I can't believe I thought it would be easy (the Italian Job challenge)

Philip Rolfe

• Administrators

Hopefully we can continue the form from Monday night in tonight's televised game at Modena. Tobros and Moroni are out on international duty.

Modena 2

Salvi 17

Taldo 33

Varese 1

Rodriguez 47

We weren't the same side that demolished Messina for some reason. Maybe it was just that Modena were more motivated. Claudio Salvi drove in the opener, after 15 minutes of incessant running. It was doubled 15 or so minutes later, this time through the impressive Carlo Taldo. The closest we came were a few headers from Rodriguez just over the goal. Rodriguez got one back after half time, with a run and shot across Pagotto. But it was the only note of interest in the second half, and we lost. Unfortunate yes, but we have to start putting 2 or 3 wins together.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Bandirali, Sbrizzo, Santi, Sidwell, Plaquet, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta

Back to Sunday afternoon kickoffs, and the visit of Udinese. The Bianconeri have become a perennial yo-yo club in recent times, and as a result have a squad of Serie A quality in areas. The little and large combination of Pinga and Jancker are going to be hard to shut out. Tobros and Moroni are back.

Varese 2

Moroni 79

Batistuta 90

Udinese 0

This is what I've been harping on about icon_smile.gif Turning potential draws into wins, or potential defeats into draws. Both really apply to the game today. It had everything - end to end, shots everywhere, and some shades of brilliance. Udinese had the better of the first half, and in particular Pinga was causing us no end of problems. He had a goal disallowed on 47 minutes for a highly debatable offside decision, but linesman Stefano Gragnaniello adjudged him off, to my relief. We started to grow in confidence, and the left sided combination of Rodriguez and Moroni started to take over. A draw looked on the cards until Moroni took the ball, ran into space, nutmegged Jorgensen, and lashed in a 20 yard drive. Batistuta confirmed the win in injury time to end a fantastic team move, as once again Moroni dribbled and tricked his way along the left perimetre. His cross was a bit deep, but Molinaro met it with a cushioned header perfect for Batistuta to finish. Home form is starting to become consistently good, which is a very good thing. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta

We look to continue playing as well as we have recently with the trip to the Giuseppe Sinigaglia, and to Como. Selim Benachour played in Tunisia's 1-1 draw with Sierra Leone yesterday, and so Marijan Buljat replaces him in an otherwise unchanged lineup.

Como 0

Varese 0

A poor game by Serie B standards, but I'll take heart in the fact we didn't lose, and didn't concede. Como were far more adventurous, through the strikeforce of Chianese and Bonazzoli, but they weren't dangerous enough to penetrate our defensive unit, once again under great control from Gorini. Veteran Dutchman Jean-Paul Van Gastel was another who caused us problems, and his long range drive on 56 minutes saw Girardi make the save of the game. Our best chance was a first half header from Rodriguez, cleared off the line by Man of the Match Cristante, and he also hit the post midway through the second half. Overall I'm satisfied with a draw, as we didn't lose away - something we have to keep up.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Buljat, Rodriguez, Batistuta

We host Palermo today, and the islanders bring a very impressive side, still unbeaten away from home. Benachour returns from international duty to resume on the right wing.

Varese 3

Santi 15

Benachour 30 pen

Rodriguez 43

Palermo 2

Mariani 67

Morrone 70

Palermo didn't deserve one goal, let alone two. We handled the wet conditions perfectly, as our visitors were blown away in the first half. Christian Santi opened his account for the season with a finish to cap a great move. Sbrizzo hit a long ball out to Benachour, who proceeded to lay the ball off first time to the onrunning Santi, who slapped in the opener. On the half hour referee Fabrizio Brunialti adjudged that Batistuta had been tripped by Sicignano. Benachour converted the penalty. The Tunisian was on fire by now, and his involvement in Rodriguez's third was sublime. Rodriguez knocked the loose ball back to Gorini, who passed it back to the Andorran in space. A fabulous one-two followed, as the Tunisian's deft flick allowed the loanee from Milan to hammer in his 4th in 5 games icon_smile.gif We had it in the bag. Or so I thought. Vincetzo Guerini's men scored twice in three minutes through Mattia Mariani and Stefano Morrone to make things very nervous, but we got the three points we deserved. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta

Next: A trip to one of Italy's leading cities - Genoa. icon_smile.gif

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

cheers guys icon_smile.gif

---------------

We go to one of the leading footballing cities in Italy this afternoon - Genoa. The daunting prospect of playing in the magnificent Luigi Ferraris stadium may have an effect on my team, but Genoa are a good side, and it adds up to a very tough proposition. Bandirali replaces the suspended Tobros.

Genoa 1

Bressan 33

Varese 2

Rodriguez 42

Moroni 60

The two magnificent loan stars struck gold to take the points in the pouring rain, but only after a very tough start. Bressan and Perotta were pulling the strings in the midfield for the home side, and got what they deserved just after the half hour mark had passed. Girardi let Pagano's shot go through his grasp, and the former Fiorentina and Bari man Bressan tapped in. But we fought back, and after a sighter Yuri Rodriguez found his range, slamming in a curling shot off the post from 20 yards. Raffaele Moroni did almost the same but in more spectacular fashion exactly on 60 minutes. Showing his amazing dribbling skills, he drifted past the defence and shot into the top corner off the outside of his foot from a similar distance icon_smile.gif Sergio Girardi, and the two side backs, Molinaro and Sbrizzo, were instrumental in holding on to the win, which maintains a strong league position.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Bandirali, Sbrizzo, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta

Chieti were the other team promoted from the C level last season, and we beat them in the Serie C1 Super Cup. They've had a dire season, stuck to the bottom. They're improving, but I'd expect to beat them

Varese 0

Benachour injured 43

Buljat injured 82

Chieti 0

It had to happen. The only match so far I've expected to win, and we don't. The injuries to both our right wingers didn't do much to help matters, nor did the lack of luck we experienced. Chieti definitely came for a draw, and took it. Fair enough, we could have been a little more adventurous, but there was the element that Bruno Pace's men could break on us, as they did near the end when Verdicchio forced a top save from Girardi. Rodriguez played very well, hit the bar, but didn't score. But at least we didn't lose :D We should have won.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour (Buljat 43, Plaquet 82), Rodriguez, Batistuta

The injury news is bad. Selim Benachour will miss three weeks with a groin strain, but Marijan Buljat unfortunately broke his ankle in the altercation with Puleo, and needs a six month minimum recuperation period. Poor lad icon_frown.gif

Moroni is forced to switch to the right wing for the game at Cagliari. They've started to pick up some form, but we're in the middle of a 6 match unbeaten run. Tight one to be expected.

Cagliari 1

Cammarata 60

Varese 0

Our unbeaten run ended today in the island of Sardinia, in a game that could have ended 5-5. Both goalkeepers were amazing, but Cagliari's Franco Costanzo, on loan from Juventus, just pipped Girardi to the Man of the Match award, and we should have at least scored in truth. Moroni is not comfortable on the right compared to the left, and although his influence was still high, he links better with Rodriguez rather than Batistuta. The chances Batistuta missed would probably have gone in if his Andorran strike partner had had them. Fabrizio Cammarata headed what turned out to be the winning goal on the hour mark, out jumping Sidwell at the back post. I need a solution to the recent right wing problem.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Plaquet, Rodriguez, Batistuta

• Administrators

The imbalance in the side is going to cause no end of problems against a very impressive Piacenza side second only to Vicenza. Sebastian Conti plays on the right, left footed, and with the instructions to come inside as often as possible. Christian Santi then covers the right. Will it work though?

Varese 1

Batistuta 65

Piacenza 2

Vitolo 1

Riccio 3

Our shambolic start was what undone us. Piacenza could also have had a number more in the first half, as the midfield just wasn't functioning properly. icon_frown.gif . Del Nevo and Montano built a great move from kick off, finished by Vitolo. Before we could take breath, Piacenza doubled the lead as Riccio went running through the non existant right, and beat Girardi. That was it in all extents and purposes, and if Girardi hadn't been so brilliant we could have been looking at a cricket score. The second half was an improvement as Tcherevchenko played the right wing, and gave us not only balance but defensive security. Batistuta converted Moroni's cross at the three-quarter mark, but it was one glimmer of sunshine in an otherwise dull day. Hopefully it's only a temporary drop of form, and won't waste our good start to the season.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Conti (Tcherevchenko 45), Rodriguez, Batistuta

Selim Benachour passed a mid morning fitness test and will play at Crotone. They're just below ourselves, and we need to get some points.

Crotone 2

Amoruso 29, 62

Varese 2

Benachour 11 pen

Rodriguez 31

A draw is a better result than the two previous defeats, but if Luca Amoruso had been contained we would have won. Benachour's influence was key, as it was he who put us 1-0 up. Moroni's cross was missed by Rodriguez, who claimed he was pushed. The referee ignored the incident, as did the linesman, until Batistuta and Rodriguez somehow persuaded the official into informing Marco Gabriele that it was a penalty. Crotone were furious, but the Tunisian sent Rosario Gori the wrong way. But Amoruso is highly experienced and unseful at the lower levels, and equalised with a stretching header from Nerattini's deep cross. Yuri Rodriguez, however put us back ahead 2 minutes later, collecting Gorini's pass before jinking through the defence and sliding past Gori. But Amoruso again struck icon_mad.gif in the exact same fashion as before. We could have won this, but a point is still okay.

We're comfortably mid table - 10 points from promotion, 10 points from relegation. I'm happy with that, although 4 games ago we were two points off the top 4.

I am today able to make a timely boost the the squad, and the overall confidence. Two players of quality have signed on free transfers after 5 months without a club. Firstly, brother of Inter's Christian, Massimiliano (Max from now on) Vieri has agreed a five-year deal at Varese, and is pleased to have joined a club with direction. I'm pleased to have some quality striking competition on board. Secondly, ex Inter and Parma, and Slovakian International left back Vratislav Gresko signed along with Vieri. Alessandro Sbrizzo has been good at left back, but we had no cover or competition there, and Gresko gives us that. I'm happy with my foray into the transfer market icon_smile.gif

.........and in the afternoon they both go straight into the squad to face Bari. Gresko starts, whilst Vieri sits on the bench. It'll be an extremely tough match - Bari hammered Fiorentina 4-1 earlier in the year, and have a potent attack

Varese 0

Bari 2

Menezes Guimares 20, 46

A very tough game, which we dominated, but ultimately failed to score icon_frown.gif Gresko was heavily involved, but without much conviction a majority of the time. We're just going through one of those runs where nothing goes for you. Max Vieri got a run out in the second half, and had three half chances which were well dealt with by the Bari back line. Carlos Menezes Guimares scored 2 more to take his season tally to 11, and it was his clinical finishing which separated the sides today. The defeats are starting to affect morale, so winning next game out is imperative.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Gresko, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta (Vieri 64)

• Administrators

It shows how well we're doing when compared to the other C1 sides promoted last season. Chieti are bottom, Pescara are 13th, and our hosts today Spezia are 18th and struggling. Just the two selection headaches for myself - I decide to risk a less than 100% Girardi in goal, and prefer Batistuta to Vieri.

Spezia 0

Varese 3

Moroni 11

Gorini 33

Batistuta 45

Just when you need a game where you can win comfortably and boost confidence, someone does you a favour. Spezia did just that for us today, as they were a stark contrast to the side that drew 2-2 with us in that thrilling penultimate game last season. Raffaele Moroni was, as ever, irrepressible. His goal on 11 minutes was another example of his prodigious dribbling talents, beating Bisello Ragno, Chiarini and Fattori on his way to chipping Amelia for a Goal of the Season contender. icon_smile.gif Edoardo Gorini scored a typical centre-back's goal on 33 minutes, as he headed in a Moroni corner. He's been playing so well in the past one and a half seasons, simply an inspiration, and irreplaceable. The decision to keep Batistuta in on the ground he scored 5 in a game in 2 years back paid off, when he made sure of the points in first half stoppage time, finding space from Molinaro's cross to beat Amelia. A nice way to (hopefully) ease back into form icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Gresko, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta

The opening of the transfer window allows me to bring in two loan signings, fulfilling our quota of 4. Sergio Girardi's injury a couple of weeks ago made me realise we have no backup for him, bar Emiliano Dei, so I contacted Venezia, and a deal was done for Francesco Benussi to join for the second half of the season. And another striker arrives, real quality from Turin. Juventus have loaned us young striker Maurizio Schaivon for the same period. I'll give him some reserve football to assess his talents - he's raw but gifted.

We'll have a right test at home to 4th placed Reggina. Some of their players are better at home in Serie A - namely Davide Di Michele. We are going to have to be very careful of their prolific striking machine. Fuoco replaces the injured Santi.

Varese 3

Moroni 3

Rodriguez 16

Fuoco 29

Reggina 3

Di Michele 24, 35

Bellotto 55

The game had everything bar a winner. The fact an early goal was scored helped no end. Moroni scored his 6th of the season with a speculative effort from a wide and near impossible angle, but it went in. When Rodriguez tapped into an open net to make it 2-0, the time was the only thing against us. 2-0 up in 15 minutes, there was still time for Reggina to come right back. And so Di Michele proved with a header 8 minutes later to halve the gap. But Marco Fuoco, replacing Santi, rifled in a 3rd 5 minutes later to resore the two goal lead. icon_smile.gif If we could have held out until half time we might have won, but we didn't icon_frown.gif . Di Michele hit a venoumous effort to make it 3-2, and early in the second half midfielder Daniele Bellotto bundled in the 3rd from a corner. As ever, I like to take a positive from every game, and we didn't disrespect ourselves against quality opponents, and should have beaten them.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Gresko, Fuoco, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta

Another game against one of the teams around us, Empoli. We have to go to the Carlo Castellani, never an easy place to visit. I name an unchanged side.

Empoli 4

Rocchi 5, 90

Paulo Magno 34

Giandomenico 40

Varese 2

Fuoco 17

Rodriguez 20

I'm really annoyed at the result. We've conceded 7 goals in two games now, and today the defence was really quite poor. Tomasso Rocchi has been dangerous all season, and it took a mere 5 minutes for him to open his account with a close range volley. Marco Fuoco then scored for the second game running, which was nice to see, as he is trying to show me his worth. Yuri Rodriguez put us ahead in stylish fashion, with a neat shimmy and shot icon_smile.gif But we failed to hold on, and Paulo Magno clipped in the equaliser. Luigi Giandomenico then scored a beaut of a free kick, that left Girardi hopelessly clutching air. We tried to get a third, and Batistuta and Fuoco were most likely to get it. Both hit the woodwork in the second half, but Rocchi's injury time breakaway goal sealed our defeat. icon_frown.gif The defence is looking frail at the moment, it needs to be sorted.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Gresko, Fuoco, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta (Vieri 88)

• Administrators

Away to Fiorentina. Hard is an understatement. They are a team too strong for this level, and we're going to struggle. Sbrizzo is back in place of Gresko.

Fiorentina 2

Taddei 59

Emerson 84

Varese 0

We're slipping back into the bad form I dislike, and totally deserved to lose this. Not that we were bad, it's just Fiorentina are so good. Possanzini and Emerson both had goals disallowed for offside in the first half, and truth be told we were lucky to survive and be level at half time. The equilibrium didn't last too long though, because Riccardo Taddei slid home his 5th of the season when a cross eluded Girardi. Rodriguez came close, and Schiavon linked well when he came on for his debut, but Emerson snatched another late on to condemn us to another defeat. icon_frown.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Fuoco, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta (Schiavon 76)

We return home to a game I expect to win. Catania are near the bottom, and three points today against them will give us a buffer between ourselves and the drop zone. Gresko in for Sbrizzo.

Varese 3

Fuoco 63

Rodriguez 65

Batistuta 79

Catania 1

Fava Passaro 31

Much like our previous meeting, it was a match of two halves. Catania destroyed us first half, and deserved the 1-0 lead given to them by Dino Fava Passaro's glancing header on 31 minutes. But once again, we came out a new team in the second half. Marco Fuoco continued some brilliant form with a powerful header on 63 minutes after Rodriguez had combined with Gresko to make it. Less than two minutes later we went ahead, as Rodriguez lashed in a volley after Benachour made it possible. And Batistuta made sure of the points when lobbing Federico Marchetti from 25 yards, after the keeper had dropped the ball coming to claim it on the edge of the area. Wins like these are important when you're out of form, because it just restores confidence and keeps the team in a decent midtable position icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Gresko, Fuoco, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta

Who knows what could happen at Pescara today. They have a dangerous attack, and our defence has looked frail recently. I decide to go in unchanged.

Pescara 3

Antonaccio 11

Cozza 40

Iaquinta 72

Varese 2

Rodriguez 12

Batistuta 45

I told you anything could happen - unfortunately this didn't involve us winning icon_frown.gif . Giuseppe Antonaccio headed in his first of the season after just eleven minutes, but it wasn't so bad because Yuri Rodriguez made it 10 for the season a minute later with a typical poachers goal. But we fell behind again through the impressive Cozza, who beat Gorini and then curled past Girardi. But we grabbed another equaliser in first half stoppage time as Batistuta drilled across Ghizzardi to make it 2-2. The second half was less lively, but the only goal went to Vincenzo Iaquinta, who stole in for the eventual winner icon_frown.gif The up and down form we're in isn't nice at all, as we don't know where to go next.

To top that, Selim Benachour has been called up for the Tunisian African Nations Squad, meaning I need a new right winger, and inside the next week as the deadline passes then.

