I can't believe I thought it would be easy (the Italian Job challenge)

Philip Rolfe

• Administrators

We face a tough trip to Inter, but three points will put us within one point of them. We go in unchanged, looking for another important win.

Inter 1

Colombini 21

Varese 0

Our fifteen game run has reached an end as Inter made sure we will stay fourth for the near future at least. We playd well enough, but Inter's defence was too strong for us. Youngster Roberto Colombini was the main protagonist for the Nerazzurri, and it was little surprise he scored the winner. He had two attempts off target in the opening quarter of an hour. Skalidis then missed two chances of his own before Colombini scored. Sebastian Kehl put him clear on the right, and the 20 year old cut inside and rifled Inter ahead.Éwerthon almost made it two after, but his attempt was well off target. Stekelenburg needed to make a fine save from, yes, Colombini again. Despite the intense pressure we faced, we might have been level at the break. A fine header from Mario Piras was well saved by Sebastien Frey. We played better in the second half, especially with Alexiou constantly testing Frey with low, fierce drives. We can feel disappointed that we didn't take a draw, but we also must see it as a blip, especially with a run of games which now reads: Bayern Munich, Milan, Bayern Munich, Juventus. After already playing Lazio, Roma, and Inter, this seems almost too tough to be real. icon_frown.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Balzaretti, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Skalidis, Piras, Alexiou

Bayern Munich's team reads as an all star cast of football. Aghahowa, Santa Cruz, Crespo, Belik, Terry, Chivu, Becker - all will start tonight as we look to get something out of the game. It'll be very, very hard.

Varese 0

Bayern Munich 2

Vranjes 61

Belik 87

I take no shame in losing to a side put together with millions, and a side who are clearly better than we. We still have a good chance of qualifying for the Quarter Finals, but this was a major blow. We did play very well actually. Bayern were held at bay bar Santa Cruz's shot over and Alex's free kick which Stekelenburg dealt with well. Skalidis hit a free kick well wide, and then tested Pelizzoli on the brink of half time. I felt satisfied to be level at the break, and confident we could at least hold on. We may have but for a rather dodgy, for want of a better word, refereeing decision. Minutes after Anastasios Skalidis had hit the crossbar, Bayern were awarded a soft free kick for handball against Doukas. It looked very much ball to hand, but Jurica Vranjes headed in Alex's delivery to give Bayern the important impetus which eventually did for us. Alexiou's devilishly accurate header had Pelizzoli pulling out a save from the very top drawer, but Stekelenburg did the same from Santa Cruz's strike. As we looked for a late equaliser we were caught short at the back, and when Olexiy Belik gets a chance he'll take it, and Bayern wrapped the game up. I've said it before, but disappointment at losing to Bayern Munich is brilliant considering at one stage we were losing to the likes of Alessandria and Spezia. Hopefully we haven't met a run of poor form though.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Asara, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Skalidis, Piras (Balepheteke 88), Alexiou

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

As strange as this may (and will) sound, I fancy the home game on television against Milan this afternoon as the game we can win out of the horrible run we face. We've done them the last two times at home, and I can't see why not today. Except the fact Milan are awesome. A slight tactical change means Skalidis gets more of an attacking role, with Piras being the player to drop off the front pair.

Varese 2

Alexiou 45

Skalidis 90

Milan 1

Kutuzov 63

We were back to our very best, and in that form we can do almost anything. With Milan having lost just ten games in the last two and a half seasons, they were always going to be favourites. But as with the game against Bayern, we dominated, with the crucial difference being that we found the net. The opening twenty minutes were perfect from a Varese point of view, with the game finding itself. A major criticism of our games with Milan is conceding too early. Blocking that out gives us a greater chance of winning. Ancelotti's side did start to play their stuff, as Stekelenburg was needed to get down well to Kutuzov's effort and then up well for Luca Toni's header. Doukas then had a chance for us which Abbiati saved neatly. Another positive is that we find the knack for scoring goals at important times. In first half injury time Federico Balzaretti put in an undefendable cross which was perfect for Christos Alexiou to score another header. Milan had no time to respond, so we went into the second half upbeat at leading. The expected Milan onslaught arrived a little later than cued, but they did get their goal. Matteo Brighi's accurate cross was headed in by Kutuzov, easily the visitors' best player on the day. It looked as if we were going to have to accept a sole point which would do nothing for our title ambitions, but in injury time a similar combination got us glory. Another beautifully sweet cross from Balzaretti's left foot was too good for Skalidis to refuse. He headed in and wheeled off in celebration at another famous win for Varese! icon_smile.gif In the post-match analysis, Balzaretti received rave reviews from all comers, which is bright for his outside hopes of going to Euro 2012.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Balzaretti, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Piras, Skalidis, Alexiou

Off to Munich for the return match against FC Bayern. If we lost at home to them, it'll be even harder this time.

Bayern Munich 2

Aghahowa 35

Belik 89

Varese 0

Ah well, we look like we're out of Europe now, but we went down bravely tonight. We can still mathematically make it through, but it'll be tough and out of our hands. We started fantastically, with Skalidis forcing a save from Pelizzoli and then Alexiou hitting the crossbar. The first twenty minutes were ours, however, they were fruitless. Belik and Santa Cruz both had chances for the home side before Nigerian hitman Julius Aghahowa was set up by Belik for a chance he couldn't miss. By the end of the first half we were being mauled. Santa Cruz's wastefulness was keeping us alive. The second half was all Bayern dominated, but for Montanari's header which only found the side netting. As with the return leg in Northern Italy, Bayern, and Olexiy Belik, struck late to crush us. Alex's cross was met by the Ukrainian, who beat off Milton do Ó's attentions and headed past Stekelenburg. It's been a very tough learning curve against Bayern, but we can take so much from it.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Asara, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Piras, Skalidis, Alexiou

• Administrators

After this afternoon's game at Juventus, we can look forward to some easier matches. We tend to lose out late in Turin, so it's somewhat important that we keep control of the game. Cavalcante is rested and Lombardi replaces, and Bø plays as Yepes is suspended.

Juventus 1

Woodthorpe 31

Varese 0

This guy Woodthorpe just seems to love scoring against us. Firstly at Salernitana, and now at Juventus, he loves to punish us. Mario Piras' early showing was the best he's been for us, but his few attempts at goal gained nothing. Skalidis had a few headed opportunities, none of which found the net. Yet after a bright start we managed to concede to one of Juve's first attempts at goal. Pazzini's (admittedly wonderful) cross found Chul-soo Woodthorpe, and the North Korean buried his chance. Fabio Rustico did amazingly well to clear Skalidis' header off the line before half time, and we really shouldn't have been behind. Pegolo made a good stop from Doukas with the first chance of the second half, and then made an even better save with his fingertips from Alexiou. The defeat puts us into fifth, and outside the Champions League places, for the first time in six games. Still, with some very winable games coming, we can get back.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Bø, Todisco, Balzaretti, Montanari, Lombardi (Cavalcante 78), Doukas©, Piras, Skalidis, Alexiou

As I feel we can beat Cagliari, relegation battlers, I rest Mario Piras and bring back Charly Balepheteke. Lombardi continues in midfield, and Mario Yepes has served his suspension and returns at the heart of the defence.

Varese 1

Skalidis 25

Cagliari 0

We did what was needed, no more, no less. Cagliari were their usual irritating selves, but I think I got the balance of the team just right today. Cristian Corallo made a 'television save' early on from Alexiou's header, but stood no chance with Skalidis' half-volley. Fortunately for him, it endangered the crowd more than his net. The Greek forward got another chance, and this time took it. Doukas' inch-perfect chip was instantly snaffled by Skalidis. His first time left foot volley went into the bottom corner, sweet as a nut. icon_smile.gif Alexiou hit the crossbar with a decent header, but Stekelenburg was still needed in order to keep us ahead. He commanded his area as well as ever, and when he's on form it's a good sign for us (he's rarely off form). Whilst we managed to continue wasting chances, Skalidis the main culprit, Cagliari never worried us. Alexandr Shirko was the main threat, but Montanari was unbeatable. Temporarily we're back into fourth as Lazio meet Palermo tomorrow, but this is the win we needed to get back on track. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Balzaretti, Montanari, Lombardi (Cavalcante 78), Doukas©, Balepheteke (Piras 76), Skalidis, Alexiou

If we are to progress from this Champions League Group we must win at Millwall tonight, and then hope Bayern Munich can beat Barcelona. The New Den has changed dramatically, now with a 36,000 capacity, and perfect for top level football. Once more, Asara is in for ineligible Balzaretti, but Cavalcante plays instead of Lombardi as I need his experience.

Millwall 0

Varese 3

Skalidis 30, 78

Asara 90

Another 3-0 victory over Milwall, but this will mean nothing as Barcelona beat Bayern Munich, which eliminates us. icon_frown.gif We were very impressive tonight however, despite a bright opening Millwall were tired and lethargic. A fine seventh minute move culminated in Cavalcante heading just over from Montanari's cross. Kevin Young then made a decent stop from Skalidis, and Alexiou was dispossessed in a better position. Exactly on the half hour we took the lead. Doukas curled a dangerous inswinging corner over, and Skalidis rose well to head us ahead. Millwall forward Tony Ross made Maarten Stekelenburg make his first save of the day from a header early in the second half, but anything which followed was dealt with by the defence. Young midfield substitute Gerald de Lange did his level best to impress me, as he clearly harbours hopes of being in my first Dutch squad, due to be named next week. Back to this game, we sewed the game up twelve minutes from time in great style. As usual, Doukas turned the play from defence to attack, before releasing Skalidis. Young came out, but was caught out by a perfectly measured chip for his second goal. icon_smile.gif In injury time we put together a fine move. Balepheteke switched the play to Montanari, who headed back to the Cameroonian. He played Doukas in down the channel, before my captain played a one-two with Alexiou. From the byline he crossed to the back post, where Asara was able to head in unmarked to open his account for the season. We may be out, but we've done very well tonight. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Asara, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Balepheteke, Skalidis, Alexiou

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

A Saturday night visit to Napoli presents us an opportunity to put pressure on the sides above us by winning and moving in to third. Balzaretti is back in the only change from the side which beat Millwall.

Napoli 0

Varese 0

I can feel a little satisfied with a goalless draw against Napoli, since we have a poor record against them to say the least. It was pretty even throughout, but defences were definitely on top. Charly Balepheteke had the first opportunity of the game, with a sharp drive at goal which Coppola did well to save. It was the Cameroon midfielder who came even closer minutes later, diving onto Alexiou's knockdown but only finding the goalpost. It was all us until Francesco Totti started to play. He may be 35, but still has that special class. A couple of long range efforts went wide but they signalled intent nonetheless. José María Román started the second half in lively fashion, crashing a drive from distance but only over Stekelenburg's goal. Skalidis was more accurate and low with a shot seconds later, but Coppola did brilliantly to push it away. Luca Saudati's strong run came to an end when he refused to pass and Yepes dispossessed him, which was a blessing as I thought he was all set to score. We had a late penalty appeal turned down when Metzelder scythed through Balepheteke down, but Giordano Budisa, the referee, saw nothing wrong with it. Stekelenburg was required to make a fine save from Román late in the day, and although a point puts us fourth, we're in grave danger of losing touch with the top. If everyone has a successful weekend we could drop to sixth and ten points off the lead. icon_frown.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Balzaretti, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Balepheteke, Skalidis, Alexiou

After the Napoli game I travelled to Amsterdam to announce my first ever Dutch Squad as Holland Manager. In any spare time I've had I've been on scouting operations, whilst I've had a team of watchers compiling detailed dossiers on the best around. With that, here is the squad.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

************************************************************************************************

Holland - Saturday 10th March 2012

************************************************************************************************

================================================================================================

Squad

================================================================================================

No Name Position(s) Nat Born Age Caps Gls

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Bosman, Bert GK HOL 7.11.91 20 7 -

- Bouma, Wilfried D/DM/F L HOL 15.6.78 33 81 4

- Brunswijk, Jurgen M RC HOL 1.7.89 22 - -

- Heitinga, John SW/D RC HOL 15.11.83 28 2 -

- Hersi, Youssouf AM/F LC HOL 20.8.82 29 49 13

- Hofland, Kevin D C HOL 7.6.79 32 75 2

- Huntelaar, Klaas-Jan S C HOL 12.8.83 28 4 2

- Jans, Martin M LC HOL 29.1.88 24 1 -

- Kuijt, Dirk S C HOL 22.6.80 31 24 6

- Lamey, Michael D R HOL 29.11.79 32 32 -

- Mendes da Silva, David D/DM C HOL 8.4.82 29 52 4

- Oost, Tom DM RC HOL 10.2.93 19 - -

- Oude Kamphuis, Niels D/DM RC HOL 14.11.77 34 52 1

- Robben, Arjen AM/F LC HOL 23.1.84 28 57 14

- Seedorf, Dennis DM RLC HOL 9.11.86 25 - -

- Seedorf, Henk D C HOL 1.8.82 29 14 -

- Stekelenburg, Maarten GK HOL 22.9.82 29 9 -

- Varkevisser, Cor GK HOL 14.5.82 29 - -

- Zonneveld, Mike D/DM L HOL 27.10.80 31 14 1

- de Cler, Tim D L HOL 11.8.78 33 4 -

- de Jong, Jaap F C HOL 8.3.88 24 7 -

- van Beukering, Jhon S C HOL 29.9.83 28 5 1

- van Dijk, Roy D C HOL 16.6.87 24 1 -

- van Nistelrooy, Ruud S C HOL 1.7.76 35 102 63

- van der Meyde, Andy AM/F R HOL 30.9.79 32 88 9

- van der Vaart, Rafael AM LC HOL 11.2.83 29 62 8

</pre>

I've named four uncapped players, and a nice balance of experience and youth. Of the four new names (Jurgen Brunswick, Tom Oost, Dennis Seedorf, and Cor Varkevisser), I've really been impressed with the midfield pair of Brunswick and Oost, and I'm hopeful of getting them both involved.

In Varese-related news, I'm delighted that two of our most important players have finally been given international recognition. Stilianos Doukas has, at last, been given a full call-up to the Greece squad, and Andrea Todisco now harbours hopes of being the first ever player to represent Italy whilst playing for Varese (Giovanni Trappotoni played for both but not at the same time). The 19 year old has only played 80 career games, but I'm sure he can handle himself, icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

Our last match of the European season brings Barcelona to town. Despite their qualification, they have brought a full strength side to play. Mario Piras returns to his attacking midfield role.

Varese 0

Yepes sent off 47

Montanari injured 69

Barcelona 1

Martínez 90

I'm absolutely gutted for the lads. Despite being outplayed, we appeared set for a draw, and a clean sheet to boot. That combined would have given us a huge boost going into the final months of the season. Skalidis had a few early opportunities, including a twenty-third minute header he should have done better with. Buffon made a stop from Doukas, but at the other end Javier Saviola was slowly looking more dangerous. Early in the second half things became a little harder. Mario Yepes fouled Placente, and as a second yellow card was issued, the red followed. We moved to a back four as Henry struck the post from a free kick. It was pretty much end to end - Buffon made another good save from Skalidis. The Barcelona dream team started to show their class. Henry and Denilson were almost unplayable, and Saviola was lurking. Gaetano Montanari went off injured, meaning Brian Rooney was thrown in at the deep end. He handled himself well enough, especially in the later stages. In deep, deep stoppage time, we were sunk. Saviola's corner found the unmarked head of sixteen year old centre back David Martínez, who scored his first career goal. icon_frown.gif As I've said, it's a learning curve, and no shame to lose to Barcelona and Bayern Munich at all.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Asara, Montanari (Rooney 69), Cavalcante, Doukas©, Piras, Skalidis, Alexiou

Final Group A Table:

Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

1. Q FC Bayern 6 5 0 1 11 3 15

2. Q Barcelona 6 5 0 1 9 3 15

---------------------------------------------------------

3. Varese 6 2 0 4 6 6 6

4. Millwall 6 0 0 6 1 15 0

</pre>

• Administrators

I am contacted by the Dutch FA to make a squad change. Martin Jans has pulled out with injury, so I need a replacement. I find it in the form of Feyenoord's Nico Boogers.

This afternoon's meeting with Parma will be one of the most important this season. If we win we will go level on 51 points with the Gialloblu, but a defeat would seriously impair our chances of success. Montanari is still injured, so Asara swaps wings and Balzaretti returns at right back. I also have faith that Mario Piras can perform.

