Leeds - Return to The Promised Land or Mid-table Misery

Leeds2022

Saturday 27th August - (Elland Road, Leeds United V Wolves, Championship)

Wolves are currently sitting top of the league and are unbeaten in 4. "Right lads, they're sitting pretty at the moment and no doubt high on confidence. I want us to be sharp and, pardon the pun, on the ball." The lads all nod and get ready to walk out, I leave them to it and go and make my way to the dugout.

Its a warm evening and the atmosphere is one of expectation, I can sense the apprehension and excitement in the air. The crowd are in good voice and belt out song after song, the match hasn't even started. I turn and wave to them in the stands and the crowd cheers and whistles back, boy am I looking forward to this. I'd love to beat any team managed by Hoddle.

Starting Line Up:

Bennet, Pugh, Kilgallon, Kelly, Hooiveld, Lewis, Derry, Douglas, Einarsson, Demouge and Cresswell

Kick Off:

I thought it would be a tough match but Wolves don't show why they're top of the league and it seems the players are giving them way too much respect. The lads come into it a lot more and start to look dangerous, Demouge is beating the midfielders and defenders in the air time and again, setting up play and delivering pinpoint passes. We hammer the goal but Oakes is on form and keeps everything out, the half draws on and at half time we're definately the better team.

In the dressing room the lads are looking relatively pleased with themselves. I turn to Cresswell and Demouge and tell them they can do it. I give the rest of the team a motivational speech and tell them they can easily take the 3 points. I remind them that this is probably our highest attendance so far this season.

The second half is fantastic. We look even better than I could have hoped, we turn their defense inside out with ease. They get a few breakaways and almost ruin the day but Bennet makes some fantastic stops to keep it level. Wolves get another breakaway and theres a race between Hooiven and Miller, Hooiven wins the race and neatly turns Miller and fires a ball down the right flank, Douglas runs with it and passes brilliantly to Cresswell who takes it past Edwards and brings the keeper out before squaring it for Demouge to pass into the net. The fans erupt into song and "Marching on Together" reverberates around the stands, I have to remember not to join in and make do with jumping up and down like a fool. We're looking unstoppable now and we take the ball of their player seconds after kick off and break quickly, 5 quick passes later and Einarsson runs through to poke the ball past the sprawling Oakes. 2-0 and the game is effectively over, 20 minutes remain and Wolves never look like getting back into it. The team and I applaud the fans at the end of full time as they go off to a standing ovation.

Final Score (Leeds United 2-0 Wolves)

My Man Of The Match: Matthew Kilgallon, the rock in the heart of defense today, never looked like getting beaten to the ball and used his possession wisely to set up some brilliant attacking play.

Me, the players and the fans go home happy in the knowledge that we're two points clear at the top of the league. Bring on Luton Town away, bring it on!

Monday 29th August Morning 9:00 (Lettinga Transfer Angers Telstar Fans)

I'm having a gander at the latest transfer news and rumours in the morning papers and I notice that I've seemingly caused an uproar over in Holland. It seems that most Telstar fans are in unison over their frustration and anger that one of their brightest stars has been sold, apparently they think I've got him at a bargain. Well £275,000 isn't that much I suppose but thats football, they accepted the bid and he's a Leeds lad now.

On another page I spot the Championship picks of the week and see to my delight that my new signing Demouge and the Icelander Einarsson are both in the team of the week. I'll show them this in training and hopefully it'll give them a little more confidence. "Right thats enough reading" I mutter and decide to do something useful.

I go over to the wall and scan the fixture list, I immediately feel stupid. I can't believe I forgot we had Luton Town away today, I thought It was on Tuesday. What a simple mistake to make. I hope the lads are well rested, 2 games in 3 days is a bit much I reckon, hope we don't get any bad injuries or we could well be scuppered.

Howsons in demand

I receive an e-mail from a couple of clubs, Mansfield and Chester respectively. Enquiring about a possibly 5 month loan deal for young striker Jonny Howson. I'd spoken to Jonny about the possibility of loan football recently and he seemed up for it, he seems a keen young lad just like Rothery. I decide to e-mail back and tell them we've accepted the offer but it's now up to the player on whether he wants to join or not.

Next stop the training ground, I need to give the lads a brief on tonights game and make sure they know its on. First I'd better get all my notes in order, I'm usually pretty neat but I've been unusually busy lately. Ah the joys of football management.

Monday 29th August Afternoon 12:00 (Thorpe Arch Training Facility)

"Right lads, we've got a game tonight as you all should know if you've cared to look at the fixture list", god I can't talk I think to myself, I almost missed it myself. A couple of the lads notice that I've gone slightly red and snigger, I carry on as if I haven't seen them. "Todays a big game, Kenilworth Roads a tough place to play, the supporters are almost on the pitch and it's a claustrophobic atmosphere. I want you all mentally and physically prepared for this. Speaking of physically prepared, I want you to train for one more hour and then its time to get on the coach, the match is at 3 and it will take a while to get there".

Monday 29th August Afternoon 3:00 (Kenilworth Road, Luton Town V Leeds United, Championship)

I pause outside the ground and take a look, it's a pretty knackered old place. Apparently they've got a stadium move in the pipeline which must explain the neglect and lack of investment. I look up and laugh, theres nets suspended between the floodlights to stop balls escaping the stadium, my concentrations broken for a moment as I hear the roaring and cheering of the Luton fans, it's only a small place but they make a big noise.

I announce the team for today in the changing room as I usually do now. I've made pretty big changes from the team that beat Wolves on Saturday, a few of the lads were looking tired so I decided to keep them to the bench for now. I wanted to see more of Sullivan so I called him up between the sticks, Harding and Demouge are recalled and I decide to replace loanee Douglas with new boy Lettinga. We stick to the same 4-3-1-2 Attacking formation.

Starting Line Up:

Sullivan, Harding, Kilgallon, Kelly, Hooiveld, Lewis, Derry, Lettinga, Einarsson, Demouge and Cresswell

Kick Off:

We start at high tempo and attack from the off. Lettinga almost starts the scoring when he swings a beautiful ball through to Cresswell, I jump up and think he's got to stick this one away, but no the keeper dives at full stretch and palms it away, the balls promptly cleared out of play by ex Leeds lad Crainey. We're rewarded when the resultant corner by Lettinga is swung in and I can't believe how brilliantly Demouge headers it as he was running away from the goal to head it in. The crowd is immediately silenced and I feel like an idiot for going mad when we scored, I quickly sit down and wait for the restart. Things go from bad to worse, Luton start to come back into it and are denying us the ball at every oppportunity, I start to feel it's just a matter of time before something's going to happen. It takes till the 31st minute for them to make the breakthrough, by sheer persistance and a little bad marking Luton get the ball into the area, a cross by Underwood is met on the goal line by Rowan Vine to power in the equaliser. I'm incensed by the manner of their goal and let out a verbal tirade at the players who start arguing about who's to blame. It was the whole bloody team, not one of them went for a bloody tackle and let them come at us. That was the bad and now here's the worse, on 41 minutes we deal well with a foray into our area and it looks as though Lewis can comfortably move forward with the ball, however he does one of THE worst passes I have ever seen straight to the opposition, our players are caught out and Edwards fires the ball through to the running form of Dean Morgan who slots the ball home. I slam my fist against the dugout wall, Sam looks suprised, I look like I'm about to bloody explode. I run over to the touchline and shout for them to bloody tighten it up. I'm starting to get the feeling of Deja-Vous and images of the Cardiff and Preston match run through my mind.

The half time dressing room is a cauldron of rage, I slam the manner in which we conceded twice. "What the ******* hell was that?, eh? This is professional football, not Sunday league, our bloody pride is at stake here so pull your bloody fingers out will you. Can you hear the jeering out there? I want you to silence them, now go out there and play with some bloody passion will you."

We start off a little brighter than we ended the first half, we're going in for tackles and passing with a bit more urgency. I breathe a little easier but we're still loosing. It gets to the 63rd minute and I decide it's time for a change, I bring on Healy and Douglas for Demouge and Lettinga who both look knackered. Lewis is looking out of sorts and I hope he sorts himself out, meanwhile the new additions are immediately making an impact, Harding launches a long ball to Healy just inside the area, Healy's tripped by Chris Coyne and it's a penalty, I rise to my feet and run to the touchline, BANG, he puts it neatly into the bottom left corner and sends the keeper to wrong way. The crowd are going mad and are throwing stuff onto the pitch and screaming obscenities at the ref, I can't help but chuckle as it was a lucky penalty really. A pass from Underwood back to Crainey unexpectedly sets us up for our 3rd goal of the afternoon, Underwood sends a simple ball back to Crainey who takes one touch too many and allows Cresswell to tackle him and take the ball round the dumbfounded keeper. Poor Crainey and against his old team too, our away fans are chanting "Are you a Leeds lad in disguise" much to mine and Sams amusement. Luton look rattled and we're looking dangerous, Douglas is finding Healy again and again as Healy narrowly nods a cross wide of goal. Einarsson heads a lovely ball back to Derry who feeds it forward to Healy who then holds it and then sticks it forward into the path of Einarsson who takes a couple of touches before driving it past the keeper. 4-2 in the 89th minute and the Luton fans are silenced for the rest of the game, we've come back from 2-1 down and tonked them 4-2. The whistle goes and the lads are hugging each other, I run over to the far touchline where the entrance to the tunnel is, I congratulate the lads and tell them that they did fantastically well to come back from the defecit. The lads are in good spirits and all want to shake my hand.

Final Score (Luton Town 2-4 Leeds United)

My Man Of The Match: Gylfi Einarsson, he never gave up and inspired the lads to a hard fought victory when the odds seemed stacked against us. He looked confident in possession and got himself involved in all the action.

The long journey from Lutons going to be a good time to tell the lads that I've decided to let Richardson go to Newcastle, a few of the team had been asking why he wasn't a sub today. Hopefully telling them we're two points clear at the top will ease their worries.

Tuesday 30th (Team Talk Inspiration)

Today I read the Yorkshire Post and am delighted to read that Jos Hooiveld has told the press how brilliantly I inspired the comeback after half time.

"Yeh, the boss was fantastic, he was angry with us but it shows that he cares so much about the club, he inspired us to give our all and emerge triumphant. The whole teams performance changed after his talk and I think he got it spot on."

Excellent, it seems my talk did do the trick after all, right better see if theres any last minute bids for my players. I check the phones and theres a message from Frazer Richardson. "Hi Chris, Its Frazer, I wanted to let you know that I've accepted Graemes offer and I'll be joining them tomorrow. Thanks for letting me go, I really need this, tell all the lads that I'll miss them."

Wednesday 31st August (Reaction To Richardson Release)

I'm in the office getting through some of the mounting paperwork when Rose comes in and slaps The Sun down in front of me. "Read this." she points to an article on the 2nd to last page.

