I can't believe I thought it would be easy (the Italian Job challenge)

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

thanks guys - I'll do my best to keep it up icon_smile.gif

Christian Vieri picked up a nasty injury in training this morning. He went over on his ankle pretty badly, and it turns out he's damaged his achilles tendon - not the wisest thing to do. He wasn't playing regularly, but he's always a useful assest to have, so it's a bit of a blow.

Udinese come to the Franco Ossola to meet my Varese side who are in some really good form. Some of our football in recent weeks has been of the highest standard. No changes to the side.

Varese 2

Alexiou 3

Cavalcante 90

Udinese 0

Scorelines like this impress me just as much as the 5-0's of this world. Although that said, we could have easily had five today icon_biggrin.gif . In the second minute Christos Alexiou slammed a volley past De Sanctis, only to be called back for an infringement. He responded perfectly, by heading in a legitimate goal from Cavalcante's cross. Stephen McPhee then fell foul of the offside trap, as his nonchalent strike was the second to be ruled out. We were comfortable, except for a few Artem Kontsevoy-inspired moments for Udinese. But these attacks were few and far between in the first half, and the defence handled everything. Udinese were a little better in the second half, but Maarten Stekelenburg proved his worthiness in the side with a number of good stops. Stilianos Doukas was aiding the defence superbly, as he used his height advantage and positional sense to win aerial battles. In injury time, as it looked as if one would do, we hit the Bianconeri on the break, and Cavalcante nipped in to head in the winner and his sixth of the season - equalling his total from last year. We seem to be getting very good now, it's all a matter of how long we can maintain it. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Ronning, Orellana, Lewis, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Makela (Mina 70), McPhee, Alexiou

In the second round draw of the Coppa Italia, we are drawn against Napoli. It's not the worst draw, as they are one of the sides we have a good record against.

Later in the day we are to face Pogon. The Polish side aren't bad, but I'd hop to win this one, with another unchanged side, even with the return to fitness of Polish international Mateusz Dobek.

Varese 5

McPhee 31, 51, 90

Alexiou 70

Mina 90

Franzese injured 7

Pogon 1

Kosmalski 19

In a way the scoreline is quite harsh on Pogon. They didn't deserve to lose by five, but that's what happened eventually. It looked really bad for us early on, as Jacek Kosmalski stole away from his man to beat Stekelenburg. It was the first goal we've conceded in 366 minutes, and more importantly Pogon had an away goal. In truth, they were worrying me more than I'd expected, and there wasn't much urgency in our play. That said, we drew level shortly after the half hour mark with an immaculate counter attack. Stekelenburg released the ball to Lewis, who fed Ronning. He found Orellana in an advanced role, and Dobek took over. He then sent McPhee through, and he scored his tenth of the season to draw us level. However, a half time score of 1-1 was not my idea of satisfaction. The players were reminded that they are better, and that with patience but some urgency, we would get the win. Six minutes later, we had the lead. Doukas' corner was spilt by the keeper, and McPhee scored again. It was the break we needed. Twenty minutes from time, another Doukas cross found Alexiou's head, and the Greek striker made it 3-1. It was in injury time that the scoreline became harsh on the visitors. First off, McPhee carried the ball through the defence and completed his first hat-trick of the season. From the kick off, Roberto Javier Mina stole the ball off a lax defence, and scored a fabulous solo goal. He came on at half time for Makela, and impressed greatly, scoring his first Varese goal. 5-1 is enough to put us through, but it was a bit misleading.

Team: Stekelenburg, Ronning, Orellana, Lewis, Franzese (Dobek 7), Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Makela (Mina 45), McPhee, Alexiou

Roberto Franzese strained his thigh and is out for three weeks.

• Administrators

We travel to Venezia, where historically we don't have a good record. They have a talented side, but then we are in good form. Mina starts up front after impressing recently, and Dobek replaces Franzese in midfield.

Venezia 4

Campedelli 11

Firmani 14

Twigg 25

Natali 28

Varese 3

Santos 15

Mina 30

McPhee 87

Mina injured 87

I am very unhappy. These games are the ones we have to win, and quite frankly, our defending was horrible. Nicola Campedelii opened things up with a good strike high past Stekelenburg from eighteen yards, It would have been hard for anyone to stop. Three minutes later it got worse, as Fabio Firmani stole in to score his first goal this season. But there was hope. Santos hit a rocket shot past Paluzzi to make the scoreline 2-1, and score his 50th Varese goal in the league. Venezia made our day worse ten minutes later, as Venezia's Scottish striker Gary Twigg attempted to show Stephen McPhee he isn't the only prolific Scottish striker in the peninsular. Alessio Natali made it four with a header, and we were in a dishevelled state. Roberto Javier Mina reduced the arrears with a goal following a neat one-two with Dobek, but we never had much chance of recovering. Late on, Mina sacrificed himself to set up McPhee to score his seventh in six matches. Mina went off injured with knee trouble, and he may need three weeks out. A totally forgettable day and some deplorable defending. icon_frown.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Ronning, Orellana, Lewis, Dobek, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Mina (Makela 88), McPhee, Alexiou

Lecce have been the most impressive side in the opening weeks of the season. Delio Rossi's side can go back top with a win at our place tonight, televised across Europe. My midfield is shot to pieces. Not only is Franzese out, but Stilianos Doukas is also unavailable. Sixteen year old Vito Cozzolino is in from the start.

Varese 2

Alexiou 29 pen

Cavalcante 56

Lecce 3

Casetti 12

Vucinic 34

Bruno 52

Two defeats in a row in the league is not the form I desire. We had a pathetic three attempts on goal, such was Lecce's control. It's our first home defeat of the season, and I really do not like losing here. Talented Lecce stalwart Mario Cassetti gave the Giallorossi the lead on twelve minutes when the defence chose not to mark him. Just before the half hour arrived, we were level. Stephen McPhee was awarded a penalty, and in the absence of Roberto Franzese, Christos Alexiou took the responsibility of converting past Abbiati. Stupidly however, we conceded almost immediately. Mirko Vucinic, their talented Yugoslav hitman, slammed a volley spectacularly past Stekelenburg from a long way out. They extended the advantage after half time by way of Salvatore Bruno's headed effort. We were back in with a shout as Claudio Cavalcante took on the mantle of getting us something with a fine solo goal. But Lecce did what they needed, and we were defeated again. It's easy to blame it on injuries, but we were not good enough today.

Team: Stekelenburg, Ronning, Orellana, Lewis, Asencio, Cavalcante©, Cozzolino, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

Next up are four away games against Pogon, Napoli, Bologna, and Juventus.

• Administrators

It's wet and cold in Poland, but we're secure in the knowledge of our 5-1 lead from the home leg. Santos is suspended, so Juho Makela gets the role in the hole, with instructions to roam. Otherwise we're unchanged.

Pogon 0

Varese 0

Easy path through, although I'm a little anxious that we couldn't find a win. We weren't ever troubled, but we just seemed content to play out time. As a consequence, there's little to talk of. Pogon didn't have one shot at our goal, whilst our eleven brought the best out of Martin Szymaszek in the Polish goal. McPhee had five of our chances, all of which drew blanks and saves. His best chance came with a searing drive that the goalkeeper had to show amazing agility to stop. Sixteen year old striker Christian Anselmi came on late to gain experience, and did well enough. The other teenager, Vito Cozzolino, had a strong match, as he got his passing game going well. We're through, and that's the important thing. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Ronning, Orellana, Lewis, Asencio, Cavalcante©, Cozzolino, Makela (Anselmi 72), Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

The Coppa Italia takes precedence this weekend, as we head down South to Napoli. We're not in the best of form, but the important thing is to get an away goal. Santi comes in for Cozzolino, otherwise it's the same names that played in Poland.

Napoli 2

Ljungberg 14

Recoba 47

Varese 1

Alexiou 37

We travel back home with an away goal for the second leg, but I must admit I'm perturbed by our recent lack of form, especially with a tougher run of games coming up. Napoli started well, dictating the play, and took a fourteenth minute lead when Freddie Ljungberg took a loose ball away from Stekelenburg and stroked the ball home. We needed to respond, and we did. Nine minutes before half time Alexiou pounced on a loose ball in the area and hooked a volley past Agliardi. We went in at the break with a crucial away goal. The key thing was not to concede another too early, but barely two minutes into the second half Alvaro Recoba found a little space and buried his shot. We were far from our best, and Claudio Cavalcante was way off his game today, which may have had an effect on the whole game. But we have an away goal, so we should have a great chance of progression. The worrying thing, however, is our form. One draw and three defeats in four games is not acceptable, and with Bologna, Juve, Inter and Roma coming up, we have to watch ourselves.

Team: Stekelenburg, Ronning, Orellana, Lewis, Asencio (Makela 86), Cavalcante©, Santi, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

Last season we lost 6-5 to Bologna. I won't be happy with a similar result. Daniel Orellana is suspended, so I opt for experience in bringing in club stalwart Edoardo Gorini to hold us together for his first match of the league season. The media have billed this game as a battle of the two Greek strikers - Bologna's potent Manolis Ligkos, and Varese's Christos Alexiou. Hopefully, Alexiou will come out on top.

Bologna 1

Cipriani 28 pen

Varese 1

Dobek 37

Despite Bologna's poor start to the season, I take this as a point gained rather than two lost. Both goalkeepers were kept busy throughout, and we probably had the chances to win it. However, it was the Emilia side who took the lead. Nunzio Biava was felled inside the eighteen yard box, and Giacomo Cipriani sent the ball past Stekelenburg. The equaliser came from Mateusz Dobek, who was magnificent today. McPhee flicked on a cross, and at the second time of asking Dobek poked past Pompei. We came close to winning the match in the second half, as McPhee started to look more and more dangerous. In injury time Santi sent a cross over, and McPhee's glancing header bounced back off the crossbar. It was just that kind of day. Still, it's not a bad result.

Team: Stekelenburg, Ronning, Gorini, Lewis, Asencio, Cavalcante©, Santi, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

The third round draw of the UEFA Cup sees us drawn with Olympiakos. The Greek side have some good talent, and we'll have a very hard two games to get through. We're at home first.

• Administrators

We lost in injury time in Turin last season, and beat La Vecchia Signora at our ground on the last day, so we know we can at least live with Ranieri's side. An added bonus is the fact star names Beasley and Trezeguet are away on international duty, and also that Juve are out of form. However, we haven't won in five, so today would be a nice change.

Juventus 3

Pazzini 11

Paro 42

Toscano 76 pen

Varese 2

McPhee 26

Mina 86

We deserved at least a point, but in essence we threw the points away. After a decent start from ourselves, emerging striker Giampaolo Pazzini headed in a dangerous cross courtesy of Antonio Cassano. Yet the Bianconeri sat back and allowed us to equalise. A neat move down the right side eventually saw McPhee turn and hook a wonderful shot over Pegolo to add his fourteenth of the season. It would have been nice to hold on until half time, but that again was proven impossible three minutes before half time as Juve stalwart Matteo Paro flicked in his first of the season. The second half was much the same, as we came desperately close to stealing another goal. Some fine solo work by Christos Alexiou ended in Juve captain Pegolo making a stunning close range stop. McPhee came close with a skidding drive. And as it looked like we may get the second, Simone Inzaghi stole in and was brought down by Stekelenburg. He has a reputation for 'simulating', but this was a spot kick, which Sergio Toscano dispatched. Roberto Javier Mina was brought on to add some impetus, and he scored a fine effort with some great trickery and coolness under pressure. He could only make it 3-2 though, as we drop even more points, and I'm starting to worry. icon_frown.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Legrottaglie, Gorini, Lewis, Asencio (Mina 78), Cavalcante©, Santi, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

Roma have the world's best striker in Fernando Cavenaghi - and they paid £18.75m for him too. There's the gulf between us, even before considering my defence is on it's last legs - they're the only fit three I have. Makela starts after impressing in the week both here and for Finland, and Franzese and Doukas are fit to resume in the centre of the park.

Varese 0

Roma 3

Alex 4

Totti 13

Cavenaghi 28

We are in a really bad state. It's that time of the season where I'll be looking to bring some names in, even though I have no money. This means selling names, and if I can get some bids in I'm likely to accept for certain names, because although Roma were special, we were poor. It took four minutes for Vavassori's side to cut through us and allow Alex to beat Stekelenburg. A further nine minutes down the line and Francesco Totti rose highest to head in the Romanista's second. The Giallorossi soon made it three, as Cavenaghi continued to prove his status as the best. His expert finish was his eighth in seven games for Roma, and his 262nd in 323 club games. Added to that we were pathetically impotent up front. Not one of the five attackers used on the day were worth anything. Nobody tried, and that's what hurts. After such a bright start we're slowly falling away from the top, although we're eighth, and still a little in touch. But things must improve.

Team: Stekelenburg, Ronning, Gorini, Lewis, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Makela (Mina 45), McPhee, Alexiou (Dobek 45)

• Administrators

As promised, I place some names on the transfer list as a matter of necessity, as our finances are starting to look perilous. Niko Tobros hasn't done much since we gained promotion from C1, so he could bring in a million or two. A second backup defender, Edu Dracena, has been here a year and not really impressed. He could easily bring in £2m. With this money I could bring in some bargains on the cheap.

We need to make full use of tonight's home leg against Olympiakos. I know how tough a side they are, and we are in poor, poor form, which doesn't bode well. Makela continues up front as we need his physical presence.

Varese 2

Doukas 50

Alexiou 66

Olympiakos 3

Karamanos 35

Liberopoulos 63

Kaviedes 90

I think I have just cause to be extremely worried about our current plight. We played well enough, which is an improvement over recent performances, but we still can't get the elusive win some of our football deserves. It's been three straight defeats now, and with a trip to the San Siro at the weekend it only looks like getting worse. It may even mean a formation change, as our current style just invites the opponents to attack at will. It would mean abandoning the style we have been so successful with, so it's a hard decision. Tonight, Olympiakos took the lead with a long range effort from Sotiris Karamanos which Stekelenburg could only slow down on its path into the net. We drew level in fine style. A twenty yard free kick was expertly scored by Stilianos Doukas. The Greek chose a fine time to score his first of the season. However, young let back Nikos Liberopoulos found too much space, and we were suddenly back behind. Yet the spirit was there, as we drew level for the second time, through a towering header from Alexiou. A draw wouldn't have been the worst result in the world, but we didn't even get that, because Ivan Kaviedes outshone Ecuadorian compatriot Roberto Mina by bundling in an injury time winner icon_frown.gif We now have to win in Greece, plus Olympiakos have three away goals. But they're the least of my problems. Our form has to change.

Team: Stekelenburg, Ronning, Gorini, Lewis, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Makela (Mina 66), McPhee, Alexiou

I decide to stick with the formation, but change the components for the trip to Inter. Francesco Toldo takes the gloves to try and frustrate his former employees, and Niko Tobros plays at the heart of the defence to prove his worth. I am not looking forwards to this.

