I can't believe I thought it would be easy (the Italian Job challenge)

Philip Rolfe

• Administrators

Asencio returns in place of Moroni, and Sbrizzo in for Tobros after the shambles of Catania away. If we don't beat Palermo we'll be in danger of falling off the pace.

Varese 3

Makela 5

Alexiou 32

Legrottaglie 87

Palermo 2

Grieco 22

Walsh 77

Just about. icon_biggrin.gif We won by the tightest of margins, but that doesn't matter as long as the winning column in the league table keeps improving. Juho Makela's fifteenth of the season arrived a mere 300 seconds into the game, as the Finnish international lost his man and buried the opportunity. Cortes came close for Palermo three minutes later, and the Sicilians were proving that they can be highly dangerous. This theory was proved further on 22 when Gaetano Grieco scored against us again, following up his double in La Favorita earlier this campaign. The visitors were only on terms for ten minutes, because Christos Alexiou put us ahead again with a neat drive which cannoned in off the post. We were then subject to much pressure from Vincentzo Guerini's men, with Mattia Captiani pulling all the strings. Maarten Stekelenburg - after a few games out of touch - was back to his unbeatable best. He was only beaten eventually on 77 by young Englishman Les Walsh, who stooped to conquer with a header. We looked set to drop further points, but we scored the winner through the unlikeliest of sources. A penalty box scramble was slammed in by Nicola Legrottaglie, who last scored for us way back in Serie C. We're still very much in touch with the two sides above us - Fiorentina and Chievo. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Sbrizzo, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

I stay with the same side that beat Palermo last time out for the trip to Crotone. It could wind up being similar to the Catania loss a few weeks back, so I make sure the team know that is definitely a possibility.

Crotone 2

Ruggiu 38

Marinescu 73 pen

Varese 5

Franzese 31

Makela 37, 44

Legrottaglie 54

Alexiou 74

And so we continue with the goalscoring exploits. Five more today takes the tally to 67 in 26 league games. Verona hold the record with 94, and that could be in our sights. But I think we need the goals, as we're always guaranteed to concede. We took our time, but we did take the lead, and through lanky midfielder Roberto Franzese's back post header which was his ninth of the season. Juho Makela made it 2-0 shortly after with a crisp drive low to Gigi Turci's right. But as we do, after scoring twice we concede once. Daniele Ruggiu threw everything, including the kitchen sink, at Marinescu's cross to reduce the arrears. Makela restored the lead with a fantastic half volley from twenty yards that thumped into the top corner. icon_cool.gif It became four nine minutes into the second half. Santos' corner was headed half clear, but only to Legrottaglie, who drove home in impressive fashion for his second in consecutive games. The home side then earned a penalty for shirt pulling, and Romanian Cristian Marinescu sent Stekelenburg the wrong way. But we made it five within a minute. The team shifted the play left to right, which caught out Crotone. Alexiou was on hand to rifle in his 12th of the season. He averages a goal every other game, which is good, but also an assist in the same manner - which proves his all round worth. Another fantastic win, putting us back into second. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Sbrizzo, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

Bari contact me this morning tabling a £1.8m bid for Raffaele Moroni. I tell their manager, Andrea Mandorlini, that I'd like a little more - perhaps £2.2m, plus £1m after a set amount of appearances, and a sell on clause. I leave them to mull it over.

Bari choose not to continue discussions. Their loss, not mine icon_smile.gif

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Tonight's televised game against Genoa at the Franco Ossola is a perfect chance to take control. Chievo's defeat to Vicenza leaves us with a great chance to go top. Tcherevchenko returns to strengthen a leaky defence.

Varese 2

Asencio 13

Dobek 54

Genoa 2

Tomasson 41

Matys 59

On the night we were supposed to put ourselves in the strongest position we could be, we fluff our lines. Everything went according to plan after only thirteen minutes, as Pablo Asencio headed us ahead for the lead we craved. Alessio Scarpi was in fine notch in goal for Genoa, as he proved when he stopped Alexiou from point blank range. Genoa scored after a spell of pressure. Matys swung the free kick which Tomasson headed in. We look the lead again in the 54th minute, as Dobek found space on the left, and had the composure to beat Scarpi. Yet we conceded again, to the ever busy Piotr Matys. Sure, I'm disappointed, but anything is still possible with eleven games to go, and the fact we're in the thick of it is not a bad thing.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Martinez, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

March will bring three consecutive games against strugglers that I need maximum points from. Ascoli are the first of those three today. Fiorentina's draw at Torino means we can go top after failing last week. Gonzalo Martinez misses his first game of the season through injury, so Moroni plays in a withdrawn role.

Ascoli 1

Vaccaro 48

Varese 2

Moroni 67

Makela 70

Quality prevails over gritt and determination eventually. This was one of the toughest games of our campaign, but that is only to be expected when Ascoli are battling for their Serie B status. Both defences were on top early in the first half, as we shaded the attacking dominance, but found no reward. Angelo Vaccaro broke the deadlock with a header which flew past Stekelenburg. It began to look like one of *those* days, as even Santos was off form. But you can always rely on Raffaele Moroni to get you out of a hole when you most need it. The San Marino international showed all of his quality in curling in a 30 yard free kick to equalise. Moroni then created Makela's winner, as the Finn put in his eighteenth of the season, and the goal that returns us to the top. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Moroni, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

Without being disrespectful to the Gialloblu, we should beat Carrarese easily today to return to the top after Fiorentina went back last night. Franzesein injured now, so Santi comes in for him.

Varese 3

Makela 45

Alexiou 47 pen

Santos 81

Carrarese 1

M.Mari 78

We had an astounding 25 shots on goal icon_eek.gif - but Lorenzo Fattori was almost unbeatable - but we managed to convert 12% of the attempts into goals. We went for the jugular every time to make sure we were not going to be beaten. Nonetheless, it took until half time to score, as two shots were saved, then Makela had an open goal to keep him joint top of the scorers charts. That lead became 2-0 early in the second half as Santos won a penalty. Regular taker Franzese was off the pitch, so Alexiou took responsibility and dispatched coolly. Mari headed Carrarese back into the game less than a minute after Makela hit the bar for the second time, but Santos slammed the third past Fattori to send us back to top. With nine games left, we have a six point gap between ourselves and 5th place. It isn't large enough yet to celebrate, but we need to keep this going.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Santi, Moroni, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

• Administrators

We visit lowly Torino, who have surprised many with their shocking season, having been a pre-season title contender. But recently, under Serse Cosmi's guidance, they've helped us by taking points from Fiorentina and Vicenza, and almost beating Chievo. So I know the unchanged side I name are in for a hard one.

Torino 2

Mascara 67, 88

Varese 1

Moroni 4

Defeat wouldn't be so hard a pill to swallow if it wasn't for the fact Mascara's goal came so close to full time. As ever, we were extremely spritely, and Rafi Moroni hit a beaut from twenty yards to open the scoring early. How we didn't add to that bemuses me, because Santos was running the match on his own, but couldn't beat the magnificent Sorrentino. Strangely Alexiou's finishing was wasteful, and Makela didn't have the luck in his favour. Giuseppe Mascara scored I Granata's equaliser exactly three-quarters of the way through the game. And then the former Palermo man scored his twelfth of the season late in the day to leave us second behind Fiorentina, and needing to beat I Viola soon.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Santi, Moroni, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

If we can roll over Chievo at our ground tonight then we have a brilliant chance of promotion. Chievo are the side closest to the promotion zone, and a win will open a gap. Franzese returns for the crucial game against the side who lead for so long.

Varese 3

Asencio 2

Alexiou 21, 87

Chievo 0

Everything I could have possibly wanted. A win, goals, three points - and a clean sheet icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif . 81 days since the last shutout against Sampdoria in January, and we couldn't have pulled this out at a better time. I could not have had a better start from my side, as Pablo Asencio rose highest to head in his ninth so far. Asencio was perfect today - he held the shape of the side perfectly. As always, a one goal lead is not all that strong, and so when Christos Alexiou was on hand to beat Cole from nine yards to double the lead I was far happier. icon_smile.gif It was end to end, as we looked to secure the win, and Chievo desperately tried to rescue their season. In the end it was a mistake by Adam Cole that gave Alexiou his second. He came to punch Moroni's long pass, but mis-hit it and gave Alexiou a simple lobbed volley for his fifteenth of the season, and completing a wonderful win.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Moroni, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

The run of must-wins just keep on coming. We're away at Empoli today, and must win to keep up with the pace. No changes from the side which trounced Chievo.

Empoli 0

Varese 3

Allen 11

Dobek 50

Franzese 74 pen

Makela injured 8

Woah - two consecutive clean sheets icon_cool.gif You have to go back to September 2006 to find the last instance of that for Varese. Juhol Makela picked up an injury early doors and is out of the crucial Fiorentina match. Rory Allen came on, and played better than ever. The Englishman was played through by Moroni, and buried with his first touch. It's been hard on him not being able to get in the side, and so this response was great. Empoli tried in vain to respond, but surprisingly lacked the cutting edge they often have. Mateusz Dobek made it 2-0 on 50 minutes as Allen created the opening for the Polish striker's sixth of the season. The third came a quarter from time, after Dobek was felled by Tardioli. The Empoli keeper was sent off, and Franzese slotted past the replacement goalie to reach double figures. We couldn't be in better form to face Fiorentina on the clash for the title.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Asencio, Franzese, Moroni, Santos, Dobek, Makela (Allen 8), Alexiou

Next: A must win against Fiorentina - first versus second icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

And so to the clash of the top two: Varese vs leaders Fiorentina.Television show it live, and the national press have focused all week on this. I have a 100% record against I Viola - played five, lost five. And Makela is out. But I stay with the side that finished the last match.

Varese 3

Alexiou 74

Santos 76

Santi 90

Asencio injured 37

Fiorentina 3

Possanzini 30

Vugrinec 36

Ostopanj 83

Looking objectively, we were denied our top scorer and main physical presence, and half way through out most important midfielder. That makes a point look a great result, considering we hadn't taken anything from them before, and we were 2-0 and 3-2 down. There's little doubt we had the superior opening exchanges, as Alexiou wastefully shot over from close range. It was a matter of time until Possanzini scored against us, as he was the dangerman. He stole in unmarked to put Franco Colomba's men ahead. And then it became 2-0, as Davor Vugrinec extended his lead over Makela as top scorer. That's when defeat started to kick in to me, so something was needed. With 20 to go I decided it was now or never, and gave Santi an opportunity to save us. I'm not sure what it was, but we were sparked into life. Martinez swung a deep cross to Alexiou, and the Greek star beat Dei. With that, there was hope. And hope indeed, as Santos decided he would take on and beat three men before sending the home fans wild with an equaliser. But just like that, the momentum shifted, and Igor Ostopanj volleyed in the Florentine club's third, and a sure winner. But no! Not today. icon_smile.gif Santos again took things under control, but Dei plucked away his shot - only to Santi, who slid home the third for a deserved point.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Asencio (Martinez 37), Franzese, Moroni, Santos, Dobek, Allen (Santi 70), Alexiou

We had only previously scored one measly goal against Fiorentina, so this was even more of a great result. icon_smile.gif We are both still to play Udinese, Sampdoria, and Modena. Whoever deals with those the best will win the Serie B Championship.

Of our run in, Avellino might be the easiest game. They're resigned to a midtable finish, and as such have little but pride to play for. Tcherevchenko is suspended and Asencio injured, so Sbrizzo and Martinez are drafted into the side.

Avellino 1

Rossetti 28

Varese 1

Franzese 52

A draw is a disappointment, but it is helped as we discover Fiorentina's home defeat to Udinese (whom we still are to play) . It means we don't lose touch, in fact we gain ground. However, a win would have seen us go top, so only one point from a game we should have won is annoying. I knew fully well what Avellino would do - go for goal, grab the lead, and sit back. The game panned out exactly like that. Matteo Rossetti headed in one of Avellino's two attempts on goal all afternoon to put Novellino's men ahead. Rory Allen was trying his hardest to score, but nothing would go for him. So maybe it was a surprise that I took him off for Santi in a midfield reshuffle. Allen may have found it a strange one, but it lead to a goal. Franzese was given the central role, and it was he who reacted well to drive the equaliser into the goal. Other than that, veteran goalkeeper Salvatore Soviero was unbeatable, as we found out on eleven occasions. Still, we're in with a shout, and are only a couple of games away from confirming promotion.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Sbrizzo, Martinez, Franzese, Moroni, Santos, Dobek, Allen (Santi 45), Alexiou

• Administrators

Today could be the day we confirm promotion. If we can beat Vicenza, and Monza do us a favour by beating Chievo, only Sampdoria can mathematically catch us, and we have a magnificent goal difference. So it's the perfect time to welcome back Juho Makela from injury, and Igor Tcherevchenko from suspension.

Varese 4

Santos 8, 15

Makela 32

Franzese 43 pen

Santi injured 21

Vicenza 2

Torrisi 59

Rivalta 67

We did our part in breathtaking fashion, and Monza held up their end too, doing their promotion aspects no harm at all. Everyone in the changing room knew exactly what was required, and what was on the line. How brilliantly the lads started! Just eight minutes into the match Makela struck a hard shot which Avramov struggled to keep out. The gifted Brazilian was on hand to send the crowd into ecstacy. If that was good, his second on 15 minutes was out of this world. Makela and Dobek built well, and Santos executed a simple finish to make the Franco Ossola literally reverberate with noise, as our ultra got going. Shortly after half an hour we extended the lead to three. Santos turned provider this time, to allow Makela to get his 20th of the season, just as the Brazilian had earlier. And it became even more unbelievable on 43 minutes when Dobek was fouled inside the area, and Franzese gave us a four goal lead at half time icon_eek.gificon_cool.gif . Sadly, we didn't add to the tally, as Vicenza desperately looked for a way to get back into it. After all, a defeat would dash their hopes of promotion severely. Salvatore Torrisi and Claudio Rivalta each headed one past Stekelenburg to make the scoreline look less emphatic, but those who watched the match knew that we were easily superior, and we're almost there! icon_biggrin.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Legrottaglie, Sbrizzo, Santi (Martinez 21), Franzese, Moroni, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

The sour note is Christian Santi's injury which will rule him out for a month and thus the run in icon_frown.gif

Sampdoria played their game in hand tonight. Against Fiorentina. I decided not to go along to watch our fate played out, and what a good job it was, as I wouldn't have been able to contain my emotion come 90 minutes in Genoa. Fiorentina were two up inside six minutes through Vugrinec, which helped our promotion hopes no end. But the Blucerciati came back to draw 2-2, which confirms

VARESE ARE PROMOTED TO SERIE A!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

not only that, but we lead the Division with three games to go, and so can even take the title. But after so long in the nether reaches, next season Varese will play with Italy's elite. icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

Of course, everyone at the club are ecstatic at the promotion, but we need to beat Udinese today to keep our position at the top of the table if we are to win the title. They won in Florence two weeks back, something no-one else had done. Asencio returns at last, to replace the injured Santi.

Varese 2

Makela 31

Santos 73

Udinese 1

Rota 38

I don't think we could have had much more domination. Not only did we have 21 attempts to 3; but Udinese were swamped by a red tide incessantly moving towards them. Morgan De Sanctis was excellent in an otherwise poor Udine side. When he was beaten, we made it count. On thirty-one minutes Moroni continued his excellence by giving Makela an easy header to put the home side in front. Unfortunately, Orazio Rota stole in unmarked to equalise for Fontana's troops. Then it really was all about Varese. Dobek terrorised the opposition every time he was in posession. But it wouldn't go in until the 73rd minute, as finally it was Santos who broke the resistance and made it 22 for him this season. Fiorentina also won, so it's not done

and dusted, but we're edging closer. icon_smile.gif

Whilst we visit Sampdoria, Fiorentina are at Monza in an equally tough game. There are no changes to the side in a game that we have to win to keep fate in our hands.

Sampdoria 1

Beierholm 26

Varese 1

Alexiou 76

If we are to win the title we'll have to hope Como do us a huge favour and stop Fiorentina winning. A point was all we could muster, and even then it was a lucky point. Sampdoria ran wild throughout the first half, and took a much deserved lead from the left foot of Mads Beierholm on 26 minutes. Maarten Stekelenburg managed to keep out the blue tide for as long as was humanly possible. It was the total opposite in the second half, as we, and Santos in the main, took control. It was Santos who gave Alexiou the chance to equalise, and the Greek wasn't to spurn a chance to reach 17 for the season. So not a bad result to end our away season, and we're still unbeaten in the Luigi Ferraris.