I look at the article and chuckle, it seems Milwall are showing their ambitions for the season by buying old warhorse Brian Deane from Perth Glory. Hope he does well for them, he's getting on a bit though. Rose tuts and points further down the page, I see it and my face drops.

Fans Anger At Sale Of Young Star

Yesterday saw the £1,000,000 transfer of Leeds youngster Frazer Richardson to Newcastle United. Frazer is said to be delighted at the opportunity to play at a higher level, the Leeds fans however have a much different view point. They believe that Marsh undervalued the player and let him go for much less than he was worth. Marsh has currently been unavailable for comment on the matter.

Of course I've not been available, they didn't bloody ask me. So the fans are p****d off then, well maybe they should run the financial side and see how easy it is to turn a £1,000,000 offer for a £250,000 player down.

Rose sees the look of annoyance on my face and interjects. "Oh yes, we've had a call from Jonny Howson, he's decided to join Mansfield on loan for a 5 month period. He said to tell you he looks forward to showing you what he's learnt when he returns."

"Thanks Rose, I hope he has an enjoyable time there, he's a talented lad. Was there anything else I need to know?"

"Well I've heard rumour that Rob Hulse is back to full training now, but don't hold me to that, It's just what I've heard."

"Ok Rose thanks, bring me a glass of water and then you can go."

Rose leaves to get the water while I turn back to the paper and read the article again. Hmm I'm going to have to give them something pretty special if they're to forgive me anytime soon.

Thursday 1st September (Manager Of The Month)

Rose walks into the office looking excited and holding a bottle of Champagne and another object I don't recognise. She sticks them on the desk in front of me, she looks like she's got some exciting news to tell me, suddenly she blurts out "Haven't you heard Chris?, you're manager of the month!".

A quick look of shock appears on my face before giving way to sheer delight, I can't believe it, my first month in charge and I'm already getting recognition for it. Lets hope it's the first of many. Rose also informs me that young Kilgallon came second in the young player of the month award, I'm proud of the lad, he's shown real progress so far.

Can things get any better, we're financially sound, we're two points clear at the top and I'm manager of the month. I feel like I can take on anything now, the phone goes and it's about

Rob Hulse. I a few seconds later I slam the phone down and feel like bashing my head against the wall.

Robs suffered fractured ribs in training and will be out for between 4 and 8 weeks. Bloody marvellous.

Friday 9th September (Worthy Wants A Win)

Its been a quiet week as the World Cup qualifiers have been on and a few of the first teamers are away on international duty. I've made an enquiry into a possible replacement for Frazer by the name of Rick Bochem, hes got twice the talent and we should get him for cheap.

I'm reading through the papers looking to find any news on us and I'm shocked to see that Norwich boss Nigel Worthington has told the press that his side will beat us at Elland Road on Saturday."Yes we are confident of beating Leeds on Saturday, no problem." I'm shocked that the quiet man could be quite so unprofessional, I dial up the number for the sports desk at the paper and ask for the reporter, "Yes I have got a response thank you, I just have this to say, I do believe that Norwich have enough quality to justify their self belief, but they'd also have to play pretty well to beat our lads at home." Thats a slightly more professional response than he's expecting I bet, but I wasn't about to let that one go by.

I'm looking forward to the match tomorrow now, it's just got slightly more competitive.

Saturday 10th September (Elland Road, Leeds United V Norwich City, Championship)

Before the match the media are keen to interview Nigel Worthington and I following our supposed "War of words." I hear from one reporter that Nigels refused to comment on our chances of winning today, but another reports that Leeds are going into the match favourites and that their "Rookie" boss has something to prove. Hmm I wonder who's got it right. I respond by letting all the media present know that confidence is extremely high in the Elland Road camp and that we fear no-one. I notice that a few of the players are hovering around in the background and are looking very pleased at what I just said. Lets hope it translates to a big win for us.

I get to the changing room and it goes quiet, suddenly Derry speaks up and thanks me for having faith in the team, he says that all the lads are impressed with the start we've made and they owe it to me. I can't help but smile but I try to remain professional. "Right lads, heres todays line up, I want your full concentration today, they're a sharp team and will punish any mistake." I announce the team for today. I've made a few changes, a couple of players failed to impress against Luton and I can't afford to give them time to get used to things, I need results now. Sullivan retains his position in goal but I bring Blake in on the right for Lettinga and Healy up front for Demouge who looks a little tired. We stick to the same 4-3-1-2 Attacking formation that's been serving us so well.

Starting Line Up:

Sullivan, Harding, Kilgallon, Kelly, Hooiveld, Lewis, Derry, Blake, Einarsson, Healy and Cresswell

Kick Off:

Norwich start the brighter of the two teams, it looks like Worthington was right, confidence is high. They use their wide men to good effect sending in a few probing balls looking to find a weakness. We manage to get up the other end of the pitch and the crowd really gets going after some brilliant play from the lads which results in the ball dropping to Einarsson with the goal at his mercy, he thunders it into the bottom corner, the crowd start to jump up and I almost spill my water, its saved, what a brilliant stop by Gallagher, he threw himself and stopped it just in the nick of time, Drury knocks it out for a corner and my heart's in my mouth. We start to get into it and force some more brilliant saves from their keeper. Disaster strikes on the half hour mark. A Leon McKenzie shot is deflected and its heading wide, Sullivan inexplicably dives for it in an attempt to save a corner and the ball bounces off him, Dean Ashtons the quickest to react and gets away from his marker and diverts the ball into the empty net. I can barely control my fury at Sullivans schoolboy error, the crowd are going mad and so am I. The big Scot shouts at his defense and reprimands them for not keeping Ashton at bay. What a brilliant start to a must win match. The Norwich fans are on song and are enjoying their teams performance so far, I however am tearing my hair out. Just as I'm resigning myself to the fact that we're probably going to draw at best the crowd jump to their feet and cheer as one, Lewis intercepts a bad pass and feeds it to Cresswell who tries to play it back, the ball bounces off Jarret and finds its way to Einarsson who fires a simply sublime curler into the top corner, Norwich are stunned and I'm feeling hopeful. That lasts exactly 3 minutes when seemingly out of nowhere McKenzie fires the ball into the back of the net, I think everyone in the stadium is stunned with that, it takes a few seconds for the Norwich fans to react, I retreat to the bench and plan the next half.

"Lads, we need to win this match. It's imperative that we get the early goal and shut their fans up. We need all three points today so make me proud will you. Go out there and win it for the fans"

We look a different side this half and are rewarded 10 minutes from the restart when Derry pokes the ball home in a goal mouth scramble that reminds me of a conference league match. The crowd are on their feet and clapping at our sides response after the first half, they're really getting behind us now and we look dangerous. We're finding spaces all over the park but we lack a defining finish to our play, I'm confident that we'll find a winner from somewhere. My confidence is rewarded in the 73rd minute when young substitute Douglas thunders a shot into the roof of the net after connecting with a Lewis free kick, I jump up and punch the air, that was beautiful, we're looking dominant and keep on pounding on Norwich's door. We get to the 90th minute and the crowd are whistling, they want this match over and the 3 points in the bag. 5-4-3-2-1, the crowd go mental and so do I, we've come from 2-1 down to dominate the 2nd half and win 3-2. God I hope Worthingtons learnt a thing or two about me today.

Final Score (Leeds United 3-2 Norwich City)

My Man Of The Match: Eddie Lewis was simply fantastic, feeding in quality ball after quality ball and giving our strikers chance after chance to put the game beyond doubt. His brilliant free kick resulted in the winner from Douglas and I made sure to congratulate him after the match.

We're now 5 points clear and I and the fans are smiling all the way home tonight. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Worthington.

Sunday 11th September (Leeds 5 Points Clear at Top)

I pick up the Sunday paper and am delighted to see we have a larger that normal column detailing our match against Norwich yesterday.

Resurgent Leeds bury Crumbling Canaries

Yesterday witnessed Christopher Marsh's Leeds United come back from a dire 2-1 defecit and dire performance to produce a performance worthy of champions.

The first half saw some extremely bad play from the Leeds squad who were punished by two admittedly flukey goals from Ashton and McKenzie. At half time the manager apparently told the team it was a must win game, but what ever he said certainly did the trick. Leeds looked a different team and their confidence showed in their play. Eddie Lewis in particular leading by example and giving the Leeds strikers plenty of ammunition and got the assist for a spectacular goal by Jonathan Douglas.

Currently City boss Nigel Worthington has been unavailable for comment. Yesterdays performance sees Leeds 5 points clear at the top of the Coca-Cola Championship.

Brilliant, I'll bet he's been unavailable for comment, bet he's sick as a dog after harking on about how his boys will do us over at our place. Obviously I'd of been the same had we lost, but we didn't and his team aren't top of the league.

Tuesday 12th September (Walkers Stadium, Leicester City V Leeds United, Championship)

Its a short trip down to Leicester and the lads are quiet. It's not the same without Gary Kelly who's currently out after an injury in training, I start to wonder if his absence has damaged their confidence, I decide to try and inspire them "Todays another 6 pointer for us lads, Leicester have been tipped for promotion and will be looking to this match as a test of their promotion mettle. I want us to show them the meaning of promotion contenders and leave them reeling. Ok?"

The lads perk up and start asking questions, mainly about who I thinks going to win the league this season and other speculative questions. I remain optimistic and tell them that it's between about 3 teams, us included. This seems to sate their desire for knowledge at this juncture and hopefull they begin to concentrate on preparing mentally for the game.

I get to the changing room a few minutes after the lads, I got stopped by a match official informing me that he hopes both sides will be well behaved. I walk in to find the lads scrawling tactics and moves they've been practising on the training pitch. After the situation on the bus I'm feeling more optimistic about the guys chances of doing their stuff today. "Right lads, I'm happy to see you're enthusiastic and full of your own ideas but we'll be sticking with the usual formation, you know the saying, if it ain't broke..." They all laugh and say that they were thinking out loud. Marques deputises for the absent Kelly and Demouge replaces the out of favour Healy. I'm worried about the Irishman, he hasn't looked his usual sharp self recently.

Starting Line Up:

Sullivan, Harding, Kilgallon, Marques, Hooiveld, Lewis, Derry, Blake, Einarsson, Demouge and Cresswell

Kick Off:

We start on the back foot in the first minute when suddenly a long clearance from Einarsson puts Cresswell in the clear, the crowd hold their breath and I will him to hit the ball, but he keeps going and gets closer before firing it straight at the keeper who does well to close him down quickly. This is a signal of intent and I like it. Both sides seem intent to keep it in midfield and nothing much happens, Lewis tries to get past Maybury who blocks him and the ball, Lewis regains control and comes back before firing in a left footed cross that goes diagonally across the box and seemingly misses everyone, wait the players are celebrating, Hooivelds scored a diving header at the far post. I give Sam a high five and give the thumbs up to the players, what a start. We get our second in the 38th minute, Cresswell receives the ball up the pitch in a seemingly hopeless position and feeds it to Demouge who plays it to Lewis, Lewis feeds it forward to Demouge who's in the clear and takes it menacingly towards the keeper before driving it past him for our second, fantastic.

