Deutschland über alles - The Return

Harleqin

October 2010

Flying high both domestically and in Europe we returned home to Siegen where the applause of the faithful fans warmed us all. I could only home that we would see a rise in the attendance as well. A season high was our reward as we welcomed HSV, but sadly they didn’t see us at our best until the last half hour where we turned 0-1 to 3-1. Even so, the points are still very welcome.

Yet another big signing came through then as the Dutch U-21 talent Bas de Boer, no relation, signed on the dotted line from Twente for £6,25m. A versatile defender he is mainly signed for the future, but will get his chances.

We stayed at home, this time being visited by Leverkusen. Once again the front men Carew and Tonelli were the architects behind the win as they both scored in our 2-1 defeat of the visitors. To make it even more perfect they even required a penalty in order to put it past us. We really look set for winning it all this season.

Even with a few players injured and some ineligible we are still a strong side and I wanted to settle the UEFA cup clash with Red Star Belgrade already in the first leg at the Leimbachstadium. Just 9000 fans turned up to watch the match, but at least those few were given a treat as we beat the Serbian side 3-0.

Our fourth home game in a row came against Offenbach, a team not rated too highly by me. Gladly we also had Nardiello back and to make room for him I benched Tonelli since Carew has been so impressive. The big Norwegian didn’t disappoint as he scored yet again in a match we should have won with about 4-5 goals instead of with the much smaller 2-1 scoreline.

The second round of the German Cup was close to being a complete walkover as we entertained VfB Stuttgart from the second division. The difference in the strength and skill of the players were staggering. 4-1 and we’re moving on.

It had been a spectacular month with nothing but wins and hopefully we could round it off that way as well as we visited Schalke 04. A defensive-minded Schalke gave us serious problems though. A strong defence and dangerous counterattacking meant that they were actually the most dangerous side in a first half that saw both teams score once. They continued their dominance in the second half and even had a goal ruled out so all things considered I was happy to receive a point thanks to the 1-1 draw.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

November 2010

The trip to Serbia in the cup turned out to be a nice affair. The home side didn’t really believe in their chance to put four against us. A quiet match unfolded and ended with a 1-1 score which was more than enough to send us through.

Safely back in Germany we prepared for the visit of Union Berlin. With just one man out injured we were at our strongest as the East Germans came. To their credit they struggled long and fought with passion, but even that was not enough to stop Carew and Nardiello as the two strikers shared the goal in our 2-0 triumph.

Our next opponent was also from Berlin, but this time we faced Hertha and had to do it in the capital. Even so, we were at our strongest for the first time during the season and we were high on confidence. They played exceptionally well though almost beating us if Nardiello hadn’t saved us with a goal two minutes before full time to level the score at 2-2.

Maybe it was for the best that we only drew at Hertha as it meant the squad was more prepared against Lübeck. It never became a goal feast, but keeping a clean sheet and scoring twice ourselves was more than adequate.

The third round of the UEFA Cup sent us to Holland once again, this time to face Heerenveen. It’s becoming clear that the opposition is getting better and this time we had to settle for a narrow 1-0 win thanks to a John Carew goal. To top it off it makes it 15 games unbeaten which is a new Siegen record. Sadly though, it is not visible in the league where Dortmund and FC Bayern are both keeping up.

The awaymatch at Bochum quickly became problematic. While Tonelli gave us the lead after two minutes we were reduced to ten men in the 5th minute when Clément made an idiotic tackle. Just minutes later Weissenberger were injured ruling half our defence out after just eleven minutes. Needless to say we had no chance against such odds but thankfully managed to keep it down to a 1-2 defeat. Still, the stupidity after five minutes might very well have cost us three points.

December 2010

Our first task this month was welcoming Dortmund to Siegen for the clash of the titans in the third round of the German Cup. We gave a debut to de Boer in the absence of Weissenberger and a harder debut would be hard to get. To his credit he played well in our 1-3 defeat. I hate to admit it, but we’re still a long way from the class that Dortmund has.

Our last home fixture during 2010 came against Darmstadt. Following that we would have three away games and we longed to give the crowd a good farewell. The red-hot Tonelli in particular wanted to show the fans that he is strong as always despite the competition from Carew. With both of our goals in the 2-0 win he made he’s mark and announced his return high and loud.

