The Restoration of Glory

-Xenon-

I'm sorry to say that this story is going to have to be put on hold again. icon_frown.gif

The game its based on is on my home computer and I'm headed back off to uni. Due to my computer being a lump of crap, I haven't been able to put it on to my laptop.

I've got some other ideas for new stories, so hopefully I'll be a bit more active around the forum, but this one has to be shelved for the moment at least.

But trust me it will be finished eventually, solely for my own benefit if not for anyone else's, as these series of tales are my pride and joy! icon_wink.gif

• 1 month later...

Brazil vs. Argentina

Wednesday 8th June 2016

World Cup Qualifier (SAM)

Antonio Vespucio Liberti, Buenos Aires

We arrived in a sweltering mid-summer Buenos Aires, well aware of we had to do. After recovering from our slight dip in form we had stumbled against Colombia and it was beginning to look as though we were going to struggle through qualification. So a result against Argentina was incredibly important, more for morale than anything else. I had a tremendous record against the Argentine national team, not to mention Argentine club sides. However, this was the first time I had pitched my efforts against Argentina on their home soil, in front of an intense Buenos Aires crowd.

Raphael would miss this game through injury, so Juliano Pacheco who had recently signed for Corinthians would step up. There were also places in the squad for Artur and Goncalves, who had both made good impressions on the first call-ups to my squad.

We couldn’t have started the match any better. In fact, the ball was in the back of the net as early as the 17th second. From kick-off, Anderson had played the ball towards Kerlon who had instinctively shot towards goal. The ball deflected off an Argentine defender’s foot and sat up nicely for Juliano Pacheco who fired home for 1-0. We began to dominate and our confidence was sky high after scoring so early. We forced a couple of good saves out of Leo Franco and after the half hour mark we doubled our lead. A Kerlon shot was fumbled by the keeper, only for Juliano Pacheco to get his and our second goal. Hernan Figueroa was Argentina’s star player and he was solely putting up resistance to us. Just before half time, Figueroa scored an absolutely sublime goal. A volley from outside the box to make it 2-1 at half time.

I knew we had to finish them off quickly and that was exactly what I instructed my players to do in the second half. It took until around the hour mark to pull away once more. Kerlon was never going to miss from a one-on-one situation and he made it 3-1. Kerlon was on hand to tap in a fourth fifteen minutes later, sealing an impressive 4-1 away win. Bolivia at home up next.

Starting XI: Barbosa©, Leonardo, Felipe, Jorge, Anderson (Ferraz), Souza, Anderson (Luis de Abreu), Agnaldo, Ramon, Juliano Pacheco, Kerlon

Used Subs: Castan, Moises, Artur

Final Score: Brazil 4-1 Argentina

“I don’t care how you do it, but I want him brought here nowâ€

“Begging your pardon, sir, why is he so important to you? He is rather insignificant don’t you think?â€

“I don’t pay you for your opinions, I pay you to follow my instructions without question, do you understand?â€

“Yes sirâ€

“This man almost ruined everything for us. I do not forgive and I do not forget. Where is he now?â€

“Buenos Aires I should imagine. He will be most likely be returning to Brazil in the next 48 hours.â€

“Be subtle. If you have to take your time then do it. I want his friend brought in as well, the traitor. Understood?â€

“I don’t anticipate any problems sir.â€

“Oh anticipate them, my friend. This will be difficult; the man is quite possibly the luckiest bastard I have ever known, we have spent nearly 10 years trying to get rid of him. Don’t send idiots.â€

“Yes, Chancellorâ€

Thanks Chirpin icon_smile.gif

Brazil vs. Bolivia

Saturday 11th June 2016

Couto Pereira, Curitiba (PR)

The media were well and truly back on our side after our fantastic 4-1 victory over rivals Argentina. The mood back in Brazil was confident as we returned for a home match against Bolivia, a game that we were expected to win with ease. Raphael was back from injury, although I decided to stick with Juliano Pacheco who had scored two goals in Buenos Aires. Gonçalves came back into the midfield, as did Moises.

