Passing (again) and Closing Down

Well... here's the strange thing...

I get the passing just about right now ... but every time I gotta put my DC's en DL/R's on very direct passing before my assistent stops

saying: We're misplacing way to many easy passes.

Why is this? Is it because I play with 14-16 width? Or high tempo?

Question 2...

I get a lot of : We're not intercepting a lot of balls. (Dunno if that is the sentence in the English language of the game, seeing I play it in dutch)...

I think it has something to do with Closing Down, but I'm not really sure.

Thanks in advance.

you see :( then this happens: (I am Sparta): http://i32.tinypic.com/3469q2u.jpg

Passing and stuff ... all good. but I think closing down is terrible.

Just look at how you are conceding and whether or not there is a 'tweakable' pattern. If you want some fresh eyes on it, upload a pkm of that AZ match and I’ll take a look. Not saying I’ll be able to help but no there’s no harm in trying :)

I am by no means an authority on this but I have spent some time interpreting the AM comments and strongly believe the following:

"We're misplacing way to many easy passes" - means lower tempo ie. take more time and care over your passes :thup:

I think that tactical advice regarding your width setting comes from your scout, not from the AM during the game - so make sure you are scouting your next opposition

Any AM comments regarding interceptions refer to your closing down settings

AM comment of 'Player X is getting skinned' refers to your tackling setting for that player - if he's getting skinned then reduce tackling

These may not necessarily help your game, they have to be used in the overall context of your tactic and the way you want to play - but I can guarantee that once implemented the AM will stay quiet!

Thanks. but about the Player X is getting skinned (which I think is they same a the dutch version I got it) ... I thought it ment he wasnt closing down enough... but if its tackling. If I lower it, the opponent walks right through the defense . :(

Thanks. but about the Player X is getting skinned (which I think is they same a the dutch version I got it) ... I thought it ment he wasnt closing down enough...

Me too when I started playing this version. I think the nuances of the English language are somewhat difficult to decipher and translate into slider positions.

Trust me - reducing tackling for the player being 'skinned' gets rid of this message from the FM - I have tried this and it works.

Being 'skinned' can happen in two ways:

1) the defender attempts a tackle and misses allowing the attacker to dribble past him

2) the defender is severly inferior in terms of raw pace and the attacker is able to knock the ball into space and sprint past the defender.

Easier tackling encourages your player to stay on his feet rather than commit to a tackle which reduces the likelihood of the first case. The second case is addressed by selecting players with comparible physical attributes to their opponent.

The AM comment of 'Player X is being skinned' refers most commonly to the first case. I often see this comment raised against my wingers who have high acceleration + pace and low tackling attributes. Reducing their tackling to easy removes this comment from the AM feedback.

...but if its tackling. If I lower it, the opponent walks right through the defense . :(

Now, eliminating it from the AM feedback is fine but whether a player with easy tackling is beneficial to your tactic is another matter. Only you know how you are set up to play and therefore you are the one to decide this. If it's a problem then perhaps a more capable player is needed.

Exactly! Thanks! Worked like a charm! I'm a lower league club and knocking out Premier Division teams one after the other in the Cup :D

Thanks a million! :D:D:D

ps. What should I look for when asking players to Dont make sliding tackled as PPM ?

Exactly! Thanks! Worked like a charm! I'm a lower league club and knocking out Premier Division teams one after the other in the Cup :D

Thanks a million! :D

ps. What should I look for when asking players to Dont make sliding tackled as PPM ?

Might be another difference in translation - the English PPM version says something like 'doesn't dive into tackles' ???

Not much to look for attributes wise, PPMs tend to supplement attributes in my opinion rather than require them to function - I do prefer to have it for my defenders though.

Very happy to have helped and to hear things are working for you :thup:

Well, all defenders keep declining that PPM. I've heard you gotta look to Balance or something. If its low they'll agree to learn that PPM... but I'm not sure.

You probably know more than me regarding PPMs ;)

You probably know more than me regarding PPMs ;)

Well, thats cool :D than I finally know something more then someone :D

Your advice really seemed to help...

I noticed that I now just raise passing to direct(er) when I'm under pressure (especially the DC's and DL/R's) ... works like a charm.

Also... Creative Freedom is awesome. I just give it to players with high Flair/Decisions... and there ya go! beautiful passes,shots,chips etc ! :D nice!

Thanks again!

I constantly make changes during the game to reflect the AM comments as well. I feel it is the way to play this version of the game and the opposition are making these tweaks to counter our tactics as well.

Yes I do that now too... one thing I noticed... the AI seems to "give up" when they're 2-0 down every half.

So 2-0 after 15 mins? They give up for that half ... then second half they go all out (normally) ... and I just increase Passing to Direct en Tick Counter.

Tough game ... FM2009. :D

Countering:

2v8fsox.jpg

Here's another small problem. I've been playing like this when I try to counter their attacks ... yet still: We're misplacing way to many short passes.

According to TT&F I should have my Defending Players on Direct/Long and Support on Mixed and Attack on short, which I did here. (Yet more direct cause I play lower league) ... but once again: We're misplacing way to many short passes.

Which resultated in terrible, horrible passing stats (I lost 1-0):

ajqwzd.jpg

Archived