Transfers In:

David Hague, SC Free

Simon Cox, SC Swindon S850K

Kieran Brennan, DC Free

Paul Stonehouse, D/AM/FRC Forest Green $36K

Sam Oji, DRC Hereford $20K

Damien Mozika, DMRC Chester $80K

Phil Picken,DLR Chesterfield, $48K

Season: August saw the team open the League Cup with a First Round win against Crewe 1-0 and saw a dramatic finish against Southend in the Second Round as Lee Barnard missed the penalty to allow Oldham to advance. The team eventually went out of the League Cup in the Third Round against Bolton, and went out of the Johnstone’s Paint North in Round One against the eventual Champion Leeds United. So with no Cup success this season for Oldham, who would now focus all attention on gaining promotion from League 1 and into the Championship. After a 0-2-2 start, things looked bleak for the old gaffer, but the team began to gel and went 3-1-1 in September. The team began to roll and with 3 weekends left in the season, the table looked like this:

1. Leeds United 96 pts

2. Leicester 83 pts

3. Crewe 75 pts

4. Oldham 74 pts

5. Scunthorpe 71 pts

6. Huddeersfield 67 pts

So unless a total breakdown occurred, Oldham had secured a playoff place and a shot at promotion. With two wins in the next three games, Oldham reaches the playoffs!

Semi-Final Playoff First Leg: Away to Huddersfield. The first leg of the Semi Final began with both teams looking to score early to gain the advantage. Numerous opportunities for both sides presented themselves, but both teams failed to connect and we went into the half in a goalless draw. Oldham came out in the second half and unleashed a fury of chances before Jean-Paul Kalala banged one in from 25 yards to give Oldham a 1-0 lead with 26 minutes and added time to go. Huddersfield abandoned their normal shape for a more attacking one and Oldham fans were on the edge of their seats waiting for the final whistle. It came after 4 minutes of added time, and Oldham was headed back to Boundry Park with a 1-nil lead.

Semi-Final Playoff Second Leg: Huddersfield knew it was important to come on the pitch firing, and in the 3rd minute, Danny Cadamarteri put them on top with a amazing goal that would surely make the highlight reel. Boundry Park was tension filled as until Simon Cox evened the match with a blast in the 10th minute. Huddersfield pushed forward but keeper Gary Fleming held them at bay and Oldham was through to the Final against Scunthorpe.

Final Playoff Game: This was continuous thrills all over the pitch as Scunthorpe peppered Oldham goal as keeper Gary Fleming made save after key save. To make things worse for the Lactics’ fans, Chris Taylor was sent of with a red card in the 45th minute on a questionable call. Scunthorpe pushed forward against Oldham’s ten men until the 82nd minute when a penalty was called for taking down Simon Cox in the box. Cox approached the goal with the entirety of the Lactics’ season on his shoulders. He calmy started forward and connected with the ball. Joe Murphy, Scunthorpe’s keeper looked to have guessed the right way and closed in on Cox’s delivery only to have it scrape his fignertips and continue into the goal! Boundry Park erupted as Cox’s teammates piled on him in the corner celebrating. But with 8 minutes of regulation and added time, Scunthorpe had time to equalize. Fleming again showed why he was Oldham’s Player of the Match as he again and again stopped Gary Hooper’s shots. The whistle blew and Oldham was heading to the Championship and one step closer to returning to the Premier League.

Oldham Player of the Year: Keeper Gary Fleming. Fleming allowed 0.86 goals a game to lead Oldham into the Championship. All this from a player who was number 2 to Mark Crossley, and was not expected to do much of anything this season. But when Crossley went down for 4 months with a injury, Fleming was thrust into the limelight when no replacement was found. Fleming then showed off his talent for making save after acrobatic save all season. Lee Hughes finished second in the voting as his 13 league goals and 14 overall led the team. His consistent play held this team together through its difficult start and continued to inspire throughout the rest of the season. Onward to the Championship!

Any feedback would be great!

Team: Oldham Athletic

Year: 2008/2009

Directive from the Board: Achieve a respectable league position

Transfers Out:

Kieran Lee, D/MLCR Birmingham $1.1 million

Stefan Stam, DLC Bristol City $170K

Transfers In:

David Hague, SC Free

Simon Cox, SC Swindon S850K

Kieran Brennan, DC Free

Paul Stonehouse, D/AM/FRC Forest Green $36K

Sam Oji, DRC Hereford $20K

Damien Mozika, DMRC Chester $80K

Phil Picken,DLR Chesterfield, $48K

Season: August saw the team open the League Cup with a First Round win against Crewe 1-0 and saw a dramatic finish against Southend in the Second Round as Lee Barnard missed the penalty to allow Oldham to advance. The team eventually went out of the League Cup in the Third Round against Bolton, and went out of the Johnstone’s Paint North in Round One against the eventual Champion Leeds United. So with no Cup success this season for Oldham, who would now focus all attention on gaining promotion from League 1 and into the Championship. After a 0-2-2 start, things looked bleak for the old gaffer, but the team began to gel and went 3-1-1 in September. The team began to roll and with 3 weekends left in the season, the table looked like this:

1. Leeds United 96 pts

2. Leicester 83 pts

3. Crewe 75 pts

4. Oldham 74 pts

5. Scunthorpe 71 pts

6. Huddeersfield 67 pts

So unless a total breakdown occurred, Oldham had secured a playoff place and a shot at promotion. With two wins in the next three games, Oldham reaches the playoffs!