• Administrators

The current league standings are as shown

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

************************************************************************************************

Italian Serie B - Sunday 29th January 2006

************************************************************************************************

================================================================================================

2005/6 Table

================================================================================================

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Vicenza 23 9 3 0 21 4 6 2 3 21 14 50

2nd Fiorentina 22 11 0 1 31 7 5 1 4 17 13 49

3rd Piacenza 23 8 2 2 21 9 7 1 3 19 11 48

4th Reggina 23 10 1 1 34 7 3 4 4 17 17 44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5th Palermo 23 8 1 2 23 9 4 3 5 19 16 40

6th Bari 23 8 1 3 22 8 4 3 4 20 20 40

7th Como 23 6 4 1 18 10 4 2 6 16 22 36

8th Genoa 23 7 1 3 21 7 2 6 4 13 20 34

9th Ascoli 23 6 2 3 26 19 3 4 5 12 20 33

10th Empoli 23 5 4 3 27 19 2 6 3 18 17 31

11th Pescara 23 4 7 0 20 16 3 2 7 14 28 30

12th Crotone 23 6 4 2 23 16 2 1 8 14 23 29

13th Cagliari 23 5 3 4 20 19 3 2 6 17 29 29

14th VARESE 23 4 3 4 17 15 3 3 6 19 21 27

15th Udinese 23 4 6 1 20 14 2 3 7 13 22 27

16th Modena 22 5 1 4 19 18 3 2 7 10 27 27

17th Spezia 23 3 2 7 18 28 2 5 4 20 23 22

18th Messina 23 4 2 5 17 23 0 2 10 11 36 16

19th Catania 23 2 4 5 12 25 1 2 9 5 25 15

20th Chieti 23 0 4 8 10 24 0 1 10 2 16 5

</pre>

not overly bad, but we can improve on it icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

In the nick of time I get my winger. I contacted Verona about bringing Luca Matteassi back here for a third spell, but they rejected me. So I eventually turn to Antonio Morello, a free scoring winger at smaller clubs, and shows promise that he could do it in Serie B. Cost nothing either icon_cool.gif

As we continue our indifferent form, we have the task of facing Vicenza, who are going up undoubtedly. Benussi replaces the rather erratic Girardi in goal, and Morello goes straight into the right wing position.

Varese 0

Vicenza 2

Colacone 7, 59

We keep on sliding, and so next week we will be looking at changing our style of play to get the most points we can from the remaining games. We weren't at the races against Vicenza, and Roberto Colacone obviously finds it easy playing us - he scored 2 more against us, two headers at the start of either half. We're good enough in posession, just not too impressive in defence or attack at the moment. Something needs to be done to get things going again.

Team: Benussi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Gresko, Fuoco, Sidwell, Moroni, Morello, Rodriguez, Batistuta

All week myself and my coaching team have been working on a new playing style to try and turn our luck around for the visit of Ascoli. As a result, Christian Santi can return from an injury and a deserved rest, and Mateusz Dobek comes in for a start after impressing in the reserves, because Yuri Rodriguez is injured.

Varese 4

Molinaro 5

Sidwell 8

Moroni 12

Tobros 90

Ascoli 0

Nice icon_cool.gif Ascoli are one of the teams above us, and as such harder to beat. We've beaten struggling teams in the last month or two, but not many others. The new style saw three goals in the opening twelve minutes to all but finish the game inside the opening quarter. Cristian Molinaro struck first, his first ever career goal, after sprinting down the right to meet Batistuta's blocked shot. Stevie Sidwell was next up to score his first career goal, after Molinaro's attempt was saved he followed in to have an easy open goal tap in. And then it was three, through Raffaele Moroni, as the San Marino winger sent in a lovely left foot strike. Mateusz Dobek had an impressive game, and without looking very dangerous he was pivotal to the sides movement. Nikolaos Tobros headed in the 4th from a Moroni corner late in the day, but it only served to increase the scoreline, on what was a very nice day for us icon_smile.gif

Team: Benussi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Gresko, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Morello, Dobek, Batistuta

Now comes the test - stringing two wins together for the first time since November. It'll be harder without Santi, who is suspended, but Fuoco is a capable replacement. I also choose Dobek ahead of Rodriguez, to give the Pole confidence, but also to keep the Andorran on his toes.

Messina 1

Iannuzzi 7

Varese 3

Batistuta 2, 88, 90

The pre-match hype was about the decision to play Dobek over Rodriguez, but come the end of the match it was the old warhorse, the man you can depend on, Gabriel Batistuta, who stole the show. It took only 96 seconds to break down the struggling Messina defence, as Batigol slammed in Moroni's centre. But Alessandro Ianuzzi headed in the equaliser to throw a spanner in the works 5 minutes later, and although we were amazingly dominant we couldn't score. Dobek came close with a shot from the penalty area, but Emanuele Manitta dealt with it well. Rodriguez replaced him at half time and looked lively. His 73rd minute goal was ruled out for an infringement. I'm still not sure what it actually was. It did look like we weren't going to get there, but we did, and the relief must have been felt right across Italy. Rodriguez won the knock down, and Batistuta showed a glimpse of old, striking it first time into the far corner. What a goal it was icon_smile.gif . He completed a hat-trick when half volleying in Rodriguez's cushioned header, and took the ball home with him. Nice to win again, and to see the striking duo linking very well indeed. icon_smile.gif

Team: Benussi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Gresko, Fuoco, Sidwell, Moroni, Morello, Dobek (Rodriguez 45), Batistuta

• Administrators

Hoping to break our little bit of form are Modena, 3 places above us in the table. Rodriguez gets to start over Dobek today.

Varese 0

Modena 0

Not bad, and it shows how we are starting to change things. It was a pretty even game in terms of posession and goal attempts, and so it was only right that the points were shared. Christian Santi was the most attacking of our team, coming very close on the half hour with a skidding drive only over by a whisker. Lots of nice attractive football was on show, yet not much with conviction. Kamara was dangerous for the visitors, but overall I have to say I'm not too unhappy.

Team: Benussi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Gresko, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Morello, Rodriguez, Batistuta

Udinese are surprising everyone in that they're struggling to stay out of the relegation zone. With players like Pinga, Jancker, and Giannichedda they should be much higher. We'll have to pay attention to those three today. Benachour makes a return on the right.

Udinese 0

Varese 0

Now this one we deserved to win. Udinese were not really in the game, and it was their defence, and left back Andrea Sottil in particular, that managed to keep us at bay. I'm not too pleased with the referee Emidio Morganti, who deemed Selim Benachour offside in first half injury time, so the Tunisian's goal was chalked off icon_frown.gif . Moroni's long range scorcher was another noteworthy attempt, as was Pinga's fine free kick held superbly by Benussi. Three clean sheets in a row - I'm delighted with that.

Team: Benussi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Gresko, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez (Dobek 74), Batistuta

A report was made midweek in the national press about Como's shocking financial state, and how they're struggling to survive. We're looking to make their week worse as we return to TV on a Friday night to improve our own finances, which aren't too nice. Bandirali and Sbrizzo come into a makeshift defence to replace the suspended Tobros and Gorini.

Varese 4

Sidwell 10

Batistuta 17

Molinaro 51

Rodriguez 72

Benussi sent off 75

Como 1

Van Gastel 75 pen

Brilliant, apart from one minor hiccup I'm really annoyed about. But to that later. It's true what they say - you wait ages for one to come, then they all come at once. Sidwell and Molinaro both scored their first career goals against Ascoli, and they both chipped in today. Sidwell scored a similar goal to open today's rout, driving in a spilt Molinaro cross. A wonderful left hand side move, flowing from Gresko to Moroni, was finished beautifully by Batistuta, who's closing in on his most prolific season for us. We couldn't get another until Molinaro scored the third early on in the second period, finally finding the net with a header off a Santi cross. And Rodriguez unleashed a stunner of a strike - curling, left foot, top corner, bang! 4-0. icon_smile.gif . Then the pasrt I'm disgusted at. Benussi fouled Chianese in the area, and the ref gave a penalty a little harshly. He also booked my keeper. Then Benussi petulantly kicked the ball away, and got another yellow, and so was off. Stupid refereeing, and stupidity on the part of my player icon_mad.gif Girardi couldn't stop Van Gastel grabbing the consolation, but it was so unneccesary, and it could mean we're without the keeper who hasn't conceded for 338 minutes. Still, it shouldn't take the shine off a brilliant performance. icon_smile.gif

Team: Benussi, Molinaro, Bandirali, Sbrizzo, Gresko, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez (Girardi 75), Batistuta©

My appeal for Benussi's suspension to be revoked is upheld on the grounds it was a highly unfair decision. At last, the FIGC see the light icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

Palermo look to be a very hard task. To win at La Favorita is something few do, and although we'll try, the home side are favourites. Tobros and Gorini return.

Palermo 2

Zauli 11

Mascara 58

Varese 1

Gresko 5

After 5 games without defeat, Palermo bring us crashing back down to earth with a bump. We went ahead early with Vratislav Gresko's first goal for the club, as he found himself in the area unmarked. Lamberto Zauli caused havoc all afternoon, and his goal in the eleventh minute gave Palermo a way back - a sliced effort from 15 yards. We were perhaps a little unfortunate to concede Mascara's winner, as Sidwell kicked the ball at him from a corner, and it deflected in icon_frown.gif Still, it was hard, and it's not the worst thing that could happen. As long as we respond in the right way I'll be happy.

Team: Benussi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Gresko, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta

At home I'm confident of beating just about anybody, which is why I think the double over Genoa is a very believable possibility. I go in unchanged again.

Varese 2

Benachour 35

Rodriguez 39

Genoa 1

Matys 29

It should have been more emphatic than 2-1, though through no fault of ours. Again, it's the officiating that let us down a little. But to that in due course. Piotr Matys scored his 15th of the season to put Genoa ahead with a goal that can only be described as emphatically brilliant. He took a long ball on his chest, evading the offside trap, and hit a full blooded volley from 20 yards past Benussi. It was a goal worhy of a win, only they didn't get it. 6 minutes later Selim Benachour was given time and space from Genoa's defence, latching on to Santi's cross field pass to notch his 4th goal so far. Then came the first of two disallowed goals. Less than a minute later Batistuta scored after Rodriguez layed him in, but was called offside by Andrea Bo. It wasn't a serious setback, because Rodriguez himself scored 3 minutes later, again following some nice play by Santi. Santi deserved a goal, and it should have come on 68 minutes, when he tapped in Batistuta's saved attempt, but was again offside, this time under the second phase ruling, and although it was very tight I can understand why it was deemed illegal. A 2 goal cushion would have given us a nice cushion, but we held on to record another win. icon_smile.gif

Team: Benussi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Gresko, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta

Chieti were relegated last week, after not winning one game in the 30 so far. We will beat them, surely, even without Moroni and Rodriguez. Surely?

Chieti 4

Gennari 14

Aurino 22, 83

D'Anna 72

Varese 1

Plaquet 5

Let's just say I'm too icon_mad.gif and too embarrassed to go into much detail. We were way too confident about the match, and we were totally humbled by a side with nothing to lose any more. We even went ahead through Laurent Plaquet's header, but goals from Gennari, Aurino (2) and D'Anna left us absolutely shellshocked. I'm extremely upset and livid at the level of performance shown today, in what was a game that should have seen us maintain a strong league position. **** ****ity **** icon_mad.gif (sorry icon_frown.gif )

Team: Benussi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Gresko, Santi, Sidwell, Plaquet, Benachour, Dobek (Vieri 66), Batistuta

• Administrators

April is here, and with it Cagliari at home. We are 11th, they are 10th, not much to seperate us two all season. Rodriguez returns fresh from scoring 2 last week for Andorra, but Moroni is still injured after playing for San Marino. After the shambles of Chieti, an improvement is needed.

Varese 1

Benachour 90

Cagliari 1

Kuffour 55

Lucky to escape perhaps? Cagliari must have thought they had the points in the bag, but we fought right to the end, and got something to reward our effort. Gorini hit a volley midway through the first half, but it was one of those that looks impressive until the goalkeeper deals with it comfortably. Rodriguez then scuffed a volley into the ground, and it bounced up and onto the bar. Cagliari had a goal ruled out shortly before the interval, Alberto Quadri was probably just offside. But they did take a lead 10 minutes after the restart, Emmanuel Osei Kuffour met a cross unmarked to head the opening goal. Defences then began to take control, as Cagliari looked happy with their lot. But a one goal lead is never secure, and Selim Benachour proved it with a last gasp header from Gorini's long ball to save the day, late, late on. A draw is sufficient to keep me happy at the moment.

Team: Benussi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Gresko, Santi, Sidwell, Plaquet, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta

Friday night means live on TV. Unfortunately it's away at 4th placed Piacenza, who still have something to play for. Moroni returns on the left, but Tobros and Sidwell are banned. I expect a very tough game.

Piacenza 3

Vitolo 6

Paradiso 44

Olafsson 90

Varese 3

Benachour 47

Batistuta 51

Moroni 74

Bandirali injured 75

Ordinarily I would be ecstatic at such a result, but if our concentration hadn't have slipped for one second we would have taken everything icon_frown.gif . It took a short six minutes for Alfredo Vitolo to rack up his 13th of the season, and Piacenza must have expected a 4 or 5 goal win. They didn't get a 2nd until a minute shy of 45, when Angelo Paradiso sprinted past Molinaro to beat Benussi. An early goal after the restart came for us, which gave us a whole lot of confidence. Selim Benachour found a head to meet Raffaele Moroni's cross. Gabriel Batistuta then had a chance to equalise, which was well saved, but the Argentinian scored from the rebound to take him one short of his highest total for the club. it did, however, make it his 33rd league goal for us, which is a new Varese record icon_cool.gif . And then, rather amazingly, we took the lead icon_eek.gif Moroni found time and space to pick a spot and score past Luca Cigolini icon_smile.gif . Bandirali's injury meant we had to reshape a little, but still held out firmly. Until the 91st minute. Inspirational Icelandic defender and club captain Kristjan Olafsson thumped a header home to break our hearts, but ultimately we got an unlikely draw.

Team: Benussi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Bandirali (Sbrizzo 75), Gresko, Santi, Fuoco, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta

Monday night football, live on television. OK, so Varese vs Crotone may not appeal to too many fans, but we are in need of three points, just to boost our league ranking as we can't get promoted. Sidwell returns after suspension, Fuoco makes way, and Tobros returns ahead of the injured Bandirali. Molinaro is banned, so Tcherevchenko makes a welcome return at right back.

Varese 1

Sidwell 39

Crotone 0

A totally one sided match, that was won by the team most deserving to. 1-0 was harsh on us, as we deserved 2 or 3, and nearly paid for it at the end. The attacking, though, didn't come from the usual suspects. Moroni, Rodriguez and Batistuta were shackled, but Sidwell, Tobros, and Benachour took over the mantle and played brilliantly. Sidwell's winner was a simple one made to look good. Benachour lofted a dangerous cross which Crotone's keeper, Gabriele Da Notte, missed. The ball was half cleared, but only to Sidwell, who had an open goal to volley first time into. That turned out to be enough, although Tobros came very close to extending the comfort in the second half, with a header well parried and a rebound slashed off the line. Francesco Cangi, Crotone's captain, found a way past Benussi in injury time, but was well offside, and we escaped. icon_smile.gif Up to 10th.

Team: Benussi, Tcherevchenko, Gorini©, Tobros, Gresko, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta

Next: An unmissable game at Bari

• Administrators

lets try and reach the end of the season! icon_smile.gif

Our humble abode is nothing compared to Bari's San Nicola stadium, a huge arena which Bari regularly attract 20,000+ fans to. And they're pushing for promotion, with an attack as good as any. A tough ask, I think you'll find.

Bari 6

Mokas 20, 37, 64, 83

Passoni 29

Anaclerio 42

Varese 3

Batistuta 27, 45

Moroni 89

A great game for the neutral, but some shocking defending on our part. To concede six shows something is very wrong, and although Bari's strikers are absolutely lethal, we didn't play at our standards. Carlos Duarte, or Mokas as he is commonly known, had a field day, scoring four goals past a pathetic Benussi. 4-2 down at half time showed we were right out of sorts, although Gabi Batistuta showed his experience of playing in big stadiums with 2 to take him to 15 for the season, and his most prolific for Varese. Scant consolation, as was Moroni's 9th of the season late in the day. It's an embarrasing and crushing defeat, but hopefully we're able to come out without it affecting our Serie B status. icon_frown.gif

Eight points clear of relegation, with three to play. Next game against Spezia, should we win, will confirm another season at this level. To be truthful, we've never been in trouble this season. Just consolidating for a season or so, then make a push for glory. Or at least that's the plan icon_biggrin.gif

With no disrespect to Spezia, games at home against the lesser lights of Serie B should be easy points. I bring Girardi in goal for the shambolic Benussi, to face a struggling Spezia we should beat.

Varese 3

Santi 17

Benachour 41 pen

Gresko 52

Spezia 0

I said we should win, and we did quite easily in the end. It took 17 minutes to break through the spirited but weak Spezia back line, Gorini created space for Santi to sidefoot in. Marco Amelia battled bravely to shut out any more goals going past him, keeping out a Rodriguez shot that looked a goal all the way. With 4 minutes left in the first half, Batistuta went clear past Amelia, who tripped the Argentine. Selim Benachour continued his 100% record of conversion with a 4th penalty of the season. And 6 minutes after the restart we made sure of the win after Gresko made a neat one-two with the Tunisian Benachour and rifled in his first goal for us. We didn't need to get out of 3rd gear today, but never needed to.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Gresko, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta

Last away game of the season at promotion chasing Reggina. Hopefully we can upset their push for success in Reggio Calabria today. No changes necessary.

Reggina 3

Foschini 35

Leon 57, 66

Varese 2

Batistuta 38, 82

Gresko injured 79

It looks a tight game, but Reggina were always the dominant force, and had two goals disallowed on top of the three they put past Girardi. Surprisingly it took 35 minutes for I Granata to break us down, but when they did it was Antonio Foschini who was on the end of a cross to beat Girardi. They didn't hold a lead for long though, as Batistuta volleyed in a great equaliser shortly afterwards. We scraped through to half time level, as Foschini had a 2nd ruled out for a push on Tobros. Then Julio Cesar Leon took control. The Honduran had already hit the post before he was flagged for offside on 55 minutes, ruling out his goal. But he scored legitimately 2 minutes later with a fierce drive. Then on 66 minutes he ended any hopes of a point with a pot-shot from Foschini's pass. Batistuta pulled another back late on after a keeping mistake by Reggina's Belardi to make it his most prolific season since joining Roma, but we lost for the 14th time this season. Reggina meanwhile, return to Serie A.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Gresko (Sbrizzo 79), Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta

• Administrators

Last day pride is on the agenda against Empoli. A win will keep us 11th, a defeat 12th. Sbrizzo in for the injured Gresko.

Varese 2

Rodriguez 19

Benachour 45

Empoli 3

Giandomenico 3

Tavano 14

Rocchi 39

I'm annoyed at not winning. Sure, Empoli are a decent side, but we could have done much better on the last day. We weren't alert early on, and Giandomenico capped a good season with the opening goal. Francesco tavano doubled the advantage before the quarter hour mark with a tap in, but Yuri Rodriguez restored the one goal deficit with a header for his 13th of the season - a little disappointing he hasn't scored more. Tommaso Rocchi has scored more. His 39th minute goal was his 25th of the season - oh how I wish we had someone who could do that. Selim Benachour drilled in an impressive goal on half time to reduce the arrears, but Empoli closed things down in the 2nd half and took their win.

