Any good 4-4-2 tactic?

I tend to play a 4-4-2 >>>patient<<< but >>>possessioning<<< kind of football. To create my tactic I use my experience as amateur footballer, but i didnt have the greatest luck! lol ;-)

(I tried to adjust with only small changes from match to match but sacked as number 14 in january with liverpool obviously indicates huge problems.)

The easiest answer to my qustions is to post a tactic then i can compare all instructions my self.

Anyway this is my lines:

9 11

↑ ↑ ↑

8 10 6 7

↑ ↑

3 5 4 2

↓ ↓

I've always found the thing with playing 4-4-2 is that the balance has to be right. If you're playing with two attack minded central midfielders and attacking fullbacks you can leave your team exposed at the back. If you're looking to dominate possession against a weaker team it's open in my experience better to use a higher tempo, move the ball around quicker, especially in the final third. An approach that is too slow in it's build up especially against decent teams just allows them to reorganise every time the ball moves and snuff out the attack, unless you have an extremely creative midfield player who can pick out a defence-splitting pass.

But if you're looking for a good 4-4-2 attacking 4-4-2 tactic, there's a good role theory 4-4-2 on the tactics thread.

Archived