Description: Official 7.0.2 Update Database

Database size: Large

Selected: England (Conference North/South) Playable

Germany (Second Division) View-only

Holland (First Division) Playable

Italy (Serie B) View-only

Spain (LIGA BBVA) View-only

Start Date: July 2006

Playing Football Manager 2007, is starting with making some choices. What country do you wane start in and also what team do you want to manage. The easiest road is to choose a well known team and go for the big prices. Or start at very low level and see where it ends. Both can be fun but I still believe being successful with a lower level team is much harder. You have to struggle with financial issue, getting good players to the club is hard. The only advantage I see, is getting fired is a little harder.

So I am going to make history with a team playing in the English Conference South. The team I am starting is called Dorchester Town. Before I started this game, I never heard of this team. So you understand that all what you will read in this story is new for me and also fiction. I only hope to have fun in this game and I hope you all like my story. Please also keep in mind when reading, I am not off English origin. So the language sometimes can give me a hard time.

Introduction of Dorchester Town

The club was founded in 1880. The home matches they play at the Avenue Stadium in Dorchester. This stadium can host 5.009 people of which 697 have a seat. As it is a small club in England, they only have basic training facilities and minimal youth facilities. Dorchester Town is a semi-professional football club and so many players have also a job they have to attend. The estimated value is € 350.000.

The club does not have a history at all. So every price won as a manager is completely new to them. The team is not linked with any other team in England.

And here the story starts ………

Sunday 2nd July 2006

New manager at Dorchester Town

A total of 4 men had gathered around the table in the director’s room. The members of the board (Chris Pugsley, Keith Kellaway and Eddy Belt) and the virtually unknown Patrick van Dijk. The reason they had gathered was because the club needed a new manager and it looked like Patrick van Dijk was willing to take the job. Was this new manager going to bring a nightmare to Dorchester Town or was this the start of a beautiful dream. Only time would give an answer to this question.

All 4 people signed the piece of paper that seemed to be a contract. It was a contract for one year, ending at the end of Jun 2007. Patrick van Dijk received a copy of this contract and also a sealed envelope.

He was told the directions to his own office and then Patrick van Dijk left.

from this moment on, the story will continue from the view of Patrick van Dijk

After a little walk and asking directions twice, I finally received my own little office. In this office I saw a small table with some chairs and also a small desk with a computer and a telephone. So this was going to be my place for this year. I sat down at my desk with my contract and the closed envelope in front of me. Was this really what I wanted or had I made a mistake by accepting this job. Again I looked at the contract that I just had signed. Dorchester Town would arrange a room for me at the George Hotel including breakfast and dinner. Also a small car was arranged and a salary of € 160 per week. Sure I was not going to get rich but I could try and make the best of it. As I could make it at Dorchester Town, I sure could make it somewhere else in the future.

Then I saw the closed envelope and opened it. There were some pieces of paper with information about the club. This is what it said:

Dorchester Town

Current Balance: € 7.667

Current Wage: € 6.260

Wage Budget: € 7.230

Transfer Budget (Season): € 0

Transfer Budget (Remaining): € 0

80% of transfer revenue made available for transfer budget

Board’s expectation: Achieve a safe mid-table position within the Conference South.

Supporters’ expectation: Achieve a mid-table position within the Conference South.

If requested, we will discuss to be linked with another team in England.

The look at this paper made me start worrying. This sure was going to become a hard job as I only could get people to Dorchester Town that did not have a contract or were willing to come on a loan. So it might be a good thing, to get linked with another team. So I called Chris Pugsley to discuss the opportunity to affiliate Dorchester with another club. He promised me the board would look at my request at the next board meeting and provide me with a response within the next few weeks.

The staff

Coaching Staff

Assistant Manager: Steve Johnson

Coaches: Kevin Hillier, Brian Benjafield, Trevor Senior

Other Staff

Physio: Geoff Dine

Scout: Philip Silk

For a little team like Dorchester Town, they had a decent staff gathered at the club. Only thing missing was a second scout. As I wanted to work with at least 2 scouts I started looking for one.

The Squad

Goalkeeper : Simon Evans, Richard Martin

Right Defender : Barry McConnell, Ryan Hill

Left Defender : Terry Parker

Central Defender : Alex Browne, Michael Taylor, Scott Morgan, Jack Cleverley

Defensive Midfielder : Guy Lopez, Mark Jermyn

Right Midfielder : Larbi Mekchicha, Mark Robinson

Left Midfielder : Justin Keeler

Central Midfielder : Sean Smith, James Rowe, Jamie Gleeson

Striker : Matt Groves, Steve Flack, David Town, Sonyo Da Mata

There was not one player that sounded familiar to me, so they all would get a chance to prove themselves. Also the advice of my assistant manager was going to be very important to me.

Steve Johnson told me that he believed that Dorchester need to strengthen their squad to meet the expectations given. So the current squad was not strong enough to establish a safe mid-table position in the English Conference South.

Also he told me what his starting lineup with the current squad when using a 4-1-3-2 formation: (gk) R. Martin; (DR) B. McConnell; (DL) T. Parker; (DC) A. Browne; (DC) S. Morgan; (DMC) M. Jermyn; (MR) M. Robinson; (ML) J. Keeler; (MC) G. Lopez; (SC) M, Groves; (MC) D. Town.

I already had expected that I needed to bring in some new players to strengthen the team. Especially the left side was weak as there were only 2 players for 2 positions. So that was given priority. But I also would have a look for other players that were willing to come.

Thursday 6th July 2006

I had found some players that were willing to come and play for Dorchester Town. The following players arrived on a free transfer: Chris Stowe (S C), Steve Lunt (S C), Andrew Burke (M L) and Dean Samuels (M R).

Friday 7th July 2006

The squad welcomed another 2 players today. It were Callum Flanagan (S C) and Matt Stowell (D LC) who we had also found on a free transfer. I believed the team was becoming stronger with the new players that joined lately.

Saturday 8th July 2006

For the first time, I was going to see the team in action in a real match as we played against Northwich Victioria. The team played a good match and at the end won it with a 4-3 score. Matt Groves scored an hat-trick and the other goal was scored by Steve Lunt.

Monday 10th July 2006

I had signed another player to strengthen our defense as we had found Simon Hughes on a free transfer. Other good news was that I finally had found a scout that was willing to join my staff. It was 37-year old Daniel Griffiths that signed a contract for a year. So my staff now was ready for the start of the season.

Thursday 13th July 2006

In our second match during pre season we had to face Grays Athletic. It was David Town scoring our only goal within a minute. After that it was Grays being to stronger team on the field and manage to find the back of the net 4 times. One of the goals of Grays was an own goal scored by Mark Jermyn after a miscommunication with the goalkeeper. Grays won this match by a 4-1 score.

Tuesday 18th July 2006

In our third match during pre season, we had to face a team playing English League Two. It was Hereford United coming to Avenue Stadium. Hereford did start very strong and within 15 minutes we had fallen 2 goals behind. Goals scored by Matt Groves and David Town leveled the score. We had made an excellent come back in the game. When I looked at the scoreboard at the end of the match, I saw it had ended in a surprising draw.