Hot on the heels of two away defeats I felt a little trepidation as we travelled to Heerenveen looking to book our ticket to the fourth round. I had nothing to fear though as the amazing Tonelli netted five (5) times icon_eek.gif giving us a surprisingly strong 5-1 win. I’m amazed. After being on the bench for about eight games he has returned and scored in every single match since.

Not surprisingly the five goals in one match by a single player for a new record for the competition and we were the hot talk after the match being touted as the coming winners of the tournament, something I am indeed aiming for us to do.

After that stunning victory I was concerned for our clash with Bayern in their own den. Would the players be ready for the challenge or were they still riding high? I was not disappointed. The match was close as expected, but we still edged out the 2-1 win thanks to goals from Petitfrére and Tonelli while the home team had to use a penalty to pass Gombert.

We stayed in Munich after the match as we had to play 1860 just three days later. No reason to leave just to go back again. The players were getting tired though and I made about four changes to the team that beat Bayern hoping that the weakened side would still be strong enough. I shouldn’t have doubted. Once again Tonelli scored and this time he was helped by his teammates as we won it 4-0 without breaking a sweat. We are so on our way up!

Finally we travelled up the the North Sea to face Werder at Bremen, the last match in what has been a long season so far. For once we had a collective off day though and not only didn’t we score, we also lost 0-2 to a team struggling not to get relegated. How humiliating.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">************************************************************************************************

German First Division - Wednesday 22nd December 2010

************************************************************************************************

================================================================================================

2010/1 Table

================================================================================================

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st SF Siegen 17 8 0 0 19 3 4 2 3 18 14 38

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd FC Bayern 18 8 0 1 24 10 3 2 4 15 19 35

3rd Dortmund 17 7 2 0 16 1 3 2 3 11 12 34

4th SVW Mannheim 18 5 0 3 15 9 4 4 2 10 10 31

5th Bochum 18 7 2 1 21 9 2 1 5 8 14 30

6th Union Berlin 18 7 0 1 13 5 2 2 6 9 15 29

7th Nürnberg 18 8 0 2 25 10 1 1 6 11 16 28

8th Hertha BSC 18 6 4 0 23 6 1 2 5 7 15 27

9th HSV 18 7 1 0 21 8 1 2 7 7 21 27

10th Schalke 04 17 7 1 1 18 5 1 1 6 6 16 26

11th 1860 München 18 3 2 4 16 17 4 1 4 14 18 24

12th 1.FC Köln 17 5 3 2 15 12 2 0 5 9 18 24

13th Leverkusen 18 4 2 2 11 9 1 3 6 6 17 20

14th Offenbach 18 3 2 3 9 9 2 1 7 8 14 18

15th Lübeck 18 4 2 2 12 6 0 3 7 4 17 17

16th Werder Bremen 18 4 3 3 18 13 0 1 7 5 16 16

17th Dynamo Dresden 18 2 2 6 8 15 2 1 5 6 13 15

18th Darmstadt 18 3 3 2 10 11 0 0 10 4 29 12

</pre>

January 2011

A rough overhaul was given of the squad again to reduce our wage bill. While some players complain that we need more players than we have, I’d like to aim for a squad of 25, maybe with a few young talents too.

Also, I’d like to reduce our age and thus when offers started to come in for Jorginho, I listened to them. He has 18 months left on his contract, but it is no longer protected. As a high-earning Brazillian I wasn’t too upset when offer started coming in and eventually he was sold to Bochum for £4,9m. While he is a good player, it was time to cash in. Also, I’d like him to have a better shot at first-team football as he has served us loyally for 6½ years.

Replacing him, sort of, was Iker Casillas whom the new Bordeaux manager didn’t want to use. Well, at the age of 31 I’m only happy to pay a million for a keeper of his skills. Whether he can oust Gombert remains to be seen though.

After the winter break we finally returned to action, starting out with a match that had been postponed due to cupsuccess. The dreaded away tie with Dortmund. It got off to a lively start with both teams scoring in the first twenty minutes. We even played best, but they still took a 2-1 lead due to clinical finishing from the tósser, Henry. With no further goals Dortmund moved to within a point of us.

The second and last match we had that month was back home at Leimbachstadium where we were welcomed back by around 24,000 fans. A sweet 4-0 win saw us get back to our winning ways and hopefully we can keep it up throughout spring.