Varese 2

Alexiou 3

Piras 44

Parma 0

Another big game, and another example of how to produce the goods. At times Parma overpowered us, especially in midfield, but we scored at important times. After just three minutes for the first. Adrian Mutu found himself in the unfamiliar and unfortunate position of facing a dribbling Christos Alexiou. He ran away and beat the Romanian before curling a sharp effort in off of the far post, beating Diego Luciani. After their poor start Parma played like a team at the top of the table, with Adriano sending a volley off the crossbar. Another long range volley went well over from the left foot of the Brazilian forward. Then, with time in the first half running out, I got the goal for the player I really wanted. Doukas spun the ball into Piras on the edge of the box with his back to goal. A sharp twist and a turn of pace later and Lazzeri was beaten, and a lovely left foot effort found the corner. icon_smile.gif At the start of the second half both Greek forwards put attempts off target, before Parma midfield general Luigi Giandomenico spliced a shot wide. With 76 minutes on the clock we might have been awarded a penalty, as Alexiou was clearly fouled by Luciani, but it was nothing doing. We were fantastic to win this important match which puts us joint third, and still very much in contention for anything.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Balzaretti, Asara, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Piras, Skalidis, Alexiou

The first leg of our Coppa Italia Final brings Juventus here. It'll be tricky, but do-able, since they've never won at the Franco Ossola. We'll be unchanged.

Varese 0

Juventus 1

Menezes Guimaraes 70

Our grip on the trophy is slipping, in the harshest of fashions. We really didn't deserve to lose, but we did, and now we face an uphill struggle in Turin at the start of May. Christos Alexiou had an early penalty appeal rejected before Mario Yepes made a rare move upfield, causing Pegolo some worry as he needed to save well. Pegolo was then lucky to remain on the field as Alexiou was again denied a penalty by referee Enrico Delic. Pazzini then sent a volley goalwards which was saved impressively by Stekelenburg. An even better stop followed with a header from the same man. It didn't look like it was going to turn out to be our night, especially when just before half time Alexiou had a wonderful effort saved. He was utterly dejected at half time, as nothing was going his way. I contemplated taking him off, but his desire was such that he stayed on. Skalidis and Cavalcante had half-decent shots before the hour, but with twenty minutes to go Juve pounced. N'Diaye's cross evaded every red shirt, but found Carlos Menezes Guimaraes, who scored against me yet again. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif We were down and out - we couldn't muster anything. If this turns out to be a blow to the rest of our season I'll be gutted, as we really didn't deserve to lose. Not the best mood to go into my first International game with. icon_frown.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Balzaretti, Asara, Cavalcante (Lombardi 89), Doukas©, Piras (Balepheteke 89), Skalidis, Alexiou

• Administrators

Well, here I am in Amsterdam, preparing myself for my first game in charge of Holland. Their people are a demanding bunch, so I know I'll need to get off to a good start. Croatia will offer stern opposition, and a good workout. I hope to see as many players as I can.

Holland 1

Huntelaar 78

Croatia 0

It couldn't have gone any better. We won, were pretty convincing, and Croatia didn't even get a shot at goal. We started well, with teenage debutant Tom Oost supplying Ruud van Nistelrooy with a chance he had saved by Pletikosa. Using the same formation I use with Varese, we were in full control, without scoring. Stipe Pletikosa was very busy as van Nistelrooy had shot after shot turned away. Arjen Robben and Youssouf Hersi both experienced anguish as their efforts fell flat. Oost came very close to a debut goal with a rifling half volley which skidded wide - only just though. Mendes da Silva had the last chance of the half with a powerful header yet again turned away. Five changes were made at half time, and whilst it took a little while for the new group to gel, the signs were positive. The new strike duo of Jaap de Jong and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar were combining very well, especially with Rafael van der Vaart having been moved into his preferred role in the much talked of 'hole'. With twelve minutes to go Holland opened their account under their new boss. Jaap de Jong's free kick was deflected away by the wall, but only to Huntelaar, and he finished sublimely for his third goal in five caps. icon_smile.gif Looking back now, I can be very satisfied. I've learnt an awful lot about Holland and international management, which will be of massive benefit when we face a huge match with England next month. I'm happy. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Bouma (D.Seedorf 46), Hofland, van Dijk, H.Seedorf (Heitinga 46), Oost, van der Vaart, Robben (Brunswick 46), van Nistelrooy (Huntelaar 46), Hersi (de Jong 46), Mendes da Silva©

Back to League action and a trip to Lecce, where we must win in order to stay in touch with the sides above us. The South American international calender deprives us of Mario Yepes and Milton do Ó, so Kim Bø and Gaetano Montanari fill in in central defence.

Lecce 1

C.Zanini 67

Varese 2

Alexiou 6,51

A goal six minutes into each half from goalscorer extraordinaire Christos Alexiou gave us three more crucial points. He is now just three goals away from overtaking Carlos Alberto Viera Dos Santos as the top League goalscorer in Varese's history. After Mirko Vucinic had the first chance of the game, we had an opportunity to take the lead, which was not turned down. Domenico Asara, revelling in recent games as I've had to switch him from left to right, put in a lovely cross for Alexiou to nod past Cristian Lugo. Following this were a Doukas free kick and a powerful volley from Alexiou, both of which Lugo did well to deal with. We were in full control at 1-0, and if Skalidis' finishing had been less wayward the lead would have been stretched further. That said, Lugo made another fine stop close to the break from a very long range shot by the Greek forward. At the start of the second half Alexiou made it two. Doukas' corner was placed onto his head for his 25th of another productive season. With it, Doukas reached a tally of nineteen assists (ten in the League) which is another brilliant achievement. Stekelenburg's first save game from Vicari's drive which he did well to save considering his vision was obscured by the legs of Kim Bø. Claudio Zanini's rather hopeful shot halved the deficit and gave Lecce hope, hope they nearly turned into reality when Enrico Valente found some room for a header. It went over, and we took the win. With seven games left, anything is still possible. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Montanari, Bø, Todisco, Balzaretti, Asara, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Piras, Skalidis, Alexiou

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

As this time of the season a game against a struggling side can mean two things: It could be just the win you're looking for, or more likely it will be a tough battle against a side fighting for their lives. Palermo would fit the latter. My defence is back together, and we're at our strongest.

Varese 3

Alexiou 18, 33 pen

Skalidis 67

Palermo 1

Garitano 41

It might have looked like an easy win, but although we were convincing in the end Palermo made things hard. In veteran keeper Morgan De Sanctis they have a capable stopper, as he showed when stopping Piras' early header. Piras' heading ability isn't one of his major strengths, but it is an attribute Christos Alexiou excels in. His eighteenth minute strike was timed perfectly to complete a fine move. It wasn't long before the lead was doubled. Stilianos Doukas' break into the Palermo goalmouth was halted by a body check courtesy of visiting captain Matteo Bovo. Since Doukas was a little winded and requiring treatment, Alexiou took the spot kick and converted his 77th League goal for Varese, in the process equalling Santos' tally. José Luis Garitano headed Vincetzo Guerini's team back in with a shout before half time, but the conversation topic at the break amongst the fans and media was as to whether Alexiou would complete his hat-trick and become the top league scorer in the history of the club. He didn't have many opportunities though. Anastasios Skalidis had a header and a curiously bending effort both saved by De Sanctis, before he finally got one right to hit his twentieth of the season. Doukas was trapped with apparently nowhere to go. A switch of the ball later and compatriot Skalidis had buried the chance and guaranteed three more vital points. Parma's defeat at Salernitana means we are into third, and Inter's goalless draw at home to Chievo puts us within two points of them. Milan are still seven points (possibly ten with a game in hand) away, but it's looking bright. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Balzaretti (Asara 63), Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Piras, Skalidis, Alexiou

After the game I noticed a little analysis of comparitive records between Santos and Alexiou. Santos scored 96 goals for the club in 206 games at a goals per game ratio of 0.46. Alexiou has 108 goals in 227 with a goals per game ratio of 0.475 - a marginal difference. In the League, Santos scored 77 in 157 (gpg of 0.49), with Alexiou tallying 77 in 160 at a gpg of 0.48. The differences are very slight, showing just how good each player is. If anything, Santos could claim more credit as he was in essence a midfielder. icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

Tonight's trip to Bologna is our hardest game remaining, but also very important. Results earlier today mean that if we win and Lazio beat Inter in tonight's other match, we will move into second. That said, Bologna have quality in abundance, and will make it tough.

Bologna 2

Ligkos 17

Bizzarri 65

Varese 2

Skalidis 45

Piras 90

How many times recently have I talked about scoring at important times. Again, a goal at the end of either half saved us. Saying that, how only two goals went in from nineteen efforts is baffling. We went behind to the first opening of the game. In the knowledge that Manolis Ligkos is one of the most prolific scorers of goals in the world, we proceeded to allow him time and space to score his 24th of another high scoring season. Our finishing on the other hand was distinctly average. Skalidis, as usual, wasted a fair share of opportunities ranging from half-decent to sitters. Pompei did need to make saves - from headers courtesy of defensive pairing Balzaretti and Montanari. Balzaretti hit a powerful shot which shaved the post minutes later. Right at the end of the half we were level. He might miss a fair few, but as Anastasios Skalidis turned Bucchi and scored past Pompei, he showed why he now has 21 goals this season, and 39 in 85 for Varese. We weren't able to mount upon this in the second half, as Bologna's stifling tactic worked wonders. It even got them back in the lead. Gaetano Porro advanced freely, eventually finding rookie forward Franco Bizzarri, who beat Stekelenburg with a volley. Time was ticking away, and more importantly we were still missing chances. Then, with seconds left, Cavalcante's quick mind allowed him to send a long cross behind the static Bologna back three. Mario Piras, equally as alert, stole in and headed another equaliser. icon_smile.gif News reached me that Lazio had beaten Inter 1-0, meaning that we are still fourth, but just a point off both Cúper and Mancini's sides, with everything still to play for. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Balzaretti, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Piras, Skalidis, Alexiou

• Administrators

It hasn't been long since I last had to name a Dutch Squad, but now, with a fortnight until the England game, I need to name another party. With the only name I want to call in (Martin Jans) still injured, it's the same 26 as before, listed below. icon_smile.gif

Squad

No Name Position(s) Nat Born Age Caps Gls

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Bosman, Bert GK HOL 7.11.91 20 7 -

- Bouma, Wilfried D/DM/F L HOL 15.6.78 33 81 4

- Brunswijk, Jurgen M RC HOL 1.7.89 22 - -

- Heitinga, John SW/D RC HOL 15.11.83 28 2 -

- Hersi, Youssouf AM/F LC HOL 20.8.82 29 49 13

- Hofland, Kevin D C HOL 7.6.79 32 75 2

- Huntelaar, Klaas-Jan S C HOL 12.8.83 28 4 2

- Jans, Martin M LC HOL 29.1.88 24 1 -

- Kuijt, Dirk S C HOL 22.6.80 31 24 6

- Lamey, Michael D R HOL 29.11.79 32 32 -

- Mendes da Silva, David D/DM C HOL 8.4.82 29 52 4

- Oost, Tom DM RC HOL 10.2.93 19 - -

- Oude Kamphuis, Niels D/DM RC HOL 14.11.77 34 52 1

- Robben, Arjen AM/F LC HOL 23.1.84 28 57 14

- Seedorf, Dennis DM RLC HOL 9.11.86 25 - -

- Seedorf, Henk D C HOL 1.8.82 29 14 -

- Stekelenburg, Maarten GK HOL 22.9.82 29 9 -

- Varkevisser, Cor GK HOL 14.5.82 29 - -

- Zonneveld, Mike D/DM L HOL 27.10.80 31 14 1

- de Cler, Tim D L HOL 11.8.78 33 4 -

- de Jong, Jaap F C HOL 8.3.88 24 7 -

- van Beukering, Jhon S C HOL 29.9.83 28 5 1

- van Dijk, Roy D C HOL 16.6.87 24 1 -

- van Nistelrooy, Ruud S C HOL 1.7.76 35 102 63

- van der Meyde, Andy AM/F R HOL 30.9.79 32 88 9

- van der Vaart, Rafael AM LC HOL 11.2.83 29 62 8

- Boogers, Nico AMC HOL 2.10.82 29 - -

</pre>

• Administrators

Things could not have worked out better this afternoon. Firstly we have the benefit of playing in the evening, knowing all of today's events. The Milan derby finished 3-3, whilst Juventus beat Lazio 2-0. All of which means a win at home to Salernitana will put us in second place, with a slight chance of catching Milan. Even better, Serie A's best player this season, Lambros Chonos, is missing for the visitors. On our part, Piras makes way for Balepheteke.

Varese 1

Alexiou 89

Salernitana 0

What a time Christos Alexiou chose to become our all time leading League goalscorer! icon_smile.gif Salernitana were extremely tough to break down, and at times were dangerous in attack. An eleventh minute header from Skalidis was our first attempt on goal, which was followed by a shot which required the reflexes of Carotenuto. Milton do Ó's 39th minute penalty appeal was not upheld by referee Diego Curcic, and Alexiou's savage shot at the end of the half was equally as fruitless. At the start of the second half, Sergio González, ironically the Salernitana player who was involved in the first half penalty appeal, had another coming together with Milton do Ó, this time in our penalty area. Again, Curcic saw nothing and waved play on. Silvio Sánchez hit the crossbar with ten minutes to go as things became tight and tense, and I desperately made any tactical changes which would be of benefit to us. It all came together just in time. Cavalcante's knockdown from Balzaretti's cross was too close to Carotenuto, but the Salerno keeper could only punch it at Alexiou, who coolly finished for the 78th time in the League for Varese, and just in time. icon_smile.gif We're second in the table now!

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Balzaretti, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Balepheteke (Piras 67), Skalidis (Dobek 81), Alexiou

The top of the table currently looks like this:

1. Milan 30 23 2 5 56 20 71

---------------------------------------------------------

2. VARESE 30 18 7 5 44 23 61

3. Inter 30 18 6 6 45 31 60

4. Lazio 30 18 5 7 43 24 59

5. Parma 30 17 7 6 41 17 58

6. Juventus 30 16 8 6 43 31 56

</pre>

Anyone down to Salernitana in eighth place can still make second place theirs. It'll be one hell of a final month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

At the end of both our Serie A seasons, Atalanta have caused problems. I doubt they'll be any different this afternoon. We can take advantage with four of the sides in and around us meeting each other, but only as long as we win. Since Balepheteke is on duty with Cameroon, and I need a defensive element, Giovanni Lombardi starts for the first time in a free role.

Atalanta 1

Bergamo 10

Varese 2

Alexiou 8

Skalidis 22

Well, we might not be able to win Serie A anymore, as once again Milan have secured Lo Scudetto after beating Juventus 2-0. In Bergamo, Atalanta were a shade of their usual selves, almost resigned to relegation. That saying, they were pretty lively at times. We took an early lead through Alexiou, who is one goal away from reaching thirty. Lombardi played a good pass into his path, and with a flick of the foot in slid his 29th of the campaign. The lead wasn't to last for long. The aptly named Nicola Bergamo scored for Atalanta for the first time, driving home from Stekelenburg's parry after Romeo's effort. Soon enough we were back ahead. Doukas whipped in a venomous free kick which Skalidis only needed to get the merest of touches on to score. Gabriele La Notte made two more saves from Skalidis before the half was out, although Bianchi had a half chance for the home side. Knowing we had the game won, we killed it in the second half, preferring to save ourselves for a more important game. Fabio Gatti had us worried near the death with a shot that Stekelenburg missed, but the shot missed the goal. icon_smile.gif The win was badly needed, as everyone within catching distance won, so we're still second by a sole point. That's where I'm aiming to finish.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Balzaretti, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Lombardi, Skalidis, Alexiou

Millwall approach this morning with a surprising £400,000 bid for Vittorio Baggio. I reject it on the grounds he's one for the future.

Now I'm off to the Netherlands to face England.

After a promising start to my career as Holland manager, a sterner test faces us tonight in the form of England. Steve McLaren's side will be one of the favourites in Euro 2012 in just over a month, so this will be a good chance to see where we are. I start with one change from the side which started against Croatia, as Huntelaar plays ahead of Van Nistelrooy, and the intention of changing as much as possible at half time.