Friday 21st July 2006

Our first away match in pre season was against Tiverton Town. We did not play a good match and this was showed on the board. The match ended in a 2-1 defeat. Steve Lunt made our only goal this game. I was a bit worried about the goalkeepers. I wondered of Simon Evans was good enough to replace Richard Martin. As he made some terrible mistakes today.

Monday 24th July 2006

Home against Crawley Town and this was a strange match. In the first half, they completely overrun us and they took a 4-0 lead. All goals scored by Elliot Benyon. In the second half both teams made some replacements. This gave us a chance to get back in the game. We now were able to create some chances and this also resulted in goals. Matt Groves scored once and Callum Flanagan scored twice. We lost the match by a 4-3 score and again the team showed they never would give up.

Tuesday 25th July 2006

As I had stated, I was afraid that Simon Evans was not good enough to replace Richard Martin. So I looked around and finally made an offer to loan Michael Poke from Southampton. This would give Simon Evans to play regular in the reserves and hopefully he will improve.

Friday 28th July 2006

The last match in pre season was away against Connah’s Quay Nomads. I had hoped for a win but the match ended in a draw. Goals were scored in the second half. After we had fallen behind, it was Matt Groves scoring the equalizer. During the match, we lost Justin Keeler due to a damaged elbow. The physio expected him to be out of the game for about 3 weeks.

Sunday 30th July 2006

Bad news as we lost Richard Martin. During a training session Richard Martin had sustained a sprained ankle after he landed heavily. He would be treated by his own club and when recovered he was going to come back. This was going to take almost 2 months. So Michael Poke was going to be our first goalkeeper till he was back.

Good luck with Dorchester. Having started with Western Super Mare in that league I have a fond regard for players from that division.

Jermyn and Groves are for me your star players and I bought Jermyn one year later. Groves seems to find the back of the net regularly but was never interested in joining me despite decent offers.

Eliot Benyon is at Crawley Town? Is he on loan?

Fantastic goalscorer

icon14.gif

Tuesday 1st August 2006

Pre season was over and the start of the English Conference South was nearing. I was able to have a look at the squad during several matches. And though the results were not that great, still I felt confidence. I thought that we were going to meet the expectations this season though I hoped to get close to a play off spot. If there was a problem to be expected this season then it probably was in the attack. Matt Groves had scored 6 times and also had 2 assist. I wondered of we had someone to replace him, when he was injured.

Tuesday 8th August 2006

It took a while but finally the board asked me for my help by choosing the team to get linked with. After I had looked at the opportunities, I gave them my choice. I told them that if it was up to me, Southampton was to be to team. They accepted this and told me they would come back soon with a verdict.

They came back the same day with the verdict. And both Southampton and Dorchester Town were delighted to announce the new link between the clubs. I hoped Southampton would send me one or two players to strengthen the team. And getting € 20.000 every year was a good thing for the club.

Thursday 10th August 2006

Southampton did send 1 player to out team. But before we were able to use this player we had to wait about 3 months as he was undergoing treatment for strained ankle ligaments. But when he was ready to make his comeback on the pitch, we sure had a decent player to use.

Saturday 12th August 2006

The first match in the English Conference South was at home against Weston-super Mare and I hoped to start with a victory. It was Matt Groves scoring on the break and giving us a lead in the match. The first half seemed to end in a 1-0 lead when suddenly Alex Browne played the ball towards our goalkeeper. The ball did not reach Michael Poke as an opponent intercepted the ball. He did not give our goalkeeper a chance to make a save and scored the equalizer. As in the second half no goals were scored, the match ended in a 1-1 draw. Alex Browne had given away our victory with a pass he never should have made.

Wednesday 16th August 2006

Our second match this season was away against away against Histon. At the start this team was seen as favorite’s to win this match. Within 3 minutes we had fallen behind and needed to find the equalizer. It was Guy Lopez with an excellent taken freekick to level the score. As both teams did not score another goal, the match ended in a 1-1 draw. Looking at the match, I think the result at the end was correct as both teams did not deserve to lose.

Saturday 19th August 2006

Newport County came to visit Avenue Stadium. Both teams wanted to win this match. It was a very close match though especially the second half was boring for the fans. In the first half is was Matt Groves bringing the ball forward. As he did not see any help, he decided to keep rushing towards the goal. He beat the goalkeeper and gave us a 1-0 lead. An excellent break by this player. Newport tried very hard but were not able to endanger our goalkeeper. The match ended in a 1-0 victory. Our first win of the season.

After the match, our physio told me that Barry McConnell had suffered a pulled hamstring and was out for about a month. A journalist asked me how I felt about losing that player. I sure admitted it was a blow for the team but that I though I had one or 2 players in the team to replace him.

Tuesday 22nd August 2006

The away match against Eastbourne Borough ended in a boring 0-0 draw. And though they played more then 45 minutes with 10 players, we were lucky to get away with a draw. This just was a game to forget and hope will not happen too much.

Saturday 26th August 2006

Another match and no victory for Dorchester Town. We faced Eastleigh in a home match. And though we were the better team on the field, we did very bad in front of the goal. Not a shot was on target and that way, you will not score a goal. It was Eastleigh scoring on a break and taking home 3 points. After the match I felt a little disappointed in the teams performance today.

Monday 28th August 2006

At Cressing Road Stadium we faced home team Braintree Town. As they lost 3 games in a row, I expected a win today. And for the first time this season, the team showed their potential. In an exciting match we were victorious. At the end of the match the scoreboard showed a 2-4 score. It was Matt Groves scoring a hat-trick today and Steve Lunt also found the back of the net just before the end of the time. Still there were moments in the game, I believed we were going to give away our lead. Braintree managed to score twice and both times they came back to only 1 goal difference. Our defense was not at his strongest during today’s match.

After the match Chris Pugsley joined us in the dressing room. He praised to team for the way they played today. And he hoped this was victory was a platform to build on for the team.

Tuesday 29th August 2006

The papers were very enthusiastic about the 4-2 victory over Braintree. Especially the performance of Matt Groves was praised. Some journalist commented that you could take a video of Groves’ performance and show it to any young kid and say “this is how to playâ€. At the moment Matt Groves scored 5 goals this season and had showed that he is important for our team.

Friday 1st September 2006

Monthly review: August

After 6 matches, Dorchester Town had reached 12th position at the league table. With 2 wins, 3 draws and 1 defeat. According the expectations, we had got us the safe mid-table position but I was not satisfied. Especially the lost match was a thorn in my eyes as I believed we should have won that match. Looking at the goals scored, it is a little bit of a shock that we depend on Matt Groves. We scored a total of 7 goals and 5 of them came from Matt Groves. What if this player would pick up an injury, how would the team deal with it. This really worried me as the other strikers did not show enough decent action in front of the goal.

The board still thought they had made the right choice when they offered me the job as manager. The supporters still were not convinced as they wondered what effect my management was having on the club’s fortunes.