A fantastic player, no question about that, but a despicable little **** of a human being (by most accounts). And in any case, his huge talent did not prevent him from being the worst player at the Euro...

Shame on you, Thierry icon13.gif Then again, what can you expect from someone who is willing to appear in a Nike advert... icon_rolleyes.gif

February 2011

With our competitors winning their games we faced the hard task of getting something from our clash with Mannheim. Time and again we besieged the home goal, but their keeper was having one of those days. Nothing we fired off got past him and as such it wasn’t surprising it finished goalless nor that their keeper took the MoM award.

Having lost our first place we needed to get back to winning and hope that Dortmund would slip. We had no problems in beating Dresden 4-1, but with our rivals winning too, we were still trailing them.

We were lucky not to drop points at Leverkusen. We made several defensive mistakes unlike normal and they punished us for it twice. Thankfully we still won it 3-2 thanks to some good offensive work, but I hate cutting it that close. It looks like we’re in for a close finish in the league.

If one match can be said to decide the title, then this could very well be it. There will still be 11 matches after it, but this one, our home tie with Dortmund would be vital. Even more important, we need the win to boost our morale as they’ve already beaten us twice this year. Once again they caused us all kinds of problems, but the defence held firm with Casillas in top form. Luckily the vital first goal went our way thanks to Farnerud after 77 minutes. After that Dortmund came with a last push, but it wasn’t to be as we emerged victorious and opened a small gap.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OMDave:

Shame on you, Thierry icon13.gif Then again, what can you expect from someone who is willing to appear in a Nike advert... icon_rolleyes.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only did he flop at the Euro's, he also had to wear Nike-footwear, so the c*nt got what he deserved icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OMDave:

A fantastic player, no question about that, but a despicable little **** of a human being (by most accounts). And in any case, his huge talent did not prevent him from being the worst player at the Euro...

Shame on you, Thierry icon13.gif Then again, what can you expect from someone who is willing to appear in a Nike advert... icon_rolleyes.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

was he really as bad as the goal-scoringly-challenged Pauleta? but i agree that he does seem like a posing ******. and i agree that this is still a top read icon14.gif

Cheers Simon icon_smile.gif I'm happy you like it

-------

March 2011

Well, the hard games are standing in line it seems as we welcome Arsenal to the Leimbachstadium for the first leg of the fourth round in the UEFA Cup. Disappointly we only drew a crowd of 18,000 for the clash with one of the best English sides. They were quite good, but even so I’d say Dortmund is even better. Annoyingly they scored in the 88th to reduce our win to just 2-1 and that will make the return leg much trickier.

In a stroke of luck Dortmund lost a match giving us a chance to go seven points clear if we could beat HSV in Hamburg. Naturally we blew it thanks to really incompetent refereeing which saw both Gombert and Nuno Mata sent off. HSV also had a player sent off, but still won it 3-2. No less than three of the goals in the game coming from penalties.

Flying out to London we prepared to surprise Arsenal with an attacking approach instead of trying for a goalless draw. It worked a treat as we won it 2-1 yet again despite being a goal down for most of the match. It could have been much different though, as Saviola had three goals ruled out for off-side. Nice to know that out off-side trap works though.

Back in the league we entertained Nürnberg and though we were pleased that they had recently beaten Dortmund, we didn’t intent to give them any presents. Of course my idiotic players didn’t listen. Lining up in the defensive counter the visitors had 5 shots and scored 3 times to consign us to a 2-3 defeat. To top it off Förster was injured and Petitfrére sent off! icon_mad.gif

Back to Europe once more and again we started off at home as the Danish champions of Viborg paid us a visit. Amazingly the Danish team managed a 1-1 draw despite being played off the park. Their keeper took almost everything we sent at him and then they converted the only shot they had on target. How unfair.

We don’t have time to go and mull over poor results. The fixtures are packed now and after a few days of rest we were off to Offenbach. Clément opened the scoring with his first goal for the club and Cappa doubled the lead. Easily holding the hosts at bay we picked up three more vital points.

Flying out to Denmark to play Viborg we knew that only a win would do it for us. Unless we got some 2-2 result or better of course, but it’s like that is something that ever happens icon_wink.gif

The match turned out to be a thrill. They played much better than expected and it wasn’t until the 65th minute when Lorentzen was sent off that we started getting into the game. A double substitution also helped and after 82 minutes Nardiello rose to make it 1-1. Extra time provided no goals and we had to decide on penalties. When Gombert saved the very first shot from Hjalte Bo Nørregaard after Jakic had scored I was in heaven. We had a clear advantage and as all our remaining four shooters scored we were through to the semi finals.

