[FM09] From Hong Kong With Love

Raware

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keep the updates in the same format Raware, they're different and good to look at and read :thup:
I agree with hamilton162. Love the format, I would be against changing it :)
keep the same

Ok guys, thanks for your opinions. It really does help me in deciding what to do. So, i'll take your suggestions and carry on with my existing format. Much appreciated :thup:

Unfortunately, i couldn't fit everything i wanted on the update i.e. our UEFA Cup progress, so i'll just summarise here. We went out!

After finishing top of group A we were drawn against Ajax where unfortunately we lost the 1st leg 2-0 at their place. The 2nd leg was a little closer and despite winning, it just wasn't enough and we ended up losing 4-3 on agg. :(

I took some consolation though in that they reached the final where they lost on penalties to Inter.

UEFA Cup 1st Leg v Ajax

UEFA Cup 2nd Leg v Ajax

Great career story and i love the newspaper style updqates.

Am i right in saying you are now 50 years old?

I was wondering if you feature in the managers hall of fame and if so how high?

Congratualtions on winning back the SPL Title Raware :thup: Fantastic updates as usual

Are you going to leave the Gers for Dortmund?

Cheers Hamilton :thup:

You'll find out in my next update ;)

Great career story and i love the newspaper style updqates.

Am i right in saying you are now 50 years old?

I was wondering if you feature in the managers hall of fame and if so how high?

Yeah, i'm 51 now in FM :(

As for the Hall of Fame, the only list i feature on is the Northern Ireland list where i sit 10th on 30 points after winning 2 major domestic cups and 2 domestic titles. I sit on 72 points in Scotland after winning, again 2 major domestic cups and 2 domestic titles but don't make the top 10. I don't sit anywhere in England as i haven't won a major trophy. Overall i have 102 points. So, still a long way to go yet.

I know off topic is discouraged and certain people have 'views' about this forum being a place of 'backslapping and well done's' (which is not at all what this forum is about), and i more than anybody are not bothered about post views/counts, (i've been a member of these boards for 5 years and only have 770 posts so that says something) but can i just say thanks to the people who have voted on my thread :thup: It's nice to know that people enjoy reading about my experiences on FM and enjoy the way i portray that in my updates. :thup:

I absolutely love this career, I've always found that when I moved clubs I would wish I hadn't and was still at the old one where I had everything set-up like the backroom staff, balance of squad for each position etc. and eventually just start a new game which means I would never get as far into a game as you which is something I've always wanted to do to see what changes happen in this alternative football world :p I also want to echo what others have said and that I really like the style of your updates. Good luck at Dortmund!

I thought you'd go, it's another step up. Good Luck at Dortmund, i hope you do well this year and win something. That's a heck of a lot of new players

Yeah, the offer was just too good to turn down. Like you said, it's another step up on the managerial ladder and seemed the next logical step in my career. Plus, it was getting tough having to rebuild my squad every year at Rangers due to players wanting to leave.

Dortmund finished 6 points above relegation last year so their squad was very weak. When i saw the team i knew it needed a massive overhaul if they were to have any chance of qualifying for Europe so that's why there was so many players in and out.

Maybe now you won't need to rebuild the team so often when the players get "too big for their boots" as had happened at Rangers.

I'm hoping for that. It was beginning to annoy me that every year, basically my whole squad were wanting to leave.

I absolutely love this career, I've always found that when I moved clubs I would wish I hadn't and was still at the old one where I had everything set-up like the backroom staff, balance of squad for each position etc. and eventually just start a new game which means I would never get as far into a game as you which is something I've always wanted to do to see what changes happen in this alternative football world. I also want to echo what others have said and that I really like the style of your updates. Good luck at Dortmund!

Thanks Precision Glad you like the updates. The only club i sometimes wonder if i should of stayed at is Lurgan Celtic, just to see if i could've made them into another version of Nep's wonder Knockbreda team :D.

Raware, you're an absolute cad!

After bemoaning the players leaving Rangers every year (and not sticking around to say cheerio to another 20 this year LOL) you go and pillage my old club Paranaense for one of their starlets

Have Dortmund got rid of their debt yet? Surely they have.

If you can't beat them...join them :D. It was getting tough having to rebuild my squad every year. But, you're right...once again, half of the team have left, so it made my decision to leave Rangers a bit easier. As for raiding Paranaense, sorry, it had to be done. He came very highly recommended by my scouts and was a snip at £2.8M.

Yeah, Dortmund are now out of debt...in fact we still have £30M in the bank.

Just a question Raware, how do you always seem to find all these signings? Whenever I get far into my game I always have trouble finding good regens to fill the gaps.