Inter 3

Rosicky 6

Veron 12

Rossini 40

Varese 1

Santos 52

It wasn't half as bad as I had expected, but what matters is that we still failed to take a point. It took only six minutes for Inter to work out how to break through. That said, Tomas Rosicky's stunning thirty yard firecracker was something nobody could stop. Only twelve minutes were passed when Juan Seba Veron was left free to head in a second. Only it wasn't one way traffic. Christos Alexiou was causing endless concern for the defence, and on a number of occasions Frey had to make decent saves. After McPhee hit the post at one end, Fausto Rossini tapped in number three on 40 minutes, and the points went with it. Surprisingly, we dominated the second half, and scored a consolation via the right foot of Santos. In fact it was Santos who continued to be our most dangerous player, but even he couldn't break through. The only bright spot to take from this is that it marks the end of the 'hard' run, and we should get back to normal. In this form, that might be blindly optimistic.

Team: Toldo, Ronning, Tobros, Lewis, Franzese (Mina 71), Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Makela (Dobek 26), McPhee, Alexiou

In my after match discussions with Hector Raul Cúper, he seemed to have a discernable interest in Stilianos Doukas. The Argentinian was praising my Greek midfielder to the highest. Does it mean a transfer bid?

• Administrators

The last time Napoli visited the Franco Ossola we stuck six past them. A similar result would do today, especially as the Neapolitans hold a 2-1 advantage. The defence is again shuffled, as Tcherevchenko and Dracena get starts ahead of Tobros and Lewis. The front three are restored to their most potent form.

Varese 4

Cardinale 26 og

Alexiou 45

Santos 50

Dobek 59

Napoli 3

Orru 4

Lodesani 30

Pestrin 61

But for a couple of shocking refereeing decisions we could well have been through. Just nineteen seconds were on the clock when Stephen McPhee opened the scoring - yet it was chalked off for a highly debatable offside icon_mad.gif To compound my misery moreso, Nicola Orru hammered in a stunning effort from a wide and long range angle to give Napoli a crucial away goal. Thankfully we were level soon enough. Doukas launched a long free kick to which Cardinale got the unfortunate touch to equalise. Then our old selves kicked in, as Napoli cut through us at will, leaving Enrico Lodesani free to roll in the second, meaning we needed to get to four to be ahead on aggregate. So, we set about getting those four, as only we would. On the stroke of half time Alexiou notched one of them with a glancing header past Agliardi. Five minutes into the second half the chances became even better as Santos was first to the loose ball to prod us ahead in the game. The fourth arrived nine minutes later, as Mateusz Dobek powered a header home from Cavalcante's cross. icon_biggrin.gif Then Manolo Pestrin pulled a goal out of nothing to mean we again needed a goal. And we thought we had it. Matesuz Dobek found another free header, and again he converted, but this was also deemed offside. icon_frown.gif With that went our Coppa Italia chances. In hindsight this may prove a blessing. We finally found the winning formula, and with qualification we would have met Inter, who would have no doubt damaged our form and confidence. This may just be the turning point.

Team: Toldo, Ronning, Tcherevchenko, Edu Dracena, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Dobek (Mina 81), McPhee, Alexiou

Speculation continues to mount in the media that Stilianos Doukas may move to one of the Milan clubs in the upcoming transfer window. I decline a comment, as I may just be tempted, should the offer be sufficient. Doukas has played very well, and is a quality performer, but he doesn't score often enough, and I can't help but feel that if I claimed £5m+ for him I could bring three names in who could do just as good a job as Doukas did when I signed him for cheap.

Salernitana are a tricky proposition. Like us, they're having a mediocre time of it. Also like us, they're an ultra-attacking outfit, with some dangerous talents. So some think my decision to blood seventeen year old defender Renzo Andreazzoli is a bit strange. However, I, and Varese centre back legends on the coaching staffu - Roberto Bandirali and Edoardo Gorini - think he's up to the task, and alongside the experienced Igor Tcherevchenko he'll be guided well. Stekelenburg resumes in goal.

Varese 1

Alexiou 56

Salernitana 1

Woodthorpe 22

This will do for now. We defended very well against a dangerous side, and looked sharp enough at the business end of things. Getting back to form slowly will benefit us in the long run. It seems that Chul-Soo Woodthorpe only ever scores against us. His 22nd minute chip over a stranded Stekelenburg was delightful on the eye, but frustrating on the manager. We were being pinned back, but the defence stood strong in the face of some adversity. On 56 minutes Christos Alexiou planted the equaliser past Alex Brunner to share the spoils. A very positive spin on the game comes from the defence. Igor Tcherevchenko was simply outstanding, and alongside him Renzo Andreazzoli (less than half Igor's age icon_biggrin.gif ) was great on his debut. Nothing awed him, and he may just get a regular place on this form. An overall assessment would be that this is a point gained.

Team: Stekelenburg, Ronning, Tcherevchenko, Andreazzoli, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

• Administrators

We know what's required in Greece tonight. We have to score twice in the cauldron that is the Rizoupolis stadium in Olympiakos. In all honesty though, I'd be satisfied with a performance where we can take some credit for a strong performance.

Olympiakos 1

Abreu 81

Varese 0

Well, our first ever UEFA Cup adventure is over, but we didn't shame ourselves tonight against a side with much more European experience. These ties will set us in good stead for the next time we find ourselves in this position, as we'll know where we've failed in times gone. Sebastian Abreu's late header did for us today, but we made most of the running and truthfully, we could have scored a number of goals. Christos Alexiou was dangerous, and forced good saves from Vasilis Manikas twice. Other than that, we were a little jaded, but now we're free to focus entirely on the league, where at full strength, I feel we can really challenge for the top of the table, especially as there's no distractions.

Team: Stekelenburg, Ronning, Tcherevchenko, Andreazzoli, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

Perugia are an enigma. They can pull off amazing wins, yet lose without caring. Their attack is pretty tasty, but the defence shaky. Sound like anyone you know? icon_wink.gif We're unchanged again,

Perugia 2

Fiore 42

G.Miccoli 63

Bini sent off 30

Varese 3

Franzese 30, 43

Mina 83

Franzese missed pen 30

This win was extremely satisfying, as we were consistently pegged back, but we showed the character and desire to get the win. As I expected, Perugia were a threat every time they entered our defensive third, with the two Miccoli's - Giusepe and Fabrizio - causing problems. The game changed on the half hour mark. Dobek dribbled his way into the area, where he was crudely hacked down by Mario Bini. Roberto Franzese, in a very unusual occurence, had the kick saved, but recovered to pounce on the rebound for the opening goal. Unfortunately we allowed Perugia back into the game. Foglio delivered a dangerous cross for Nicola Fiore to open his Serie A account. Then we reacted in the way we've been victim of soooooo many times in the past. The most vulnerable time is just after you've scored, and we know that all too well. For a change, we took that information and made it useful, because a neat passing session gave Franzese the open chance, and he hammered low and hard past Indiveri. Yet we still couldn't hold the lead. Giuseppe Miccoli became the second youngster to score his first Serie A goal with a good turn and shot. Mateusz Dobek was taken off in the hope that SuperSub Mina could work his magic as he has done before, and for a while it looked like a wasted change. Then, with just seven minutes left on the clock, Igor Tcherevchenko ventured high enough up the pitch to get a nosebleed. His cross was a little over Mina's head, but the Ecuadoran arched backwards and flicked into the roof of the net to secure a crucial three points! icon_biggrin.gif It's a nice way to finish the football for 2009, as our next game will mark the start of a new decade - one in which Varese will prosper!

Team: Stekelenburg, Ronning, Tcherevchenko, Andreazzoli, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Dobek (Mina 46), McPhee, Alexiou

A few big announcements regarding retirements are made this morning. At the training ground, Christian Vieri, Max Vieri, Igor Tcherevchenko, Laurent Plaquet, Gonzalo Martinez and Francesco Toldo all announce their retirement as of the end of the season. Some fantastic careers will be ending, and it will mark something of a revolution here, as they'll all have to be replaced in some way or another.

• Administrators

2010 gets underway with a game against Atalanta, who are perennial mid table occupants. After a nice break I'm able to name my strongest side, which finally includes Daniel Orellana in defence.

Varese 3

McPhee 1, 66

Rønning 63

Atalanta 2

Spanu 58

Espinal 90

It was tight again, but we deserved the win eventually. In the very first minute, Renzo Andreazzoli's battling led to Stephen McPhee finding both the time and the space to get through to score after something of a barren run. Then, quite truthfully, not a whole lot happened in the rest of the half, as Atalanta were content to play their game in order to attempt to break us down. It wasn't working, or so I thought. Just shy of the hour teenage striker Mario Spani was left unmarked, and levelled proceedings. Not for long. Per Verner Rønning was brought on at half time for Santos, who showed signs of injury, and it paid off. McPhee did brilliantly down the flank, and managed to loft a cross in for the Norwegian to head in. icon_smile.gif McPhee, by now, was running the show, and he doubled his tally three minutes later. Alexiou's tame attempt was saved, and McPhee pounced to score his sixteenth of the season. In injury time, the impressive Vinicio Espinal tricked and twisted his way through to score, but we held the points to keep in touch with those above us. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Lewis, Orellana, Andreazzoli, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos (Rønning 45), Dobek (Mina 45), McPhee, Alexiou

We've never had the best of records in Bari's San Nicola stadium, having lost there 6-3 and 3-0 in the past. Also, despite Ivo Iaconi's side being in dodgy form, they have some very dangerous players. One change for us - Santos is injured, so Mina plays in the hole behind the front three.

Bari 2

Tisci 81, 88

Varese 2

McPhee 12

Alexiou 79

This was an enthralling match that I'm disappointed not to have won. The action was non-stop, end-to-end, and by the end everyone must have been physically drained. The first goal arrived on twelve minutes, as Cassano could only parry Alexiou's attempt, and McPhee scored another - hopefully marking the start of another prolific run. The action didn't stop there. The pendulum swung back and forth, as Menezes Guimaraes and Mokas in particular caused havoc, but Stekelenburg made some fine stops, and Daniel Orellana took control over a back line that haven't played together often, and with a seventeen year old of only five professional games. In that respect I was delighted to be ahead at half time. The second half was more of the same, as Bari started to take control and heap huge pressure on our goal. English striker Les Walsh came on and annoyed us, meaning that Franzese was tied down trying to prevent him running the show. Maarten Stekelenburg continued to raise his profile by making special saves. My main thought was to weather the storm and grab a second to give us more space to breath. In essence that happened. Bari left too many holes at the back from a corner, and our electric pace gave Alexiou room to crash past Cassano for his tenth of the season. It should have been the winner. However, one minute later Smit hoofed a ball high into our goalmouth. Mokas' header was saved, but veteran Ivan Tisci acrobatically volleyed into an unguarded goal. They sensed blood, and got it. Another long ball was lofted in, another knock down, and Tisci hit the ball clean as a whistle past Stekelenburg's despairing dive. icon_frown.gif Bari probably deserved a point, but ours takes us up to seventh, and still in reach of a Champions League spot, although it's still early days. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Lewis, Orellana, Andreazzoli, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Mina, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

• Administrators

Lazio General Manager David Patrizi contacts me this morning on behalf of Roberto Mancini with a bid for Stilianos Doukas. This is the moment I've dreaded. Doukas has been in fine form, and thinks the world of myself and the club. However, our declining financial situation may lead me to look for a sale. The Biancocelesti submit a bid of £6.75m, which is £6m on what I paid for him. It makes business sense, but from a common sense point of view, I ask for something closer to £8m. If they can match me there, they may have a deal. It's not definite, as I'd love to keep him, but as said before, I can find two players who can do the job for cheaper.

Lazio decide £8m is too high, and withdraw their offer.

However, they come back later in the afternoon with a £7m bid - £6.5m up front, and a further £500k after 20 games for Lazio. Once again, I inform them that I require £8m for the Greek's services.

Since drawing 3-3 on the opening day with ourselves, Sampdoria have only managed to get five points, and no wins. Australian Andreas Oliveira is their only Serie A quality player, and he's been injured for a while, and misses today. I remain unchanged from the last game.

Sampdoria 2

Mari 45

Sardo 49

Varese 4

Alexiou 1, 29

Makela 73

Cavalcante 83

Lewis injured 78

It was more comprehensive than it looked. Other than a five minute spell, Sampdoria couldn't match us. It only took a matter of seconds for the lead to arrive. Roberto Franzese crossed the ball, and Alexiou leapt to head past Pace. It was Alexiou who doubled the lead a minute short of the half hour mark. Again it was a Franzese cross, and another Alexiou header dispatched in fine fettle to score his 50th goal for Varese. All this time, Sampdoria never posed a threat. However, in first half stoppage time, Valentino Lai laid off the pass for Matteo Mari to reduce the arrears to only one. The lead looked a little suspect, as it always will when we're playing, and so it proved. Gennaro Sardo beat Stekelenburg to an aerial challenge, and the right back headed his second of the season. Roberto Mina was pretty average in his role that is usually occupied by Santos, so Juho Makela was brought on to shake things up. Thankfully, the Finn did. McPhee sent a volley fizzing onto the crossbar, from which Makela had the time and space to compose himself and score for the first time this season. It was McPhee who made the fourth too. Again, it was a strike on goal parried by Domenico Pace, from which Claudio Cavalcante headed in to secure three more crucial points. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Lewis (Tcherevchenko 78), Orellana, Andreazzoli, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Mina (Makela 70), Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

• Administrators

In many peoples eyes ourselves and Parma are the two most exciting young sides in Italy. We both share an attacking philiosophy based around raw talent. As such, tonight's game in the Ennio Tardini should be highly watchable for the neutral. In keeping with the philosophy, Greg Lewis (injured) is replaced by eighteen year old Domenico Asara. The Italian, who has dual Albanian nationality, is a supremely gifted defender or midfielder, and lines up in a youthful but inexperienced defence. Santos also returns from injury.

Parma 0

Varese 2

Santos 45

Alexiou 78

Altogether this was the finest performance we could have put out. We defended very well, as strong as we've been for a while, and against Parma a clean sheet is brilliant. The first half exhibited some good football, with Mutu having Parma's best effort saved by Stekelenburg. Cavalcante sent a long range shot searing onto the top of the crossbar, as seventeen year old keeper Diego Luciani was beaten. On the stroke of the break, we broke from a corner on a counter attack. Franzese sent a slide-rule pass through the middle, onto which Santos met the ball first time to finish clinically. Of the three seasons Santos has spent here, this is perhaps the most disappointing, but the Brazilian still pulls brilliance out. As does Maarten Stekelenburg. Parma ladi siege to our goal in the second half, but Stekelenburg stood firm, making a number of fine stops - frustrating Adriano, Mutu et al. All the time we were looking dangerous. Alexiou hit the post with a lovely curling effort eight minutes before he wrapped up the points. Stilianos Doukas hit a free kick into the wall. By way of luck the ball fell to Christos Alexiou, who beat the teenage kid goalkeeper to score his fourth in three matches. After a slow start the Greek is beginning to get hot. icon_cool.gif A clean sheet with such an inexperienced defence is very positive, as it means these three could line up together more often.

Team: Stekelenburg, Asara, Orellana, Andreazzoli, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

Cagliari have only two points from their travels this season, and I'll be disappointed if we can't get a win today. Stilianos Doukas is suspended so Per Verner Rønning comes into midfield - this is where his versatility comes useful.