Saturday 2nd September 2006

A real test for my team as Sutton United came to Avenue Stadium. Sutton was the team leading the English Conference South as they had won all matches. Everyone expected they also would win this match. And it looked everyone was right as within 8 minutes they had taken a 1-0 lead. As they forgot to score another goal, they gave us a chance to get back in the game. It was a shock for Sutton when Dean Samuels scored the equalizer just before half time. In the second half we were the team in control and this resulted in 2 goals. It was David Town giving us the lead in the match and finally Justin Keeler to secure the victory. An excellent win over a strong team that was believed to win promotion this season.

Saturday 9th September 2006

In the away match against Bishop’s Stortford the team made several mistakes. We conceded 2 goals and both were to blame on a player of Dorchester. The first goal was an own goal scored by Scott Morgan. The second goal was after bad clearance by our goalkeeper. Converting a penalty kick by Justin Keeler was not enough to win at least 1 point. Losing a match can happen but not when you lose it like today and that I told my team after the match.

Tuesday 12th September 2006

Everyone was wondering when Matt Groves was going to score his 100th goal for Dorchester United. Was it against Yeading in today’s match or did the fans have to wait for the next match. It was David Town to centre the ball and with a diving header it was Matt Groves scoring the goal. An excellent goal to celebrate number 100 for the club. In the second half it was again David Town finding Matt Groves and with his second goal this match, he gave us a 2-0 lead. The goal scored by Yeading came to late to steal our victory. A good 2-1 win against Yeading brought us another 3 points in the English Conference South.

Saturday 16th September 2006

The next match was away against Havant & Waterlooville. Though they wer having a bad season, they won last 3 matches played. So we were warned about their form. Still our defense gave them a chance to take an early lead in the game and we had to fight our way back in the game. It was David Town scoring the equalizer and so first half ended in a 1-1 draw. In the second half the home team was stronger but in the last minutes of the game we had some opportunities to score and steal all 3 points. The match ended in a 1-1 draw.

Monday 18th September 2006

Today the draws were made for the English FA Cup Second Qualifying round. As I wanted to see the drawing I watched it on television. The first team coming out of the cup was Dorchester Town. So within a few seconds I knew who our opponents were going to be. Second team that was drawn was Worthing. The match was scheduled for Saturday 30th September and we played at Avenue Stadium. Playing home should give us some advantage in the FA Cup.

Saturday 23rd September 2006

There were matches that we easily scored but to often we had trouble finding the goal. In the match against Cambridge City, this was again the problem. We dominated the entire match and easily should have won it. But as we did not score, the match ended in a 0-0 draw. Probably I had to look for a good striker to come and play for Dorchester City.

Saturday 30th September 2006

In the English FA Cup we played a home match against Worthing. This match was expected to be easily won but it ended in embarrassment. It started with Matt Groves missing a penalty kick in the first half. Still we took a 1-0 lead when Steve Lunt found the goal. But as we forget to play the game and not score another goal, Worthing believed in a possible surprise. In the second half they managed to beat our goalkeeper and level the score. As no goals were scored, the match ended in a 1-1 draw. We needed another match to force qualification, how sad. I really was angry with the team after today’s performance.

After the match, I was told that Callum Flanagan had suffered a pulled hamstring after chasing the ball and was out for about a month.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

English Conference South -- October 2006

Holders - Weymouth

Pos | Inf | Team || Pld | Won | Drn| Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st | | Sutton Utd || 11 | 9 | 0 | 2 | 25 | 13 | +12 | 27

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd | | Fisher || 11 | 7 | 3 | 1 | 19 | 9 | +10 | 24

3rd | | Bognor Regis || 11 | 7 | 1 | 3 | 21 | 12 | +9 | 22

4th | | Welling || 11 | 7 | 1 | 3 | 19 | 11 | +8 | 22

5th | | Weston-s-Mare || 11 | 6 | 3 | 2 | 19 | 9 | +10 | 21

6th | | Salisbury || 11 | 6 | 3 | 2 | 22 | 14 | +8 | 21

7th | | Eastleigh || 11 | 6 | 3 | 2 | 14 | 8 | +6 | 21

8th | | Lewes || 11 | 5 | 3 | 3 | 16 | 14 | +2 | 18

9th | | Dorchester || 11 | 4 | 5 | 2 | 14 | 10 | +4 | 17

10th | | Newport Co || 11 | 5 | 1 | 5 | 17 | 14 | +3 | 16

11th | | Bishop's St || 11 | 5 | 1 | 5 | 16 | 20 | -4 | 16

12th | | Cambridge City || 11 | 4 | 3 | 4 | 15 | 12 | +3 | 15

13th | | Histon || 11 | 3 | 5 | 3 | 18 | 21 | -3 | 14

14th | | Eastbourne Boro || 11 | 3 | 3 | 5 | 20 | 16 | +4 | 12

15th | | Hayes || 11 | 3 | 3 | 5 | 13 | 17 | -4 | 12

16th | | Thurrock || 11 | 2 | 3 | 6 | 17 | 28 | -11 | 9

17th | | Bedford || 11 | 2 | 2 | 7 | 13 | 16 | -3 | 8

18th | | Havant & W || 11 | 1 | 5 | 5 | 11 | 14 | -3 | 8

19th | | Yeading || 11 | 1 | 3 | 7 | 10 | 21 | -11 | 6

20th | | Basingstoke || 11 | 1 | 3 | 7 | 10 | 27 | -17 | 6

21st | | Braintree || 11 | 1 | 2 | 8 | 7 | 34 | -27 | 5

22nd | | Farnborough || 11 | 4 | 2 | 5 | 16 | 12 | +4 | 4

10 points deducted from Farnborough

</pre>

Sunday 1st October 2006

Monthly review: September

In the English Conference South we played a total of 5 games of which 2 ended in a victoty, 2 ended in a draw and 1 in a defeat. This resulted in a 9th position at the table. Scoring goals still was an issue for the team and so I needed to find a good striker as soon as possible. Because of this problem, we were not able to qualify for the FA Cup and needed a second match to do so. Though we did ok in the month September, I still felt a little disappointed in the team.

Both the board and the supporters were pleased with my management at the club. We still meet the expectations and even had a chance to reach for a play off spot.

Wednesday 4th October 2006

The second match for qualification as we forget to win the first one. This time we had to face Worthing in an away game. This time the team started furious and did not give Worthing a chance for a surprise. It was Matt Groves giving us a 1-0 lead at half time. In the second half Justin Keeler converted from the spot. Besides a 2-0 score against Worthing, they also had to play with 10. The referee had given a red card because of the foul made that lead to this penalty kick. The match was now over and the fans only waited for another goal. It was Andrew Burke scoring our third goal. We had won the game and more important qualification for the next round.

In the next round we had to face Harrow Borough in another home match. The game was scheduled for Saturday 14th October.

Saturday 7th October 2006

I just did not know what to say after the away match against Lewes. In the first half we had done fine and took a 2-0 lead as Matt Groves scored twice and surprised Lewes and the fans. But in the second half everything went wrong. First there was Michael Taylor beating his own goalkeeper. As if that was not enough it was Guy Lopez doing the same thing and so the score was leveled again. The game ended in a 2-2 score and it was Dorchester scoring all the goals. This really had to hurt as we gave away 2 points.

