Absolutely clueless now ...

I'm so confused ... so many different approaches ... TT&F and stuff ... many many things...

Everytime I read something , I get more confused...

I think I know the game, but I guess not... so difficult...

Here are the things as I know it ( I think I know it):

Mentality: Giving a player instructions to think offensive or defensive.

Creative Freedom: Allowing players to use his Skill (Flair) to give beautiful through balls, back-heels, overhead kick, chips and stuff.

Closing Down: The amount of space the player is allowed to leave from his original defensive position to attack the opponent with the ball.

Passing: Clueless! I'm really confused about this. Short seems great for defenders to simply give the ball to other players, yet every single time

my assistant says: We're misplacing way to many easy passes.

Free Role: Allowing the player to drift out of position to move himself into a free position to receive the ball.

Tempo: Again, difficult ... High tempo to move the ball faster around, yet less posession, weird thing Tempo... again, basicly... clueless.

And then I also get a LOT of problems when facing different formation then my own... For example, when I player 442, they play 433 (so they have extra MC) or 4231 ... really frustrating.

I would love it, if someone would like to help me out a little here. Even though I asked for help before... please give me some pointers about the things I mentioned here. If they're right or just plain dumb :D

Cheers!

Thats a true topic. I am also frustrated :(

Mentality gives the general idea of the game. The higher mentality causes the players forward move increase. Moreover, forward runs and arrows are also related to forward moves. The game can face dilemma in many situations.

Mentality also determines the tempo of the game and pass choices. With the low mentality, players tend to pass shortly and controlled when the tempo can be chosen as fast.

The game is too complex to manage a football team. The tactics should be so easy and clear. We manage the footballers, not the genious scientists :)

Passing style and misplacing too many easy passes

Impossible to say without context. Personally I tend to ignore the assistant feedback but that's just me. The only way to judge is in the 2D as the assistant feedback appears to be quite simplistic. Misplacing passes also tends to be closely related to non tactical effects like morale, motivation and team gelling. Too many illogical TTB settings relative to passing options (which depends not only on your own set up but also the opposition) will also contribute.

Tempo and possession

yes there is a link but it's not hard and fast. So many settings affect possession and again the best way to judge is from the 2D in relation to how you're losing possession and how you're failing to keep possession in a given match. I would suggest ignoring the simple explanations (increase time wasting/lower tempo) and consider the context of what is happening in the match. Hard and fast rules only really work consistently if how the AI approaches your team is consistent.

Mismatched formations

Multiple ways of approaching these scenarios which all depend on your own risk assessment. What I mean by that is in order to combat the extra midfielder you have to shift one of your players in the defensive phase which will then effect where he is in the attacking phase. So for example if I drop my striker back to help this impacts on what happens when we regain possession. Same applies if I decide to use specific man marking with my wingers in a 442. As severe underdogs I've gone so far as to leave the opposition CBs alone in a 433 (442 strikers specific man mark their FBs with CBs never close down OI, MCs set to zonal and specific man marking of outer MCs by wingers all of which I meant I had zero attacking options whenever both FBs pushed on and rode my luck for a 0-0 stalemate; with my attacking coming post keeper save with distribution to a FB).

Creative Freedom

I would add the hollywood long range pass to your list (not too sure about back heels and overheads tbh). In other words a Player set to short passing but with high CF is more likely to ping a 40 yasrd cross field ball to an open man on the opposite flank to the point of attack.

As I said in your other thread, if you want to throw up a pkm I'll take a look when I get the chance. But sometimes with this game you just have to accept it's a simulation of football and take your lumps.

Archived