Holland 2

Kuijt 62

de Jong 66

England 1

A.Cole 9

What a difference six substitutions make! icon_biggrin.gif We were very poor in the first half, but utterly dominant after the restart and ended up with a win which seriously damages England's chances in the summer. They started well, despite Andrew Thorpe limping off injured, and took an early lead when Ashley Cole stole in unmarked and beat Stekelenburg to the ball to score only his second goal in 85 caps. How we weren't further behind is beyond me. Young Tom Oost did very well to hold out against the double pronged attack of Etherington and Cole, to the point where he was too tired to resume at the break. Roy van Dijk kept Cherno Samba quiet for the majority of the game, which is good on every level except that I wanted to see him in full flight so as I could gauge whether I want to sign him icon_biggrin.gif (there'll be other days for that icon_wink.gif ). Six changes later, and we were unrecognisable. Seven minutes into the second half we had a stroke of luck. Matt Etherington scored, or so he thought. He was offside. It gave us the impetus we needed. Dirk Kuijt, out of favour at Arsenal and not having played very much, showed just what he can do with a wonderful, twenty yard effort from the outside of his right boot. Minutes later we went 2-1 up. Niels Oude Kamphuis crossed from the right after runnings seventy yards, and PSV forward Jaap de Jong rose to head in for the first time in the Oranje. icon_smile.gif He might have had a second but for a rogue goalpost seemingly appearing out of nowhere to stop his powerful effort. Overall it's another satisfying win, and I'm learning by the minute at this new level of management. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Bouma (D.Seedorf 45), Hofland, van Dijk, H.Seedorf (Heitinga 45), Oost (Oude Kamphuis 45), van der Vaart, Hersi (Kuijt 45), Huntelaar (de Jong 45), Robben (Brunswick 45), Mendes da Silva©

To my delight, both Stilianos Doukas and Andrea Todisco earned their first international caps as second half substitutes tonight. icon_smile.gif Mario Yepes also reached a century of international caps. He follows Carlos Valderrama, Ivan Cordoba, and Oscar Cordoba into triple figures for Colombia.

• Administrators

A win at home to Venezia should almost secure our place in second. Should, but it depends on other results. Montanari has a slight injury, so Asara comes in.

Varese 0

Venezia 0

Bugger. We're back into fourth place as a result of a frustrating afternoon's football. Looking at Inter and Lazio's run ins, they're harder than ours, but they are also games both sides could win, leaving us looking at another qualifying campaign for the Champions League. Venezia have found us out time and again in the past, and they did the same in our last home game of the season. Mirco Paluzzi in the away goal made an impressive save early on from Alexiou's shot, before Stekelenburg was equally as good from Mate Bilic's header. The remainder of the first half saw chances missed at either end - with Artem Kontsevoy wasting the best - and midfield battles. Into the second half, and Venezia carried on their dominance. Nicola Vigano and Rodrigo Taddei were running the game, but without much success. Just short of twenty minutes from time Doukas' cross found Skalidis, and he headed us into what he thought was a lead. The linesman on the near side flagged for offside, which looked ridiculous as Skalidis was clearly behind Jacopo Dei Rossi. Further footage showed it was Alexiou who was offside, but his involvement was debatable. Stekelenburg and Paluzzi each made a good save before the end, but it finished 0-0, which is not the scoreline I wanted. icon_frown.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Balzaretti, Asara, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Lombardi (Piras 82), Skalidis, Alexiou

After what seems to have been an age, it's time for the second leg of the Coppa Italia Final. Juventus hold a 1-0 lead and that away goal from the first leg at the Franco Ossola. Which means we have an almost impossible task. Not totally though. Balzaretti is suspended, but Montanari returns.

Juventus 2

Menezes Guimaraes 111

Beasley 120

Varese 3

Skalidis 80

Cavalcante 99

Alexiou 101

Yepes sent off 100

After extra time, 3-3 on aggregate, Varese win 4-2 on penalties

Penalty Sequence: Christos Alexiou (Varese) Scored, Matteo Paro (Juventus) Scores, Stilianos Doukas Scores, Carlos Menezes Guimaraes Scores, Anastasios Skalidis Scores, Alassane N'Diaye Saved, Milton do Ó Scores, DaMarcus Beasley Misses

Where to start? icon_biggrin.gif People will be talking about this game as one of the all time classics between Italian sides. I'm not sure I've been involved in a more tense and nailbiting affair. For much of the first half we were under the cosh, and really needed Stekelenburg and his defence to be well organised and on top of their game. As always, Carlos Menezes Guimaraes was the dangerman, but was also the main culprit of wasting chances in a surprisingly sparce first half considering what was to unfold. During my half time team talk I reminded the side that it was still 0-0 and therefore we still had an outside chance, but again still a lot to do. We had to wait until Lombardi's shot over on 56 minutes for our first chance, but then things started going. Minutes later Alexiou headed a corner against the crossbar, then with eighteen left on the clock he smashed a volley against the crossbar. With time always against us it looked as if we would have to relinquish our hold on the Coppa Italia. Then, with ten minutes to go, we took the lead. Cavalcante took the loose ball forward and played Skalidis in. He proceeded to drive home. It took the game into extra time, to the surprise of Juventus. I felt we might have had the upper hand, and so it proved. We went ahead for the first time in the tie as Claudio Cavalcante, who was huge on the night, powered through and scored his fourth of his best season here. The next few minutes were amazing. Mario Yepes shoved DaMarcus Beasley to the ground, which earned him a second yellow and a red we couldn't afford. Things looked far better seconds later though. After carrying the ball forward, Skalidis played in Christos Alexiou, and he clipped an effort in off the bar to reach the milestone of thirty, and surely sew the game up.....

With Juventus now panicking, we faced an onslaught from Ranieri's side (who of course had the man advantage). Menezes Guimaraes scored his obligatory goal against us, turning in Castellini's cross. We thought it was still ours though. Until the very death. Matteo Paro laid off Antonio Cassano. He hit the bar, and DaMarcus Beasley put the rebound in to tie things up and take us to penalties. Alexiou slotted his away, as did Paro, Doukas, and Menezes Guimaraes in turn. Skalidis smashed his in, then we took the advantage as Alassane N'Diaye's effort was brilliantly parried by Stekelenburg. Milton do Ó held his nerve, but Beasley didn't, and we had retained the Coppa Italia, only the seventh time such a feat has been achieved! icon_biggrin.gif It feels great to have another trophy in the cabinet, making everything worth it, and gives us the drive for the end of the season. Stilianos Doukas lifted the huge piece of silverware, and the party started. icon_cool.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Asara, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Lombardi, Skalidis, Alexiou

• Administrators

Hopefully the midweek euphoria will not have an adverse effect on a potentially stick trip to Umbria and Perugia's Renato Curi. Mario Yepes has yet another suspension, so Bø comes in.

Perugia 1

Todisco 22 og

D'Ambrosio sent off 28

Varese 1

Alexiou 73 pen

Another example of the strength in Serie A. Eleven shots on our part resulted in one goal, and against ten men. If we fail to reach the Champions League it'll be our own fault. Doukas nearly gave us a very early lead with a drive across the goal which was a whisker away from the post. Skalidis and Alexiou then went close before we went behind in cruel fashion. Gianni Donati's cross took a big deflection off of Andrea Todisco, and past Stekelenburg. We were given a break six minutes later when Emanuele D'Ambrosio was given a second yellow card, and then a red. What wasn't good for us was that it forced them back, which made their defence harder to break down. Martino Caccia made an amazing stop from a savage strike by Alexiou just after half time, but then followed a spell of tedious play on both parts. Finally, with just short of a quarter of the match remaining, we scored. Giovanni Lombardi was seen to have been fouled inside the eighteen yard box by Gonzalo Sorondo, and Alexiou made it thirty-one for the season. I'm sure he'd have sacrificed it for three points, but they never came, and it really is out of our hands whether we make the Champions League automatically. Fourth place is very much in our hands though, icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Bø, Todisco, Balzaretti, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Lombardi, Skalidis, Alexiou

The last day shapes up as so: Inter Milan have a home game against Salernitana, where they could very conceivably slip up. However, the Nerazzurri have a 100% record at home to the Salerno side. Lazio visit already relegated Atalanta, but could still lose. We face Verona, who have been relegated for weeks, and should pose no threat.

I have been invited, as Holland manager, to cast my vote in the FIFA World Player of the Year Awards. The nominees are

Adriano (Parma)

Julius Aghahowa (Bayern Munich)

Hernan Crespo (Bayern Munich)

Éwerthon (Inter)

Mateja Kezman (Barcelona)

Lucio (Barcelona)

Andrea Pirlo (Milan)

Juan Román Riquelme (Barcelona)

Roque Santa Cruz (Bayern Munich)

Javier Saviola (Barcelona)

It's a sign of our progression that I've witnessed every one of these ten names in an opposition shirt against us this season. Based on those performances, I pick Javier Saviola, as he worried my side and performed better than anyone else.

• Administrators

We started the season in the Marc'Antonio Bentegodi stadium in Verona with a visit to Chievo. We finish the year with a visit to Verona, who are down but are looking to bow out with pride. Things are out of our hands, so all we can do is win. One change is made - Mario Yepes for Kim Bø.

Verona 1

Contra 52 pen

Varese 1

Skalidis 72

Cavalcante injured 49

A draw might look poor, but when I tell you Lazio lost 3-0 at Atalanta and Parma by the same scoreline at Napoli, we've finished a record third place! icon_cool.gif It would have been a win but for the heroics of goalkeeper Davide Ripa. Vincenzo D'Amico started well for the home side but we were able to crowd him out. We were average at best for the first half, excluding Skalidis' liveliness at the end of the first 45, hitting the crossbar with a header. Early in the second half Claudio Cavalcante went off after twisting his ankle, which was depressing, but worse followed. Mario Piras jumped too aggressively with Juan José Cacho, and was penalised with a penalty. Cosmin Contra slotted the ball in to give Verona a shock lead. We then saw the pressure really kick in, with eventual reward twenty minutes after falling behind. Doukas' corner gave him a 23rd assist of the season, a total bettered by one in goals by Skalidis, who headed it in. Ripa made six more stunning saves before the end, and Skalidis also hit the post. A draw originally looked bad, but as results came through the celebrations could start. We're back into the Champions League! icon_biggrin.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Balzaretti, Montanari, Cavalcante (Lombardi 49), Doukas©, Piras, Skalidis, Alexiou

• Administrators

Final table:

Italian Serie A - Sunday 13th May 2012

2011/2 Table

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st C Milan 34 15 1 1 37 4 10 2 5 25 19 78

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Inter 34 14 3 0 32 10 8 3 6 21 22 72

3rd Varese 34 13 3 1 24 8 6 7 4 24 18 67

4th Lazio 34 13 2 2 28 9 7 4 6 20 19 66

5th Parma 34 12 4 1 27 6 7 3 7 17 16 64

6th Salernitana 34 12 2 3 38 13 7 3 7 20 18 62

7th Juventus 34 13 2 2 33 13 5 6 6 16 23 62

8th Roma 34 13 1 3 30 9 5 6 6 12 20 61

9th Napoli 34 12 3 2 31 14 3 1 13 11 30 49

10th Bologna 34 10 1 6 34 25 5 3 9 22 35 49

11th Chievo 34 7 6 4 24 22 4 4 9 16 27 43

12th Perugia 34 6 5 6 14 13 6 0 11 21 29 41

13th Lecce 34 7 2 8 21 22 3 3 11 8 21 35

14th Venezia 34 4 4 9 15 22 3 3 11 12 23 28

15th Palermo 34 3 4 10 15 30 5 0 12 16 30 28

16th R Atalanta 34 4 2 11 13 18 3 2 12 14 29 25

17th R Cagliari 34 5 2 10 16 23 0 4 13 8 33 21

18th R Verona 34 2 7 8 18 28 0 0 17 6 38 13

</pre>

• Administrators

Season in review once again....

Well, it's been another very eventful twelve months in the history of Varese. It was always going to be hard to top a season where we won the Coppa Italia, the UEFA Cup, and finished fourth in the League. In many ways I think we did. Third place might have eventually been disappointing considering second was in our grasp, but it's still a marked improvement on last year. Just five defeats is our lowest in Serie A, and we reached a tally of points higher than before as well. Retaining the Coppa Italia was also nice, and to reach the Champions League Second Group Phase and be so impressive against Barcelona and Bayern Munich is something I could never have imagined.

By now I don't need to tell you about Maarten Stekelenburg. Once again he pulled off the unbelievable, and just twenty-six goals conceded in thirty-four league games is testament not only to him but to our ever improving defence. Losing Daniel Orellana last summer was a blow, no matter how petulant he was. Milton do Ó arrived as something of an unknown, but was our most consistent performer on the left of our back three, and ended the season as a Brazilian international. Despite being 36, Mario Yepes has been consistent and has a wealth of knowledge which he is passing onto the younger players. However, some shaky performances in the Champions League might drive me to consider finding a replacement. Then we have Andrea Todisco. He hasn't yet played 100 career games, is only nineteen years old, but has been named in the Italian squad for Euro 2012. He just continues to progress at such a rapid pace. Interest is there from all the big clubs, but he has kept his feet firmly on the ground and will be at the heart of our defence for a long while. Federico Balzaretti was signed on a free last summer and played every league game, proving a driving force at times. Domenico Asara played the European games and put in some amazing performances. Gaetano Montanari is also progressing very nicely too. Kim Bø and Brian Rooney played games at times, and never looked out of place.

After last season's amazing totals, Stilianos Doukas was not expected to repeat the feats. Yet 23 assists and eight goals from my captain again proved he is the best all round midfielder in the world. Greece finally capped him in April's friendlies, and he's set to be playing for them far more often. Claudio Cavalcante had his best season since joining Varese. He scored a fair share of important goals, but made eighteen more, and was a real colossus when required. He appears to have come of age at a time when the club will really need him. The season was also a breakthrough for Giovanni Lombardi. Pre-season interest from Parma and Chelsea made me think we might be onto something, and whilst not being spectacular, he did what he could in impressive fashion, and will be more involved next year. Cameroon's Charly Balepheteke was an enigma. At times he appeared to be the replacement I needed for Carlos Alberto Viera Dos Santos, but at others he was anonymous. He can, and will, be a matchwinner for us.

55 goals between my two main strikers is the reason we are making progress. It's OK if we can defend well and create from midfield, but someone has to finish it. Christos Alexiou is now Varese's all time leading goalscorer after hitting his best total in one season for us - 31. He scored some important goals at the end of the season, and was always able to get us out of a hole. Anastasios Skalidis wasn't far behind on 24. He wasn't as amazing as last season, but after a few indifferent performances in October and November he came back well and drove us on. Mario Piras signed for £1.8m, which will be a bargain, mark my words. Four goals is a little lower than expected, but he cannot expect to break the Greek duo immediately. Carlton Cole did well when he was given the chance.

Once again we look to what we can do next. I feel had we not had such a tough start to the season we would have been a lot closer to Milan, and next season our aim will definitely be to win Lo Scudetto. Progress in the European Cup would also be nice, especially after what we've learnt this last season. For yet another season we've progressed, and now it's time to really drive on. icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

And as ever, all you need to know about football around Europe.....

Six in a row for Liverpool in England. Gerard Houllier's side won the Premiership title by six points from Millwall in second, with Manchester United and Birmingham following them in. Going down are Southampton, Bristol City, and Brentford, all of whom found the top flight a struggle too far. Leicester City, Manchester City, and Fulham are no strangers to the top flight, and will return next year. Other news of note: Everton make the drop to Division Two for the first time ever.

Making all sorts of records in Spain are Barcelona, who have won an almost unprecedented eleventh consecutive League title. They started the season pretty averagely, but somehow came through to pip Atlético Madrid by six clear points. Mallorca and Valencia make up the top four. Athletic Bilbao, Sevilla, and Real Sociedad are all familiar to La Segunda Division, and will return there next year. Their replacements will be Getafe, Las Palmas, and Elche.

For the first time in eleven years Bayern Munich have won the German Bundesliga. Werder Bremen were left trailing by eight points as Hernan Crespo, Olexiy Belik, and Julius Aghahowa shot them to glory. Leverkusen's win over the Champions on the final day put them into the Champons League at the expense of Stuttgart on goal difference. Freiburg, Kaiserslautern, and 1860 Munchen are relegated, and promoted are Schalke, Koln, and Borussia Moenchengladbach.