Wednesday 11th October 2006

Geoff Dine stepped into my office and told he had some bad news. During a sprint session Andrew Burke had suffered a torn groin muscle. To recover from this injury, he probably would be out for at the most 4 months. This was something I could not use at the moment, but we had to deal with this.

My search for a decent attacker to strengthen the team still was going on. I had tried several players to come on a loan but thought the clubs accepted, the players refused to come and play for Dorchester Town.

Saturday 14th October 2006

In the English FA Cup 3rd Qualification round was played home against Harrow Borough. We started the game as favorite and this was seen on the pitch. Especially in the first half we made the difference. Goals scored by Dean Samuels and Matt Groves gave us a 2-0 lead at half time. In the second half not much happened though I felt we gave Harrow to much room. The match ended in a 2-0 victory and we won qualification for the next round.

Monday 16th October 2006

The draw was made for the English FA Cup 4th Round Qualifying. We had to face Bracknell Town in away match. The match was scheduled for Saturday 28th October 2006. Normally another match we should win.

Saturday 21st October 2006

At home against Hayes and another match ending in a draw. We were again the stronger team but just not able to score enough goals. In this match we needed a penalty kick to score a goal. It was Justin Keeler with an excellent kick. When Hayes lost a player because of a second yellow card, I hoped the game was ours. But they managed to score the equalizer just before half time. In the second half we tried but just lack the skills when in front of the goal. So the match ended in a 1-1 draw.

Saturday 28th October 2006

We had a weak start in the match against Bracknell Town. We had to concede a goal before we woke up and started playing. It was Matt Groves scoring the equalizer before half time and giving us a 1-goal lead at the start of the second half. It was an own goal by Scott Morgan that leveled the score and we could start all over again. A brought Steve Lunt as I hoped he was able to force a goal. Within 6 minutes he did what I wanted him to do. His first opportunity close to the goal also ended in the back of the net. A little later Matt Groves was on his way to a hat-trick when he was fouled in the area. The referee pointed towards the spot and also gave a red card. It was Justin Keeler making no error and converting the penalty kick. The match was over and we were in the next round of the English FA Cup. It was an own goal of Bracknell that put the final score on the board. We had won the match 5-2.

Tuesday 31st October 2006

As we had been qualified for the English FA Cup, we all watched todays drawing. We were not that happy with the draw as we had to face Stockport County in an away match. The game was scheduled for Saturday 11th November.

Later that day I was told that our defender Simon Hughes had sustained a sprained ankle during training and was out for about 2 months.

Wednesday 1st November 2006

Monthly review: October

This month we only played 2 matches in the English Conference South and both matches ended in a draw. The 3 matches in the English FA Cup ended in a victory and so we had qualified for the English FA Cup.

Especially in our defense we made some mistakes, which ended in a goal for our opponents and also a loss of points in the league. Still we managed to get 10th position and I still believe we could go up.

Both the Board and the supporters were pleased with my management of the team. At the moment we did meet the expectations and there was a chance to even do better.

We had to play a difficult away match as we had to face Welling United. They were in second position and needed a victory to stay close to the leaders. It was a match between two equal teams. In the first half both team created some chances but no goals were scored. In the second half it was again Matt Groves showed how important he was for Dorchester. Within 15 minutes he scored twice and gave us a comfortable 2-0 lead. Welling now needed to play a more attacking style and we took advantage of it. Mark Jermyn headed home a corner and secured our victory. I was very pleased with this victory though we lost Dean Samuels due to a fractured arm. He was out for about a month.

And as before, Chris Pugsley Walked into the dressing room to tell the team how please he was with the win over Welling United and the superb performance in today’s match.

Saturday 4th November 2006

We did not play a great match today when we faced Farnborough Town but the result was good. It was Larbi Mekchiche scoring the only goal after 7 minutes. Both teams created some chances to score a goal but never converted. So at the end of the match, the score still was 0-1. We had taken 3 points in an away match.

Monday 6th November 2006

Today the draw was made for the English FA Trophy Third Qualification Round. The match was scheduled for Saturday 25th November. The draw linked us with King’s Lynn and as we came second out of the bowl, it was an away match.

Saturday 11th November 2006

In the English FA Cup we had to face Stockport County in an away match. I told my players to enjoy the game as it was going to be difficult to win this match. My team did the best they could and gave Stockport a hard time in the first half. It was Matt Groves opening the score at the start of the game. Then Stockport started a wave and in a few minutes they had turned around the match and taken a 3-1 lead. We managed to score another goal just before half time. It was Matt Groves with his second goal. In the second half the scored twice as we had to take some risk. We lost 5-2 and were out of this Cup but my team had done a good job.

Wednesday 15th November 2006

Another match against a team with a top seat. We had an away match against Salisbury City and they were 2nd in the league. It was Justin Keeler who gave us an early lead. Salisbury wanted the victory and changed tactics and this was successful. Before half time they had turn around the match and taken a 2-1 lead. In the second half only one goal was scored. It was Steve Lunt, who finished on a break. The match finished in a 2-2 draw.

Saturday 18th November 2006

Everyone expected us to win the home match against Basingstoke Town. But to win matches, you first need to play them. It was an easy match as we controlled almost the entire match. It was Justin Keeler giving us the leas in the first half. In the second half it was Larbi Mekchiche to double the score. At this point the match was over as Basingstoke did not have the power to get back in the game. It was Justin Keeler scoring his second goal from the penalty spot. He converted all penalties taken this season. As we had a 3-0 lead, we took it a little easy. It was Basingstoke taking advantage of it by scoring a goal in the last minute. We won 3-1 and climbed to 5th spot in the English Conference South.

Saturday 25th November 2006

In the FA Trophy 3rd Qualification round we had to face King’s Lynn in an away match. It was not a very exciting match as we were able to keep them away from our goal. Only possibilities they had were from outside the area except for one. After a foul in the area, the referee gave a penalty kick but they missed. David Town finally was able to find the net again. He scored on a break and gave us a 1-goal lead. A little later it was Matt Groves scoring after bad clearance. As no more goals were scored, we won the match 2-0 and qualified for the next round.

Tuesday 28th November 2006

The draw for the first round in the English FA Trohpy was made today. I hoped for a team playing on the same level as we did. Out of the bowl came Grays Athletic, a team playing in the English Conference National. The match was scheduled for Saturday 16th December and was played at Avenue Stadium. We had draw the holders of the FA Trophy.

