Real Betis, Win-or-Lose Performance Tactic [56k Warning]

Hey all,

Being a CM(Sigames)/FM player for around 13 years, I always have adored CM/FM's realism and devotion into tactics side of the game. That's why I could easily spend half an hour or more on a tactic.

However since FM'08, I have been failing the series miserably. I got sacked from Hoffenheim (FM'09) with a bunch of tactics (one different tactic in each game) three times where I needed a rest longer than Sven Göran Eriksson, whereas I think Eriksson needs to be cleansed of "football" if it ever has traces in his mind.

So I fired up a new game with my favorite team on the game, Real Betis Balompie, and having taught that harmony is more important than ever, I kept as few transfers as possible (I'm a fanatic headhunter, check my Headhunter's Lair thread). Below is my regular eleven (and obviously my field layout):

tactic.jpg

teaminst.jpg

As you can see there are only 3 players (Honda, Dikgacoi and Gioda) out of total 4 transfers that made it to regular eleven which makes me think that I did not dismay the harmony of the team.

With this tactic, I finished 9th in my first season with following stats (board finds it excellent regarding that I had set "mid table finish" as the target for the season):

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2021/overallq.jpg (I had to give the link itself instead of image-tagging it, since there is a limitation of 4 for a post)

Having a memorable Betis game in CM01/02 back in time, where I had finished my first season as 4th while making it to the UEFA Cup Final rising from Intertoto, I'm dubious if my performance in this game in FM'09 is a success or not. I'd like your views on these, to begin with.

However, as the following screenshots should depict, my away performance is simply a disaster. I'm the only team that did not relegate with having sat in the 3rd bottom seat, thanks to my terrific home performance.

homerec.jpg

awayrec.jpg

I always, as highly likely that most of you do, like having a team performing better at away matches, that's how I had made it to UEFA finals back then. Draw at home, knock'em off on away.

The question arises here: Should this tactic be altered so as to sustain a more acceptable away performance ? Or do tactics settle in with their 2nd season in FM'09? (they could settle in former series of the game)

However I don't want to be losing my "score easily at home" ability whereas getting used to see every away match as a loss from the very start is an accepted humiliation and needs to be changed.

e.g. Should I erase forward run arrows of my midfielders? Or what?

The difficulty I've experienced for the last two series, as an experienced manager who could easily make up a well-thought tactic that would make Bursaspor sit in 3rd seat in Turkish Super League in their 1st season, is humiliating me and I simply look for advices on what I'm missing with this game.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you should make a tactic for away games. However, you can keep your current tactic for home games.

In away games, opponents are playing at home, and are more likely to attack, close down and be more gungho.

This does not apply to bigger teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid, where they can use the same tactic and still breeze through the league.

In order not to mess the players up, stick with the same formation, but alter things abit.

Identify what is wrong in away games.

I usually find that my passing success rate goes down dramatically in away games due to the opponents employing a heavier closing down.

So a quicker and more direct style might help.

I'll be examining who have scored against me in away matches to figure out from where I generally conceded. 'Cause I have a feeling that more than half of the goals came from ~20m-far shots just outside and around the box.

However I'm still failing to see how come they could be scoring from such points, since it is obvious that my tactic is middle-dense.

Still looking for ideas.

I'll be examining who have scored against me in away matches to figure out from where I generally conceded. 'Cause I have a feeling that more than half of the goals came from ~20m-far shots just outside and around the box.

However I'm still failing to see how come they could be scoring from such points, since it is obvious that my tactic is middle-dense.

Still looking for ideas.

If it is from 20m out, then it might be down to D-line and closing down.

I'm guessing that you have a deep d-line, and so all your players will thus be positioned deeper and will allow the opposition to take pot shots from long range.

Sorry for having to speak non-English here however he says that he wants to help me, and regarding that it's almost impossible to communicate in English for us, you'll be reading Turkish below.

Yukarıda neden Türkçe konuşacağımı açıkladım.

Şimdi sorun şu. Görüldüğü üzere ilk sezon yaptığım 4 transferden 3'ü ilk onbirde oynamak koşulu ve gördüğün dizilimle 9. bitirdim La Liga'yı. Evimde sıkıntı çekmezken deplasmana gidince takım ezilip büzülüyor. Bırak kazanmayı, direkt yenileceğimi bilerek çıktım deplasman maçlarına bir noktadan sonra. Away Record resminde gördüğün üzere deplasman performansımla lig düşüyorum.

Ne yapacağımı bilemedim, 13 senedir oynuyorum şu oyunu, taktik kısmına bayılırım ama özellikle son iki senedir ne yapsam kâr etmiyor. Başlığını ve taktiğini gördüm, tebrik ediyorum ama rica ederim "benim taktiği denesene ehemehe" yapma.

Bitti.

Thanks for your tolerance.

• 2 weeks later...

Genişlik gerçekten önemli bir ayarmış, takımy ayılsın diye açıyordum ama dar formasyon daha iyi işliyor. Ama hala deplasmanlarda işkence çekiyorum.

Teşekkürler.

@pilsken

I think the tactic itself work out alright first. Losing every other away game should not be depending on minor modificators such as the ones you speak about. Not that I'm saying they don't have effect on your results though. Thanks

Genişlik gerçekten önemli bir ayarmış, takımy ayılsın diye açıyordum ama dar formasyon daha iyi işliyor. Ama hala deplasmanlarda işkence çekiyorum.

Teşekkürler.

@pilsken

I think the tactic itself work out alright first. Losing every other away game should not be depending on minor modificators such as the ones you speak about. Not that I'm saying they don't have effect on your results though. Thanks

I dont think you understood me. I asked you about team talks and opposition instructions, do you use them? :)

Archived