In France Nantes reclaimed Le Championnat after losing out to Lorient last season. Jérémie Aliardiere struck 37 goals, assisted by almost a goal per game from fifteen goal forward Eduard Meka. Seventeen points back were Montpellier, with Metz a further fourteen back. But the real news is at the bottom. The relegation of Guingamp might not be a surprise, but last seasons runners up Lens, and Lyon, twice Champions during the 00's, were both relegated by some considerable margin. Benefitting are Beauvais, Valenciennes, and Nice, all of whom are promoted from Ligue 2. Also, Paris-SG are on the way back, having earned promotion to the same division this past season.

Finally, Milan have clinched the European Cup after many failures, beating city rivals Inter by Matteo Bright's golden goal decider in Rome. Lazio took the UEFA Cup on penalties, outshooting Man Utd in Amsterdam.

• Administrators

Achieving? icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, cheers for the replies, and back I go. icon_smile.gif

Once again it's the time where Awards are given out icon_smile.gif

FIFA World Player of the Year - Hernan Jorge Crespo (Bayern Munich)

World Footballer of the Year - Hernan Jorge Crespo (Bayern Munich)

Serie A Manager of the Year - Carlo Ancelotti (Milan)

Serie A Player of the Year - Manolis Ligkos (Bologna)

Serie A Young Player of the Year - Gaetano Montanari (Varese

Serie A Defender of the Year - Alessio Falanga (Lecce)

Serie A Goalkeeper of the Year - Maarten Stekelenburg (Varese)

Serie A Top Goalscorer - Manolis Ligkos (Bologna, 32 goals)

Serie A Italian Player of the Year - Roberto Colombini (Inter)

Serie A Foreign Player of the Year - Manolis Ligkos (Bologna)

In the Team of the Season, Maarten Stekelenburg is named in goal, with Gaetano Montanari in defence. Stilianos Doukas is selected in central midfield, with Skalidis on the bench. I feel that Christos Alexiou, as second top scorer in the League, was a little overlooked.

Stekelenburg confirmed once again he is the best in the business with a fourth consecutive Goalkeeper's Award, and to my surprise, Gaetano Montanari was considered the best youngster in Serie A. icon_smile.gif In my opinion, Andrea Todisco was awesome, but Montanari also did very well, and I'm pleased for him.

Inter approach the club this morning with an offer totalling £10.1m for my captain, Stilianos Doukas. £9.5m up front, and £600k after thirty games. Two years ago I would have snapped their hands off, but now, they can go away. I wouldn't sell him for £30m.

More Awards

European Footballer of the Year - Luca Toni (Milan)

European Goalkeeper of the Year - Ivan Pelizzoli (FC Bayern)

European Defender of the Year - Wilfried Bouma (Barcelona)

European Midfielder of the Year - Adrian Mutu (Parma)

European Striker of the Year - Luca Toni (Milan)

• Administrators

The new fixtures list has been published, and we have a very tough start. Milan come to us on the opening day, followed by a trip to Juventus, then a visit from Turin's other side, Torino. Then a double header against Roma and Lazio. Ouch icon_redface.gif . If we mean business, as we do, we have to start well.

Just the one signing arrives on the day the window opens. Dennis Seedorf is someone I know from my Dutch squad, and is a versatile defensive midfielder, perfect for us as a backup or a player who can force his way in. For £1.5m it's a good deal. I don't intend on signing masses once more, for we have some cracking youngsters coming through, and we have everything in place. All we need is to find the right combination to unlock the big sides. However, I may attempt one or two more deals so as to not be left behind. It could be a real breakthrough year for a lot of players here.

Despite not wanting another striker, I couldn't refuse the chance to snap up Juventus' Spanish yoingster Fernando Escudero. He really is one for the future, and at twenty he has a lot in him, having already scored goals for Badajoz and Fiorentina. I'm considering loaning him out, but in any case, I have transfer listed Stephen McPhee and Carlton Cole to make room. A fee of £2.8m is paid to Juventus, a bargain for someone of his talents.

In the draw for the European Cup 3rd Qualifying Phase, we are up against either Dinamo Tirana or Slovan Bratislava. Needless to say, I expect nothing less than a comprehensive aggregate win.

Dinamo Tirana came through after a penalty shootout, so we'll be facing them.

• Administrators

After what seems like an age we're back into action with the home leg of our Champions League qualifier, against Dinamo Tirana. Same formation, almost the same line-up. Mario Yepes' suspension gives me a perfect chance to use Brian Rooney, at the start of a season I hope to use him far more regularly. Mario Piras is given the attacking midfield berth once more.

Varese 4

Bulku og 6

Skalidis 12

Alexiou 35

Montanari 85

Dinamo Tirana 1

Kuqi 54

We were OK, a little rusty, but played well enough to deserve a 4-1 win. Tirana weren't as poor as I'd have expected. After an abysmal start they made us work for everything. Only six minutes were needed to take the lead, as Montanari's header deflected quite badly off of Ervin Bulku and into the net. Just before he made it two, Skalidis hit the post with a header. From Asara's cross, his next one was far more accurate, crashing into the onion bag. The form of Asara delights me. After a good start to his career he tailed off somewhat, especially since becoming an Albanian international, but recently he has been absolutely awesome. It was all one way traffic, and Skalidis was once more denied by the woodwork on twenty-four. Soon enough it was three though, with a pinpoint ball from Cavalcante finding Alexiou in perfect position to add another to his ever increasing career haul. I used the second half to give debuts to Escudero and Dennis Seedorf, the former up front with Skalidis moving back to the 'hole'. To my dismay, we conceded a soft goal to Kuqi, after not defending a corner all too well. Escudero almost made it a debut to remember, but his low shot hit the post for the third time in the game. Following even more dominance without reward, we added the fourth late in the day, as Montanari cracked a beaut from the edge of the area to improve his ever-improving reputation.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Rooney, Todisco, Asara, Montanari, Cavalcante (Seedorf 45), Doukas©, Piras (Escudero 45), Skalidis, Alexiou

• Administrators

Milan arrive this morning with a £275,000 bid for Giovanni Lombardi before our double meeting in the next three weeks. Considering this is derisory, and Lombardi is seriously in my plans, no deal is ever in the making.

Our first true test of the new season is to face a Milan side who are constantly getting stronger, in the SuperCoppa Italiana, the Italian version of the Community Shield. Balepheteke comes in for Piras, and Yepes for Rooney.

Varese 2

Skalidis 22

Alexiou 57

Milan 1

Cole 59

Milan could have played a stronger side I suppose, but they still had some fine talent on show, which makes the win more satisfying. We're starting to look the part again after a long summer, which is good. Balepheteke started nicely, always a god sign, with a shot into the side netting. The opening goal came after twenty minutes of nothing-ness. Alexiou turned into a blind alley, and so had to pass to Skalidis. His Greek compatriot smashed in an almost unstoppable effort past Abbiati. Two minutes later it was our old foe, the woodwork, preventing Skalidis doubling the lead with header. Not a lot more happened before we went two-nil ahead on fifty-seven. Doukas showed nice feet to baffle the Milan defence, and then crossed for Alexiou to rise and meet the ball first to score comprehensively. Minutes later Joe Cole produced a moment of magic, beating Cavalcante, Todisco, and Montanari before composing himself and beating Stekelenburg to give his side something to work with. What pleased me for the remainder of the game is how we managed to control the game and limit a team of Milan's capabilities to what we wanted. Our defending was strong, and we are once more looking scarily potent in attack, with the Greek triumvirate linking so well. We face what will probably be a stronger Milan side in eight days, and that will show where we are.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Asara, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Balepheteke, Skalidis, Alexiou

For the visit to Tirana I am able to rotate the team a little since we hold a 4-1 first leg lead. Dennis Seedorf, Gio Lombardi, and Mario Piras come in for Domenico Asara, Claudio Cavalcante, and Anastasios Skalidis.

Dinamo Tirana 1

Sinani 49

Varese 1

Bushaj 62 og

The result doesn't bother me, as we did what we had to do, and some good performances were put in as well. Dennis Seedorf had a fine match on his full debut, and although we dominated without winning, we were always comfortable in the knowledge we were through. I started Piras to try and get him on the goal trail, and he appeared to be eager, after just two minutes heading slightly off target. Balepheteke was also trying to impress, but the first half in general was disappointing as we went in level at 0-0. Even worse, at the start of the second half, Dinamo took the lead through Artur Sinani, who scored with a superb left foot volley. Our equaliser was somewhat fortunate, but warranted nonetheless. Doukas shot from distance, and diverting it into his own net was Tirana captain Arben Bushaj - the second own goal we've benefitted from against them. Skalidis came on to try and score the winner, but not he, nor Lombardi or Alexiou, could find the combination. Not to worry though, as the trip wasn't the greatest, but we're into the hat for the draw, and that's all that matters. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Seedorf, Montanari, Lombardi, Doukas©, Balepheteke (Skalidis 85), Piras, Alexiou

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

We find ourselves in Group B of the Champions League at the draw in Monaco, along with Liverpool, Anderlecht, and Sparta Prague. We beat Anderlecht home and away last season, but Liverpool are a massive threat. I'm confident though. icon_smile.gif

I'm not happy having had to wait until Monday for our opening game, since Milan played in the European Super Cup on Friday, but we have to be in the right frame of mind this afternoon. We're playing the strongest eleven possible.

Varese 0

Milan 1

Kutuzov 55

I really am disappointed. We find ourselves in the strange position of bottom after one game, something I really do not like. Milan brought an extremely strong side, but I feel we did enough to deserve a point. The key man was Marco Marchionni. Asara struggled to deal with him, although Dennis Seedorf was far better when he came on. Kutuzov and Émerson had early chances which they wasted, and then Joe Cole drove over on the half hour when we were looking shaky. New signing Maxi Rodriguez was having a good Serie A debut, running at will at our defence, with some success. We had a very quiet first half i front of goal, but improved a little after the restart, but Balepheteke was unable to keep his attempt down. It was a crucial miss, as Milan went down to our end and took the lead. icon_frown.gif Lúcio found Marchionni, and he in turn found Kutuzov, who swept the ball past Stekelenburg and in. Skalidis was once more missing chances, which is something I tend not to worry a whole lot about as long as he puts one in. He didn't, and hence I'm not too happy. A perfect example came twelve minutes from time when he set the opportunity up well, but blazed the ball into the Curva Nord. I'm really far from happy, knowing what we can do. Something may well happen to kick-start some of the players in the next two weeks.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Asara (Seedorf 73), Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Balepheteke (Piras 73), Skalidis, Alexiou

• Administrators

I have completed the free transfer signing of Francisco Pavón, formerly of Real Madrid. He's an experienced international, and a top notch defender, who I'm sure will be of huge benefit to us as Mario Yepes is reaching the end of a wonderful career. I also reject a £325,000 approach from Lazio for Gio Lombardi, and am actively working on a couple of other leads. Unfortunately, Pavón is unavailable for two weeks as he comes with an injury, which will not present any long term worries.

What I see as my final piece of transfer activity for a while is complete. I knew Hugo Michael Enyinnaya was available for free, and that he brings goals, but what made me move were rumours of Milan's interest. He becomes our highest earner at £46,000 per week, but if we are to be in the big time that sort of money doesn't seem too high. In the remaining weeks before the transfer window closes, and then in December, I hope to clear out some of the unrequired players here.

Juventus away, and the opening to the season just got tougher. Enyinnaya takes a place on the bench since he's only recently signed, but Christian Anselmi gets a much deserved chance, in a withdrawn role, for Balepheteke.

Juventus 2

Pazzini 28, 87pen

Varese 1

Anselmi 27

I've lost count of the amount of times we've been done late at the Delle Alpi, but we didn't deserve the point we seemed set to get. Whilst we were good, we weren't special, and have lost a second straight game at the start of the season, which worries me. Juve had two goals disallowed within a minute of each other at the start of the match, both through Pazzini, but both were given offside, debatably too. To the amazement of the Bianconeri, Alexiou hit the crossbar, and then we went ahead with a sweeping counter attack. Milton do Ó crossed deep, and Anselmi met the ball with a strong header past Pegolo. We held the lead for less than a minute. Stankovic weaved his magic on the edge of the box, and slid Pazzini in, this time onside, for the emphatic leveller. Asara and Doukas nearly put us back ahead before the break, but we were feeling quite lucky to be level in the changing rooms at half time. Ten minutes into the second half Enyinnaya came on for his debut for a lacklustre Alexiou, and looked bright. He was kicking himself for missing a header from Cavalcante's cross, before Skalidis drew Pegolo's skills from a left foot effort. Fifteen from time Enyinnaya was denied a debut goal by Castellini's goal-line clearance, before we were once again beaten late in the day in Turin. Mario Yepes was seen to have fouled Mexes (by the assistant, not the referee), and Pazzini scored what was really a deserved winner. There were good signs, but we might have to wait for a win. Before Torino visit next weekend, we're off to Anfield.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Asara, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Anselmi, Skalidis, Alexiou (Enyinnaya 57)

I suppose I can take solice from the fact Inter replace us at the bottom after an equally as dire start, but I'm not happy.

• Administrators

We're at Anfield to face Liverpool, winners of the last six Premiership titles, and haven't finished outside of the top two for years. Quality like this will always pose problems. Montanari's on Azzurrini duty in the Olympics, and Enyinnaya ineligible, so two changes. Seedorf for Montanari, and on the recommendation of Batistuta, Kim Bø in defensive midfield for Cavalcante.

Liverpool 0

Varese 1

Alexiou 54

The heart this win gives me. icon_smile.gif After two games of disappointment had me questioning whether we were really up for it, they proved that they can pull out all the stops, as we managed to win at Anfield in a European game, and inflicted the first home defeat on Houllier's men since January and Millwall's 1-0 win. We were under the cosh a fair bit, but came through with the old Varese character and gritt. Heskey really should have scored on nineteen after good work from Jenas, which was followed by a good save from Kirkland, forced by Alexiou. Owen looked dangerous, but Doukas came closer still with a dragged shot on the half hour which shaved the side netting, and emitted a few gasps from the Anfield Road end. Christian Anselmi was again impressive, bullishly driving through but putting the ball wide. Minutes later, Meriem hit a long range shot which had Stekelenburg at full stretch, tipping wide with brilliance. We had a let off close to half time, when Heskey smacked the crossbar to end a breathtaking half of action. We took the lead ten minutes into the second half with a goal right out of the Liverpool book of scoring. Bø and Doukas worked well in the middle, and released Alexiou in the channel Michael Owen loves. Surging away, the Greek showed he is a truly world class finisher by deftly beating Kirkland. If it wasn't for Ligkos and Papadopoulos, Alexiou would be a recognised international with honours. I know his true worth, as do Liverpool. He should have sewn it all up twenty mintues from time, but wasted a glorious opening. It was all Varese, surprisingly enough icon_redface.gif . We might have had two more before the end, but it remained 1-0, which is bloody good enough for me! icon_biggrin.gif Are we back on track?...

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Asara, Seedorf, Bø, Doukas©, Anselmi, Skalidis, Alexiou

Approached by a journalist this morning, who apparently has evidence Leicester City are set to put a £4.8m bid on the table for Carlton Cole. Not giving away anything, I admit he's on the market, but I'm looking for the right price. I keep to myself the fact that price is perfect. icon_wink.gif

After a fantastic midweek, we have to use the momentum to beat Torino and get off the mark in Serie A. Cavalcante returns for Bø, and Enyinnaya makes a first start, for Skalidis.