We have the easier final game, at home to relegated Modena, but Fiorentina, on paper, could beat Como with comfort. Still, it's all possible. icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

All we can do is beat Modena and hope. It's our last game of the season, and there's going to be one hell of a party after the game to celebrate promotion - and if the title is to be lifted then it will be an even greater moment. Gorini and Asencio are suspended, so Sbrizzo and Martinez come in.

Varese 2

Dobek 28

Alexiou 36

Modena 0

Costoli sent off 39

Our end of the bargain was held up in style, as we go through the whole season unbeaten at home, infact only dropping ten points at the Franco Ossola all season icon_smile.gif . Modena never caused that much of a problem, and it was comfortable. Simone Pepe went close for the away side early on, as did French striker Diomansy Kamara. That was the best we saw of the Gialloblu. On 25 minutes Juho Makela came close with a header that was well tipped over by Pagotto. But the worry wasn't around for long because Raffaele Moroni collected the ball on the right wing, and sent in a cross for Mateusz Dobek to head home for the 1-0 lead. Moroni was continuously causing aggravation to the Modena defence, and almost set Alexiou free for the second. Martinez gave the Greek a similar opportunity, only to find his route to the goal blocked. The same combination worked a minute later, and this time Alexiou finished consumnately to round off a fantastic debut season in Italy. The game then became much harder for Modena, because Costoli launched himself at Alexiou, and only got the Greek, not the ball. He was duly dismissed by Giancarlo Rubino, and from the resulting free kick Makela put a header over the bar.

At half time I knew the score coming from Fiorentina, but I wasn't about to let my team know, as it could have had any number of effects. Pagotto made the first real save of the second half on 54 minutes from Dobek's swivelling half volley. A fantastic team move then ensued that nearly gave Martinez his first of the season, but a last ditch tackle from Kamara of all people prevented it. Twenty minutes from time Alexiou sent a searing drive heading towards the top corner that was again magnificently turned away by Pagotto. From the corner, Roberto Franzese headed in what looked a fair goal, but handball was cited as the reason for it's cancellation. Harsh, because had it counted we would have set a new Serie B goalscoring record of 95 in a season. We'll have to be content with being level with Verona's 94. We tried to reach 95, but Santos and Dobek were again kept out. We won 2-0, and the party atmosphere kicked off. But would one more element be a cause for greater celebration, as the score from Florence arrived.....

Over in the city of the Renaissance, Fiorentina had started like a shot. Literally seconds had passed before Montezine, the Brazilian attacker, had opened the scoring. Como started to come forwards some more, but had nothing to show at half time. Emiliano Rey had a chance shortly after half time, which was woefully headed over. Raffaele Nuzzo was showing great form in goal to keep Vugrinec out. Rey headed over again nearer the end, as time was running out for Como to help us. Bonazzoli had their final chance, but referee Ricardo Ioseffi blew time on the season, and it was Fiorentina who clinched the title. icon_frown.gif

Still, the capacity crowd that turned up were in no mood to mourn, as for the first time in the club's history, Varese will be playing amonst the elite next season. Trips to Turin, Milan, Rome - some of the world's greatest players and stadia - the fans are already flocking for season tickets. And personally, I'm ready to celebrate after a long and stressful season. We may not have won the title, but dammit, WE'RE GOING UP!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Sbrizzo, Legrottaglie, Tcherevchenko, Martinez, Franzese, Moroni©, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

• Administrators

The Final Table shows how close it was at the end, and how impressive we were in the end too icon_cool.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

************************************************************************************************

Italian Serie B - Sunday 11th May 2008

************************************************************************************************

================================================================================================

2007/8 Table

================================================================================================

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st P Fiorentina 38 14 4 1 37 10 7 10 2 27 19 77

2nd P VARESE 38 14 5 0 53 26 8 5 6 41 36 76

3rd Chievo 38 13 2 4 29 17 7 3 9 21 25 65

4th Udinese 38 9 6 4 24 17 8 7 4 23 16 64

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5th Monza 38 13 2 4 46 27 6 3 10 24 29 62

6th Vicenza 38 9 7 3 29 20 8 4 7 24 25 62

7th Sampdoria 38 11 5 3 32 12 5 7 7 17 18 60

8th Empoli 38 9 5 5 25 17 8 4 7 37 37 60

9th Palermo 38 10 4 5 34 21 7 4 8 30 31 59

10th Como 38 13 3 3 38 20 5 2 12 20 35 59

11th Crotone 38 9 4 6 27 22 5 6 8 22 27 52

12th Avellino 38 10 6 3 35 24 4 2 13 27 48 50

13th Torino 38 8 3 8 35 33 6 3 10 23 35 48

14th Reggina 38 9 4 6 37 30 3 7 9 23 32 47

15th Genoa 38 8 6 5 33 27 3 7 9 17 34 46

16th Ascoli 38 7 10 2 26 13 2 1 16 14 36 38

17th R Spal 38 6 6 7 34 35 1 7 11 21 42 34

18th R Carrarese 38 6 6 7 26 26 2 3 14 17 41 33

19th R Modena 38 5 1 13 25 40 4 3 12 23 39 31

20th R Catania 38 7 1 11 24 30 1 2 16 16 44 27

</pre>

• Administrators

and in more stats, the full Varese results icon_smile.gif

Varese - Saturday 31st May 2008

2007/8 Fixtures

Date Opposition Ven Competition Res Attend Scorers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12.8.07 Catania A Italian Cup Grp 2 1:0 10219 Mäkelä

19.8.07 Vicenza H Italian Cup Grp 2 1:1 8474 Allen

24.8.07 Monza H Serie B 3:0 7606 Viera Dos Santos 2, Allen

29.8.07 Cosenza A Italian Cup Grp 2 1:1 7145 Viera Dos Santos

9.9.07 Reggina H Serie B 2:2 7073 Viera Dos Santos, Mäkelä

16.9.07 Spal A Serie B 4:3 17419 Alexiou 2, Asencio 2

19.9.07 Napoli A Italian Cup 1st Rnd Leg 1 3:1 36420 Asencio, Viera Dos Santos, Moroni

23.9.07 Catania H Serie B 3:0 8205 Mäkelä, Viera Dos Santos 2

30.9.07 Palermo A Serie B 0:2 10501

3.10.07 Como A Serie B 0:1 4242

7.10.07 Crotone H Serie B 2:0 7872 Franzese pen, Dobek

14.10.07 Genoa A Serie B 3:1 13229 Asencio, Moroni, Alexiou

21.10.07 Ascoli H Serie B 1:1 8270 Franzese pen

24.10.07 Napoli H Italian Cup 1st Rnd Leg 2 0:0 7873

28.10.07 Carrarese A Serie B 2:2 10734 Asencio, Franzese pen

4.11.07 Torino H Serie B 2:2 8376 Dobek, Viera Dos Santos

11.11.07 Bologna H Italian Cup 2nd Rnd Leg 1 0:4 7872

18.11.07 Empoli H Serie B 5:4 7962 Alexiou, Franzese, Mäkelä 2, Dobek

25.11.07 Fiorentina A Serie B 1:3 31255 Alexiou

28.11.07 Bologna A Italian Cup 2nd Rnd Leg 2 2:1 21639 Viera Dos Santos, Alexiou

2.12.07 Avellino H Serie B 4:1 7914 Viera Dos Santos, Mäkelä 2, Franzese pen

9.12.07 Vicenza A Serie B 2:2 11791 Asencio, Viera Dos Santos

12.12.07 Chievo A Serie B 1:2 6766 Franzese pen

17.12.07 Udinese A Serie B 2:1 19535 Mäkelä, Dobek

3.1.08 Sampdoria H Serie B 1:0 7897 Mäkelä

6.1.08 Modena A Serie B 3:2 4681 Mäkelä 2, Viera Dos Santos

13.1.08 Monza A Serie B 3:3 10172 Moroni, Asencio, Alexiou

20.1.08 Como H Serie B 3:2 11565 Mäkelä 2, Alexiou

23.1.08 Reggina A Serie B 5:3 20633 Viera Dos Santos 3, Alexiou, Franzese

27.1.08 Spal H Serie B 5:3 9073 Franzese, Olivi og, Alexiou, Mäkelä

Viera Dos Santos

3.2.08 Catania A Serie B 2:4 10263 Moroni, Viera Dos Santos

10.2.08 Palermo H Serie B 3:2 8409 Mäkelä, Alexiou, Legrottaglie

17.2.08 Crotone A Serie B 5:2 3592 Franzese, Mäkelä 2, Legrottaglie, Alexiou

25.2.08 Genoa H Serie B 2:2 8242 Asencio, Dobek

2.3.08 Ascoli A Serie B 2:1 11309 Moroni, Mäkelä

9.3.08 Carrarese H Serie B 3:1 8010 Mäkelä, Alexiou pen, Viera Dos Santos

16.3.08 Torino A Serie B 1:2 8782 Moroni

26.3.08 Chievo H Serie B 3:0 7737 Asencio, Alexiou 2

30.3.08 Empoli A Serie B 3:0 7854 Allen, Dobek, Franzese pen

4.4.08 Fiorentina H Serie B 3:3 8242 Alexiou, Viera Dos Santos, Santi

13.4.08 Avellino A Serie B 1:1 7978 Franzese

20.4.08 Vicenza H Serie B 4:2 8503 Viera Dos Santos 2, Mäkelä, Franzese pen

27.4.08 Udinese H Serie B 2:1 8010 Mäkelä, Viera Dos Santos

4.5.08 Sampdoria A Serie B 1:1 9135 Alexiou

11.5.08 Modena H Serie B 2:0 8056 Dobek, Alexiou

</pre>

• Administrators

It's time for the Season Review;

So, 288 games later, and Varese will finally be a Serie A side. For the first time in the history of the club we will be in Italy's top division, mixing with the elite not only on the peninsula but also in Europe. This season started with a bang and wasn't stopped. Two moderate mid table finishes had preceeded this season, but the clearout in the summer, and the resultant rebuilding and financial security gave us the base to push off from, and how we did it. We scored 94 goals in 38 games, a feat only Verona have matched in recent times. Every one of those 94 goals was needed as we conceded 64 - which I suppose is only to be expected with our ultra-attacking football. This was epitomised in our many five goal wins, but the most important win of the season came in Udinese, as we scored an injury time winner to give us that mid season kick to press on for promotion. Mateusz Dobek's goal was the one that gave us the impetus to go on and achieve promotion.

For someone to take the goalkeepers gloves off Girardi they would have had to have been some talent. Maarten Stekelenburg had his dodgy spells, and although he conceded 75 in 40 all season, he prevented twice that amount. He has fantastic reflexes and was worth 20 points on his own. Not to say the defence wasn't important. Once again, led by captain Edoardo Gorini, who now totals 381 games for the club, the defence were imperative in maintaining the winning formula. At the age of 34 the captain, having served Varese all his career, will finally realise the dream of playing in Serie A. Alongside him for much of the season were Igor Tcherevchenko and Nicola Legrottaglie, and together the three made a partnership which although wasn't impregnable, it was very physical to play against. Legrottaglie chipped in with important goals at crucial times too. When they were needed, Sbrizzo and Tobros were more than adequate.

This time last season I was talking about the lack of depth and real quality we had in the midfield. Work was done over the 2007 summer, and we lined up with a new three man partnership of Pablo Asencio, Gonzalo Martinez, and Roberto Franzese. Argentinian Asencio impressed immediately, scoring goals from his defensive role. He eventually ended up with nine, which is a great total for the midfield general he is. The only downside to his game is his disciplinary record - ten yellow and one red kept him out at important times. Roberto Franzese appeared to be one of those midfielders who does his job and does it quietly but efficiently. Over time the 27 year old proved he had far more to his game. He sent in twelve goals to the Varese cause - seven penalties - but he was almost ever present and played a key role in promotion. Gonzalo Martinez was there keeping the shape and becoming the most defensively mided of the three. Nothing fancy, but the kind of player needed to have equilibrium.

Then there's Raffaele Moroni. The San Marino international is an undoubted talent, but he obviously felt he can play at higher echelons already. I persuaded him to stay, as I felt we were on the verge of breaking through the glass roof. Moroni was apprehensive, but gave me a chance as I had given him one, and now look. icon_biggrin.gif He didn't play for the first third of the season, but when he did he provided magnificent quality every time he stepped onto the field. Six goals is less than previous seasons, but making sixteen is an achievement which stands out. Moroni will be a crucial part of the Serie A Varese side. Christian Santi and Ianis Zicu both showed great signs of progress during the year.

But it was the attack that took the plaudits at the end of the day. Any quartet that scores over 100 in all competitions are going to worry a few defences, and my four did that and more. Starting with Carlos Alberto Viera Dos Santos, who showed in his loan spell last season he was one to watch. I gave him the chance that no-one else had, and he repaid me with 22 goals and 14 assists. He's a lovely dribbler, can sprint forever, and never stops working. Serie A defences had better watch out - he's coming for you. icon_biggrin.gif

Juho Makela was someone I'd been after for a few seasons. He finally joined and may have been that missing link I'd been rambling on about. He was the big man - not especially tall, but as strong as an ox and then some. He can work the ball well, and can head and shoot as good as anyone. 21 goals is a great return in Italy, and he lead the forward line's charge tirelessly. He won't have much of a break, as he's off the Euro 2008 with Finland. Hopefully he'll prove himself to all of Europe, as he's good enough. Partnering him originally were Moroni and Allen - the latter did well, but made way for another hitman. Christos Alexiou came in under a wave of hype, and struck gold. Not only did he score 18 goals in his first season away from Greece, but he made twelve more for the cause. Many respected media members see this guy as going on to achieve greatness. The same has been said of the third member - Mateusz Dobek. He didn't get much of a chance in his first two seasons, but was reccommended by Batigol - no greater praise in my opinion. Seven goals is good, as are 9 assists, but his allround game occupies so many that others can benefit. He has been rated one of Serie B's most valuable assets, and could be in his element next season.

So where to now? Obviously Serie A, but first the squad have a well earned summer rest. There will need to be some changes, especially in defence, as Serie A is a whole new world. A quality defender should be in, as should a proven attacker just in case one of my current crop should fail. We'll get a few millions for the first time which will help no end. If those in charge use it correctly, we'll have top class facilities in place, and a financial future ready for a long spell in the top division - I'm not going straight back down, that's for sure! icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

Around Europe.....

Inter took a fourth straight Scudetto crown in Italy in a dramatic last day duel with Roma. The Giallorossi did their part in beating Venezia comfortably, but the 0-0 draw away at Verona was enough to see Cuper take another title to the San Siro for Inter, and take them ever closer to that second star on their shirt to equal rivals Milan. Juventus and Lecce gain Champions League spots, ahead of Bologna (European Cup runners up) and Lazio, then Milan in seventh. The relegation places were sorted early, as Cagliari, Bari, Verona and Perugia had their fate sorted a long while before the end. Replacing these four are Fiorentina, Varese, Chievo, and Udinese - Varese becoming Serie A's first debut side for many a year.

To England where Liverpool retained their crown as Premiership Champions by a prolific 17 point margin from Man Utd. Houllier's side took a 22nd English top league title with ease as the rest faltered, and Liverpool were there to take advantage with their fantastic squad. Chelsea and Sunderland complete the Champions League places, with Arsenal and Ipswich making the UEFA Cup. Not one of Coventry, Bradford, and Man City sre new to relegation, but the fans won't take solice from that. At the other end of the emotion scale, Southampton, Leicester, and Sheffield United experience the ecstacy of promotion - the Blades in a thrilling 5-4 playoff final win against Blackburn.

Barcelona set a new Spanish League record by completing a seventh straight title win - and again by a huge margin of 16 points. With the likes of Di Vaio, Nesta, Saviola, Puyol, and Beckham it's not surprising either. Betis won the battle for second from the two Galician based clubs - Celta and Deportivo, who come third and fourth. The three smaller sides - Cordoba, Osasuna, and Elche - are relegated; Santander, Gijon, and Valladolid make a return to La Liga.

Bordeaux won their first title in nine years in France from Monaco by 14 points. Nantes claim the final Champions League place. The biggest shock of all is the relegation of Paris Saint Germain - one of the biggest sides in Europe will play Second Division football in 2008-09, and with such a lot of big names - Marlet, Ogbeche, Fadiga et more - they may lose a lot of the playing squad, so a return is no guarantee. Le Havre and Auxerre also go down - Auxerre also a big shock - and their replacements are Valenciennes, Angers, and Sedan.

Werder Bremen broke a 15 year curse over the Bundesliga in Germany as they won their first title since 1993. The ten point margin from Schalke 04 was comfortable in the end after a tight race for most of the time. Freiburg pushed Bayern and Dortmund out of the Champions League places to upset the traditional order of things. Saarbrucken, Hamburg, and Babelsburg are down, and up will be Energie Cottbus, Bochum, and Stuttgart.