The first half was a completely one sided affair, we stretched the Bolivians to almost breaking point straight away. Ramon was first to have an effort as he sent a fizzing shot just around the post. Bolivia had obviously pinned their hopes on hitting us on the break and they managed to do so on one occasion in the first half, forcing a good reaction save out of Barbosa. The deadlock was soon broken as we poured forward. Ramon dropped his shoulder to engineer a yard of space before firing us into the lead. Agnaldo almost doubled the lead inadvertently, his cross deceiving pretty much everyone, ending up clipping the bar. Ramon made no mistake as he tapped in his and our second goal.

The game settled right down in the second half and we struggled to create any more chances. Meanwhile, Bolivia were finally getting into their stride and playing some pretty decent football. They had an opportunity to get back into the match when Jorge caught a Bolivian striker in the box, who proceeded to tumble theatrically around. The referee gave a penalty and San Lorenzo winger Sergio Saavedra duly netted the spot kick to make it 2-1. Matters were made worse when Kerlon was given his marching orders. He had been booked in the first half for a late tackle and received his second bookable offence for a deliberate handball (the referee’s opinion, not mine!). This means I lose him for the crunch game away to Uruguay.

In the end we held on for a 2-1 win, but it is fair to say that we made hard work of it in the second half. I can already hear the same old grumblings from the media.

Starting XI: Barbosa©, Leonardo, Felipe, Jorge, Anderson, Goncalves, Moises, Agnaldo, Ramon, J. Pacheco, Kerlon

Used Subs: Raphael, Mauricio, Artur

Final Score: Brazil 2-1 Bolivia

Wolfgang was an incredibly nervy and paranoid man these days. The events of the last decade as a whole had pretty much scarred him for life, physically and mentally. He dealt with it all in exactly the opposite way that Sam did, constantly mulling it all over in his mind. He had made a fortune off the back of Hermann Aichinger’s success. He was the chairman, but took a much more watered down role at the club these days, often delegating duties to his other board members. CAHA had failed to win a single trophy since Sam’s departure except for a string of insignificant state championships. They were consistent contenders in the Copa Libertadores and were still generally regarded as amongst the top 5 in Brazilian football. This too was also a source of Wolfgang’s unhappiness.

But now it was not mere paranoia that drove Wolfgang, it was something more serious this time, more real. At least that was the way he felt. As usual there was only one person he could turn to. Sam was at home when he got the call, he braced himself for whatever new problem had presented itself when he saw that it was Wolfgang on the line.

“Hey, how’s things?â€

“Not good. Have you noticed anything strange recently?â€

“No......like what? What’s going on?â€

“It’s probably nothing but, there is a van parked outside my house and it has been there for the last 2 days, you think they are checking on me or something?â€

“Have you finally lost the ****ing plot? It’s probably your neighbours, it could be anybody. If you are so worried why don’t you just man up and go and bang on the door and see who it is?â€

“I am worth millions, neighbours is something I pay a little extra to avoid. Its not anyone like that, but I think I know who it is.â€

“I’ve had enough of this, call me when you’ve grown up a bit, bye.â€

• 2 weeks later...

Brazil vs. Uruguay

Wednesday 7th September 2016

Estadio Centenario, Montevideo

In typical fashion after humiliating Argentina, we then limped home to three points against minnows Bolivia. The Brazilian press were after a positive response in the tricky away match against Uruguay. The Uruguayans were unbeaten and had also come away from Argentina with a good result, albeit a 2-2 draw. Kerlon was the only absentee as he had of course been sent off in our previous match. Apart from that, it was a full strength squad that we took to Montevideo.

Uruguay were confident in front of their own fans and Leverkusen striker Maximiliano Maidana forced a great save out of Barbosa early on. However, we responded and Ramon even had the ball in the net only to be denied by the offside flag. Raphael wasted a glorious opportunity by the firing the ball straight down the keeper’s throat from close range. Maidana was a danger and he clipped the post with a fierce drive. It was a really open match in this first half, yet it ended 0-0.