Varese 4

Enyinnaya 12

Doukas 43, 81

Anselmi 64

Torino 1

Ghezzi 34

Bellini sent off 63

It's all good now. icon_smile.gif I won't get carried away, but this is the football I like to see us play. Stilianos Doukas was immortal, fresh off the back of a newly-signed contract making him the highest paid player in the history of the club, but still within the wage structure. He created the first, a full debut goal for Hugo Enyinnaya. My captain crossed sharply, and the Nigerian scored the first of what I am sure will be many with a glancing header. Torino showed enough in dispatches to worry us in the first half, and after Alexiou wasted a chance, they equalised through a man who was once a target of mine, Massimo Ghezzi. He enjoyed time and space to beat Stekelenburg. Hopefully, when he returns to fitness, Pavón will help seal some leakages. We were back ahead before the half time whistle, Doukas this time the scorer with a header, from Asara's deep cross. The ball crashed in off the bar, leaving Sorrentino beaten. Enyinnaya nearly added another at the start of the second half, but a fabulous effort was saved magnificently by Sorrentino. Torino were forced onto the back foot shortly after the hour when Massimo Bellini went through Alexiou and received a second yellow card, followed by a red. From the free kick, we went three up. A goalmouth scramble came of it all, but the coolest head belonged to young Christian Anselmi, scoring against another Turin side for his second of the season. A fantastic day was complete with the fourth - a picture perfect free kick courtesy of Doukas. This is how football should be played, and hopefully we're getting back to our best! icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Asara, Seedorf, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Anselmi, Enyinnaya, Alexiou

• Administrators

Enyinnaya is cup-tied, so Skalidis is back in with a point or two to prove. It's the only change, as we're in good form, and I'd prefer Anderlecht to be worried about us, and not vice-versa.

Varese 3

Skalidis 4, 51

Asara 32

Doukas sent off 52

Anderlecht 1

Perea 68

Another fine scoreline and performance, but a slight annoyance that Doukas was sent off. As yet I'm unsure whether I'm annoyed at the officials or Doukas, but time will tell. A better start could hardly have been seen, as Skalidis slalomed his way through Anderlecht players, and crashed an almighty effort into the top corner. If he wants to start, that's the way to go about it! He was everywhere, trying everything, and it was only a matter of time before we found a second. Doukas' corner was perfectly aimed towards the centre of the penalty area, and Asara headed in his first of the season. Whilst Carlos Jacques and Edixon Perea tried their best, we were all over them. Anselmi was impressing again, proving my belief in him. Just before the third, Alexiou, not forgotten, shot wide. Skalidis showed him the way with his second, a header from Seedorf's cross. Then Doukas slid through Perea, and received a second yellow card. Off he went for only the second time in his Varese career, and suddenly we looked all at sea. Anderlecht sensed a chance, and grabbed some hope with Perea's neat and tidy finish. I threw Lombardi in to shore up the midfield with his sensible passing, and eventually, after wasting some chances, we made it through. Two in two in the Champions League, and top of the table! icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Asara, Seedorf (Lombardi 82), Cavalcante, Doukas©, Anselmi, Skalidis, Alexiou

I have to name my latest Dutch squad for the match against Sweden in a fortnight. Since a majority of the names are familiar, the party of twenty six has a nice feel of continuity. The only new name is prolific Willem II forward Maarten Thijssen, in to give the attack even more options.

Holland - Saturday 22nd September 2012

Squad

No Name Position(s) Nat Born Age Caps Gls Wages Expires Value

- Boogers, Nico AM C HOL 2.10.82 29 - - £16.5K 28.6.13 £1.2M

- Bouma, Wilfried D/DM/F L HOL 15.6.78 34 83 4 £65K 12.6.14 £1.4M

- Brunswijk, Jurgen M RC HOL 1.7.89 23 2 - £10.25K 25.6.16 £4.8M

- Heitinga, John SW/D RC HOL 15.11.83 28 4 - £16K 28.6.15 £1.3M

- Hersi, Youssouf AM/F LC HOL 20.8.82 30 51 13 £55K 19.6.15 £8.5M

- Hofland, Kevin D C HOL 7.6.79 33 77 2 £75K 1.6.16 £2.8M

- Huntelaar, Klaas-Jan S C HOL 12.8.83 29 6 3 £11.5K 16.6.13 £3.3M

- Kuijt, Dirk S C HOL 22.6.80 32 25 7 £33K 16.5.14 £1.3M

- Lamey, Michael D R HOL 29.11.79 32 32 - £20.5K 2.6.15 £1.4M

- Mendes da Silva, David D/DM C HOL 8.4.82 30 54 4 £55K 22.6.14 £6.75M

- Oost, Tom DM RC HOL 10.2.93 19 2 - £3.3K 4.6.15 £300K

- Oude Kamphuis, Niels D/DM RC HOL 14.11.77 34 53 1 £11.25K 3.6.13 £575K

- Robben, Arjen AM/F LC HOL 23.1.84 28 59 14 £43.5K 6.6.14 £9.5M

- Seedorf, Dennis DM RLC HOL 9.11.86 25 2 - £14K 10.6.18 £3.9M

- Seedorf, Henk D C HOL 1.8.82 30 16 - £19.25K 15.6.13 £2M

- Stekelenburg, Maarten GK HOL 22.9.82 30 11 - £22.5K 19.6.17 £3.3M

- Thijssen, Maarten S C HOL 9.2.88 24 - - £13.25K 1.6.16 £3.2M

- Varkevisser, Cor GK HOL 14.5.82 30 - - £11.25K 5.6.17 £1.5M

- Zonneveld, Mike D/DM L HOL 27.10.80 31 14 1 £41.5K 24.6.14 £3.7M

- de Cler, Tim D L HOL 11.8.78 34 4 - £27K 19.6.13 £190K

- de Jong, Jaap F C HOL 8.3.88 24 9 1 £21.5K 25.6.16 £5M

- van Beukering, Jhon S C HOL 29.9.83 28 5 1 £25.5K 8.6.15 £1.5M

- van Dijk, Roy D C HOL 16.6.87 25 3 - £7.25K 5.6.14 £2.7M

- van Nistelrooy, Ruud S C HOL 1.7.76 36 103 63 £29.5K 10.6.13 £325K

- van der Meyde, Andy AM/F R HOL 30.9.79 32 88 9 £70K 27.6.13 £1.9M

- van der Vaart, Rafael AM LC HOL 11.2.83 29 64 8 £70K 24.6.16 £8.25M

</pre>

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

There's no way I can consider leaving Skalidis out after his performance in the week, so Enyinnaya sits on the bench. Pavón makes a debut in defence, with Yepes stepping down.

Lazio 1

Ayala 90

Varese 0

Alexiou sent off 43

It's results like this which make me consider quitting my job and packing everything in. To be defeated as late as we were, without deserving it is sickening, and the red card received by Alexiou will deprive us of his services for a long time, due to the act. Skalidis, desperate to stay in the team, wasted an early header from Milton do Ó's free kick, then he put a volley over. Montervino tested Stekelenburg, but for a majority of the first half was Varese-dominated. Only in the closing stages of the half did Lazio come to life, and even then Stekelenburg made even more great saves, especially from Pavesi's try. Close to the whistle, Christos Alexiou completely lost it, reacting to something Denis Pavesi said by hitting him full in the face. Off he went, and the offence tends to carry an eight match ban icon_redface.gificon_frown.gif . Enyinnaya was introduced in the second half, for Skalidis, in the hope of scoring a goal to defend. Shumanisky and Castroman both tried their luck, but to no avail. Enyinnaya nearly found his moment after Da Re fumbled Doukas' free kick, but former Varese defender Daniel Orellana defended well to prevent him. With seconds remaining, and I mean mere seconds of stoppage time, Marcelo Ayala was set up by Dalla Bona to score the only goal, and really tear us up. A third defeat in four league games is a poor start, but what is sad is that we don't really deserve to be on the end of the defeats - two are by a single goal, and of the three, two were late goal deciders. Things will change, but how soon?

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Pavón, Todisco, Asara, Seedorf, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Anselmi, Skalidis (Enyinnaya 45), Alexiou

If we can beat Sparta Prague away tonight, we can put ourselves in a fantastic position to progress. Enyinnaya is ineligible, as is Pavón, and the Greek duo of Skalidis and Doukas are suspended, so in come Piras, Yepes and Lombardi. Cavalcante takes the captaincy.

Sparta Prague 0

Varese 2

Anselmi 16

Cavalcante 81

Seedorf injured 60

Another good European win for us, and we're still at 100% in our group. icon_smile.gif The side was rather thrown together at the last minute, but the experience of Mario Yepes and Milton do Ó helped us through comfortably. The match was poor for the neutral fan, but that doesn't matter to me at all. icon_wink.gif Christian Anselmi continued a great start to the season with his third goal after just sixteen minutes. Piras ran and crossed from the left, and the youngster swept the ball in on the move, not even stopping to wait before celebrating. Piras nearly found a goal, but his header was cleared on the line by Horak. Mario Piras disappoints me somewhat. For a player of his goalscoring record, he hasn't really flourished here yet, with just four goals in twenty-eight games. Competition is hotting up now, especially with Fernando Escudero playing brilliantly in the Olympic Games, but Piras just doesn't do it. Mateusz Dobek, who will also find it hard, came on late and did well. Dennis Seedorf went off injured with a slight knock on the hour, and so as to not risk any injury, Balzaretti came on for his first appearance of the season. The second goal arrived nine minutes from time, after Lombardi tricked his way along the right, he pulled the ball back and captain for the day, Cavalcante, hammered us the win. A good win, which can bring confidence back, no matter how small. It matters.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Asara, Seedorf (Balzaretti 60), Cavalcante©, Lombardi, Anselmi, Piras (Dobek 81), Alexiou

• Administrators

As I predicted, the FIGC have come down hard on Alexiou. For his violent conduct, he misses eight league games icon_frown.gif I have the cover in terms of talent, but few of them are proven. Somone will have to step up to the plate.

Roma's visit should be the end of the opening run of games against massive sides, but I'm able to pair Skalidis and Enyinnaya together for the first time. Too similar? We'll see. Lombardi is in for Seedorf, and Doukas and Pavón return.

Varese 1

Dobek 90

Anselmi injured 61

Roma 1

Jobim 87

We so nearly had it happen to us again. As it was, we managed to save face at a very late stage. Roma were pretty dominant, but not to the point where they deserved a win. Eder Bau, making only his second appearance since damaging cruciate ligaments, had an early header to show everyone he is still as dangerous as he once was. Stekelenburg made the first of many saves. Skalidis and Enyinnaya started linking well, both testing their luck, with no end product. Lombardi was lucky to survive a penalty appeal on Cavenaghi, as it looked as if he hit him in the back without winning the ball. Talking of Cavenaghi, he wasn't as lethal as he can be, which is credit to the abilities of Pavón. Bau headed wide, and Doukas clipped the crossbar to end a good first half for us. We'd wethered whatever Roma came at us with, and created our own stuff too. The story was the same in the second, with Stekelenburg making a quite unbelievable save early doors. He tipped it over after adjusting his position in the air. Thomas Colucci made an equally impressive save from Enyinnaya. Christian Anselmi then went down after a collision with Agirre, and a fractured arm was later confirmed. It'll be a little while before he resumes, but Dobek came on, not knowing what role he'd end up having. As the official held up the board to show four minutes of injury time, Roma took the lead. Válber Jobim made us pay for the wasteful finishing of the previous ten minutes by turning past fellow Brazilian Cavalcante and drilled Roma into what appeared to be a winning position. Only this time we found the late equaliser. Enyinnaya had a chance, but he chose to pass to Dobek, who clinically drove in his first goal in quite a while. He really wants to be involved, and what better way to prove his worth than this? icon_biggrin.gif We improved on some areas, but there's work to be done, which can come with match practice, and more importantly, wins.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Pavón, Todisco, Asara, Lombardi, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Anselmi (Dobek 61), Skalidis, Enyinnaya

In training at the Dutch camp, preparing for tomorrow's game with Holland, Arjen Robbem damages his ribs, and has to pull out of the squad injured. Since I'm obliged to call in cover, I choose Martin Jans, a left footed midfielder from Ajax, previously capped once. icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

Sweden are a very good side under new management in the form of Roland Nilsson. Rafael Van Der Vaart has a slight injury and so misses out, Jurgen Brunswijk is in.

Holland 0

Sweden 0

Well, we were good, and kept another clean sheet, which is a good thing. Sweden looked useful if not dangerous, but all the time I'm learning the international game, and getting to know certain tricks along the way. Throughout the first half there was not one shot in goal whatsoever. Huntelaar and Mendes da Silva had half chances blocked, but it really was a midfield based game. In fact, it took until the sixty-third minute before we had something to test Tobias Levin. Huntelaar controlled and turned well, but his shot was straight and was well tipped away by the debutant. A triple change on my part (after deciding not to make mass changes) livened us up, especially through Dirk Kuijt. Three minutes after coming on he ran thirty yards with the ball before lashing at the top corner, but a lack of control saw it go wide. Debutant Maarten Thijssen saw Levin make a good low stop seconds later. Kim Kallström came the closest of the game ten minutes from time with a twenty-five yard effort which hit the post and went out of play. The draw and clean sheet will do, and I'm still undefeated with the Oranje.

Team: Stekelenburg, Hofland, Van Dijk, H.Seedorf, Bouma, Oost, Mendes da Silva©, Brunswijk, Hersi (Boogers 69), Van Nistelrooy (Kuijt 69), Huntelaar (Thijssen 69)

Maarten Stekelenburg came out of the game pretty bad, and as it happens, I'll be without him for three weeks back in Varese.

Vicenza offer stern opposition, although not in the form of our previous opponents. I take the chance to field Fernando Escudero, in hot form after the Olympic Games, alongside Enyinnaya, with Skalidis dropping back to cover the injured Anselmi. Montanari returns, and Rowlands makes his debut in goal as Stekelenburg misses out injured.

Varese 1

Skalidis 44

Pavón injured 45

Vicenza 1

Torrisi 29

Far from convincing, we really had to have won this. The start seems to be getting poorer and poorer. The luck wasn't there today. We dominated, but Vicenza did what they had to to hold on. Marco Storari was excellent in the visiting goal, making the first of many saves after six minutes from a Doukas header. After a quiet spell, Skalidis came to life on twenty-six, heading low, but once more Storari did well. On his debut, Craig Rowlands was beaten before having a save to make as we went behind to a cracker of a free kick from Salvatore Torrisi. Needless to say I was really unhappy at this point, since this is a match we should have been comfortable in. The wet conditions made things harder, but that is no excuse. We were level by half time, Cavalcante crossing for Skalidis to score his first league goal of the season. In the next minute, we lost Francisco Pavón not only for the second half, but for the next two months with ankle ligament damage. The second half was a poor affair, with neither side being able to control the game long enough to create a worthwile chance. Serhiy Kovalenko was busy in spells for the Biancorossi, but when he was needed Rowlands did well. As ever, Enyinnaya did everything but score. Eight minutes from time another glancing header came close, but not close enough. In stoppage time Kovalenko hit the crossbar to leave us with a lucky escape, but despite that I'm not happy.

Team: Rowlands, Milton do Ó, Pavón (Yepes 45), Todisco, Asara (Balzaretti 71), Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Skalidis, Escudero, Enyinnaya

Bologna Director of Football Giancarlo Marocchi entertains me this morning by way of a £4.6m bid for Andrea Todisco. I'm not selling him, ever, so I tell him that. Andrea is a huge part of my plans, even at the age of nineteen. An established international, he is priceless.

When he is informed of such activity, Todisco appears somewhat disappointed. Why, I'll never know. I'll try to find out though. It more than likely has something to do with his agent....

• Administrators

If we can take three points at home to Sparta Prague we will secure our spot in the second group phase of the Champions League. I can make some changes too. Girardi replaces Rowlands in the net, Balzaretti is in for Asara, and Alexiou can play as his suspension is only domestic. Enyinnaya is ineligible, so it all fits nicely.

Varese 2

Escudero 14

Alexiou 19

Sparta Prague 0

We were good, once again. The main thing is to maintain this, and keep it going in a run of games. A first goal for Fernando Escudero is also brilliant, since he can play without it being on his mind now. And what a goal it was! icon_smile.gif Cavalcante powered his way through the Sparta players, crossed, and Escudero drilled his shot in low first time. It wasn't too long a wait for a second, and it was another created from our natural width. Balzaretti crossed, but it was deep. Montanari cushioned a header back into the area, and Alexiou had a simple finish. With that, Sparta were all but finished. And we knew it, conserving ourselves for another game. Doukas shot just over trying to make it three before half time, but it really didn't matter. Skalidis also hit a similar attempt, but with no reward. Daniel Vaca was kept busy, but we didn't beat him. Doukas tried, as did Escudero, but 2-0 was enough to seal our path into the second group phase with a 100% record after four games. You might remember we did that last year too. Some things stay the same - and I hope our good form can be one of those such things.