Once again it's the time where Awards are given out icon_smile.gif

FIFA World Player of the Year - Hernan Crespo (Inter)

World Footballer of the Year - Alan Smith (Hertha BSC)

Serie B Manager of the Year - Franco Colomba (Fiorentina)

Serie A Player of the Year - Walter Samuel (Roma)

Serie A Young Player of the Year - Paolo De Crescenzo (Salernitana)

Serie A Defender of the Year - Walter Samuel (Roma)

Serie A Top Goalscorer - Hernan Crespo (Inter, 21 goals)

Serie A Italian Player of the Year - Christian Vieri (Inter)

Serie A Foreign Player of the Year - Hernan Crespo (Inter)

Serie B Player of the Year - Mateusz Dobek (Varese)

Serie B Top Goalscorer - Davor Vugrinec (Fiorentina, 26 goals)

I was declared runner up in the Manager of the Year Awards, and we cleaned up in the Serie B Player of the Year Award - Makela and Moroni came runners up to Dobek. icon_smile.gif

As far as the Serie B team of the season goes, Stekelenburg is considered the best keeper, whilst Dobek, Makela, Moroni and Alexiou all make the starting side. Viera Dos Santos makes the bench. icon_cool.gif

• Administrators

and finishing the summer off....

More Awards;

European Footballer of the Year - Marco Di Vaio (Barcelona)

European Goalkeeper of the Year - Gianluigi Buffon (Barcelona)

European Defender of the Year - Wilfried Bouma (Barcelona)

European Midfielder of the Year - Oliver Neuville (Inter)

European Striker of the Year - Marco Di Vaio (Barcelona)

The end of season Awards evening sees the previously named winners collecting trophies, and the Supporters Club dishing out their Player of the Season Award to Christos Alexiou, which was a surprise but the Greek has settled brilliantly here.

The Serie A fixtures list is published today, and we could not have a harder start. We travel to Fiorentina in week one before Milan play us in the first Serie A match at the Franco Ossola. We then make the trip to the Olimpico and Roma. Hard indeed icon_eek.gif

Shopping is hard, as although we have over £5m at my disposal, I need to consider the club's economic future. Which is why Kevo Gulessarian has arrived on a free, and Daniel Orellana has signed for £55k with a further £45,000 should he play ten times for Argentina - which is a great bargain. Gulessarian is like Christian Vieri in that he's an Australian-Italian, and has an eye for goal. Orellana is a centre back with a bright future ahead of him.

Raffaele Moroni has again expressed a desire to leave Varese in search of pastures new. In light of his form last season I am tempted to decline, but if he really wants to leave then I'll let him, as I can possibly get another more than decent midfielder for the money I might get for him.

I sign a third player of the summer. Scottish international striker Stephen McPhee has talent, but whether he can make it in Serie A is something he'll have to prove. Myself and the staff here are all in agreement there is undoubted ability, and so to snap him up on a free transfer is a good deal.

Now the attacking ranks are truly swelling as I'm able to pick up an absolute legend on a free transfer. He may be 35, but Christian Vieri is capable of 20 goals a season, as he has shown for the last eight consecutive seasons. He may not get a regular place but he's always important to have to get the important goal. I say not regualr as I've been hugely impressed and owe a lot to Mateusz Dobek, Juho Makela and Christos Alexiou. But none of these have played in Serie A. Vieri's won the League for the last four seasons - his experience will be vital.

I needed to arrange a friendly just to get rid of the ring rust after not having to participate in the Coppa Italia Group Stage this year. Vicenza kindly offered the opposition, and so I put out my intended first team side against a side that have caused a few problems in the past. In the second half I hope to see some of my other players - including Christian Vieri, who starts on the sidelines.

Varese 4

Makela 3, 8

Santos 20

Moroni 74

Vicenza 0

This was exactly what was needed - a nice comfortable way back into the flow of things, as we won the game early and then concentrated on not letting anything slip and building on what we have already. Just three minutes into the game Juho Makela picked up from where he finished off last season by rifling the opener in. An almost identical strike followed five minutes later to give the Finn a double and us a comfortable lead. Viera Dos Santos made the scoreline an even more impressive three-nil with a fine solo burst and strike. It was easy from then on, with Stekelenburg only worried once. The lead saw the chance to rest Dobek and Alexiou after an hour and give appearances in a Varese shirt for the first time for Christian Vieri and Stephen McPhee. Vieri thought he'd scored on his first run out with a back post header, but was adjudged offside. Despite Raffaele Moroni being on the transfer list, I am playing him as he is still quality, and the San Marinese proved this with a sublime free kick fifteen minutes from time to secure an easy win. I was particularly impressed with how Daniel Orellana seamlessly slotted into the back three, and the performance of the whole side was beautiful to watch.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Asencio, Moroni, Santos, Dobek (C.Vieri 61), Makela, Alexiou (McPhee 61)

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spooky:

How's your reputation now? Do you see yourself taking over Torino or Juve soon?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm up to 9th in Italy icon_smile.gif - but no sign of a ticket to Turin yet icon_frown.gif

cheers for the nice-ities guys icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

who cares about CM4 - Varese are stil here! icon_biggrin.gif

----------------------------------------

We are drawn against Como in the First Round of the Coppa Italia. After not having to negotiate the group phase, we have as good a chance as ever to win this thing, and it may be one of our main focuses (of course, survival is utmost) as it carries a European spot icon_smile.gif

Our Serie A adventure starts at Fiorentina, where we don't do well ever. Mateusz Dobek failed a fitness test and misses the big kick off, so Christian Vieri starts.

Fiorentina 1

Vugrinec 30

Vugrinec missed pen 28

Varese 0

C.Vieri injured 6

We could have taken a point but it wasn't overly disappointing considering we were denied the services of Dobek and then Vieri, who went off early doors with a twisted ankle and is out for a month. icon_frown.gif Stephen McPhee was actually impressive, and forced a few decent saves out of David Dei. Juho Makela disappointed and went missing when we really needed him. The defense was only breached once, by a towering header from Davor Vugrinec. Just two minutes prior the Croatian had a penalty saved by Maarten Stekelenburg. It wasn't overly bad, but points are all that matters - the sooner we get moving the better.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Asencio, Moroni, Santos, C.Vieri (McPhee 6), Makela (Santi 88), Alexiou

The visit of Milan poses a huge threat. World class players everywhere you look - Henry, Shevchenko, Joe Cole, Luca Toni, Pirlo - it's endless. Mateusz Dobek is fit to resume his duties.

Varese 1

Alexiou 4

Milan 3

Toni 1

Pirlo 18

Ambrosini 30

We were outclassed for a while before coming back and gaining some respect. In the very first minute Milan were ahead, as Luca Toni's aerial presence dominated for the Italian to crash in a header. But we struck back straight away as Christos Alexiou slammed in Varese's first ever Serie A goal. icon_smile.gif But reality came back with a jolt, because Andrea Pirlo scored a volley that would have beaten any keep let alone Stekelenburg. The quality we were facing streamed forwards in confident fashion, and Massimo Ambrosini finished a move that ripped us to shreds. The second half saw an improvement in our game, as Dobek and Alexiou did very well up against Milan's world class selection, and showed we can play football. But it's worth nothing with a defeat.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Asencio, Moroni, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

• Administrators

Hopefully we can get some confidence by beating Como away in the Coppa Italia. After all, they're a Serie B side, and we did well last season icon_biggrin.gif

Como 2

Allegretti 26

Rey 29

Varese 2

Dobek 58

Makela 65

Asencio sent off 45

Complacency almost embarrassed us. After 29 minutes we were deservedly two goals down to a livlier and hungrier Como. Riccardo Allegretti got things moving with a thumping free kick teed up by Rey. Rey himself slotted in the second three minutes later to leave us looking down the barrel of defeat. And to make things worse, Pablo Asencio was sent off for a wreckless lunge. But we came out in the second half and looked something like ourselves. Alexiou crossed for Dobek to head over, but the Pole got it right second time around to half the deficit. Juho Makela found the net in competitive football at last this season with a one yard tap in to equalise, but it's a goal, and hopefully the Finn will get moving now. The draw gives us a good chance of progressing as we've got the two away goals. Roma next icon_redface.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Asencio, Moroni, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

Our match against Roma kicks off on Saturday afternoon as the Romanista have a midweek engagement. Again, there is world class talent in the Giallorossi ranks - Totti, Alex, Emerson, Rodriguez, Montella - we'll have our hands full again.

Roma 1

Luizao 52

Varese 1

Dobek 71

Our first ever Serie A point comes at the Stadio Olimpico in a draw that we should not, on paper, have taken. But Roma saw us as a pushover and sat back, content that they would stroll to a win. And this worked pretty well in the first half, as Montella and Luizao ran us ragged, but found no finished article as Stekelenburg began to frustrate them. We showed that we were no pushovers as well, as our attacking flair began to show as Alexiou hammered past Pellizzoli but into the bar. So to be level against Roma at half time was a strange feeling but we knew that we needed to keep it tight and look for one on the break. Three minutes after half time Montella was irate that his header was disallowed for offside. Maybe he had a case - I really didn't see the whole incident. It wasn't to matter though, as Brazilian Luizao slammed past Stekelenburg to break our resolve. Or so it appeared. Mateusz Dobek really caused the Roma central pairing of Viali and Sol Campbell problems, and when they failed to pick him up on 71 minutes, the Pole stroked in the equaliser nonchalently. Santos even hit the bar late on as we could have won, but a draw is better than the defeat everyone in the world of calcio expected. icon_smile.gif

Now those are out of the way we can concentrate on getting more points on the board.

I'm expecting our first league win of the campaign to arrive at Chievo today. The Flying Donkeys have struggled on their return to Serie A, and with arguably our strongest side out there, we really must win games like these to stay up come May.

Chievo 2

Lanna 51

Gragnaniello 66

Varese 3

Makela 32

Santos 48

Dobek 87

That's more like it. icon_smile.gif We dictated a majority of the game, as we can, but credit to Chievo, they did pretty well. We took the lead shortly after half an hour when Juho Makela found a Serie A net for the first time; pouncing on a loose ball to hammer past Lupatelli. Chievo still looked dangerous, and so we needed a second. That came from Santos' first of the season. Another defensive error gave the Brazilian the chance, which he took by expertly lobbing Lupatelli. Chievo then set about recovering quickly. Experienced left back Salvatore Lanna drilled high into the roof of the net to bring one goal back for Del Neri's side, and Umberto Gragnaniello scored his first ever Chievo goal to shock us and take away our lead. So the game swung again, as we looked for a winner. It nearly never came, but when it did it was extremely crucial. Mateusz Dobek cracked in a thunderbolt of a shot that would have beaten any keeper. The Pole clinched the first ever win in Serie A for Varese Calcio icon_biggrin.gif

• Administrators

A midweek visit from Salernitana. They have some serious young talent - some of their players are the future of football. And so it will be yet another hard match, as I again stay unchanged.

Varese 0

Salernitana 2

Wysocki 15

Ferrarese 69

This defeat was perhaps slightly harsh because we could have taken at least a point. The visitors were lively from the start and deserved a lead through Polish captain Marcin Wysocki's cool finish. Angelo Schembri also then hit the crossbar as Salernitana pressed. But we were still very much in it, and Juho Makela had a goal chalked off for offside early in the second half which would have put us in the driving seat, but as it didn't stand, we weren't. Former Napoli stalwart Claudio Ferrarese headed in the clincher, and although Dobek and Santos tried to score, we have missed a cutting edge up front. When he's fit, Vieri may be the one we need.

Over the last few weeks it has become apparent that we need a few new faces to keep things fresh. Today I unveil one new signing and announce three more to arrive soon. Arriving today is Greek B International Stilianos Doukas from Ionikos. I have payed a club record £725,000 plus £275,000 after the midfielder completes 20 games. He's scored plenty of goals from midfield, is a beautiful passer, can graft and craft, and has a mean shot which complements his game. He is going to be a bargain. icon_smile.gif

The press conference also gives me time to announce the completion of three deals to go through on December 15th. Three Brazilians are on their way in. First up, Cruziero striker Dudu, who's quick, strong and agile, and has a good record for scoring. The other two are defenders. Claudio Cavalcante is 21 and a centre back, who will go on to earn full Brazilian honours - showing at Botafogo he can play exceptional football. The third is from Olympiakos. Edu Dracena is a well known player signed to help the defence with fantastic aerial presence. The three Brazilians cost £775K altogether - bargains, and you have to spend money to make money icon_smile.gif

Moroni's injury conveniently makes room for Doukas to make his debut. I know he only just arrived, but the lad is eager to play, and I know he could do something for us against Parma. With Vieri's inclusion over Makela, I'm excited for the visit of Parma and the television cameras as we go in search of our first home win.

Varese 3

Asencio 12

Doukas 15

Santos 46

Parma 1

Orellana 26 og

Beautiful. icon_smile.gif Stilianos Doukas had a wonderful debut - there was nothing more he could have done. Just twelve minutes in the Greek slid a slide-rule pass to Pablo Asencio, and the Argentinian, who has been in moderate form, drilled us ahead. Three minutes later it became two. Edoardo Dokoza awarded us a free kick which Vieri tried to take quickly. He was called back, and the retake was curled into the top corner by Doukas icon_biggrin.gif - a wonderful strike. Parma found a way back as Adriano's shot unfortunately hit Orellana and beat Stekelenburg. But it didn't phase us, as for a change the whole side played together, and we were rewarded. Santos made the scoreline more comfortbale 34 seconds into the restart with a solo burst from Dobek's pass, and Parma's stars never showed up. Dobek took the man of the match award from Doukas, but both were amazing. The finest win for a long while, and we're off the mark at home in Serie A. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Asencio, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, C.Vieri, Alexiou

There is no way I can change the side that ripped Parma apart for the visit of struggling Venezia. So we go in to this match with high hopes of continuing on from last week.

Varese 4

Santos 8, 17, 22

C.Vieri 64

Asencio injured 15

C.Vieri injured 89

Venezia 1

Fernandinho 25

An absolutely emphatically brilliant victory. icon_biggrin.gif Even though it's only Venezia, performances like this can boost confidence like nothing else, and when players are at the top of their games things become better. One man in more form than anyone is Carlos Alberto Viera Dos Santos. The Brazilian playmaker was fast out of the blocks today, completing his second career hat-trick before people had time to catch their breath. Just eight minutes had passed when he headed in Franzese's cross from a gorgeous move that must be a contender for goal of the season. On seventeen minutes Alexiou's attempt from a Zicu corner was parried, and Santos was on hand to prod home. And it was Alexiou who created the third, giving Santos time and space to claim the match ball. Just a minute later Santos hit the bar, as he looked unstoppable. Fernandinho scored a fine goal to bring Venezia back in with a shout, and they looked a little dangerous. But we survived and continued dominating. Christian Vieri finally found the mark for his new club on 64 minutes, connecting with a long Gorini pass to tie up three more points. On the downside we lost Vieri and Asencio to injury, and both may miss two weeks action.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Asencio (Zicu 15), Doukas, Santos, Dobek, C.Vieri (Makela 89), Alexiou

• Administrators

Back to Coppa Italia duties as Como come here holding a 2-2 draw from the first leg, but we have the away goals. Asencio's injury coincides with a suspension, so Zicu gets an extremely rare start after impressing last match. And sensibly Makela replaces Vieri.

Varese 5

Santos 4, 26

Alexiou 29

Makela 54, 61

Santos injured 42

Como 0

Serafini sent off 22

Andrea Mandorlini only took over at Como yesterday, and saw his side ripped apart as we used the match as shooting practice. It took only four minutes for us to break their resolve, as once more Santos proved a class above as he ran through and unleashed a venoumous effort into the very top corner. Gabriele Serafini earned two yellow cards in a short spell to see a quick end to his evening, and give us more of an advantage. Santos' fantastic form continued on 26 minutes as Makela gave him a tap in, although he nearly amazingly missed after slipping on the horribly wet surface. Three minutes later it was all over. Dobek swung an undefendable cross in Makela's general direction, and as the Finn's header was saved, Alexiou was there for an easy rebound. Worry then set in because Santos had to go off injured icon_frown.gif - but a quick half time chat with my physio Fabio D'Angelo told me that it would only be ten days or so out. Juho Makela finally got the goal his performance warranted, after hitting both the post and the bar he took Franzese's square pass and created room to pick the corner of Pinheiro's goal. And he made it a five star performance as Zicu, Dobek, Franzese and Moroni all worked an opening to which Makela gratefully finished. Como are only Serie B, so this win, however pleasing, is only relative based on opposition. But without a doubt we're playing 'sexy football' at this time - we're unplayable in periods, and it makes me proud. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Zicu, Doukas, Santos (Moroni 42), Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

The next round of the Coppa Italia pits us against Parma icon_biggrin.gif - will they be wanting revenge or fearing another dose of us?