The half time team talk consists of a keep it up and don't get sloppy, they have the quality to get back in it.

Leicester start of brightly and Sullivan keeps us in it with a series of brilliant close range stops, I'm getting slightly worried as they're finding gaps in our defence again and again. I'm worried that is, until Cresswell tries to run onto another long range clearance, Rab Douglas gets to it first and clears it, fortunately to Lewis who fires it forward to Demouge, he turns one man, runs forward past another whos trying to get in front of him, before jinking inside and holding off two more and releasing the ball past the keeper. Simply superb, we should be playing in Europe not the Championship. The games put beyond doubt 5 minutes later in the 58th minute when some clever play between Derry and Demouge results in the ball being driven into the area, the shocking Leicester defence doesn't cope with it and Blake diverts it inside the far post for our 4th, I jump up and race to the touchline and shout my praise, we're 4-0 up away in front of a packed Walkers stadium and I'm delighted. The match peters out after that and Leicester lack the will to fight on, our fans cheer and sing their hearts out as the home fans depart early. It's going to be a brilliant atmosphere on the coach back home. In the end we could have got another 4 were it not for the heroics of their keeper, I turn and applaud the fans who came down with us, I hear the chant "Marshing on together" echo around the emptying ground, some of the fans are clapping and lauging, I just feel like I'm going beetroot red.

Final Score (Leicester City 0-4 Leeds United)

My Man Of The Match: Very difficult, the whole team deserved it but Demouge's outstanding individual efforts just earn him the honour in my book. He was simply brilliant.

Other results have gone against us but we're 7 points clear, the lads and I cheer on the coach home when the league standings are read out on the radio. "Well done Leeds, you've really done the fans proud tonight, get home and get an early night. You've played outstandingly well tonight and I want you fit for the next game."

A 4-0 thumping of Leicester on my 9th game in charge, if only the season would end now.

Tuesday 12th September (Walkers Stadium, Leicester City V Leeds United, Championship)

Its a short trip down to Leicester and the lads are quiet. It's not the same without Gary Kelly who's currently out after an injury in training, I start to wonder if his absence has damaged their confidence, I decide to try and inspire them "Todays another 6 pointer for us lads, Leicester have been tipped for promotion and will be looking to this match as a test of their promotion mettle. I want us to show them the meaning of promotion contenders and leave them reeling. Ok?"

The lads perk up and start asking questions, mainly about who I thinks going to win the league this season and other speculative questions. I remain optimistic and tell them that it's between about 3 teams, us included. This seems to sate their desire for knowledge at this juncture and hopefull they begin to concentrate on preparing mentally for the game.

I get to the changing room a few minutes after the lads, I got stopped by a match official informing me that he hopes both sides will be well behaved. I walk in to find the lads scrawling tactics and moves they've been practising on the training pitch. After the situation on the bus I'm feeling more optimistic about the guys chances of doing their stuff today. "Right lads, I'm happy to see you're enthusiastic and full of your own ideas but we'll be sticking with the usual formation, you know the saying, if it ain't broke..." They all laugh and say that they were thinking out loud. Marques deputises for the absent Kelly and Demouge replaces the out of favour Healy. I'm worried about the Irishman, he hasn't looked his usual sharp self recently.

Starting Line Up:

Sullivan, Harding, Kilgallon, Marques, Hooiveld, Lewis, Derry, Blake, Einarsson, Demouge and Cresswell

Kick Off:

We start on the back foot in the first minute when suddenly a long clearance from Einarsson puts Cresswell in the clear, the crowd hold their breath and I will him to hit the ball, but he keeps going and gets closer before firing it straight at the keeper who does well to close him down quickly. This is a signal of intent and I like it. Both sides seem intent to keep it in midfield and nothing much happens, Lewis tries to get past Maybury who blocks him and the ball, Lewis regains control and comes back before firing in a left footed cross that goes diagonally across the box and seemingly misses everyone, wait the players are celebrating, Hooivelds scored a diving header at the far post. I give Sam a high five and give the thumbs up to the players, what a start. We get our second in the 38th minute, Cresswell receives the ball up the pitch in a seemingly hopeless position and feeds it to Demouge who plays it to Lewis, Lewis feeds it forward to Demouge who's in the clear and takes it menacingly towards the keeper before driving it past him for our second, fantastic.

The half time team talk consists of a keep it up and don't get sloppy, they have the quality to get back in it.

Leicester start of brightly and Sullivan keeps us in it with a series of brilliant close range stops, I'm getting slightly worried as they're finding gaps in our defence again and again. I'm worried that is, until Cresswell tries to run onto another long range clearance, Rab Douglas gets to it first and clears it, fortunately to Lewis who fires it forward to Demouge, he turns one man, runs forward past another whos trying to get in front of him, before jinking inside and holding off two more and releasing the ball past the keeper. Simply superb, we should be playing in Europe not the Championship. The games put beyond doubt 5 minutes later in the 58th minute when some clever play between Derry and Demouge results in the ball being driven into the area, the shocking Leicester defence doesn't cope with it and Blake diverts it inside the far post for our 4th, I jump up and race to the touchline and shout my praise, we're 4-0 up away in front of a packed Walkers stadium and I'm delighted. The match peters out after that and Leicester lack the will to fight on, our fans cheer and sing their hearts out as the home fans depart early. It's going to be a brilliant atmosphere on the coach back home. In the end we could have got another 4 were it not for the heroics of their keeper, I turn and applaud the fans who came down with us, I hear the chant "Marshing on together" echo around the emptying ground, some of the fans are clapping and lauging, I just feel like I'm going beetroot red.

Final Score (Leicester City 0-4 Leeds United)

My Man Of The Match: Very difficult, the whole team deserved it but Demouge's outstanding individual efforts just earn him the honour in my book. He was simply brilliant.

Other results have gone against us but we're 7 points clear, the lads and I cheer on the coach home when the league standings are read out on the radio. "Well done Leeds, you've really done the fans proud tonight, get home and get an early night. You've played outstandingly well tonight and I want you fit for the next game."

A 4-0 thumping of Leicester on my 9th game in charge, if only the season would end now.

Tuesday 12th September Evening (Sky Sports News Update)

I scan the scrolling news headlines for news of our victory against the Foxes, I find I'm not dissapointed.

Leeds get Dutch courage as Demouge Double Demolishes Dire Leicester scrolls across the screen, oo alliteration, I like it.

I'm just about to turn the TV off after giving up hope of a more in depth description when I hear, "And now we go over to our reporter who's live outside the Walkers Stadium getting the reaction of some of the home fans still outside the stadium."

"We were terrible, couldnt defend to save our lives." Offers one disgruntled fan.

"What a ****** waste of money, I should have stayed at home." Moans another one, "I think relegations more likely than promotion at this point in time."

It's getting late and as much as I'd like to revel in the Leicester fans misery I can't, I've got to be at the training ground early tomorrow and I can't be late, especially if the fans would like some more results like that.

Wednesday 13th September (Thorpe Arch Training Facility)

In an attempt to stop our guys looking so dodgy in defence I've decided to dedicate more time to Defending in training in the next few weeks. We can't always count on our strikers to score and if that's the case then I want to keep it nil nil, I'd rather have 1 point than nothing. I meet up with Sam in the car park as soon as I arrive and get the lowdown on the lads after yesterday. He tells me the lads are still on cloud nine after the Leicester game and will hopefully be responsive to what ever I tell them. Only one way to find out.

I go out onto the training pitch and see the lads are doing suicides, glad I don't hae to do them anymore.

"Gather round guys, I've got something we need to work on.....will you hurry up Danny?." I take a final look around to make sure there are no stragglers. "I feel that we've been conceding too much recently, we've let teams get back into a game needlessly and it's time for it to stop. You defenders are more than capable of sticking in a meaningful tackle or marking a player out of the game, so do it." I notice that the lads are looking slightly annoyed, they're nodding their heads in agreement but they're annoyed, perhaps it's the fact that they know I'm right.

"Yeah, well maybe you should change the tactics then boss" It's young Kilgallon, he sees my look of genuine surprise and looks down sheepishly. He obviously had more to say but my look cut him short. Hmm decision time, do I listen to my 21 year old full back and open the flood gates to everyone else offering advice, worse I may even lose their confidence altogether, or do I get him to tell me what he thinks so we can work with it?

"Go ahead Matt, tell us what you think, we're a team, speak your mind"

"Well boss, you've told us to mark em out of the game and make hard tackles but you've always told us to not fully commit to tackles in case we get taken out of position, and the marking, you told us to mark in zones instead of tight man marking. If you want us to break legs and shadow players you could have told us in the changing room, we're only carrying out your orders."

God he's probably right, all I had to do was tell them before the game, not have a go at them the day afterwards when they were just doing as they're told. I tell Matt I'm glad for his input and he apologises for shouting out of turn, the team seem happy with the way things just worked out and I leave Sam to get them off to their training exercises. I have to go meet with someone, I get into the banger and she starts first time, "Good Girl", I say with a determined grin on my face as I get her in gear and wheelspin out of the car park.

Wednesday 13th September Afternoon (Museum Gardens, York)

I'd been nervous when Wolves came to Elland Road, I'd been slightly worse when Norwich visited, but nothing quite compares to the nervous sick feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when meeting the girl of your dreams who, incidentally I haven't seen in 6 weeks. She'd been away on holiday with her rich parents, they insisted she come with them as she apparently needed the break, a break from me more like, they've never approved, not since the drinking competition anyway. By they I mean her mother, her father enjoyed the drinking competition thoroughly and gave me his full blessing to marry his daughter when ever I wanted. I think he'd reconsider it now he's of sound mind.

I'm running slightly late, only by 5 minutes or so but still, late is late. She'll have something to say about that I'm sure, oh well I'll just have to tell her the truth. Oh god there she is, she's sat on a bench in front of the museum sunning herself, I casually walk over to the other side of bench and move closer to her, "Excuse me, is this seat taken?" She doesn't even look up, "Yes it is, I'm waiting for my boyfriend who's late as usual." I stand and wait, she'll look up wondering why I'm not sitting down and then she'll smile in loving recognition when she realises it's me, well thats the theory anyway.