I send my scouts out and they come back with the suggestions, then depending on their recommendations i either sign them or not. They're not always great recommendations though as i've found out with some pretty poor signing's at times. As i'm 20+ years down the line now i have to rely on my scouts as there are no 'real' players left so without them i'd be lost. I try to play as realistically as possible and what has helped me in my career is the fact that i managed in UK league's. For example - I managed in N.Ireland first then when i went to Scotland i signed a fair few players from N.Ireland as i knew the players from that league from my previous experience's. Then when i went to England i signed players from Scotland who i knew would cut the mustard in England. Then when i went to Rangers and Dortmund, the scouting networks are much better due to the size of the clubs which allowed me to send the scouts further a field. Out of all of the signing's i've made though, there has only been 3 or 4 i would say who were actually very good and all of those were signed when i was at Rangers. I can take no credit for those as it was my scouts who found them.

Just to let people know (i have stated it in my opening post) that i've had to use FMRTE to change the injury status' of 2 players as both players were out injured at the beginning of the 2032/33 season, 1 with a broken leg and 1 with a broken foot, yet 4 months had passed with their injury status' still at "awaiting treatment" despite me having 2 physio's. It seems it's a bug within the game and this was the only option to correct the bug. Rest assured this is the only edit i have made in my current save, any other edit's would only be cheating myself.

Congrats on being a 5 star rated thread Raware. You deserve it for sure, I think than most other posters on this forum. Me included :D (No offence meant to anyone here)

Borussia Dortmund ? No more Jan Koller I suppose!

Wow. Good luck at Dortmund Raware!

Hope you can bring Dortmund to global domination of the world LOL! :D

Thanks Rancer. I think i'm still a long way off global domination :D but hopefully now i'm at a decent size club, i might have a chance of some real silverware.

Congrats on being a 5 star rated thread Raware. You deserve it for sure, I think than most other posters on this forum. Me included (No offence meant to anyone here)

Borussia Dortmund ? No more Jan Koller I suppose!

Cheers Sax It's nice to know that people enjoy my updates and the format that i use.

As for Jan Koller...he's a distant memory now. He's not even in the game anymore. Shame really, i think he was one of the biggest players i've ever seen. As a centre half myself, he would've been my worst nightmare! He wasn't like Crouch who gets knocked off the ball easily, he was a beast, built like a brick ****house.

well done raware keep going i have read from the beggining and must say you are great at fm i also like your updates on the teams you have left so keep thaat going too!!!. i never do more than 2/3 seasons for some reason but oh well any chance of seeing how well newcastle and port vale have/are doing?

Just caught up-to-date :)

great first half of the season.

I think your format is one of the best in the careers section. You deserve the rating.:thup:

Cheers Welsh Wizard Glad you're enjoying the read. I was really pleased with the first half of the season, especially considering last year and the new players that have come in this year. They've settled really quickly and are playing the football that i want to see.

well done raware keep going i have read from the beggining and must say you are great at fm i also like your updates on the teams you have left so keep thaat going too!!!. i never do more than 2/3 seasons for some reason but oh well any chance of seeing how well newcastle and port vale have/are doing?

Thanks bennufc I always try and play long term games so it's something i'm used to, i very rarely play 'quick games'.

I'll be posting a 25 year update soon so i'll take requests then. I'll post Newcastle's and Port Vale's progress there.

If you have to many clubs in this save Raware, they may take over half the page! ;)

Good job at Dortmund, and a little question, How dominant have Bayern Munich been over the years?

Ha ha! I know! I may have to start a new page just for my old clubs!

Bayern haven't really dominated Germany, they've won a few titles.

That's brilliant progress Raware. Going for the title next year?

I'm not sure about that. Bayern and Schalke are really strong as are Hoffenheim who surprisingly struggled this year, so i'll be happy with another top 3 or 4 finish next year. Then maybe a push for the title.

What basic formation do you use? Have you built all of your teams around the same tactics?

I use a 4-1-3-2 and have basically used that throughout my FM career with slight variations e.g. Wide, defensive, attacking, slow/fast tempo etc. I've tried other formations but find using this formation, especially with the anchor man in midfield brings me most success.

I've just tried this recently with a bit of success. I've always played 41221 with wide wingers but losing faith with it now. Do you use tactic 'sets' or just home and away? I have a two basic setups for if I'm favourites or underdogs and also depending on the weather I'll change the passing.

What are your ideas on Player Menality? I've had lots of good results using 'Rule of one' setups in the lower leagues but it never clicks for me in the championship level upwards.

Nice one Raware. A hefty capacity expansion too. I'm sad to see Eintracht out the top flight though.