I was shocked too as Viborg are ****e IRL. I actually had another scare in the next round.

Don't mind hijacking it. It racks up the posts and the views icon_wink.gif

----

April 2011

Though we are really looking forwardd to playing Nantes soon, we still have to maintain focus on the league. With eight games left here there is plenty of time yet for things to go wrong. Bochum have been doing well this season, but still we easily took a 2-0 lead leading me to make a triple substitution. Young Bas de Boer was particularly impressive when he came on. He should have a major future ahead as well.

We were at our strongest possible as we made the trip to Nantes for our cup semi final. A good result here would take us a long way toward the final and hopefully we could pull it off. Losing Nardiello to injury was a blow, but even so we were good enough to win it 3-1. In pure spite Nantes then also injured Förster icon_mad.gif

We flew straight to Berlin after the match to prepare for the encounter with Union and not have to waste time on a stop-over. It seemed to do the trick well enough as we won it 2-1 and maintained a four-point lead over Dortmund.

We had the pleasure of a short rest after that fixture before we welcomed Schalke 04 to Siegen. We still had a few minor injuries, but our team should be strong enough to do the work. Tonelli opened the action with his 20th goal of the season and Petitfrére extended the lead. Carew also got a brace and in the end the scoredboard flashed 5-1. Even as vital Dortmund was held to a draw. It looks very good now.

Even with our lead from the first leg I still fielded the strongest possible side when Nantes came to town. Disturbingly they did take the lead, but a Carew strike eased our sudden worries. Disappointly less than 18,000 were present to watch the match, but at least they got the pleasure of Shockingly they then scored twice more to level the aggregate score. Three goals out of four chances. Impressive. Twice we had perfectly valid penalty appeals turned down and it looked like going to be a shootout. Then, three minutes before the end of extra time, we finally did, Petitfrére scoring the decisive goal sending us into the UEFA cup final.

While the prospect of the final against Auxerre was extremely exciting we couldn’t help but feel sorry for Nuno Mata who would be suspended there. Also, there was still a title race on domestically.

As Dortmund lost again we had a great opportunity at Lübeck to all but secure the title. A win would give us a 9 point lead with four rounds remaining. Only one goal was scored and as it came from the foot of Cappa I could only be happy. Nothing will stop us now! Looking at the table and the fact that our two closest pursuers have to play each other it looks even better.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

1st SF Siegen 30 13 0 1 37 8 8 3 5 29 22 66

2nd Dortmund 30 11 4 0 26 3 6 2 7 20 19 57

3rd SVW Mannheim 30 10 2 3 31 13 7 4 4 14 12 57

4th FC Bayern 30 12 0 3 33 14 5 3 7 23 31 54

</pre>

************************************************************************************************

Sportfreunde Siegen – Fixtures

1.5.11 Hertha BSC H First Division --- -----

8.5.11 Darmstadt A First Division --- -----

15.5.11 Werder Bremen H First Division --- -----

18.5.11 Auxerre FRA N UEFA Cup Final --- -----

21.5.11 1860 München H First Division --- -----

BV Borussia Dortmund ************************************************************************************************

30.4.11 SVW Mannheim H First Division --- -----

8.5.11 HSV A First Division --- -----

14.5.11 Offenbach H First Division --- -----

21.5.11 Union Berlin A First Division --- -----

28.5.11 FC Bayern N German Cup Final --- -----

SV Waldhof Mannheim ************************************************************************************************

30.4.11 Dortmund A First Division --- -----

8.5.11 Nürnberg H First Division --- -----

14.5.11 Schalke 04 A First Division --- -----

21.5.11 Bochum H First Division --- -----

</pre>

While we didn’t play until the following day Dortmund and Mannheim settled their score and with a 2-0 defeat Mannheim were out of the race.

May 2011

We knew as we took to the pitch that a win today would all but guarantee the title as our goal difference is superior to Dortmunds. Still, Hertha couldn’t be expected to go down without a fight Even so we were determined to be victorious and thanks to a strike from Farnerud we did emerge victorious. One more point will secure it mathematically so celebrations will have to wait. Even so, it it now in the bag.