English Conference South -- 1st December 2006

Holders - Weymouth

Pos | Inf | Team || Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st | | Sutton Utd || 17 | 15 | 0 | 2 | 42 | 18 | +24 | 45

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd | | Salisbury || 17 | 10 | 5 | 2 | 35 | 20 | +15 | 35

3rd | | Fisher || 17 | 10 | 4 | 3 | 31 | 18 | +13 | 34

4th | | Welling || 17 | 10 | 2 | 5 | 29 | 18 | +11 | 32

5th | | Dorchester || 17 | 7 | 8 | 2 | 26 | 16 | +10 | 29

6th | | Weston-s-Mare || 17 | 8 | 4 | 5 | 28 | 16 | +12 | 28

7th | | Bognor Regis || 17 | 8 | 3 | 6 | 29 | 22 | +7 | 27

8th | | Bishop's St || 17 | 8 | 3 | 6 | 28 | 29 | -1 | 27

9th | | Lewes || 17 | 6 | 7 | 4 | 28 | 25 | +3 | 25

10th | | Eastleigh || 17 | 7 | 4 | 5 | 17 | 16 | +1 | 25

11th | | Eastbourne Boro || 17 | 6 | 5 | 6 | 28 | 22 | +6 | 23

12th | | Cambridge City || 17 | 6 | 5 | 6 | 23 | 22 | +1 | 23

13th | | Histon || 17 | 5 | 7 | 5 | 25 | 30 | -5 | 22

14th | | Newport Co || 17 | 6 | 2 | 9 | 25 | 29 | -4 | 20

15th | | Thurrock || 17 | 5 | 3 | 9 | 26 | 40 | -14 | 18

16th | | Havant & W || 17 | 4 | 5 | 8 | 20 | 20 | 0 | 17

17th | | Hayes || 17 | 3 | 6 | 8 | 17 | 29 | -12 | 15

18th | | Braintree || 17 | 4 | 3 | 10 | 17 | 41 | -24 | 15

19th | | Bedford || 17 | 3 | 4 | 10 | 18 | 24 | -6 | 13

20th | | Farnborough || 17 | 6 | 4 | 7 | 24 | 18 | +6 | 12

21st | | Yeading || 17 | 2 | 4 | 11 | 15 | 36 | -21 | 10

22nd | | Basingstoke || 17 | 1 | 6 | 10 | 16 | 38 | -22 | 9

</pre>

Friday 1st December 2006

Monthly review: November

It was a really good month in my opinion as we now had a play off spot in our hands. First spot is far away and I believed that Sutton United not was going to give that away. So we had to focus on a play off spot and see of winning promotion was possible.

We played 4 matches in the English Conference South, 3 ended in a victory and 1 ended in a draw. We were out of the English FA Cup and had qualified for the English FA Trophy. The team had shown some decent performances. Still I wanted an extra striker as there still was a problem. We needed to many chances to score a goal. I tried to get a striker on loan but till now it was no success.

The board was very pleased with my performance as manager. The supporters were very pleased with the progress the team had been making.

Saturday 2nd December 2006

Today Fisher Athletics came to Avenue Stadium. It was a clash between two teams with a play off spot in the English Conference South. Both teams did not want to lose this match. This was to been seen on the pitch as both played very careful. It was Fisher that controlled the match though playing an away match. After about 15 minutes in the game, they opened the score and took a 1-0 lead. We tried to launch some attacks but were not able to get close to the goal. It was with help of the referee, we finally managed to score the equalizer. David Town went down in the area and the referee pointed to the spot. Justin Keeler had no difficulty in scoring from the spot. A 1-1 score at half time and this also was the score at the end of the match. The second half was very boring and both teams did not deserve a win today.

Saturday 9th December 2006

We paid a visit to The New Eyrie as we had to face Bedford Town in the English Conference South. Though this team was having a tough season and fighting against regulation, I expected a difficult match. With help of Bedford we took the lead in this match as they scored an own goal. A little later we got a penalty kick to double the score but Justin Keeler found the goalkeeper on the way and missed. It was David Town to double the score a few minutes later. We had a great start of the game and it did not look we were going to have much trouble to win this game today. In the second half it was Bedford starting aggressive as they wanted to get at least 1 point out of the game. My team had trouble with this and so Bedford was able to come back in the game as they beat our goalkeeper. From the kick off, it was David Town restoring our 2 goals lead. But it did not stop Bedford. They felt they had a chance against us and so they did not give in. With still 15 minutes on the clock they again scored a goal. But luckily for us we did not concede another goal and took home 3 points. A hard fought victory it was.

Saturday 16th December 2006

In the English FA Trophy we had to face Grays Athletics in a hard home match. The team played a good match but we were just not strong enough to surprise them. Their first attack also gave them the lead in the match. My team tried to force them back in the game and on a break it was David Town scoring the equalizer. But within a few minutes they again took a lead after bad clearance from our defense. In the second half it was Matt Groves scoring after a long run to level the score again. This time Grays decided to change to a more attacking tactic. And this was successful as they managed to beat our goalkeeper twice. A 4-2 defeat and out of the cup, we now could focus on the Conference South.

Wednesday 20th December 2006

The next match was at home against Thurrock. Though they not doing well this season, I expect this was going to be a difficult match. In the first half no goals were scored but Thurrock already showed they were not playing for fun. It was Thurrock taking a 1-0 lead in the second half and again we had fallen behind. We started some attacks and one of them was successful. Matt Groves was the one scoring the equalizer. Again this striker played an important role for the team. The match ended in a 1-1 draw.

Tuesday 26th December 2006

I expected a victory against Bognor Regis Town during our next away match. And the team had listened to my request. They gave Bognor Regis never the chance to get in the game. It was David Town scoring our first goal within 10 minutes. Just before halftime it was Matt Groves to double the score. A good performance and a 2-0 lead. In the second half we kept Bognor Regis away from our goal and waited patiently for a break to score. It was Justin Keeler scoring our third goal. In the last minute Bognor Regis lost a player with a red card as he could not bare the defeat. We had taken 3 point home.

After the match it was Chris Pugsley coming to see the team and congratulate them with a supurb victory. He stated that this sort of performances made him proud to be a Dorchester fan.

Saturday 30th December 2006

A crazy match at Woodspring Park today as we face Weston-super-Mare in an away match. After 7 minutes we take a lead when Alex Brown headed home a corner. As no other goals were scored, we had a 1-0 lead at half time. At the start of the second half we doubled the score thanks to an own goal. Everyone thought the match was played but the action now just begon. Weston-super-Mare started an attack and turned around the match and the score completely. Within 30 minutes they had scored 3 times and taken a 3-2 lead. It was finally Steve Lunt scoring the equalizer and we took home 1 point. Sure we should not have given away a 2-goal lead, but when that happened and you still keep fighting a team shows some kinda class.

Monday 1st January 2007

Monthly review: December

We played 5 matches in the English Conference South, 2 wins and 3 draws. Also we still had a position that would mean play offs at the end of the season. So at the moment we did very good and the team had showed good progress. Though we could have won some of the matches ended in a draw, I was very pleased with the team. I hoped we could keep up this form. I still had not found a striker to strengthen our attack.

Both the board and the supporters were very delighted with the performance of the team. We even did better as they had expected as we currently had a top 5 position.

In the home match against Histon, the team could show they deserved the position at the table. And my players understood this as they opened an attack from the start. It was David Town scoring just before half time to give us a 1-0 lead at the break. On the second it was Matt Groves with 2 goals within 15 minutes to secure the game. We did not manage to keep a clean sheet as at the end of the match, Histon managed to score. Still we kept the 3 points at Avenue Stadium as the scoreboard showed 3-1.