Lecce is a notoriously hard place to visit, and with the absence of Vieri, Asencio, and Santos it is a much harder trip. Moroni starts in Santos' place.

Lecce 2

Marchesi 4

Cassetti 13

Varese 1

Makela 49

We were badly undone early in the match, and it was that which let us down. Tommaso Marchetti has had a great start to the season and drilled his side ahead early in. The lead was doubled on thirteen minutes as well travelled Marco Cassetti poked past Stekelenburg to make things look very ominous. Thankfully we were able to weather the storm and start playing football. Makela was getting involved well, and created chances for those around him. Alexiou wasted the best of those with a wayward slash in a decent position. Obviously fed up with the wasting, Juho Makela scored himself, finding space to reduce the deficit. He almost put us on terms ten minutes later but was prevented by a great one handed stop by Christian Abbiati. Makela, singlehandedly, almost got us back in the game, but was let down by the consistency of others, and so we lost. But overall I'm still satisfied with the effort and workload put in.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Zicu, Doukas, Moroni, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

• Administrators

Udinese are next on our agenda, and we have a pretty good record against them. More selection problems arise, as Orellana is suspended and Dobek injured, so Tobros comes in, and Kevo Gulessarian makes his long awaited debut. Christian Vieri resumes on the bench as he's only 65% fit, but more importantly Santos is fit to come back.

Varese 3

Gulessarian 5

Alexiou 76

Santos 84

Udinese 2

Warley 15

Pinga 30

It took five minutes for Kevo Gulessarian to show he has more in common with Christian Vieri than just his Australian-Italian roots (a comparison always made by media figures here). The 27 year old ex-Marconi striker powered down the left, and cut inside before hammering an unstoppable drive in on his debut. But Udinese were back in the match quicker than I'd have wanted. Warley's shot was parried, but he followed in the attempt to shoot home off the crossbar. Fellow Brazilian compatriot Pinga gave the Friuli side the lead with a sharp reaction shot to beat Stekelenburg. Udinese continued to press, but in the face of adversity Stekelenburg and Tcherevchenko put in a masterclass in battling. But we couldn't get out. We had no attacking outlets, even up to the hour mark. Then things started moving, as Santos became more involved. Christos Alexiou finally put us level after 76 minutes from a wonderful cross from the impressive Ianis Zicu. That was the moment to introduce Vieri in Makela's place for the push for victory. It worked icon_biggrin.gif . Tcherevchenko's cross was deep, but Vieri managed to keep the ball alive. Santos met the ball on the run to thump a header past De Sanctis to win the match and score his eighth in ten games, to restore our collective form - which was nice. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Tobros, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Zicu, Doukas, Santos, Gulessarian, Makela (C.Vieri 76), Alexiou

Kevo Gulessarian and Ianis Zicu had brilliant matches, in the latter case his best for Varese (although it's not hard having played twelve games in three seasons). Unfortunately for the Romanian, just as he begins to get a run in the side he picks up a knee ligament injury requiring three weeks on the sidelines icon_smile.gif .

Parma visit the Franco Ossola for the second time this season, this time in the Coppa Italia, and should be looking for revenge for the 3-1 defeat we inflicted upon them. Yet maybe there's apprehension, as we could do the same again. Dobek and Orellana are fit to resume, so Gulessarian and Tobros drop out, and Makela is chosen ahead of Vieri. Moroni plays for the injured Zicu.

Varese 3

Makela 27, 45

Dobek 63

Parma 1

Jankulovski 17

We repeated the trick of beating Parma 3-1, and set ourselves up well for the second leg. Parma were the superiot team for the opening twenty minutes, as Mutu and Adriano caused problems. They scored the goal their play was worth when Marek Jankulovski sent a fizzing shot past Stekelenburg. Parma then chose to sit back and were content with their lot. So it was then we had to act, and score a goal. Juho Makela scored that goal. A goalmouth scramble saw the ball fall to the Finnish international, and Makela drove past Frey to level it up. The scoreline looked set to be 1-1 at the break, but nobdoy had reckoned upon a defensive howler from Aimo Diana. A long ball down the right side from Moroni looked harmless, as Diana was ready to shield it back to his keeper. Makela was the player who thought quickest. He darted it and hammered the ball past the dithering Frey. Parma were clearly worried and came at us with another wave of attacks in the second half, but we held out well, especially from Espinal's piledriver that Stekelenburg tipped wide. The all important third goal came from Man of the Match Mateusz Dobek. Alexiou held the play up well, before giving Dobek a lofted ball to volley in a peach of a strike. That was it. We won again. icon_smile.gif And we're back into some good form.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Moroni, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, Makela, Alexiou

Tonight's televised match is the biggest we've ever had. Inter Milan in the Giuseppe Meazza. They've won the last four Scudettos and are almost invinsible, having lost once in thirty outings. It's ominous, but we have Asencio back to make our strongest lineup.

Inter 1

Montervino 62

Varese 0

We fought so well, battled bravely, played brilliantly but didn't get the luck. Inter certainly deserved to win, but we didn't make it easy for them. Maarten Stekelenburg was simply unbeatable in the first half, as Rossini, Raul, Crespo and co. threw their lot at him, and then some. We looked good on the break, and Santos forced a neat stop out of Benassi. But to be level at the break was a huge bonus, and then to make the hour mark was even more impressive. But then Inter found a way through icon_frown.gif . A cross from the right found the head of Francesco Montervino, who beat Stekelenburg. Daniel Orellana was still proving a giant in defence, and Christian Vieri came on to try and grab an equaliser against his former employers. But it never came. Only losing 1-0 to Inter shows how far we've come, and I'm proud of the side after the last 90 minutes.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Asencio, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, Makela (C.Vieri 72), Alexiou

Just for a reflection of the quality we were up against, this was Inter's starting eleven.

Massimiliano Benassi

William Gallas

Dede

Fabio Cannavaro

Igor Tudor

Juan Seba Veron

Victor

Francesco Montervino

Mattia Rossini

Hernan Crespo

Raul ©

Almost invinsible, although as we proved tonight, they can be pushed to the edge.

• Administrators

It gets no easier, as Lazio are the next team to come to our humble abode. No changes are necessary for the visit of Mancini's men.

Varese 1

Makela 31

Lazio 2

Grandoni 37

S.Inzaghi 55

Two defeats in a row, but the quality of opposition should be taken into account when looking at that. It was surprisingly ourselves who controlled the early play, and were rewarded on 31 minutes with Juho Makela's 8th goal of the season, a spinning volley. We needed to hold the lead for longer than the six minutes we managed, because once Alessandro Grandoni crashed in a levelling header we were under the cosh. Simone Inzaghi snatched what turned out to be the winner with another header. Kevo Gulessarian added his weight to the cause late on, but nothing was going in. One of those days you just have to forget about and look forwards.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Asencio, Doukas, Santos, Dobek (Gulessarian 72), Makela, Alexiou

The trip to Parma is interesting. The aggregate score will be the one which matters, but the result is also key to me, as we have to get back to winning ways. Tcherevchenko and Asencio are suspended, so Tobros and Zicu come in, and Vieri and Gulessarian are surprisingly picked ahead of Makela and Dobek - just to keep things fresh.

Parma 2

Marica 16, 65

Varese 1

Alexiou 10

Stekelenburg injured 7

Varese win 4-3 on aggregate

The match started in a bad way. Maarten Stekelenburg has been in wonderous form, but he strained his thigh muscle on a kick out, and needed to be replaced by Sergio Girardi. Stekelenburg is out for a month. icon_frown.gif But we responded to this by scoring the crucial away goal. Zicu's corner was flicked on by Gulessarian and Alexiou mananged to beat Waters. Romanian striker Ciprian Marica zipped in unmarked to level the game for Parma, and then Prandelli's men set about getting level overall. A slight snag in his plan was that we weren't prepared to let that happen. Santos was in his usual mood, very busy, but despite this, and Gulessarian's hard work, we couldn't break down the Gialloblu door again. As Marica put Parma closer on 65 minutes, worry set in, so Makela and Dobek were restored, and we held out to make the next phase. But I'm none too happy with a third straight defeat.

Team: Stekelenburg (Girardi 7), Gorini©, Orellana, Tobros, Franzese, Zicu, Doukas, Santos, Gulessarian (Dobek 80), C.Vieri (Makela 80), Alexiou

For the first time we are present in the Coppa Italia Quarter Final Draw. By chance, we avoid the big guns of Inter, Bologna, Juventus and Roma by meeting Brescia, away in the first leg. It's the best we could have hoped for, and could prove important in our serious Coppa campaign.

Despite Atlanta being one place from the bottom they have an extremely talented side, including the irrepressible Fausto Rossini. Everyone is back - Asencio, Dobek, Makela, Tcherevchenko - for a must win.

Atalanta 3

Rossini 13, 65

Comandini 90

Varese 3

Dobek 19, 85

Santos 76

Harsh but probably fair. Rossini is one dangerous striker. We left him alone on thirteen to head easily past Girardi to put the home team ahead. However, we were not behind for long, as Atalanta let Mateusz Dobek have too much time on the ball, and the Polish star curled home past Costanzo. The first half peetered out into a midfield tussle, but the second half got things going again. Fausto Rossini again headed Atalanta ahead, but we recovered well and Santos ran through to find the net again. Mateusz Dobek caused shock in the Atalanta ranks when he scored his second to look to have secured the win for us. We needed to focus, but we didn't, and Gianni Comandini rifled in the afternoon's sixth goal to deny us a win. If we don't focus, we deserve to lose.

Team: Girardi, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Asencio, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, Makela (C.Vieri 45), Alexiou

• Administrators

It's time to give Christian Vieri a start. The legendary hitman hasn't had many yet, but with our mixed form he gets one today at home versus Piacenza, in the only change from last time.

Varese 2

C.Vieri 48

Alexiou 64

Piacenza 0

Ferronetti sent off 26

We fully deserved the three points which keep us comfortably midtable, and it was, in a turn of fate, Christian Vieri, who was the catalyst behind the win. It took the 35 year old a while to get going, but he got involved and by the final whistle nobody had had more of an impact on proceedings. Referee Guido Marcinkovic sent off Piacenza captain and undeniably quality centre back Damiano Ferronetti for a late, late tackle on Dobek that perhaps, with a more lenient view, was worth a yellow. We weren't moaning, as it gave us an advantage. The attacking sextet of Dobek, Vieri, Alexiou, Santos, Doukas, and Asencio were starting to express themselves, and all six combined on 48 mintes for Vieri to follow in Asencio's saved effort. Christos Alexiou has been in great form, if not scoring the goals. But another one was added to his career tally on 64 minutes, as the Greek turned Daniel Ola inside out before curling left footed past Cassano. icon_smile.gif A nice win to get back to success.

Team: Girardi, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Asencio, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, C.Vieri, Alexiou

Apparently I miscalculated the transfer dates icon_biggrin.gif - I was told Dudu would be arriving within the hour as I pulled up to the stadium this morning icon_redface.gif - off I went to the airport to meet our new striker, and keep things highly interesting up front, as there is real quality there. He might go in the reserves for a week to get games under his belt, as Cruziero haven't exactly used him fully.

We have an injury crisis in goal. Sergio Girardi is unavailable tonight due to a family emergency, so I have to call upon rookie youth team keeper Mario Buratti to don the gloves. The Coppa Italia at Brescia isn't the fieriest of debuts, which may help the lad. Dudu gets a spot on the bench.

Brescia 2

Natali 10

Baggio 30

Varese 2

Santos 44

Alexiou 73

After a shocking opening third of the match we came back well and took two away goals which may prove vital come the return leg at the Franco Ossola. Alessio Natali headed home his second of the season after ten minutes with an attempt Buratti couldn't save. Brescia laid seige to our goal, and doubled the lead through Bruno Baggio's first goal for the Lombards. It would have been more but for the heroics of debutant Buratti. Yet the most important moment came twelve seconds before half time, as Santos sprung on a loose ball and put us very much back in the game. Christian Vieri had an ineffective game, so Dudu came on with 25 minutes left to shake things up. He wasn't directly involved, but the presence distracted attention from Christos Alexiou, who found enough room to beat Castellazi to level the game. In the context of things I'm extremely happy with the draw. icon_smile.gif

Team: Buratti, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Asencio, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, C.Vieri (Dudu 66), Alexiou

We return to these parts at the weekend for the League match here icon_biggrin.gif

• Administrators

Our last game before the Christmas/Winter Break returns us to Brescia, who amazingly name ten different names to the midweek game - with only Dario Dainelli staying in. I however name only one player different - Sergio Girardi can return.

Brescia 1

Seric 47

Varese 2

Alexiou 15

C.Vieri 18

Asencio injured 41

A nice way to end a very successful 2008. After the slow start on Wednesday I wanted a quicker side from the start, and credit to the lads - they gave me it. On the quarter hour mark Christian Vieri curled a lovely cross that invited Alexiou to head in and carry on in a fine vein of form which has seen him net four times in five games. Three minutes later the roles were reversed, as Alexiou this time crossed, and Vieri swooped, showing that even at 35 he is unrivalled in the air. Welsh keeper Craig Rowlands did well to prevent any further goal conceding in the remainder of the game, as we certainly barracked our opponents in the search for more. Brescia themselves had their moments, not least when Anthony Seric managed to half their deficit. But Sergio Girardi was equally efficient, as he helped us on the way to three more points on the road to maintaining Serie A status, which is going pretty well. But the star today was Christos Alexiou - too hot to handle.

Team: Girardi, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Asencio (Zicu 41), Doukas, Santos, Dobek, C.Vieri, Alexiou

Edu Dracena and Claudio Cavalcante arrive today to join our swelling ranks, which are actually looking good now in terms of quality in depth. Straight away I can see that Cavalcante is a talented player at home in midfield. He'll have a job getting in there. icon_biggrin.gif

My first piece of business of 2009 is to seal a deal allowing Sergio Paez to finally leave to Nuovo Trento for a neat and tidy £200,000 - not bad considering he hasn't played for ages. icon_smile.gif

The first action on the field in 2009 is a third consecutive match against Brescia. We hold a 2-2 result from the away leg, meaning two away goals. Claudio Cavalcante and Edu Dracena start their first ever Varese matches, whilst Zicu replaces the suspended Franzese.

Varese 3

Santos 16, 48, 88

C.Vieri injured 31

Brescia 1

Salvatori 20

After all the hype of the two Brazilian debutants, it turned out to be the most reliable Brazilian who won this for us. Carlos Alberto Viera Dos Santos once again was a level above anything Brescia were able to produce or handle. His opener came after a mere sixteen minutes, after Doukas' corner was cleared Santos was first to react and nip the ball past Macelloni. Unfortunately Brescia levelled the game straight away, as with the next meaningful piece of play Ricci's cross was volleyed in by Salvatori. However, it was all Brescia could muster attackingly. But their defending became even more infuriating. Nothing we did could break them. Christian Vieri was forced off injured and should miss three weeks, but Juho Makela played well enough, as he always does. It was the Finn who will claim the assist for Santos' second, as it was he who headed the ball down for Santos to sprint through and finish with amazing coolness. icon_cool.gif He completed another fantastic hat-trick two minutes from time, going through unchallenged from Dobek's creativity to put us ever closer to the Final - we're down to the final four, but the Semi Final stage will be very hard. As for the debutants, neither let us down, and both showed Serie A quality. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Gorini©, Orellana, Edu Dracena, Zicu, Cavalcante, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, C.Vieri (Makela 31), Alexiou

The Coppa Italia Semi Final draw pairs us, Varese, with the winners of the last two seasons Coppa's and six time winners Inter. We have the second leg at home, which may help, but it's very hard. But there's an element there that makes me think we could do it. icon_redface.gif - Roma and Juventus contest the other spot, and we have to travel to Turin at the weekend.

• Administrators

League action is resumed with a huge match at second placed Juventus. Franzese is back, and Cavalcante stays in ahead of Asencio. Dudu starts as a replacement for the injured Vieri.