Final Standings...

Italian Serie B - Sunday 14th May 2006

2005/6 Table

1st P Vicenza 38 15 4 0 33 7 10 3 6 32 24 82

2nd P Fiorentina 38 16 2 1 42 12 8 3 8 30 27 77

3rd P Reggina 38 15 2 2 47 11 7 5 7 29 29 73

4th P Piacenza 38 11 4 4 30 14 11 2 6 30 19 72

5th Genoa 38 12 2 5 39 19 7 6 6 26 27 65

6th Palermo 38 11 2 6 32 17 8 4 7 28 20 63

7th Bari 38 12 2 5 37 16 6 7 6 31 32 63

8th Udinese 38 10 8 1 32 17 5 4 10 24 29 57

9th Cagliari 38 10 5 4 36 24 5 6 8 26 40 56

10th Ascoli 38 8 4 7 40 35 7 4 8 28 35 53

11th Empoli 38 7 8 4 39 28 4 9 6 27 30 50

12th VARESE 38 9 5 5 34 21 4 5 10 32 40 49

13th Como 38 9 5 5 27 23 4 5 10 20 36 49

14th Modena 38 9 2 8 33 35 5 3 11 16 35 47

15th Pescara 38 8 9 2 32 25 3 3 13 20 44 45

16th Spezia 38 5 2 12 25 42 6 7 6 32 36 42

17th R Crotone 38 7 5 7 32 28 3 4 12 21 33 39

18th R Messina 38 6 5 8 26 34 1 4 14 16 50 30

19th R Catania 38 2 7 10 18 39 2 3 14 9 37 22

20th R Chieti 38 1 7 11 20 38 1 3 15 8 31 16

</pre>

Not bad for our first season at this level, but more on that in my season review. icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

The season in review in and around Europe;

Starting in Italy, where Inter clinched a second successive Scudetto by an 8 point margin from Roma. Cuper's side become the first side to retain the Tricolor shield since theu great Juventus side of 1997 and 1998. Juventus now finish back in 5th, with AC Milan and surprisingly Bologna pipping them to a Champions League spot. Perennial yoyo clubs Sampdoria, Torino and Venezia all once again experience relegation, and Perugia suprisingly join them in the drop. Replacing them from Serie B are Fiorentina, Vicenza, Reggina, and Piacenza.

In Spain Barcelona continue their reign with a 4th straight title win, equalling their successes under Johan Cruyff from 1991-4. Louis Van Gaal's men held off a drive by Bilbao to beat them, and won the title by a convincing 5 point margin. Real Madrid and Betis make up the rest of the top 4, with Deportivo, Espanyol and Atletico Madrid further back. Mallorca drop back to the Segunda division after a long spell in La Liga, and Huelva and Las Palmas join them. Three sides make a welcome return - Alaves, Oviedo, and Sporting de Gijon.

England saw the Man Utd/Liverpool swap fest continue, as Man Utd took the crown from Liverpool by a huge 16 points. Sunderland make 3rd spot, whilst 4th place went suprisingly to Birmingham City. Star of the season was Bolton's Greek strike Manolis Ligkos, scorer of 24 goals and impressing everyone. Going down are Watford, Middlesbrough, and Everton, to be replaced by West Ham, Man City, and Wolves.

To France, where Lyon retained the Championnat trophy by eleven points to second placed Bordeaux, and level with them 3rd placed Nantes. Once again, goals from Sidney Govou and Alberto Luque were too much for everyone to handle, and so Le Guen's men are once again successful. Caen, Cannes, and Metz are relegated, and coming up in their respective places are Sochaux, Nice, and Martigues.

And finally to Germany as Dortmund completed a hat-trick of title wins. 6 points was again the margin of success back to 2nd placed Freiburg, and Koln were an additional 2 points back. FC Bayern finished a lowly 6th - disappointing for Hitzfeld's men. St. Pauli, Kaiserslautern and Nuremburg will be replaced by Darmstadt, MGB and Werder Bremen next season.

My review of the season;

I suppose I should be happy with a consolidatory season in Serie B. After all, Varese haven't played at this level for over 30 years, and with a weaker squad compared to most of the division, we were odds on favourites to be relegated at the start of the season. But our good start put us in great stead for the rest of the season. We had our sticky patches, which can only be expected against quality opposition, but we managed to maintain a solid midtable place for 38 games, something I can be proud of. But we showed enough promise to finish above 12th, especially in the first few months. That's just being picky though, because we should be delighted that we can play and match certain teams at a strong level in Italy - one of the hardest places to play in world football.

The goalkeeping position was usually OK. Sergio Girardi is number one, and his recent call-up to the Italian Under 21 squad proves that. He had a shaky spell, so Francesco Benussi came in and impressed until he went bad - very bad. Our defence struggled at times to come up to Serie B standards, as we conceded 61 goals. But Tobros had an impressive second season, and Gorini was as impressive as ever. Gresko came in and did well on the left, and Cristian Molinaro excelled in the competition against Igor Tcherevchenko to make the right back spot his own.

The midfield, as ever, was impressive and our most settled area. Christian Santi and Stevie Sidwell continue to hone a partnership that is as good as any defensively, and now they're starting to chip in with some goals. This season I used two new wide men - experienced internationals Selim Benachour, and Raffaele Moroni, on loan from Venezia. Both men chipped in with a few goals, 17 goals and 19 assists between them is a very impressive total, and I'm glad to announce that Moroni will be joining us permanently. icon_smile.gif As ever, the cover was excellent.

And to the attack, which was again very good. Yuri Rodriguez came in from Milan and added 13 goals to our cause. That's good, but I was expecting at least 20 from such a quality performer, so it was a little disappointing. Neil Mellor, Max Vieri, Matuesz Dobek, Maurizio Schiavon, and Sebastian Conti all showed they were competent backups at one time or another. Then there is Gabriel Batistuta. A fantastic season - 17 goals is his highest for Varese, and at the age of 37 that's a real achievement. He hasn't said it, but I think he secretly harbours a desire to play in Serie A one last time, and honetly believes Varese is the place to do that. He was great at times, and dug us out of some holes. A shining beacon in our season.

So, what next? This season continued our gradual improvement over time, and give us more time and we'll get better and better and hopefully make the playground where the big boys hang out - Serie A. I'm not sure we're ready for that yet, but if I can get hold of a strong quality centre back, and a striker with a proven track record in Italy to get me 25 goals, we can get better, definitely. icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

Once again it's the time where Awards are given out icon_smile.gif

FIFA World Player of the Year - Ronaldo (Real Madrid)

World Footballer of the Year - Ronaldo (Real Madrid)

Serie B Manager of the Year - Massimo Morales (Vicenza)

Serie A Player of the Year - Adrian Mutu (Parma)

Serie A Young Player of the Year - Felice Piccolo (Verona)

Serie A Defender of the Year - Fabio Rustico (Juventus)

Serie A Top Goalscorer - Claudio Pizarro (Bologna, 19 goals)

Serie A Italian Player of the Year - Christian Vieri (Inter)

Serie A Foreign Player of the Year - Claudio Pizarro (Bologna)

Serie B Player of the Year - Mokas (Bari)

Serie B Top Goalscorer - Davide Di Michele (Reggina, 34 goals)

I've been busy in the summer transfer markets, keeping tabs on a few names and faces. Nothing's concrete yet, but I live in hope. icon_smile.gif

More Awards;

European Footballer of the Year - Luis Figo (Roma)

European Goalkeeper of the Year - Sebastian Frey (Parma)

European Defender of the Year - Wilfried Bouma (Barcelona)

European Midfielder of the Year - Luis Figo (Roma)

European Striker of the Year - Vincenzo Montella (Roma)

once again, Batistuta is the Fans Player of the Year for the 3rd time in a row. There could be no other. icon_smile.gif

We're drawn in the Italian Cup Group C along with Frosinone, Genoa, and Ancona. A little easier than last season, but I'm not complacent, and we'll take each one as it comes.

I also have a meeting with Fabrizio Cabrini, Aniello Manganelli, and the rest of the board on what the future holds. They admit there's little or no money to spend on players, and what we have is just enough to cover wages and costs. However, they are particularly pleased at the progress we continue to make, and state another consolidatory season in Serie B as the aim for the forthcoming season. I agree to an extent, although I want an improvement in terms of league placings.

In today come Raffaele Moroni on a permanent basis, and Piotr Frankowski - another Pole like Dobek, who was prolific in lower league football. With some luck and development, they'll both evolve into quality players, icon_smile.gif

But my hopes of signing prolific Aussie/Italian Kevo Gulessarian - the poor man's Christian Vieri - from Marconi have been scuppered by the board icon_mad.gif They think my bid was unrealistic. icon_rolleyes.gif How can they expect success when they won't let me get the players to do so.

Today saw the retirement of Roberto Bandirali. The veteran centre back has served the club as a player for a number of years, and I'm deligted to have him in a coaching capacity. He's a wonderful influence for the younger players here. icon_smile.gif

Decent strikers are a rare commodity, but after some time I think I've found someone who can score consistently at Serie B level. Emanuele Calaio - formerly of Torino and Messina, is a talented frontman who has scored 44 goals in 2 and a half seasons at Messina before they released him. I pick him up for nothing (what else?) and I think he's a really good player.

The upset of upsets occured in Berlin this evening. Croatia won the 18th FIFA World Cup with a 1-0 win over Argentina thanks to an 81st minute strike by River Plate's Ivan Bosnjak. Against all odds, Ivo Susak's men did it.

In the desperate need for funds I sell Neil Mellor to Dutch side Cambuur today for just short of £1m - which is a very large sum for a club our size. If the board let me have that money, I'd be delighted. But they won't icon_frown.gif

Two more players arrive today, and there should be no more additions after these. Martins, a Nigerian striker stuck in the reserves at Inter, has joined on a 6 year contract, and is a very pacy individual - a feature that when looking at the top goalscorers last season cropped up very often. So he's a decent addition. I also bring in a goalkeeper as backup to Girardi. Brescia's Michel Zanfretta is here until the end of January, and doesn't look half bad.

-------------

right, so an uneventful pre-season is out of the way, now back to business icon_smile.gif

G'day Junichi! icon_smile.gif

Just caught up on your first season in Serie B, and you did a good job maintaining your club's status in the division. Now with a couple of good strikers (in my game, Calaio goes on to represent Italy and signs for AC Milan for a high fee), you should be able to improve even further.

I look forward to further updates! icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Dixie

The end of the season looked promising (except the last few games) A few improvements to the squad during the summer and you might be fighting for promotion next season, good job!

but I guess Batigoal is getting pretty old now, so yo should probably find yourself a new star striker

Go Varese!

*Best story ever*

• Administrators

Cheers Dixie - anything is possible. Unfortunately I think Calaio was far superior on you version (00/01), but I hope that he can be that good.

Spooky - thanks for the praise, but I'm not sure this is the best story ever. Take a look at Dixie's masterpiece, or ARLTB by Sir Bert Merton in HoF - they're far superior to this. icon_smile.gif Cheers anyway though.

• Administrators

Lets go again, into Serie B.....

-----------------

Pre-season warmup - or the Coppa Italia as it's known, gets underway with a trip to Serie C1/B side Frosinone (how they're in the Coppa Italia I'll never know). Calaio makes his debut in the reveered number 10 shirt, but not in the number 10 role, if you get me icon_biggrin.gif

Frosinone 0

Varese 5

Sidwell 8

Batistuta 29, 79

Santi 36

Benachour 58 pen

Couldn't have had a nicer way to start up again. It was exactly what we needed to get the juices flowing and remember what we're good at. Frosinone are a long way behind us, and it showed early on. Stevie Sidwell's early tenacity was rewarded with his 4th goal for the club, a neat finish from about ten yards out. Batistuta continued the scoring with a powerful shot from a wide angle, and Santi's 36th minute goal was similar, to give us a 3-0 lead at half time. I had the choice to make subs, but I decided against it to keep my first choice eleven playing as much as possible. Benachour dispatched a penalty won by Gorini short of the hour mark, and finally Batistuta completed the rout with a follow up to Moroni's saved drive. As I said, a decent warm up, but nothing more.

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Gresko, Gorini ©, Tobros, Sidwell, Santi, Benachour, Moroni, Calaio, Batistuta

After the kickabout last week, business picks up now with a visit from Genoa, and their newly acquired attacker Jon Dahl Tomasson. Will this be an indication of our league fortunes to come?

Varese 3

Calaio 9

Moroni 24

Benachour 60

Genoa 0

The answer to the question above is; hopefully icon_biggrin.gif . Two games, 8 goals, none conceded, and we're playing well. And Genoa had a pretty strong side out today, so it's quite an impressive win. Emanuele Calaio scored his first goal for Varese when breaking clear on the left, then rifling into the bottom corner. An impressive finish from a player I hope will produce more of the same icon_smile.gif . Raffaele Moroni opened his account for the season with a curler past the despairing Ripa in Genoa's goal, and we fully deserved a two goal advantage. When Selim Benachour crashed in an unstoppable third with a half volley, we secured all three points, and with it a very good win over a side expected to figure in the promotion challenge picture. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Gresko, Gorini ©, Tobros, Sidwell, Santi, Benachour, Moroni, Calaio, Batistuta

The League season start couldn't be harder, with a visit from Venezia, who were a Serie A side 4 months ago. As a result, they have some real quality. But we've made a good start to the season, and it makes for an interesting match.

Varese 1

Sidwell 79

Venezia 2

Paulo Costa 12

Di Michele 21

Our unbeaten home record has gone icon_biggrin.gif . It's not actually a laughing matter, as I don't like losing the opening game of the season, and I like to have a fortress at the Franco Ossola. Venezia are a good team, but we could have had a draw if we'd have had some sort of focus. Portuguese international Paulo Costa headed in the opener, and shortly afterwards Davide Di Michele, opting to join Venezia over staying with Reggina in Serie A, volleyed in his first for his new club. We improved, but only Sidwell and Moroni really showed any bite, and it wasn't a surprise that the two combined for the ex-Arsenal man to score what turned out to be only a consolation. Still, it may only be a minor setback, as long as we win our next league game.

• Administrators

A point away at Ancona will see our progression through the group phase of the Coppa Italia. Ancona shouldn't cause us too many problems.

Ancona 2

Bjelanovic 10

Melissano 23

Gozzi sent off 62

Varese 3

Moroni 25, 45

Batistuta 66

Santi injured 68

But they nearly did. 2-0 down inside 25 minutes was not the way I expected to start the match. Ex Como and Chievo man Sasa Bjelanovic gave Ancona the lead with a header that ricocheted in off him. Captain Stefano Melissano doubled the headed tally for the home side 13 minutes later, and we were in dire straits. But Raffaele Moroni scored a sweet curling strike almost immediately to get us back in the match, and a header on 45 minutes that just trickled over the line was the most important thing in the match - to get level before half time was a big boost. Gabriele Gozzi was then sent off for the home side for headbutting Calaio - definitely the right decision, before Batistuta drilled in the goal that gave us the lead and eventually the win. Christian Santi twisted a knee and will be out for 2 weeks, but now we're through to the latter stages of the Coppa Italia. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Gresko, Gorini ©, Tobros, Sidwell, Santi (Fuoco 68), Benachour, Moroni, Calaio, Batistuta

I'm hoping for a big side in the draw, not only for the financial benefits, but also for the chance to prove ourselves against quality opposition.

..................We end up meeting Chievo Verona, a well established Serie A side. I'll take that icon_smile.gif

The international break was good for us, as we've been able to work on a few things in anticipation of a tough visit from Sampdoria - another side with recent Serie A experience, and quality players in the shape of Enrico Chiesa, Domenico Morfeo, and Andreas Oliveira. Santi is replaced by Fuoco.

Varese 2

Benachour 47

Sidwell 85

Sampdoria 2

Chiesa 4

Morfeo 73

This result is a vast improvement over the performance against Venezia. We showed the passion to get something out of the game, and against an impressive Sampdoria side it looked hard to get, but we came back from the dead twice to take a point. Enrico Chiesa's early strike was the only goal of a first half dominated by the Blucerchiati, and we weren't doing enough. Calaio was disappointing, so I gave ex-Inter youngster Martins a debut. Within 2 minutes he was involved in a move that lead to Benachour equalising with a cross-cum-shot from the right wing. icon_smile.gif Sampdoria carried on dominating, and they again took the advantage when Domenico Morfeo tapped past Girardi to score what looked to be a winning goal. But we equalised again. A demon of a cross was put in by Benachour, and all that was needed was a runner to meet it full on. Sidwell was that runner, heading it straight past Brunner to score another goal - 3 already for this season. And the point was well deserved. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Gresko, Gorini ©, Tobros, Sidwell, Fuoco, Benachour, Moroni, Calaio (Martins 45), Batistuta

Neither ourselves or Cosenza have made the best of starts to the season, but I hope the trip to the San Vito will be easy enough to claim our first win of the season. Martins impressed enough in 45 minutes against Sampdoria to start ahead of Calaio.

Cosenza 1

Perrone 16

Varese 3

Batistuta 18, 36

Gorini 74

Gresko sent off 23

Another impressive performance warranting the full points, and to play for so long with 10 men and still come out winning was something I was particularly pleased with. Giuseppe Perrone gave the Rossoblu a lead with a diving header to connect with marani's cross. But Gabriel Batistuta has been great so far this season. Whatever the 37 year old is taking, I want some, as he scored twice today to make it 5 in 6. The equaliser was a lovely strike after jinking past Oshadogan, who must have wondered how a man nearing the end of his career glided past him so easily. Vratislav Gresko was sent off for kicking an opponent, and will be punished by the club's disciplinary procedures. So I was forced into a reshuffle, leaving holes in the midfield. But on 36 minutes Batigol put us into the lead with a volley following a 2nd assist from Sidwell. Edoardo Gorini thundered a header home with about 15 minutes to go from Moroni's corner to cap a good showing, and our first three points in the League. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Gresko, Gorini ©, Tobros, Sidwell, Fuoco (Sbrizzo 23), Benachour, Moroni, Martins, Batistuta

• Administrators

Luigi Del Neri has promised me he will field a full strength Chievo side for their visit for the first leg of the Coppa Italia 1st Round. That means we'll have a test against a very good Serie A squad. Santi can return in place of Fuoco.