Saturday 6th January 2007

Our 3rd defeat of the season as we played against Newport County. We took an early lead when Justin Keeler converted a penalty but after that it was Newport being the more dangerous team. As they scored 3 goals, they won the match 3-1. After 11 matches without losing, this record run was over. But still we were in a top 5 position.

Sunday 7th January 2007

It had taken a long period of time but finally I had found a striker that had the ability to strengthen our attack. It was 20-year old Marvin McDonald that signed a contract at Dorchester Town. I believed this player had the skills to make our team score more goals.

Saturday 13th January 2007

In our next match, we had to face Braintree Town. We needed a win to stay in the top 5. Also today our new striker was making his debut. The first half was boring as not much action was seen in front of the goal. In the second half it was Marvin McDonald scoring his first goal for Dorchester. Braintree leveled the score when our goalkeeper did not clear the ball. So we had to start all over again. It was Simon Hughes with a try from 30 meters to score the winning goal. We won 2-1 and added 3 points to our total and climbed to 4th position.

Saturday 20th January 2007

Another home match and this time it was Eastbourne Borough coming to visit Avenue Stadium. This match could have gone both ways though we were the stronger team on the pitch. It was one goal that decided the match. After 8 minutes it was Matt Groves with the opportunity to score and he managed to beat the goalkeeper. So another victory for Dorchester on the account of Matt Groves.

Saturday 27th January 2007

We played away against Eastleigh and it was a boring match. Both teams tried to take control over the match and keep the other side away from the goal. So all actions was in midfield. The match ended in a 0-0 score. None of the teams deserved a win.

After the match, my physio told me that 2 players had suffered an injury. Simon Hughes was out for 4 weeks with a twisted knee. Matt Stowell was out for a week with a dead leg.

English Conference South -- 1st March 2007

Holders - Weymouth

1st | | Sutton Utd || 31 | 21 | 5 | 5 | 60 | 30 | +30 | 68

2nd | | Welling || 31 | 17 | 7 | 7 | 59 | 35 | +24 | 58

3rd | | Fisher || 31 | 17 | 7 | 7 | 54 | 31 | +23 | 58

4th | | Dorchester || 31 | 14 | 14 | 3 | 50 | 31 | +19 | 56

5th | | Lewes || 31 | 14 | 9 | 8 | 49 | 38 | +11 | 51

6th | | Salisbury || 31 | 13 | 11 | 7 | 55 | 47 | +8 | 50

7th | | Eastleigh || 31 | 14 | 8 | 9 | 31 | 30 | +1 | 50

8th | | Weston-s-Mare || 31 | 13 | 10 | 8 | 53 | 36 | +17 | 49

9th | | Eastbourne Boto || 31 | 12 | 9 | 10 | 46 | 39 | +7 | 45

10th | | Thurrock || 31 | 12 | 7 | 12 | 54 | 61 | -7 | 43

11th | | Farnborough || 31 | 15 | 7 | 9 | 50 | 32 | +18 | 42

12th | | Histon || 31 | 11 | 9 | 11 | 51 | 52 | -1 | 42

13th | | Newport Co || 31 | 11 | 7 | 13 | 47 | 45 | +2 | 40

14th | | Bognor Regis || 31 | 12 | 4 | 15 | 44 | 48 | -4 | 40

15th | | Bishop's St || 31 | 11 | 7 | 13 | 46 | 55 | -9 | 40

16th | | Cambridge City || 31 | 9 | 9 | 13 | 36 | 40 | -4 | 36

17th | | Havant & W || 31 | 9 | 8 | 14 | 36 | 39 | -3 | 35

18th | | Hayes || 31 | 6 | 8 | 17 | 35 | 49 | -14 | 26

19th | | Braintree || 31 | 6 | 8 | 17 | 31 | 62 | -31 | 26

20th | | Bedford || 31 | 6 | 7 | 18 | 36 | 60 | -24 | 25

21st | | Yeading || 31 | 4 | 10 | 17 | 29 | 64 | -35 | 22

22nd | | Basingstoke || 31 | 4 | 9 | 18 | 33 | 61 | -28 | 21

</pre>

Thursday 1st February 2007

Monthly review: January

We played this month 5 matches, 3 ended in a win, 1 draw and 1 defeat. And because of these results we were currently 4th position in the English Conference South. If we were able to keep this spot, we had a little chance to win promotion in my first season as a manager. Even if we did not get promoted, we easily meet the expectations for this season. I was really proud of the squad and happy to be the manager of Dorchester Town.

Also the board and the supporters were delighted with the current run of the team and the progress we had made.

Saturday 3rd February 2007

We had to face Sutton United in an away match and this was sure going to be a difficult match. We wanted to get closer to the top and Sutton wanted the points to secure the title. It was a exciting game between 2 teams willing to give everything. It was Sutton to take a lead after 13 minutes but it did not last very long. Justin Keeler saw an opportunity to score and he did. The score was leveled again. There sure were moments that a goal could have scored but both teams failed to do so. And therefore the match ended in a 1-1 draw.

Saturday 10th February 2007

In the match home against Bishop’s Stortford we did well accept for one ding and that is scoring goals. We dominated the match but it was Bishop taking the lead in the second half. It was their first shot at goal and it went in. It was Marvin McDonald leveling the score after a mistake in the defense of Bishop. But we should have scored more and easily win the match. So the 1-1 draw was a bit of a disappointment for me.

Saturday 17th February 2007

Away against Yeading I expected my team to take home all 3 points. And though we were the stronger team, we were caught by a break of Yeading. Again we were a goal behind. But luckily we have Matt Groves in our team. This player was on fire toady, as he had an important role in our win today. First he leveled the score within 5 minutes and he also scored the goal that secured our victory. In between those 2 goals, Yeading had scored an own goal which gave us a lead at half time. Just after the break, it was Marvin NcDonald on his way to score a goal though he was brought down just outside the area. The referee made the only right choice when he showed a red card and Yeading now only had 10 players on the pitch. A 3-1 victory and 3 important points were won.

Saturday 24th February 2007

In a poor match we kept all 3 points at this was very important in this league. As winning points would get more pressure on the teams above us. We played against Havant & Waterlooville and this match was decided by 1 goal. It was Marvin McDonald scoring the goal that gave us the 3 points. But with today’s performance we sure could have lost if the opponent had been stronger.

Thursday 1st March 2007

Monthly review: February

This month we played 4 matches, 2 ended in a victory and 2 in a draw. Due to these results, we now were at 4th position in the English Conference South. I thought it was a good month for the team although scoring goals sometimes still is a problem. I thought we could do it and have a top 5 position at the end of the season. So that was going to be the goal.

Both the board and the supporters were extremely pleased with the performance of the team. They already started thinking about the possibility to promote to the English Conference National.

Saturday 3rd 2007

I guess the squad was starting to feel some pressure in the match against Cambridge United. We had problems controlling the match and also creating chances. A good thing that Cambridge also had a bad day and spoiled the opportunities they had. The match ended in a boring 0-0 draw.