"You lazy b*****d, I can't believe you're late, we haven't seen each other in 6 weeks and you're late. I suppose you've got some brilliant excuse have you?" She did look up after all, it wasn't quite the reaction I was looking for, but it was still a reaction none the less. At least she smiled when she was reprimanding me, like an owner whose cute puppy had taken a whiz on a carpet. I can handle cute puppy angry.

We're walking down Coney Street on the way back to the car and I decide to say something."Look honey, I'm really sorry I'm late, It really wasn't my fault. I got kept talking by the lads at the training ground, the meeting ran over by a few minutes and the traffic was terrible." Emma's looking at me like I'm naked and painted orange, you know the look. "Oh ****" I think to myself, she doesn't know whats been happening. She'll think I've finally lost it this time.

"Oh my god Chris, is that the best excuse you could come up with, thats worse than bad, it's just sad, why can't you just admit you were late?"

"But Emma I'm telling you the truth, haven't you noticed that people keep staring at me everywhere we go. It's because I'm the new manager of Leeds United."

"I've noticed people staring all right, probably because you've done something stupid while drunk again, quit with this Leeds thing now anyway, its getting tired, why would a football team, any football team for that matter, employ you as manager?" I'm about to reply when a group of lads running up to us, Emma looks worried and I have to say I'm not too happy either, the air of danger subsides quickly.

"Hey mate, you're like Chris Marsh aren't ya. Oh my god, I knew it was you. That was a mint result last night man, we proper stuffed the Leicester scum, that Frank Demouge is fully mint. Keep it up yeah?" Another lad steps forward and offers his own unique brand of congratulations. Yeah man, I reckon we're fully gonna get promotion this season, then we'll be gettin back to beating the Chelski scum and the Manc b******s will have someone to fear again." I shake the lads hands, probably unwise of me but still, I tell them that I value their support but there's no need to cause trouble, we need our supporters to be well behaved. They laugh and seemingly agree and then leave us to it. I look at Emma with a triumphant grin on my face.

"Oh get a grip Chris, those chavs were quite obviously high on something. I refuse to play along with your sad excuse of a joke."

"How did they know who I was then, huh explain that one eh?"She remains silent and I decide not to pursue my lost cause, I'll make her believe me later. We get to the Castle car park and manage to find my car sitting in the silent cold shadow of Cliffords Tower. We get in and pull out of the car park, bloody traffic again. "Oh yeah this is the car of a football manager I can tell a mile off. It's soo luxurious." She can have a dig all she wants, I'll drag her out infront of the Elland Road faithful and get them to chant her name, then she'll have trouble arguing. Hmm who am I kidding, I smile to myself as we finally get into moving traffic and head up Tadcaster road and out of York.

Saturday 17th September (Elland Road, Leeds United V Brighton & Hove Albion, Championship)

It's been a quiet week I've spent it mostly with Emma having a nice quiet time of it, well for the most part anyway. It's the day after my 30th birthday and I'm feeling fine, I've always been blessed with never having had a hangover ever. I just pay for it with my drunken antics usually, but now I'm a manager I've got to be responsible. Emma kept asking if anything was up, the concern soon turned to slight annoyance when I told her I had to be ready for the visit of Brighton tomorrow and that we could go 9 points clear or even 10 if results went our way. She also got annoyed when I said that the fans would be keen to meet her.

We park up in the car park and I take Emma in through reception, Rose is waiting for us like I'd asked a few days previously. I ask her to take good care of her and to make sure her every whim is catered for. Rose gives a knowing smile and leads Emma off, Emma gives a slight look of consternation my way before allowing herself to be led off to the players wives section of the stand.

Meanwhile I step into the changing room, I notice the lads are all smiles and I wonder what's going on. They slap me on the back and ask if I'm ok, hoping I have a hangover.

"Sorry to disappoint you lads, but I feel as fresh as a daisy. Thank you for your concern anyway, but I'd rather you concern yourself with todays match. As you know, we're playing lowly Brighton who have been labelled the leagues whipping boys. I dont care about rumour and speculation, they are a championship team and as such we will treat them with the respect they deserve. I care about winning the match and anything else comes second. I want a comfortable win here lads, no mistakes and no excuses."

I name the same line up and formation that trounced the Foxes last tuesday.

Starting Line Up:

Kick Off:

We give away a free kick right on the edge of the area in the first minute, it looks destined for the net but Sullivan brilliantly gets down to it and palms it wide, 5 minutes later Cresswell thunders a header at goal, Elland Road erupts and I jump up, but it's gone slightly over. For the next 10 minutes both teams seem content to feel each other out and look for a chink in their respective armour, I'm getting twitchy, we can't afford to draw against lowly teams like Brighton, sod my team talk. My prayers are answered when we suddenly get into gear and start to take the game to Brighton, Cresswell is winning all of his headers and threatening the goal, unfortunately he's yet to hit the target. Derry has a fantastic shot saved by Chaigneau the young keeper on loan from Rennes, 5 minutes later Einarsson puts us in front. Lewis passes a short ball to Gylfi who takes it and dummys a defender before taking it wide of two more before firing an unstoppable shot, the keepers gets his hands to it but he's not strong enough to keep it out. The crowd are ecstatic, the lads run to the touchline and slide on their knees in front of me, they all lift their shirts and its a message. "Happy 30th birthday to Marshy, love the lads." The crowd chant the now familiar "Marshing On Together" and I struggle to hid my blushes. The rest of half draws to a disappointing close and the lads look content to see out the half in comfort. I turn and wave to the crowd and get a good cheer and a clap from them, we're in front and they're enjoying it. I laugh to myself as I the look of complete and utter shock on Emma's face when she saw me standing in front of the dug out and then the reaction I get from the fans and players when we scored, I give her a wink and she blows a kiss back.

"Right lads, that was good, they never got into it, I don't have much to say other than keep it up and don't let your minds wander ok?"

For the next 45 minutes we hammer the Brighton goal, their keepers performing heroics all over his box, keeping out anything we throw at him. The crowd are singing their heads off and sounding their appreciation at our play, they're a good lot, they're even applauding their keeper when he makes a good save, Chaigneau is unstoppable today. In Brightons occasional missions into our half they manage to get a few shots away but all are comfortably dealt with by Sullivan who's looked solid today. I hear the attendance read out on the tannoy 5 minutes in "Todays attendance at Elland Road is 24,229, We'd also like you to give a warm reception to a Miss Emma Mayer who's sitting in the players wives section.." The crowd give a huge roar and wolf whistles erupt from different sections of the stands. I look back to see Emma hiding behind her match programme, the players wives around her are hugging her and laughing to each other. I turn back just in time to see Chaigneau perform yet another quality save. I decide to bring on Rothery, Lettinga and Healy for the last 20 minutes. Their addition provides more spark going forward, but still their keeper won't let another in and keeps it up till the end of the match. Chaigneau is deservedly the recipient of todays man of the match award, he was outstanding.

"Well done lads, we got the win, now lets go find out how everyone else did in the league today." We go off, heads held high and clapping the crowd.

Final Score (Leeds United 1-0 Brighton & Hove Albion)

My Man Of The Match: Tough this match, none of the team played exceptionally well even though we did win. I'd go for Eddie Lewis today I think, he never stopped running and tackling and fed some brilliant crosses in, which, on any other day would have been converted by our strikers.

The changing room erupts into cheering and back slapping, we're 9 points clear and we have relegation candidates Sheffield Wednesday next in the league. Confidence is high. Suddenly an explosion of wolf whistles fills the room, Rose and Emma have walked in, I signal to the lads to shut up and show some gentleman like behaviour. I introduce all the players to her one by one, they all seem rather taken by her and tell me so when they both leave the room. "Hey boss, you sly dog, where you been hiding her then.", I laugh and shake my head. "I haven't been hiding her anywhere Matthew, she's been on holiday.", a series of "yeah what ever's" followed by sniggering comes from some of the lads who shall remain nameless. I meet Emma outside with the car waiting for me, she's having a good old chat to Rose. I inform them that it's time to go home, it's been a tiring day.

On the way home Emma turns to me "You were brilliant today, the crowd loved you and the players celebration when they scored was touching, they must really think highly of you.". I hope so, I really hope so I think to myself. I smile and nod, she turns and smiles as she stares out of window. I wonder what she's thinking, maybe she's planning a belated birthday suprise.

Really well written, with just the right amount of detail in there and the humour never goes a miss. I'm not a leeds fan, I support, holds head in shame, Southampton. But great story and keep it going. Maybe and the league table at end of each month if poss. But keep going fella, and goo luck with your promotion campaign.

Sunday 18th September 9:00 Morning (Home and the Conspiracy)

"Stay in bed baby, it's a Sunday, you can't go to work on a Sunday. It's against the law, I'll get you arrested. C'mon stay just another hour"She has the dirtiest smile on her face and I'm pretty sure I can guess what she means, hmm I should have become a manager a long time ago methinks.

"As much as I'd like to stay and indulge in your kinky fantasies babe, I can't. I have a meeting with Ken and he's not the type to be kept waiting honey." I stoop down kiss her on her head and she groans and dissapears under the covers,"I'll make it up to you later honey, I promise." "I wonder what this meetings about" I think to myself as I walk out of the bedroom. I get downstairs and just as I'm about to go out of the back door I notice the wine glasses and bottle of wine have been left lying around from last night, I hate messiness and I feel compelled to tidy the kitchen before I go, Emma probably would have done it but I was there. I'm fussy like that.

It's a quiet drive across to Leeds, not much traffic to speak of which will make my old banger happy, she tends to get excited and overheat in traffic. It's a dreary day though, very overcast, I hope it's not an omen of things to come. Spots of rain start to pepper the windscreen and It's not long before the heavens open and a full downpour occurs. Great, just what I need, a Sunday meeting with Ken and it's p*****n it down, he'll probably be in a lovely mood anyway, I'm sure anyone would prefer Leeds to Monaco. I switch to Radio 5 Live and see if there's any action today. I'm pleasantly surprised, it's the phone in and I happen to catch a Leeds fan. "Hello, is that Roger from Leeds, you're live on Radio 5 Live. What would you like to get off your chest?" I hope it's something positive, I've not heard anything about us on Radio recently. "Hi Mark, yeah I'd just like to say a few things, firstly Ken Bates should be bloody patted on the back for getting in this Chris Marsh, god knows where he found him but he's just what we needed. He's bringing the excitement back into Elland Road. His tactics are positive and we're going out to win the game instead of looking for the odd chance. I honestly thought that we'd be in mid-table by now with Blackwell but this guys fantastic, he's motivated the team and we're looking good for the Championship this year. I have to say I'm not the only fan with this point of view, you only have to look at the Leicester match to see this guy means business. Secondly I'd like to thank the man himself, if he's listening I'd like to say a job well done so far mate, the fans are behind you and we can only guess at the pressure he's under in his first managerial post. Keep it up mate.", the presenter sounds almost as surprised by that as I am "And there you go folks, praise indeed for the new man at Leeds United, long may his reign continue...and now..." bloody hell I can't believe what I've just heard, that's a fantastic response. I didn't know I was such a hit already. It almost makes the Sunday drive in the rain worthwhile.