Varese 0

Benachour injured 91

Chievo 0

A clean sheet and avoiding defeat against a team in another league above ourselves is something which shows the progression we've made as a side in all the time I've been here. It also shows we can live with some Serie A sides, although to be fair the Flying Donkeys were far superior today. Massimiliano Giacobbo claimed an opener on 6 minutes, but clearly used his hand to beat Girardi, so Pier Francesco Cenni ruled it out. Both goalkeepers were in fantastic form, but the fact that captain Cristiano Lupatelli was voted Man of the Match tells you something about our attacking threats. Martins again impressed - if he adds goals to his game he'll be a talent to watch. Another good result, even if the ref made us wait with 7 minutes of injury time icon_redface.gif

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Gresko, Gorini ©, Tobros, Sidwell, Santi, Benachour, Moroni, Martins, Batistuta

Benachour injured his achilles tendon and needs two months on the sidelines icon_frown.gif . I guess it's a chance for Marijan Buljat to get some first team football for the first time since breaking his ankle.

For his violent dismissal against Cosenza, Vratislav Gresko has been banned for a total of 8 games. icon_frown.gif I think 8 games is too steep - 3 would have done, but that's football authorities for you.

We're without Benachour and Gresko for the trip to Spezia, so Buljat and Sbrizzo make returns after a spell on the sidelines.

Spezia 0

Varese 3

Santi 28

Batistuta 33

Martins 38

Martins sent off 68

Another comfortable win overshadowed by an incident which will cost us dear. The match saw a tight opening, with Spezia looking for a goal but not finding it. On 28 minutes, a fine team move ended with Sidwell supplying his central midfield partner Christian Santi for a volley to put us ahead. 5 minutes later Batistuta struck a loose ball past Enrico Milan to double the lead. And when Martins found Batistuta's cross too easy to miss, we had a 3-0 lead, with all the goals coming in a 10 minute spell. For Batistuta's and Martins' goals, then defence just couldn't handle their movement. That was it in terms of goals, as we had everything sewn up, but a complete moment of madness from Martins, who headbutted Castorina, will see him get another ban similar to Gresko's, and will be deserved. He will also be severly punished for his actions. But we're getting back to some nice form now. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Sbrizzo, Gorini ©, Tobros, Sidwell, Santi, Buljat, Moroni, Martins, Batistuta

Emauele Calaio will get some playing time, as Martins has an 8 game ban; starting today against Pescara, who have a 100% record - played 4, lost 4. I'd hope to get 3 more points.

Varese 1

Batistuta 30

Pescara 1

Iaquinta 90

Well, you play with fire and you get burnt. We should have scored more than one goal, and in the end we were punished for not doing so. Pescara's central defensive partnership of Venturelli and Amoruso were tough to break through, and it was only Batistuta that could do so on 30 minutes, as he found himself on the end of Moroni's cross to score again. We should have had a penalty for a trip on Batistuta, but Andrea Bo turned down the appeal. In injury time, dangerous striker Vincenzo Iaquinta headed home a desperate equaliser to take home a point for the struggling Southerners, and I feel like we've dropped points today rather than gained.

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Sbrizzo, Gorini ©, Tobros, Sidwell, Santi, Buljat, Moroni, Calaio, Batistuta

• Administrators

A trip to the Renato Curi, and to face Perugia, a team who were in Serie A for a good number of seasons, and as such have an extremely decent squad. But then again, so do we, and it'll be a good footballing game today. Max Vieri gets chosen ahead of Calaio, who's out of sorts at the moment.

Perugia 0

Varese 3

Batistuta 7

Moroni 45

Dobek 53

Moroni injured 48

One of my proudest wins as Varese manager. Perugia are an impressive force, and as such were a very big ask today. But we came out playing some beautiful football, and with a comprehensive winning margin. Sidwell created the opening goal for Batistuta, who put it away as he has done all season. The rest of the first half caused us some problems, especially from Francesco Flachi, who hit the post twice, and had Girardi save 3 more attempts in style. Then, in first half injury time, Raffaele Moroni drilled in low past the giant Zelkjo Kalac to double our lead at a crucial time. The San Marino winger then received an injury after half time, and in my stuoidity I had elected not to choose a left winger on the subs bench icon_rolleyes.gif . So I decided to push Mateusz Dobek onto the wing, telling him to get forwards, and lo and behold the lad scored icon_biggrin.gif , heading home Santi's corner. In fact, Dobek and Vieri caused no end of problems for the home side, and we could have had four or five, but I'll certainly settle for three. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Sbrizzo, Gorini ©, Tobros, Sidwell, Santi, Buljat, Moroni (Dobek 48), Vieri, Batistuta

Moroni strained some knee ligaments and may be out for short of a month. we have an international break coming up, so it isn't so bad.

I'm looking for a comfortable three points against a struggling Ascoli side lead by 'prolific' striker Ade Akinbiyi. Mateusz Dobek impressed so much as a sub in Umbria last week that he starts ahead of the injured Moroni, in what is our only change.

Ascoli 1

Romeo 90

Varese 3

Dobek 15

Batistuta 39, 75

As I hoped, we continue a good run of form in a win that always looked like coming. We dictated the pace of the game, and Ascoli weren't ever in it. Mateusz Dobek headed in his second goal in as many appearances from a Christian Santi free kick to open the scoring. The Pole is starting to impress a few big names now, and I can't say the praise isn't justified. As one new name makes an impact, another name just continues to impress. Gabriel Batistuta is playing some amazing football, as if he's a teenager again. He extended the lead 6 minutes before half time by heading Max Vieri's cross past floundering veteran keeper Luca Bucci. Stevie Sidwell was the creator of the side's third, Batistuta's tenth of the season, and 50th goal for Varese - a tally coming in 114 games, which is quite impressive. icon_smile.gif . This goal was an emphatic volley after finding an acre of space to tee it up in. Dario Romeo's late consolation disappointed me a little, as a clean sheet is always a boost for the back five, but we're temporarily up to third place. icon_cool.gif

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Sbrizzo, Gorini ©, Tobros, Sidwell, Santi, Buljat, Dobek, Vieri, Batistuta

I see no need to make changes for the visit of Avellino, who are struggling at the bottom. But my scouting team reckon they have a nifty strike force. I still expect three points.

Varese 0

Avellino 2

Caracciolo 62, 67

Believe me, I'm not impressed icon_mad.gif . We didn't turn up, thinking we could play half-arsed and win at a canter. Avellino wanted it more, and fully deserved the points. It costs us the end of an eight game unbeaten run, and we're going to drop down in the league as a result. Andrea Caracciolo volleyed home a stunning first and tapped in an easy second to take the points for the Verdiblancos. Quite why we're able to pull off victories at Perugia but not at home to relegation threatened teams is beyond me. icon_mad.gif

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Sbrizzo, Gorini ©, Tobros, Sidwell, Santi, Buljat, Dobek, Vieri, Batistuta

And looking at the stats we're yet to win a home game, which I am severely annoyed at. 2 points from 12 at home is pathetic.

• Administrators

Hopefully we can return to winning ways away at Ancona. I go in unchanged, as we're better away than at home, plus Ancona are bottom and I'd like to think we can win.

Ancona 0

Varese 0

At least we didn't lose, but our lack of scoring worries me somewhat. Batistuta's chipped in with ten, but Vieri, Martins, and Calaio have only contributed one between them, and frankly that has to improve if we're to attempt to go up. The game wasn't anything special, and Ancona got the point they defended for. Bjelanovic had the home side's best chance, driving wide when he should have hit the target. Our best chance fell to Sidwell, who's lob came close to beating Domenico Pace but the keeper made it back to tip the ball over. We've got Chievo away in midweek, which might prove a tougher opponent than today, in which case we're in trouble.

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Sbrizzo (Molinaro 79), Gorini ©, Tobros, Sidwell, Santi, Buljat, Dobek, Vieri (Calaio 79), Batistuta

For the Coppa Italia match at Chievo, Martins and Gresko can return as their bans are League only. So we're lining up a little stronger, but without our main strike wingers.

Chievo 1

Testa 21

Varese 1

Fuoco 61

Batistuta sent off 16

Santi injured 15

By virtue of Marco Fuoco's 61st minute goal, we qualify on away goals. icon_biggrin.gif And considering we had two of our most influential players removed early in the game, this is a major achievement. Christian Santi went off injured in the 15th minute with a twisted knee that should keep him out for two weeks. A minute later, Batistuta was sent off rather harshly for a late tackle, that wasn't as dangerous as it first looked. Depending on the competition rules, I'll appeal based on television evidence showing that the tackle didn't warrant a red card. And then it became worse, as Marco Testa drove home his first of the season from 25 yards. We were not however outclassed, and although it took some time, Marco Fuoco snatched a fabulous equaliser. Having come on as a sub for Santi, he jinked through the Chievo back line before lofting the ball over Lupatelli, for the away goal we craved. To knock a strong Serie A side out is briliant, and now we can hope for a big side, for some big money.

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Gresko, Gorini ©, Tobros, Sidwell, Santi (Fuoco 15), Buljat, Dobek, Martins, Batistuta

I really couldn't ask for a bigger tie than the one we've been given. The first game out of the hat was...

---Milan vs Varese---

AC Milan! icon_cool.gif A two legged affair, which we probably won't stand a chance in, but it could mean a big payday, and give my squad a chance to face some of the greatest players in world football.

Back home, and a visit from Udinese. Are we to finally win at home, or continue this baffling run of form. Sebastian Conti is the latest option to be considered up front to get us goals, and Raffaele Moroni can return on the wing. But elsewhere, we're pretty weakened.

Varese 0

Udinese 0

So it's four games without a win, and only one goal in those four games. It doesn't bode too well, but at least we haven't lost too many of those games. Today was very similar to the previous few matches; the visitors looking dangerous, but we couldn't find the goal to kill the game off. Brazilian Warley and dogged Italian international Giannichedda ran the show, and both came close to scoring, but thankfully Girardi was in top nick. Moroni was our most dangerous player, but didn't score, and had to come off at the end, what with not being able to play 90 minutes quite yet after a month on the sidelines. And we still can't win at home - the victory over Genoa in the Cup in August was the last time we tasted success at the Franco Ossola; and coincidence would have it that Genoa are the next side to come here. Something needs to change.

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Loria, Gorini ©, Tobros, Sidwell, Fuoco, Buljat, Moroni (Dobek 75), Conti, Batistuta

• Administrators

Romanian winger Ianis Zicu joined on a free transfer yesterday, and with our very weakened squad I am forced to pick him on the left side for the trip to Spal. We're badly out of form and need to get something.

Spal 2

Luizinho 79 pen

Temelin 90

Amerini sent off 54

Varese 1

Zicu 24

Tobros sent off 25

I am so gutted. We did not deserve to lose this, and the referee was an abolsute joke. An early piledriver from Gorini thumped the crossbar to show our attacking promise. And it was the Romanian winger Zicu, on his debut, who opened the scoring after being assisted by the returning Benachour. Then Signor Flavio Ferencevic took centre stage. He dismissed Niko Tobros for a routine foul, the likes of which you see every week. icon_mad.gif So I had to do without Calaio and bring Simac on to defend, making his first appearance in over a year. He did well enough, but we couldn't defend so well for so long. Signor Ferencevic was soon at it again on 54 minutes, dismissing Daniele Amerini for a hack on Fuoco. But even at ten-a-side, we couldn't do it. icon_frown.gif Tcherevchenko was adjudged to have fouled Temelin, obviously the ref was working on the 'if at first you don't succeed to cheat Varese, try and try again icon_mad.gif ' idea. Luizinho stroked in the equaliser, but I still harboured belief. In injury time Gianluca Temellin tapped in the winner to send us into even more of a rot. Hopefully we can end the rot when everyone is back fit.

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Loria, Gorini ©, Tobros, Sidwell, Fuoco, Benachour, Zicu, Calaio (Simac 25), Batistuta

I'll appeal against Tobros' ban, but won't challenge the FA on the officiating. It never comes to anything.

To compound my misery, Batigol will be out of two weeks with a thigh strain. icon_frown.gif More injury worries, and we've got AC Milan coming up.

And Niko Tobros will serve a one match ban.

And so the visit of Genoa, on television. Team shuffling continues, with Sbrizzo, Gresko, Santi, Dobek and Frankowski coming in, but Loria, Fuoco, Batistuta, Tobros and Conti are out. Genoa were the last side to lose here, and hopefully we'll win.

Varese 0

Genoa 1

Yorke 5

I'm getting more and more disheartened. icon_frown.gif There's clearly something wrong with the side, as they just can't score, and are always losing to the odd goal. Dwight Yorke's 5th minute tap in was Genoa's only attack of note, and no matter what we did the goal just wouldn't come. None of my relatively young side embarrased themselves; indeed Dobek and Frankowski lead the line well - they just can't score. I think it shows Moroni, Batistuta and Martins have more of an effect than we knew.

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Gresko, Gorini ©, Sbrizzo, Sidwell, Santi, Benachour (Calaio 74), Zicu, Dobek, Frankowski

It's clearly not the best form to be going into a match with Milan at the San Siro in. Their strikers are going to have a field day - unless I can find a way of boosting morale.

In a desperate attempt to get us in a good mood, we have a day out in Milan before our visit to the San Siro later in the evening. I'm under no illusions that Inzaghi, Seedorf, Pirlo etc will all play and will be far too good for us. But I'm not afraid of going with the intent of attacking.

Milan 4

Rodriguez 22, 71

Inzaghi 25, 90

Varese 0

4-0 was probably about right, but what hurts me most was the two goals by Yuri Rodriguez, who served us well last season. The Milan giants were far superior, and helped pile on more misery for us. Seven games without a win now, and only two goals in that period. So much for free flowing attacking football. We had our chances, mainly through Moroni, but he wasn't as clinical as Rodriguez and Inzaghi were. Still, there's a second leg, and we'll win that 5-0. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Gresko, Gorini ©, Tobros, Sidwell, Santi (Frankowski 87), Benachour, Moroni (Zicu 87), Martins, Calaio

• Administrators

Hopefully we'll be all the wiser for the game against Milan, and the trip to Como is the next point of us trying to end our rotten run. I can name ten of my first eleven names - with Batistuta the one name missing.

Como 2

Becerra 48, 72

Varese 4

Santi 7

Martins 12

Moroni 15

Sidwell 74

Tcherevchenko injured 24

AT LAST! We finally find that winning formula after 46 days without winning, and the key to it all was early scoring. Just seven minutes in Christian Santi lead by example and beat Antonio Chimenti from 12 yards. Five minutes later Martins struck with a wonderful break and curling effort past the keeper. It was the Nigerian's first match back after an 8 game ban. Then it was three, with Moroni slamming in from a tight angle. The hapless Chimenti was then substituted, and replacement Andrea Campagnolo performed well to keep us at bay. Early in the second half Como pulled one back, prolifc Colombian international Elson Evellio Becerra smashing past Girardi. Como obviously sensed something, as they pressed and scored another through the Colombian hitman. Now the panic was kicking in, but the 4th goal summed everything up. Our best run of form came early in the season, when Stevie Sidwell was scoring. The young Englishman scored his fourth of the season - a career best tally - to give us the barrier we needed, and the goal which broke Como's resolve. We're back on track, but this MUST continue next week at home to Modena.

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko (Molinaro 24), Gresko, Gorini ©, Tobros, Sidwell, Santi, Benachour, Moroni, Martins, Vieri

Just as the team is getting back to normal, Tcherevchenko will be out for a month, but Molinaro can come in comfortably. Edoardo Gorini will be suspended after picking up too many bookings.

As the team looked to be getting back to normal, I make do without Gorini, Tcherevchenko, and Santi for the match. Batistuta returns, and captains the side against Modena.

Varese 3

Moroni 8, 62, 74

Modena 1

Kamara 58

At the seventh time of asking we break our winless duck at home. icon_smile.gif Our first victory this season at the Franco Ossola was mainly due to the brilliance of Raffaele Moroni. He is a sheer delight to watch, and even better to work with. HIs opener on 8 minutes was typical of the San Marino captain - a sliding run executed with a curling shot into the corner. As ever, we stayed on top without scoring, and lead at the break. But Modena had looked dangerous, and they equalised as Diomansy Kamara evaded the offside trap to beat Girardi. But Moroni brought us back into the lead with a sharp finish to meet Benachour's cross from the right. Moroni completed his first hat-trick for Varese in the best style possible. A 74th minute free kick was sent over the wall and into the top corner past the despairing dive of Pagotto, for a wonderful goal. The form seems to be reappearing, and we've got Milan around the corner.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gresko, Sbrizzo, Tobros, Sidwell, Fuoco, Benachour, Moroni, Martins, Batistuta©

I don't expect to beat Milan, just to put up a respectable performance. Batistuta's suspension means I send out a side with an average age of 25 to face one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Varese 0

Girardi sent off 90

Milan 2

Pirlo 43, 90 pen

We performed admirably against a side superior in every sense of the word. We weren't shamed, and at times worried the Rossoneri back line, as Benachour and Calaio each came close twice, the Tunisian forcing a wonderful save from Dida. A goal at the end of each half was our undoing, as Andrea Pirlo showed the difference in class. A first half lob and a second half penalty gave Ancelotti's men a 6-0 aggregate victory. Sergio Girardi fouled Inzaghi for the penalty, and was unfortunately dismissed. I feel for him, and will appeal as there was little need for the red card so late in the day. Still, my disappointment is tempered with the fact we were the last remaining Serie B team, and showed we can attack some of the best around. It also gives us perspective of where we're at currently.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Sidwell, Fuoco, Benachour, Moroni, Martins (Zanfretta 90), Calaio (Vieri 45)

• Administrators

We start a run of tough games away at high flying Palermo. It'll be quite a hard game, but we've had some good form recently, and could take a point.

Palermo 2

Morrone 39, 83

Varese 1

Batistuta 90

Sidwell sent off 90

And so Morrone scores again - yet it wasn't my Moroni, rather Palermo's Stefano Morrone - who took the points. We were mainly controlled by our hosts, and probably deserved the win. Morrone headed Palermo in fron short before half time, but the second half went our way, but no goals came from the attempts of Moroni and Batistuta. Morrone drilled in number two with very little time to go, but we showed some fight in injury time. Batistuta headed in Benachour's cross, then Fuoco headed over when he should have hit the target. Then Stevie Sidwell decided to lose it completely and headbutt Kewullay Conteh in the face, and was sent off. He'll get a lengthy ban, and with tough matches coming he'll be a bad loss.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Sidwell, Fuoco, Benachour, Moroni, Martins, Batistuta

Our match this weekend has been moved to Monday night for television purposes. Cagliari are in town to continue our hard run, as the islanders are top of the league and looking to improve their chances of reaching Serie A.