Juventus 2

Beasley 59

Trezeguet 90

Varese 1

Alexiou 20

Orellana injured 14

Doukas injured 68

I feel so gutted and sick. We lead for so long in the Delli Alpi only to have a reward cruelly snatched at the death. Juve started the game comfortably, so we decided to get stuck in and force them onto the back foot. The shock of all shocks arrived on 20 minutes as Alexiou was sent in by a lovely switch of the play from Dobek and left Pegolo without a hope. The Juve onslaught followed, but without any fruition, and at the same time we were also looking attackingly good. Dudu put a couple of attempts wide, but we were leading for so long. DaMarcus Beasley finally broke through for the Bianconeri with a stunning free kick, as it certainly took something special to beat Stekelenburg. Even then, we didn't collapse like they expected. Santos came close with a lucky shot that shaved the crossbar. Just as it appeared as if we were to take a well deserved point, Ndiaye and Di Donato played Trezeguet in, and the Frenchman stole all three points for Juve. The cliche that La Vecchia Signora are lucky is still true, because we had deserved at least one point. icon_frown.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana (Tobros 14), Edu Dracena, Franzese, Cavalcante, Doukas (Asencio 68), Santos, Dobek, Dudu, Alexiou

Doukas is out for a month, Orellana for a shorter period of ten days.

Despite the defeat, we're comfortable in our mid table security. icon_smile.gif

Italian Serie A - Sunday 11th January 2009

2008/9 Table

1st Milan 16 6 1 0 16 3 6 3 0 19 9 40

2nd Juventus 15 6 1 2 12 4 5 1 0 12 5 35

3rd Salernitana 15 6 2 1 22 13 2 2 2 7 6 28

4th Bologna 15 5 1 0 14 3 3 3 3 9 10 28

5th Inter 15 3 3 2 11 8 5 1 1 11 4 28

6th Lazio 16 5 1 2 13 5 3 3 2 9 9 28

7th Roma 15 4 3 0 8 2 4 0 4 9 7 27

8th Udinese 16 5 1 1 8 4 2 3 4 13 16 25

9th Parma 16 4 0 3 9 4 4 0 5 8 12 24

10th Lecce 17 3 3 2 13 11 3 2 4 10 10 23

11th VARESE 15 4 0 3 14 11 2 2 4 11 13 20

12th Napoli 15 4 1 4 13 9 0 1 5 8 17 14

13th Fiorentina 17 2 2 5 5 10 1 2 5 3 11 13

14th Piacenza 14 4 0 3 9 8 0 1 6 3 20 13

15th Atalanta 15 2 5 1 13 11 0 1 6 3 15 12

16th Chievo 17 0 3 5 5 14 2 3 4 6 13 12

17th Brescia 15 1 1 7 8 18 2 0 4 3 9 10

18th Venezia 14 2 1 3 10 9 0 1 7 3 17 8

</pre>

• Administrators

We're slap bang in the middle of our toughest run. Four consecutive away games at very tough opposition. But our performance at Juve gives us hope for the trip to equally tough Bologna, where we won in the Coppa Italia last season. Tcherevchenko is in for Orellana, and Asencio replaces the injured Doukas.

Bologna 3

Ligkos 15, 83

Giandomenico 44

Varese 2

Dudu 39

Santos 78

For the second straight game we had a point snatched away from us late in the game. icon_frown.gif Bologna started brightly, and drew first blood on the quarter hour mark through prolific Greek striker Manolis Ligkos. The Rossoblu poured onwards, and but for Stekelenburg Ligkos could well have had a half hour hat-trick. But with only our second attack we drew level. Mateusz Santos supplied the cross from the right, and Dudu found a headed connection to open his Varese account. Unfortunately we were unable to hold on to half time, because Luigi Giandomenico scored a spectacular, if unorthodox, volley to send Guidolin's side in ahead. The second half was a balanced affair, as Pizarro was dangerous for the hosts, whilst we proved potent through Alexiou, Cavalcante, Dudu and Santos. It was the latter who stole in unmarked for our second equaliser. icon_smile.gif Yet Ligkos put a dagger through our hearts with his thirteenth of the season on 83 to steal a win. The agony continued as Dobek struck the crossbar and Abbondanzieri was forced into three fantastic stoppage time saves to keep the points at the Dall'Ara.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Tcherevchenko, Edu Dracena, Franzese, Cavalcante, Asencio, Santos, Dobek, Dudu, Alexiou

Salernitana are a dangerous attacking side, and we'll have our hands full with Zeman's side today. Makela replaces Dudu, and Sbrizzo replaces Tcherevchenko.

Salernitana 3

De Crescenzo 2

Wysocki 7

Woodthorpe 90

Varese 0

We're just sliding performance wise, although we still hold that 11th place. Salernitana never let up in their seemingly endless onslaught towards our goal. Just two minutes into the match Paolo De Crescenzo drilled Zdenek Zeman's young side ahead, shortly followed by Marcin Wysocki's eleventh of the season. We ultimately never had a look in, and as such never looked hopeful of taking anything. In all eventualities, North Korean Chui-Soo Woodthorpe slammed in the third in injury time after previously having one ruled out, and we deserved to lose. We still have an extremely hard run of matches to come, starting with out Cup semi. Changes may be needed icon_frown.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Edu Dracena, Franzese, Cavalcante, Asencio, Santos, Dobek, Makela (Dudu 84), Alexiou

• Administrators

Inter away in the Coppa Italia Semi Final first leg. Orellana is fit to resume, and in a shock team change, Stephen McPhee is started ahead of Juho Makela.

Inter 2

Colombini 57

Cordoba 88

Varese 0

1-0 would have been a decent result, but 2-0 makes the second leg that much harder. Cuper played something of a backup side, but that didn't mean it was weaker. That said, we dominated the game, but Sebastien Frey had an inspired game in goal, as he kept out everything we threw at him. Stephen McPhee had a good game, as he was the more lively of the attackers. Seventeen year old Roberto Colombini scored a thirty yard cracker for his first career goal to divide the sides, but we looked like we had hold of a 1-0 defeat which would have been acceptable going into the second leg. However, at the end we fell asleep and Ivan Cordoba headed a second goal to make the second leg a much harder prospect. Four straight defeats is hardly ideal either.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Edu Dracena, Franzese, Cavalcante, Asencio, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

Despite our abysmal record against Fiorentina, we'll never have a greater chance to beat them than this afternoon. They're struggling, as they always do in Serie A, and we played pretty well in Milan on Wednesday, which is why we go in unchanged.

Varese 3

McPhee 6

Franzese 32 pen

Santos 61

Fiorentina 0

After years of frustration, we finally beat I Viola and gain a miniscule part of revenge for their pipping us to the Serie B title. There was only one side in it, as the 21 shots to 2 and 60% posession shows. It took just six minutes to open the scoring, as Fiorentina allowed Stephen McPhee too much time and space, and the Scot scored his first goal for Varese. Everyone found their niche today, none moreso than Claudio Cavalcante. The rookie Brazilian had his finest game for the club, as he gave a masterclass in midfield play. His passing and vision were spot on, and his attacking was superb. The second goal came from the penalty spot after a foul was committed on Christos Alexiou. Roberto Franzese found the net for the first time this season. The pressure never let up, and only David Dei kept us from racking up a cricket score. Only one more was to be added, and that came from Santos, with the Brazilian scoring for the fifteenth time this campaign, and move him to within six of Gabi Batistuta's record 45 club league goals. It was emphatic, and it's nice to break the losing jinx against them, but also our recent run of form. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Edu Dracena, Franzese, Cavalcante, Asencio, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

• Administrators

Things may be getting back to the good times as we face the visit of Napoli. Despite his goal last time out, Stephen McPhee must make way for Christian Vieri, as he needs games under his belt to get us going in the important upcoming matches. Zicu is in for the suspended Franzese.

Varese 3

Orellana 4

McPhee 71

Asencio 88

Napoli 1

Robson Ponte 28

We may have left it late, but we did deserve this win. Daniel Orellana rose highest to start things off with his first EVER career goal icon_biggrin.gif . Napoli's frontline of Recoba, Ljungberg, Ponte and Stellone started to wake up, and it showed as Robson Ponte hooked home an equaliser with the run of play in the Neapolitans favour. But they were happy to sit back and defend the point they came for. It was working. Christian Vieri and Carlos Viera Dos Santos were so threatening, but nothing was happening. When it was, Federico Agliardi was on hand to stop anything. I decided a tactical switch was needed. Dobek dropped back into midfield, and McPhee joined Vieri and Alexiou up front. Within two minutes we were back ahead. Dobek clipped over a cross, Vieri headed it towards goal, but it was saved. Stephen McPhee scored with the rebound for a goal with his first touch. It was beautiful to see the switch work perfectly. icon_cool.gif Pablo Asencio rounded off a wonderful day with a stunning long range drive into the top corner to ease any immediate relegation fears, and amazingly put us within five points of a UEFA Cup spot icon_biggrin.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Edu Dracena, Zicu (McPhee 69), Cavalcante, Asencio, Santos, Dobek, C.Vieri, Alexiou

February kicks off with a trip to league leaders Milan. We're up against an absolute star line up, with Milan possessing the strongest club squad in Europe. Therefore there's no pressure on us, but we do need to show our true selves, and not be overawed. Franzese returns for Zicu, Tcherevchenko deputises for Edu Dracena, and McPhee starts ahead of suspended Asencio.

Milan 3

Pirlo 20

Shevchenko 23

Ambrosini 25

Varese 1

Franzese 56 pen

C.Vieri injured 35

Three goals in five minutes wiped us out today, and Vieri's injury means he is sidelined for a month, severely hurting our hopes of winning the Coppa Italia. After twenty minutes of dominance, Joe Cole found a way through our back three and Andrea Pirlo tidied things up. Three minutes later Shevchenko was the most lively following a scramble to turn in past Stekelenburg, who was out of position. Massimo Ambrosini completed the five minute blitz, as Milan were happy to hold an unassailable 3-0 lead. In all truth, we never looked likely to beak their defence, although we had a lot of the play. Roberto Franzese's second penalty in three games was sole consolation in a game I never truly expected to win, but I'm still sad at losing.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Cavalcante, Dobek, Santos, McPhee, C.Vieri (Makela 35), Alexiou

So here we are, the Coppa Italia Semi Second Leg. We need an early goal against a very strong Inter side to give ourselves the best chance of overturning a 2-0 deficit. Makela leads the line, as Asencio also returns.

Varese 1

Dobek 4

Inter 0

It's the end of the Cup run, but I am very proud we were able to pull off a dominant victory against arguably the best side in Italy. After just four minutes Mateusz Dobek connected with a cross to head us in front at the all important early stages. That set us up for a match of barraging in order to score another. Unfortunately it never materialised. icon_frown.gif Sebastien Frey was again magnificent, as time and again he kept us at bay, none more impressively than a late drive from McPhee that almost broke the keeper in half. Inter did their best to kill the game and waste time, clearly worried at the prospect of an upset. So we're out, but with Juve playing Inter in the Final, there's the outside chance we could take the UEFA Cup spot if both make the Champions League. I'm proud, if disappointed at elimination

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Cavalcante, Asencio, Santos, Dobek, Makela (McPhee 72), Alexiou

• Administrators

Quite why I am so confident going into this afternoon's clash with Roma is strange. The Giallorossi are one of the country's best sides, and on their day will beat anyone. But we drew in their back yard, and with McPhee restored ahead of Makela, i go into this quietly confident.

Varese 3

Cavalcante 28

McPhee 31

Santos 57

Roma 3

Emerson 17

Luizao 22

Liverani 25

Samuel sent off 27

After an appalling start we showed fabulous desire and drive to make a point that looked so unlikely. Roma showed they are no pushovers early on as Emerson had a sighter. The veteran of over 100 caps for Brazil found his range on seventeen as he put Capello's men ahead. Another Brazilian, Luizao, towered highest to put them 2-0 ahead shortly after, and Liverani also headed past Stekelenburg to put Roma 3-0 up and in the clear. But then Walter Samuel was dismissed for two yellow cards, and the free kick that came from the second was wonderfully flighted home by Claudio Cavalcante for his first Varese goal. Three minutes later and Stephen McPhee teed a volley up and rifled past Pelizzoli to reduce the deficit more. But Roma sensed the problem and reshuffled, making further breakthrough harder. Santos finally levelled the scores shy of the hour by making it 16 goals in 28 games. icon_smile.gif Despite the draw, we drop back down one place to eleventh, but after the shocking start a 3-3 draw is a point made rather than two lost.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Cavalcante, Asencio, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

Chievo are bottom of the table, and as such I'd expect a win, a win that would be very handy at this particular time. Doukas is finally sit to resume, as he does ahead of Asencio. Edu Dracena also plays, with Tcherevchenko rested.

Varese 4

Cavalcante 37

McPhee 48, 66

Alexiou 53

Stekelenburg injured 88

Chievo 0

Our play deserved a 4-0 scoreline, but Chievo's battling didn't deserve a 4-0 defeat. The flying donkeys made it very hard, but our attacking force shone through. After a half of digging in without really getting anywhere, Claudio Cavalcante hit a snapshot right past Lupatelli. The Brazilian was subject of mass praise in midweek, and showed why on 37 minutes. The second half was different. Chievo's resolve went out the window, and they collapsed. Stephen McPhee carried on his great run with another two goals, sandwiched by Alexiou's ninth of the season. McPhee's first was from Doukas' through ball, and the Scottish international beat Lupatelli to make it two. Alexiou was the recipient of Dobek and McPhee's build up for 3-0, and McPhee hit his fifth of the season with a header from another Doukas assist. He would have had a hat-trick of assists had Santos' header not been ruled out, but it's another good result, keeping us comfortable. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg (Girardi 88), Gorini©, Orellana, Edu Dracena, Franzese, Cavalcante, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

Analysis of Maarten Stekelenburg's injury shows he has damaged ligaments in his ankle, and will miss one month of games.

Going OK.

Still a chance of Varese in Europe icon_smile.gif

How are Torino doing in Serie B?

There must be a chance of that job coming up if they have another poor season.

Good luck

• Administrators

Our trip to Parma is televised across the country, as a win for us would close the gap between ourselves and Parma in seventh. Girardi replaces the injured Stekelenburg in the only change.

Parma 2

Tisci 26

Adriano 72

Varese 1

McPhee 37

At least I know Sergio Girardi is a capable cover for Stekelenburg. Parma were rampant. They had endless shots on goal, but thankfully we kept it to a respectable two. 33 year old Ivan Tisci scored his first of the season by sidefooting a rebound into the top corner to give Prandelli's side a lead. We levelled from the right foot of Stephen McPhee, who scored his sixth in seven games after chesting a cross down before slamming past Waters. Di Michele was the most dangerous opponent, yet we were able to keep him at bay. But we couldn't keep Adriano out, because the Brazilian scored his sixth of the season to take the points. icon_frown.gif

Team: Girardi, Gorini©, Orellana, Edu Dracena, Franzese, Cavalcante, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

The run of tougher games continues with the visit of Bologna, possessing Ronaldinho, Pizarro, Tonetto and Colucci. We make one change - Tobros in for the injury stricken Orellana.

Varese 5

McPhee 3

Alexiou 25

Dobek 32

Santos 49

Franzese 88 pen

Bologna 6

Tonetto 8

Cipriani 17, 36

Colucci 43, 54

Pizarro 84

Abbondanzieri sent off 88

Where do I start? icon_biggrin.gif We took a very early lead, and unsurprisingly through Stephen McPhee. Bologna equalised from Max Tonetto five minutes later, then went ahead on 17 through Cipriani's late header. Christos Alexiou's tenth of the season levelled the game back up, and then Mateusz Dobek headed us ahead on 32. But Giacomo Cipriani swivelled and drove past Girardi to balance things out again, and then Giuseppe Colucci scored a cracker before half time to put Guidolin's side ahead 4-3 at the half time whistle. Carlos Alberto Viera Dos Santos made it 4-4 with a fine run and chip over Abbondanzieri, but again we went behind through another from Colucci, as the Italian international found space in our defence. The goals then dried up a little, until Claudio Pizarro secured the win by making it 6-4 six minutes from time. Roberto Franzese made it 6-5 from the spot, but we were only just unable to make it 6-6 in the remaining time. Losing by the odd goal in eleven is strange, and believe me, whilst I'm happy at scoring five against a good side, I really get angry at conceding six icon_mad.gif .

Team: Girardi, Gorini©, Tobros, Edu Dracena, Franzese, Cavalcante, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

The match sets a new high scoring record in Serie A, beating the 5-4 match between Lecce and.....Bologna icon_biggrin.gif

• Administrators

I really hope that we are able to beat Venezia. They're stuck solid in the relegation places, and although they're at home we should have enough to come through smelling of roses.