I pull in to the car park with a huge grin on my face, I prepare myself for the 5 second sprint to the entrance and hope I don't slip or do something equally embarassing, suddenly as I'm imagining the worst case scenario there's a tap on the window, it's Rose. She's come out meet me with an Umbrella, hell what would I do without her? She's been great recently."Ken's ready and waiting with the board, they say for you to come up. As soon as you feel like it that is." She adds with a knowing grin. Bugger I must be late, god knows what they all think of me now.

I run up to the board room and almost trip and fall headfirst into the doors, god get a grip Chris, try and conduct yourself with at least a modicum of decorum for gods sake. Right, pause for a second and breathe, don't make it look like you've just pelted up the stairs and almost killed yourself. I straighten my tie and walk in, I almost have a heart attack as Champagne bottles fire their cork passengers out across the room and the board shout "Happy birthday." at me. I'm stunned, I wonder if this happens to Mourinho and Fergie. On second thoughts I don't care. I smile and walk over to Ken who's sat in his chair grinning and clapping, he's obviously pverjoyed at his duplicity.

"Brilliant, brilliant" he claps, "Your face was a picture, you almost went white. I'm almost sorry but not quite, we all found out it was your birthday on Friday and decided that we couldn't just let it go by, it's a milestone is 30, so we had to do something." He stands up and shakes my hand vigorously, I'm slightly bewildered by it all but pleased all the same, suddenly my phone burbles, it's a text. "Gotcha!!!!! icon_smile.gif xxx" It's a conspiracy, they were all in on it. Ooo she's in trouble when I get home.

I sip Champagne and talk with the board about the season so far. I ask them how well they think things are going but they all turn the question back on me, I'm the manager so my view counts most. I tell them I'm quietly confident, they crack open another bottle and raise a glass. "To Chris" they say, "To Leeds" I venture, a rousing cheer of "Here here" goes up from the board and Ken gives a wink. He motions me to one side and hands me some keys. "These are your room keys, I've arranged for you and the lovely Emma to stay in De Vere Oulton Hall, it's 5 star, very nice indeed. I've arranged for her to be picked up so don't worry you won't have to drive today or tomorrow. Enjoy!". I shake Kens hand again and thank him for his immense generosity. He slaps me on the back and goes back to savour the Champagne.

Next Stop De Vere Oulton Hall

Monday 19th September Evening (De Vere Oulton Hall)

Me and Emma have spent a lovely day and night in De Vere Oulton Hall and agree that it was a lovely gesture by Ken. She says that she'd always heard that Ken was a scary bloke but now has been forced to re-evaluate her opinion on him.

"It's been lovely here Chris, I've never been to a place as luxurious as this in my life, not even with my parents. I hope we get to do it again soon babe, we don't spend enough time alone together." I turn to her and go and sit on the bed next to her. "It has been wonderful hasn't it?, It seems like I've been living in a dream, I mean can things get any better?".

There's a short sharp knock at the door, we both look at each other and wonder who it could be, we didn't order room service. I open the door and peer out. "Hello Mr Marsh, sorry to disturb you. There's someone downstairs at reception to see you, or rather there's some people downstairs to see you. Oh and your table is ready for you.". I thank the concierge and send him on his way. Hmm table?, I wonder who's here to see me and what table, we didn't arrange for a meal. Emma's heard the whole thing and has the same look of puzzlement as I do.

I go to have a look out of the window, see if there's any clues in the car park. "Bloody hell, you've got to be joking.", Emma looks up and comes over to find out what I'm looking at. "What is it honey, has it started raining again?". She's completely on the wrong track, I looked out and saw a car park full of luxury cars. Jeep's, BMW's, Merc's and immediately recognised one of the number plates B4TE5. I point it out to Emma who flops on the bed in exhasperation. "The whole bloody squad's come for dinner babe. The whole bloody squad." We get changed quickly and rush downstairs to go meet them. All the lads are there, Killa and Kells are both looking pretty dapper and the rest of the lads have scrubbed up nicely too. A credit to the team I think and then think to myself snap out of it, its not about football tonight. I go round the lads one by one and thank them for coming and share my surprise and joy at having them here tonight.

Ken comes over "Sorry again Chris, I was thinking last night that I could surprise you further so I decided to get all the lads here to share a birthday meal and drink. It was fairly easy to get them to change their plans, after all I control the contracts..", he says with a grin and a wink, "Don't worry about the money, I'll pay for it. go and enjoy yourselves, you've earnt it lad."

Wednesday 21st September (Elland Road, Leeds United V Huddersfield Town, League Cup 2nd Round)

It's been an amazing week so far and I'm hoping that everyone has recovered nicely from Monday nights celebration. We have a visit from close neighbours Huddersfield today in the noddy, sorry I mean League Cup. I'm not too bothered about trying to win it or get far, there will be teams far better than us in the final and I'd rather not risk any of my squad getting unnecessarily taken out of action. I had a few words about it to the lads on Monday night, we all agreed that although it would be nice to have a cup run, the league has to be the priority.

Starting Line Up:

Bennett, Harding, Kilgallon, Marques, Hooiveld, Lewis, Derry, Lettinga, Berkleef, Healy and Cresswell

Kick Off:

The game starts off at a slow pace, both teams seem unwilling to risk giving away posession needlessly in an attempt to score. New lad Berkleef gets a chance to show us what he's made of but fires his shot miles over the bar. The crowd laugh at his pathetic attempt and clap the lad, I curse his pathetic attempt and sit back down on the bench. At least we're creating scoring chances, but not enough, not enough. Cresswell gets the ball in the area, turns his man and fires the ball into the far corner, the keeper having no chance. Well now I can breathe a little easier, we're looking comfortable and Huddersfield don't look a threat. We don't create and further meaningful chances for the rest of the half, the one chance being ruled offside. We go into the break the happier side.

"Listen up you lot, I want one more goal just to put this tie beyond them. We're looking comfortable but they are capable of coming back. go and finish them off." The lads go out wanting blood and hungry for another goal. We get off to a flyer, we're getting into their area time and again. Just like in the Brighton match though, their keeper is keeping Huddersfield in it. Young Berkleef is looking good and is stringing some good passes together. We get a free kick on the left flank just outside the area, Lettinga fires it in and Cresswell fires it through the keepers legs, I jump up in celebration, the crowd are on their feet but its cleared off the line by Carss, an other near miss. We finally kill the game in the 76th minute, after some good link up play between Derry and Berkleef, the balls chipped forward to Healy who nods it to Rothery who's introduced in exchange for Lewis, who has no hesitation in thundering the ball in the far corner. The lad's got what he deserved, he's worked hard since he came on. The rest of the half ticks down and the game is more or less dead in the water, we're still getting forward but we're not showing any passion for the game. I'm going to have to have words about that when we're done. The final whistle blows and the small crowd of 18067 who decided to show up cheer their appreciation.

Final Score (Leeds United 2-0 Huddersfield Town)

My Man Of The Match: Again we we're fairly average and again I choose Eddie Lewis for my man of the match, he was brilliant for the 63 minutes he was on the pitch. The guy never stops running and 90% of his passes reached their target.

On the drive home I listen to the Radio, see if there's been any major upsets. I'm passing lone cars on the A64 when I'm surprised to hear league one team Bristol City have knocked out Tottenham and erratic Wolves have beaten Man City. Well that's a few big teams out of the way, maybe we will go far in the competition after all.

Thursday 22nd September (Home Tie Handed In 3rd Round)

I'm sat in the office reading through the accounts when Rose slaps the News Of The World under my nose. It turns out we've been handed a home tie against league strugglers Millwall and I quite fancy our chances.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Leeds Get The Easy Way Through

News Of The World, Thursday 22nd September

Championship table toppers Leeds United have been handed a home tie against surprise league strugglers Millwall. Millwall who have lost their past two league games will be up against it when they come to home of form team Leeds. Lions Manager Colin Lee is reportedly delighted to get a chance of an easier way through to the next round and hopes that his team continue to avoid Premiership opposition on their quest for cup glory.

Leeds United however will be high on confidence after winning their last 7 games. Leeds fans have reportedly been bombarding phone ins and message boards with praise and congratulations for the new boy Chris Marsh who has played no small part in the Leeds revival. A spokesperson for Leeds fans have said they hope that the club progress through to the next round with ease, but also re-iterate that the league is still the clubs priority. This reporter however wonders if this underlines a lack of ambition over at Elland Road, only time will tell.

Kick off is at 19:45 on Wednesday 26th October at Elland Road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lack of bloody ambition, how can they possibly say that when we're trying to get into the Premiership? Other teams are content just to survive, how can wanting a place in the best league in the world be unambitious? This countries bloody media needs a kick up the backside. With articles like that no wonder they're getting a bad reputation. Maybe they should take the time out to interview me in future, I might actually give them something worth writing about.

Saturday 24th September (Elland Road, Leeds United V Sheffield Wednesday, Championship)

The Sky cameras are in tonight and I want to give the viewing public a slice of the exciting things going on at Leeds. We're entertaining relegation candidates Sheffield Wednesday and I have every confidence that the players will produce the goods. I spoke to a few of the lads about the prospect of being on TV for only the 3rd time so far this season, a couple have admitted they feel slightly apprehensive knowing they're on TV but assure me that it won't affect their game. I hope they're right, I have to admit we struggled to beat lowly Brighton and lord knows we need to pick up points against the lower teams. "Are you OK Chris?", Rose is standing in the doorway staring at me, I was miles away. "Yes Rose, quite alright, are the lads ready?", she nods the affirmative and turns and goes to attend to her many duties.

I swing open the dressing room doors and walk in, the lads are in a buoyant mood and seem pretty optimistic about their chances on the pitch tonight. Apparently a few have placed a wager on how many we'll get tonight, I'm not so sure, OK they've lost 7 Championship games this season already but they've also drawn a couple and their season has to turn sometime.

I've replaced Marques with the reliable Kelly, I decide to rest Blake and Lewis and decide to blood Lettinga and Berkleef, Demouge also reclaims his place ahead of David Healy.