Wednesday 7th March 2007

In the away match against Hayes, it was a very exciting start from both sides. Within 9 minutes the score was 1-2. Matt Groves and David Town scored a goal and in between it was Hayes finding the net. In the second half Justin Keeler scored our third goal in this match. But our 2 goal lead did not last long as within a minute Hayes scored again. Hayes tried to find the draw but we were able to keep our goal clean of another goal. So the match ended in a 3-2 victory.

Saturday 10th March 2007

A difficult match as we had to face Lewes in a home match. They also were a top 5 team and wanted to keep there. When Matt Groves scored the only goal in half time, I hoped this was enough to win this match. In the second half it looked we were going to win this match till 5 minutes before the end. Lewes found a way to beat our goalkeeper and scored the equalizer. So at the end of the match, a 1-1 was seen on the score board.

Saturday 17th March 2007

Another home match as we had to face the team on second position, Welling United. It was a great match with good action. I was really proud of my team as they gave an excellent performance. Welling had come to get 3 points but had to go home empty handed. We won the match 3-0 as Matt Groves, David Town and Steve Lunt scored a goal. This match sure was good for the confidence of my team as it showed they could get a good position at the end of the season.

Saturday 24th May 2007

Today it was Farnborough Town coming to Avenue Stadium. Though this team was not in a high position, it was a good team. If the had not started with a minus 10 points this season, they could have finished in a top 5 position. So it was expected to be a tough game that we had to play. It was David Town scoring twice in the second half and giving us a 2-0 lead. Farnborough tried but were not able to endanger our goalkeeper till the 90th minute. But that was not enough for them and we kept 3 important points at Dorchester.

Friday 30th March 2007

Chris Pugsley asked me to come to his office as there was some important issue he wanted to talk about. So when I stepped into his office, he smiled at me and asked me to sit down. We are having a great season, he started. And is because of the great job you are doing at Dorchester. So please will you sign this contract and stay at Dorchester Town for another 3 years. We think you can gain experience here for the future and you can bring some success to our team. If not for me, do it for the team and the supporters. I did not have to think as I picked up a pen and signed the contract. I was manager of Dorchester Town for another 3 years.

Saturday 31st March 2007

We had to play another match in the English Conference South. It was an away match against Basingstoke Town. As they were last in the competition, everyone expected a win today. But we had lots of difficulty against this team and the match ended in a 2-2 draw. All goals were scored in the first half and twice they had taken a lead. Goals by Matt Groves and David Town gave us 1 point out of this match. Strange when you win against a top team and lose points against a lower team.

Sunday 1st April 2007

Monthly review: March

This month we played a total of 6 matches of which 3 ended in a draw and all the others were won. And this resulted in a 3rd position in the English Conference South. With 5 matches left in the season, we were very close to the play offs and a possible promotion to the English Conference National. I was pleased with the results this month and hoped the team could keep it up.

The board and also the supporters were very pleased with the progress the team was making. This had already resulted in a new 3 year contract, which I also did sign.

Saturday 7th April 2007

In the home match against Salisbury City, we were the stronger team on the field and dominating the match. But the problem was to score a goal so we could win the match. I had to be patient at I had to wait till the 75th minute to celebrate a goal. It was Mark Jermyn converting a freekick. A little we again were given a freekick and Mark Jermyn showed his skills one more time. The match ended in a 2-0 victory

Monday 9th April 2007

Top 5 team Fisher Athletic hosted today’s match and both teams wanted a victory to secure their position. In the first half it was Matt Groves to score and we had taken a lead in the game. Everything looked to go our way till the 60th minute, within 5 minutes Fished turned around the match and took a 2-1 lead. We had to take a little more risk as we at least wanted to take home 1 point. It was Marvin McDonald finding the back of the net. With only 10 minutes on the clock the score was leveled again. A Shock when David Town had to leave the pitch due to an injury. He suffered strained knee ligaments and was out for the season. The match ended in a draw and both teams needed just one more win to secure the play offs.

Saturday 14th April 2007

Bedford Town came to Avenue Stadium and they desperate needed a win as they struggled against relegation. To bad for them they found Matt Groves in an excellent form. Matt Groves scored a goal after 13 minutes and when Mark Jermyn found the net a little later, the match was over. This victory secured our play off spot but also resulted in relegation for Bedford Town.

Saturday 21st April 2007

As the play offs were reached, the pressure was gone. Only thing important was to keep away from injuries. This was our last away match in the English Conference South this season. It was Thurrock taking a lead after just 19 minutes. From that moment we were able to take control over the match. And as in our match against Bedford both Matt Groves and Mark Jermyn scored a goal. The match ended in a 2-1 victory. When I looked at he table after the match, I saw we were not able to climb to a higher spot. Also Sutton United had won the English Conference South.

Saturday 28st April

The last match of the English Conference South. We had to face Bognor Regis Town in a home match. The only thing at stake in this match was what position we would end at the table. We could finish 3rd but it also was possible to finish 5th place. If we won this match, 3rd place was ours. If the match ended in a draw or a defeat, position depended on results in other matches. It was Callum Flanagan scoring the only goal in the first half. As we dominated the game, this lead was deserved. In the second half it was Bognor Regis with a goal to level the score and I started listening to the results of the other matches. If this was the result at the end of the game, we probably would lose 3rd place. In the last minute of the match, Marvin McDonald headed home a corner and secured our victory. So 3rd place was ours and we had to try to win promotion in the play offs.

English Conference South -- 29th April 2007

Holders - Weymouth

1st | Pr | Sutton Utd || 42 | 26 | 8 | 8 | 76 | 40 | +36 | 86

2nd | Pl | Fisher || 42 | 25 | 10 | 7 | 69 | 38 | +31 | 85

3rd | Pl | Dorchester || 42 | 21 | 18 | 3 | 71 | 41 | +30 | 81

4th | Pl | Lewes || 42 | 22 | 10 | 10 | 70 | 44 | +26 | 76

5th | Pl | Welling || 42 | 21 | 12 | 9 | 73 | 48 | +25 | 75

6th | | Eastleigh || 42 | 19 | 11 | 12 | 44 | 41 | +3 | 68

7th | | Eastbourne Boro || 42 | 19 | 10 | 13 | 66 | 51 | +15 | 67

8th | | Farnborough || 42 | 21 | 10 | 11 | 62 | 38 | +24 | 63

9th | | Salisbury || 42 | 16 | 13 | 13 | 65 | 61 | +4 | 61

10th | | Weston-s-Mare || 42 | 16 | 11 | 15 | 66 | 60 | +6 | 59

11th | | Bognor Regis || 42 | 18 | 5 | 19 | 62 | 64 | -2 | 59

12th | | Newport Co || 42 | 15 | 12 | 15 | 64 | 60 | +4 | 57

13th | | Histon || 42 | 15 | 12 | 15 | 67 | 70 | -3 | 57

14th | | Havant & W || 42 | 14 | 11 | 17 | 55 | 54 | +1 | 53

15th | | Bishop's St || 42 | 14 | 9 | 19 | 60 | 73 | -13 | 51

16th | | Thurrock || 42 | 14 | 9 | 19 | 63 | 78 | -15 | 51

17th | | Cambridge City || 42 | 11 | 10 | 21 | 43 | 57 | -14 | 43

18th | | Hayes || 42 | 10 | 9 | 23 | 50 | 65 | -15 | 39

19th | | Yeading || 42 | 8 | 13 | 21 | 46 | 78 | -32 | 37

20th | R | Braintree || 42 | 9 | 10 | 23 | 43 | 78 | -35 | 37

21st | R | Bedford || 42 | 7 | 9 | 26 | 50 | 86 | -36 | 30

22nd | R | Basingstoke || 42 | 5 | 10 | 27 | 41 | 81 | -40 | 25

</pre>

Sunday 29th April 2007

The drawing of the play offs was made and this was the outcome:

Welling United – Fisher Athletic

Dorchester Town - Lewes

The winners of each match, had to face each in the final at Recreation Ground, Aldershot.