Semi-Final Playoff First Leg: Away to Huddersfield. The first leg of the Semi Final began with both teams looking to score early to gain the advantage. Numerous opportunities for both sides presented themselves, but both teams failed to connect and we went into the half in a goalless draw. Oldham came out in the second half and unleashed a fury of chances before Jean-Paul Kalala banged one in from 25 yards to give Oldham a 1-0 lead with 26 minutes and added time to go. Huddersfield abandoned their normal shape for a more attacking one and Oldham fans were on the edge of their seats waiting for the final whistle. It came after 4 minutes of added time, and Oldham was headed back to Boundry Park with a 1-nil lead.

Semi-Final Playoff Second Leg: Huddersfield knew it was important to come on the pitch firing, and in the 3rd minute, Danny Cadamarteri put them on top with a amazing goal that would surely make the highlight reel. Boundry Park was tension filled as until Simon Cox evened the match with a blast in the 10th minute. Huddersfield pushed forward but keeper Gary Fleming held them at bay and Oldham was through to the Final against Scunthorpe.

Final Playoff Game: This was continuous thrills all over the pitch as Scunthorpe peppered Oldham goal as keeper Gary Fleming made save after key save. To make things worse for the Lactics’ fans, Chris Taylor was sent of with a red card in the 45th minute on a questionable call. Scunthorpe pushed forward against Oldham’s ten men until the 82nd minute when a penalty was called for taking down Simon Cox in the box. Cox approached the goal with the entirety of the Lactics’ season on his shoulders. He calmy started forward and connected with the ball. Joe Murphy, Scunthorpe’s keeper looked to have guessed the right way and closed in on Cox’s delivery only to have it scrape his fignertips and continue into the goal! Boundry Park erupted as Cox’s teammates piled on him in the corner celebrating. But with 8 minutes of regulation and added time, Scunthorpe had time to equalize. Fleming again showed why he was Oldham’s Player of the Match as he again and again stopped Gary Hooper’s shots. The whistle blew and Oldham was heading to the Championship and one step closer to returning to the Premier League.

Oldham Player of the Year: Keeper Gary Fleming. Fleming allowed 0.86 goals a game to lead Oldham into the Championship. All this from a player who was number 2 to Mark Crossley, and was not expected to do much of anything this season. But when Crossley went down for 4 months with a injury, Fleming was thrust into the limelight when no replacement was found. Fleming then showed off his talent for making save after acrobatic save all season. Lee Hughes finished second in the voting as his 13 league goals and 14 overall led the team. His consistent play held this team together through its difficult start and continued to inspire throughout the rest of the season. Onward to the Championship!

Any feedback would be great!

I really love Star Trek, its my favorite tv series and movies. So with the new movie that came out I felt the need to name one of my managers after Kirk, lol.

My budget next season is $600k. Sorry for using the American Dollar, but I am from the States.

Press Release:

The Lactics are pleased to announce the renewal of central defender John Thompson, defensive midfielder Jean-Paul Kalala, and leading goalscorer Lee Hughes. Thompson, who join Oldham in early 2007, had 49 appearances with 2 goals and 2 assists last season. Kalala, Lactics fans will remember scored the winning goal in the second leg of the Semi-Final Playoffs, sending the team through to the final. He banged in 3 goals in 28 appearances and also had two assists. Hughes finished the season with 14 goals on 49 appearances and finished second to keeper Gary Fleming in Player of the Year voting. Oldham manager Tiberius Kirk had this to say, "I am very glad to welcome back these three individuals. I see them as important pieces in our upcoming season in the Championship."

In other news, Kirk announced a few new signings to the side as they begin the push toward the Premier League. The club has come to terms with former Pompey central defender Sol Campbell, young defender Giles Hellinckx, former Burton striker Shaun Harrad, and former Southhampton defender Chris Perry. "We were definitely looking to shore up the defense in front of Gary Fleming, and when Campbell became available, we immediately open talks with him. It's my opinion that his experience in the top flight will help us as we prepare to take on the Championship," said Kirk. In a late signing, the team is also glad to welcome midfielder Mohamed Kallon, who also signed on a free transfer. The team isn't done yet said Kirk, "We plan on looking at some different targets this transfer window, and will do whatever it takes to ensure success this upcoming season."

Oldham signs Pearson!