Varese 1

Moroni 63

Cagliari 1

Suazo 10

Drawing against Cagliari is a point gained in my consideration, after some poor home form, which still continues. But we have hope in the fact Cagliari's home form is just as bad, and if they can be 2nd in the table so can we. Honduran international Davide Suazo glanced an early header past Girardi, and to be honest the writing looked to be on the wall. But Girardi pulled out everything possible to keep the deficit to a solitary figure, which then played to our benefits. Raffaele Moroni has been the star of our season to date, and scored another contender for goal of the season. Picking the ball up on the halfway line, he beat Camorani, Suazo, Kuffour and Frara before putting the ball into the back of the net for a sensational equaliser. icon_smile.gif Gabi Batistuta hit the crossbar, and we could have won, but a point will suffice.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Fuoco, Santi, Benachour, Moroni, Martins, Batistuta

Empoli away is again a tough ask. We may have drawn with Cagliari, but I feel Empoli will present something else. I go in unchanged for our last match before Christmas.

Empoli 2

Rocchi 82

Di Natale 89

Varese 1

Martins 48

The amount of times this has happened.... icon_frown.gif . It took a similar pattern to so many other matches - dominated by our opponents for the first half, fight back strong in the second half, then have the points cruelly snatched from us late, late, late on. Empoli had two goals - both from Tommaso Rocchi - chalked off for offside in the first half, so we can't say there wasn't warning. But we were better in the second half, and through Martins we took the lead. The Nigerian hasn't scored too many, but his third of the season was a typically strong burst and calm finish. I couldn't help but feel we needed another goal, and so it proved. Benachour shaved the far post with a swerving drive, and just 30 seconds later Empoli broke, and Rocchi got the goal he craved. A point would still have been good, but Antonio Di Natale broke our hearts with a late header to keep the points at home. icon_frown.gif I'm gutted again.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Fuoco, Santi, Benachour, Moroni, Martins, Batistuta

In the winter break I hope to seal a couple of deals for strikers to give us a better chance of improving upon our current 10th place. If we can win a few on the bounce, we can make a push for the top four.

• Administrators

2007 starts positively, as I bring in two loan strikers. Carlos Alberto Viera Dos Santos is a very quick and agile attacking player who joins from Palermo until June. Joining for the same period of time is Jamaican international Ricardo Fuller from Bolton. If one of these livewires can shoot us to glory I'll be delighted. icon_smile.gif

I also agree to sign Finnish international Juho Makela from Anderlecht in the summer. It goes without saying this lad is something special, and could be the eventual replacement for the now 37 year old Batistuta.

Hopefully the new additions can benefit us at home to Bari, who are top of the league. Fuller starts up front, and Santos gets a place on the bench.

Varese 0

Tcherevchenko injured 45

Bari 1

Menezes Guimares 45

Harsh again. We played some decent stuff, but one unlucky moment when we had to reshape defensively cost us dear. Igor Tcherevchenko went off injured on his return from injury, and Molinaro came on. In the hassle of that, Carlos Menezes Guimares volleyed in the only goal. icon_frown.gif Ricardo Fuller had a moderately impressive debut, but couldn't find the net. Santos came on late to get involved, did show some positive signs, but another disappointing performance overall. If we're not careful we'll be dragged back into trouble.

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko (Molinaro 45), Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Fuoco, Santi, Benachour (Santos 76), Moroni, Fuller, Batistuta

And so to Turin (but not as I'd have hoped). My first managerial experience of the Stadio Delle Alpi is our trip there to face Torino - who aren't playing as well as they'd have liked. And to put things in a worse light, Tcherevchenko, Tobros, and Fuoco are all missing. Santos starts.

Torino 1

Constantino 14

Varese 1

Fuller 50

A draw isn't bad, but we haven't won since November. Veteran attacker Raffaele Constantino's early header was sole reward for a first half of complete dominance by Torino. But we came out better in the second half - more aggressive, and Ricardo Fuller headed in his first Varese goal. The rest of the match was hardly worth mentioning. As I said, a draw is better than nothing, but we need three points more regularly.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gresko, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Santos, Santi, Benachour, Moroni, Fuller, Batistuta

We are currently 11th in the League

Italian Serie B - Sunday 7th January 2007

2006/7 Table

1st Bari 19 6 3 1 22 13 6 2 1 15 7 41

2nd Venezia 19 6 2 2 23 10 6 1 2 12 9 39

3rd Cagliari 19 6 4 0 14 3 4 4 1 9 6 38

4th Empoli 19 7 2 1 25 13 4 1 4 12 11 36

5th Perugia 19 5 4 1 20 14 4 4 1 16 12 35

6th Udinese 19 7 2 0 15 5 3 2 5 11 12 34

7th Torino 19 5 4 1 14 6 4 1 4 15 12 32

8th Genoa 18 6 3 0 13 5 3 0 6 8 14 30

9th Sampdoria 19 4 4 1 15 7 1 7 2 11 12 26

10th Modena 19 4 2 4 15 17 3 3 3 14 14 26

11th VARESE 19 1 4 4 8 11 5 2 3 20 11 24

12th Palermo 19 5 2 3 13 6 1 3 5 14 16 23

13th Como 18 4 2 3 13 12 1 3 5 11 18 20

14th Spal 18 2 2 5 10 17 3 3 3 10 12 20

15th Ancona 18 2 2 5 4 8 2 4 3 11 15 18

16th Avellino 18 2 3 3 12 16 2 3 5 17 22 18

17th Ascoli 19 2 2 5 11 15 2 1 7 9 22 15

18th Spezia 18 3 1 5 10 17 1 1 7 7 18 14

19th Pescara 19 3 0 6 15 20 0 3 7 6 17 12

20th Cosenza 19 2 1 6 10 22 1 1 8 9 22 11

</pre>

• Administrators

The nightmare continues with Venezia away, and there's still no sign of light at the end of the tunnel. Tobros is back, but we're still missing important names.

Venezia 3

Di Michele 6

Ciotti 11

Paulo Costa 16

Varese 0

We need help icon_frown.gif We have only taken two points from the last 18 on offer, but because of our good start to the season we have still maintained a midtable position. Some abysmal defending saw us concede three early goals, and therefore never had a chance of winning. Davide Di Michele drilled on number one, and Girardi dropped a cross for Ciotti to double the lead. Venezia further expressed their dominance with Paulo Costa's header, and Venezia had the points. For all our trying we couldn't score, as we came back a better side. But the run is getting worse - something needs to change.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Santos, Santi, Benachour, Moroni, Fuller, Batistuta

Our last six games have been against sides in the top 8, and the next two against Perugia and Sampdoria are both in there as well. Then it looks a bit better, but we need to stop losing.

Our finest hour came away in chocolate country when we won 3-0 in Perugia. Could their visit prove a turning point?

Varese 1

Moroni 49

Perugia 2

Flachi 2

Miccoli 18

It's becoming a regular occurence - dire play early on, and then a recovery where we dominate but haven't got that certain something to get a result. Flachi beat Girardi very early on to continue what's been happening for such a long time now, and then pocket dynamo Fabrizio Miccoli skilfully turned his way to goal and cracked in the 2nd, and what turned out to be the winner. The first half was horrific, but the second was very nice for us. Moroni sent a free kick into the top corner, and so we were back in it. Fuller and Santi were brilliant, but Perugia just about hung on. We're down to 12th now. icon_frown.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Fuoco (Sbrizzo 45), Santi, Benachour, Moroni, Fuller, Batistuta (Calaio 86)

The Luigi Ferraris, Genoa. Home of Sampdoria. And here we are in some poor (an understatement!) form. I have to be bold, so out go Fuoco, Benachour and Batistuta, and in come Sbrizzo, Santos and Calaio.

Sampdoria 1

C.Colombo 60

Varese 2

Santos 3

Santi 5

It feels good to be winning again. icon_smile.gif Although it was pretty tense at the end. We started so well for a change, as Viera Dos Santos excelled in his new rolw. In the first incident of the game he broke through the heart of the Blucerciati defence and rifled past Turci. Our second was fortunate - Christian Santi looked for a long ball to the back post. Turci called to claim but missed, and the ball bounced in. icon_biggrin.gif The first half belonged to us, but Calaio, now leading the line as the senior striker, missed a real chance of a third. Sampdoria opened the second half all guns blazing, and got something back by way of Corrado Colombo's first of the season. We were under immense pressure, but Girardi, after a couple of recent shockers, had another brilliant day. The win ends the run of defeats and draws, alleviates the pressure of relegation (a word I haven't had to use often), and ends the run against the bigger sides.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Santi, Santos, Moroni, Fuller, Calaio

• Administrators

From one end of the league to the other. Cosenza are bottom, but have a half decent side, led by Mate Bilic - their dangerous Croatian attacker. I am tempted to stay unchanged, but Tcherevchenko replaces Molinaro at the eleventh hour.

Varese 2

Santos 18

Fuller 40

Cosenza 2

Lanzaro 27

Bilic 35

This was a good chance to kick on after beating Sampdoria, to claim what should have been a simple three points. But we let a lead slip - a rarity in itself. Dos Santos had another impressive match, and opened the scoring in similar fashion to Wednesday night. But Cosenza caught us in a submissive attitude - Maurizio Lanzaro headed in the equaliser from a corner, and then Mate Bilic broke clear to put us behind. Thankfully we were level at half time, with another Ricardo Fuller header. No matter what we did, the next breakthrough never arrived. Moroni shaved the bar, and Calaio was again a poor showing. Batigol came on late, but did nothing. But it's not a defeat.

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko (Molinaro 83), Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Santi, Santos, Moroni, Fuller, Calaio (Batistuta 83)

And so we continue to be overloaded with strikers. Another arrives today, the highly rated Michael Chopra from Newcastle. icon_smile.gif Again, he has the talent, and ability, but the question is can he produce?

Spezia are another side struggling at the wrong end of the table. Chopra starts in the centre of the front three, and Sidwell makes a timely return.

Varese 2

Santos 2

Fuller 12

Spezia 2

Pastrello 25

Torino 34

Now I'm disappointed. Two games in a row we've let a lead slip, and especially a two goal lead today. icon_mad.gif We were again straight out of the blocks, and Santos scored for the third game running, with a run to meet Moroni's cross. Ricardo Fuller scored the second 10 minutes later, leaping like a salmon to head in Chopra's cross. Stefano Pastrello then got a little lucky, as he slipped when crossing and the ball soared past Girardi. Vittorio Torino then headed in the equaliser for Spezia. And so the pressure started, but Enrico Milan in the visiting goal was unbeatable - he turned Fuller down four times, Chopra and Santos twice each, and a Moroni blockbuster that was incredibly tipped over. A 10 out of 10 rating was justifiable. We showed again we can attack, but maybe the defence and focus needs a little work. And still only the one win at home icon_mad.gif

Team: Girardi, Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Sidwell, Santi, Santos, Moroni, Fuller, Chopra

If we can't win at Pescara something's up. They have a team of well known names - Antonioli, Quagliarella, Amoruso, Pinardi - but are severely struggling. I go unchanged in a game we have to win.

Pescara 1

Perna 80

Varese 1

Fuller 16

Why the hell can't we kill teams off? icon_mad.gif . We absolutely wreaked havoc on Pescara, but only Ricardo Fuller could find the net. The Jamaican found the net for the third match in a row and 4th in eight, with a simple tap in. But our sheer dominance came to nothing. Chopra is worrying people - he is such a livewire, and hit the bar with a rocket shot on the stroke of half time. Moroni forced a decent save from Antonioli. Pescara sensed a point was in the offing, and stole it through Armando Perna's first goal for Pescara. We're on the slide to a season low 13th. We have to win games against the sides below us coming up - starting by scoring more than two a game.

Team: Girardi, Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Sidwell, Santi, Santos, Moroni, Fuller, Chopra

• Administrators

Ascoli are yet another side in trouble that we simply must beat. Once again, there's no need for a change to the lineup.

Varese 3

Sbrizzo 22

Santos 27, 51

Ascoli 2

Chirico 36

Bressan 60

This, our second home win of the season, was a real nailbiter. Our first half dominance eventually paid off. We didn't find an opening until the 22nd minute, and from the most unlikely of sources. Moroni's corner was headed in by Alessandro Sbrizzo - the 31 year old's first Varese goal. Five minutes later Viera Dos Santos doubled the lead, with a brilliant dribble from the halfway line and then unleashing an unstoppable effort. But if that was unstoppable, Davide Chirico's effort that pulled one back was downright dangerous - if Girardi had been in the way he'd have been killed. icon_redface.gif But as I said last match, we need at least three to win, and Santos scored another goal. This time he picked up Fuller's header and drilled in his 5th in 7 starts. Then Mauro Bressan nudged Ascoli closer still, and the end to end melee that ensued nervously saw us come out with three points that we just deserved.

And now onto Avellino, who piled on the misery at the Franco Ossola earlier in the season. Zicu replaced the injured Moroni, and Calaio plays as Fuller is on international duty. Not as easy as it looks.

Avellino 3

Caracciolo 28, 90

Pecorari 43

Varese 3

Chopra 31

Santos 50

Calaio 78

Oh the anger I feel icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif . We had it in the bag, but damn Caracciolo is the scourge of us. He opened the scoring with a sweeping drive to put the green side ahead. But Michael Chopra, who I have been urging to score - did so with a beautiful volley. We let slip again though, with a Marco Pecorari effort that deflected past Girardi. But we showed character to come back again, as Santos was able to steal a march on his opponent and score yet again - on the day I agree to make his loan move permanent as from June. icon_smile.gif And then our pressure paid off, as Calaio scored for the first time since August to surely seal three vital points. But no - Caracciolo thundered in a header to steal an undeserved point so late on. Varese will be the death of me icon_frown.gif

Team: Girardi, Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Sidwell, Santi, Santos, Zicu, Calaio, Chopra

Ancona are a much better side than their 16th place shows. Martinetti and Bjelanovic are a dangerous pairing, but we have Moroni and Fuller back. Tobros is suspended though, and Gorini plays through injury.

Varese 1

Santos 48

Ancona 1

Tarantino 56

OK, it's now seven unbeaten, but with five of those teams in real trouble we really should have been looking to push up the league. Now we've got a tricky run in and will be looking over our shoulders. Santos is the glimmer of hope we have - he has 7 in 7 now, and is the potent threat. A dull first half did nothing to entertain anyone, but Santos finished a decent move to open the scoring. If we could have held on I would have been delighted, but unfortunately Tarantino headed in an eventual equaliser. Still, we're 15 points off promotion, so a decent run would see us move up significantly. Yet we're the same distance off relegation, so the points need to continue rolling in.

Team: Girardi, Gresko, Gorini©, Molinaro, Sbrizzo, Sidwell, Santi, Santos, Moroni, Fuller, Chopra

• Administrators

We look to stay unbeaten today with the trip to the Friuli and Udinese. They're 7th, we're 12th, and it makes for an interesting game. Tobros replaces Molinaro.

Udinese 2

Warley 43

Semioli 65

Varese 2

Santos 60

Moroni 77

This was a wonderful exhibition of football from both sides. Attacking football was on the menu for the whole game, and a 2-2 draw was the right result. The first half was full of long range efforts and goalmouth scrambles, and ended with Brazilian Warley dispatching from 12 yards to put Cosmi's side ahead. The second half continued in the attacking vein, and Santos scored his eighth in as many games with a lovely swerving run and finish. But Udinese once again took the lead by way of Francesco Semioli's header following Piva's return header from a deep Marek Jankulovski cross. But once again we showed we can fight with the best, and Moroni scored his third free kick of the season - a real stunner into the corner which left De Sanctis helpless. Eight unbeaten, but we're falling away from the top ten points-wise.

Spal are on the brink of the relegation zone, so they should be a team we look to pick up points from. Sidwell is out for a month so in comes Molinaro.

Varese 0

Spal 2

Pirri 6

Luizinho 31 pen

Another home defeat, and a double for Spal over us. I'm disappointed again, as it's another home defeat - 13 points out of 45 at the Franco Ossola is shocking. icon_frown.gif Alessio Pirri drilled in the first, and won the penalty for Luizinho to put away. We had twelve attempts on goal, six frm Chopra. The little man on loan from Newcastle hit the post twice, and Santos also hit the bar, on a day nothing went for us. Hugo Pinheiro was great in the Spal goal, but our 8 match run of unbeaten games is smashed apart, and now the remaining eight games are very tough. Hopefully, I can set a realistic target of 13 points from those 24 - although more would be great.

Team: Girardi, Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Molinaro, Santi, Santos, Moroni, Fuller, Chopra

Raffaele Moroni came to me this morning to ask to leave in order to further his own career. I declined the request on the basis we need our best player until the end of the season at least. If we haven't impressed him enough come June then I might reconsider.

Como visit, as the side directly below ourselves. No changes needed, and I'd be delighted if we can repeat the 4-1 of last season.

Varese 2

Moroni 19

Santos 34

Como 2

Giribet 70

Negro 82

Bonazzoli missed pen 13

Disappointment is the word I'd use for this. We really shouldn't have drawn - after going two goals ahead we should have strived to score again, but stupidly sat back and gave up yet another home lead. Fair play to Moroni, who carries on professionally after the midweek 'altercation' . The San Marinese scored his 12th of the season, a header from Santos' delivery. Then, after a relative barren spell for Santos (one game) he found the scoresheet once more with a header from Moroni's deflected shot. This all came after a wonderful penalty stop from Girardi, keeping Bonazzoli's strike out. But two goals for Como - each their first goals for the club - stole a point. Mikel Giribet and Paolo Negro each headed home to compound my misery, and prove our defence inadequate for Serie B.

Team: Girardi, Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Molinaro, Santi, Santos, Moroni, Fuller, Chopra

I have made two defensive acquisitions for next season, and hopefully more will be on the way, along with a mini clearout in the summer.

• Administrators

Only a three day break before tonight's trip to Genoa. They're good - very good - but we have an amazing record in the Luigi Ferraris Stadium - having never lost there. Sbrizzo is suspended, so Simac replaces, and Chopra is dropped as the front three are too similar, so Batistuta makes a return.

Genoa 0

Varese 2

Gorini 40

Fuller 55

Batistuta injured 6

And we maintained the unbeaten record in the Luigi Ferraris. icon_smile.gif One of the few bright points in the season happened today, as we claimed an important three points to reach 40. Batistuta went off very early with a twisted knee, but Chopra wasn't the replacement. That honour went to Calaio, who gave us a great physical presence. Cristian Brocchi had a goal ruled out for offside, and Tomasson and Perotta both came very close. But we went ahead slightly before half time with an outswinging corner met by a thumping header from captain Edoardo Gorini, who was a colossus for ourselves today. Ten minutes into the second half we doubled the advantage crucially, as Genoa left Ricardo Fuller absolutely free, and the Jamaican wasn't going to turn down the chance of scoring his 5th of the season. Girardi had a wonderful game, as did the whole back three, and Calaio. A real team performance, and it showed in the eventual win.