Team: Girardi, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Balzaretti, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Skalidis, Escudero, Alexiou

Chievo have started the season well, and after a tough time they seem to have settled, and are looking like a Serie A side. Two changes on my part - Enyinnaya for Alexiou, and Asara for Balzaretti.

Chievo 1

Cavallaro 9

Varese 1

Enyinnaya 48

Well, after seven games we have six points - far from desirable. Yet again we were good in spells, but certainly did not deserve all three points. After just nine minutes Sergio Almirón strode forward and crossed for Filippo Cavallaro to head past Girardi to score his fiftieth league goal for the Flying Donkeys. If it wasn't for the interception of Doukas the same man would have had another five minutes later. As we came into the game, Escudero was given two half chances he didn't take. He will at some time or another - getting into the positions is part of the game. He's doing that, and the finishing will come with time. Training with Gabriel Batistuta - one of the all time legendary goalscorers - almost guarantees that. Even though we were behind at the break, we needed only three minutes to equalise in the second half. Milton do Ó took a free kick, headed in by Enyinnaya. icon_smile.gif Simple but effective. We need more of that, and less of the extravagant showboating which cost Enyinnaya a second on sixty-one minutes. Escudero and Cavallaro both put chances over the respective goals, but then Girardi was needed to brilliantly turn away Bigatti's header. As I say, a point was fair today, but somehow the luck must change.

Team: Girardi, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Asara (Balzaretti 86), Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Skalidis, Escudero, Enyinnaya

• Administrators

The visit of Liverpool is set to bring the fans rolling in, after we beat them at Anfield. Alexiou is in for Enyinnaya, and Anselmi returns at the expense of Skalidis.

Varese 0

Liverpool 1

Owen 72

It was our European form which kept us on some sort of form, but with this defeat, it might send us reeling. icon_frown.gif We played better than at Anfield if anything, but we didn't have that key element - luck. Chris Kirkland showed what kind of day he'd be having as early as the second minute, flying away to tip Cavalcante's effort over. From the corner, Montanari's header went the same way. It took longer than twenty-five minutes for Liverpool to test Girardi, and when they did, Michael Bridges' shot wasn't the greatest. Alexiou showed him how to do it with a textbook volley, but once more he found Kirkland in great form. That took the game to half time at 0-0, a result I'd have been more than happy with. Christian Anselmi was next to find his route to goal blocked - Kirkland pulling off the extraordinary to prevent a powerful header from making net contact. Liverpool went to the other end, and Fatih Dincer's cross to Owen was perfect, as was the header. Girardi's save completed a great sequence. Escudero's header on goal nearly got him going, but guess what the outcome was? Kirkland save. With a little less than twenty minutes to go Michael Owen got his first real chance to run at Todisco, and beat him. He took it on and scored with panache. icon_frown.gif As a last hope I threw on Skalidis, usually a rich source of goals, but it didn't come. Ernesto Arakaki cleared Alexiou's last gasp header off the line, but we lost our 100% record. We're still through though. icon_biggrin.gif

Team: Girardi, Milton do Ó, Yepes, Todisco, Asara, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Anselmi, Escudero (Skalidis 80), Alexiou

I'm really starting to think that my rotation amongst the strikers isn't helping. Skalidis and Alexiou tend to hit it off well. The latter is still suspended, and so I'm forced to choose from Enyinnaya and Escudero. Both are fantastic players, and totally different, but it's about finding the right combination. Christian Anselmi is doing well in his withdrawn role, maybe finally finding a replacement for Carlos Alberto Viera Dos Santos, but with so many attackers one combination should eventually hit it off. At least, I hope.....

We will play Napoli in the Second Round of the Coppa Italia, which I hope to defend successfully again, to complete a hat-trick. We've played Napoli a total of six times in this competition, with mixed results, so we know what we're up against.

• Administrators

For the game against Perugia, I have a defensive crisis. Todisco and Yepes are suspended, so I'm forced to use two young defenders in Renzo Andreazzoli, and Vittorio Baggio. In attack, it's Skalidis and Escudero. And Stekelenburg returns.

Varese 2

Skalidis 26

Escudero 27

Escudero injured 90

Perugia 2

Pellegrino 39

D'Ambrosio 55

Better, but still not the win. One victory in our first eight games is abysmal. To make it worse, Milan have had just as poor a start. I say worse because this would be ideal time to get ahead of them, since they're impossible to beat when they get going. The early play was made by Martin Wysocki, as Perugia's Polish striker attempted to get the better of my young defenders, but didn't hit the target on either shot. The defending was rewarded with a twenty-sixth minute lead. Asara sent in a nice cross, and Skalidis headed in, still showing we can depend on him. Seconds later, we went two ahead. Doukas played the perfect defence-splitting pass for Escudero, who ran on and converted the chance into a goal. At 2-0, the last thing I'd have wanted would have been for us to relinquish the lead. Which we did. icon_frown.gif It started before half time, as Stekelenburg could only parry Wysocki's effort, and Pellegrino beat the rush to tap in his first of the season. The equaliser came five minutes before the hour. Once again, it was a good save from Stekelenburg not cleared by the defence, and Emanuele D'Ambrosio pounced. Infuriating. Doukas tried to win us the game on his own, and might have killed someone had his shot on seventy-two not been slowed down by the crossbar. Whilst Doukas is still as excellent as ever, the final part isn't there. Escudero twisted his ankle in injury time, so there's another striker I'm without for a month.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Andreazzoli, Baggio, Asara, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Anselmi, Skalidis, Escudero (Enyinnaya 90)

It's by no means my toughest spell in charge here, but it's one of the most infuriating and annoying, since there's no reason we can't win.

Holland play the Czech Republic in a fortnight, so it's squad naming time. Two changes are made. Out go Mike Zonneveld and Nico Boogers, and in come Arjen Robben, fit again, and a first call up for Jordy Reneerkers of Roda. He's been scoring plenty of goals, and justifiably gets acknowledged.

Holland - Wednesday 31st October 2012

Squad

No Name Position(s) Nat Born Age Caps Gls Wages Expires Value

- Bouma, Wilfried D/DM/F L HOL 15.6.78 34 84 4 £65K 12.6.14 £1.5M

- Brunswijk, Jurgen M RC HOL 1.7.89 23 3 - £10.25K 25.6.16 £4.9M

- Heitinga, John SW/D RC HOL 15.11.83 28 4 - £16K 28.6.15 £1.3M

- Hersi, Youssouf AM/F LC HOL 20.8.82 30 52 13 £55K 19.6.15 £8.25M

- Hofland, Kevin D C HOL 7.6.79 33 78 2 £75K 1.6.16 £2.6M

- Huntelaar, Klaas-Jan S C HOL 12.8.83 29 7 3 £11.5K 16.6.13 £3.1M

- Jans, Martin M LC HOL 29.1.88 24 1 - £7.25K 16.6.15 £3.4M

- Kuijt, Dirk S C HOL 22.6.80 32 26 7 £33K 16.5.14 £1.2M

- Lamey, Michael D R HOL 29.11.79 32 32 - £20.5K 2.6.15 £1.4M

- Mendes da Silva, David D/DM C HOL 8.4.82 30 55 4 £55K 22.6.14 £6.75M

- Oost, Tom DM RC HOL 10.2.93 19 3 - £3.3K 4.6.15 £300K

- Oude Kamphuis, Niels D/DM RC HOL 14.11.77 34 53 1 £11.25K 3.6.13 £650K

- Reneerkens, Jordy S C HOL 7.10.83 29 - - £8K 28.6.14 £230K

- Robben, Arjen AM/F LC HOL 23.1.84 28 59 14 £43.5K 6.6.14 £11M

- Seedorf, Dennis DM RLC HOL 9.11.86 25 2 - £14K 10.6.18 £3.9M

- Seedorf, Henk D C HOL 1.8.82 30 17 - £19.25K 15.6.13 £2M

- Stekelenburg, Maarten GK HOL 22.9.82 30 12 - £22.5K 19.6.17 £3.3M

- Thijssen, Maarten S C HOL 9.2.88 24 1 - £13.25K 1.6.16 £3.6M

- Varkevisser, Cor GK HOL 14.5.82 30 - - £11.25K 5.6.17 £1.5M

- de Cler, Tim D L HOL 11.8.78 34 4 - £27K 19.6.13 £190K

- de Jong, Jaap F C HOL 8.3.88 24 9 1 £21.5K 25.6.16 £5.25M

- van Beukering, Jhon S C HOL 29.9.83 29 5 1 £25.5K 8.6.15 £1.4M

- van Dijk, Roy D C HOL 16.6.87 25 4 - £7.25K 5.6.14 £2.8M

- van Nistelrooy, Ruud S C HOL 1.7.76 36 104 63 £29.5K 10.6.13 £300K

- van der Meyde, Andy AM/F R HOL 30.9.79 33 88 9 £70K 27.6.13 £1.2M

- van der Vaart, Rafael AM LC HOL 11.2.83 29 64 8 £70K 24.6.16 £8.25M

</pre>

• Administrators

November's here, and with it a trip to Lecce. I decide a meaningful team talk is the order of the day, about how the winning mentality has to be found, and it will. We've won 6-1 here in the past, so why not again? There's a lot of onus on Milton do Ó, since he has a lot of young men around him in defence. Vittorio Baggio, after really doing well last time, retains his place as Yepes drops down. He's nineteen, as are Todisco and Montanari, with Asara only a year older. Eyinnaya is in for the injured Escudero.

Lecce 1

De Crescenzo 68

Varese 2

Montanari 11

Cavalcante 26

That's what it is all about. Winning, and working for each other. It's the first time this season, with perhaps the exception of the Liverpool away game, that all eleven players in my team have worked for each other, and were rewarded for it. Crucially, we received the little bit of luck too. The opening goal was a perfect example of everyone working well. Vito Baggio took a free kick from the wide right. As the ball went across the area, Montanari came in and headed home. Two players you wouldn't necessarily expect to do anything did, with great reward. icon_smile.gif Baggio combined that with defensive duties, keeping the dangerous Vucinic at bay. Fifteen minutes after the first came the second, and in magnificent style. Claudio Cavalcante streamed ahead of Damásio de Oliveira, and cracked a shot home from twenty five yards, fiercly driven into the bottom corner. Now, whereas against Perugia we let them back into the game after going 2-0 up, there was no chance of that today. In fact, it would have been three from the left boot of Anselmi, but for the intervention of the upright. Slowly in the second half, Lecce turned up the pressure, and got a breakthrough on sixty eight when Paolo De Crescenzo hammered past Stekelenburg. To me it was really important to hold on for the next few minutes, and Stekelenburg did his duties well in saving from Vucinic and then smothering the rebound from Valente. That was the important moment out of the way. Every man held his own from then on in, and we claimed a very big win. If we can do this every week, it's all good. We have to turn this on in Anderlecht on Wednesday and then against Napoli.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Asara, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Anselmi, Skalidis, Enyinnaya

For the first time in a while, my side resembles one which lined up last season. Alexiou and Skalidis are re-united in attack for the match at Anderlecht, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how my players respond after the Lecce win.

Anderlecht 1

Jacques 44

Varese 2

Skalidis 19, 64

I won't jump ahead of myself and say it's all coming back, but we are certainly looking something akin to the Varese of much of last season. We came and won in Brussels last season, and it was a similar battling performance to take the three points from here and finish top of our Champions League Group on fifteen points. icon_smile.gif Cavalcante had the first shy on goal, a shot which Cech struggled with despite being straight at him. When we took the lead, it really delighted me, because Alexiou, Doukas, and Skalidis were all apparently back on the same wavelength. Doukas lobbed the cross in, and Skalidis headed in the first. Carlos Jacques almost equalised with one hell of a shot which Stekelenburg saved, but he must have regretted putting his hand on the line! icon_biggrin.gif As the close of the first period drew in, it became inevitable that Anderlecht would score, which they did. Jacques hit his shot lower this time, and it skidded along the turf and into the corner. I told the team not to worry, that we would score again. And I was right. icon_smile.gif The combination of a Doukas cross and a Skalidis header came up trumps once again, proving what a sublime understanding the duo have of each other. He was desperate for a hat-trick, but didn't get the luck. Anselmi nearly added another, but his very powerful effort broke an advertising board icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif . Everyone was superb. The defence is looking stronger for the introduction of Vittorio Baggio (touch wood), and things, hopefully, are on the reverse.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Asara, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Anselmi, Skalidis, Alexiou

Group B table:

1 Varese 6 5 0 1 10 3 15 Q

2 Liverpool 6 3 1 2 9 4 10 Q

------------------------------------------------

3 Anderlecht 6 2 0 4 8 11 6

4 Sparta Prague 6 1 1 4 4 13 4

</pre>

• Administrators

In the draw for the Second Phase of the Champions League, we are in Group C, alongside Celtic, Birmingham, and Leverkusen. We could have had it much harder, but this in itself isn't easy. We'll go about each game in the same way, and see where we end up.

Media reports suggest Milton do Ó could be about to sign for Lazio and join in the next window. I doubt it very much. He's a wonderful player and a perfect guide for my young team. We're also currently in discussions over a new contract.

Our defence of the Coppa Italia starts with Napoli's visit in the first leg of the Second Round. Gaetano Montanari injured himself in the week during training and is out for three weeks, so Asara switches flanks and Balzaretti is in on the left.

Varese 2

Skalidis 64

Asara 70

Napoli 1

Volpi 44

Pozzi sent off 62

Well, I certainly can say this: three wins in a row is much much better. Napoli were their usual selves - very dangerous from wide positions, but we managed to defend very well when needed, and came through with a good win. The only down side is that the form is coming away from Serie A. It should filter through though. Anastasios Skalidis was in the mood early, striking a shot from distance over the bar. On the half hour mark, after a relatively empty half, he hit the post after combining well with Anselmi. So typically, after a half of control on our part, we fell behind with a minute to go. Eugenio Corradi skipped past Cavalcante, squared a pass to Simone Volpi, and he passed the ball into the net, with Stekelenburg going the other way. It looked so much like a typical Varese vs Napoli match. When they take the lead against us, we rarely come back. This time was different. We were so nearly level in seconds. Balzaretti terrorised his opposite number, crossed, and Anselmi saw the crossbar deny him this time. The turning point came on the hour. Napoli right back Pierpaolo Pozzi shoved Alexiou over, forgetting he was already booked. The red card followed, and then so did the goals. Cavalcante's radar sensed Skalidis, and he released my main man to equalise and maintain some very hot form. The winner came six minutes later. A simple routine - Doukas takes a corner, someone heads home. Domenico Asara was the scorer with a very strong head. Once more, I'm very pleased with what I saw. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Balzaretti, Asara, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Anselmi, Skalidis, Alexiou

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

My first away game as Dutch manager takes me to the Czech Republic, and a very good side. Jordy Reneerkers makes a debut in attack, Martin Jans comes into midfield, whilst Rafael Van der Vaart returns after finding fitness once again.

Czech Republic 2

Sedivec 6

J.Cerny 56

Holland 0

My first Oranje defeat had to arrive at some point, and it was to be this visit to Prague, where we were below par. Many of the players are in the middle of busy campaigns, and they seemed jaded this evening. Jaroslav Sedivec struck early to beat an out of position Maarten Stekelenburg to make it 1-0. Reneerkers, on debut, had a chance to open his account with a turn and shot, but it was well smothered by Petr Cech. He had another one go the same way in a poor first half where neither side really got going. I made two changes up front to try and turn the game, but before we were able to get anywhere near the Czech goal, they doubled the lead. Sedivec beat Oost, crossed, and found the head of Josef Cerny arriving for the second. More changes followed on my part, by now the game being lost, I was out to experiment a little. Klaas-Jan Huntellar looked very good, and might have had a consolation, but his eighty-fourth minute volley cleared the crossbar. The defeat is something we clearly didn't want, but I'd prefer it now rather than at a more important stage, since any problems can be rectified now by way of experiements and tactics in games which are not must-wins. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Hofland, Van Dijk, H.Seedorf, Bouma, Oost (Oude Kamphuis 79), Mendes da Silva©, Jans (Brunswijk 79), Van der Vaart (Huntelaar 79), Van Nistelrooy (Robben 45), Reneerkers (Thijssen 45)

I return to Varese for a match at home to an in-form Parma team. We've got some form going too, so it'll be tight. Alexiou is still suspended, so Enyinnaya is in.