Varese 3

Santos 50, 84

Makela 75

Cagliari 1

Perfetti 36

The game was far tougher than I expected, but we came through late on. Cagliari impressed me more than they did at the Sant'Elia earlier in the season (they did have more than eight men this time icon_biggrin.gif ). They even took the lead ten minutes before half time through centre back Luca Perfetti. It got me worried, as we weren't really creating much, and what we did was being wasted. Stephen McPhee hit a dipping shot over the goal, which was our best opening. Five minutes into the second half we were level. Stephen McPhee stabbed a cross into the area between the goalkeeper and the defence, to which Santos swivelled a volley past Lara. Yet we were still looking out of sorts. Juho Makela came on in a re-shuffle, as he has impressed as a sub. Once again, he got us out of a hole. Santos dribbled through the static Cagliari defence, sent a cross into the area, and Makela did the business to give us a 2-1 lead. Santos, by now, was pulling all the strings. Six minutes from time he went straight through the defence, as he was just too hot to handle. A calm and composed finish saw us take the game 3-1, amd move us up into fifth - however temporarily that may be. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Asara, Orellana, Andreazzoli, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Rønning (Makela 69), Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

Despite Mancini's job being on the line as a result of Lazio's poor form, the Biancocelesti have a cracking side, but in the Olimpico they've had a mixed time. We go in with one change, as Doukas returns against the side bidding for him.

Lazio 2

Pavesi 11

Pellicori 29

Varese 1

Santos 19

Lazio dominated and deserved to win in the balance of things. After eleven minutes Denis Pavesi broke clear of our young defence and lifted the ball comfortably over Stekelenburg. Mancini's side didn't hold that lead for long. Every so often in a season Carlos Alberto Viera Dos Santos has a rich run of form whic results in goals aplenty. His fourth in three games arrived in similar fashion to Pavesi's opener. The Brazilian was put through, and he rippled the large net of the Curva Sud. Lazio were ahead again within much time, as Alessandro Pellicori rose highest to head in. In all it was a pretty poor game for a Sunday night live match, as after that Lazio, with the exception of a few attempts, were content to shut up shop. We, on the other hand, had nothing to show for any feeble attempts we created - of which there were very few. It's not so bad in the shape of things, but bearing in mind there's still a hard run of matches remaining I'm looking to get as many points as possible in the 'easier' games.

Team: Stekelenburg, Asara, Orellana, Andreazzoli, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Dobek (Mina 77), McPhee, Alexiou

• Administrators

Milan haven't lost a single game in Serie A this season. Moreover, we are yet to take a solitary point off them in five previous encounters. So their world class attack against our shaky defence doesn't fill me with confidence. Which is why I've instructed the side to get a couple of early goals as insurance.

Varese 1

McPhee 3

Milan 3

Kutuzov 22

Shevchenko 35

Pirlo 80

The result was inevitable, but at least we put up some sort of fight. We even struck first. Stephen McPhee is all but matching Andrii Shevchenko goal for goal this season, and his nimble footwork and ferocious shot past Pini to give us an unexpected lead. Which we managed to hold for quite a while. Ambrosini hit the post, Shevchenko tapped wide of a half-open goal, but eventually they got their goal. Vitaly Kutuzov. The Belarus international beat Stekelenburg in the air (unfairly I might add) and headed past him into the empty goal. Shevchenko then showed why he is such quality. He burst through our defence and unleashed an unstoppable effort from twenty yards into the corner. It didn't stop us coming forwards. Christian Vieri, finally fit, came on in the second half and caused problems. His chip to Alexiou saw the Greek's overhead kick thud off the crossbar icon_frown.gif . Andrea Pirlo's 80th minute goal finally killed us off, and the best side in the league continue their march onwards. The defeat doesn't worry me too much.

Team: Stekelenburg, Asara, Orellana, Andreazzoli, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Dobek (Vieri 45), McPhee, Alexiou

I think Napoli annoy me moreso than any other side. We've proved we can beat them - and comprehensively - but they consistently get under my skin with the way they can be in relegation trouble but still pose a threat. Christian Vieri starts up front on a very rare occasion as I believe he'll suit our game better today.

Napoli 2

Recoba 10

Lodesani 45

Recoba missed pen 56

Varese 1

McPhee 5

Once again ------> icon_mad.gif . Napoli, in relegation bother, were able to absolutely control proceedings to inflict our third straight defeat upon us. It came after a fantastic start for us. A long ball was not cleared properly, but before Ivo Iaconi's side could react, Stephen McPhee unleashed a first time shot from thirty yards that dipped and swerved past the shell-shocked Coppola. It triggered a thought that today could be our day. How wrong I was. Five minutes later a goal almost as good as McPhee's levelled the match. Alvaro Recoba dribbled across the midfield before curling a low attempt just past Stekelenburg's despairing dive. Freddie Ljungberg and Nicola Orru started to dictate how the game was panning out, as Napoli forced the issue. On the stroke of half time Man-of-the-Match Enrico Lodesani headed in the eventual winner, as once more we fell asleep during the end of the half. Napoli even had a chance to make it 3-1 in the second half. Enrico Lodesani dived to win a penalty, and it was compounded by Cavalcante's booking. Recoba's penalty was, however, saved by Stekelenburg. Scant consolation though, as three consecutive defeats is totally unacceptable.

Team: Stekelenburg, Asara, Orellana, Andreazzoli, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Vieri (Dobek 45), McPhee, Alexiou

• Administrators

Last season's equivalent of this fixture finished 6-5 to Bologna. To avoid a fourth straight defeat, and a similar result, Igor Tcherevchenko replaces Renzo Andreazzoli, who is tired, which has effected his performances. Roberto Javier Mina replaces Mateusz Dobek too.

Varese 1

McPhee 63

Bologna 0

Ronaldinho sent off 89

One of the most nerve-wracking games of the season, as it was one I've marked down as a must-win after the recent form (and lack off). It took something special to win it too. Before that arrived, the game was intense. Abbondanzieri kept out McPhee's bobbling effort, and Stekelenburg did something similar from Chumachenko's effort. Domenico Asara headed Cipriani's header off the line on twelve minutes. On the brink of 45 minutes, Santos ran through but sent his attempt skidding wide. Six minutes after half time things crashed and burned. A cross from Ronaldinho was finished by Cipriani, but a reprieve was handed to us as he was found offside. Immediately, Chumachenko thundered a piledriver just wide. Then the winner arrived. Mina was tripped on his way through, right on the edge of the area. Stephen McPhee stepped up and curled the ball into the net with Abbondanzieri left rooted to the spot. It was a lovely way to reach twenty for the season. It was a very nervous ending to the game, which showed on the pitch. Ronaldinho's outrageous lunge on compatriot Santos was worthy of the red card Gabriele Husic dished out. Thankfully, we claimed the win and ended the horrible rut we were in. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Asara, Orellana, Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Mina, McPhee, Alexiou

It's about time I was showing you a table icon_smile.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

************************************************************************************************

Italian Serie A - Sunday 21st February 2010

************************************************************************************************

================================================================================================

2009/0 Table

================================================================================================

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Milan 23 10 1 0 25 8 10 2 0 20 6 63

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Roma 23 12 0 0 37 8 6 2 3 24 13 56

3rd Inter 23 9 2 1 21 7 5 1 5 11 13 45

4th Parma 23 5 3 3 13 8 7 2 3 21 8 41

5th Lecce 23 6 2 3 15 7 5 4 3 12 8 39

6th Venezia 23 7 2 2 18 11 4 3 5 12 19 38

7th Lazio 23 4 2 5 13 11 6 3 3 18 13 35

8th VARESE 23 6 2 3 24 19 4 2 6 26 25 34

9th Juventus 23 6 3 2 13 5 3 4 5 10 12 34

10th Bologna 23 3 7 2 18 15 2 2 7 12 22 24

11th Udinese 23 4 3 4 11 11 2 3 7 11 19 24

12th Perugia 22 4 3 5 13 15 2 3 5 3 13 24

13th Atalanta 23 3 6 3 10 10 2 2 7 9 19 23

14th Napoli 23 5 1 5 16 14 1 4 7 14 28 23

15th Salernitana 22 3 3 5 13 16 2 4 5 12 18 22

16th Bari 23 4 2 6 16 22 1 3 7 7 23 20

17th Cagliari 23 3 2 7 12 23 2 2 7 6 15 19

18th Sampdoria 23 0 4 8 11 26 0 2 9 8 25 6

</pre>

• Administrators

A win against Parma would take us within three points of fourth place, which entails a Champions League place, and currently occupied by Parma. We claimed a 2-0 win in the Tardini a few weeks back, and I'd accept a similar result. In the only change to the side that beat Bologna, Renzo Andreazzoli returns ahead of Tcherevchenko.

Varese 1

Dobek 66

Andreazzoli injured 53

Parma 2

Adriano 33, 41

Instead of being within three points of Parma, we're back in a rather disappointing ninth position and ten points behind Parma. This occurs because today we were simply not good enough. Nothing to do with effort or quality, simply that Parma are a better side - something we have to accept - for now. Statistics will show that the match was pretty equal in terms of posession and shots, but Parma had that something which took the points. Adriano. Parma's first goal was a sublime move involving Diana, Jankulovski and Di Michele before Adriano nudged the ball over Stekelenburg. The Brazilian wasted another attempt soon after before doubling the tally with a header from Marchionni's cross. Adriano beat Asara in the air and sent the ball past the Dutch keeper. Young Andreazzoli went off injured eight minutes into the second half with a badly twisted knee, and he'll be out for three weeks. The double change which followed changed the game. Dobek replaced Mina, and had the desired impact. A sweeping move culminated in Santos giving the Polish international the chance to score what turned out to be a consolation. Luciani made a fine stop from Santos to retain the points, which may condemn us to more midtable mediocrity. icon_frown.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Asara, Orellana, Andreazzoli (Tcherevchenko 53), Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Mina (Dobek 53), McPhee, Alexiou

Taking last week's defeat at Parma into consideration, we have to win in Udine today. We scored five here last season, but I somewhat doubt that will be repeated. A makeshift defence is required, as Orellana is suspended and Andreazzoli injured. Tcherevchenko and Lewis play, plus Dobek returns up front in place of Mina.

Udinese 1

Pinga 2

Varese 3

McPhee 53, 78

Alexiou 60

This was the perfect definition of a match of two halves, and how one change can make a world of difference. Udinese took barely two minutes to find a way through our desperately weakened defence (which, no matter how hard I endeavour to strengthen still looks as strong as a wet paper house) as Pinga was allotted time and space to beat Stekelenburg from twenty yards. A lot more came from them in an attacking sense. Artem Kontsevoy was very potent, as Greg Lewis in particular couldn't handle him - the Australian was very very poor. I needed something at half time. Lewis was replaced with Asencio, and after discussions with my captain, Claudio Cavalcante slotted into central defence. Never has a change had such an impact. Suddenly our play was fluid and sharp, and the defence almost watertight. It showed at the business end of the field. Substitute Asencio dribbled along the right channel before selecting a cross to which McPhee glanced a header past Alex Ramos. A similar attack gave us a lead. Santos, this time, went endeavouring down the right, and his near post cross was pounced upon by Alexiou. Asencio was playing like a man possessed. His dribble and consequential effort which thumped off the crossbar was inspired. The Argentinian crossed from the opposite wing to give McPhee (who isn't the tallest of players by the way) a chance to score our third header of the afternoon. He did. icon_smile.gif It keeps us in contention - but only just because of our tough run in.

Team: Stekelenburg, Asara, Lewis (Asencio 45), Tcherevchenko, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

It certainly gives me food for thought about future selections, as Cavalcante was fantastic in defence, as he reads the game so well and marshalls just as sufficiently. Pablo Asencio had his best 45 minutes for a long long time too.

• Administrators

Venezia visit sitting one place and one point above us. A win could conceivably move us into sixth place. I decide to go in with Cavalcante at centre back with Orellana to his right, and Asencio in the middle of the park. Mina replaces the suspended Alexiou, in what is a must win.

Varese 1

Mina 45

Venezia 1

G.Lombardi 90

*This* close. We were quite literally seconds away from a win which would have boosted our European plans hugely, but a momentary lapse cost us. The first half was all about ourselves. The new compact look and feel was paying off in everything except managing to score a goal. McPhee could not have physically done more to try and score, but it simply wouldn't come off. Mirko Paluzzi in the visiting goal had a fantastic, almost unbeatable, afternoon. Almost, because in first half stoppage time a cross from Domenico Asara found Roberto Javier Mina's head, and the Ecuadoran scored the opener. It looked for so long as if it were to be the winner. It was only in the last five minutes Venezia ventured forwards out of desperation. We managed to hold out well - except in the 93rd minute. A low cross was fizzed in, and young striker Gianluca Lombardi scored his first ever goal for Venezia. icon_frown.gif You can't begin to feel how gutted the result makes me. We're into seventh - above Lazio and Juventus, but more importantly behind Venezia, Lecce and Parma - those we need below us.

Team: Stekelenburg, Asara, Cavalcante©, Orellana, Franzese, Asencio, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Mina

Our game against Lecce has been moved in order for it to be shown on television on Saturday night. Delio Rossi's side have only conceded eight goals at home this season, so it's a tall order to get something against one of the best sides around. Alexiou returns from suspension, but otherwise the team is unchanged, as Cavalcante fits in defence once more, partially because of Asencio's impressive run.

Lecce 1

Marchesi 11

Teani sent off 3

Varese 6

McPhee 1

Doukas 12

Alexiou 14

Dobek 35

Asencio 49

Santos 51

Asencio injured 77

This is the exact definition of the complete performance. We were simply uncontainable - nothing Lecce offered stopped us notching up six goals. Another first minute goal from Stephen McPhee got us off to a fine start. Dobek's swinging shot was only parried by Abbiati, and McPhee was on hand to be the potent goal snatcher he is. Things went from bad to worse for Lecce. Captain Marco Teani received the first red card of his professional career for pushing McPhee over as the Scot was through on goal. Surprisingly, Lecce went and equalised. Tommaso Marchesi ran onto Di Cristo's layoff to rifle in the leveller. The Giallorossi knew they had to sit back and try and contain us, but they failed miserably. A few seconds later we won a corner. Cavalcante swung towards McPhee, and as Abbiati saved the attempt, Stilianos Doukas scored from the rebound for a surprise goal. We were cooking on full gas by now, and only two minutes later we made it 3-1. Everyone seemed to be involved, but the most important part saw Asencio roll Alexiou in for the Greek striker to clip in his 15th goal of the season. Twenty minutes passed before we found the net again, but it was worth the wait. Seconds after McPhee hit the bar, Asencio crossed for Dobek to hit a spectacular header past Abbiati. The next goal was made in Argentina. Daniel Orellana showed nimble feet to work a position for Pablo Asencio to break through and sent the fifth past Abbaiti. icon_smile.gif Asencio was involved in the sixth and final goal. He gave Alexiou a chance, but the attempt was saved. Santos was onto it in a flash and had an empty net to make the scoreline 1-6. icon_cool.gif Mateusz Dobek even found time to hit the post with another header. Pablo Asencio had the perfect match, except a knee injury which will sideline him for two weeks. What a fabulous result!

