Help, I cant crack 09!!

I love FM ever since the days of CM but this new one is making me lose interest. Normally i play in prem as spurs, man u, chelsea and a couple of others. it took a few attempts to become succesfull but findinding and using the right tactic effectively has helped me win leagues and euro cups with the likes of spurs and everton.

I also like trying to get championship teams into prem and have had lots of success in previous years with the likes of Norwich, sheff wed and Palace. However, for some reason, i cant do this on 09. I cant find a tactic that works, i cant find a consistent 20 goals + striker and have never finished in the top half even with the likes of reading, wolves or brum. What am i doing wrong?

A link to a succesfull proven tactic on 9.0.2 or 9.0.3, or a st suggestion would be greatfully appreciated to help me enjoy FM09 again. at the mo, championship is just too hard and none of my succesfull prem tactics have worked.

Please Help!

I haven't been playing the game much until recently and I believe I have sussed it out. Pay attention to the assistants feedback as a game progresses. I add the assistants feedback widget to the match screen to keep an eye on it and pay close to the last 15 minutes.

If a player is skinned reduce his closing down by 1.

If a player is missing interceptions raise his closing down by 1.

If short passes aren't working raise it by 1.

If direct passes aren't working lower by 1.

Keep adjusting the sliders gradually until the comment has gone. The opposition are adjusting so expect new things to need tweaking throughout the match. Also, it seems to work well to listen to the assistants advice for opposition instructions and new suggestions are given as the match continues.

There are more scenarios as well as these. These can also be observed from the match view. You will need a basic solid tactic but will need to tweak as you go as the game progresses.

I'm second with Tottenham in the first season after around 25 games which I think is pretty good.

Tell me what formation and team you want to use and, i will help make you a simple to use and effective tactic.

I fancy being norwich or QPR and playing a 442 formation. Is there not a universal tactic that doesn't need too much tweaking for champ teams?

In the prem i use GKnapps 442 (98 points i think) and it seems to work succesfully for most top half prem teams.

As i said it wont work for champ teams tho, There must be a tactic out there that gets Norwich into the prem??

Tell me what formation and team you want to use and, i will help make you a simple to use and effective tactic.
98pts is a very old tactic - have you tried the 107pts with away tactic?

Not yet, was always succesfull with 98, never felt the need to change. I'll try it with QPR on 9.0.3

Thanks

I haven't been playing the game much until recently and I believe I have sussed it out. Pay attention to the assistants feedback as a game progresses. I add the assistants feedback widget to the match screen to keep an eye on it and pay close to the last 15 minutes.

If a player is skinned reduce his closing down by 1.

If a player is missing interceptions raise his closing down by 1.

If short passes aren't working raise it by 1.

If direct passes aren't working lower by 1.

Keep adjusting the sliders gradually until the comment has gone. The opposition are adjusting so expect new things to need tweaking throughout the match. Also, it seems to work well to listen to the assistants advice for opposition instructions and new suggestions are given as the match continues.

There are more scenarios as well as these. These can also be observed from the match view. You will need a basic solid tactic but will need to tweak as you go as the game progresses.

I'm second with Tottenham in the first season after around 25 games which I think is pretty good.

Not sure why I gave some tips since you just want a plug and play tactic.

I'm all for your help, I do use the sliders in game and use the advice of my AM. This isn't the problem tho, i've applied this to my championship saves in the same way I do my prem saves, as I said, its the formation and tactic that doesn't seem to get the results. This is what i'm saying. I've spent time building my own tactics, and tried other peoples, both of which seem to work fine with prem teams. So why not in championship. And one of the things I like about this game is the detail and time you can spend on it but also the fact that you can, if you want plug and play. I do both depending on what mood i'm in.

I too found it really frustrating, I played as Preston.

They had a decent team and on paper had the look of a play off side, certainly mid table. I manged my first season one place outside the relegation zone. Scraped it.

Second season brought in some good players whilst losing dead weight, again looked good for a mid table finish. Relegated!!!

Culled the squad and replaced players with above average (for League 1 anyways) players. 10 games in, relegation position. Fired.

Now at Bury and want to push forward but suddenly getting the exact same reults.

Very, very frustrating!!!!!

Have you tried turning off all forward runs, setting all player options to rarely with lowish creative freedom and tweaking from there? Perhaps the lower quality players need to be limited in what they are allowed to do?

I played 3/4 of a season with Leeds on previous patches and found it too easy but I did start off from a base like I suggested above and gradually players more choices. The idea was to build a solid unit that passed the ball well and to monitor their movement before adding runs, dribbling, crossing and through balls.

My first reply was in regards to me re-reading your opening post and last paragraph where you asked for a tactic and I felt silly responding with the tips I did; I didn't make that completely clear.

So still with Bury, seem to be drawing more games than losing and winning. Still losing more than winning mind.

I think one problem which is inherited from my Preston game is I concede early a lot.

Any advice?

I had same problem in a norwich game after being relegated to league 1, lots of early goals conceded. I took away farrows from full backs and put forward runs to rarely, it tightened things up a bit but i still struggled to score so had lots of 1 - 0 defeats, 0-0's 1-1's but still it was rare to get a win.

Annoyingly, my pc at home has decided not to work so cant even try out any of these suggestions on my new QPR game. Hope I'm not caught writing this cheeky post at work!!

Archived