Varese 0

Skalidis injured 4

Parma 0

It'll do. The game wasn't a great spectacle, but a point is better than nothing. We lost Skalidis very early on, when he pulled up on a run with a calf strain. Another striker out injured (for a month) icon_frown.gif . Piras joined Enyinnaya for possibly our least consistent strike forces. Stéphane Dalmat had the first chance, but a chance which fell to his left foot ended up falling wide of the goal. Piras, desperate to open his scoring for the season, saw his header saved well by Luciani. Stilianos Doukas fired a free kick which was well on its way in, but again, the Parma goalkeeper kept us at bay throughout the first half. Piras screwed a header horribly wide on thirty-three, then Stekelenburg was needed to make a good close range save from a Ciprian Marica header. In the quieter second half, Doukas looked to open the scoring, but found Luciani in the way yet again. A second period with such little goalmouth action is perhaps not ideal for the supporters, but we managed to shut out Parma for our first Serie A clean sheet since April 29th, when we also had our last 0-0, against Venezia. More positive signs are coming, especially through man of the match Vittorio Baggio. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Balzaretti, Asara, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Anselmi, Skalidis (Piras 4), Enyinnaya

Lazio call up with an official bid of £4.6m for Andrea Todisco. Nothing doing I'm afraid. He is not for sale.

• Administrators

It's important to start well in our Champions League second group phase, with such a diverse and tough group of teams. Birmingham are not in the best of form, but they can always pose a danger. Alexiou is in, and so is Piras.

Birmingham 1

Jeffrey 90

Varese 2

Doukas 21

Alexiou 78

Asara sent off 71

It was a battle in Birmingham where at times we were lucky to survive, but we extend our unbeaten run to six matches with a well fought win. Young English forward Mark Arnold looked really good for The Blues, testing Stekelenburg at an early point in the game. We had our first chance through Anselmi, who just failed to find the target ten minutes later. Benoit Benvegnu in goal denied Piras his first goal of the season after the Italian shot at the top corner, but against the run of play we took the lead. Doukas ran unchallenged from the halfway line, and buried the ball in the bottom corner. Birmingham's Greek star Kostas Mendrinos tried to upstage my two fellow nationals, but Domenico Asara had him well shackled. The referee, Mr Gordon Zammit Tabona, wasn't too friendly, booking four of my players in the first half for mostly innocuous challenges. We were leading at half time, and looked to get a second as early after the restart as we could. Arnold beat Doukas and Anselmi before he curled a wonderful attempt at our goal, blocked by Milton do Ó. Twenty minutes from time the inevitable happened. With so many players booked by a card happy referee, one received a second yellow. Asara was the unlucky party, meaning I had to move to a flat back four. As with the past, it worked well, and we scored the all important second seven minutes later. Todisco angled a cross in towards the penalty spot, and Alexiou headed in. icon_smile.gif It turned out to be important since in injury time substitute Peter Jeffrey scored for Birmingham, but the all important second was in place, and we share top spot with Celtic, who also won. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Balzaretti, Asara, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Anselmi, Piras, Alexiou

Today's game is one I've been waiting a while for. Brescia are yet to win in the League this season, and by all reports they are very poor. I'd expect a win, and by pairing Piras and Enyinnaya in attack, it should give them a great opportunity to score the goals they need.

Brescia 1

Pugliese 67

Varese 4

Doukas 10

Piras 15, 19

Anselmi 58

Brescia are on their way down already. We mauled them. Badly. It could have been anything we wanted. It only took us ten minutes to find the net, and after Doukas had cracked the ball in off the crossbar for 1-0, the Lombard side fell apart. Five minutes later Asara crossed a ball which kept low and invited a touch. Mario Piras got there first and finally found a goal! Enyinnaya then pummelled the crossbar, but the third came easily and quickly enough. Doukas' free kick was partially blocked, but there was Piras to hammer in another. Three up by nineteen minutes, it could have been four on twenty-five, but Enyinnaya's fantastic shot was ruled out for a handball in the build up. It really was as easy as we could have had it. Early in the second half Anselmi headed against the woodwork, but even he was able to add to the scoresheet after being denied, nodding in Doukas' cross. Roberto Pugliese pulled one back for the home side as they realised the game was up, and hence went for the jugular. They looked half good when they did that, but by then the match was won. I won't be carried away by this, but it will boost the confidence of everyone. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Balzaretti, Asara, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Anselmi, Piras, Enyinnaya

• Administrators

Napoli, cleary trying to stir the pot ahead of our match coming up in a matter of days, place bids for Andrea Todisco (£4.1m) and Vittorio Baggio (£300,000). Neither are entertained for very long. Playing tit for tat, I bid well under the odds for Nicola Orru, and am rejected. Two can play icon_cool.gif .

The second leg in Napoli is finely poised. We hold a 2-1 lead from the first encounter, but their away goal is important. We must score at least once to cancel it out. Alexiou is available but only sits on the bench as I go with Escudero and Enyinnaya.

Napoli 3

Amauri 6

Marongiu 23

Márquez 75

Varese 1

Escudero 66

Napoli win 4-3 on aggregate

Our hold on the Coppa Italia is over, and my time at Varese could be too. I am really considering my position here after another below par performance and, by our standards, a pathetic result. It was important we either took an early lead, or kept the game goalless for as long as possible. As luck transpired, we got neither. Enyinnaya hit the crossbar after just three minutes, but the agony there was intensified when Amauri headed in Zenoni's cross to score. Napoli then swarmed all over us, and both Orru and Amauri again could have added to the score. Federico Marongiu made it two midway through the half to really crush me, picking up the ball and scoring with a nice shot. We were all over the place - something wasn't right. If Lodesani had scored a minute later the game would have been up. Desperately, I brought Alexiou on to try and grab a goal which would bring us back into the match. Highly undeservedly, with twenty-five minutes left, we scored to tie the aggregate scores. Doukas took a corner, and Escudero found enough space to head in past Agliardi. Suddenly, back in with a shout, we looked better. But still, we contrived to concede another, and with it the Coppa Italia. Juan Luis Márquez headed Max Lombardi's cross past Stekelenburg, who was our only half decent player on the night. We didn't deserve to win, we didn't, and I'm getting seriously fed up of this......

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Balzaretti, Asara, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Anselmi, Escudero, Enyinnaya (Alexiou 45)

Napoli will not give in over Vittorio Baggio. They've so far upped their bid to £875,000. I won't accept - but I'm interested to see where they take it.

Of my position, something happened yesterday that I will not reveal just yet, but should it progress, there may well be a change...

Our last meeting with Piacenza was a 6-0 win in the Garilli Stadium three years ago. They're back, and stronger. It's the last game of the eight match ban for Alexiou, so it's Escudero and Piras up front. Montanari returns too.

Varese 1

Enyinnaya 44

Escudero injured 41

Piacenza 1

Alonso 90

How close to the edge do you want me to be? Words cannot describe the sheer annoyance at how we threw this game away, after deserving to win. We looked half good in the first half - Montanari's return really helped, as he was tenacious, willing, and gave us an energy. The goalscoring chances didn't come, not until the thirty-seventh minute when Asara had his header hacked off the line. Fernando Escudero then went off injured with a groin strain, so I'm without him for a while now. Enyinnaya came on, and what an impact he had! Almost immediately he took the ball from Anselmi, beat Said and Redaelli, and cracked a wonderful shot into the far corner on his left foot, showing proof of what he can do when it suits him. icon_smile.gif However, it was a rare bright spot on a depressing December afternoon. The second half whizzed by with nothing of note bar a couple of Vitolo efforts over or saved by Stekelenburg, but just as it looked as if we would scrape the win, Bernardo Alonso followed up Angelo Piccolo's effort, and tapped in to steal a point.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Asara, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Anselmi, Escudero (Enyinnaya 41), Piras

Well, it's confirmed. They say never go back, but as of January 2nd 2013, a former legend of this club will be returning. icon_smile.gif I will not reveal his name just yet, just to leave a few people guessing. But I'm delighted! icon_smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Our final Champions League game until February brings about Leverkusen's visit. I am forced to use Piras and Alexiou up front, since nobody else is available. Balzaretti is back in as Asara is suspended.

Varese 3

Anselmi 45, 85

Piras 51

Leverkusen 1

Bent 62

How we do it is amazing - perform badly in Serie A, but do so well in Europe. Leverkusen are good, and would be a top side in Serie A - yet we've trounced them! icon_redface.gif The start was typically European, and it wasn't until the eighteenth minute we had a shot at goal, when Cavalcante hit a 'banana' shot wide. Martin Michael in the Leverkusen goal was kept busy by Anselmi's shot, and then Doukas' long range stunner. Just after Alexiou really should have done better with a header, we nabbed a deserved lead. Doukas and Balzaretti linked brilliantly, and the latter played Anselmi in, for the youngster to smash in his second European goal. After taking such a late lead, it was important to build on it in the second half, which we did just six minutes after the restart. Anselmi turned provider with a left foot cross, headed in by Mario Piras. It was a great header for the position he found himself in. We looked in danger of throwing things away as we allowed Toppmoller's side back in the game when Marcus Bent clinically drove in his eighth of the season. It looked for all the world as if it was Piacenza all over again, but the third goal came from that man Anselmi again, heading in another Balzaretti cross. As Celtic and Birmingham drew, we're out top on our own. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Balzaretti, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Anselmi, Piras, Alexiou

We travel to Palermo looking to give them the same treatment we gave to Leverkusen. The team is unchanged, so we're in with a shout.

Palermo 1

Cassano 64

Varese 1

Milton do Ó 49

Cavalcante injured 16

Piras injured 90

Of our thirteen games so far, this is the seventh draw. I've complained in the past about not turning defeats into draws, but now there's been too many draws. In the past we might have won this game, but luck was against us today. In a goalless first half, Doukas opened early with a good shot parried wide, and Chartier headed over for Palermo. Claudio Cavalcante picked up a knock and went off for Giovanni Lombardi, but it wasn't serious, and he'll be back in two weeks. Alexiou and Piras linked well for the latter to have a chance, but he wasted his opening. When we took the lead, it was early in the second half through the rarest of goalscorers. Lombardi drove the corner over for Milton do Ó to head in his first goal for the club, after eighty-two games here. icon_smile.gif The equaliser came with the next main attack, as Mario Spanu sprinted through and crossed for Cassano to head in on his debut. Giordano Parisi could have nicked it in a stoppage time where Piras also went down to injury, but it is well beyond a joke. Coming to the end of the first part of the season, and we're five points off of relegation. icon_frown.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Balzaretti, Montanari, Cavalcante (Lombardi 16), Doukas©, Anselmi, Piras (Enyinnaya 90), Alexiou

• Administrators

Salernitana have had a better season than we have, and without Cavalcante in the middle of the park we have lost quite an influence. Lombardi is in, as is Enyinnaya for Piras.

Varese 1

Enyinnaya 35

Salernitana 1

Marcucci 81

I'm so mad I really won't go into details about this match for fear of going over the top. How have we let another win slip?!?!?!?! Enyinnaya's first half strike appeared to have given us the win in our last match before the three week winter break, but Massimo Marcucci scored to sneak a point away from us in the late stages. There is a lost mentality. Alexiou is a shadow of the player he has been here, and we just can't seem to buy a win. Really, I'll stop now before I say things I'll regret and threaten my job here (or is that such a bad thing?)

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Balzaretti, Montanari, Lombardi, Doukas©, Anselmi, Enyinnaya, Alexiou

After a bit of a break from all things Varese, I'm back, in 2013, to unveil our latest signing - the return of a legend. Carlos Alberto Viera Dos Santos has come home to the only place he's ever really been successful. Vicenza were unhappy with him, so I picked him up for £1.5m, a bargain. If he can reproduce his form from his first spell, it could be the catalyst for our season. icon_smile.gif He'll be straight into the team for tonight's game at Napoli.

There are over 60,000 fans in the San Paolo to see if the Neapolitans can replicate their Coppa Italia victory. Santos is in, but I have a striking crisis. The only two fit men I have are Anselmi and Alexiou, so they play almost by default. Cavalcante returns too.

Napoli 1

Corradi 9

Varese 1

Milton do Ó 34

It's an improvement, but for God's sake, another draw! icon_mad.gif In the first few seconds the home side could have had a penalty when Milton do Ó slid through Lodesani, but the referee found in favour of us, luckily, as it was a foul. Then it looked like the cup tie again, when Eugenio Corradi tapped in the opener after all Stekelenburg could do was to parry Mosca's header. The next attempt on goal was our equaliser, funnily enough. icon_biggrin.gif Doukas put in a free kick, and Milton do Ó, after so many games without a goal, scored his second in three games with a header. Santos was looking a little off key, but was still half dangerous when he had the chance. Into the second period, and a good save from Stekelenburg from Lodesani's drive. With a few minutes to go Alexiou drove onto the post, which was harsh, as the build up was perfect, and only the woodwork denied us a win. It's a decent start to the year, but a win needs to come in Serie A sooner or later. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Balzaretti, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, Anselmi, Alexiou

• Administrators

The table halfway through shows how too many draws affect us:

Italian Serie A - Wednesday 2nd January 2013

2012/3 Table

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

1st Lazio 15 5 3 0 13 2 4 3 0 10 2 33

2nd Juventus 15 4 2 2 11 7 6 1 0 9 1 33

3rd Inter 15 5 1 2 11 4 5 1 1 9 4 32

4th Parma 15 4 2 1 12 5 4 1 3 7 5 27

5th Napoli 15 4 3 1 10 4 2 4 1 5 4 25

6th Piacenza 15 4 2 1 12 7 3 2 3 8 8 25

7th Milan 14 5 0 2 12 4 3 0 4 6 6 24

8th Salernitana 14 4 2 0 9 2 2 4 2 8 8 24

9th Chievo 14 2 3 3 8 8 3 2 1 8 4 20

10th Bologna 15 4 0 3 8 9 2 2 4 9 12 20

11th VARESE 15 1 6 1 10 8 2 3 2 10 8 18

12th Lecce 15 3 2 3 7 6 1 4 2 9 10 18

13th Perugia 15 3 1 3 9 7 1 3 4 9 12 16

14th Palermo 15 1 3 4 9 13 2 1 4 5 14 13

15th Vicenza 15 1 2 4 1 7 1 3 4 7 16 11

16th Roma 14 0 3 3 5 12 2 1 5 7 14 10

17th Brescia 15 1 2 5 3 11 1 1 5 4 13 9

18th Torino 15 0 0 7 6 19 1 1 6 5 15 4

</pre>

• Administrators

The team I send to Bologna looks frighteningly like a Varese I know from days past. Escudero is in up front as Alexiou is injured, but Skalidis is back. Baggio is suspended, therefore Yepes is in.

Bologna 1

Natali 88

Varese 2

Santos 33

Escudero 69

Well well well well well! We seem to not only look like the Varese of old in terms of the team sheet, but also on the pitch. Quite how much of an influence Santos had is debatable, but he does that something special for us. He showed he's lost none of his old attributes as early as the fourth minute, driving hard and low at Lara in the home goal. Bologna's best player was debutant Daniele De Rossi, but we were very strong at the back. icon_redface.gif On thity-two minutes Balzaretti hit a long range shot well tipped over by Lara, but we did finally capitalise on our domination, and the goal came from the one man who has always been reliable for me. A loose ball ran invitingly for Santos, and he drilled low into the corner for his first goal of the season. icon_smile.gif It took us to half time in a nice lead, which the aim for the second half was to add to it. Skalidis had a decent opportunity to start off with, but he only found the side netting. With the taste of goals, even Milton do Ó had a chance with what else but a header? icon_biggrin.gif The key moment finally arrived with twenty minutes to go as we added the second. Escudero beat Comazzi and fired at Lara, who saved but spilled. Escudero was there to smash the rebound high into the net to continue a relatively decent record. Failing desperately to make it three, the last minutes were a real heartstopper, as first Natali headed a goal back for the Rossoblu, and then Stekelenburg was needed to keep Ligkos at bay. It's a very impressive win, and hopefully the start of something better. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Yepes, Balzaretti, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, Escudero, Skalidis

It's a triple header against Inter, Milan, and Juventus next. icon_redface.gif Followed by Torino, Lazio, Celtic, Roma, and Celtic again. icon_redface.gificon_frown.gif

Rather worryingly, we travel to Inter, who have had a good season, and are in third. I make just the one change, which is Baggio returning for Yepes.

