one twos/ triangles/ long balls

three questions here guys..

-i've looked around here and i havent been able to find a thread dedicated to one of the most important components to stylish football- the one two. i'm imaging it requires both short passing and through balls? but can someone go into detail with this subject, so that these moves can be utilised as frequently as possible

- likewise..the passing triangle that almost seems to be skipped when people talk about attractive passing with the utility that a team always seems to be making passing triangles between any combination of three players (obviously), again im guessing it involves short passing but also possibly formation? again can this be explored in depth for this dummies sake

- thirdly and final the long balls, ah the long balls and how i hate them so, playing a short passing stylish game can be interrupted when occassionally a defender hoofs the ball upfield even if a passing option is available, again im guessing short passing, possibly through balls are involved?

thanks guys

making triangles is hard with a 4-4-2. You'd have to make sure the strikers drop deep in order to be involded. However play a 4-4-1-1 and the AMC on free roll and there will be lots of triangles (atleast in theory) since he will be available between the lines.

the defenders hoofing it, ah yes. It seems that ticking counter-attack makes the defendes think that they should start a counter every single time they're on the ball, hence hoofing it long. Also if they're on low mentality they will be more inclined to make low risk actions so if they're pressured they will probably hoof it despite having other viable passing options

• 5 weeks later...

Triangles require players to stagger how high and wide they're playing up the pitch. That can be accommodated through formation, where you have explicit triangles built into the positions (a diamond midfield or a 4-2-3-1, for example), or through mentality, as in the usual 4-4-2 setup where one central midfielder plays on a lower mentality than the rest of the team and one plays higher. Of course, none of that matters if you're playing long ball and your players aren't moving off the ball. Probably the best settings for quick one-twos and triangles (at least as far as I've been able to do it) are one notch above short passing and right around the middle for tempo. Too low for the tempo and you don't get enough off-the-ball movement and you allow the defense to anticipate the pass; too high and your players won't have enough time to allow the little give-and-go runs to develop.

I can't remember exactly the settings, except they had both short passing, but i got my AMC and ST to play one-two's on one of my goes on 08.

I know it's not exactly a solution to your question but 4-3-2-1 (with three MC's) and a short passing game is great for triangles.

Archived