Team: Girardi, Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Simac, Molinaro, Santi, Santos, Moroni, Fuller, Batistuta (Calaio 6)

We arrive in Modena in torrential rain, which did put a doubt on whether the match would take place. But referee Giancarlo Rubino has passed the pitch and conditions playable, and if we beat Modena we go above them. Calaio and Sbrizzo come back in for Batistuta and Simac respectively.

Modena 3

Kamara 2

Rostirolla 41 pen, 59

Camussi missed pen 22

Varese 3

Fuller 17

Moroni 48

Santos 90

Molinaro sent off 22

The match didn't teach me anything I didn't already know, but it was brilliant entertainment. Diomansy Kamara got the ball rolling on two minutes with a gliding header over Girardi. That, and the condtions, made me fear for us, but Ricardo Fuller started to play more assertively and was rewarded with the equaliser on 17. The Jamaican drove at the Modena defence and put the ball past Leandro Boninsegna. Then it became a little farcical. Referee Rubino gave a penalty to Modena for a foul by Molinaro. He mistimed it yes, but the conditions made it look far worse, and so the red card which followed was a little harsh. Calaio was the only suitable player to be replaced, coming off for Tcherevchenko. But Girardi pulled off a 2nd successive penalty stop to keep things in equilibrium. However, another penalty was given 20 minutes later for a Girardi foul on Kamara. Rostirolla took the kick this time, and beat Girardi. But for the second time we came back to equalise; Raffaele Moroni sent in his 13th of the season. icon_smile.gif Modena again went ahead, with a stunning strike from Matteo Rostirolla - fully 30 yards into the top corner. It looked for a time as if Modena would win, but for a change on we scored in injury time to steal something. Modena refused to close Santos down, and the Brazilian drilled high to make it 3-3 and cap a great game.

Team: Girardi, Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Molinaro, Santi, Santos, Moroni, Fuller, Calaio (Tcherevchenko 22)

Palermo are the latest team to visit the Franco Ossola. We've had one defeat in twelve, and Palermo are heading the wrong way in the table. But I'm under no false impressions - it'll be hard.

Varese 1

Calaio 90

Moroni injured 18

Palermo 2

Zauli 19

Lai 28

For the second game in a row I'm not at all happy with some of the officiating icon_mad.gif . Seven minutes in Ricardo Fuller was flagged offside, and so his goal was chalked off. It was debatable. Raffaele Moroni then went and tore his groin muscle, and is out for three months. Why didn't I accept the transfer request - if anyone wants him they'll have to wait a while. Whilst Chopra came on Lamberto Zauli drilled in the opener for the Sicilians. Valentino Lai then doubled the lead with a header. It was all set up for yet another home defeat, and it happened, although the referee had an important part to play. He disallowed another, adjudging Calaio offside when he clearly wasn't icon_mad.gif . Calaio scored a consolation at the end, but we drop to 13th. I really want to finish 12th or over so as to make an improvement on last season. It's looking altogether unlikely.

Team: Girardi, Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Tcherevchenko, Santi, Santos, Moroni (Chopra 18), Fuller, Calaio

Next: Running through to the end of the 2006-7 season

• Administrators

getting this out of the way quicker than ever icon_biggrin.gif

---------------

Cagliari are top and have already achieved promotion. It really could be a walkover today. Martins replaces Moroni.

Cagliari 1

Diliso 68 pen

Varese 0

Only a penalty seperated us from the league leaders, and a debatable penalty at that. It was a really poor match - a foregone conclusion - and Nicola Diliso's penalty three quarters of the way though the game confirmed the result everyone saw coming. I'm at my lowest morale since arriving here almost six years ago - things are really getting me down. We're still not safe from relegation, and we can't defend. The summer (should I choose to stay) will definitely see a clearout, and a lot of work on defending. But we still have to avoid relegation yet.

Team: Girardi, Gresko, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Tcherevchenko, Santi, Santos, Martins, Fuller, Calaio

Two wins at home out of 17 is totally unacceptable this season. Our away form has meant we're still in a midtable position. Empoli are the second last side to visit the Franco Ossola this campaign, and all I want is to reward the fans for their continued passion with a win to send them off, and to make sure of our Serie B status. Formation change means Sidwell returns, Zicu starts on the left, and Chopra gets a very late call to partner Calaio up front. Tobros and Sbrizzo are suspended. However, Empoli are fourth and looking for promotion.

Varese 5

Chopra 3, 10, 78, 90

Santos 23

Empoli 2

Tavano 34

Rocchi 58

Wow! icon_biggrin.gif . Where in the bluest of blue hells did this come from? We've wrecked Empoli's promotion hopes, as this sends them down to seventh and out of the promotion zone. Early goals are always the key to our game, and Michael Chopra it was who sent a scorching effort past Tardioli. Within 10 minutes of kickoff Chopra had already scored more than in his previous ten games for us. His second today was typically him - a swerve and scintillating shot. And then, much to my surprise and Mauro Nardini's chagrin, Santos scored his eleventh of the season to put us three ahead. icon_redface.gif But then reality clicked into place. Empoli recognised our defensive frailties, and pounced. Francesco Tavano, who scored in the reverse fixture, found a loose ball irresistible and cannoned past Girardi. A 3-1 lead then made us sit back a little - something we shouldn't be doing. Tomasso Rocchi pulled another back before the hour, giving Empoli a real chance of coming back. I knew this would happen, and was just waiting for the third. My assistant manager, Gabi Batistuta, urged us to get forward more, and to my delight we did and restored some advantage. Santos crossed, and Chopra's volley to complete a hattrick was quality all over. The loanee from Newcastle scored another in injury time to score four and take the match ball along with the man of the match award, just ahead of Tcherevchenko. By far and away our best home result of the season, and it rivals the win in Perugia for best win.

Team: Girardi, Gresko, Gorini©, Simac, Tcherevchenko, Sidwell, Santi, Santos, Zicu, Chopra, Calaio

Bari are by far the best team in the League. A trip to the San Nicola is never easy, and I'm fully expecting a defeat. But then I did against Empoli too. The temptation to stay unchanged is tempered by Sbrizzo, who can return to replace Simac.

Bari 3

Mokas 11

Menezes Guimares 28, 90

Lafortezza missed pen 59

Varese 1

Chopra 9

The scoreline is a bit unfair on us, as we played well enough to warrant perhaps a point. We even took the lead, much to my shock, as Tcherevchenko crossed for Chopra to sweep home. Who knows what would have happened had Mokas not gone down the other end and equalised with a textbook header? He did, and we were ahead for a mere 90 seconds. Carlos Menezes Guimares is his partner in crime, and put Bari ahead 15 or so minutes later with a routine tap in. Chopra hit the post, but once we were behind we never looked like coming back. Shy of the hour mark Bari were given a penalty, but Antonio Lafortezza had the attempt saved by Girardi. icon_smile.gif Girardi's saved four and conceded six of ten penalties given against us this season, whilst none have gone for us icon_rolleyes.gif . Very late on Menezes Guimares scored again to make the scoreline an inaccurate portrayal of events.

Team: Girardi, Gresko, Gorini©, Simac, Tcherevchenko, Sidwell, Santi, Santos, Zicu, Chopra, Calaio

The defeat means we can only finish a highest of 13th, so we have made no improvement on last season. icon_frown.gif

• Administrators

And so to the last game of an ultimately disappointing season, at home to Torino. I'd hope we can build on the Empoli game and make it 2 straight home wins. No changes.

Varese 1

Mantovani 5 og

Tcherevchenko injured 79

Torino 0

Quite amazingly this was our first clean sheet in seven, and only our 2nd in 31, icon_eek.gif . But we deserved it. Andrea Mantovani put past his own keeper early on after Santos caused havoc from a corner. Torino exerted unimaginable pressure, with Uruguayan Fabian O'Neill pulling the strings. But try as they might nothing was going to take this win away from us. Girardi was excellent, and Sbrizzo continued a fine renaissance after missing out until the new year. I'm pleased with the win, but mainly the clean sheet. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Gresko, Gorini©, Simac, Tcherevchenko (Tobros 79), Sidwell, Santi, Santos, Zicu, Chopra, Calaio

and so the final Serie B placings...

Italian Serie B - Sunday 13th May 2007

2006/7 Table

1st P Cagliari 38 11 7 1 28 9 11 6 2 24 12 79

2nd P Bari 38 11 6 2 41 26 12 3 4 31 19 78

3rd Perugia 38 11 5 3 39 18 9 6 4 33 24 71

4th Venezia 38 11 4 4 39 15 10 3 6 24 22 70

5th Empoli 38 12 5 2 37 20 9 1 9 28 27 69

6th Sampdoria 38 12 4 3 36 13 4 12 3 27 25 64

7th Udinese 38 11 5 3 25 15 7 5 7 22 21 64

8th Palermo 38 11 3 5 33 17 7 3 9 28 27 60

9th Genoa 38 10 6 3 27 15 7 3 9 26 33 60

10th Torino 38 8 9 2 27 15 8 2 9 27 27 59

11th Avellino 38 9 4 6 37 33 5 6 8 30 37 52

12th Modena 38 7 4 8 26 28 7 4 8 29 34 50

13th Como 38 9 6 4 37 22 3 6 10 19 31 48

14th VARESE 38 4 8 7 26 28 7 6 6 34 28 47

15th Spal 38 7 3 9 21 30 6 4 9 23 35 46

16th Ascoli 38 6 2 11 24 32 5 1 13 20 42 36

17th R Ancona 38 6 3 10 15 19 2 8 9 16 29 35

18th R Pescara 38 5 3 11 31 41 1 6 12 12 31 27

19th R Spezia 38 3 1 15 17 43 3 2 14 20 39 21

20th R Cosenza 38 2 2 15 20 48 1 3 15 14 43 14

</pre>

14th place is disappointing, but more on that in my season review.

• Administrators

Taking a look around Europe again....

.....and here in Italy Lo Scudetto went to Inter, who in the process complete a hat-trick of title victories. Cuper's men had the title won before the last day, as a draw with Lazio was enough to see off the team from the other side of Rome - Roma. Parma and Bologna are in the Champions League spots, then a gap widens to 5th where Lazio head a list of three formerly great sides - followed in the table by Juventus and Milan. Fiorentina, Chievo, Vicenza and Reggina all found Serie A a little too tough, and are duly replaced by Serie B promoteers Cagliari, Bari, Perugia, and Venezia.

The title in England continues to be passed between Man Utd and Liverpool like a hot potato. For the sixth straight season the Premiership crown has moved from Old Trafford to Anfield and back, this time ending up at Liverpool. But only just this time. Liverpool's superior goal difference of +51 compared to Man Utd's +47 was the deciding factor in the race. Ipswich and Millwall upset the pundits and qualify for the Champions League qualifying phases. Blackburn, Southampton and Wolves are all relegated, Southampton only just, as Bojan Djordjic's 88th minute strike for Millwall sent the South Coast side down. Promoted sides come from Coventry, Bradford, and Crystal Palace.

Spain had no surprises as a rampant Barcelona made it five straight; equalling the achievements of bitter rivals Real Madrid in the 1960's and late 1980's. Madrid are only good enough for a UEFA Cup spot, as Betis and the two Galician sides Deportivo and Celta Vigo look forward to campaigns in Europe's greatest club competition. Sporting de Gijon, Valladolid, and Santander are the sides going down, and on the way in the opposite direction return Mallorca, Cordoba, and Osasuna.

Lorient return to th summit in France after four years away, taking the French title in comfortable fashion, leaving Nantes languishing in second. Bordeaux take the remaining ECL spot, and the teams who just couldn't do enough were Martigues, Nice, and Sochaux. Attempting to make a better showing next year will be Metz, Caen, and Amiens.

Latly to Germany where Hertha broke the Westfalen domination with their 4th Bundesliga success. Englishman Alan Smith lead the charge with 23 goals, giving them a 2 point advantage from 1860 Munchen. FC Bayern, Leverkusen, Hamburg and Dortmund make up the chasing pack, in that order. Stuttgart, Unterhaching, and Darmstadt will be replaced by Saarbrucken, Babelsburg, and Mannheim.

My own season review;

I suppose I should be happy with another season of consolidation in Serie B. Realistically we aren't ready for the next step quite yet, and showed enough quality this season to prove we can mix it here. But I can't help but feel we didn't play to our best. I felt a top eight place was a realistic expectation for the campaign, and until November that looked a possibility. Then came Avellino and Milan, and it was downhill from there. Our home form failed to help us like previous years, and if that had been better we would be looking at a Serie A place now, as we were good away from home.

Sergio Girardi was ever present in goal, and had another mixed season. Defiantly brilliant but infuriatingly inconsistent - and it's this that has made me look for a second quality keeper. As for the back three or four, depending on formation, some were nothing special - Molinaro, Gresko, Tobros - but then some played pretty well in the face of adversity. Igor Tcherevchenko was consistently good, Gorini lead like a warrior, and Alessandro Sbrizzo had a brilliant second half of the season.

As for the midfield, I feel my carelessness has been detrimental for the club. I've always considered it strong, but when the first choice four of Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, and Benachour went missing, we had very little to fall back on. The signing of Carlos Alberto Viera Dos Santos on loan was inspired, as he scored over ten goals in little more than 15 games. Having him permanently may be a good move. The backups of Zicu, Fuoco, and the like weren't special, but enough.

We have a vast array of strikers, none of which really showed enough. Gabi Batistuta's 10 goals in as many games was the sign of a team in form, but as soon as we went cold so did he, and his age is now showing. Calaio impressed in fits and starts, but only three goals is really poor from someone expected to hit 15 at minimum. What makes it look worse was Michael Chopra's four against Empoli - more in 90 mins than a whole season. The diminutive loanee from Newcastle did OK when the formation suited him, but like the other loan star Riccy Fuller, didn't shoot us to the higher echelons. Martins, Vieri, Dobek, Frankowski, and Conti also all had chances, but 5 goals between them tells all.

So what now? A clearout will happen, so we can get some needed funds, and to focus on a squad of 30 or so to get us to where we want to be. The defence and midfield need sorting, and a striker who can actually hit 15-20 goals is a must. How much of this planning will become reality is another question altogether.

Once again it's the time where Awards are given out icon_smile.gif

FIFA World Player of the Year - Vincenzo Montella (Roma)

World Footballer of the Year - Vincenzo Montella (Roma)

Serie B Manager of the Year - Andrea Agostinelli (Venezia)

Serie A Player of the Year - Walter Samuel (Roma)

Serie A Young Player of the Year - Angelo Schembri (Salernitana)

Serie A Defender of the Year - Walter Samuel (Roma)

Serie A Top Goalscorer - Andriy Shevchenko (Milan, 19 goals)

Serie A Italian Player of the Year - Filippo Inzaghi (Milan)

Serie A Foreign Player of the Year - Andriy Shevchenko (Milan)

Serie B Player of the Year - Mokas (Bari)

Serie B Top Goalscorer - Mokas (Bari), 29 goals)

And rather surprisingly, Sergio Girardi was considered the best keeper in the Division this season icon_redface.gificon_cool.gif

• Administrators

last update for about week...

More Awards;

European Footballer of the Year - Vincenzo Montella (Roma)

European Goalkeeper of the Year - Gianluigi Buffon (Barcelona)

European Defender of the Year - Fabio Cannavaro (Inter)

European Midfielder of the Year - Oliver Neuville (Inter)

European Striker of the Year - Vincenzo Montella (Roma)

Raffaele Moroni is presented with the Supporters Player of the Year Award today, at our end of season club gathering. He's just about the only person to deserve it in truth. icon_smile.gif

I've been busy over the last few weeks wheeling and dealing in the quagmire of the free transfer market. Below I explain a few of my acquisitions....

Maarten Stekelenburg - ex-Ajax goalkeeper, and challenger to Girardi's throne as number one. He looks the part - imposing, loud, but overall a technically sound stopper.

Gonzalo Martinez - Colombian defender recommended by Roberto Trevisan - my chief scout. He's comfortable in a 3 or 4, and has a decent shot, so attackingly he's of use.

Nicola Legrottaglie - former Chievo defender, joins having already had two loans in our C1/A campaigns. He's another strong defender, and boosts our shape at the back.

Carlos Albero Viera Dos Santos - I know a lot already, with the Brazilian kid on loan last season. He loves to jink and run, and has a mean shot. Also has a good games-to-goals ratio.

Juho Makela - Finnish striker who failed to achieve at Anderlecht. Undoubted talent - he's lightning fast, and can finish with the best. My main hope.

Rory Allen - three great scoring seasons in England's Second Division has lead to me taking a gamble on bringing Allen in. He accepted a shorter and cheaper contract than he desired, but could be one of those inspired deals.

Out

Piotr Frankowski - very talented, but we haven't a use for him, and £300,000 frok Crotone is good business for us, as we're severely in red.

I would also have rid Vratislav Gresko to Aalen, but the prjected £700k fee is too much for the club to produce. Still, I harbour hopes of selling him and four or five others in an effort to raise funds and cut the wage bill.

I am the receiver of a well needed £1.2m today, as R Antwerp pick up Selim Benachour off me for that fee - great business considering I paid nothing for him. It alleviates our financial worries, and justifies my 6 signings. icon_smile.gif

More players leave. Simone Loria has left on a Bosman free, and I also expect Marijan Buljat to in the next few days. Stefano Presotto has joined Latina for £275k, and Martins has joined Bristol Rovers for £575k - meaning I've made £2.3m profit from sales recently icon_smile.gif

Former Sampdoria midfielder Roberto Franzese joins our group today, after I was able to negotiate a deal lower than his estimations icon_smile.gif - he's very good at sitting in his role and pulling the strings.

Today, over 6 years since joining, I finally spend my first transfer fee on a player icon_redface.gif . Our financial position is secure for the time being, and £45,000 went towards the signing of young Argentinian midfielder Pablo Acensio. The ex-Platense man seems to be in the mould of Redondo, and his arrival signals an ever-strengthening midfield. I feel that is the last signing this summer - 8 have arrived, 11 left - and we're in the black financially. icon_smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

cheers Jonny - best of luck with Fidelis Andria icon_biggrin.gif

this one needs a kick...

A new era dawns at Varese, with the Coppa Italia kicks off our season, and a new look 3-3-1-3 shape takes place in our side. No less than six players make their debuts, including all the midfielders, so it may take a while to gel, but a trip to Catania may not be too tricky.