Inter 1

Colombini 37

Colombini sent off 39

Varese 0

Surprisingly, I'm not as annoyed as you might think. We played better than we have in many games, but Inter's defence is so strong we couldn't get through. That and the woodwork. It was Roberto Colombini who actually tested the woodwork first, in the third minute, heading onto the foot of the post. Our luck continued as Christian Poulsen's effort was ruled out for offside, when it didn't look as if a whole lot was wrong with it. Our first chance(s) came on twenty-six minutes, when Skalidis' effort was pushed aside by Frey, and he did well to block Santos' rebound. We went behind rather predictably just under ten minutes before half time; Gerrard's cross headed in by Colombini. He then went absolutely nuts at the referee for penalising him for a foul on Baggio, and to the amazement of the Under-21 international, he was sent off! The man advantage gave us something to play with in the second half, and we would have been level had our first half luck not deserted us when perhaps we needed it most. Escudero hit a curler from distance which clipped the post, Frey beaten all the way. We did actually control the game after that, but the finishing was poor from all concerned. We can once more take some heart out of it, but heart doesn't get you up the table. The reality is that we lost - only for the fourth time in seventeen Serie A games though. :/

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Balzaretti, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, Escudero, Skalidis

• Administrators

We're back in the San Siro (or if you prefer, the Giuseppe Meazza) to face Milan, who have not had their best of seasons, languishing in seventh. We have never won here in the history of the club, but I am able to reunite Santos, Skalidis, and Alexiou. In the one season they were all here at the same time they scored sixty-eight goals between them. One would do me today, with a clean sheet. A huge ask though.

Milan 0

Hofland sent off 9

Varese 1

Santos 30

Apparently not too big of an ask! Again, it was hard, but we have a magnificent reward - three points from the San Siro for the first time ever! icon_cool.gif Maarten Stekelenburg was called upon to make two early saves, from headers courtesy of Émerson and Kutuzov. We then received help from the referee for the second week running. Santos and Hofland had a confrontation, during which I can only guess Cristiano Kulagic heard something out of place from the Dutchman, as he was promptly dismissed. It really disrupted the Milanese flow, and they really did look a shade of the dominant side I've come to know. So pale, in fact, we were able to take a lead after half an hour. Doukas played a trademark pass through for Santos, who used his pace and finishing to put us ahead. icon_smile.gif In the lead at the break, we all knew what it would take to hold on - November was the last time Milan failed to score at home, and even then it's rare. Matteo Brighi showed what a tight line we were on with a free kick on fifty-two which hit the post. Doukas worked amazingly throughout, throwing himself in front of tackles everywhere, leading like a true captain. We really couldn't attack through Milan's pressure, but when chances fell to Skalidis he did not punish them. Alexiou's header was straight at Abbiati, but the least I can say is that it was Alexiou's best performance for a long time. Brighi put a shot across the goal in stoppage time to threaten to wreck my dream, but nothing could today. We fully deserved the win, and with Santos, we're looking far better. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Balzaretti, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, Skalidis, Alexiou

We've always played pretty well against Juventus, and after last week's win we have massive confidence for their visit. One change is made, as Asara is back in for Balzaretti.

Varese 2

Alexiou 9

Santos 21

Montanari injured 79

Juventus 2

Pazzini 48

Menezes Guimaraes 87

It's indelibly etched into the fabric of the Varese vs Juventus match - the Bianconeri will score late to save themselves. In five of our twelve meetings they've earned no less than eleven points with goals in the last five minutes. Early on today, we were the best I've seen us be for a long time. Christos Alexiou scored his first league goal of the season - in January icon_eek.gif - after Doukas had passed him an open goal. Juve were in real trouble. We came forwards better than at any time this season, and deservedly doubled the lead on twenty-one when Santos dribbled through and lashed the wet ball into the net. icon_smile.gif With the 2-0 lead, it looked like we might actually hold on once more and take another step up the ladder. Stekelenburg was needed to make saves from Catania and Pazzini before half time, and Pegolo in the visiting goal did the same from Santos. When Juventus did score, it was very fortunate to say the least. Chonos crossed a ball which Pazzini flicked on. The ball looped up and landed in the net. A freak incident had given them something to work with, and Ranieri's side piled the pressure on. We lost Montanari to injury, and saw attempts from Alexiou (two) and Santos miss the target. Then came the late goal from a man who loves to score against us. Carlos Menezes Guimaraes made it double figures against Varese with a good first touch and a crisp low drive past Stekelenburg. It was a heart sinker, but it shows we're back with some good performances. But it's another draw! icon_frown.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Asara, Montanari (Balzaretti 79), Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, Skalidis, Alexiou

• Administrators

Torino are bottom of the table with only one win and one draw to their name. It has to be a win for our side. One change is made, Balzaretti covering the injured Montanari.

Torino 2

Villa 66

López 90

Varese 3

Skalidis 17, 80

Santos 70

The defending leaves a little to be desired, but by continually picking up points we're not averse to pushing up the league. Torino looked a sorry state of affairs, as we were pretty much camped in their half through the first half. The lead came just after a quarter of an hour through Skalidis' shot from the edge of the area. Sorrentino didn't see it, but unfortunately we didn't see another goal in the first half. Not for the lack of trying. Alexiou couldn't hit the back of the ball properly, and when Skalidis could he didn't find the target. The story was the same at the start of the second half, and I knew we would come to regret not building on a single goal lead. It happened on sixty-six minutes when Albert Villa tried pot luck from the edge of the area, which turned out to be a fantastic goal. At least then we woke up and found the goals to secure the win. Santos took the bull by the horns (which only Doukas has really been doing regularly prior to Santos' arrival) and hammered us back in the lead with his 100th Varese goal. icon_smile.gif Skalidis wrapped the points up nicely with a solo run, nutmegging Ballarin, jinking past Gatti, dribbling past De Santis, and finishing with a strong effort. icon_smile.gif Javier López scored another for the home side from Villa's cross in the ninety-fourth minute, too late to worry us any great deal. Improving our concentration is key, as then we can really kick on to the end of the season. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Balzaretti, Asara, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, Skalidis, Alexiou

Saturday afternoon, and a visit from fifth placed Lazio. This will be a sign of any progress, since they've always caused us trouble. Again, one change, as Montanari is fit again and comes in for Balzaretti.

Varese 3

Santos 5

Skalidis 11

Doukas 24

Skalidis injured 61

Lazio 1

Rabito 23

To a man, we excelled. The importance of a good start cannot be underestimated. We got a great one! icon_biggrin.gif Santos scored his fifth goal in only seven games back after five minutes, finding way too much space to convert Asara's cross. Then we got the second. Castroman was really left for dead by Skalidis' turn, and the Greek clipped the ball past Da Re and put us into a 2-0 lead. For some reason I did feel we needed a third, and that was justified through Andrea Rabito's silky turn and shot to reduce the arrears. The two goal cushion was however restored immediately, as nobody could stop Doukas surging through and scoring his fifth of the season. We didn't stop looking for goals - a directive I specifically gave. If we sat back, we would run the risk of conceding and losing the game. Lazio dealt with what they could, whilst still testing Stekelenburg from time to time. In the second half, we lost Skalidis to a dead leg, so he'll be back in a day or two, but his replacement, Fernando Escudero, hit the post with his first touch. Stekelenburg made a contender for save of the season, athletically clinging onto Yuri Shumanisky's thirty yard piledriver. It really was a good win, and we're only five points off of a Champions League spot. icon_redface.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Asara, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, Skalidis (Escudero 61), Alexiou

It turns out Santos' goal has once more put him ahead of Christos Alexiou in terms of league goals. He now has 82, to Alexiou's 81. What a tally - from both men! icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

We bring our good form into the return of the Champions League, where Celtic visit. They have an all star team, and could easily win the trophy. Escudero is in for Skalidis, who is not 100% fit to start.

Varese 0

Celtic 3

Parker 7

Defoe 79

Colucci 90

Ouch. icon_frown.gif Three-nil is just not on. We've played well recently, and ironically it had been in Europe where we played our best football. With Celtic away to come next week, we really needed the three points today to put ourselves into a good position to reach the knockout phase. Simon Jentzsch was our main enemy today, keeping all at bay when we tried to beat him. Alexiou was first to step up to the plate, but Jentzsch was as agile as a cat in springing to push the shot over. Celtic then scored the opener at too early a stage in the game to be acceptable. Fernando Torres tested Stekelenburg with a header which he couldn't hold, and Scott Parker pounced for the rebound. Alexiou was then denied again by the German stopper, and Escudero skied a shot over. Stekelenburg was needed to save from Torres, Defoe, and Barry before half time as Celtic took over. Torres even clipped the post on half time. They killed the game in the second half, stopping us from attacking. When Alexiou finally beat Jentzsch, Joleon Lescott was there to clear on the line. Jermain Defoe put any other result than a Celtic win beyond doubt ten minutes from time, beating Todisco and scoring with style. The harsh third came in stoppage time through Giuseppe Colucci, as he converted Joaquin's cross. I have to put this down to a lack of class tonight - Celtic were far the better team. icon_frown.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Asara, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, Escudero (Skalidis 72), Alexiou

The fans are really unhappy after the game, but I take time to explain the fact we were just not good enough. Whether I can do anything about it is only up for discovery. If I can't take Varese to the next stage, then maybe someone else should have the chance to.

And now for a visit to Roma. We've won on our last two visits here, and Roma have had some crises this season. Skalidis is fit enough to return.

Roma 3

Jobim 21

Cavenaghi 43, 71 (2 pens)

Varese 1

Santos 77

It goes from bad to worse. Last season we won 2-0 here with two penalties. This time around it was the reverse, and we feel a little harshly done. We even dominated. Santos could have given us an early lead on one or two occasions, but was denied flatly by Hugo Dias. When Valber Jobim scored for the second time against us this season, it was against the grain of the game, but few could deny the quality in his finish. Dias then made another good save, this time from the head of Asara, and then got even better from Skalidis' try. We had dominated so much of the half that it was a true sickener when Cavalcante was adjudged to have impeded Jobim in the area. It was a tame 'challenge' if I've ever seen one, but Cavanaghi sent Stekelenburg the wrong way. Our dominance was then worth nothing, as we had been cheated out of the game, and even though we started the second half well, there was no real point as we had already lost the game. Twenty minutes from time another penalty was given for a carbon copy situation involving the same two Brazilians. Cavalcante was crushed, Cavenaghi delighted as he added another. Clearly fed up, Santos scored his goal with a firecracker of a shot from the edge of the area, but it was all to no avail. It's going downhill again, and I'm in that depressed mode, wondering if there's anything I can do about it. icon_frown.gif (There has to be - I'm the manager! icon_biggrin.gif )

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Asara, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, Skalidis, Alexiou

I've been on a down all week, and it won't be helped by a trip to Celtic Park, where we are more than likely to get some more of the same as last week. No changes are made.

Celtic 3

Colucci 42

Fernando Torres 51

Defoe 70

Varese 1

Cavalcante 54

Yet again, outclassed. I really thought this would be the season of progression. How wrong I seem to have been. Celtic are good, but no way should we have conceded six in three hours of football against them. We held out so well in the first half at a crowded Parkhead, but when we fell behind on forty-two minutes it was a real gem. Giuseppe Colucci shot from a fair distance and found the top corner - 'postage stamping' the ball if you like. That was all it took. Six minutes into the second half, Fernando Torres doubled the lead with a clinical finish, not too dissimilar to the way Alexiou was finishing this time last season. We then managed to get a goal, as Doukas' free kick was headed home by Cavalcante, but not even that could inspire us. When they needed it, Celtic got a third from Jermain Defoe, to leave us third in the Group, but still in with a decent chance of qualifying - we need to win our last two games.

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio, Asara, Montanari, Cavalcante, Doukas©, Santos, Skalidis, Alexiou

I've decided: If we lose Sunday's home game versus Napoli, I will hand in my resignation. I can't stand seeing Varese like this, and as manager the buck stops with me. We haven't been our usual selves this season, and a defeat to Napoli would be the final straw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Well, it's judgement day for me at least. Rumour has spread that it could be my last game, but nobody except me really knows. We're unchanged for the visit of Napoli, but will I still be here at the end of the match?

Varese 2

Alexiou 14

Doukas 22

Baggio sent off 63

Napoli 2

Márquez 57, 63 pen

Well, we didn't lose, so I'm still here. I'm a little happier that we didn't lose, but the win should still have come, and at only picking up yet another draw, I'm annoyed. We had the lead by the quarter hour mark, as Cavalcante created a chance for Alexiou to roll in. It got better eight minutes later as Asara chipped the ball in to Doukas, and he slammed us two-nil ahead. With the lead maintained until half time, everything was looking rosy, but I still had the notion that should Napoli get one, they were very capable of getting another. They seemed to know that too, and started the second half by looking for a goal. Nicola Orru could have scored it, but the chance finally fell to Juan Luis Márquez, who rose higher than Santos and headed in. It was the first of two in six minutes for him. The second came from the spot after the Spaniard had won a penalty after Baggio barged him. It was considered a second yellow card offence, and he received his first ever red card. Márquez converted. It's a point I suppose, but the win would have been nicer. And I'm staying, for now at least. How much longer, only our performances can tell. My team showed enough heart today to warrant me staying.

• Administrators

I appealed against the suspension for Vittorio Baggio on the ground the first yellow card was unfair, and the FIGC agree. He will not be suspended. icon_smile.gif

We can keep up the pressure on the sides above us by shortening the lead they hold, if we beat Vicenza away. Again, we're unchanged, which can't be a bad thing.

Vicenza 0

Varese 2

Alexiou 42

Skalidis 58

A little stat: this is the first time both Alexiou and Skalidis scored in the same game since August 19th icon_eek.gif . We deserved these three points, and played very well to get them. Vicenza did very well to get as far as they did at 0-0, thanks mainly to a great performance from Massimiliano Pinna in goal. Before we took the lead he kept pretty much the whole of our team at bay by himself, we were that dominant. He couldn't do it forever though, and minutes before the half time break Santos picked out Alexiou, and he headed in an eighth goal of a disappointing season. Skalidis hit the post one minute later, but he scored thirteen minutes after the restart. Cavalcante picked him out, and he struck a half volley low and hard into the bottom corner. That, to me, was the win sewn up, and I was quite happy at the way we played out the game, leaving us in what is a pretty good position for the season we've had. icon_smile.gif

After rejecting their £4.6m bid for Andrea Todisco, I receive another from Lazio today for £5.5m, the most anyone's ever offered for him. He's not going, at least whilst I have anything to do with it.

We can still make the Champions League Quarter Finals if we win our last two games in the group. Birmingham are the latest visitors, and we'll move above them with a win. Unchanged for the fourth straight game.

Varese 0

Stekelenburg sent off 37

Baggio injured 17

Cavalcante injured 54

Birmingham 0

Richards sent off 53

It was a strange game, and one which could have a negative long term effect. We lose our goalkeeper to suspension, and two of our best players to injury for at least three weeks. Doukas had the earliest of the chances, a low bobbling effort at Benvegnu. Baggio then was forced off with an ankle injury, so Yepes slotted right into place. When Milton do Ó found space in the area, he got a nosebleed and tried a volley, which missed the goal. icon_frown.gif Skalidis actually found the target with a header, but also found Benvegnu. Mark Arnold then turned his style on, and hit the post with his first real involvement of the game. Then, after a corner, Stekelenburg and Arnold got into a little dispute, which saw my goalkeeper push the Birmingham forward to the ground (a little exaggerated) and Stekelenburg was sent off. Girardi came on for Asara and we moved to a back four. He made his first save within minutes, from Arnold. The second half started with another red card. Stuart Richards lunged at Alexiou, and really did deserve this red card. At ten a side, we were back in with a real shout. But after Benvegnu saved Doukas' free kick, Cavalcante also went off injured, so Lombardi became our third sub. Skalidis hit a final shot wide in injury time, but 0-0 is still acceptable, considering a win over Leverkusen, combined with anything but a Birmingham win, will see us through. icon_smile.gif

Team: Stekelenburg, Milton do Ó, Todisco, Baggio (Yepes 17), Asara (Girardi 37), Montanari, Cavalcante (Lombardi 54), Doukas©, Santos, Skalidis, Alexiou

Rangers contact the club bidding £8m for Andrea Todisco - a lump sum up front, and a fee after appearances. I still reject.

Archived