Starting Line Up:

Bennett, Harding, Kilgallon, Kelly, Hooiveld, Einarsson, Derry, Lettinga, Berkleef, Demouge and Cresswell

Kick Off:

It's as I predicted, Sheffield are another 11 men behind the ball team and every time we go forward there's no space and the Wednesday half is swamped. We manage a couple of shots but all are widely off target, Sheffield are trying to limit us to long shots and they're sticking to their game plan. We hit the half hour mark and so far our defenders have made two or three serious mistakes that they've either managed to rectify or Bennetts saved them. Sheffield are looking the best team going forward, especially as most of our midfield gets bypassed when they move the ball forward. The crowd bless em are singing their hearts out in an attempt to spur the lads into some kind of action, but it's all in vain. Both teams go in at half time on equal footing, but I know who'll be the happier side. Paul Sturrock will be telling them they can go out and win it in the second half and from what I've seen of this bloody half he's right to be positive.

"What the hell's going on out there lads, we look second best and that might be good enough for you but it certainly isn't for me or the fans. Alright they may have 11 behind the ball but for gods sake, you have enough talent to break them down, go out there and bloody annihilate them."

We do look slightly better but it doesn't detract from the tedium of watching Wednesday play 11 men behind the ball. We do manage to break through them a few times but it all comes to nothing, the strikers just aren't performing today. Wednesday are equally dire up front, they get a few rare breaks forward but their strikers fire straight at the keeper, lucky really because if this was anyone else we'd be about 3 down by now. I decide enough's enough and bring on Blake and Lewis, the crowd let out a huge roar when they hear the players names mentioned. I hope they're the catalyst for a Leeds goal, we need a win to extend our grip at the top. I'm to be dissapointed in the 67th minute when Einarsson rises above everyone and thunders a header at the top corner, there's silence, the keeper seemingly floats through the air in slow motion, his finger tips are enough to push the ball over the bar. The crowds reaction is brilliant, they burst out into song with renewed vigour, they reckon we can win, I'm starting to believe we can win too. "Get into em lads, make the tackles." I scream at them from the touchline, they need all the encouragment they can get. However its all to no avail, the score ends a very dissapointing 0-0 and I am extremely angry at the side for dropping points and that we didn't shine in front of the cameras.

Paul Sturrock comes and shakes my hand."Good game mate, thought you was gonna get it at the end there". I nod my head in acknowledgment and smile before walking off down the tunnel to give the lads a rollocking.

Final Score: (Leeds United 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday)

My Man Of The Match: You're having a laugh, I was the man of the match for not punching the players lights out. It really comes to something when not one of your players plays well.

"For f***s sake lads, what did I tell you, I told you we HAVE to pick up points against teams like these. I have to say another performance that dire and I'll be making massive changes, you here me? I will NOT put up with displays like that, you lads who put the wager on should bloody give that money to the fans, they were the ones who were bloody cheated today. You let me down, you let the fans down and worst of all you let yourselves down. I'm drawing a line under this, this was a blip, if it EVER happens again I wont be as forgiving."

I storm off out of the dressing room white with rage, I get outside and I manage to sign a few autographs without snapping the pens. I thank the fans for their support tonight and promise them it will be better next time, the fans just say they're glad we drew as last season we were likely to lose these sorts of games. Well thats something I suppose. I open the car door and slump into the old banger, I feel about 50 tonight, I got way too stressed. "At least you never let me down." I say to the car, I turn the key and the engine coughs and splutters and then nothing.

Brilliant!

Sunday 24th September (It's only an article)

By the time I get to mid afternoon I'm well and truly exasperated. I've been reading through the tabloids and I can't believe the crap they're writing about us. It seems they are quick to jump on any mistake or apparent blip in an attempt to make a good story, I could write or call their bosses and complain but I'm sure they'd love to write a lovely little article about the outraged Leeds boss who screamed obsceneties down the phone. Hmm, I'll keep my cool and I'll get my own back on my own terms.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lazy Leeds Lack Fighting Spirit

The Daily Mirror, Sunday 24th September

Leeds United failed yesterday to cement their position at the top of the Championship after a surprising 0-0 draw with league strugglers Sheffield Wednesday. Leeds failed to capitalise on the greater amount of posession they enjoyed for long spells of the game. They looked slow going forward and lacked energy and passion, after their cup tie against Huddersfield they may have thought they were in for an easy ride.

Some people however are saying that perhaps Leeds small squad is starting to struggle with the number of games being played in a short period of time or perhaps it is a sign that Leeds are starting to get complacent. This point is coming up time and again as people are now saying that maybe the Brighton game was the first sign that Leeds are getting sloppy and think they're just going to walk away with 3 points.

Some credit must go to Sheffield though as their team did manage to out-perform their hosts in almost every department, although after witnessing the quality of the game that's not a surprising statement. Sheffield may have even thought they could go on to snatch a surprise win but it wasn't to be as their strikers failed to make use of the chances they had.

Fans of United are staying positive and are assuring us that this is just a momentary blip in form and will be back to winning ways soon enough. This reporter however remains skeptical.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the point that we're playing a lot of games, but I do not agree that we were lazy, we fought for the ball again and again, we lacked creativity and finishing, but we weren't bloody lazy. I hope the press turn up to the next match because I'm going to give them something positive to write about, I'm not having my team slated in the media for drawing in a football match, if we do something worthy of attention then I want it to be a positive.

I look forward to proving the media wrong. I hope to have an interview very soon, I want to have my say.

Tuesday 26th September (Board Appraisal)

I'm whistling as I stroll down the corridor, nothing could bother me today. I'm in one of those moods where you wake up and you're just inexplicably happy and nothing can change it. I stop and stare at a photo of the lads of 91/92 posing with old first division trophy and their beaming smiles.

I want that again, the club needs us to win something to remind us what its like, we havent won a major trophy or divisional title since the days of the lads in the photo. In my own personal opinion I feel it really says something about the club, they probably weren't the best team we've had since then, I remember the times when we had world class players, that is to say world class players who just lacked some vital ingredients I feel. Teamwork and loyalty, they stumbled when they should have held together and their loyalty to O'Leary was obviously tested, but it would have been in the interests of the club to work through it, maybe then we would still be in the Premiership. Thats my opinion anyway, but now I am in a unique position as a fan, I do actually have the chance to shape the future of this club, my club.

I'm just turning the keys in the office door when Rose taps me on the shoulder. "Good morning Chris, I have a message for you from Ken, he says it's urgent.". She hands me a hand written note, "Ok, thanks Rose, I'll get onto it right away. Keep up the good work." I wink at her before she turns and heads of down the corridor, she laughs and says she will do. I unfurl the note and am surprised to find it's a meeting to discuss my performance so far, has a quarter of the season gone already, god that was quick.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Quarterly Performance Review

Monday 26th September

Dear Chris,

As you know, we've played 12 games now which is over a quarter of the 46 in total and the board would like for you to attend a performance review, don't worry it's not specifically about you, it's about the players, staff, finances etc as well. Please be prompt as we want to be out of there as soon as possible. Personally these reviews bore me.

Regards,

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Monday 26th September, Afternoon (Facts and Figures)

"How do you think Leeds as a club are faring at this point in time Mr Marsh, do you have any particular concerns?", there's a few seconds of silence followed by a cough. I suddenly focus on the person who asked the question, I'd been miles away, dreaming about the time when world class players come back to Elland Road. "Oh,erm..yes. I think we're doing okay at the moment...", I get cut off "Just okay Mr Marsh?".

I straighten my tie and sit up, I must look like a uni student in a 3 hour lecture. "Yes, just okay, I would have said brilliant were it not for the fact that we looked like we struggled to find a win against Brighton and the level of our performance against another bad team, Sheffield Wednesday. I would say that it was perhaps complacency on behalf of a few of the lads, but I think that had we won those games comfortably, then I would be stood here saying absolutely fantastic." A few of the board members are looking around, others are writing down notes, they all seem to agree with what I've said, although they look surprised that I said it. "Sorry for my bluntness, but I don't see the point in sugar coating my views. If I think we aren't doing as well as we should then I'll say so, I think honesty is all important if I'm to be a success here. Also, if I'm sticking with my honesty policy, I'll just say that I do have a few concerns at the moment. The wage bill is massive and it's currently taken up by players that, and I'm being brutally honest here, are not likely to ever feature in my first team plans. I've written a list of players who we need to get rid and who we've sold, also the money we'd save from not having their contracts and money we're already saving since the transfers I've sold." again the board look surprised but glad to see I'm looking after the club too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Contract savings

Below are the players listed in order of wage cost in total.

Name Wage P/W Overall Cost

Crainey £3,200 £329,600

Richardson £2,300 £358,800

Butler £4,000 £412,000

Moore £5,000 £515,000

Stone £5,000 £515,000

Gregan £6,000 £618,000

Wright £6,000 £618,000

Ricketts £10,000 £1,030,000

Bakke £24,000 £1,200,000

Total £5,596,400

We have already sold Crainey, Richardson and Wright for a combined £1,545,000 and gained a saving of £1,306,400. If we can offload the other 6 players who I deem surplus to requirements then the club stands to make a significant saving. You can get the accounts department to check the figures but I think I'm right.

Regards,

Chris

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I give the a copy of the note to every member of the board, "This is the shorter version, if you want the more in depth version don't hesitate to ask me. It makes for a very interesting read." The board are all staring at the papers, hungrily scanning for the major savings. I hear several gasps from a few members, the note's having the effect I desired. Suddenly I get the feeling that someones staring at me, I turn to see Ken staring and mouthing "Bravo, bravo." at me, he's silently clapping and he's smiling, so I guess he's pleased with me.

Another minor victory to Chris Marsh of Leeds United

Tuesday 27th September (Alexandra Stadium, Crewe Alexandra V Leeds United)

After yesterdays meeting with the board I'm hoping we can get back to winning ways, a couple of members expressed their concern at the performance against Sheffield. I told them all that is was a minor blip and that we'd be back to taking maximum points soon, I just hope that we do.

In the dressing room I get all the players together, I need them all playing for each other today and not for themselves. "Right, we slipped up on Saturday, we have the chance to make up for it today. I have to say that I had to defend all of you to the board, but don't worry I put their minds at ease and told them that you'd do the business here for us today. Any questions?", the lads look around at each other looking to see if any of their number are going to risk a question. It stays silent, the lads know what I'm asking of them and if they don't deliver today against another relegation team. "Here's the team for today, right I'll see you out there."

I'd decided to bring in some regulars after the dire performance on Saturday, Lewis and Blake are recalled for the poor Berkleef and Lettinga. Young loanee Douglas comes in to replace Einarsson on the right.

