opinion they did not have the potential to make it in this division and they were eating up part of my small wage budget.

24th October 2008

Helmond Sport 4

Ronald Hikspoors 21

Dirk van Dirksen 28

Kari Arkivuo OG 51

Ronald Hikspoors 56

Go Ahead 1

Guus Joppen OG 6

Attendance: 2875

My first home game continues my good start with us trouncing GA. I have noticed that we nearly always play on friday nights, and occasionaly tuesdays for some reason.

Sidney Lammens (DLRC) is out for 3-4 weeks.

FC Den Bosch 0

Matusiwa S/O 28

Helmond Sport 1

De Bock pen 82

This was an even game and bosch were very unlucky. They had a goal controverially disallowed, the red card was debatable and my penalty was from a situation where we were never going to score. Still, we pulled off a shock against one of this leagues big boys.

Re-reading this I agree with the comments that have been made and thank you for your input. TBH, I think I 'bit off more than I could chew', and will most likely not be continueing this story, so I would appreciate it if a moderator could close this thread. What I may do is a story based on international management, with fewer matches, but I would look to write some up in MS Word first to make sure it is the right thing for me. Sorry for wasting your time.

Archived