Hitzlsperger

i personally would play him in as a center midfielder; especially because his tackling and positioning is suspect. his passing might not be good enough for a CM, but his good decision making ability should hopefully compensate effectively.

in that case, it would depend on your defensive and attacking options in midfield. if you have a better attacking minded midfielder, then play him as the more defensive. moreover, if he is the best attacking and creative midfielder in your squad, then play him in the more attacking role.

hope that helps.

As an MCd, I think he should be able to ping the balls all over the pitch (deep lying playmaker ala Veloso/Xavi/Fab) or be an out and out DM like Palombo. I don't really know what the standard of the German league is, so if you think he can do a job at being a deep lying playmaker (composure, decent right foot, creativity, decent passing and good decisions) you should go on and employ him as a MCd.

With all due respect to the player himself, he's not very fast or very intelligent (anticipation and positioning) on the game, so breaking up play might be bit of a bother.

If you use him as an MCa, with a 10 in dribbling (hopefully decision making will compensate), I'm not sure how it would go but the rest of the stats look good. He will also have a good chance of putting some in from long range.

My pick in short - MCa.

Doesn't really suit either role for me. At a push, I'd play him as an MCa but not one who goes too far forward - ideally he'd be fairly static, holding the ball up in space to pick his passes or unleash a rocket. Getting him that space might be tricky though which is why a deep-lying playmaker like Tejawski suggests would tempt me as an idea in a 4-5-1 variant (eg 4-2-3-1).

Interesting player, he seems suited for commanding a congested midfield battle with his Composure, Teamwork, Decisions, Concentration, Strength and First Touch. The battle would have to be brought to him though as he works well in a unit but lacks the relevant attributes to break up the opponents game through his own intelligence or commitment. A rather solid but timid and blinkered wall.

I´ve had him for 4 seasons now at Hoffenheim and even though he´s clearly not as talented as other players i could have had he´s still starting most games and doing very well as a defensive minded MC. He´s basically my "comander" in the midfield, doing a bit of everything without making mistakes (highest passing completion 3 out of 4 seasons). Basically his job in my team is to get the ball to the other 2 guys in my midfield that are supposed to make the big plays : Carlos Eduardo at AMC (dribbling, attacking the goal) and a highly skilled Regen (20 years old) at the other MC spot (play a 3-4-1-2).

Also plays in LM at times when i defend a lead, plays good clearing passes.

And then there´s his long shot ability that is good for quite a few goals every year in my system as i get a lot of rebounds just outside the penalty area and other teams play deep against me, having 5 midfielders also helps to get open shot opportunities.

So basically as a MC that rarely goes up front, plays direct or short passes and has the green light to shoot.

I'd play him as a 'neutral' midfielder in a midfield 3 along with a more attacking and a more defensive midfielder.

OR on the left side of a tight midfield diamond.

Archived