Oldham manager Tiberius Kirk is pleased to announce his first signing in this transfer market, midfielder Stephen Pearson, from Derby County. "We felt that the wingers could be improved depth-wise, and felt Pearson could be a player to fit that description. He brings some good pace and strength, and our scouts say his fitness has never been in question. He should help us in many different ways." The fee for this transfer was estimated at $180k US, and it remains to be seen if Pearson will live up to that hefty of a price tag.

Well, didn't know that Lee would ever go for that much, in my previous save he never did much for me. I think I may have overpaid for Cox, since you have to almost double his US dollar price tag to get to pounds, so prob 1.4 to 1.6 million pounds. Any other player suggestions?

Team: Oldham Athletic

Season: 2009/2010

Directive from Board: Avoid relegation

Transfers Out:

David Hague, SC, Blackpool, $60K

Kelvin Lomax, DRL, Barnsley, $40K

Danny Whitaker, AMCR, Wigan, $180K

Transfers In:

Marlon Crabb, SC, Crawley, $48K

Craig Clarke, SC, Cambridge, $32K

Brian Howard, AMCL, Barnsley, $260K

Stephen Pearson, Derby, $180K

Season Review: Well, what can I say? Getting promoted into the Championship my first season and expecting to gain promotion into the Premier League in my second? Well, 7th isn't bad when everyone expected me to be in the bottom of the table when the season started, and if I had got one more goal we would have won our last game and been in the playoffs. The season started horrible and we were sitting in 19th place on September 1st. The new signings weren't producing and things looked like next season we would be back in League 1. But then I talked to all the players and we began to claw our way out of the basement. A great showing in the League and FA Cups raised moral and as the new year started we sat in 3rd place. However, the goals dried up and Gary Fleming couldn't stop everything and it affected his confidence as well. It took till February to right the ship and we sat in 10th place, but only 4 points separated us from 6th and the playoffs. We earnestly began the push for 6th and set the league afire with wins. It all came down to the last game and we needed a win and a Sheff Utd loss to qualify for the playoffs. The winning goal bounce off the woodwork in the 92nd minute and the season ended with a whimper, much like it began.

League Cup: We demolished Crewe in the first round, recieveing goals from Lee Hughes, Jean-Paul Kalala, and Simon Cox to advance 3-1. In the Second Round we drew Stockport, whom went up early before Cox tied and Mohamed Kallon won the game and sent us to the Third Round. Swindon was up next and the game was never in doubt as Hughes, Kallon, and Cox put the game out of reach and Oldham into Round Four. Oldham squeeked by Bristol City with a 80th minute goal from newcomer Sol Campbell and the Quarter Final was next and Plymoth the opponent. Rory Fallon put Plymoth up 1-nil in the 16th minute and halftime saw Plymoth ahead by the same score. Oldham came out of the locker room firing on all cylinders as Kevin Maher banged in a scorcher in the 47th minute and Brian Howard banged in the winning goal in the 87th. The First Leg of the League Cup Semi Final against Bolton loomed and the game didn't dissapoint at all. Gary Cahill put Bolton up in the 4th minute and Oldham pushed forward and peppered the Bolton goal for the rest of regulation and added time, but still fell behind 1-nil with the second leg upcoming. Needing two goals to take the Semi Final, Sol Campbell connect on a Kallon cross to give Oldham a 1-nil lead and 1-1 aggregate draw. Bolton showed why it played in the top flight as Kevin Nolan scored right before halftime and Bolton spent the rest of the match wasting time and advanced to the Final on an aggregate 2-1 victory and Oldham's League Cup hopes were extinguished.

FA Cup: The FA Cup 3rd Round saw Oldham face Peterbourough in the snowy conditions of January at Boundry Park. Goals from Shaun Harrad and Simon Cox saw Oldham through to the Fourth Round to face Barclay's Premiership side Aston Villa. The game began as Villa try to exert it authority, but Oldham responded to every advance. Halftime brought us a 0-0 draw and both teams left the locker room determined to break the deadlock. It wasn't until the 90th minute when James Milner crossed the ball into the area to an Offside (I think) Wayne Routledge who caught Gary Fleming unawares for the game winner and sent the heartbroken Lactics fans home.

All in all a successful season, brought in a few youngsters including Clarke who scored off the bench in his debut and added 3 goals on the season at the ripe age of 16. I really tried to upgrade my youth squad as I didn't have a chance to do so in the first season. All the youngsters are regens who I hope will turn out good for me. I need to add some pieces to the mix, as Kallon had a up and down season and wasn't as dominate as he was in the lower leagues. Cox finally broke through and was the leading goalscorer with 13 overall and Craig Davies added 10 league goals. Gary Fleming had a good season, a great one if you take out the teams goal drought where he lost his confidence. Brian Howard was kinda of a disappointment, quietly adding 8 goals and 12 assists, but would disappear for long stretches. Sol Campbell was average and I don't know if I will resign him in June. Lee Hughes' age caught up with him and he faultered on the pitch and Shaun Harrad took most of his appearances from him. Still need to find a superstar to build around, although Cox may turn into one next season if he continues to progress. On to the Offseason Transfer Window!!

Archived