In the second half we stunned by a newly incisive Uruguay team. Diego Rossello who many believe to be the best left back in the world, whipped in a cross that was exquisitely controlled on the turn by Alejandro Ramos. The Lyon forward made no mistake in smashing the ball home to the delight of the home fans. We responded and forced Aguilar into a couple of good saves. We deserved an equaliser and finally got one when Raphael sent a curling lobbed shot into the far corner of the net for 1-1. I would have taken a draw, Uruguay were clearly a very gifted team. It wasn’t to be. Uruguay were awarded a penalty in the 89th minute after Leandro Castan was judged to have obstructed Maidana. Questionable, in my opinion at least. Gonzalo Porras made no mistake and won Uruguay another valuable three points. Our first defeat of the qualification campaign.

Starting XI: Barbosa, Leonardo, Felipe, Castan©, Anderson, Goncalves, Moises, Agnaldo, Ramon, J. Pacheco, Raphael

Used Subs: Mauricio, Anderson

Final Score: Brazil 1-2 Uruguay

Sam hadn’t heard from Wolfgang in a couple of months and he wasn’t ashamed to admit it was a welcome relief. That wasn’t to say that he wasn’t worried about his friend. Wolfgang was clearly deeply troubled and Sam often contemplated whether this was a medical problem. With his job he never really had time to spend time with the former colleagues he had enjoyed such great success with. After the Uruguay defeat, Sam had gone back to the Estadio Baixada to watch a couple of CAHA matches. The team were still a good side but Sam knew the spark had gone and they failed to really perform in the big matches. Winning the league was no longer the objective, qualifying for the Copa Libertadores was the target. Each time he had gone, Wolfgang was nowhere to be seen.

In a dark and damp cellar, a prisoner slouches against the wall. He his handcuffed to a heating pipe that runs along the far wall. The room is empty, but it is difficult to tell in the darkness. A leak somewhere makes a repetitive dripping sound that seems to steadily grow louder in the darkness. The prisoner has been roughed up, his nose is bleeding and his jaw aches with a dull pain. His arms ache from being kept in the same position.

A lock slides out of its place and a door opens. Three men enter and unlock the handcuffs. The man is gagged and blindfolded, the briskly led out of the room. He mumbles incessantly but his words are muffled by the gag. The three men laugh as the prisoner tries to speak. The leader leans over and whispers into the prisoner’s ear.

“Don’t get so worried, we are taking you back to Germany to settle your debt!â€

Brazil vs. Paraguay

Saturday 15th October 2016

Vivaldão, Manaus (AM)

A result was important here. Not just a result, a massive result. We had to respond to the defeat against Uruguay and Paraguay were the side it would have to come against. It was the first of a double header of home matches, with Peru visiting four days later. Kerlon returning to the squad was a major boost. Leandro Castan had an injury so I gave São Paulo defender Wendel his first call up to the squad.

Frankly, we gave Paraguay a bloody good hiding. The writing was on the wall from the word go. After seventeen minutes, Kerlon gave us the lead. A powerful header from a Moises cross. It was Kerlon who would double our lead ten minutes later. Felipe hit a lovely ball forward for him to latch on to and from one-on-one situations there is no better. 2-0. We were playing the best football I had seen during my time in charge and it was soon 3-0. Anderson with a superb volley. His namesake Anderson Ferraz outdid him just before half time by volleying home directly from a corner on the outside of the box. Not a bad way to score your first goal for your country! 4-0 at half time and we were coasting.

Raphael got in on the act by making it a hat-trick of volleyed goals after half time. Another fantastic finish for 5-0. Kerlon got a deserved hat-trick not long after to make the score 6-0 with only 65 minutes played. Paraguay managed to limit the damage after that goal but were powerless to slump to a humiliating 6-0 defeat.

Starting XI: Barbosa, Mendoza, Felipe©, Jorge, Anderson Ferraz, Gonçalves, Moises, Agnaldo, Anderson, Kerlon, Raphael

Used Subs: Ramon

Final Score: Brazil 6-0 Paraguay

Archived