Team: Stekelenburg, Asara, Cavalcante©, Orellana, Franzese, Asencio (Santi 77), Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

• Administrators

We have what I consider to be a half decent record against Juventus. A last minute goal and a controversial penalty did for us in Turin on the last two games, and we ran La Vecchia Signora over 3-0 on the last day last season. My midfield is reshaped, as Franzese joins Asencio on the injured list. Santi and Lewis come in.

Varese 2

McPhee 32

Dobek 73

Juventus 2

Pazzini 45

Trezeguet 49

A draw isn't the worst result, as for a while we could have walked off with nothing. We dominated the opening exchanges, with Juve keeper Pegolo forced into a number of saves - one world class stop from Alexiou was unbelievable. We took the lead on thirty-two minutes, as Doukas planted the ball onto McPhee's head to score his seventh in eight games. If we could have taken the lead into half time we may well have won, but unfortunately Giampiero Pazzini (who I considered buying in the summer) headed past a rooted Stekelenburg. To make matters worse David Trezeguet scrambled in a second shortly after the restart. Thankfully for us, Ranieri instructed his side to sit back, which allowed us to take a more adventurous outlook. It paid off seventeen minutes from time as Dobek dribbled brilliantly to sear a shot past Pegolo. A decent draw in all.

Team: Stekelenburg, Asara, Cavalcante©, Orellana, Lewis, Santi, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

Our run in is pretty tough:

Roma Away (2nd in table)

Inter Home (3rd)

Salernitana Away (12th)

Perugia Home (10th)

Atalanta Away (15th)

Bari Home (14th)

The last three could be the most crucial, as long as we make something from the first three.

I fully expect Roma to beat us this afternoon. After all, their quality is such that we shouldn't pose much of a threat. Shouldn't. We are also without Asencio, Franzese, and now McPhee for three weeks. Orellana plays through the pain barrier.

Roma 2

Piper 11 pen

Cavenaghi 21

Varese 0

At least we were able to come out of this with some respect. Roma started as I had expected - looking to pile in the goals against a defence known to leak goals. Their first needed to come from the penalty spot. Stekelenburg brought Eder Bau down, and Matty Piper stroked in his tenth of the season. The greatest striker in the world then made it twenty Serie A goals for the season, as Fernando Cavenaghi dribbled through powerfully and clipped in. We did pretty well - as well as we could - but Roma are just too superior, especially at home. They had a third disallowed as Luizao was just offside for a header. We went down the other end, and Alexiou finished nicely in front of the Curva Nord, only to also feel the wrath of the linesman's flag. The defeat may just see the end of feint Champions League hopes, as eleven points in five games is tough to make up - but not impossible.

Team: Stekelenburg, Asara, Cavalcante©, Orellana, Lewis (Mina 70), Rønning, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, Vieri (Makela 70), Alexiou

• Administrators

We have a half decent record at home to Inter, and we must get something from them today. Bar McPhee, I have the strongest side I can name available. Makela replaces Vieri.

Varese 2

Franzese 63 pen

Santos 75

Inter 2

Leiva 41

Veron 60

Frey sent off 63

A point was a God-send here after the start we made, and how it looked eventually. Inter were all over us in the first half, but we were able to hold off everything the Nerazzuri threw our way. Until the fourty-first minute. A low corner somehow found its way to Max Leiva, and we were deservedly behind. Cupér's side came out even better in the second half, and doubled the advantage from Juan Seba Veron's timed volley. Then things went our way. Sebastien Frey took Alexiou down in the area, and was subsequently dismissed. Poor planning on Inter's part meant they didin't have a replacement to bring on, leaving Nicola Ventola to go in goal. His first task was to fish Franzese's penalty out of the net. Sensing blood, we surged forwards, as their goalkeeper was suspect to say the least. Their defence wasn't though. Santos equalised after we cut through and beat Ventola, who looked like a rabbit in front of headlights. We weren't able to get an winner, which means our Champions League dreams are gone for another season, but a UEFA Cup place is far from out of reach.

Team: Stekelenburg, Asara, Cavalcante©, Orellana, Asencio, Franzese, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, Makela (Mina 57), Alexiou

Lecce chief Delio Rossi contacts me this morning. He opens with pleasantries, congratulating us on our recent 6-1 demolition of his side. icon_biggrin.gif Business then gets going, as he offers £220,000 for my reserve team goalkeeper Sandro Liberti. Many of the backroom staff rate the youngster, but personally I don't see their way, and in truth I can't reject much money right now. I tell Rossi he may have a deal, and head off to inform Liberti of the news.

It appears that Liberti has accepted a move to Lecce. He'll leave when the transfer window opens, and I, hopefully, will be the recipient of some money. icon_smile.gif

Since Fabio Brini took over, Salernitana have been a less attacking side, but that doesn't take anything away from the danger they have. Mina plays ahead of Makela in the continued absence of McPhee, who should be fit for the final three games.

Salernitana 1

Favero 74

Varese 1

Asara 6

If anything we scored too early. Six minutes in Santos' corner was headed in by Domenico Asara for the youngsters first ever career goal. If the goal had arrived midway through the half we may have held out. In any event, we should have scored a few more. Alex Brunner had a fine day in the home goal, as he made saves from each of our front three, and then some. The second half told the same story. Alexiou was running the show, as he was both creating and attempting to finish. One attempt shaved the post, another forced an amazing save from Brunner. Time was running out, but not quick enough, as with just sixteen minutes remaining Matteo Favero shot speculatively from the edge of the area, and the ball travelled past an unsighted Stekelenburg. A point keeps us in the hunt for a UEFA Cup spot, especially with a relatively easy run in.

Team: Stekelenburg, Asara, Cavalcante©, Orellana, Asencio, Franzese, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, Mina (Makela 84), Alexiou

• Administrators

Perugia have been comfortable in mid-table obscurity since their promotion, and although they shouldn't offer a tough task they do have the quality to pose us some questions. McPhee is fit to return to lead the line, so Mina makes way.

Varese 4

Santos 6

McPhee 7, 45

Asara 56

Dobek injured 45

Perugia 1

Román 40

A comprehensive win is just the tonic for two remaining matches against sides battling the drop. We needed an early goal against a rather zesty Perugia side, and we got two. The first was a typical Santos goal. The Brazilian playmaker set out on a run, beat some defenders, before slotting into Indiveri's corner to make it a round fifteen for the season. Before Perugia had time to think, we were two ahead. Asencio received the ball wide, and delivered a perfect cross for Stephen McPhee. He headed in his 100th league career goal. We started to look irrestistable. Indiveri made sabes from Alexiou, McPhee and Orellana as we seeked to put the match beyond the Umbrians. We were given a shock five minutes before half time as Spanish striker José María Román scored a delightful goal to bring Perugia right back into it. Mateusz Dobek was then taken off injured, but he should be fine - it was a small knock. Seconds later Santos' corner met McPhee's head, and he continued a career-best season with his 26th in all competitions, and nineteenth in Serie A. The second half was in our control, as we managed to kill the game with a fourth. Another Santos corner headed towards Domenico Asara. The centre back swung his left foot at the ball, and it rippled the net! Two in two for the unassuming centre back. icon_smile.gif With Lecce and Lazio facing tougher run-ins, it's highly likely we could make fifth place. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Asara, Cavalcante©, Orellana, Asencio, Franzese, Doukas, Santos, Dobek (Mina 45), McPhee, Alexiou

Atalanta, despite being in a poor position, have some breathtaking talent. We'll have to be at our very best to get something from Bergamo. Makela plays in place of the injured Dobek.

Atalanta 1

Gatti 87

Varese 2

McPhee 63

Asara 90

Domenico Asara may have just become one of this clubs heroes. An injury time winner which keeps us in with a shout of a UEFA Cup place. The first half was a mixed affair as both sides cancelled each other out. In the sixth minute Massimo Donati had a header ruled offside. Rolando Bianchi was the Nerazzurri's best player, and on 36 minutes he too had a goal disallowed in similar fashion. Santos was as busy as ever on our part. At half time I told the team to keep it tight and try to nab a goal - but the way we play that never looked likely. Three minutes after the hour we stole the goal I so craved. Santos created the opening for McPhee, who saw Atalanta keeper La Notte advancing. He lobbed the Italian to perfection to give us a lead. icon_smile.gif With three minutes left I thought we had had the game cruelly snatched from within our grasp. Scotti shifted the ball to Fabio Gatti, who smashed past Stekelenburg. I could sense my lot were crushed, but when he was needed, Claudio Cavalcante picked them up for one last hurrah. And what a hurrah. Santos endeavoured to earn a corner. Taken by the Brazilian himself, he planted it onto Asara's free head for the defender's third goal in as many games, to take three vital points. icon_biggrin.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Asara, Cavalcante©, Orellana, Asencio, Franzese, Doukas, Santos, Makela, McPhee, Alexiou

We only have sixth place to challenge for now, since Lecce managed to claim a 2-1 win in Roma of all places. I guess that shows how great our 6-1 win in Lecce was. Lazio have a home game against Bologna, in which they must win to guarantee sixth spot. We have Bari at the Franco Ossola, and we also need to rely on Bologna doing us a favour. It will be dramatic, as Bari themselves need a win to avoid dropping to Serie B.

• Administrators

The last day of the season always has a certain element of tension and excitement about it. Even moreso if the team involved still has something to play for. Nowhere in Serie A has more riding on the outcome of one game than our match at home to Bari. If we win, there's the possibility of a place in the UEFA Cup (which believe me, is a major achievement for us, having only been in Serie A two years), which is a direct route as opposed to the Inter-Toto route. Bari need a win to have a chance of survival. If we live up to our part, we need a favour from Bologna. Giuseppe Pillon's side are horribly inconsistent, and have a pathetic record at the Olimpico - without a win in ten matches there. I'll be keeping touch with events there, by way of my scout Luciano Canala. On our side, Mateusz Dobek returns for the big match. Can we do it?..........

Varese 3

Santos 1

Doukas 8

Alexiou 35

Bari 1

Stefani 71

We lived up to our part, with a comprehensive first half performance. In the very first minute, Santos got us off to the perfect start by taking advantage of some poor defending to score his sixteenth of the season. Seven minutes later we doubled the lead in fine style. We were awarded a free kick around 25 yards out. Stilianos Doukas curled an effort low and hard into the bottom right hand corner, beating Mario Cassano. icon_smile.gif Bari looked like a team already relegated, as we swarmed over them desperate to secure our side of the bargain. Santos and McPhee both came agonisingly close to doing the job. After supplying endless chances, Roberto Franzese finally found someone who could finish his work. He gave Christos Alexiou the rather simple task of rolling the ball into an unguarded net for his sixteenth of the campaign. Going into half time, I was fully aware of developments down South in Rome......

......The first half of Bologna vs Lazio was a one sided affair, but ended with a scoreline which suggested far from that. Quite expectedly, Lazio came out looking for a lead to which they could cling to. Andrea Rabito came close for Mancio's men, and Denis Pavesi forced a half-decent save from Pompei. On twenty five minutes though, things went in our favour. Prete's free kick was headed in by Claudio Pizarro. icon_smile.gif Lazio looked shocked, and went desperately after an equaliser. Pellicori (once) and Riihilahti (twice) hit vicious efforts well saved by Pompei. In injury time it became even better. Manolis Ligkos created an opportunity to cross, and Pizarro headed in the second. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif The half time whistle went in the perfect situation for us.

Back in Northern Italy, the players half knew the situation as the crowd were already celebrating, as supporters inevitably will. But I told them not to become complacent, as anything was still possible. Bari needed something, which they came to get from Menezes Guimaraes in particular. The Portuguese striker hit the post and shaved the bar early in the second half. Shortly after this, things became more tense for me, as my audio connections to Rome broke down. The last thing I heard was "Stefan Schulze's still going, and still! Can he score..." and then I lost it. The crowd suddenly started celebrating, and I had the jist that Bologna were 3-0 up in Lazio! icon_biggrin.gif Twenty minutes from time, Bari clawed a goal back from Riccardo Stefani. They pushed on, desperate to stay afloat, but time ran out. We won 3-1, thus upholding our end. The question was, could Bologna hold out?

• Administrators

YES! Aki Riihilahti pulled one back for the Biancocelesti, but against all odds, Bologna pulled a rabbit out of the bag and allowed us to leapfrog Lazio and secure a direct route back into the UEFA Cup, and with it valuable funds. The day was dramatic, even if only for a UEFA Cup place, but also a memorable one. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Asara, Cavalcante©, Orellana, Asencio, Franzese, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

The Final Table icon_smile.gif

Italian Serie A - Sunday 9th May 2010

2009/0 Table

1st C Milan 34 16 1 0 38 10 13 4 0 29 10 92

2nd Roma 34 14 0 3 43 13 9 3 5 30 16 72

3rd Inter 34 13 2 2 30 12 9 2 6 19 20 70

4th Parma 34 9 4 4 22 13 9 5 3 29 14 63

5th Lecce 34 8 3 6 21 17 7 6 4 18 14 54

6th VARESE 34 8 5 4 37 28 7 3 7 38 31 53

7th Lazio 34 8 2 7 23 16 7 4 6 23 21 51

8th Juventus 34 9 6 2 19 8 3 6 8 13 21 48

9th Venezia 34 8 5 4 22 17 4 5 8 15 26 46

10th Bologna 34 7 7 3 31 19 5 2 10 21 30 45

11th Napoli 34 8 2 7 25 16 2 7 8 20 34 39

12th Perugia 34 6 6 5 23 20 4 3 10 8 26 39

13th Atalanta 34 5 6 6 16 17 4 4 9 15 28 37

14th Salernitana 34 5 6 6 24 23 3 5 9 19 30 35

15th R Udinese 34 6 4 7 20 19 2 5 10 12 25 33

16th R Bari 34 5 3 9 20 29 4 3 10 14 31 33

17th R Cagliari 34 4 4 9 16 28 4 2 11 10 24 30

18th R Sampdoria 34 0 5 12 13 37 0 2 15 9 42 7

</pre>

The summer will certainly be a time of change. With so many of the squad reaching retirement, I will need to look for young, quality players who will shape the future of the club, both on the pitch and financially.

FIFA publish their official squad lists for the World Cup in Brazil, and a few Varese players will be gracing the tournament. Christos Alexiou is named in the Greek party, whilst Maarten Stekelenburg is named in the Holland squad.

• Administrators

It's time for a review of the season;

We have to be satisfied again with a season of good progress. Moving into the top six in Italy is a tough task to achieve, with only Parma doing it well in recent times. An automatic UEFA Cup place will allow us a summer of preparation (excluding those who will be in Brazil) for another season. People were still labelling us as candidates for a relegation spot back in August, as they thought our debut season was just a fluke. We showed them, as with some cracking early form we looked good for a Champions League spot. A horrid run in the winter (once again) put pay to that, but we showed great character in the last dozen games to make up some ground and qualify for the UEFA Cup, where we made good progress this year too. Varese's debut season in European competition ended in disappointment, but we'll be better for the experience.