On a side note, how have you found the registration rules in Germany? Has it interfered with squad fitness, or do you think it might interfere with bringing on regens? These are my two worries about a Germa save, which I actually quite fancy.

Sorry for OT mate, bt trying to help someone -

I've just tried this recently with a bit of success. I've always played 41221 with wide wingers but losing faith with it now.

Bigshow, have you tried my set (just search 'Prandelli' and it'll turn up)from the tactic section? I love that 41221 (I still call it 433 LOL) shape and never play anything else. I'm currently 4th with Fluminense who have a media prediction of 7th and won the Brazilian cup in my first year; had a 3 season unbeaten run with Inter too. If you've tried it and don't like it fair enough; if not I'll upload my current version to filefront for you.

Brilliant read Raware. I'm fairly new to this forum, and this thread has proved very popular, so I thought I'd have a look and it has been brilliant. The updates you give are 2nd to non.

I've also found your little updates on Lurgan Celtic and your other previous clubs a good addition, I feel fairly attatched to Lurgan Celtic and hope they do well :D *how sad of me*

KUTGW and good luck with Dortmund !

I've just tried this recently with a bit of success. I've always played 41221 with wide wingers but losing faith with it now. Do you use tactic 'sets' or just home and away? I have a two basic setups for if I'm favourites or underdogs and also depending on the weather I'll change the passing.

What are your ideas on Player Menality? I've had lots of good results using 'Rule of one' setups in the lower leagues but it never clicks for me in the championship level upwards.

I mainly have home and away tactics of 4-1-3-2 as i see no point in trying to over complicate things. Maybe if i'm up against a big team away from home i'll change to a defensive variation of 4-1-3-2 or maybe even a 5-4-1. It depends on what my scout reports back on and what players are available to me. As for player mentality, i used rule of one in the lower league's but like you, when i reached the higher league's i found it didn't work as well so i changed it to individual mentality which seems to be working quite well now.

Nice one Raware. A hefty capacity expansion too. I'm sad to see Eintracht out the top flight though.

On a side note, how have you found the registration rules in Germany? Has it interfered with squad fitness, or do you think it might interfere with bringing on regens? These are my two worries about a Germa save, which I actually quite fancy.

Sorry for OT mate, bt trying to help someone -

Yeah, i was a little surprised when they announced the stadium expansion but i'm not complaining :D. Eintracht have been out of the top flight for 13 seasons now. There's been a few surprising relegations in Germany including HSV and Werder in the past few years.

I've actually found the regestration rules in Germany to be very good. There's no foreigner rule, as long as i register the players i want by the end of August then i'm ok. The only problem maybe, like you said, bringing on regens, but there's another opportunity to register in January if i think some regens are ready to make the step up. Overall though i'm happy with the registration policy.

No worries about OT, if it helps people then it's all good.

Good job Raware.

The 107797 stadium must be a monster. I see you mentioned the 80000 crowd but what is your average attendance during the season?

Cheers WH. The highest attendance of the season was 80686 against Bayern, which was only 22 seats off full capacity. The average this year was 77311 which was the highest ever, so maybe that's the reason behind the expansion.

Brilliant read Raware. I'm fairly new to this forum, and this thread has proved very popular, so I thought I'd have a look and it has been brilliant. The updates you give are 2nd to non.

I've also found your little updates on Lurgan Celtic and your other previous clubs a good addition, I feel fairly attatched to Lurgan Celtic and hope they do well :D *how sad of me*

KUTGW and good luck with Dortmund !

Cheers saulty. Glad you're enjoying the read and have found this forum. There are many other great threads here which i'm really enjoying reading.

It's funny how when you read up on a team or play with a team in FM you become 'attached'. I played as Elfsborg a few FM's ago and still find myself looking for their scores now.

25 years on...

After reaching the point in my current save where i am 25 years into the future, i thought it would be interesting to take a look at who has won what.