Catania 0

Varese 1

Makela 18

Not the worst showing at all. Stekelenburg will have more confidence after a clean sheet debut, as will the back three. The midfield linked well, and kept us in shape. We only scored the one, but it was all that was required. Finnish international Juho Makela scored on his debut, as he turned his marker and slammed past the otherwise faultless Marchetti. Rory Allen had a good game too - able to hold up the ball, but also dribble to some effect. It's a positive sign at least, that a new look side are able to play so well already. If we can improve as we gel, it should make for a good season.

Team: Stekelenburg, Sbrizzo, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Moroni, Makela, Allen

Roberto Franzese is injured for the visit of Vicenza, who are going to be there or thereabouts come May. Ianis Zicu plays in his place.

Varese 1

Allen 3

Legrottaglie injured 26

Sbrizzo sent off 76

Vicenza 1

Leon 76 pen

A draw against Vicenza shows improvement, as ordinarily they would have beaten us. The fact their only goal came from Julio Cesar Leon's penalty shows how strong our defence was, and it was without Legrottaglie, who went off injured with strained knee ligaments. We drew first blood, as a great cross from Moroni was headed past Da Re by Allen. icon_smile.gif Vicenza were actually dominated by ourselves, and we couldn't get a second, but it wasn't proving a problem. That is, until Sbrizzo was sent off for a wild tackle on Leon, who scored the resulting penalty. We're still improving with time.

Team: Stekelenburg, Sbrizzo, Gorini©, Legrottaglie (Tcherevchenko 26), Asencio, Zicu, Martinez, Santos (Molinaro 76), Moroni, Makela, Allen

The League season for us gets underway early as we are live on television against Monza. I don't have my whole first choice defence available - Gorini, Sbrizzo and Legrottaglie are all out, so Molinaro, Tobros, and Tcherevchenko line up. Franzese returns, and Moroni captains the side.

Varese 3

Santos 6, 18

Allen 22

Monza 0

For the first time in Serie B, we win our first game of the season. It was all over pretty early, with three goals in the first 22 minutes. Carlos Alberto Viera Dos Santos didn't take too long to find his shooting boots again, with the first on six minutes finishing a great team move. The second was a fierce first time shot from a tackle on Allen. And the third was Allen himself, again heading home a delicious Moroni cross. That was pretty much it, although we could have had a couple more. Allen headed over in the second half when the goal was gaping, and Makela forced a decent save. Our defence held up well, Stekelenburg making a couple of nice saves. Another nice thing was that Asencio forced himself upon the game, and dictated play in that sort of role where you sit and pull the strings. I get the sense he's good at that, and the 3-0 win shows we're getting better all the time. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Molinaro, Tobros, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Moroni©, Makela, Allen

• Administrators

Back we go to the Coppa Italia, and a visit to Cosenza. We're certainly looking to make the next phase again. Gorini is set to return ahead of Molinaro.

Cosenza 1

Oshadogan 17

Varese 1

Santos 20

The point puts us top of the table on 5 points, level with Vicenza and Cosenza. But our superior goal difference and head to head record sees us finish in the qualifying position (it's all really complicated). For the first time this season we fell a goal down, as Joseph Dayo Oshadogan headed past Stekelenburg. Fortunately we were able to counter-strike immediately, as Santos climbed well to head the equaliser. Not much more than that happened. Allen ran and drove straight at Giancotti, and both sides had fairly decent penalty calls turned down. Santos had a great match, running the show, ans could have had a hat-trick but for some good keeping. And we've qualified. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Tobros, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Moroni, Makela, Allen

The draw for the first round proper has paired us with Southern powerhouses Napoli. The Neapolitans are one of Serie A's strongest, and will be a tough proposition.

A very tough league match at home to Reggina. They don't have Leon or Di Michele, who shot them to promotion two years ago, but they do have Cozza and Kosowski, who will be a threat.

Varese 2

Santos 30

Makela 66

Reggina 2

Zanini 34

Di Giovanni 78

Not the worst result, but I'd have hoped going ahead twice would've meant a win. The first half was ours - everything clicked, except putting the ball in the back of the net. The team was purring, and Reggina couldn't cope. Santos headed in Moroni's crossed free kick to put us ahead, but although we dominated, Nicola Zanini managed to head in a sneaky equaliser. Reggina were more adventurous in the second half, but it cost them a goal, as we broke dangerously, and as Allen's shot was saved, Makela was there to sweep into an unguarded goal from 2 yards. But again it was too much to hold out, because impressive sub Massimiliano Di Giovanni volleyed in a second equaliser. But you see, in previous years we have lost to Reggina, so it's still an improvement. Another point of note is that I had a striker here as the Varese match guest. He agreed to a deal yesterday, and we'll unveil him in the next couple of days. He's definitely a talented young goalscorer.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Moroni, Makela, Allen

Christos Alexiou is presented to the media as our latest signing. He's impressed in the Greek Leagues, and has arrived on reccomendation of my scouts, my video watching, and personally from Greek Under-21 teammate Niko Tobros. The fee is £14k up front to Serres, and a further £22k after 50 games for Varese. It seems I have a bargain. It's now up to Christos to prove himself at a much tougher level. I have confidence that he'll do it.

• Administrators

Rory Allen doesn't really deserve demotion, but someone has to make way for Alexiou's debut, and Allen is the most similar in style to Alexiou. Spal reserves beat my reserves 5-4 on Friday - the neutral will want similar entertainment, but I want a win and a clean sheet.

Spal 3

Vasari 31

Izzillo 73, 90

Varese 4

Alexiou 2, 5

Asencio 62, 69

We won, no clean sheet icon_frown.gif , but major entertainment. And what a start by Christos Alexiou. I've been after him for about 8 months, and within the first five minutes of competitive Varese football, he showed why I considered him hot property. The first goal came from Asencio's beautiful chipped pass, and the young Greek drilled past Pinheiro. On five minutes Santos' cross was headed in by Alexiou for 2-0. He had two more chances before Vasari drilled one back, but both headers were well saved. The fact Spal had come back had me a bit more worried, but the worries were tempered when Pablo Asencio scored his first Varese goals. The Argentinian managed to somehow outjump Pinheiro to meet Moroni's corner. And one wasn't enough - he wanted more. Seven minutes later Pinheiro spilled Santos' effort, and Asencio was there to wrap up the points, as the Portugues 'keeper realised the full extent of his errors. Giovanni Izzillo headed two consolations to make things look tighter than they were, but I'm happy with the performance, and especially Alexiou and Asencio's games. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Moroni, Makela, Alexiou

From one extreme to another. Struggling Spal were one thing, but the match today is altogether another proposition. Napoli, in the San Paolo, are a very dangerous side. They're a consistent Serie A side, and in Antonio Cassano, Femi Opabunmi, and Julio Cruz, they have world class attacking individuals. With over 35000 in attendance, it's one of the biggest games I've been involved in. Legrottaglie replaces the suspended Sbrizzo.

Napoli 1

Francheschini 58

Varese 3

Asencio 7

Santos 47

Moroni 72

icon_eek.gif <---- This sums it up. This is, without a doubt, the best 90 minutes football we've played in over six years. We were absolutely magnificent in every position, and it showed. Moroni set up the first goal, a bobbling cross drilled past Bartoli by Asencio, who's found an eye for goal. Napoli, as expected, tried to dominate, and although they had most of the play, it didn't translate into the scoresheet. In fact, it was Makela who came closest with two decent headers. And then, lo and behold, after half time the lead was doubled icon_redface.gif . Alexiou held the ball up well, and came up with an imaginative flick to create space for Santos, who slammed in the second. Ivan Franceschini bundled home Napoli's first goal, and then Cassano wasted a golden chance for 2-2. And how he paid. Raffaele Moroni still harbours dreams of playing in Serie A, but it isn't affecting his Varese performance. His goal on 72 minutes was sublime. He took on and beat the whole Napoli defence, to score one of the greatest goals of all time. Brilliant icon_cool.gif (although we have to remember it's only the first leg).

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Moroni, Makela, Alexiou

Technically we can't lose to Catania. It's not possible, according to my scouting team. We have enough in the team to walk this. And I can't seriously change the side after Wednesday's win, can I? icon_biggrin.gif

Varese 3

Makela 18

Santos 36, 45

Catania 0

Ceccarelli and Co. were right - we won, but not with the ease I might have expected. We were all over them in the first half, and there was nowhere for the side with a 100% defeat record to go. Alexiou put one over the bar before Moroni fed Makela, and the Finn curled in his third of the season. Alexiou contined to be a threat, but it wasn't he who scored our second. That honour went to Santos, who dribbled bast Bruni and Pessia before finishing with some aplomb. And on the stroke of half time he added another, beating two more men to secure the win. But Catania, sensing they had nothing to lose and everything to gain, roared out at us in the second half, and Stekelenburg had to be at his best to preserve his clean sheet. Overall, another satisfying win. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Moroni, Makela, Alexiou

• Administrators

Palermo has always been a tricky negotiation for us, and even though the Sicilians are struggling, it's still early in the season. Unchanged again.

Palermo 2

Grieco 31, 48

Varese 0

And so goes our unbeaten run of eight games icon_frown.gif Not that we deserved to lose. Gaetano Grieco (who I tried to buy in the summer) scored twice from left wing crosses to clinch the points for the pink and black. We had four penalty appeals rejected, and at least two of them had an element of conviction to them. A few players weren't looking themselves, and weren't good enough. Hopefully it's only a very minor blip on the radar - and not the start of a bad run.

A second consecutive tough away game. Como are again, on ther day, a proposition to beat anyone. The wet weather in the region won't help either. I still haven't changed the side.

Como 1

Arena 45

Varese 0

One minor lapse and a whole lot of bad luck cost us today. Cristian Arena found space after losing Legrottaglie, and headed past Stekelenburg. And that was that. We had more penalty appeals rejected, and Nuzzo and Bertotto in the opposing defence were just too good today. Alexiou disappointed, as did the majority - we didn't hit peak form at the right times. Two defeats signal something may be wrong, so getting back to winning is imperative.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Moroni, Makela, Alexiou (Allen 72)

Moroni and Makela are away on international duty this weekend, so they miss out on the visit of lowly Crotone. Rory Allen leads the line, and Mateusz Dobek gets the other berth up front, in an attack with little time played with each other.

Varese 2

Franzese 26 pen

Dobek 43

Legrottaglie injured 45

Crotone 0

Turci sent off 26

It was nice to get back to winning ways, with a match we always looked like winning. The new front three were buzzing around with energy, and it was always only a matter of time until something happened. On 26 minutes it happened. Santos went on a typical run, and was taken out by goalkeeper Luigi Turci. Turci was then sent off, following FIFA rules, and Roberto Franzese converted the penalty to put us ahead. We needed the second, and it came crucially before half time. Asencio's corner was flicked by Allen and Dobek finished the move off. icon_smile.gif Crotone's replacement keeper Lorenzini was brilliant, to give him his dues. He kept out numerous attempts from Asencio, Dobek, and Alexiou. But Crotone never attacked, and we had a nice return to winning ways.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie (Sbrizzo 45), Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Dobek, Alexiou, Allen

• Administrators

We are, as I've previously mentioned, unbeaten in the Luigi Ferraris Stadium. Our record against Genoa in particular is good - two wins in two at their home. But they've been in brilliant form, and we've lost our last two away games. Makela, Moroni and Sbrizzo come in for Dobek, Allen, and Legrottaglie.

Genoa 1

Tomasson 7

Varese 3

Asencio 16

Moroni 81

Alexiou 87

The feeling you get when your side has played as good as they can is great. Genoa played well themselves, but we defended magnificently, and then had the cutting edge to boot. Admittedly, things looked bleak early doors, as Tomasson was left free to slap past Stekelenburg. Fortunately, we realised the longer we spent behind, the worse the situation would become. Moroni went dribbling, and his lofty cross was headed in on the run by Asencio. Genoa, being the home side, dominated, and hit the woodwork twice through Perotta and Tomasson. But when we were able to break, Makela was superb. He was able to hold the ball up and give us much needed recovery time, which in the end proved vital. On the break short of ten minutes from time, Moroni found a clear patch of grass. His rapier-like drive beat Ripa all ends up. And to make things look more emphatic, Alexiou found the net for the first time since the opening five minutes of his debut with a cracker. This was our best.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Moroni, Makela, Alexiou

Pablo Asencio is suspended for the game at home to Ascoli, so Steven Sidwell comes in for the first time this season. Ascoli have a decent attack, and could prove tough.

Varese 1

Franzese 69 pen

Ascoli 1

Rantier 18

Scarlato sent off 69

Despite their moderate league placing, Ascoli are a pretty decent side. They scored their goal - an 18th minute Julien Rantier header - and stuck to the part they do best - defending. Ex-Roma keeper Carlo Zotti kept us at bay with a mixture of luck and brilliance, as did his woodwork. Makela forced one world class save, and Santos worried the scorers with a shot that crashed against the bar. Eventually we found the net, as Franzese converted once again from the spot, after Scarlato was sent off for a brutal looking lunge. Alexiou had the one remaining chance, but wasted it. But nonetheless this wasn't the worst game we've played.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Tcherevchenko, Sidwell, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Moroni, Makela, Alexiou

The second leg against Napoli rolls around this evening. Despite them being a Serie A side, I'd hope we can take the 3-1 advantage through to help us progress. Tobros replaces the suspended Sbrizzo, and Asencio returns to the fold.

Varese 0

Napoli 0

As I expected, we were much on the back foot, and so to keep a clean sheet against such a quality attacking side is a real plus point. Maarten Stekelenburg excelled - Napoli had fifteen attempts on goal, and Stekelenburg was there, as solid as a rock, to keep us in the Cup, and the chance of progressing. Artem Kosovsky and Julio Cruz were the Biancocelesti's main protagonists, as each should have scored more than once. For ourselves, Moroni came close, but Tcherevchenko was the best of our outfield selection. Still, we're through, and have that much more of a chance of winning the Coppa Italia.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Tobros, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Moroni, Makela, Alexiou

• Administrators

The draw for the next round throws us up against Bologna - now a consistent Champions League outfit. They're much better than Napoli, and will be a very very very hard match.

Today pits us against Carrarese - one of those matches you know you really should be winning if you harbour promotion hopes, but there's always an element of doubt over the outcome. Mateusz Dobek has done enough to warrant a start ahead of Moroni.

Carrarese 2

M.Mari 20

Sanz 81

Varese 2

Asencio 29

Franzese 86 pen

Asencio sent off 54

I told you it wouldn't work out as expected. Carrarese put up one hell of a fight, but we managed to sneak something late in the game. Mirko Mari gave the home side the shock lead with a leaping header past Stekelenburg. However, we were not down for long. Dobek's effort was spilled by an otherwise faultless Alejandro Saccone, and Asencio was there to prod in his fifth of the season. But his day was about to get more interesting, but for the wrong reasons. He became embroiled in a personal battle with opposite number Omar Milanetto, and one particular tackle was too much for referee Fabrizio Brunialti, and the Argentinian was dismissed for the sixth time in his 113 game career. And as it looked like there would be no further additions to the score, Spanish schoolboy Jose Miguel Sanz, just 16, drilled home his first career goal. But our spirit lead us to a needed point. Dobek's hard work earned him a penalty after a slight trip from Marino, and Franzese was there to make it three successful spot kicks this season. Another point snatched from out of nothing, and we're doing well.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos (Moroni 54), Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

Asencio starts a three match ban with the home game against Torino, and so Christian Santi makes his first appearance since May. Otherwise, Dobek is again preferred to Moroni.

Varese 2

Dobek 41

Santos 79

Torino 2

Varalli 51

Lucarelli 59

Yet another draw, but at least we're recovering points as opposed to losing them. The football on exhibition was really good - some of the moves drawn out were executed perfectly. Makela and Dobek worried Torino's captain-keeper Sorrentino before the Pole opened the scoring with a towering leap to finish Santos' cross. Torino though came out freshened and lively, and it showed when a neat and slick move was completed when Matteo Varalli beat Stekelenburg. And within little time at all, Cristiano Lucarelli - one of the most reknowned Italian scorers - had headed in his eleventh of a good season. Makela hit the post before we again scored an equaliser to make it 2-2. In recent weeks I've noticed a name disappear from the scoresheet. That of Carlos Alberto Viera Dos Santos. The Brazilian rediscovered his scoring touch just in time to cap a wonderful personal display, and a decent team performance.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Santi, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

• Administrators

Bologna visit in the Cup. I'm fully expecting to be comprehensively beaten by a side containing Pizarro, Ronaldinho, Cipriani, Colucci, and can leave out the likes of Recoba. They beat Fenerbahce 4-0 in midweek. Asencio returns in place of Santi.

Varese 0

Bologna 4

Colucci 10

Pizarro 17, 86

Cipriani 66

Hopefully the result won't have the same effect Milan's 4-0 win did last season. After that game we couldn't win a game for ages, and our good form this season wouldn't deserve that. Bologna are a different gravy - they can finish and defend to a level we aren't at yet. But it's only to be expected. Colucci drilled the first past Stekelenburg., and then Makela had an effort chalked off for shirt pulling. Pizarro curled in a 25 yard free kick, and once they had a two goal lead it was secure. Santos was lively and continuously worried Abbondanzieri, but when we looked at our best Bologna broke and Cipriani clipped in number three. Pizarro headed the fourth and his second late on to make sure we knew who the Serie A side were. I'm not really disappointed because I'm a realist, but we can't let this effect our league form in the slightest.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

The visit of Empoli is an absolute must win match. They've pushed us out of the promotion zone, but we have games in hand. If we win today we jump them and continue on our quest for success. Santi covers for the suspended Asencio.