For the first time in a couple of seasons Maarten Stekelenburg could not take his position between the sticks for granted. Francesco Toldo came in last summer and did well initially. But when Stekelenburg was needed, he showed he was number one, and some fantastic performances showed in both our league position and the awards given out by the FIGC. That said, Toldo did the business when needed too. The defence wasn't too bad this season, as we conceded the same total of goals as we did last season. The plus points come in the form of two emerging teenage centre backs. First to make an impression was Renzo Andreazzoli, who showed incredible endurance and ability for a seventeen year old in Serie A. Injuries also brought in Domenico Asara from the academy, and this lad can play. He looks like an accomplished player already, and should form our defence for years. Three goals in the last four games also helped our push for Europe immensely. Daniel Orellana took on a more leader-type role as the senior member of the back three, but aged 22 he is still learning too. When Claudio Cavalcante moved back into defence nearer the end of the season he revelled in his new role at first. Some shaky performances followed, but he seemed to enjoy it. For how long he'll stay there is anyone's guess. The more experienced names like Rønning, Tcherevchenko, and Gorini all helped in at points, but I think this season was a big one for the defence, which they passed well.

The midfield played very well, as ever. Claudio Cavalcante was the star for the opening months, as a four-goal haul against Napoli signalled his brilliance. Stilianos Doukas chipped in with crucial goals and thirteen assists, which was great, considering I was on the verge of selling him in January. Roberto Franzese had his best season for a while, reaching double figures as a top flight player for the first time. Pablo Asencio found it hard to break into the three man midfield until the New Year, but when he did he was immense, and showed he was not prepared to give his role away to anyone. His thirteen games yielded one goal and six assists, but more importantly only one defeat. Carlos Alberto Viera Dos Santos had his 'worst' season for a while, as he failed to reach 20 goals, but sixteen is not to be scoffed at, as the Brazilian dug us out of some big holes.

The strikeforce was more organised than last season. Dobek and Alexiou were in place for much of the season, as with last season, but this time we found the focal point in the middle. Dobek did very well, and although people will note that both his goals and assists were lower than last season, it evens out with the other players. Alexiou scored sixteen more for the club as he attempts to prove he is the best striker here. But that will be a hard crown to remove from Stephen McPhee. The diminutive Scot may not look like your typical centre forward, but 27 goals in 41 competitive games is brilliant. 33 goals in 46 Serie A games for Varese is a record almost unmatched by even the best there have ever been. A league goals-per-game average of 0.71 so far in his Varese career is quality, and if he can carry that forwards then he may be the best Serie A has ever had. Juho Makela's two goals came at crucial times, whilst Roberto Javier Mina managed a good return of five goals from ten starts and numerous sub appearances.

It should be pointed out that we managed fewer points than last season, and fewer goals. All that matters however is that we finished two places higher in the table. A productive summer should lead to a revitalised Varese for the 2010/11 season, and hopefully we can take the big step into the Champions League by this time next year! icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

Let us take a review of the major European happenings....

Here in Italy Milan went through an entire league season unbeaten, something unrivalled in its time. Dropping just ten points is no surprise for Ancelotti's squad of world beaters. Roma, with the irrepressible Cavenaghi, finished in second for the fifth straight season. Inter improved on sixth last season to make third spot, a clear seven points from Parma, who despite only finishing fourth have made an automatic Champions League place as they won this year's European Cup with a 2-1 win over Celtic in London's Wembley Stadium. It's been an amazing twenty years for the Emilia side, culminating with this outstanding achievement. Lecce and Varese take the UEFA Cup places. Udinese, Bari, Cagliari and Sampdoria all make the familiar trip down to Serie B, whilst returning from the nether regions are Brescia, Como, Vicenza, and Torino.

The English Premiership title belongs to Liverpool for the fourth straight year. A twelve point margin from second placed Sunderland meant Houllier's men had the league sewn up a long time before winning the Champions League in a 1-0 win over Inter to complete a fantastic double. Man Utd and Chelsea take the remaining European Cup places, as Chelsea drew 2-2 with Forest on the last day to do enough to deny the Nottingham side, and reduce them to a UEFA Cup spot. Middlesbrough, Charlton and Sheffield United found the season too tough to stay afloat, with West Ham, Blackburn, and Tottenham all making welcome returns to the top flight.

After a shaky start, Barcelona took an eight straight title in Spain. Javier Saviola is quite unstoppable, and it showed as Barca continue their amazing feat. Betis againn finished second, for the fifth time in eight years, a point ahead of Real Madrid. Mallorca stole ahead of Deportivo to make the Champions League qualifiers that come with fourth place. Real Sociedad are relegated for the first time in their history, as Gonzalo Arkonada was proven to be the wrong man for the job. Sevilla and Las Palmas join them on the way down, but times are brighter for Basque rivals Bilbao, who are Champions of the Segunda Division, and are joined in promotion by Elche and Albacete.

Quite amazingly, Nantes won the title in France. Nothing to do with their side, as the canaries have talent in depth. Nor Bordeuax in second place. Amazing because Lyon finished third. Striker Javier Portillo scored 41 goals in his 35 league games, whilst Sinama-Pongolle managed eighteen in total. However, it was Nantes who took the title as Lyon just couldn't defend. Laval, Valenciennes, and Saint-Etienne go down, and up are Guingamp, Troyes, and Istres. Special mention to Paris Saint Germain, who avoided a third straight relegation by finishing three points from the drop zone in the French National League.

Dortmund retained the Bundesliga crown in Germany after a dramatic collapse by Bayern Munich. A better end to the season from Hitzfeld's side may have seen them take the crown, but Dortmund held on. Leverkusen made third, ahead of Stuttgart and Union Berlin. Unterhaching, Cottbus, and Bremen go down, whilst returning to Bundesliga 2 are Bochum, Hamburg, and Borussia MGB.

• Administrators

Once again it's the time where Awards are given out icon_smile.gif

FIFA World Player of the Year - Juan Roman Riquleme (Barcelona)

World Footballer of the Year - Hernan Jorge Crespo (Bayern Munich)

Serie A Manager of the Year - Carlo Ancelotti (Milan)

Serie A Player of the Year - Fernando Cavenaghi (Roma)

Serie A Young Player of the Year - Claudio Cioffi (Atalanta)

Serie A Defender of the Year - Luciano Zauri (Milan)

Serie A Goalkeeper of the Year - Maarten Stekelenburg (Varese)

Serie A Top Goalscorer - Andriy Shevchenko (Milan, 23 goals)

Serie A Italian Player of the Year - Massimo Bonanni (Salernitana)

Serie A Foreign Player of the Year - Andriy Shevchenko (Milan)

For the second consecutive season, Maarten Stekelenburg was named as the best goalkeeper in Italy - and he deserves it after earning his spot ahead of Francesco Toldo. The Dutchman is also named amongst the team of the season. Stephen McPhee's 20 goals (27 in all competitions) took him to third place in both the top goalscorer award and Foriegner of the Year. The Scot was named amongst the subs in Team of the Season.

More Awards;

European Footballer of the Year - Adrian Mutu (Parma)

European Goalkeeper of the Year - Gianluigi Buffon (Barcelona)

European Defender of the Year - Wilfried Bouma (Barcelona)

European Midfielder of the Year - Adrian Mutu (Parma)

European Striker of the Year - Raul (Dortmund)

McPhee was voted Fans Player of the Season icon_smile.gif

As the transfer window reopens it's business as usual here with the regular comings and goings. Out go Juho Makela to Venezia for £3.8m, Sandro Liverti to Lecce for £220k, and Emanuele Calaio to Ascoli for £1.2m. In is Valeri Emilov Bojinov, a Bulgarian striker known for being the youngest player to ever score in Serie A, aged just 15 when scoring for Lecce way back in 2001. He can finish, and has a great work rate. Bojinov is a useful addition. I also now have £5m to strengthen the dquad with - but wisely, as the money needs to last.

The new fixtures list presents us with a tough opening day. We have to travel to Inter. The plus side is that they won't be in full flow, and need time to gel. Hopefully we can avoid defeat. This is followed by the tough Brescia and Atalanta. I really don't think there are any easy games in Serie A anymore.

After their interest in Silianos Doukas back in early 2010, Lazio call this morning interested in my captain, Claudio Cavalcante. Roberto Mancini said he is able to offer £9m for my captain. That's a huge sum of money, but my captain is some player. If Mancio can meet me at £12m, then I'll listen.

Lazio give up on Cavalcante, but do register their interest at a lower price.

As I arrive at work this Monday morning I receive bids from Inter and Lazio for Stilianos Doukas, both offering £7.75m. This would be an ideal time to accept, but if either side can match me on £8.75m plus £625,000 after ten games then they are in business.

In the meanwhile talks with Nantes about their championship-winning centre back Mario Yepes are fruitful. Nantes accept my offer of £775k, and Yepes seems interested in moving here to shore up the defence.

• Administrators

Mario Yepes is now a Varese player. icon_smile.gif The Colombian international of 92 caps is 34, whic goes somewhat against my usual policy, but the availability of an experienced quality centre back is something I couldn't turn down. He's perfect, as he can inspire the younger players here too - especially Asara and Andreazzoli.

Lazio and Inter reject the negotiations for Doukas.

Lazio return with a bid of £8.75m for Doukas. Obviously they want him, and I can play on this. I hold out for another million - half up front, half after ten games. If they want him they can have him.

Spartak Gogniev of Chievo has apparently announced that his agent has completed a deal to take him here, for £7.75m icon_eek.gif - even if he was any good I wouldn't pay that, and I don't rate the Russian, so that's news to me! icon_biggrin.gif

Roma make me laugh with a paltry bid of £2.7m for Orellana. Hahahaha.

Today I complete the deal for 37 year old Sami Hyypia. The legendary Finnish centre back has long been a target of mine, and age seems to be no barrier for him, as he has pulled out cracking consistent performances for as long as anyone can remember. Hopefully our defence will be stronger for his presence.

The first round of the UEFA Cup is drawn today. We meet Hungarian legends Kispest-Honvéd, with the first leg at the Franco Ossola. My scouts are on the way to watch them and compile a comprehensive report.

In the afternoon a story breaks that apparently Daniel Orellana has spoken of an agreed move to Roma. Astonished, I call the defender into my office to get his side of things. Daniel believes he may have been misquoted, but nonetheless, he has been careless. I warn him for his actions. I also find a few of the established squad members are far from happy with him, which throws a spanner in the works.

• Administrators

Daniel Orellana has really upset our preparations for the opening day clash at Inter. Animosity towards him is still high, but UI need his qualities for today's match. Bojinov starts up front, whilst Yepes and Hyypia make their debuts in defence.

Inter 2

Ventola 29

Poulsen 64 pen

Varese 1

Santos 57

Despite a defeat, which I always try to avoid on the opening day, we can take heart from the fact it took a penalty to beat us off. We started quite brightly, as Bojinov's trickery worried the Inter back line, and McPhee sent a volley dipping fractionally over the crossbar. Nonetheless, Inter have the quality to strike at any time, and they recovered enough to show their potency with Rosicky becoming the puppeteer. On the half hour Inter scored with the run of play. Dédé sped along the left and drilled a cross into the near post. Nicola Ventola beat Orellana to the ball and glanced a header past Stekelenburg. Unlike previous seasons, we were by no means dead and buried. The defence, whilst still gelling, looked competent, and in attack we were good. After holding out against much Éwerthon-inspired attack play from Inter, we equalised through our own Brazilian gem. Santos was released by McPhee, and after settling himself and lining up an attempt he beat Frey all ends up from an angle about fifteen yards out. We actually then sensed a win. However, Orellana was having a poor game, and he gave away a fair penalty seven minutes later which Christian Poulsen sent into the corner. Asara replaced the Argentinian, who was clearly upset by the treatment from his teammates and his performance. Dobek also arrived, just too late to get anything for us. Santos forced Frey into a desperate last-gasp stop, but we lost. Still, there are a number of positives to take from this.

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Hyypia, Orellana (Asara 77), Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Bojinov (Dobek 77), McPhee, Alexiou

Domenico Asara is called into the Albanian squad today. I suppose it's a good opportunity for him to play football for the country of his mother, but the chances of success are little. That said, he may never have played for Italy, so although he may be rushing into things after just eighteen games, I back his choice fully.

After a fourteen day international break we line up refreshed for our first home match of the season against Brescia. Valeri Emilov Bojinov continues up front after impressing for Bulgaria last week, and despite his 'problems' Daniel Orellana continues.

Varese 4

McPhee 24

Santos 41

Bojinov 48 pen

Alexiou 63

Brescia 0

If a performance could be modelled, then it should be on this. We were dangerous in attack, whilst strangely solid in defence. An early Alexiou volley signalled the intent. Stephen McPhee - fresh off a stunning week with Scotland - continued his form with a great opener. He took the ball up 35 yards out, and unleashed a bouncing shot past Luca Castellazzi, who was hopelessly out of position. The pressure continued, as Cavalcante and Bojinov forced Castellazzi into making some sort of amends for his earlier error. Santos then scored one of the finest goals I have ever had the priviledge to preside over. He took the ball forty yards from goal, and instantly beat Del Nevo. Anthony Seric was turned in amazing fashion, and Santos then rounded the keeper and rolled in for quite an exquisite goal. icon_cool.gif The second half started in a similar manner, as Alexiou found space only to be impeded. Valeri Bojinov took it upon himself to take the spot kick ahead of regular taker Franzese, but he sent it in with some aplomb. If anyone deserved a goal it was Alexiou, and just after the hour he got it. Franzese put a cross into space, and the Greek striker sent a message out to his national manager by scoring again. The defence looked more than capable, no small part due to Yepes, Hyypia, and the excellent form of Stekelenburg. It was probably the perfect day. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Hyypia, Orellana, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Bojinov, McPhee, Alexiou

• Administrators

Our second UEFA Cup campaign kicks off at home to Hungarian side Kispest-Hónved. I am forced into one change, as Daniel Orellana has a neck injury and will miss the match. Domenico Asara deputises.

Varese 2

Santos 14, 37

Kispest-Hónved 0

The game was considerably closer than I'd have thought or liked, but we will take a two goal lead to Hungary, which should just be enough. Once again, Viera Dos Santos was in such fantastic fettle. A nice passing move with Stilianos Doukas paved the way for him to open the scoring and score for the third match running. Doukas then himself hit the post before Santos doubled his tally and the lead. Doukas and Alexiou combined to give Santos carte blanche to smash in number two. It was never a defensive affair, as Hónved winger Sándor Bíró looked to be a talented player. He forced Stekelenburg into a couple of decent stops. Despite coming under some heavy pressure we came out relatively unscathed, and with another clean sheet to our name. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Hyypia, Asara, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Bojinov (Dobek 72), McPhee, Alexiou

Atalanta came so close to beating us at the Azzurri D'Italia last season, and a similar squad will cause trouble today. Mario Yepes has a slight niggle in his thigh, so Orellana returns.

Atalanta 1

Scotti 60

Varese 1

McPhee 33

Hyypia sent off 34

I should accept the draw as we played well, but I think had we been at full strength we would have taken this one. The early action belonged exclusively to us, as La Notte was called into action by Santos, McPhee, and Bojinov. We got the lead on 33 minutes when Alexiou passed McPhee in, and my main hitman scored another goal. From the restart Atalanta went forward, and Sami Hyypia's tug back on Romeo was considered a professional foul, and he was harshly dismissed. Yepes was called on to play through the injury barrier, and we played well enough, as the defence put up with what Atalanta threw forth. Bojinov came centimetres away from scoring just a matter of moments before Luigi Scotti rose to head in Baronio's swirling cross. Stekelenburg kept us in it during Atalanta's best spell, but a point will suffice as not everyone hit their peak today.