Venezia 2

Garcia 2

Rocco 9

Varese 4

Cavalcante 41

Alexiou 44, 74

Santos 68

This game sums up so many of our games. A poor start followed by a decent recovery, and then sheer class shining through. Early goals from Rafael Garcia and Claudio Rocco gave Venezia a shock 2-0 advantage, and we actually looked asleep. Nothing was coming of our play, as Venezia were very effective in cutting off any service to the front four. So we, or rather Claudio Cavalcante, decided to go alone, miss out the front four, and beat Cristian Rocca with a nice shot from fifteen yards. That sparked the recovery. One goal before half time was good, a second and thus an equaliser was a huge turning point. Christos Alexiou is fast becoming a superstar here, as he was on the end of a move created by Santos and Dobek. Venezia were obviously shattered at not holding on, and as such the second half belonged to us. Santos put us ahead by meeting Doukas' cross later than anyone else and nearly breaking the net. Alexiou found the net for the ninth time in Serie A and 12th overall with the final goal, and it's these wins that will keep us in the top flight.

Team: Girardi, Gorini©, Tobros, Edu Dracena, Franzese, Cavalcante, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

Australian centre back Greg Lewis signed for the club today on a Bosman Free after his contract at Perth Glory had expired, allowing me to complete the deal quicker than I hoped. icon_smile.gif He's comfortable in the air and on the ground, and has nine Australian caps. He'll certainly bolster a leaky defence.

Greg Lewis is straight into the side for Niko Tobros as Daniel Orellana is still unfit. Christian Vieri is fit, but misses out as McPhee is in great form. Lecce are directly above us, and a win could see us move to a season's highest 8th icon_smile.gif

Varese 3

McPhee 16, 45

Alexiou 47

Lecce 1

Brescia 85

Fumagalli sent off 48

Stephen McPhee may be the most in form striker in Europe right now. His fantastic form has propelled our form around, and defenders can't contain him. On sixteen minutes Santos flicked on a long ball, and the loose ball was picked up by McPhee before he stylishly beat Abbiati. Lecce are however a very good side - they're in the last eight of the Champions League. As such, I expected them to come back and score. But maybe they have their eyes on a clash with Liverpool coming soon, because there was little fight from Delio Rossi's side. On the stroke of half time Dobek won a free kick, which McPhee sent past Abbiati before the ex-Milan keeper had a chance to say 'wow' icon_biggrin.gif . Christos Alexiou crippled Lecce's defensive resolve with a cleanly struck half volley to make it 3-0, and secure the win. I was looking for a clean sheet, and we nearly got it, but Gianluca Brescia scored a consolation to put one dark spot on our day. But with Salernitana's shock home defeat, we're up to eighth place icon_cool.gif

Team: Girardi, Gorini©, Lewis, Edu Dracena, Franzese, Cavalcante, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

• Administrators

Hector Cuper has selected his big names for the visit of Inter this afternoon. That means that we are going to have an extremely hard afternoon against one of the world's best sides.

Varese 0

Inter 2

Raul 12

Veron 32

We never had a look in. Inter's defence is so well marshalled by Javier Zanetti that we never ever had a chance to get to test Frey. We also needed to hold onto a 0-0 for longer than twelve minutes, but Raul's header broke any chance of that. Another header, from Juan Sebastian Veron, consigned us to our thirteenth defeat in 27 league games, but despite that. we're two games away from being mathematically safe, and considering there are seven games left, I take that as a positive. This game was poor to watch - not much other than the goals happened - and I'm depressed at the lack of effort we had (bar Orellana and McPhee, who were tireless).

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Lewis, Franzese (C.Vieri 45), Cavalcante, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

April Fools Day. We had better not be made to look fools by Udinese as we travel to the Friuli. One change - Franzese is suspended, so Asencio covers.

Udinese 3

Marianini 4

Pinga 45

Rota 57

Varese 5

Alexiou 2

Santos 7, 37

Dobek 32, 44

I'm not sure I've figured out what happened today. The start was fast and frantic, but before I knew what went on we were 5-1 up icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif . An early lead is always a good sign that we're up for the match, and Alexiou finished a fantastic slick passing move to silence the 25000 in the Friuli. Francesco Marianini scored an eighreen yard piledriver just two minutes later, but by seven minutes we were back ahead, as Santos, despite stumbling, managed to beat De Sanctis. And then my lads just turned on the skill and turned up the heat. Mateusz Dobek scored a carbon copy of Santos' goal to make it three, and after De Sanctis failed to hold McPhee's shot, Santos was on hand to score his 20th of the season. Then Dobek scored a diving header from Santos' cross, and we were 5-1 up icon_biggrin.gif . Pinga made that 2-5 on the half time whistle by passing into an empty net. Orazio Rota scored a lucky third for Udinese as his long cross evaded everyone before landing in the far corner of the net. But quite amazingly, we came away with a 5-3 win! Having been under pressure for a lot of the game, it's a great scoreline.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Lewis, Asencio, Cavalcante, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

• Administrators

After the trip to Lazio we have five games left, and bar Juventus we could win them all. Which is why beating Lazio is imperative to continue any feint hopes of maiking an unlikely UEFA Cup spot. Greg Lewis is away with Australia, so Edu Dracena returns.

Lazio 3

Stankovic 7

Inzaghi 12

Corradi 41

Varese 2

Doukas 37

Cavalcante 48

If we had started better we may have taken something, but as Lazio romped away early on we really couldn't have won, but we did pretty well to recover as we did. Dejan Stankovic bundled in after three attempts saved by Stekelenburg from various Biancocelesti players, and then five minutes later Simone Inzaghi launched a header past the Dutch keeper. The 2-0 lead was cut by a goal as Stilianos Doukas tricked his way to the edge of the area before chipping Kapantsov. If we could have gone in 2-1 down instead of 3-1 then a point may well have been ours. However, Bernardo Corradi volleyed in his fifth of the season to give Mancini's side a stronger lead. Claudio Cavalcante scored with a bullet of a shot to reduce the arrears, but we couldnt find the last one. We are twelve points from sixth place, which could rise to fifteen tomorrow.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Edu Dracena, Asencio, Cavalcante, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

This afternoon's match against Atalanta was in serious doubt due to the abysmal weather. It hasn't stopped raining for twenty hours, and as such the pitch, despite looking playable, will hold up and make passing hard. Asencio stays in ahead of Franzese, Lewis returns, and Vieri is in for the out of form McPhee - just to get the Scot thinking.

Varese 4

Asencio 23

Alexiou 27, 62

McPhee 84

Doukas injured 62

Atalanta 1

Ventola 70

As the rain lashed down, we rained in on Atalanta's goal in a downpour of goals. Christos Alexiou is having a wonderful season, and was brilliant today. It took until halfway through the first half before we opened the scoring, and it was Pablo Asencio who repayed my belief in the Argentinian by slamming past La Notte from twenty-two yards. It's been hard for him with the emergence of Cavalcante, but he's still progressing nicely. Four minutes later Alexiou picked up a loose ball and scored at the near post with a powerful shot. The lead meant we could relax a little, and play what football we could on the deteriorating pitch. Shortly after the hour, the only decent passing move of the game cut Atalanta's defence to pieces and Alexiou was on hand to sidefoot a simple goal, taking him to sixteen for the season. The 3-0 lead allowed me to take off the injured Doukas, and bring on McPhee, dropping Dobek to midfield. It had an adverse effect, as Atalanta started attacking and rescued a goal from Nicola Ventola. Santi came on to balance things up, and then McPhee got his goal. He beat one man before beating La Notte from an impossible angle to reach double figures for his campaign. Impressive again, as we continue to be, amazingly, Serie A's top scorers. icon_biggrin.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Lewis, Asencio, Cavalcante, Doukas (McPhee 62), Santos, Dobek, C. Vieri (Santi 79), Alexiou

Piacenza are almost relegated. They are one place from the bottom of Serie A, have been in the relegation zone all season, and have gone on a run of fifteen without a win. Add this to a 5-0 defeat to Roma last week and 4-0 to Milan previous to that, and we really should win. Franzese replaces the injured Doukas, and McPhee is rightfully restored.

Piacenza 0

Ola sent off 57

Varese 6

Santos 29

McPhee 34, 55

Cavalcante 42

Dobek 47

Franzese 58 pen

An absolute rout icon_cool.gif . Our biggest win for six years (congrats to those who remember my 6-0 drubbing of Sangiovannese back in Serie C1A icon_biggrin.gif ) and frankly it could have been twelve or thirteen. Even more surprising was that it took 29 minutes to break through, but when we did it was Santos who was onto the ball in a flash before beating the hapless Ricardo Patti. That was the signal for the floodgates to open, and just five minutes later McPhee found a small space to turn and unleash a stunning left foot strike. Just thirty seconds later the Scot was in again, with a delightful lob following a breathtaking move. But he was offside icon_frown.gif . No worries, as a 42nd minute corner was emphatically headed in by Claudio Cavalcante. Another header followed after half time, as Dobek was left free at the back post to score an eleventh of the season. McPhee was soon in again, with another shot that was pure goalscoring - nobody would have stopped it. Daniel Ola was then sent off for a foul as the last man chasing Alexiou, and Franzese tidied up. Dobek had a few more stopped, but it was so easy, but that isn't to detract from the quality we exhibited.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Lewis, Asencio, Cavalcante, Franzese, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

The game saw a new record set. With the six, we moved to 71 goals for the season, which is a modern day record, eclipsing the 69 scored by the Milan of the early 00's. icon_cool.gif - and there's still three games left. icon_biggrin.gif

• Administrators

more from Northern Italy....

Brescia arrive for the penultimate penultimate game of the season. No changes made after the emphatic 6-0 win. icon_smile.gif

Varese 3

Alexiou 14

Cavalcante 22

Orellana 83

Brescia 2

Spinesi 35

Salvatori 60

The result means we stay in 8th place. Our form players shone again today, in particular the first half . On forteen minutes Christos Alexiou capped off a wonderful move to make it seventeen for the season. Another flowing move was finished by the flourishing Claudio Cavalcante. The young Brazilian is a star waiting to blossom, and he is coming into his own now, with his third goal in four games, a sumptuous finish leaving Macelloni floundering. Unfortunately, we sat back after going 2-0 up, and allowed Brescia to desperately rescue what they could in vain hope of getting something to avoid relegation. Gionatha Spinesi hooked past an uncertain Stekelenburg to make it 2-1, but there was little else. Until progressive striker Donato Salvatori scored another goal to add to his impressive collection to upset the balance and make it 2-2. But Daniel Orellana saved the day. Where the strikers failed, the Argentinian defender scored with a three yard tap in from a corner.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Lewis, Asencio, Cavalcante, Franzese, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

Pablo Asencio is suspended on the final away game of the season, in Naples, so Stilianos Doukas' return to fitness is a benefit. The San Paolo stadium is bathed in scorching heat as we look to beat Napoli and make sure of eighth place.

Napoli 0

Varese 3

Doukas 44

Alexiou 58

McPhee 68

There was never any doubt today. Napoli were more concerned with sunbathing than winning, and it showed. Not only did we score three, but also had three disallowed icon_eek.gif . The first of these came ninety seconds into the game, as McPhee strolled in to beat Agliardi - but was seen to be offside. Alvaro Recoba went down the other end and struck the post. On 19 minutes McPhee put Santos in for a header, but the Brazilian had his effort ruled out for offside. He was furious - the goal would have made him our top scorer ever, and he was booked for his protests. Seconds before half time Santos flicked on a long ball and Doukas was on hand to nudge into the goal, and this one stood. icon_smile.gif Into the second half, and two minutes after the restart Alexiou was the next one to have a goal chalked off, as he ran too early onto Franzese's ball. It was the only real correct decision of the three. Needless to say I wasn't happy, but the smile returned to my face as Dobek found Alexiou, and a delightful shimmy gave him another goal for his sixth in eight and equalling his 18 of Serie B - and twelve assists again (albeit in more games) icon_cool.gif . Doukas' cross arrived perfectly for McPhee to boost his total again, and finally win the match. The win means we are certain to finish 8th - a fantastic season, with Juventus the last game at the Franco Ossola.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Orellana, Lewis, Doukas, Cavalcante, Franzese, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

• Administrators

Last game of the season, and once again the fans deserve a wonderful last day in the sun. Juventus can't win Serie A, as Milan clinched it already, and I want to prove our performance in the Delli Alpi wasn't luck. Edu Dracena covers the suspended Orellana.

Varese 3

Santos 15

Alexiou 45, 56

Juventus 0

The capacity crowd had a wonderful day, as we finished the season with five straight wins, none more gratifying than beating a strong Juventus side. The fiftteenth minute saw a piece of history. Carlos Alberto Viera Dos Santos scored a header which takes him to 46 league goals - eclipsing the record of 45 set by Gabi Batistuta, and as he is a midfielder that is special. On the stroke of half time Franzese, Dobek, and Santos linked to provide Alexiou with a simple chance to double the lead. Ten minutes into the start of the second Alexiou drilled his 20th of the season from eighteen yards off the crossbar to secure an absolutely magical final day. We may have only finished eighth, but considering we were favourites to go down, and the other three sides who came up with us all went back down says wonders for our achievements this season. I send the team out to complete a lap of honour (I am forced to join in icon_biggrin.gif ) to honour the fans, and have the fans honour a great bunch of players, who will soon have the experience to take Italy by storm. Great stuff icon_biggrin.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini©, Edu Dracena, Lewis, Doukas, Cavalcante, Franzese, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

The Final Table makes great reading:

Italian Serie A - Sunday 10th May 2009

2008/9 Table

1st C Milan 34 15 1 1 36 7 9 4 4 29 18 77

2nd Roma 34 12 3 2 29 4 9 4 4 22 12 70

3rd Parma 34 12 2 3 24 6 8 4 5 16 15 66

4th Juventus 34 9 6 2 18 5 10 2 5 24 15 65

5th Bologna 34 13 2 2 40 12 6 5 6 28 27 64

6th Inter 34 8 5 4 24 13 10 3 4 26 11 62

7th Lazio 34 10 4 3 23 12 7 7 3 16 10 62

8th VARESE 34 11 1 5 45 27 6 2 9 35 32 54

9th Lecce 34 7 7 3 24 17 4 4 9 13 23 44

10th Napoli 34 9 3 5 27 19 3 4 10 17 31 43

11th Salernitana 34 8 3 6 30 23 2 6 9 13 26 39

12th Udinese 34 7 5 5 21 27 2 4 11 17 30 36

13th Atalanta 34 6 5 6 25 24 3 2 12 13 31 34

14th Venezia 34 7 5 5 24 16 1 3 13 7 28 32

15th R Fiorentina 34 4 6 7 13 16 2 4 11 6 23 28

16th R Brescia 34 5 2 10 15 25 3 2 12 13 35 28

17th R Piacenza 34 5 4 8 16 31 0 4 13 8 43 23

18th R Chievo 34 2 5 10 12 30 2 5 10 11 36 22

</pre>

• Administrators

Season Review time again icon_smile.gif

Last July we were everyone's favourites to go straight back to Serie B. Despite the media recognising we had quality in the squad, they saw our inexperience at this level as a major hinderance. I hope they're eating humble pie now icon_smile.gif . Two of the sides who came up with us - Fiorentina and Chievo - went back where they came from, and we finished a magnificent 8th. To become the 8th best side in Serie A takes a lot of hard work, and everyone here deserves huge congratulations and all the plaudits thrown at them. Our debut season in Serie A was unforgettable - there are so many memories - big trips to Milan, Rome, Turin and beyond - and not disgracing ourselves. A Coppa Italia run was halted at the Semi Finals - next year we really could win that. We set a new record for goalscoring in Serie A, and we didn't even qualify for Europe! icon_biggrin.gif

Despite the goals, we finished in eighth as a result of the defence. That said, I'm happy with everyone in the defensive roles this season. Maarten Stekelenburg and Sergio Girardi were both more than adequate when needed, and both kept us in certain games with fantastic performances. At left centre back, Daniel Orellana is progressing perfectly. He is as consistent as anyone, and I can see the boy being a big name in world football for a long time to come. Orellana was capped for the Argentine Under 21 side this season, and had received much praise. Alongside him, as an ever present, was captain Edoardo Gorini. After years of toiling with Varese, the veteran of over 420 games for the club (his only club) finally reached the big time, just in time too. He's 35 now, and we both agree that this will be his last full season. He'll stay around, but he knows that he was at time the weaker link. As a player/coach, I know he'll play an important role in finding a replacement for the legend amongst the tifosi, and a new Varese captain. Greg Lewis was bought in late on in the season and fulfilled his role nicely, adding some steel to the defence that Edu Dracena and Igor Tcherevchenko were only doing at times.