Varese 5

Alexiou 27

Franzese 30

Makela 65, 73

Dobek 83

Empoli 4

Cipriani 5

Di Natale 38, 66, 68

Nine goals in an afternoon icon_redface.gif - but the only thing that truly matters is the three points which stay at the Franco Ossola. After three straight defeats to Empoli we've stuck ten past them in two games. But it was Empoli who struck first today, with a towering header from Giancarlo Cipriani, the sixteen year old's first career goal. It wasn't looking particularly good, but we did get the leveller. Mateusz Dobek swung the cross deep and Alexiou rose to nod in. Then, almost instantly, we went ahead. Mandelli tackled Alexiou perfectly, but it rolled into Franzese's path, and the tall midfielder stroked into the corner to score his 4th of the season but his first in open play. But then Antonio Di Natale struck, and how. His first of a treble was a simple rebound from a blocked header. The score was 2-2 at half time, and my instructions were clear. Score the first goal of the half - the fifth of the match would be pivotal. And we did. Gorini slung the ball into the mix, and Juho Makela let his size and strength dominate as it was his head that got to the ball first and beat Tardioli. Yet it didn't stop there. Di Natale took the ball and went on a run the home fans are used to seeing from Moroni. The Empoli man scored as good a goal as he could have - leaving Stekelenburg with no chance. The third goal in as many minutes looked to have had us killed off, as a devastating Villanueva cross caused havoc and Di Natale completed a hat-trick, all his goals in the season coming in 68 minutes. The unbelievable continued, as the scoreline became 4-4 as Makela chucked everything at Franzese's cross, and was rewarded with the goal. One more would do it, and it was Mateusz Dobek who prevailed above all. Santos fed the youngster, who had a speculative pop from 25 yards. It screamed into the top corner. icon_biggrin.gif My faith in him over Moroni is paying off, as he scored the winning goal in one of the strangest yet most entertaining matches ever. icon_cool.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Santi, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

• Administrators

Next up is the trip to the Artemio Franchi and Fiorentina. Despite their poor league position, I know they are a dangerous side, and without Asencio and now Dobek it's harder.

Fiorentina 2

Ponzio 5

Niculescu 28

Vugrinec 55

Varese 1

Alexiou 45

And we still cannot beat I Viola icon_mad.gificon_frown.gif Our third defeat of the season came at a canter for Fiorentina, who once they had the lead, never looked back. Leonardo Ponzio headed in number one, and a spell of pressure told when Romanian Claudio Niculescu dropped in the second. We had a lifeline thrown to us by way of Alexiou's drive from a tight angle, but Davor Vugrinec's free kick restored the lead to two goals and gave Fiorentina a 3-1 win. It worries me we've conceded 11 goals in three games - hopefully it isn't a permanent thing. icon_frown.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Santi, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Moroni, Makela, Alexiou

And now the return leg in Bologna. I have to go in unchanged, which means Asencio is rested so he is 100% to return for the more important league match against Avellino at the weekend.

Bologna 1

Bojinov 89

Varese 2

Santos 52

Alexiou 61

It serves the Rossoblu right that we embarrassed them in their own back yard. From the very start they sat back, thinking the goals would come easily. They even had the audacity to rest their stars. If they thought it was easy they had another thing coming. We may have been 4-0 down, but we were going out with a fight. We held out well in the first half, with Stekelenburg making a couple of good saves and Moroni looking good on the break. Then we got going. Makela's ferocious attempt was parried by Pompei, and there was Santos to execute the goal. We didn't sit on our laurels and looked for another. Alexiou and Moroni played a one-two which left the Greek clear, and he scored for the third game in succession. Bologna then realised the situation - that we had time to recover the impossible 4-0 deficit. They played better, had one disallowed before Valeri Bojinov smashed in a late consolation. We proved, quote shockingly, we can beat one of the Champions League's strongest icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Santi, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Moroni, Makela, Alexiou

Time for a little revenge, methinks. Avellino inflicted a defeat on us last season that halted our form and sent us tumbling way down the hill. Today is the perfect chance to show them our wrath. We're bolstered by the return of Asencio, whose suspension proved decent recuperation time.

Varese 4

Santos 41

Makela 48, 69

Franzese 66 pen

Avellino 1

Caracciolo 62

Pecorari sent off 65

One year ago today we had lost at Palermo, and were in the midst of a crisis. Today showed the turnaround the club made in the summer and the months since. It was tough, make that clear, but we were tougher. It took a while to break Avellino down, but crucially the goal arrived before half time. Viera Dos Santos gathered the loose ball and cannoned in his tenth of the season. Taking the lead was crucial, but building on it even moreso, and that also arrived at an important time. Less than five minutes of the second half had passed before Santos' trickery gave Makela the chance to score. The Finn still had much to do, but did it well and gave us the two goal advantage. But Avellino then gave us reason to worry, as Andrea Caracciolo (again icon_mad.gif ) headed in to give them a way back. There was to be no way back though. Pecorari went in very high on Alexiou, and was rightfully dismissed for the shocking lunge. Franzese buried the penalty. Then Makela scored his second, collecting Moroni's chip and scoring with comfort. Raffaele Moroni was magnificent - the perfect performance. How I drop him for Dobek is a decision I need to ponder. But for now I'll enjoy the 4-1 win that moves us back into the promotion zone. icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

Our promotion credentials will be tested to their fullest with the trip to Vicenza, who have similar aspirations. Moroni may have played well against Avellino, but Dobek earned his spot before his injury, and so replaces the San Marinese.

Vicenza 2

Bernardini 56

Grieco 82

Varese 2

Asencio 8

Santos 13

The only thing wrong is that we lead too early. The fact Vicenza had 77 minutes to get two back meant that a two goal lead was always doubtful. Not to say the start wasn't good. Pablo Asencio continues to prove his quality, as his quick instinct lead him to his sixth of the season. Santos made it eleven for the campaign after Alexiou fed him. The Brazilian went on yet another fall-inducing run before scoring icon_smile.gif . But as I said, Vicenza knew how long they had left. Although it did take them until 56 minutes to get one back. Stekelenburg could not hold onto Leon's shot, and Bernardini just beat Legrottaglie to the loose ball. And eventually substitute Francesco Grieco found the net for the equaliser, and the fourth time we've relinquished a lead to a 2-2 draw icon_frown.gif . Maybe if Alexiou had one of his 5 attempts on target beat Carnevali we would have won, but at least it's a point and we're still in a strong position.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

Again, if we are to gain promotion, games against the likes of Chievo are must wins. As a game in hand, we can consolidate the position. But we musn't lose.

Chievo 2

Fatello 63, 72

Breviario missed pen 42

Varese 1

Franzese 79 pen

This was quite a harsh defeat on us. We tested Chievo to their very limitations, but Chievo's strong defence, backed up by English goalkeeper Adam Cole, put up a brilliant show. The first half was only notable for Maarten Stekelenburg's brlliant save from Breviario's penalty kick. icon_smile.gif Santos came closer than was believable on 56 minutes - how his shot didn't go in, well, I'm still trying to figure that out! Umberto Fatello came on, and had an impact which won the game for Chievo. He opened the scoring on 63 with a low close range drive. His account was doubled nine minutes later with a header than eluded Stekelenburg. We then got a penalty for a foul on Alexiou, and Franzese gave us hope. Dobek forced three saves from Cole in the remaining time, but it's a deafeat which may eventually prove costly. But only if we don't win our next matches.

I keep the bank manager happy with the incoming £300,000 for Steven Sidwell. He was very homesick, and I thought better to cash in than keep an unhappy player. If I can get another midfielder in cheap before the window closes I'll be happy.

The Monday night televised game away at Udinese could prove to be the most important in our season. Again we line up unchanged as we face another side in the promotion zone.

Udinese 1

Vignaroli 72

Varese 2

Makela 18

Dobek 90

With the clock at 92:43, Mateusz Dobek struck the goal which could prove, at the end of the season, the most important ball kicked in Varese's history. The match in the Friuli was one of the tightest and most desperate we've had, but ultimately one of the most satisfying. Brazilian striker Warley had a goal ruled out very early, but Udinese had set out their intentions. So it would be an understatement to say that when Juho Makela scored a great individual goal on eighteen it was a little against the run of play icon_wink.gif . It was real backs-to-the-wall stuff for us then. Udinese bombed forwards almost incessantly, but we were coping, and also proving potent on the break. Stekelenburg made one fantastic save on the hour from Vignaroli, as the ball seared towards the top corner. Udinese did eventually equalise, through Vignaroli, after a scramble from a corner. They seemed happy with the point, but I wasn't. We set about winning the game, but it looked like it wouldn't come. But then Makela found Dobek on the left side corner of the area. The Pole jinked inside, and the rest you know icon_biggrin.gif . It could be a defining moment in the season.

The New Year starts with Torino replacing Camolese with Serse Cosmi to try and turn their season around. icon_frown.gif

• Administrators

2008 for us commences with Sampdoria at home. We may have got the important win at Udinese, but to beat Sampdoria would put us in great stead. Santi is in for the suspended Asencio, and Alexiou's injury means the only feasible replacement is Moroni, as Allen won't cause the Samp defence the problems Moroni will.

Varese 1

Makela 7

Sampdoria 0

With other results going our way today, we're up to second. But that doesn't mean a whole lot, as only two points separate us from Vicenza. Anyway, the win today puts us in that position, and we certainly deserved it. Makela consistently performs magnificently, and doesn't always get the credit as he doesn't score a whole lot. But it was his goal today, and of course all round performance, which sealed the win. Santos created the opening, and Makela beat Cigolini to the ball and score the only goal. Later the first half the Finn also hit the crossbar with a stunning drive with the ball coming across him - a strike which deserved a goal. Moroni was also a hit once again, and although he isn't a regular because the balance of our play isn't right, when he's required he brings us that something extra. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Santi, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Moroni

For the trip to Modena, I differ from my usual selection policy (probably because I have the quality to pick from now icon_biggrin.gif ). Moroni stays in ahead of Alexiou, and Asencio returns from suspension, as I pick what I consider the side that is in the best form.

Modena 2

Kamara 53, 76

Varese 3

Makela 16, 80

Santos 19

We very nearly chucked this one away. After nineteen minutes we had the cushion of a two goal lead, and Modena were never ever in it until Kamara pulled back one goal. Makela made it double figures in his first season in Italy on sixteen minutes, applying the finish to Santos' approach play. Santos was there to score himself three minutes later, following up a saved Moroni shot. Nothing was evident to worry us until eight minutes into the second half, when Diomansy Kamara exchanged passes with Brienza and strolled in for a goal. Now the worry set in to both myself and the team, and we couldn't play our usual football. Kamara was able to equalise with a header from Rebecchi's cross. Sensing my anger at throwing a two goal lead away (again icon_mad.gif ) the side went for the winner, to perhaps save them from my wrath. Thankfully for them, Dobek (who previously had a goal disallowed) sent Makela in, and the Finn scored to get the points. I'm not sure how many points he's rescued, but it has to be pretty high. And other results see us make sure of a small gap between us and the chasing pack.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Moroni

that comes across in the League standings icon_smile.gif

Italian Serie B - Sunday 6th January 2008

2007/8 Table

1st Chievo 19 7 1 1 14 3 5 1 4 13 11 38

2nd VARESE 19 6 3 0 23 10 4 2 4 18 19 35

3rd Monza 19 8 1 1 30 15 2 3 4 11 15 34

4th Como 19 7 2 1 13 5 3 1 5 12 17 33

5th Palermo 19 6 4 0 18 5 2 3 4 9 13 31

6th Fiorentina 19 5 4 0 13 4 2 6 2 10 10 31

7th Udinese 19 5 2 2 12 7 3 5 2 9 7 31

8th Vicenza 18 2 5 2 12 15 6 1 2 11 6 30

9th Sampdoria 19 6 3 1 15 5 1 5 3 10 11 29

10th Empoli 18 4 3 2 11 6 3 1 5 19 22 25

11th Reggina 18 5 3 1 17 10 0 5 4 7 15 23

12th Avellino 19 4 3 2 17 13 2 2 6 13 22 23

13th Modena 19 4 1 5 17 17 2 3 4 11 15 22

14th Genoa 18 4 3 2 17 13 1 3 5 9 19 21

15th Ascoli 19 3 6 0 12 5 1 1 8 6 18 19

16th Spal 19 3 3 4 18 19 0 6 3 13 16 18

17th Carrarese 19 3 4 2 12 11 1 2 7 10 24 18

18th Crotone 19 3 3 4 14 14 1 2 6 6 13 17

19th Catania 19 5 0 5 14 15 0 1 8 6 22 16

20th Torino 19 2 2 5 15 19 1 3 6 8 19 14

</pre>

• Administrators

If we can beat Monza, one place below us, in their own back yard, then there will be a decent points gap between ourselves and them. Once again, the eleven playing so well start, as again we're unchanged.

Monza 3

Allocca 6, 10

Sanetti 20

Varese 3

Moroni 21

Asencio 35

Alexiou 70

We showed great desire and drive to come back from a 3-0 deficit that our early defending deserved. Fabio Allocca's early double were his first goals of the season, each one finished consumnately into the corner of Stekelenburg's net. It became worse and frankly embarrassing when Francesco Sanetti (whom keen eyed readers will remember flopping at Sheffield Wednesday icon_wink.gif ) scored his first goal for Monza. To be 3-0 down after twenty minutes is better than 3-0 down after seventy, and it became a little easier just a minute after Sanetti's goal because Moroni headed in the first of our lot. And then we relieved some more pressure 15 minutes later through Pablo Asencio's header, as the Argentinian converted his seventh of the season. But then we went a little flat, and time was ticking away for us to get another. It took a brave decision to replace Makela with Alexiou, considering the Finn's recent form, but it proved to be a masterstroke. Santos delivered the perfect cross for the Greek sub to thump in the goal to complete the comeback - and he could have the winner, but for a fantastic stop by Doardo. In context this is a great point, but we should have played better earlier on.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Dobek, Makela (Alexiou 67), Moroni

For the second week in a row we play the side in third place. Como are another very dangerous side, and we'll have to be at our very best to get the maximum rewards. Again, the side that started the last match starts today.

Varese 3

Makela 6, 66

Alexiou 69

Franzese missed pen 52

Asencio injured 13

Como 2

Carbone 18, 81

It was tough, but the three points are so important, as althoug we've won, there's still no space to relax in. Makela came back to form at the right time, as on six minutes the big man was on hand to put us ahead. Como, and Benito Carbone, equalised before twenty minutes had passed with a 25 yard free kick. We had a perfect opportunity to lead early in the second half, as for the umpteenth time this season Alexiou won a penalty. We were all expecting Franzese to convert, but Nuzzo clawed it away, as Franzese missed a penalty for the first time in his career. It wasn't a hinderance for long, because Makela restored the lead with a half volley from Alexiou's cushioned header. Alexiou scored himself three minutes later, on the end of a sweeping counter attack. Carbone rescused another back near the end, but the points are crucial not only for now, but for the end of the season too.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Asencio (Alexiou 13), Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Moroni

The consecutive games against very good sides continues as we make the trip down to Reggio Calabria and face Reggina at the Garilli. They aren't the force of two years ago, but can still be a threat on their day. Asencio's injury brings Alexiou back, and the reshuffle means Franzese comes inside, so Moroni gets the left side more or less to himself.

Reggina 3

Campolonghi 41, 45

D'Agostino 58

Varese 5

Santos 17, 67, 75

Alexiou 27

Franzese 33

We recovered a three goal deficit at Monza two weeks back, and today we were nearly in trouble as a result of losing one. We had a good start which led to a goal shortly after the quarter hour mark, when Santos slammed in a loose ball. Alexiou doubled our lead with a cracking shot high into the roof of the net. Six minutes later the lead became three-nil. Dobek rose to head home, but his effort hit the bar. Franzese was there to complete the formalities and leave Belardi pondering three goals past him. So we decided to sit back, which was not the thing to do. Massimo Campolonghi - scorer of 32 goals for us three and a half seasons ago - headed twice in four minutes to give Reggina something to work on over half time. And then they drew level with another header from Roma reject Gaetano D'Agostino. icon_mad.gif . I really wasn't happy at losing the three goal lead, but we still found time to score two more - both from Viera Dos Santos. His second, which put us 4-3 ahead, came at the end of a team move that ripped Reggina apart. Santos' first hat-trick of his career arrived fifteen minutes from time, as he followed up Makela's saved effort. Eventually it was comfortable, but for a while things got hairy. icon_redface.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Moroni, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

• Administrators

With Chievo's surprise defeat yesterday, we can take a real step forwards with what looks an easy game on paper against Spal. We ran them down 4-3 back in September, and I really expect a win.

Varese 5

Franzese 8

Olivi 11 og

Alexiou 59

Makela 67

Santos 77

Tcherevchenko injured 58

Spal 3

Ali Maher 14

Pirri 57

Konan 63

It appears we follow the 'you score three, we'll score more' approach. Our aggregate over the last six games is 20-13 in our favour, and we're averaging a whole load of goals. We showed no sign of letting up today either, as Spal saw our defensive weaknesses and exploited them. We did the same to them, but with more potency. We went ahead first again, and early too. Moroni swung the deep ball over, and Franzese brought it down chest first before striking in his eighth of the season. Juho Makela made the next one three minutes later, as it was his drive which Samuele Olivi sent into his own goal. Egyptian Ibrahim Ali Maher scored his third Spal goal 3 minutes later, and suddenly Spal were back in it. The early flurry of goals were all the 9000 in attendance saw until the 57th minute (although not through a lack of trying), when Pirri drilled low and hard past Stekelenburg for the equaliser. It was Christos Alexiou who regained the lead for us with his tenth of the season; Santos leaving the Greek with an unmissable opportunity. And yet again we relinquished the advantage, as Konan finished easily to make it 3-3. As with the match in Reggina, we were able to seize the initiative for 3-3 and win the game, and again it was Santos who was the key. First off he was involved in a move with Franzese and Moroni which lead to Makela giving us the lead for the third time. This one we weren't letting go of, and the Brazilian made sure of that. This time Dobek did the hard work, and although Santos had some left to do, he made it look easy. Scoring five is great, conceding three not so. But at least, for the time being (and only on goal difference) we're back on top of Serie B for the first time since Week Nine. icon_cool.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko (Tobros 58), Moroni, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

We really should be beating Catania today. They are the last team in the table, and I think we'll have enough to beat them. Asencio isn't 100% yet, so he sits on the bench. Tobros replaced the injured Tcherevchenko.

Catania 4

Fava Passaro 18, 25, 36

Mazzi 84

Varese 2

Moroni 7

Santos 40

What an embarrassment icon_redface.gif - I'm still attempting to work out how we did this. Raffaele Moroni put us ahead with his fourth of the season after only seven minutes, and we had full control. Then Dino Fava Passaro took over. He equalised with a header, and then put Catania ahead on 25 with a lethal strike. He completed an eighteen minute hat-trick on 36 with a beautiful free kick, which was the finishing touch of the 'perfect' hat-trick (right, left, head). But Santos' goal 5 before the break put us in a situation where we could get back into the lead. That never arrived, as our finishing was woeful for the best part, and Marchetti was good when needed. Giovanni Mazzi completed the win for Catania to inflict our fifth defeat of the season, which puts us down to third, although everything is still so tight.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tobros, Moroni (Asencio 71), Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

Archived