Team: Stekelenburg, Orellana, Hyypia, Asara, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Bojinov (Dobek 71), McPhee, Alexiou (Yepes 34)

After impressing at home against Brescia, I can only hope the form is replicated and continued against Vicenza. They caused us some problems in Serie B, but this is the first meeting of the sides in the top division. Yepes covers Hyypia, and Dobek gets his first start of the season. Gaetano Montanari, another teenage defender from the youth academy, steps up to the subs bench, after impressing in training and reserve outings.

Varese 4

Alexiou 15, 42

McPhee 32

Doukas 48 pen

Vicenza 0

We were almost as impressive as the Brescia game. Today was a little easier, as Vicenza offered little resistance, but it still takes effort and quality to break through in the style we did. Christos Alexiou opened the scoring after a quarter of an hour as Santos layed him in. A first time effort surprised Storari, but he would never have got there anyway, such was the pace and accuracy of the shot. After fifteen more minutes had gone by, we went two ahead. Dobek crossed, McPhee thumped a header, Storari was beaten. It was as simple as that. Before half time we had made it three. Dobek again supplied the ammunition, and Alexiou headed cooly past the floundering Vicenza keeper. The Polish striker was involved in the fourth goal as well. He threaded a ball onto Santos' foot. He was taken out by Zitolo, and Doukas sent the keeper the wrong way. It was a matter of holding onto just a four goal deficit for Vicenza then, as they wanted to save face. McPhee came close once or twice, but we were satisfied with our lot. I can't make up my mind as to who was the best player on the field, as they were all fantastic. Santos, Alexiou and Dobek were almost untouchable. Montanari came on for the last nine minutes and looked in control, as we kept another clean sheet. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Orellana (Montanari 81), Asara, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

• Administrators

The trip to Hungary will hopefully be a trouble-free one. We have a two goal lead, and any worries we may have of being overturned should be alleviated with an early away goal. In truth we are all but through already. Hyypia returns, which is timely as Asara is injured.

Kispest-Hónved 0

Varese 1

McPhee 3

Well, we did what was necessary, and we're in the hat for the draw for the second round. Stephen McPhee scored the goal which gave us the comfort zone required, and he did it early. The Scottish international hitman found time and space to slot easily past Zoltán Keleman. Mario Yepes came close to doubling the lead after running unchallenged from defence and sending in a shot which was always rising over. Gábor Sipos was causing problems for us from the Hónved midfield, but it was nothing we couldn't handle. A low key match it may have been, but we did the business and we're doing well.

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Hyypia, Orellana, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

The UEFA Cup second round draw pulls us out early. Our opponents will be Aberdeen of the Scottish Premier. It'll be harder than Hónved were, but not impossible. We are again at home first.

Our good form will be useless if we don't prove ourselves against the top sides over the next four games. We won 6-1 at Lecce last season, but that was a freak result and won't be re-enacted today. Bojinov's assets mean he will prove more of a threat to Lecce than Dobek, so the two swap.

Lecce 2

Vucinic 3

Brescia 63

Varese 1

Alexiou 32

Darn icon_mad.gif We didn't need to concede early, but Mirko Vucinic plundered a shot early past Stekelenburg. The rest of the first half was ours, as we looked to equalise and drag ourselves back into the game. And we got there too. A goalmouth scramble saw the ball arrive at Alexiou's feet, and he swept the ball past the grounded keeper. The match was slowly declining in quality, which suited our opponents, as we play the better football. However, Gianluca Brescia's 63rd minute header proved to be the winner for Delio Rossi's side, which is an undoubted blow to our run. Juve, Inter, and Lazio all follow in the coming weeks, and if we can't claim at least one win then there's no real point challenging, as Serie A is won by beating the best. If we can't do that, we don't deserve to be up there.

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Hyypia, Orellana, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Bojinov (Dobek 70), McPhee, Alexiou

I renew my interest in AEK striker Anastasios Skalidis, whom I lost out on a number of years back. He's still talented, and underused in Greece. Hopefully Alexiou can persuade him here, as he is a useful player to say the least.

Defensive midfielder Djibril Sidibe arrives on trial at the recommendation of my coach Giorgios Pomaski. The Malian international is quite good, and he's here for a week. I'll see how he gets on.

In the afternoon AEK confirm my £35k bid for Skalidis is acceptable, and we discuss terms via telephone. It seems Skalidis is reasonable, so we should get him. icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

Juventus have splashed out the best part of £30m in the past month, and as such they should expect to win as we visit the Delle Alpi. We can look back to decent performances there, but no wins. Asara is preferred to Orellana in defence.

Juventus 2

Colucci 6

Menezes Guimares 90

Varese 1

Santos 71

For the third season in a row we have lost to a late goal in Turin - and it feels worse today as we deserved to win. icon_frown.gif It looked ominous at the start as Giuseppe Colucci headed Juventus in front early on. But we deserved something, as the rest of the first half belonged to us. Alexiou hit the post, McPhee forced Pegolo into a good save. The second half was much the same story - Varese dominance, but Juve with an element of danger there. Woodthorpe and Espinal combined to almost conspire an opening, but the defence was holding out (again??! icon_biggrin.gif ) We finally drew level with a strike from Santos that left Pegolo clutching at air. We even looked like winning until injury time arrived, when our old foe from Bari, Carlos Menezes Guimaraes, drove a stake deep into out hearts to inflict a highly unfair defeat on us. It looked as if we needed a more clinical striker, and hopefully Skalidis will be able to provide this, should he eventually arrive. But for now we have lost a second game in a row and have more harder matches coming, so the feeling of gloom is pretty strong here. icon_frown.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Hyypia, Asara, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Bojinov, McPhee, Alexiou

Anastasios Skalidis is now a Varese player, and the third Greek in our side. He joins Alexiou and Doukas here, and should add a real spark to the attack. The lad can, should, and will score goals. The deal went through much quicker than expected, which is great. icon_smile.gif

Skalidis is ineligible for the UEFA Cup match at home to Aberdeen, but he is unveiled to a capacity crowd beforehand, who take him in with adulation. As for the game itself, I make one change - Dobek in for Bojinov.

Varese 3

Alexiou 28, 80

Doukas 83

Hyypia injured 88

Aberdeen 1

Tait 8

After a shaky first quarter to the match we got our act together and took a deserved win. I would have preferred not to concede an away goal, but Aberdeen clearly came to get one, and they grabbed it early. Sean Tait found himself inexplicably clear and took the chance we presented him with. Despite a much improved defensive unit we still concede the odd silly goal. We needed an equaliser quickly, and Alexiou scored it. Franzese delivered a cross, and my Greek striker (the original icon_biggrin.gif ) headed in. He almost doubled his and our tally with a glancing header to finish off a flowing move. It went just wide. Aberdeen still proved a little awake, so we needed to be aware, especially when Steven Doig nearly stole a free header on the hour. With ten minutes remaining I sent out the instruction to go all out, because with Aberdeen sitting tight on an away goal we needed to take an advantage back to Scotland. Almost instantly, Stilianos Doukas put a pass onto Alexiou's foot, and this time there was no mistake in beating Preece's dive. Three minutes later we had another. Doukas ran unchallenged for thirty yards, beat Doig on the edge of the area, and slammed in an important goal in the overall context. Whether the presence of the Greek Skalidis in the crowd spurred them on is unclear, but my Greek duo of Alexiou and Doukas were immense tonight. When I needed to call upon someone to take control, Doukas did, and Alexiou finished the work. It may just be enough to see our progression.

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Hyypia (Orellana 89), Asara, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Dobek (Bojinov 46), McPhee, Alexiou

Hyypia has a calf strain and is out for two weeks icon_frown.gif

After 42 games, Milan's unbeaten Serie A record has gone. Juventus, back on April 26th 2009, were the last side to beat them before Bologna did for them 2-0 tonight in Emilia. As ever, Manolis Ligkos was in on the goals, scoring one, and Giandomenico sealed it late.

• Administrators

Whilst I can't expect too much too soon, Skalidis is in the side and has promised a debut goal. Lazio are no mugs, and will be tough opponents, especially since Hyypia is out. Andreazzoli replaces him.

Varese 3

Alexiou 56

Skalidis 57, 75

Lazio 3

Ayala 8, 84

Pavesi 73

We really, really, should have held on for a win in what was an exciting, end-to-end match. Promising Argentine striker Marcelo Ayala had volleyed Lazio into an eighth minute lead that they looked comfortable on. Skalidis was taking a while to get into the pace of the action, but a 22nd minute volley way over showed his intentions. Alexiou should have scored on 37 minutes when faced with a gaping goal. Fabio Da Re somehow scrambled across to save in some style. The second half started in somewhat better fashion for us. A little over ten minutes into the period, Stephen McPhee sent in a cross that Alexiou pounced upon to head in his 50th League goal for Varese. icon_smile.gif Seconds later another Greek striker opened his account. The goal was all Greek. Doukas supplied Alexiou, who in turn crossed to the back post, where Skalidis arrived to head home and send the fans into raptures. It should have been the time to go on and wrap things up. We chose not to, and paid. On 73 minutes Denis Pavesi jinked his way through the defence and equalised with a fine goal. Yet within two minutes we were back ahead. McPhee did well to find space, and once again his cross was headed in. Skalidis timed the run to perfection to head in his second. This time we must have held on. But no icon_frown.gif . Ayala once again volleyed in an equaliser in an attempt to prove Skalidis was not the only talented striker on the pitch. A point is better than nothing, and an encouraging debut for the Greek, but we really should have won.

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Andreazzoli, Asara, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Skalidis, McPhee, Alexiou

We finally get drawn in the Coppa Italia Second Round. We are paired with Cagliari, a second division side who we comfortably beat last season. It should be relatively easy.

Milan have recently lost for the first time in 42 games, but still have the quality to turn anyone over. In the absence of Hyypia, I am forced to hand Gaetano Montanari a full debut in defence. It could be scary.

Milan 2

Dyer 81, 83

Varese 1

Alexiou 60

For the third straight game we do not win when we deserved to, and a late goal did for us again. icon_frown.gif I think we surprised Milan with the quality of our play, but that said, the home side had most of the pressure. Mario Yepes managed to keep a tight hold on Andriy Shevchenko, which is no mean feat, and Milan just couldn't get through. Kutuzov hit the post on eleven minutes, which looked ominous for us. Ten minutes before half time Domenico Asara mi**** a pass that almost lobbed Abbiati, but forced a fine stop from the Milan keeper. Despite not being a goal threat, Shevchenko was causing a few problems, as he showed at the start of the second half. However, as the hour mark arrived, we shocked the home side by taking a lead. Doukas caught the Milan back line out with a ball over the top which Alexiou managed to get to. Keeping his composure, Alexiou crashed us ahead. icon_smile.gif We actually looked like holding out for a famous win. Unfortunately, with nine minutes left, Kieron Dyer broke free and managed to squeeze the ball underneath Stekelenburg and score an equaliser. Still, I thought, a point is better than nothing. Which of course meant Milan scored again. Joe Cole crossed, and Dyer headed in to sink our brave resistance. icon_frown.gif Seconds later Christos Alexiou thumped the crossbar as it just summed up our luck. If nothing it shows how far we've come - that we can be disappointed at losing to Milan, in such a fashion that we didn't deserve to.

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Montanari, Asara, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Skalidis, McPhee, Alexiou

Two bids arrive on my desk this morning. Bologna look to snare Doukas for a paltry £5m. If they can double it they can take him. A more reasonable bid arrives from Kilmarnock. £3.5m is tabled for Per Verner Rønning. A nice sum, which I accept.

Rønning is now a Kilmarnock player, and we are £3.5m richer. Oh, and Bologna pull out of negotiations for Doukas. A nice all round day. icon_smile.gif Strangely, Rønning's last act is to travel to Scotland with us as we prepare for the match with Aberdeen.

• Administrators

Blanket - I look forward to reading icon_smile.gif

nerf - best of luck with Ragusa icon_smile.gif

back we go.....

Skalidis is cup-tied tonight as we look to progress past Aberdeen. Mario Yepes is also suspended, so the duo are covered by Mateusz Dobek and Daniel Orellana.

Aberdeen 0

Varese 1

Montanari 52

We did all we had to, and found a winning formula again. Aberdeen had their moments, but nothing which really worried us. Sean Tait, the scorer from the first leg, went close with the first attempt of the match, but that was about all from the home side. Doukas was pulling all the strings in the middle of the park, becoming the instigator of anything good, plus getting into goalscoring opportunities too. Five minutes before half time Domenico Asara cleared Tait's header off the line, but at half time we were level. I just told the team to hold on, perhaps score a goal, and come away with a place in the next round. In the 52nd minute we scored that goal I wanted. A scrambled corner looked as if Aberdeen had cleared the danger. The ball had fallen to Gaetano Montanari. The seventeen year old showed extreme composure to curve the ball into the far corner to give us the lead! icon_smile.gif Five minutes later Mateusz Dobek headed unfortunately back off the crossbar, but we were far more comfortable than before. Twenty minutes from time McPhee was denied a stunning goal by the crossbar. A chest control and instant snap-volley from thirty yards hummed along before slamming into the woodwork. That was it. We're through to the UEFA Cup Third Round for the second season in a row. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Orellana, Montanari, Asara, Franzese, Cavalcante©, Doukas, Santos, Dobek, McPhee, Alexiou

For the visit of Napoli I make Sami Hyypia the new captain. After discussions with Claudio Cavalcante, I discover he isn't happy with the extra weight of the captaincy any more, and Sami has the respect of the side. He also returns from injury, to join Yepes and Skalidis in rejoining the side.

Varese 1

Santos 28

Napoli 1

Saudati 15

Our form worries me as we're far too close to the relegation zone for my liking. A win would have put us up the table and further away from Napoli, but a draw is all we claimed. Perhaps more of an issue is the fact we were outplayed by our southern visitors. On fifteen minutes they took the lead through Luca Saudati. The former Milan man headed in at the back post from a poorly defended corner. Just before the half hour mark we drew level. Cavalcante played a knock down to Santos, and he volleyed in another goal. He is perhaps our most dependable asset, shown by his goalscoring consistency over the years. It should have been the signal to go on to win, but it never happens as you want. Skalidis is gaining match fitness every day, and will explode sooner rather than later. McPhee has gone cold but will come into his own around New Year, and Alexiou cannot be expected to do it all. Maarten Stekelenburg was the hero, saving too many attempts to mention, but one in particular from Ljungberg was special. The rest of the match was simply an affair of poor finishing and decent defending. We need a big win soon, or the mood will drop severely. icon_frown.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Hyypia©, Asara (Montanari 77), Franzese, Cavalcante, Doukas, Santos, Skalidis, McPhee, Alexiou

• Administrators

Despite Como being above us in the League I have targeted tonight's match as a game we can win, and comfortably too. It could serve as the kick we've been needing. I also make a couple of needed changes. Asara is rested, so Montanari is allowed to continue his progression, whilst Asencio replaces the rather out of sorts Cavalcante.