The midfield saw a few new names this season. The usual suspects of Roberto Franzese, Pablo Asencio, and Raffaele Moroni were no longer guaranteed starts, as two names arrived and made huge waves. Stilianos Doukas is a very talented player who were are lucky to have. He has been highly creative and adds a few goals, but also is integral to the three in partnership. Then we found Claudio Cavalcante. He will be a legend, that is for certain. I thought he may have taken some time to acclimatise, but he grew and grew in his role, and come the last day of the season he had chipped in with a fair total of goals, but more importantly balances the team perfectly. He is the key to success - he does so much I can't express it all here. One of the greatest in the league already. I was really quite happy with the midfield this season.

Attackers. Who needs 'em? icon_biggrin.gif I do, and I'm fortunate to have quality through and through. Carlos Alberto Viera Dos Santos contines to astound me. He continued upon improving, and scored 22 goals from attacking midfield this season - and the header on the last day against Juventus saw him become our all time leading league goalscorer - a lovely moment. icon_smile.gif Mateusz Dobek started with a bang, proving he could handle the big sides. He went quiet in the winter, but came back with a bag at the end, and even became a full Polish international. On the other side of the attack Christos Alexiou earned rave reviews for his striking prowess. He scored 20 goals in all competitions, and created another thirteen. Defences everywhere - even up to the big names - are worried about facing him, and the Greek international is attracting suitors from around Europe. I will not let him go - he is such a good player, and I know what I have. Then in the middle, Juho Makela had a mixed time. He was great in the Cup, but found Serie A a little harder. Christian Vieri was too injured or old to handle a full campaign, and backups such as Gulessarian and Dudu did well in fits and spurts, but not consistently. So I turned to Stephen McPhee. I was a little dubious about the Scot in the first half of the season, as he wasn't exactly setting the world alight. But that all changed when he came in permanently. He scored fifteen goals in little more than eighteen games, and gave the side another dimension - an aggressive man up front who can do it all. He certainly opened my options, and it's no coincidence that his performances saw a turnaround in our form. If he can do this all of next season who knows what's possible.

Where to now? Obviously, our aim is primairly to stay in Serie A. But after such a great debut season we can look forwards. A trophy would be nice, as our cabinet looks somewhat sparce, and it would provide a European route. That's also possible from Serie A itself. If we can get a quality defender and perhaps a proven top level goalscorer to keep the strikers hot (I have tabs on someone) then I really think we can make the next step. The end to this season was awesome, and maybe it's a sign of the future. It's certainly a great time to be at Varese! icon_biggrin.gif

• Administrators

Lets also take our yearly trip around Europe to see the movers and shakers at the end of the footballing calender.

After four seasons, the Inter dominance of Italy has been ended, but Milan still holds the Scudetto crown. Carlo Ancelotti's Rossoneri have the best squad in the world, and it showed as they walked the title, with a seven point margin from Roma. Milan lead from week 14, so it wasn't a surprise when they won the title. Joining Milan and Roma in the Champions League are Parma and Juventus, only slightly ahead of Bologna, and Inter, whose sixth place is their lowest for more than a decade. Fiorentina, Brescia, Piacenza and Chievo are all relegation material, and next season will be replaced by four experienced Serie A sides - Cagliari, Perugia, Bari, and Sampdoria.

Liverpool are by far and away superior in England as they took a third Premiership Title with Man Utd again in second, but looking at a 17 point gap. It is Houllier's defence of Robinson, Hyypia, Anestesiadis, and Sagnol that made the title possible. Sunderland and Millwall pip Portsmouth to the remaining Champions League spots, whilst Pompey are joined by Ipswich in the UEFA Cup. Chelsea and Aston Villa join them through the domestic Cups. Leicester, West Ham, and Crystal Palace make the familiar trip to Division One, and Middlesnbrough, Watford, and Charlton make a similarly familiar trip back up.

Who won the league in Spain? If you said anyone else other than Barcelona, you haven't been paying attention. Van Gaal's warriors won their eighth straight La Liga title, and they show no signs of letting up, with a 20 point margin this time. Saviola, Kluivert, Di Vaio, Buffon, Riquelme, Beckham - unstoppable. Real Madrid are the best of the rest, beating back Betis to take the automatic ECL spot, leaving the Seville side needing to qualify for the final place. At the other end, Athletic Bilbao are relegated for the first time in their history, leaving Real Madrid and Barcelona as the only Spanish sides never to be relegated. The Basques are joined by Zaragoza and Salamanca in relegation, which is about as surprising as Rayo, Las Palmas, and Sevilla in getting promotion.

After eighteen long seasons, Marseille finally found theirn way back to France's summit. Cyril Chapuis' 20th goal of the season away to Troyes was enough to win Alain Perrin's side the title, from Saint Ettiene in second. Lyon pipped Montpellier into third and possibly £10m better off as a result. Lille, Troyes, and Sedan were the sides to go down, with Laval, Nimes, and Toulouse up. And spare a thought for Paris Saint Germain. Once one of the world's biggest, they were this season relegated from the French Second Division. Despite Salas' 23 goals, Thierry Froger's side are going down to the French National, joining the likes of Dunkerque, Tours, Sete, and Dijon.

Finally to Germany who have regained their quota of four Champions League spots. Dortmund take the first of those with their return to the title after two years away. Sammer rebuilt, and took advantage of Cologne's last day defeat to nip in and deny Funkel's side a first title since 1978. Still, they are joined in the Champions League by Stuttgart and FC Bayern. Schalke, Bochum and MGB go down, and going up are Unterhaching, Saarbucken, and Kaiserslautern.

Once again it's the time where Awards are given out icon_smile.gif

FIFA World Player of the Year - Juan Roman Riquleme (Barcelona)

World Footballer of the Year - Juan Roman Riquleme (Barcelona)

Serie A Manager of the Year - Carlo Ancelotti (Milan)

Serie A Player of the Year - Manolis Ligkos (Bologna)

Serie A Young Player of the Year - Christos Alexiou (Varese)

Serie A Defender of the Year - Fabio Rustico (Juventus)

Serie A Goalkeeper of the Year - Maarten Stekelenburg (Varese)

Serie A Top Goalscorer - Manolis Ligkos (Bologna, 27 goals)

Serie A Italian Player of the Year - Simone Inzaghi (Lazio)

Serie A Foreign Player of the Year - Manolis Ligkos (Bologna)

Now to discuss this. Maarten Stekelenburg is suprisingly considered the best keeper in Serie A - a very high honour. icon_smile.gif And four of the side were considered good enough for team of the season. Stekelenburg takes the goalkeeping jersy, and Mateusz Dobek is named in the midfield. Alexiou and Santos are subs.

But above all that, Christos Alexiou is rewarded. He comes second to Manolis Ligkos in the Foreign Player of the Year Award (imagine those two together for Greece!) and was voted the Serie A Young Player of the Year, ahead of Daniel Orellana. In previous years this Award has been the springboard for success, as nearly all winners have gone on to bigger and better things. I have no doubt Alexiou could lead us on the same path. I'm proud of all our winners. icon_cool.gif

• Administrators

cheers Brian/Juan - whichever moniker is yours icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

---------------------

More Awards;

European Footballer of the Year - Marco Di Vaio (Barcelona)

European Goalkeeper of the Year - Gianluigi Buffon (Barcelona)

European Defender of the Year - Wilfried Bouma (Barcelona)

European Midfielder of the Year - Francesco Totti (Roma)

European Striker of the Year - Marco Di Vaio (Barcelona)

At the Awards Evening everyone collects their awards, including Christos Alexiou, who picks up the Fans Player of the Season Award. icon_smile.gif Then Varese GM Fabrizio Cabrini announces that with immediate effect, the club's training facilities are to be improved to include a state-of-the-art youth academy icon_cool.gif . Building for the future.

To my absolute dismay and shock Christos Alexiou asks to leave the club this morning icon_eek.gif - what has changed in such a short space of time? I reject him, saying we are as big as anyone, and we will become the greatest in the country, with him leading the way. He's not happy, but neither am I. Maybe I can persuade him with a new contract. Off I go to sort that one out.

In the afternoon I find out we have been entered into the Intertoto Cup icon_cool.gif - I wondered why we hadn't been approached to enter - we have no choice. So Europe may be on the agenda after all icon_biggrin.gif .

Christos Alexiou decides to sign a new deal icon_smile.gif . I think I know why he wanted to leave - I forgot he was only on £850 a week icon_eek.gif - now he's on something far more appropriate for his talents.

Ins and outs at the club today. Raffale Moroni's move to Chievo fell through as the Donkeys couldn't afford the fee icon_mad.gif Ianis Zicu has left for Reggina though. In have come Francesco Toldo - who may be 37 but is still a decent keeper. Olof Mellberg will shore up the defence, as he is a world class signing who has encaptured the fans imagination. Roberto Javier Mina is an experienced Ecuadorian striker who attracted attention from FC Bayern - so to have him is a real bonus. I'm happy with my latest shopping spree. icon_smile.gif

We are drawn against Lierse in the InterToto Cup Third Round. They've had a fall from grace, and we really should beat this lot.

• Administrators

We arrive in Belgium for the first leg of our Inter Toto Cup match against Lierse. A few players are still not match fit, so the side is a little experimental.

Lierse 0

Varese 0

Lierse are a whole lot better than I gave them credit for. They dictated a lot of the play, but we were pretty solid in defence, and looked OK for a side new to European competition of any level. Francesco Toldo was in particularly top nick, as he impressed in his unofficial debut. Our best attack play came from another debutant, Ecuadorian Roberto Javier Mina was lively and kept Lierse busy. We should have enough to progress at the Franco Ossola.

Team: Toldo, Lewis, Mellberg, Edu Dracena, Franzese, Asencio©, Doukas, Santos, Mina, McPhee, Alexiou

The return leg with Lierse throws up more problems. The middle of July is not the time for peak physical fitness, and as such a majority of the squad are unfit to play a whole match. Which is why my side is nothing like what I hope it to be come Serie A Kickoff in September.

Varese 2

Franzese 22 pen

Dobek 60

Lierse 1

Declerck 66 pen

Much tighter than I'd have hoped, and we could have been embarrasingly eliminated. Yet these hard tests will only stand us in good stead. Early dominance paid off in the twety-second minute because Greg Lewis was unfairly held in the penalty area. Roberto Franzese converted in his usual precise style. However, Lierse were coming forwards with confidence. Davy Cools and Botuly Empoke were causing no end of problems, and Girardi had to be at his best to keep our lead. Mateusz Dobek gave us valuable breathing space on the hour with a fine shot dispatched into the top corner. We weren't comfortable for long, as Lierse were given a spot kick, finished by captain Guy Declerck. Then, from a Ronny Lambert run, Cools headed past Girardi to level the game at 2-2. At least he would have, if Daniel Ospelt hadn't have correctly called an offside. So we scrape through, and just possibly four games from the UEFA Cup. icon_smile.gif

Team: Toldo, Legrottaglie, Mellberg, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Lewis, Martinez, Santos, Mina©, Dobek, Alexiou

In the Semi Finals, we end up with possibly the hardest side left. SC Freiburg have played in the Champions League in the past decade, and are going to prove a very hard opponent. We have the home second leg, which is good. Despite the tough nature, I feel my first choice XI is a match for anyone.

I recieve a call from Napoli, who are offering us a bid of £5m for Daniel Orellana. Since he's an integral part of the side, and also since that is a paltry sum for a player of his qualities, I tell the Neapolitans where to go.

• Administrators

We hardly have a break before the match against Freiburg in Germany, and as a result the side is particularly weakened by players who are unfit. Young 17 year old Mario Tricarico, a product of the youth academy, starts in midfield today, as a sign of the depletion we have in our squad. Even the players starting are not 100% fit.

Freiburg 0

Madsen sent off 21

Varese 0

Not the worst result in the world, although I would have dearly loved to score an away goal. We were under sever pressure for much of the match, as the pairing of Iashvili and Osmanovski proved an ever-present threat. Maarten Stekelenburg was magnificent in keeping out a red barrage of attacks, and prevented us from conceding an unrecoverable deficit. On our attacking side, Doukas had the best of a poor bunch of attempts, as he scuffed an attempt that really should have been taken. Kim Madsen was sent off for the hosts for a foul on Mina, and as the Dane was the last man he had to go. Freiburg really should have had a couple of penalties, but referee Martin Ingvarsson was on our side. It could be said we have the upper hand going into next week's second leg, but anything could happen. We have to hope most of my regular side can play.

Team: Stekelenburg, Gorini, Mellberg©, Edu Dracena, Tricarico, Lewis, Doukas, Santos, Mina (C.Vieri 79, Makela 90), McPhee, Alexiou

Unfortunately, Roberto Javier Mina is out for three months with a torn groin muscle. icon_frown.gif It's a massive blow as he is a potent threat in front of goal, and is quite a fit individual. We'll definitely miss him.

After a few weeks of negotiations, I am proud today to announce the signing of Per Verner Ronning. A Norwegian of 38 Caps, and a former Roma player, Ronning can play almost anywhere across the pitch, mainly at home on defence. Someone with his versatility will be vital to our push for success this season, and I'm delighted to bring him aboard. icon_smile.gif

Freiburg will face a totally different side today than the one they drew with seven days ago in Germany. Bar Claudio Cavalcante, this is possibly the side I'll put out in the League. Per Verner Ronning starts in the midfield engine room for this crucial Intertoto Cup Second Leg.

Varese 4

Franzese 16

McPhee 22, 86

Ronning 75

Freiburg 1

Stajner 11

This evening started badly but finished perfectly. After eleven minutes Jiri Stajner crashed a twenty yard shot past Stekelenburg to score a crucial away goal for Freiburg - which meant we needed at least two. So we went and got two. First off, a fantastic flowing move of intricate passing was finished by Roberto Franzese with such aplomb that you wouldn't have guessed it was only his fifth goal from open play out of the 18 he's scored for Varese. Somone far more accustomed to scoring is Stephen McPhee, and it was the small Scot who gave us the lead six minutes later. Alexiou and Dobek failed to find space, so they gave McPhee the ball. He sold a defender down the river, and finished comfortably. The lads knew we needed a third for that comfortable feeling should Freiburg score again, but it just didn't arrive. Not for the lack of trying however. Everyone was intent on scoring, yet nobody actually did. Yet Freiburg still looked dangerous, as Stajner opened up again to test Stekelenburg. Fifteen minutes from time, we scored that crucial goal. Doukas swung in a dangerous free kick, and Ronning flung himself at the ball, getting there ahead of Renno and scoring a debut goal. icon_smile.gif McPhee capped the win as Doukas sent him through one on one, and the Scottish star does what he does best - scores. An amazing fifth was ruled out for offfside - had it stood people would have talked about it for years to come. Dobek swung the cross into space in the area. As Freiburg pushed up (successfully) Santos broke in. An astounding shake of the hips floored Renno, and the Brazilian picked up an open goal - but it was offside icon_frown.gif . Still, we're two games from the UEFA Cup! icon_biggrin.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Orellana, Mellberg©, Edu Dracena, Franzese, Ronning, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

We can face one of five sides in one of three Finals. The teams joining us are Dundee Utd, Strasbourg, Malmo, Kerkira, and Bremen/Valenciennes. With the exception of perhaps Bremen, we're stronger than everyone there.

As luck would have it, we draw either Werder Bremen or Valenciennes. icon_frown.gif It's do-able, but we'll have to be on top of our game......

or hope for a shock win by the French side icon_biggrin.gif

• Administrators

Bremen finally seal their qualification to face us with a 2-0 win over Valenciennes. It's been delayed as they've also been playing in the Club World Championship - finishing third. That's a measure of the task awaiting us.

We travel to Bremen in great fitness. The fortnight since the win over Freiburg has allowed our squad to get to 100% match fitness. Yet we're still not playing the strongest side - Daniel Orellana is away on Argentine Under-21 duty, and Olof Mellberg is injured. Another point of note before the game - I announce the new Varese club captain. Claudio Cavalcante may be young, and only have played around twenty games for us, but he has showed the perfect attitude and skills to warrant the role. He has the respect of the squad, and has the talents to take him far. He leads us out in Bremen.