Starting Line Up:

Bennett, Harding, Kilgallon, Kelly, Hooiveld, Blake, Derry, Lewis, Douglas, Demouge and Cresswell

Kick Off:

I can't believe it, after only 37 seconds we're 1-0 up. Harding plays a one-two with Lewis before firing in a cross that finds Douglas running in from outside the area, he beats his marker and headers from about 20 yards out somehow beating the Crewe keeper. Fantastic, I run over to the pitch and shout to the lads to keep it tight and keep going. We're looking good for a win, should hopefully keep the critics off our backs. After failing to gain possession we get punished, Bignot has the ball on the left wing and puts in a cross to the far post, I confidently expect our defence to deal with it easily, how wrong could I be, Varney runs in past his two markers and nods the ball in, talk about shoddy marking. I turn to Sam "We're never going to survive in the bloody Premiership if we can't defend wild crosses like that.", Sam nods in agreement and says that we'll improve defensively given time. Time is exactly something we don't have and our poor defence is punished again 10 minutes later. A Lunt free kick finds its way to Vaughan who fires it at the keeper, Bennett saves and deflects it out, the defence just stand there and bloody ball watch while Suhaj is the first to react and fires the ball past the stranded keeper. I am livid, I sprint over to the lads "Sort your bloody selves out will you, that was f***** poor, get it sorted.". The lads are all arguing with each other and a quick look from me silences them. We look a little brighter at the restart and start to get the ball into dangerous areas. After another spell of pressure from Crewe, we get a wild clearance, there's Demouge chasing as if his life depended on it, well his place does because we need goals. He gets to the ball the same time as the keeper, the keeper gets a hand to it and it bounces behind him, Demouge skips past him and makes sure its his name on the score sheet instead of the keepers, he cheekily stops the ball before tapping it in. The crowd are going mental and shouting obsceneties at him, at least we're back in it, lets hope oru dodgy defence can cope. We get our third 3 minutes before half time, Cresswell heads the ball to Demouge who nods the ball on and barges past the last man to put the ball in off the post. I can't help thinking it's going to be easier in the seconds half.

"Well done team, good work on getting back in front. You full backs pull your fingers out, I don't want anymore dodgy goals going in the back of our net."

We start as we mean to go on and set about getting a 4th goal. We have several chances to get more goals but our finishing just isn't up to scratch, we're failing to justify the amount of possession we're having. Crewe get forward a lot more than we do but Bennetts on form and keeping them all out, he plays a blinder and keeps out the 7 shots on target. Our defence is looking strong at last too. We successfully repel any other attacks and turn the tables quickly by launching well played counter-attacks, Cresswell and Demouge linking up well. We finally kill the game off in the 76th minute, a well worked ball into the box finding the head of Derry whose run was timed to perfection before thundering the ball into the top corner. "Brilliant Sam, that's a fantastic goal, Shaun's earnt that, he's been awesome today." Sams too busy getting the subs warmed up to reply, he gives a thumbs up in response. The rest of the half draws to a close and the once fully packed stadium starts to empty as it doesn't look like Crewe are going to get back into it.

I go over and shake Darios hand "Bloody good game tonight mate, your team looked sharp, reckon you'll have no trouble with that bunch of lads. Good luck for the future." Dario Gradi smiles warmly and shakes my hand, he runs off quickly to tell his players it wasn't a bad effort against the league leaders. I can't help feeling he's got a thankless task keeping them in the Championship.

Final Score:(Crewe Alexandra 2-4 Leeds United)

My Man Of The Match: Well unlike Saturday the whole team played fantastically well, but Ian Bennett has to get that award, his outstanding stops kept us in the game and gave us the platform to go out and win the match.

On the coach back to Leeds the lads are in high spirits, "Brilliant lads, you did very well to come back into it like you did. Lesser mens heads would have gone down. It's a testament to the team spirit we have here, you've earnt the 3 points tonight lads, enjoy them."

I keep it to myself that I'm still worried about the defence, we let in two easy goals and it's got to stop. I go and sit down next to Bennett,"Good stops tonight mate, you kept us in it. I'm glad to see you're finding form for us.", Ian smiles and jokes "Pity about the dodgy ones eh chief?, I had a bit of a go at the lads, seemed to do the trick boss." I make a thumbs up sign and smile, can't let the likes of Kells and Killa hear us bagging them. As usual we listen to the radio for other results and it turns out we are now 9 points clear again and looking untouchable. The lads are all laughing and joking about Demouge's goal, I give Cresswell a slight ticking off for making disrespectful comments about their keeper, I turn back to what I was doing and snigger, hmmm yes their keeper was a bit dodgy, but then again so was our defence.

Saturday 1st October (Turf Moor, Burnley V Leeds United, Championship)

After a relatively quiet week so far its's off across the Pennines to Burnley. Burnley are currently languishing in the bottom reaches of the table and I'm fairly confident of getting another good away result here tonight. I tell the lads that in the hope of getting them in the mood for another hard earned win.

I decide to stick with more or less the same team we took to Crewe, the only exception is that Einarsson's been brought in for Blake who's looking a little jaded after the last match. He was a little dissapointed but I told him we need everyone fit and firing on all cylinders.

Starting Line Up:

Bennett, Harding, Kilgallon, Kelly, Hooiveld, Einarsson, Derry, Lewis, Douglas, Demouge and Cresswell

Kick Off:

We're only four minutes into the game and Cresswell fires a fantastic forward pass to Lewis who's all alone up on the left wing. Cresswell is running into the box and meets the Lewis cross, I'm on my feet and the whole bench is about to celebrate when they realise he hit the side netting. Bloody hell that was close, most of the crowd thought that was in. I clap the team and shout some words of encouragement, they probably won't hear it but still. The next 25 minutes consists of both sets of midfield playing keep away and not setting up any meaningful chances for either team. I'm starting to get a little fed up and I shout over to Harding who's near the touchline to get the lads to get forward and mix it up a little. He nods in acknowledgment and jogs off to inform the team. We're finally rewarded 10 minutes from half time when a lovely little forward pass from Harding finds Lewis outside the Burnley area, Lewis fires it in and Derry volleys and the ball is deflected off the legs of Spicer and past the wrong footed goalie. I hear Steve Cotterill shout for his players to tighten it up. The half ends with a whimper.

"That was lovely lads, you barely gave em a sniff. Lets keep it like that and try and kill the game off if we get the opportunity. Eddie, I want some more balls like that put into the box ok."

The second half begins with Burnley throwing men forward in an attempt to find an equaliser. Fortunately the defence is rock solid so far tonight and intercepts every attack and throws it back at them, most of the half carries on in this way and I'm hoping and hoping that we manage to find another goal, mainly to ease my mind. I'm finally rewarded for my patience when after some abysmal Burnley clearances we find the ball on the right wing. Cresswell launches a cross which is missed by the entire Burnley defence, I see a man running in, I'm on my feet again, Its Demouge he's got his head onto it, it's a bloody bullet into the back of the net. He clenches his fist in celebration and the rest of the team pile onto him, What a lovely goal. Burnley are out of it now and hardly ever get forward again until the 4th minute of the 5 minutes of extra time added. They counter attack and their link up play is wonderful, we fail to intercept a pass and Abeyie fires the ball past the onrushing Bennett. I'm furious, I can't believe the ref gave 5 bloody minutes, there were no injuries or major incidents. The whistle finally goes and I storm off down the tunnel.

Final Score:(Burnley 1-2 Leeds United)

My Man Of The Match: Without a shadow of a doubt Killa. He was a rock today and absolute rock, he won every header and broke up most of Burnleys attacks single handedly. Lets hope it's a sign of things to come.

We get a slight disappointment on the way back home, Palace have won their two games in hand and now we're only 7 points clear, everyone has now played 12 matches except Wolves and Ipswich who play tomorrow. I tell the lads it's still a good cushion and that we've still won more matches than any other team.

Here are the current league standings

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Leeds United | | 12 | 9 | 2 | 1 | 29 | 15 | +14 | 29 |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Crystal Palace | | 12 | 6 | 4 | 2 | 20 | 10 | +10 | 22 |

| 3rd | | Wolves | | 12 | 6 | 4 | 1 | 15 | 7 | +8 | 22 |

| 4th | | Sheff Utd | | 12 | 5 | 6 | 1 | 18 | 13 | +5 | 21 |

| 5th | | Preston N.E. | | 12 | 5 | 5 | 2 | 25 | 14 | +11 | 20 |

| 6th | | Reading | | 12 | 5 | 5 | 2 | 18 | 8 | +10 | 20 |

| 7th | | Norwich City | | 12 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 17 | 12 | +5 | 19 |

| 8th | | Cardiff | | 12 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 13 | 10 | +3 | 19 |

| 9th | | Millwall | | 12 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 13 | 14 | +1 | 19 |

| 10th | | Stoke | | 12 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 16 | 19 | -3 | 19 |

| 11th | | Plymouth Argyle| | 12 | 3 | 7 | 2 | 9 | 9 | 0 | 16 |

| 12th | | Leicester City | | 12 | 3 | 6 | 3 | 17 | 14 | +3 | 15 |

| 13th | | Luton Town | | 12 | 4 | 3 | 5 | 15 | 15 | 0 | 15 |

| 14th | | Crewe A | | 12 | 3 | 5 | 4 | 16 | 15 | +1 | 14 |

| 15th | | Southampton | | 12 | 3 | 5 | 4 | 10 | 10 | 0 | 14 |

| 16th | | Hull City | | 12 | 2 | 8 | 2 | 11 | 15 | -4 | 14 |

| 17th | | Coventry City | | 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 15 | 15 | 0 | 13 |

| 18th | | Derby County | | 12 | 3 | 3 | 6 | 21 | 20 | +1 | 12 |

| 19th | | Ipswich Town | | 12 | 2 | 6 | 3 | 11 | 13 | -2 | 12 |

| 20th | | Watford | | 12 | 3 | 3 | 6 | 9 | 14 | -5 | 11 |

| 21st | | Brighton | | 12 | 3 | 2 | 7 | 10 | 22 | -12 | 11 |

| 22nd | | Burnley | | 12 | 2 | 4 | 6 | 10 | 16 | -5 | 10 |

| 23rd | | Q.P.R | | 12 | 1 | 5 | 6 | 9 | 17 | -8 | 8 |

| 24th | | Sheff Wed | | 12 | 0 | 4 | 8 | 8 | 23 | -15 | 4 |

</pre>

Heh, thanx for the feedback. I'm getting annoyed at the moment because I haven't been able to work on the story recently because of work commitments, ho hum real life has to cut in sometimes i guess icon_rolleyes.gif. However I hope to update the story v v v soon

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Leeds2022:

Heh, thanx for the feedback. I'm getting annoyed at the moment because I haven't been able to work on the story recently because of work commitments, ho hum real life has to cut in sometimes i guess icon_rolleyes.gif. However I hope to update the story v v v soon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_eek.gif any more likely to come?

• 5 weeks later...

Sunday 2nd October 9:00 AM (Lads Get A Deserved Break And So Do I)

I slowly open my eyes, I could easily stay in bed for the rest of the day. I stretch and yawn but I still feel a tad jaded, its been a hectic schedule recently and feeling drained physically and mentally. I look at my calendar and notice that I've been in the job just over 3 months now, it's gone bloody quick so far but it's taking its toll.