Varese 4

Santos 20, 39, 57

Skalidis 24

Como 0

As I had hoped, the game proved well within our reaches, and our quality shone through, in particular with stunning performances from the two goalscorers - Santos and Skalidis. After twenty minutes we scored the first of the night. Franzese squared a pass into Santos' feet, and my dependable Brazilian balanced himself before putting us ahead. Four minutes later it became two. Stilianos Doukas must be an assist machine. Some fine work on the right wing was not for nothing, as his cross was headed nonchalently in by compatriot Skalidis. Skalidis was looking somewhere near the best we've had yet, but Como's keeper Nathan Coe did just enough to stop a massacre. With half time approaching we nipped in for a third. Pablo Asencio, in for his first start of the season, threaded a pass to Santos, and he doubled his tally for the day. He was now on a hat-trick, and more often than not he'll get there. Doukas, Asencio, Skalidis and Alexiou all combined to give him the simple task of rolling past Coe on 57 minutes to achieve yet another hat-trick and extend his tally as the top scorer in the history of the club. Como had a few penalty appeals turned down rightfully and wrongly, but we found the level that we have been searching for, and it showed when we were on it. Performing like this, we can be unbeatable.

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Hyypia©, Montanari, Franzese, Asencio, Doukas, Santos, Skalidis, McPhee, Alexiou

The third round of the UEFA Cup gives us yet another game at home in the first leg. Our opponents this time are Bulgarians Belshina, who knocked out Lorient last round, so they must be handy. Scouting operations are already in effect.

A Coppa Italia game against lower league opposition could not arrive at a better time. Cagliari, despite flying high in Serie B, are nowhere near us in terms of quality, and it should prove a nice morale booster for a couple of trickier matches. The side remains unchanged.

Varese 5

Alexiou 36, 82

Doukas 42

Asencio 50

Skalidis 56

Cagliari 1

Degano 41

Everyone who found the scoresheet showed their immense quality when in form. Cagliari, to their credit, were much tougher in the first half. We didn't get much respite from them, and they looked useful if not great. In the eleventh minute a sign of what was coming happened when Alexiou saw his shot hit the goalpost. To their credit, they kept the match level until the 36th minute, when Alexiou got it right. Skalidis' shot skidded along the ground and away off the post. McPhee returned the ball into the box, where Alexiou hooked his attempt over Poleksic and in. Cagliari responded with a goal icon_redface.gif - Denis Piva crossed for Daniele Degano to head in and upset the apple cart a bit. Straight down the other end we went, and restored the rightful lead. McPhee can claim an assist again, as it was his shot saved which Doukas drilled into an empty net from a rebound. Five minutes into the second half the Sardinians gave in. Asencio's original effort was stopped on the line by Parente, who fell into the net with the force off the shot he saved. Asencio crashed in the rebound. A little over five minutes later the inevitable happened. Skalidis had been sharp all day, and when Yepes gave him a ball on the half volley, it was only ever going in. More chances came and went until we grabbed the fifth. McPhee will claim a third assist, because it was his pass to Alexiou that enabled the Greek hitman to lob Poleksic with such grace and brilliance to embarrass the keeper in a stunning manner. Alexiou has hit five goals since Skalidis arrived, and has never looked in better nick. An easy win. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Hyypia©, Montanari, Franzese, Asencio, Doukas, Santos, Skalidis, McPhee, Alexiou

• Administrators

Parma have caused us a few worries over the years, and today will be no different. Their quality will show, but hopefully we can get away with something. Cavalcante returns as Franzese is rested.

Parma 2

Brighi 7

Pepe 63

Varese 0

How many times are we going to outplay a side and NOT win? icon_mad.gif Parma performed so well in defence, we performed so well in attack, but we just couldn't break through. Italian captain Matteo Brighi gave the home side an early lead as he rather surprisingly found some space, and played the ball high into the net. The game slowly turned our way, but David Dei performed heroics. Parma's 36 year old stopper prevented anything beating him, and how we tried. Any other day Skalidis would have had five. Stephen McPhee, without a goal for quite some time, almost equalised on half time, but it wouldn't go in. Pablo Asencio gave everything, but still Dei repelled us. Three minutes after the hour we conceded the second. Left back Carlo Pepe, recently placed in the first team by Prandelli, was quickest to a loose ball to drive us further behind. The defeat certainly tells me the time may have come to end our ultra-attacking 3-3-1-3 formation, and look to something more conservative but still play to our strengths - perhaps in the style of Parma or Milan. It needs to be done though icon_frown.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Hyypia©, Montanari, Cavalcante, Asencio, Doukas, Santos, Skalidis, McPhee, Alexiou

The UEFA Cup match against Belshina gives us a chance to try out a new formation. We've had the old one for the best part of five years, so it will take time to get used to. Youngsters Asara and Montanari fill new roles as wing backs, and Skalidis makes way as he is cup-tied as we go with two up top - a rareity for us. Stilianos Doukas takes the captaincy today.

Varese 4

Alexiou 36, 57, 78

Asara 59

Belshina 0

Well, if nothing it taught me that Christos Alexiou can play in any formation and score goals. Once again he was breathtaking, enjoying another fruitful season. The formation looked competent - despite the lack of opposition the defence looked competent, especially the young wingbacks - Gaetano Montanari was incredible. A dull first half was enlivened on 36 minutes when Alexiou struck his first of the night. Doukas drilled a low shot into the area that fell kindly for his Greek teammate. The ball went past the goalkeeper with ease. Santos came close to doubling the lead seconds before Alexiou did. Santos' effort scraped the bar. From the goal kick, he headed the ball back over the top, onto which Alexiou raced and slipped in the goal. Minutes later he turned provider. A cutback from the touchline allowed Asara time and space to finish well for his first of the season. Alexiou made it a hat-trick ten minutes from time. Montanari looked for Doukas, missed, but found Alexiou. Hauti Nursetov was beaten very easily to complete a 4-0 win. It was easy tonight, but the real test for the new look side will come in Serie A at the weekend.

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Orellana, Andreazzoli, Montanari, Asara, Asencio, Doukas©, Santos, McPhee, Alexiou

Perugia look ideal opponents for our first league game under the new formation. Skalidis is in for McPhee, as he has been out of touch, and Alexiou cannot be dropped. It's the only change.

Varese 4

Santos 25, 41

Yepes 66

Alexiou 87

Perugia 1

F.Miccoli 20

For a while we looked like the same old Varese as ever. The opening goal was the first incident of any worth. Fabrizio Miccoli found too much space on the break, and made Stekelenburg look silly from a fair way out. Still, in recent games Stilianos Doukas has been immense for us. His cleverness opened the door for a quick equaliser. HIs cross was volleyed in expertly by the goal machine Santos. He has still been allocated the free midfield-to-attack role that he has flourished in for years, and his goals today showed he is still as dangerous. We pushed forwards in more confidence, and with four minutes to go until half time, Francesco Vianello's poor defensive header was punished by Santos. A short run was followed by the Brazilian steadying himself before beating Caccia for the second time. The second half was a far better picture of our new style. Anastasios Skalidis took over, but once again things didn't go his way in front of goal. It didn't get him down, so he turned to help others attempt to score. Mario Yepes headed in his first Varese goal on 66 minutes, once again the assist was from the right foot of Doukas. With minutes remaining Doukas tricked and dribbled a path into the area. With the goal inviting, he rolled the ball across the goal to allow Alexiou to tap in a fourth, and Doukas claimed a third assist of the game. All round, a game of positives. Hopefully this kind of performance will be more regular. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Orellana, Andreazzoli, Montanari, Asara, Asencio, Doukas©, Santos, Skalidis, Alexiou

• Administrators

There will be no way on earth we can lose to Cagliari tonight. 5-1 in the first leg is enough to see our safe path through, but nonetheless I play my strongest side in order for them to gel in a new way. Cavalcante does replace Asencio.

Cagliari 0

Varese 1

Skalidis 8

It was all that was needed. Cagliari may have dominated, but we held out firm, in a match that showed very little by the way of enjoyment. Skalidis headed in his 5th goal of the season early doors from yet another assist from Doukas. Since I decided to offer him a new contract and keep him at the club he has been better than ever - a model professional. Once again he and Skalidis were inseparable as to who was better, but each in their own way played the perfect game. There is very little to actually tell of the game, other than we go through 6-1 on aggregate.

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Orellana, Andreazzoli, Montanari, Asara, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, Skalidis, Alexiou

In the draw for the Quarters of the Coppa Italia, we will meet our old foes Inter - not the easiest at any time, but we'll fight for everything, believe it.

Fortunately, Bologna's Manolis Ligkos is injured for our visit to the Dall'Ara. It's a shame, as Skalidis and Alexiou would have upstaged him anyway. Youngster Andrea Todisco is the latest in a line of young defenders to receive their full debuts, as Renzo Andreazzoli looked a little shaky in Cagliari.

Bologna 0

Varese 1

Santos 5

We may not have had the control over the game, and we may not have been as free flowing as before, but none of that matters as we came through with another win, and another impressive defensive outing. The only goal came relatively early. Skalidis couldn't find a route to goal, so he allowed Santos to take the opportunity, and he could. He made just enough space to slot in his twelfth of the season. Whilst Skalidis was our dangerman, Bologna's Ronaldinho started to get going for the home side. He started creating chances, of which the best fell to Martino, but he wasted the simple chance given to him by the Brazilian star. On half time Stekelenburg pulled a magical save out of the hat to turn away Ronaldinho's snapshot. The second half was little different. Ronaldinho's creativity went to waste as Chumachenko and Martino couldn't finish. We were quiet, but with ten minutes to go we ventured up field and Alexiou headed just over. Andrea Todisco had a comfortable debut game in defence alongside a rejuvenated Daniel Orellana. Perhaps not the most enthralling of games, but I couldn't care - we won, and effectively.

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Orellana, Todisco, Montanari, Asara, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, Skalidis, Alexiou

Napoli contact the club with a £2.7m bid for Orellana. I'm caught in a dilemma whether to accept or not. He's good, but has caused some internal unrest this season, and hasn't been playing well. That said, recently he has shown glimpses of his form. With the transfer window opening again soon, I may be able to get a quality replacement, and with some bigger clubs interested I could get more money. I tell Napoli to hold on their situation whilst I mull it over.

They say they cannot wait and give up.

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by P_Chronis:

nice story lad icon_smile.gif

btw is lygkos becoming that after some years??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks icon_smile.gif

Ligkos is the best player on the game in 2010 - that says enough icon_biggrin.gif

• Administrators

The weather here in Bulgaria is atrocious for the meeting in Belshina. We hold a 4-0 first leg lead, which we will not lose tonight. I'm pretty confident of coming away with a win, as Belshina are poor. McPhee returns in place of the ineligible Skalidis.

Belshina 0

Varese 1

Yepes 63

Quite the rareity for us - a third consecutive 1-0 victory away from home. Even more impressive was that we limited the home side to not a single attempt on our goal. Which meant we just needed to put one chance in the back of the net to seal a win. In conditions more suited to an eskimo, the football was affected in the first half where nothing of note occured, except perhaps Santos' header over the crossbar. In the 63rd minute we scored the goal that won us the game. Doukas' free kick was fumbled by the goalkeeper, and half cleared. The loose ball came to Mario Yepes, and the Colombian centre back scored with quite a sweet strike. It allowed me to rest some players and give others, like Roberto Javier Mina, a first outing of the season. All three young defenders, marshalled by Yepes and Orellana, again performed admirably. We progress to the Fourth Round for the first time in our history. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Orellana, Todisco, Montanari, Asara, Cavalcante (Franzese 81), Doukas©, Santos, McPhee (Dobek 70), Alexiou (Mina 70)

I'm still reeling from the news I've been told. Carlos Alberto Viera Dos Santos, out of nowhere, has decided to leave the club upon his contract expiry in the summer. Negotiations had been dragging on, but this surprises me from Varese's top goalscorer in our history. I can try and change his mind, but it seems he is adamant on leaving, which disappoints and saddens me. It also means we need to search for a replacement, which for Santos may be impossible.

The afternoon sees the UEFA Cup 4th Round draw........where we are drawn with Olympiakos again. We are away for the first leg (at last), and this will be a true sign of our progression (or lack of).

As ever, Venezia are one of our bogey sides. They always seem to produce the goods against us, even when struggling in the league. Skalidis will return to the starting line-up.

Varese 1

Skalidis 39

Doukas sent off 37

Venezia 1

Natali 33

Even with ten men we outplayed Venezia, which showed that if the referee hadn't sent off Stilianos Doukas rashly and unfairly, we would have won. Saying that, Venezia opened well and set out their stall to attack. Former Varese hitman Juho Makela looked to stick it to us by scoring, but our defence was in top nick. It didn't stop Alessio Natali stealing away from Todisco to glance in Vigano's cross to put the visitors ahead on 33 minutes. A few minutes later we were reduced to ten men. Makela broke clear, but Doukas was catching. The referee interpreted what was minimal contact as a pull by my captain, and thus dismissed him. The benefit of our current formation is that we can easily go from a back five to a back four and defend just as well. Asara covered the midfield gap, and we equalised instantly. Alexiou was foulded twenty yards from goal. In Doukas' absence, Skalidis hit the dead ball right into the back of the net. icon_smile.gif How we didn't win is beyond me. Alexiou had three headed attempts in the second half, all of which produced stunning saves from Cristian Rocca. Our defence was equally as impressive. Every member of the back four (as it turned out to be) played in sync with each other, and Orellana played probably his best game for us. The draw takes us up to fifth, which is more progress. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Orellana, Todisco, Montanari, Asara, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, Skalidis, Alexiou

• Administrators

Bologna are the latest side to tempt me with a bid for Orellana. £3m is still too small, but I tell them to hold on my decision, as he's been great recently.

Stilianos Doukas' suspension coincides with a two week injury, so he is unavailable tonight when he would have played, as we meet Inter in the first leg of our Coppa Italia Quarter Final. They show us enough respect to play a strong side. I give the captaincy to Doukas' replacement, Pablo Asencio, who is a leader in the changing room, having been here as long as anyone playing.

Varese 1

Skalidis 67

Inter 0

It's clear how much we've changed as we notched up our fourth 1-0 victory in five games, with this the most impressive of the bunch. Inter tore into us, with Carlos Tévez in particular a constant threat. The first half of the first half was a quiet affair livened up only by Anastasios Skalidis' two attempts over the bar. Inter grew in the game, and Stekelenburg got down well to steer Guana's attempt around the post. He then turned away Ventola's header as the pressure continued. Skalidis was still our main target to look for to score a goal, and it was only going to be him who would score. Exactly three-quarters of the way into the match we led. Claudio Cavalcante showed nice balance to find room to cross. From there, Skalidis showed his aerial prowess to thump the header past Frey and make it 1-0. icon_smile.gif The signal was given to defend, and in numbers. Once more, Yepes and Orellana were superb in defence, and the youngsters all did their bit, including young Todisco, who in only his fourth match shackled Tévez perfectly. I'm starting to prefer the new way we play, as we are actually playing much better this way.