International

African Cup of Nations

Asian Nations Cup

Confederations Cup

Copa America

European Championships

Gold Cup

Oceania Nations Cup

Olympic Games

World Cup

Worldwide

Club World Championship

Asia

Asian Champions League

Asian Confederation Cup

Asian Presidents Cup

East Asian Champions Cup

Europe

UEFA Champions League

UEFA Cup

UEFA Super Cup

China

Super League

First Division

Chinese FA Cup

Chinese All Star Game

England

Barclays Premier League

Coca-Cola Championship

Coca-Cola League One

Coca-Cola League Two

Blue Square Premier

Blue Square North

Blue Square South

FA Cup

Carling Cup

Community Shield

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

Carlsberg FA Trophy

Setanta Shield

France

Ligue 1

Ligue 2

French National

Coupe de France

Coupe de la Ligue

Trophee des Champions

Germany

Bundesliga

Bundesliga 2

German Cup

Holland

Eredivisie

Jupiler League

Dutch Cup

Johan Cruijff Schaal VII (Dutch Super Cup)

Hong Kong

Cool Point First Division

Hong Kong FA Cup

Hong Kong League Cup

Hong Kong Senior Challenge Shield

Hong Kong Canton Interport Cup

Ireland

Irish Premier Division

Irish First Division

Irish League Cup

Irish Ford Cup

Irish Munster Senior Cup

Setanta Cup

Italy

Serie A

Serie B

Italian Cup

Italian Super Cup

Northern Ireland

JJB Sports Premiership

IFA Championship

IFA Interim League

JJB Sports Irish Cup

CIS Insurance Cup

WKD Intermediate Cup

Belfast Telegraph Intermediate League Cup

Mid Ulster Cup

County Antrim Shield

Steel & Sons Cup

Scotland

Clydesbank Premier League

Irun Bru First Division

Irun Bru Second Division

Irun Bru Third Division

Scottish Cup

CIS Insurance Cup

League Challenge Cup

Spain

La Liga BBVA

La Liga adelante

Spanish Cup

Super Copa

Spanish Federation Cup

Sweden

Allsvensken

First Division Elite

Swedish Cup

Svenska Supercupen

Turkey

Premier Division

First Division

Fortis Cup

Super Kupa

Wales

Premier League

Welsh Cup

Welsh Premier League Cup

Player Awards

Record Transfers

World Player of the Year 2005-2018

World Player of the Year 2019-2032

World Footballer of the Year 2007-2019

World Footballer of the Year 2020-2032

European Footballer of the Year 2005-2018

European Footballer of the Year 2019-2032

Asian Player of the Year 2007-2019

Asian Player of the Year 2020-2032

Requests

Newcastle United league progress

Port Vale league progress

Norwich City league progress

York City league progress

Australia hosted the World Cup!

Out of curiousity what stadiums were used?

I'm not big on Australian football so i'm not sure which stadiums are real and which are new stadiums in my save. There was 10 stadiums used, those being -

Stadium Australia, Sydney

Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney

Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne

St. Geroge Stadium, Sydney

Telstra Stadium, Melbourne

Energy Australia Stadium, Newcastle

Melbourne Football Stadium, Melbourne

Adelaide Oval, Adelaide

Subiaco Oval, Perth

Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

...with the final held at Stadium Australia, Sydney.

Australia also failed to qualify as they finished bottom of their group on 1 point behind Scotland, USA and Peru.

Raware I don't remember, have you got S. America loaded or with DDTs? They've only one 1 CWC.

No, i've not got any South American league's loaded, i don't know if that's maybe the reason behind Europe's domination of the CWC. :confused:

DDTs? :confused:

DDTs? :confused:

Files to add to the database so you get regens in the countries you haven't loaded. I normally just load the one country, but I'll have 20-40 DDTs in there depending on the type of game I have in mind. It helps to keep the game world competitive across the board.

EDIT: http://www.ddtgenerator.co.uk/ I made individual ones and have them all in the DB, then it's just a matter of selecting the ones you want in the extra files option when you start a new game. But you can make a single file with however many you want in it.

Files to add to the database so you get regens in the countries you haven't loaded. I normally just load the one country, but I'll have 20-40 DDTs in there depending on the type of game I have in mind. It helps to keep the game world competitive across the board.

EDIT: http://www.ddtgenerator.co.uk/ I made individual ones and have them all in the DB, then it's just a matter of selecting the ones you want in the extra files option when you start a new game. But you can make a single file with however many you want in it.

Ah, no i don't have any DDTs. I didn't even know what they were until you just told me :o I presume you can only add them when you start a new game? You can't add them once you've started? I didn't load any extra players from nations when i started. Although i've seen a few good regens from lesser countries e.g. Armenia, Pakistan, etc.

Yes, just when you start a new game.

They're great because they don't take up much resources on your system (I don't notice anything at all). And you get more regens and keep nations/club a bit more competitive.

EDIT: as an example, in my Fluminense save I have DDTs for the eight countries (other than Brazil) who play in the continental competitions; maybe around the top 20 countries in the world according to current FIFA standings when I started the game; and maybe another half dozen countries that have a decent history or had a good showing in a tournament at some point. I also try to make sure there's a couple from each confederation.

I choose to retain the top league from each of these, rather than the whole country.

Archived