Not enough scoring opportunities - Managing Gillingham

Hi all,

I am managing Gillingham...currently in Cocacola championship after succesful promotion two season in the row. finishing 1rst in league 2 and then 2nd in league 1.

Admit that in these two seasons, my team possessed better players than the rest as I signed reserve players (age 28-34) with good quality from stronger team in premier league or la liga, mostly for free. so I guess any problems in my tactical setup does not seems to harm my promotion to higher league.

Now I am struggling in cocacola championship. I am lying at 13th after 16 rounds. my team hav problem controlling possessions and creating chances. Even in the match that I have more possession, i struggle to create clear cut chances as feedback my manager stated that "if we cant shot, we cant score and we cant win" or "only shot from long distance" or something like that.

My formation is 4-1-3-2 with normal mentality with one strong holding midfielder and one creative MC with two wingers with great cross and dribbling ability. I set my team passing to lower mixed and to lower normal speed (3 sliders below normal). defensive line was at normal and wasting time at rarely.

I noticed that my midfielders seem to pass the ball back and forth to defender before launching direct, long/mid range pass up front (I set my DM and MC to lower direct as they have 12-14 in passing, decision and creativity). This is as if my midfielder is unable to find a way to build up play to opponent final third. This lead me to losing some possession and lack of supply to my strikers. Making my midfielder to short passing range somehow lower their performance rating.

I also noticed that my wingers (I signed two spanish wingers which I think should be among the top wingers in the league) also run with the ball on wing then cross the ball from byline. This usually lead to me losing possession as the crosses mostly are cleared by opponents. I have one striker with 16 jumping and 15 header. My wingers have 15 in both crossing and dribbling.

It seems my team have difficulties passing the ball around while my opponents seem to be so easy to reach my final third with their short passes.

I am not sure what went wrong with my tactics. I have adjusted mentality to 8 - 14 range from the most defensive player to the most offensive player. Two wingers with run with ball and forward run often. Full back to run with ball mixed and forward run mixed.

Any idea how I can tweak the tactics to create more clear cut opportunities?

pancilobak, have a try on my tactic:

http://www.zshare.net/download/646793932570d694/

I like passing game so this is a tactic created by myself based on it. I play it using one team so far and never try by the others, but I hope this help.

I am still working on this tactic so I would like to hear for your feedback. Cheers.

thanks Nevrin, will try that out..

My squad are not the strongest in coca cola championship though. Media predict that my team finish at 19th. I have around 3 premier league level players (2 wingers and 1 CB). The rest has quite decent attributes, around 12-14 for attributes that s important for their positions.

Performing better than the media prediction is always good for a manager, but getting better and better is what we are aiming for. So I hope that you can drive your team to a greater success.

My tactic above, like I have mentioned, is based on passing game. Normally I get 80% and above of individual passing completion for my players. Therefore, having good passing stat for this tactic is an advantage and I am sure your players do have since some of them are good.

I am looking forward to your feedback, good or bad one doesn't matter lol. Thanks for having a trial.

afaik being limited to long shots means you dont have enough people pushing forward when you have the ball

the player with the ball has few passing options, so he attempts the long-range effort (for me usually with pitifull accuracy)

im still trying to fix this in my 433 tactic, so i can't give a full solution.

Mentality, Foward Runs, Run with Ball, Crossing, Passing & Through Balls all need to be looked at, and maybe closing down/creative freedom too.

OI's seem to be much more important than in 07. 433 is much weaker in midfield than a 442, and i frequently have a smaller midfield possession ratio than the AI for the first few minutes, but with the AssMan feedback i can quickly match and outplay the AI midfield

breaking down thier attacks before they start.

It's hard to judge what changes are effective as each match is different from the last. (even reloading the same match can give wildly different results though in theory they should average out over a fixed set of replays)

Archived