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Orellana, Todisco, Montanari, Asara, Cavalcante, Asencio©, Santos, Skalidis, Alexiou

I receive two bids for two seperate defenders this morning. Parma's £3m for Daniel Orellana is ignored unless they can find £7m. AEK have also bid for Edu Dracena. £1.9m is a good fee, but not over six months. If it can be up front then they can have him, as I certainly have no use for him.

Parma give up on Orellana, but AEK accept the negotiations over Edu Dracena. All that stands in the way of a move is personal terms.

Our last game of 2010 is at home to lowly Salernitana. Like us, they have moved away from an Ãœber-attacking ethos, but unlike us, they've fallen flat on it. I leave the side unchanged.

Varese 2

Regonesi 62 og

Skalidis 79

Salernitana 1

Bonnani 33 pen

It took a while, it was a little nerve-wracking, but we got there with a little helping hand. That said, the hand dealt us some harsh decisions at first. Domenico Asara had the first attempt of the game, a volley which bounced into the ground and over. Skalidis called Ledda into action soon after, but Salernitana took an undeserved lead on 33 minutes. Mario Yepes fouled Sergio González in the area, and a penalty was given. Looking objectively, it probably was the right decision. Massimo Bonnani sent Stekelenburg the wrong way. González nearly doubled the lead on the brink of half time, but his attempt was wayward. Things really were not going our way. Ten minutes after half time Santos and Alexiou played a nice one-two which resulted in Alexiou thumping in an equaliser. It didn't count, he was offside. icon_frown.gif All of a sudden, things were going our way. Again Alexiou unleashed a shot across goal. It may have gone in, but Pierre Giorgio Regonesi helped it on its way into the net. Then it was all about finding a winner. Any direct routes to goal seemed blocked - Fabio Brini appeared to have drilled the defence well enough to limit the threat of Alexiou and Skalidis from open play. We were also missing the influence of Doukas and the creativity he brings. With eleven minutes left the goal was found. An inviting free kick was lined up by Skalidis, which was sent crashing into the goal to give us another win. icon_smile.gif We're yet to lose under the new formation, and we end the year in fifth place. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Orellana, Todisco, Montanari, Asara, Cavalcante, Asencio©, Santos, Skalidis, Alexiou

• Administrators

Edu Dracena has agreed terms with AEK Athens, and, funding permitting, will join the Greek club on January 1st. £1.9m may go a long way to supporting my bid for a Bordeauz defender with a lot of promise.

2011 starts with a trip to a Torino side that have done OK without setting places alight. In Mario Piras they have a world class striker. Stilianos Doukas returns for us.

Torino 1

Piras 82 pen

Varese 1

Alexiou 36

Montanari injured 78

We're still unbeaten in the now not-so-new formation, but we might have won this with a little luck. Lady Luck probably did hand out a fair enough share of her charn over the 90 minutes, as will be revealed. The gulf in quality was showing for much of the match. Only fate seemed to prevent us from breaking the deadlock. As ever, Skalidis was buzzing around busily, showing a nice touch with a lob that landed on the roof of the goal. Toro keeper Stefano Sorrentino did well to parry Asara's hard volley after 27 minutes, before another youngster helped us take the lead. Gaetano Montanari did well on the flank, then crossed to Alexiou. He teed the ball up and sent in a lovely volley to take his total to 15 for the season and give us a lead. If Doukas could've scored instead of pulling out a glaring miss on half time we would have certainly won. It missed, which kept I Granata in the contest. The turning point was the injury to Montanari. The teenage wingback went off with strained knee ligaments, and despite his quality Pablo Asencio is not a winger. Torino sensed their chance and grabbed it. With eight to go Mario Yepes was overly aggressive in his duel with Piras. Signor Rosetti awarded a penalty which Piras converted. He then scored another, as our defence went to shambles. Luckily he was offside and we can be fortunate to escape with a point, and an injury. Montanari will miss the big clashes against Inter, sandwiching a game against Roma.

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Orellana, Todisco, Montanari (Asencio 78), Asara, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, Skalidis, Alexiou

The latest table just short of the halfway point:

Italian Serie A - Wednesday 5th January 2011

2010/1 Table

1st Milan 15 5 3 0 17 5 4 2 1 10 6 32

2nd Parma 15 3 3 1 9 4 5 2 1 17 8 29

3rd Inter 15 7 0 0 11 1 1 4 3 8 12 28

4th Lazio 16 4 2 2 9 5 3 4 1 9 6 27

5th Napoli 16 6 1 1 15 7 1 2 5 5 12 24

6th VARESE 16 5 3 0 23 7 1 2 5 7 12 23

7th Bologna 16 5 1 2 12 9 1 4 3 12 13 23

8th Juventus 16 3 3 2 10 7 2 4 2 12 13 22

9th Perugia 16 4 1 3 9 10 2 2 4 6 12 21

10th Venezia 16 4 2 2 10 5 1 3 4 4 11 20

11th Vicenza 16 5 0 3 11 9 1 1 6 6 15 19

12th Atalanta 15 0 5 3 11 14 4 1 2 12 10 18

13th Torino 16 3 3 2 9 10 1 3 4 6 14 18

14th Lecce 16 3 2 3 9 10 1 3 4 7 14 17

15th Brescia 15 3 4 1 10 9 1 1 5 5 14 17

16th Roma 15 1 5 1 12 11 2 1 5 9 8 15

17th Como 16 1 4 3 11 14 2 2 4 9 15 15

18th Salernitana 16 1 1 6 7 14 2 2 4 7 10 12

</pre>

• Administrators

Cheers Matt - I'll do what I can

Dixie - praise from the highest - I'm honoured icon_smile.gif

Back we go....

The second leg of the Coppa Italia Quarter Final in Inter's Giuseppe Meazza stadium is our toughest game for a long while, and will be the marking post of any progression we have made. Montanari is replaced by Christian Santi, who made a similarly cracking breakthrough nine seasons ago, but has struggled to make progress. Still, he has over 180 club appearances and will not let us down in a huge game which we go into with a 1-0 lead.

Inter 1

Gerrard 38

Varese 1

Santi 63

Varese win 2-1 on aggregate

The draw is very, very satisfying. icon_smile.gif Inter were rampant in the search for goals, and to be fair they did put enough into the back of the net, but all that matters is the 1-1 scoreline and the amazing rearguard action we took. In the ninth minute we looked to be in for a long night when Giancarlo Spinelli headed in a cross from Guana. It was disallowed for offside against Nicola Ventola, in what was a very tight decision. The pressure was almost too much. Carlos Tévez sent a scorching effort only centimetres over the bar to send the pulses even higher. And this was all in the first twenty minutes. The inevitable came close to half time. Inter got their act together which resulted in Steven Gerrard drilling low past Stekelenburg for the opening goal which levelled the scores on aggregate. I still knew that one goal from us could change everything. Poulsen started to control even more of the game. His 51st minute cross arrived on Spinelli's head again, and once more the ball was headed in. Once more, Ventola was offside and active, so the goal was disallowed. It seemed only a matter of time before Inter would break our resolve and put the tie beyond us. What transpired shocked many. In what was our first real venture forward, Doukas did what he does best - a cross into a dangerous area. Arriving on the ball at the back post was, of all people, Christian Santi. The 24 year old kept cool to beat Frey and give us an away goal which meant Inter would need two more. It shattered Cúper's side. They showed nothing to suggest they thought they could get through, and come full time we had made the Semis for the first time since Inter knocked us out two years ago. It was a fabulous night. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Orellana, Todisco, Santi, Asara, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, Skalidis, Alexiou

Our reward for last night's heroics is another trip to Milan to face Carlo Ancelotti's side. If anything AC are the best side in the world, but we may get lucky and find ourselves up against a reserve side, which will still be hard.

Roma have severely disappointed many. In the relegation zone at Christmas, they have revived in a small way but still langish in the lower half. It's strange as their quality - Bau, Cavenaghi, Rodriguez, Piper and co are world class. I'm forced into a change. Skalidis has a slight knock which stopped him training, so McPhee replaces him.

Varese 0

Roma 0

Samuel sent off 88

Another wonderful defensive outing. icon_smile.gif They have really been incredible. We've conceded five goals since the change, and never more than one in a game. Roma battered at our door, but they couldn't break it down, as once again Daniel Orellana was colossal. Roma's Maxi Rodriguez, voted as one of the best players in the world in a recent poll, started well by creating a chance for Bau that Stekelenburg saved. It wasn't to be his last stop. He also headed just over himself on 9 minutes. Our first chance belonged to Doukas. A direct free kick was well saved by Thomas Colucci. Roma started to cool off but with Cavenaghi around anything could happen, which he showed on numerous first half instances, forcing Stekelenburg into action. Surprisingly, it was us who came closest to a goal. Early in the second period Christos Alexiou hit a full-blooded volley that bounced back off of the crossbar. icon_frown.gif With four minutes left Stekelenburg made the save of the season so far, possibly save of the decade (all 381 days of it icon_biggrin.gif ) when he dived full length to hold onto Eder Bau's header. It was a true save from a World Champion. Late on Walter Samuel earned a second yellow to earn a red card in the last action of an eventful, goalless but rewarding match. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Orellana, Todisco, Santi, Asara, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, McPhee (Dobek 79), Alexiou

• Administrators

Ah yes, Inter Milan again. This time we face them in our own back yard, but they bring a far stronger outfit. Saying that, I am able to name a very strong side, even with Montanari still not fit.

Varese 2

Yepes 29

Doukas 70 pen

Inter 2

Tevez 21, 65

We showed fine character to come back from behind twice to extend our unbeaten run to twelve matches. Inter were just as tough as before, perhaps even better as today Carlos Tévez was on form. A typically aggressive start from Inter saw Inácio Piá head against the crossbar before Carlos Tévez volleyed the Nerazzurri ahead. Inácio Piá was felled in the area, and Inter appealed for a penalty. Play continued and Tévez put the ball into the net as referee Gian Luca Crugliano played an advantage. Skalidis then narrowly missed the target as we searched for an equaliser. It wasn't long before we did tie the game though. Doukas sent over a corner and with it another assist. His delivery was headed goalwards by Mario Yepes, and Frey was helpless to prevent it going in. Skalidis put Frey into action on half time as the Greek forward caused the French keeper to scamper across the goal to perform a quality stop. Inter started the second half as they started the first, lively. Gallas and Ventola combined to go close, as did Rosicky and Riviere. It was Rossini and Tevez who linked up the best though when the Argentinian headed in his second and made it 2-1 to Inter. As with the first goal, Yepes and Doukas were hugely involved in the second equaliser. Yepes tried to play Santos in down the channel. It was overhit, but Gallas controlled the ball with his arm inside the area. Stilianos Doukas scored the penalty. Frey had to be in form to stop Alexiou and Skalidis at the death, but the draw keeps us very much in touch with the top after a tough run, and now we have a less 'tough' league campaign, if that can be true.

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Orellana, Todisco, Santi, Asara, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, Skalidis, Alexiou

Here we go again. We all know by know what Milan bring to the table, and there's a big chance we won't win in the first leg of the Coppa Italia Semi Final. We can, however, give ourselves a chance of making the final. Unchanged.

Milan 2

Pinzi 15

Toni 61

Varese 1

Santos 58

We weren't at our best, probably tired out after the exploits against Inter and Roma. Milan's quality wasn't as overbearing as it had been in the past, but they had enough to win. Giampiero Pinzi stroked in Damiano Zenoni's cross on fifteen minutes to give Milan the room to relax a little. It probably wasn't the wisest thing to do, as we started to grow in confidence. Alexiou set up a chance for Skalidis, who shot just wide. Alexiou headed wide when it would've been easier to score. Two minutes before the hour mark we did ourselves justice. Stilianos Doukas took a corner, and Santos headed us level with an away goal that may prove so crucial. If we can beat Milan just 1-0 at our place we go through because Santos scored that vital goal in the San Siro. We weren't level long though, because once more Zenoni crossed, and Luca Toni exhibited his aerial dominance by powering in the winner. To match Milan in possession and chances is better than anything we've done against them before, but what does annoy me is that Milan have a 8-0 record in wins/losses against us now. icon_frown.gif

• Administrators

After a run of games in which we could not have been tried harder, we are given a 'reprieve' as we face Brescia to kick off a run of League games I'd really hope to do well from. We're back to full strength for the visit to the Lombard side, as Gaetano Montanari is fit to resume after knee trouble.

Brescia

Salvatori 25, 68

Varese 3

Skalidis 22

Doukas 65 pen

McPhee 84

I'm not too happy that we've started to concede goals again, but I am happy at the win and the fighting spirit of today's match. After an opening where it was us who dominated, Anastasios Skalidis scored the 200th goal of his career in style. He dribbled forwards unchallenged and then unleashed a bullet from nearly thirty yards out that beat Macelloni with ease. But the lead was temporary. Gionatha Spinesi crossed into a perfect area for Donato Salvatori to score his fourth of the season, and in truth he couldn't have missed. We looked for a second, but the closest we came was Christos Alexiou's abysmal header. After some great form he's gone cold recently, which is disappointing. Yet when in doubt, turn to Skalidis. Another fantastic performance from my newest signing saw him win the penalty which put us back ahead. He skipped around the keeper, who felled him. Doukas converted simply. Unfortunately, the old inconsistency was creeping back into our game. icon_frown.gif Pugliese outpaced Montanari, and the cross was again headed in by Salvatori. It was starting to look like we were going to lose further touch at the top, until Stephen McPhee saved the day. After a great year last season he hasn't done the business this season too much, but his header six minutes from time may earn him a recall to the starting side. Another win is another win, but will only count if we can keep going. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Yepes, Orellana, Todisco, Montanari, Asara, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, Skalidis, Alexiou (McPhee 82)

Atalanta have caused many a problem for us in the past, but strangely we've never lost to them. Stilianos Doukas has a facial injury but plays with the aid of a protecting mask, whilst Alexiou still gets the nod over McPhee.

Varese 3

Skalidis 24

Alexiou 51, 70

Atalanta 0

One of the more easier wins of this season. Atalanta offered little and took nothing. A nice point for us was the return to form of Alexiou, perhaps spurred on by McPhee's goal challenge last game. Visiting keeper Gabriele La Notte was busy from the off, parrying Yepes header and clearing Montanari's cross. Two headers from Anastasios Skalidis followed which didn't force anything from La Notte, but his next attempt was far more accurate. Doukas lofted a ball over the static Atalanta back line for Skalidis to chase. As he reached the ball, Skalidis struck a volley over the keeper and into the net. icon_smile.gif He's now on double figures since joining in October. The Nerazzurri started to venture forwards and Fabio Gatti had their first attempt on goal, albeit a tame one. It wasn't a worry though, as we were always dominating the play, and would eventually score another. Six minutes after the restart Claudio Cavalcante delivered the cross from which Christos Alexiou headed high into the net to allow us room to relax in. The goal that well and truly sunk Atalanta was quite stylish in its execution. Yepes ran with the ball and gave it to Asara, who flicked it to Skalidis. Enclosed, he in turn found Alexiou, who buried the opportunity with such ease he looked embarrassed at scoring. As always, Skalidis was irrepressible, and we jump up to fifth, still chasing a Champions League spot and with time on our side to do so.

Archived