Monday 30th April 2007

The first match, we played at home against Lewes and I expected my team to start with a good result, so they needed to be the attacking team in the second match. It was a close match and both teams had chances to score. In the 61st minute Justin Keeler was brought down in the area and the referee pointed towards the spot. It was Justin Keeler himself to take the penalty and score the only goal in this game. We had won the home match, 1-0.

Thursday 3rd May 2007

Lewes had to score in the second match and so they were the one who needed to attack. This gave us a chance to play on the break and that was successful. A corner was taken and a foul was made against Scott Morgan in the area. Again Lewes conceded a penalty and again it was Justin Keeler scoring from the spot. Lewes now needed to score goals but they did not find the goal. Richard Martin was unbeatable today and wanted a clean sheet. In the last minute of the game, it was again Justin Keeler to score on the break and securing our win. We had made it to the final of the play offs and had to face Welling United to win promotion.

Saturday 12th May 2007

An important match for both teams as promotion to the English Conference National was at stake. The media expected Dorchester Town win the match against Welling United. I sure hoped they were right and we would be on the right side of the score when the game was over.

It was a close game in which both teams looked for a goal. It was Welling scoring the goal after 12 minutes and taking a 1-0 lead. But it did not last very long as we turned around the score completely. In about 15 minutes we scored 3 goals. Marvin McDonald headed home a corner to score the equalizer. Matt Groves showed his form of this season and scored 2 goals. This player again played a very important role for our team. Still the match was not over as Welling scored a second goal before half time. In the second half no goals were scored and so we won the match 3-2. So the season was finished and we were going to play in the English Conference National. Dorchester Town had won promotion for the first time ever.

The board and supporters were very pleased with the season. They gave us a warm welcome when we arrived at Avenue Stadium. I stayed in the buss as I thought the players deserved this welcome after a strong match and an excellent season. The supporters yelled every player’s name, when they left the buss. Suddenly it was silence all over the place. Alex Browne stepped back inside and came up to me and pushed me to the door. At the moment the supporters saw me, they again started shouting. For 10 minutes my name was shouted. At this moment I was proud to be part of Dorchester Town. We were successful this season but a difficult season was waiting as this team needed to be strengthened to survive in the Conference National.

Season 2006-2007 Review

3rd in English Conference South

Pkd | Inf | Name | Position | Morale | Form | Con | Apps | Gls | Av Rat

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GK | | Richard Martin | GK | Good | 7-6-8-8-6 | 100% | 37 | - | 6.62

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- | | Ryan Hill | D R | Very Good | 7-7-7-6-6 | 94% | 6 | - | 6.67

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S1 | Wnt | Matt Stowell | D RLC | Very Good | 8-7-7-7-7 | 99% | 24 (9) | - | 6.79

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DC | Wnt | Scott Morgan | D LC | Very Good | 7-7-7-9-7 | 98% | 43 (2) | - | 7.02

S2 | Wnt | Simon Hughes | D LC, DM | Very Good | 6-7-7-7-6 | 95% | 13 (2) | 1 | 6.93

DC | | Alex Browne | D C | Very Good | 7-7-7-7-7 | 98% | 41 | 1 | 7.12

- | | Michael Taylor | D C | Very Good | 6-6-6-6-6 | 95% | 11 (6) | - | 6.88

DL | | Terry Parker | D/WB L | Good | 7-7-7-7-7 | 97% | 42 (2) | - | 6.93

DR | Wnt | Barry McConnell | D/WB/M R | Very Good | 7-6-7-8-7 | 98% | 30 (5) | - | 6.89

DMC | | Mark Jermyn | DM | Very Good | 8-7-7-8-7 | 99% | 20 (6) | 5 | 7.12

MC | | Guy Lopez | DM | Very Good | 8-5-7-7-7 | 98% | 40 (8) | 1 | 7.10

S3 | | James Rowe | M C | Very Good | 6-7-7-6-7 | 97% | 36 (6) | - | 6.93

- | | Sean Smith | M C | Very Good | 7-7-6-6-7 | 94% | 2 (5) | - | 6.57

MR | Wnt | Dean Samuels | AM RL | Very Good | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | 32 (7) | 2 | 6.87

S4 | | Larbi Mekchiche | AM RL, F C | Very Good | 9-7-7-7-7 | 91% | 16 (7) | 2 | 7.04

- | Wnt | Andrew Burke | AM L | Very Good | 7-6-6-7-6 | 95% | 9 (12) | 1 | 6.86

ML | | Justin Keeler | AM L | Very Good | 7-7-7-8-8 | 97% | 39 (7) | 16 | 7.24

- | Inj | David Town | AM/F C | Very Good | 8-8-7-7-8 | 40% | 44 (2) | 13 | 7.07

S5 | | Callum Flanagan | ST | Very Good | 6-6-7-7-7 | 95% | 3 (10) | 1 | 6.62

FC | | Matt Groves | ST | Good | 7-7-7-8-8 | 99% | 51 | 35 | 7.31

- | | Steve Lunt | ST | Very Good | 6-7-7-6-7 | 94% | 1 (26) | 6 | 6.56

FC | | Marvin McDonald | ST | Good | 7-7-6-7-7 | 97% | 15 (6) | 6 | 6.86

</pre>

It was a very good season for the team as we managed to win promotion to the English Conference National. At the start of the season, everyone expected us to finish mid-table. Finishing 3rd in the English National South and winning promotion was a surprise for everyone. But when you look at the table, you see we were the team with lowest number of defeat (3).

When looking at the scorer list, there were 3 players that really topped the list. Matt Groves scored 35 goals and was really on fire this season. Justin Keeler (16) and David Town (13) followed him but with some distance.

For the next season, we will have to make a lot of chances within the squad. I just did not think this team was strong enough for to survive in the English Conference National. So that was our goal for the upcoming months. Looking for decent players that were willing to come and play for Dorchester Town.

Dorchester’s fans’ Player of the Year: Matt Groves

English Conference South

Top Goalscorer: Matt Groves (Dorchester) 27

Most Assist: Justin Keeler (Dorchester) 14

Highest Average rating: Ryan Hall (Sutton) 7.48

Information about awards in Europe

England: Premier Division

Champions: Arsenal

Promotion: Norwich City, Derby County, Sunderland

Relegation: Reading, Portmouth, Sheffield United

England: FA Cup

Winners: Newcastle United