I roll out of bed and take a look in the mirror, a sleepy looking tramp looks back yawning and I realise that I haven't shaved in 3 days. God I've got to pull myself together, I must look such a mess to the fans and worse, to the board.

I see the team photo of the lads and suddenly I realise they must be feeling similarly stretched and they're the ones running around on the pitch. I think I'll give them a much needed break, they've given me their all recently despite some less than satisfactory results. I think I'd better call up early other wise it will be too late to get the lads sorted.

"Hi Rose, I know it's early on a Sunday but I need you to do me a massive favour...!"

"Sounds pretty interesting Chris and I was already up by the way. What's this favour about..? Oh, wait don't tell me, you want me to call the team and tell them that you want them in for extra training in the next few days...Am I Right?"

"Well, you're almost there, I actually wanted you to inform the lads that they have the next 3 days off training. They're under orders to get some well earned rest, that doesn't include going out boozing and clubbing, we all know what trouble that can cause. Its 14 days till the next match and they need a break I'm sure they won't be too shocked....

A giggle

It shouldn't take you long to get them all called, I'm sure you'll get a few complaints about the time...oh with that in mind make sure you call Killa first. Thanks again Rose, I'll make it up to you I promise.

There's the sound of laughter down the other end of the phone followed by an obviously amused Rose informing me that she'll see to it and that she didn't have anything better to do today anyway.

She's a bloody star that Rose.

Sunday 2nd October 9:00 AM (Lads Get A Deserved Break And So Do I)

I slowly open my eyes, I could easily stay in bed for the rest of the day. I stretch and yawn but I still feel a tad jaded, its been a hectic schedule recently and feeling drained physically and mentally. I look at my calendar and notice that I've been in the job just over 3 months now, it's gone bloody quick so far but it's taking its toll.

I roll out of bed and take a look in the mirror, a sleepy looking tramp looks back yawning and I realise that I haven't shaved in 3 days. God I've got to pull myself together, I must look such a mess to the fans and worse, to the board.

I see the team photo of the lads and suddenly I realise they must be feeling similarly stretched and they're the ones running around on the pitch. I think I'll give them a much needed break, they've given me their all recently despite some less than satisfactory results. I think I'd better call up early other wise it will be too late to get the lads sorted.

"Hi Rose, I know it's early on a Sunday but I need you to do me a massive favour...!"

"Sounds pretty interesting Chris and I was already up by the way. What's this favour about..? Oh, wait don't tell me, you want me to call the team and tell them that you want them in for extra training in the next few days...Am I Right?"

"Well, you're almost there, I actually wanted you to inform the lads that they have the next 3 days off training. They're under orders to get some well earned rest, that doesn't include going out boozing and clubbing, we all know what trouble that can cause. Its 14 days till the next match and they need a break I'm sure they won't be too shocked....

A giggle

It shouldn't take you long to get them all called, I'm sure you'll get a few complaints about the time...oh with that in mind make sure you call Killa first. Thanks again Rose, I'll make it up to you I promise.

There's the sound of laughter down the other end of the phone followed by an obviously amused Rose informing me that she'll see to it and that she didn't have anything better to do today anyway.

She's a bloody star that Rose.

Monday 3rd October (The Day Of Many Ponderings)

It was the blinking that snapped me out of my trance, I focussed on the digital clock that had served me well for so long and had managed to snatch my attention.

I raised a brow, where had the time gone? I had been lost in daydream for the past hour, thinking about our fixture in 13 days time and going through the whys and wherefores of who I should pick and who would be fit for the match.

I was hoping against hope that I would be able keep the same 11 that have managed to start doing the business again. I didn't want to make too many changes if possible as we'd just got back to winning ways and I didn't want to upset the stability of the team. But on the flipside we have a local derby against Hull at home 3 days after the visit to Stoke. I'd need everyone fit and fired up because there was a buzz amongst the fans that this game would hopefully be a highly passionate affair and I for one didn't want to disappoint them or be myself disappointed.

I wrote down on a scrap of paper the names I had in mind for the Stoke match.

Preferred Line Up

Bennet, Harding, Kilgallon, Kelly, Hoovield, Einarsson, Derry, Lewis, Douglas, Demouge and Cresswell

Stoke City Vs Leeds United (15/10/2005) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I looked at the papers for Englands fixtures in the forthcoming World Cup Qualifiers and noted that we had perhaps two of the hardest fixtures of our qualifying campaign againt Austria and then Poland on the 8th and 12th respectively.

It gave me a feeling of excitement as I always felt when England play, yet it was tinged with sadness as I looked at the potential line ups and remembered how many internationals our club used to have. I shake off the thought and reassure myself that Leeds will again boast the likes of top class players who have more quality and critically more loyalty than previous players who seemed happy to pick up their wage packets and yet not give their all for the Leeds cause. My plan is that in in a few years we'll be back where we belong in Europe and challenging for silverware. I want European football, I'm sick of watching the likes of Arsenal and theMan Utdscum predictably appearing and failing in Europe, we should be there too and by hell and high water we will have it.

Wednesday 5th October (Back To Business...For Some At Least)

I get to the training ground fairly early expecting to be there before the lads arrive, I pull into the carpark and notice that much to my chargrin there isn't a space to be had. Suddenly my annoyance turns to total shock. It clicks, they must already be here, but why?

It's our first day back to training and I was expecting the lads to be a little slow and to be taking it easy. How wrong could I get? The lads trained their hearts out and never stopped encouraging each other and pushing each other. At the end of the session I stopped Sam.

"What's going on there? I've never seen them quite so enthusiastic...I mean it's brilliant and everything but why, has someone put something in the water or what?"

Sam sniffs his amusement

"You sure you have enough time for the answer Chris, it's a fairly long one, I could make it short but it wouldn't do it justice, plus this needs to be said."

I nod and lean against the office wall, steadying myself for whats to be said. I look at him as a signal to continue

"Well Guv, I'll tell you it as I see it. There's a few good reasons for the way they've been today and all of them have one link, You. You've given them the belief that they're more than just another load of lads playing for an average Championship team. They're playing for Leeds United and that is something that you've made them proud of. You've put the pride back into the players and that, Chris, is something we've not had for a long while."

I couldn't help but let a huge smile burst through, I mean who wouldn't smile at hearing that kind of news. I felt that swell of pride in my chest that I used to feel when we were setting Europe alight, in a footballing sense that is.

I felt proud, this is my team and they are doing it for me, the fans, each other, Leeds.

Friday 7th October (Good Press At Last)

I'm in my office staring at the computer screen, not particularly focussing on anything in particular, when there's a shout from upstairs.

"Chris, Chris, where the hell are you? Have you seen the papers today? It's something I think you'll like."

I almost fall off my chair but manage to grab hold of the desk before I completely wipe myself out. I've got to stop bloody daydreaming, it can't be good for me and I'm sure I was meant to be doing something at the time.

I run upstairs, it sounds like something's excited Emma enough to get her shouting about it.

"You said something about the papers?"

She thrusts the paper into my hands.

"Read it, just read it."

On The Rise With Leeds United, From Potential Liquidation To Premiership Promise

The News Of The World, Friday 7th October

Just two years ago Leeds United were almost extinct, wiped out of existence after a series of top level blunders regarding finances. As it has been well documented, Leeds had indeed lived the dream and were now in a living nightmare.

It is with that in mind that I feel it is a major testament to the manager Christopher Marsh, who has managed to transform this devastated club, low on pride, morale and belief into an exciting and powerful force in the Coca Cola Championship. Leeds aspirations have changed from survival to success in such a short period of time that I wanted to find out more about this man Christopher Marsh and set about interviewing playing staff and other people associated with Leeds United to find out more.

Manager Marsh has certainly stamped his authority on the team early on with a succession of sales of apparently surplus players, whether this is still a sign of Leeds financial frailties or whether it was just good business may never be known but Marsh definately seems to be keeping the fans, board and the players happy.

When I asked if players were willing to comment on the situation at Leeds and in particular their manager I was surprised with the response. All were positive in their appraisal of Marsh, perhaps the best praise of all came from a homegrown player Matthew Kilgallon.

"He's a mint manager is Chris, my career has only just started but he's given me the belief that I can do so much more than I ever thought I was capable of. In fact it's not just me, it's the entire club. He's made Leeds United a better team, there's a strong sense of pride and belief again at the club and this time it's not based on borrowed money and false truths, it's straight talking and downright belief in Leeds United thats done it.

I can safely say that I reckon almost everyone related to the club is glad that he's on board, I personally think he will get us Premiership football and Europe in the future."

New boy Frank Demouge also offered his views on his new home and manager.

"Everyone knows Leeds United and the circumstances of how they came to be in this division. But what people don't know is that this club came so close to not being here, I knew about Leeds United's difficulties even in Holland, it was big news. I knew they were in debt and had been relegated but I did not know the full enormity of the situation.

When Chris called me to meet up about a potential transfer to Leeds I must admit I was a bit skeptical, I mean before the chairman took over Leeds were all but extinct and it would be a risk for any player to move overseas to a club that may not last much longer. I agreed to meet him and we talked. He won me over after just one meeting, the passion with which he spoke about the club made it almost impossible not to want to sign for him. He said that he'd taken the risk with Leeds and that to get them back up where they belong they need the players who are willing to fight tooth and nail to do it.

He made me see that the only way was up and reassured me that he'd see that Leeds were run well. It took one meeting and the deal was done, he is that good. It's a pleasure to work for him and I look forward to scoring more for the fans."

With these viewpoints in mind I set about finding out whether this was majority view or whether there was still some doubts as to Marsh's commitment and lack of experience. I found a few Leeds fans willing to comment on Marsh's brief reign, here are a few quotes from the fans I found.

-"Bloody marvel that man, hope he keeps it up."

-"Good to see a team that look like they want to play to win."

-"Ohh, I'm not too sure yet, ask me when the seasons over."

-"I'm pretty optimistic that he'll get us back up."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was another page or two of the story but I put it down to answer the phone that was ringing unceasingly

"Hello, Chris Marsh spea..."

"Well Mr Marsh, it seems everyone thinks the sun shines out of your arse..."

Oh god it's Ken, I expect he's going to tell me what he really thinks, just for a change. I almost consider hanging up.

"..and they're not the only ones, I'm glad to see you're getting the praise you deserve lad. Lets hope everyones optimism lasts eh? keep it up. . ."

The line goes dead and I'm left holding the receiver looking like I'm frozen in time. I thump down the stairs thinking to myself did that actually just happen? I can't believe Ken called me up just to say that, he must be bored sitting on his yacht or something.

Some people.

Archived