Werder Bremen 1

Ochoa 3

Varese 0

A 1-0 defeat is acceptable against a side the calibre of Bremen. An away goal would have been marvellous, but the single goal deficit is reversable back in Italy. We weren't outclassed either. We were just hit early through Mexican international Carlos Ochoa's sliding effort past Toldo. Stephen McPhee had our best attempt, as his volley hit the ground and bounced agonisingly past the far corner, as Stipe Pletikosa could only look on in vain. Werder showed enough to worry us somewhat for the return leg, mainly through veteran Brazilian hitman Guilherme. It took a number of fine saves from Toldo to keep the scoreline down. In evaluation, it was a wholly average performance on our part, but we only dropped one behind, and that is changeable, as we showed against Freiburg. icon_smile.gif

Team: Toldo, Ronning, Lewis, Legrottaglie, Franzese, Cavalcante, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

For the second leg at the Franco Ossola I hand Daniel Orellana the central defensive role. Previously he was on the left of three, but I feel he could blossom here, alongside Lewis and Ronning. It's pretty much the strongest side I can play, as we go in search of a place in the UEFA Cup. Everyone here knows how much it would mean to the club, and they know what it will take.

Varese 2

McPhee 61

Santos 100

Werder Bremen 0

After Extra Time, Varese win 2-1 on aggregate

It was tough - damn tough, but we've made it into the UEFA Cup!!! icon_biggrin.gif Bremen are a real top side, and we proved tonight we can handle and beat them. It was a constant barrage - a quick look at the match stats would tell you we had 22 attempts on goal to Bremen's three. But the Germans were being typically German - frustating, plain, boring and economical. Everything we tried just failed. Christos Alexiou was in a mood where if he didn't score then nobody would. He took every chance he could, and forced Stipe Pletikosa to make some good stops. The goal we badly needed came a minute after the hour had passed. A poor kickout by Pletikosa was snapped up by Stephen McPhee, who sent a rapier of a left foot shot crashing into the roof of the net icon_cool.gif . The next point was to score the goal which would move us ahead on aggregate, whilst being careful not to concede an away goal. In truth, Bremen never wanted to score - they came to preserve what they had. In injury time Claudio Cavalcante nearly endeared himself further to the tifosi as his header hit the crossbar. So into extra time we went, with all the momentum behind us - and the crowd to boot. Ten minutes in, and it was another Brazilian who sent the Varese ultra into raptures as he stole in unmarked to double the lead. icon_smile.gif Bremen were down, we were on top, and we played out the rest of the match to secure Varese's first trophy (hey - it may only be the Intertoto Cup, but our trophy cabinet is a little sparce icon_biggrin.gif ) since winning Serie C1/A back in 2005. It's also only the fourth trophy the club has ever lifted. Claudio Cavalcante accepts the Cup and lifts it infront of a wildly passionate crowd. For the first time in the history of Varese, we're in Europe! - and who knows where that could lead? icon_biggrin.gif

Team: Toldo, Ronning, Orellana, Lewis, Franzese, Cavalcante, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Unfortunately I am unable to be present in Paris for the UEFA Cup first round draw, as I'm finalising preparations for Sunday's Serie A opener against Sampdoria, whilst simultaneously celebrating my birthday icon_biggrin.gif . I receive news that we are paired with Ukraine's Chernomorets of Odessa. We have the second leg at home, which is nice icon_smile.gif

Olof Mellberg seriously annoyed me today. I signed him on a month to month contract based on our financial situation at the time of signing. We agreed that when the situation improved we would offer him a longer deal based on his short-term deal. Now we can offer him it, he wants more, and as he is only on a rolling contract he has decided to leave the club. icon_mad.gif That's gratitude for you. Hmph.

The Serie A campaign starts today with a visit from Sampdoria. I name the same side as the one which beat Bremen, as we look to open the season with a win.

Varese 3

McPhee 34

Franzese 58 pen

Santos 79

Sampdoria 3

Oliviera 28, 65, 83

I'm not too happy overall. We let three seperate leads slip, and our defending still leaves something to be desired. It started well, as Alexiou had an attempt cleared off the line by Granata. Influencial prolific Australian hitman Andreas Oliviera showed he is real Serie A quality as he finished off a nice one-two with Rabito to put the Blucerciati ahead. It wasn't a lead they were to hold long. Stephen McPhee tricked and turned his way through the crowd before slamming a shot high past Cigolini. We grew in confidence, and bar a minor worry over a penalty shout we were calm and controlled. As it turned out, it was us who were to get a penalty, as Santos' pace was too much for Granata. Franzese did the usual from the spot. However, Oliviera scoreda fine header to level the game up again. We looked to have won the game eleven minutes from time as Santos broke through the heart of Sampdoria to score for the second game running, and put us 3-2 ahead. Oliviera had the last word though, as he lunged in off a cross to complete a hat-trick and take a well deserved point. The defence needs shoring up desperately, as we really should have won.

Team: Toldo, Ronning, Orellana, Lewis, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

• Administrators

after a fair old absence this should be back moving icon_smile.gif

----------------------

One of my resolutions for this season is to beat the sides that will finish in the top eight. Last season, we proved we can beat a majority of the clubs in Serie A, and we will only reach that next level by beating the likes of Milan, Inter, and Lazio - who we face today. Mateusz Dobek is not fully fit, so Christian Vieri is drafted in to cover, in what is an otherwise unchanged side.

Varese 2

McPhee 5

Santos 65

Lazio 1

Mihalcea 44

We may have been lucky at times, and we were certainly outplayed, but the important thing is that we came through with the win. In the very first minute we were let off the hook. Massimo Oddo stole in to put Lazio ahead. Well he would have if the officials had not have ruled it out for offside. To add insult to injury, Gabriele Husic booked Oddo for his protests, which were warranted, as he didn't look offside. It seemed as if that acted as a catalyst for us to kick on, and on just five minutes we went into the lead from the main source of goals. Stephen McPhee continues to find Serie A conditions to his liking, and it was the Scottish striker who glanced a header past Kapantsov, who had an excellent game. Lazio were then the dominant side as they went in persuit of an equaliser, as Lucas Castroman started to weave his magic. Yet anything Lazio threw forward was eventually wasted, a majority of which were by young Dutch striker Ed Kuipers. Then, as it looked like we were about to hold on to the break, Adrian Mihalcea found room at the back post to beat Toldo and level up for Mancini's men. We needed another, as Lazio continued in the same vein in the second half. We got it. Santos met McPhee's layoff perfectly and stormed through the Lazio defence, looking rather static. He composed himself before delicately lifting the ball over Kapantsov. From then on it was just a matter of holding out. Ronning and Orellana each cleared attempts off the line, and Toldo was quite inspired, as we managed to hold on to get the numbers moving in the Wins column. icon_smile.gif

Team: Toldo, Ronning, Orellana, Lewis, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, C.Vieri, McPhee, Alexiou

As my final preparations are made for our visit to Odessa in the Ukraine for the UEFA Cup, Napoli chief Osvaldo Jaconi contacts me, with a bid of £2.7m for Daniel Orellana. Since this is markedly less than the £5m they offered in the summer, I politely tell Jaconi what he can do with the cash. Anyway, I'm not for selling one of my prized assets.

What it does do is sparks off my reminder to offer Orellana an improved deal. As an important member of the side both now and for the future, he deserves a deal somewhat greater than what he has. We talk on the way to the Ukraine.

I bring 16 year old Vito Cozzolino and Christian Anselmi to Odessa for the first leg of our clash. They won't have experienced something like the Ukraine before, and even if they don't play they'll be better for the experience. On a horrible pitch, a wet night, and a tiny stadium, we'll have to get stuck in and sacrifice any football to get the result.

Chernomorets 1

Petrenko 87

Varese 0

Absolutely horrible. Not our performance, but the experience in general. A late goal by the impressive Dmytro Petrenko gives the Ukrainians a lead, but past experiences have told me that this is far from over - and we should have the quality (and facilities) to take the second leg with some ease. Stephen McPhee was our best hope of scoring - but then again when isn't he. But overall our style of football just never got going on the bog that they called a pitch. With five minutes to go I gave the 16 year olds a runout, and they did what they could. It was in that period that Jermaine Johnson swung a free kick onto Petrenko's head, and he gave them the win. I've assured the two young lads it wasn't their fault - Cozzolino was especially gutted as it was he who lost Petrenko. Now, I'm just concerned with getting out of here ASAP, and back to the comforts of Varese, where our next match is in the rather more luxurious confines of the San Siro.

Team: Toldo, Ronning, Orellana, Lewis, Franzese (Cozzolino 85), Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, C.Vieri (Anselmi 85), McPhee, Alexiou

• Administrators

Without any shadow of a doubt Milan are the most equipped side in Europe. They have fabulous quality everywhere, so we'll be firm underdogs for this clash. We must stay level for as long as we possibly can, as early goals is where we have come unstuck before. Dobek resumes up front ahead of Vieri.

Milan 4

Toni 5

Hofland 8

Blasi 59

Shevchenko 90

Varese 2

Cavalcante 28

Franzese 90 pen

Ronning sent off 44

We didn't need to concede early, yet after eight minutes the game was over. It took five minutes for Milan's crisp passing to undo us and leave Luca Toni with a simple opportunity to beat Toldo. Just three minutes later Manuele Blasi swung a deep ball onto Kevin Hofland's head, and the Dutch centre back doubled the advantage. After the initial shock, we managed to assert some sort of authority on the match and reduced the deficit just short of half an hour, as Claudio Cavalcante was on hand to finish McPhee's spilled shot. From then until the break we were comfortable in the San Siro, but things took a turn for the worse on 44 minutes. Guido Marcinkovic had already booked Per Verner Ronning, and as he brought Pirlo down there was little choice but to dismiss the Norwegian. Yet even then we were far from out of it. Until the hour mark, we were playing our best football, as our ten men started to feel comfortable. But we fell asleep, and allowed Manuele Blasi to steal in unmarked and slam the crucial third. We clearly deserved more, so when Andriy Shevchenko scored a fourth, I felt harshly done. Things were levelled out a little more seconds later, when Hofland elbowed Alexiou off the ball. Franzese did the deeds from twelve yards, but Milan inflict our first defeat of the season - and they deserved it too. Just.

Team: Toldo, Ronning, Orellana, Lewis, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Dobek (Tcherevchenko 44), McPhee, Alexiou

The Italian FA revoke the ban placed upon Per Verner Ronning. I had valid grounds for an appeal, and it has been upheld. icon_smile.gif

We have a good record against Napoli, and they visit today smelling blood, as we've lost our last two games without playing to our usual standards. Mateusz Dobek has a shoulder injury, so Juho Makela gets his spot, in a move that has surprised many in the media.

Varese 6

Cavalcante 4, 18, 29, 45

Alexiou 27

McPhee 58

Napoli 2

Lodesani 10

Stellone 23

What an absolutely amazing performance from Claudio Cavalcante. Words simply cannot describe the Brazilian midfielder today. He had scored seven goals for Varese prior to this afternoon, but he managed four in the first 45 here, and making another icon_eek.gificon_cool.gif . The match started well for us, as Ronning's ball to Makela was saved by Agliardi, but Cavalcante had roamed free to tap in the 1-0. Just six minutes later and Napoli were level. Manolo Pestrin played a perfect pass to Enrico Lodesani, who scored his first goal for the Neapolitans. However, the game swung back in our favour on eighteen minutes, in much the same fashion as before. Santos broke through and had a shot saved by Agliardi, but Cavalcante had another simple chance to score from. Yet Napoli are made of strong stuff, and levelled once more five minutes later. Alvaro Recoba sent over a nice cross, from which Roberto Stellone volleyed past Toldo, who must be under pressure from the consistently good Stekelenburg by now. The pattern continued, as once more we restored a lead. Claudio Cavalcante surged past three men before clipping a beautiful goal to Christos Alexiou. The Greek headed in his first of what will hopefully become another prolific season. It didn't stop there. Barely a hundred seconds later, and the lead was 4-2. Franzese showed neat and intricate footwork to work an opening for Cavalcante. My captain arrived before the converging Agliardi and showed great composure to lift it over him and complete a first career hat-trick. By the time I was giving my half time team talk, we were 5-2 ahead. Again, Franzese gave the ball to the Brazilian, but this time it was all Cavalcante. After shifting the ball, he unleashed a swerving shot from 20 yards into the bottom corner, for what was an amazing fourth icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif . As with these sort of games, only one goal arrived in the second half, as McPhee found the net with a header from Makela's cross. But the day belonged to Varese captain Claudio Cavalcante, who played what has to be called 'the perfect game'. icon_smile.gif

Team: Toldo, Ronning, Orellana, Lewis, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Makela, McPhee, Alexiou

• Administrators

Tonight sees the first UEFA Cup match ever at the Franco Ossola. Chernomorets of Odessa hold a 1-0 lead from the Ukraine, but as I said on that horrible night, I am confident of a win in the nicer, warmer and better atmosphere here. A 6-2 win over Napoli not only confirms that, but gives us the kick needed to get going early tonight.

Varese 5

Santos 14

Franzese 44, 72 pen

Alexiou 58

McPhee 67

Franzese missed pen 3

Chernomorets 0

Sharpe sent off 3

It's frightening to think what we could have done tonight. Five was devastating enough, but as you will read, there could have been more. Just three minutes into the action saw Santos typically go through one on one. In desperation, Australian goalkeeper Chris Sharpe brought Santos down. As the last man, Gordon Zammit Tabona had no choice but to dismiss him. There we are, waiting for Roberto Franzese to slot home, when his kick was fantastically stopped by replacement Eugenio Ischenko - only his second miss ever! Five minutes later, we were denied a lead for a second time. Cavalcante teased a cross to which Alexiou converted, only he was offside. At the third time of trying, we charmed the opener. The Brazilians Cavalcante and Santos combined for the latter to beat the offside trap and the sub keeper. That was needed, but the second didn't arrive until the 44th minute. Franzese may have missed the spot kick, but he was intent on making amends. Santos' attempt was parried, and Franzese surged through to score the all-important second to put us ahead on aggregate. Shy of the hour, Orellana lofted a pass into the area, where Alexiou headed home - and this one counted. In our recent good form, Stephen McPhee has taken something of a lesser role - not the focal point that he became at the end of last season. Notwithstanding, on 67 minutes the Scot scored a wonderous goal. The loose ball fell on the edge of the area, and McPhee wrapped around it from the side, and sent a rapier of an attempt home. icon_cool.gif We were awarded another penalty five minutes later, and in an act of defiance and show of guts, Franzese kept his role as team penalty taker by successfully scoring. We had, in total, 27 attempts at the Chernomorets goal, whilst Stekelenburg was throughly unused at the other end. Another comprehensive home win, and we're making progress in Europe. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Ronning, Orellana, Lewis, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Makela, McPhee, Alexiou

The second round draw of the UEFA Cup presents us with Polish side Pogon. They're a half decent side, but I'd be annoyed

if we can't beat them. We have the first leg at home, so we need to make use of that.

Our first midweek match of the League season takes us to Cagliari. We've been in such good form that I name the same team for the third week running. Amongst the substitutes is Roberto Javier Mina, who has almost fully recovered from a torn hamstring.

Cagliari 0

Lara sent off 1

Accardi sent off 3

Parente sent off 44

Varese 4

Franzese 2 pen

McPhee 34, 45

Santos 71

Quite how Mauro Nardini motivates his Cagliari I don't know, but they threw the game away with three first half red cards, including two in the first 180 seconds icon_redface.gif . Referee Andrea Cvitkusic may have had a prominent part in it, but the reds can be justified. For the second straight game Santos had the opposing goalkeeper sent off. He rounded Gaston Lara, and was ready to score, when the talented Uruguayan keeper took him out. Off he went, and Franzese dispatched the penalty. From the kick off, Makela took the ball, only to be wiped out by seventeen year old Alessandro Accardi. It might have been a yellow considering the time in the match, but off he went, and Cagliari were reduced to nine men by just three minutes. On seven minutes they found some luck. Davide Adona clearly headbutted Stilianos Doukas, only the referee chose not to see this one. Cagliari had no choice but to sit back and bear the brunt of our attack. They did well until McPhee made it 2-0 ten minutes before half time, as he found plenty of time to measure an attempt to beat Poleksic. Cagliari were becoming more and more frustrated, and on 44 minutes Angelo Parente shoved Cavalcante as the referee tried to break up a dispute between the two. Down went Cavalcante, out came the red card again, and off went Parente. To rub salt in the wound, Lewis took a quick free kick which left Doukas and McPhee two on one defender. The Greek midfielder drew the defender in, squared to McPhee, and he did the rest. The second half was less enthralling, as Cagliari made it a mission to gain some respectability. Santos found the fourth goal with a rare headed effort on 71. We probably would have won 11 vs 11, but they made it too easy with their complete loss of focus. At least I was able to give twenty minutes to Mina, who returned from injury with no problems, but in this form he'll have some work to do to replace someone.

Team: Stekelenburg, Ronning, Orellana, Lewis, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Makela (Mina 69), McPhee, Alexiou

Archived