FM08 FC Twente 8.02 thread - The Tukkers Ride Again

Image:FC-Twente.png

FC Twente (also incorrectly referred to as Twente Enschede) is a Dutch professional football club from the city of Enschede. They play in the Eredivisie.

The club was formed in 1965 as a merger of two professional clubs Sportclub Enschede and the Enschedese Boys. Although the current club has never won the Dutch championship, SC Enschede did, in 1926.

The first successes of the club started just after the merger of 1965, under coach Kees Rijvers. Twente finished 3rd in 1969, 4th in 1970, 5th in 1971, 3rd in 1972 and once again 3rd in 1973. The team's key figures were local heroes, such as Epi Drost, Eddy Achterberg, Kick van der Vall and Theo Pahlplatz. Their finest Eredivisie season was 1973-1974, in which Twente battled for the Dutch championship with Feyenoord. A head-to-head confrontation in the very last game of the season, in Rotterdam, had to bring the decision. Feyenoord were slightly luckier: 3-2. A second slot and a UEFA Cup ticket -- that was all for FC Twente.

However, the Tukkers (as people from Twente are generally called) almost made the very most out of that UEFA Cup ticket. After beating Juventus in the semi-finals, FC Twente lost to German side Borussia Mönchengladbach in the finals.

Things went downhill for Twente after that, and the club was relegated to the Eerste Divisie in 1982. Twente returned to the top flight a year later, but the club soon became known for their amazing number of 1-1 and 0-0 draws. Their new reputation 'boring Twente' overshadowed the fact that the club kept qualifying for European football on a fairly regular basis: five times since 1985.

Re-establishment followed in the 1990s. German coach Hans Meyer led Twente to the third slot in the Eredivisie of 1997 and to the third round of the UEFA Cup the next season. On May 24 2001, Twente clinched the KNVB Cup, beating PSV in the final after being 3-1 down in the penalty shoot-out.

The season thereafter Twente crashed out of the cup against the teenagers of Ajax's second team, results in the league were poor and the hard core Twente fans Ultras Vak-P went on a rampage at the club's brand-new Grolsch Veste out of frustration. The club's mother corporation (FC Twente '65) was declared bankrupt in the 2002-03 season, almost leading to the end of the club's existence. The club survived and made it to another KNVB Cup final in 2004 and struck back with a fantastic Eredivisie season in 2006-07.

SQUAD LIST:

1 GK Sander Boschker

2 DF Rob Wielaert

3 DF Edson Braafheid

4 DF Ramon Zomer

6 MF Wout Brama

7 FW Romano Denneboom

9 FW Blaise Kufo (vice-captain)

10 MF Orlando Engelaar (captain)

11 FW Stein Huysegems

12 DF Jeroen Heubach

13 GK Nikolay Mihaylov (on loan from Liverpool)

14 MF Luke Wilkshire

15 FW Eljero Elia

16 GK Cees Paauwe

17 MF Youssouf Hersi

19 DF Douglas

21 FW Marko Arnautovic

22 DF Niels Wellenberg

23 FW Patrick Gerritsen

24 MF Karim El Ahmadi

25 FW Andrej Rendla

26 MF Qhays Shayesteh

27 MF Ibrahim Maaroufi (on loan from Internazionale)

Famous Players to have ever played for the club.

Kennedy Barkircioglu (The CM Legend)

Ronald De Boer

Giorgi Gakhokidze

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink

Andy Van Der Meyde

----

Key Players:

Blaise N'kufo

Stein Huysegems

Romaro Denneboom

Edson Braafheid

Karim El Ahmadi

---------------

Arch Rivals: FC Groningen, Ajax, Feyenoord, Heracles

-----------------

They are in the UEFA Cup as they will see European action but their budget, staff and players are all average so it's basically your job to turn these players into fine Dutch champions.

ARE YOU UP FOR THE CHALLENGE?

I've never really played in any other leagues apart from England & Scotland on FM 2008 so would you be able to give me some information about; Non Eu Player restrictions, the Dutch league/cup formats etc.

If not, I'll have a look on Wikipedia or something but I might start a game with FC Twente if I get to know abit more about the Dutch game. icon14.gif

I believe the Dutch league has no foreign player limits so you can import as much players as you can, it's how some Dutch clubs can import Asians, Africans, Americans North and South, Mexicans and they don't have a factor on said league.

Also it's more of a challenge cause your up against not only the dutch top 3 of Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord but your part of a select group of very fierce mid table clubs that can easily overtake one of the top 3 in any given chance... I would call it highly competitive.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm FC Twente icon_biggrin.gif on v. 8.0.0

I've signed Aaritalo, Doudin, Curro Montoya and Piatti, Eduardo (from Bahia) and Corradini for the future..

I've also got Lomski and Bjarnason coming in, in January.

My aim is to eventually come the king of dutch football. Come on FC Twente!

Archived