An interesting game was waiting for us. A win would mean we were champions while it could at the same time condemn Darmstedt to relegation. This meant that the stakes were high for both teams and that promised a great match. Farnerud scored to set us on the path and as Tonelli netted a brace it was certain. 3-0 to us and nothing else mattered as we had collected the title after a truly brilliant season. It also meant relegation for Darmstadt and I couldn’t help but feel a little sorry for them.

Having clinched the title I felt it was time to play some of those lesser used players in the last league games to ensure all were fit for the final at Wembley. The home tie with Werder Bremen was one long celebration in the stands and the players really enjoyed it. Even resting 4 first team players we were strong enough to win it 3-1, the goals coming from Förster and Farnerud.

And then…. It was time to go to Wembley.

Pre-match warm-up

SkySportsOne

Speak: And we now go live to the SkySports studio at Wembley stadium where we will see the UEFA Cup final between Siegen and Auxerre.

An intro showing goals from earlier in the competition follows while playing the UEFA Cup tune. It then fades out to reveal the host Simon Parker

SP: Hi there and welcome to the UEFA Cup final between Germans, SF Siegen, and the French side AJ Auxerre. I’m your host Simon Parker and with me in the studio are Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger and Christian Wörns, the assistant manager of German side Nürnberg. Welcome to both of you.

Let’s have a look at how the two teams made it here. Siegen had to take the long road starting in the InterTOTO-cup where they knocked out Zwolle, Montpellier and finally Seville to be allowed into the cup. Following that they first eliminated Vardar of Macedonia, then Serbian side Red Star Belgrade and in the third round they faced Heerenveen. In the fourth round some of the teams knocked out of the Champions Cup entered and here Siegen eliminated Arsena, then Viborg after a penalty shootout and finally the defending holders from Nantes. The clash with Nantes gave them problems as both games ended with a 3-1 win for the away side.

Auxerre first played Dinamo Tirana and then Villareal. The third round saw them eliminate Hibs and then Malaga of Spain. After that they encountered the Norwegian champions of Rosenborg, but it wasn’t until the semi final that were really faced with a strong side as they played Juventus. A goal scored at the Delle Alpi made all the difference there as they progressed to the final on the away goals rule.

Arsene, your team faced Siegen. What is your take on them?

AW: They are certainly a good side as we learned. They beat us in both games and displayed great defensive ability as we got caught in their offside trap several times. Their midfield is also strong and their attack is one of the best in Europe. They are packed with stars; Tonelli, Nardiello, Farnerud, Petitfrére are all wellknown names even if Farnerud as the oldest is only 29.

CW: Also players like Gombert and Förster are in the Germany squad, but basically every player is either a full international, an U-21 star or a massive talent. They won the league this season though they were expected to finish outside the top 3. The manager, von Mannstein, spent a fortune this season to improve the team and to his credit they have been just what they needed.

SP: This is von Mannsteins second stay at the club and he spend almost £50m during the season. Are they the German Chelsea?

CW: No, not really. While the players have been expensive he has gone determinedly for young players who have either broken through or are just about it so they have the basis for doing well for years to come. Also, they have made no secret of the fact that the Champions Cup is their ultimate goal.

SP: Auxerre have finished fourth in their league this year Arsene, suffering no less than 11 defeats. What is your take on them?

AW: Auxerre have a very talented team and last won the title in 2007. Last year they only finished 9th in the table, but entered the cup thanks to their win in the French Cup. They normally play a 4-4-2 formation and rely especially on their strong defence. They don’t have the stars that Siegen does, but instead have a strong collective and a tactically strong manager.

SP: Who will you name as the stars of the teams. Christian, Siegen?

CW: Well, David Nardiello is a huge name. He is not really scoring as much as could be expected, but he is constantly playing well and in the thick of the action. He has just been capped by England and his confidence is sky high. Also, I’d recommend people to watch out for Tonelli, Petitfrére and Cheyrou in defence. They are really something special.

AW: I agree. For Auxerre it is mostly their striker Boubacar Baldé who is the star. He has scored 36 times this season from 45 appearences and is topscorer in France by a mile. He’s not very fast, but strong in the air and with a superb finish. Other than that the players to look out for are Norbert and Coulibaly.

SP: I am sorry to interrupt, but we just got the line-ups.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

SF SIEGEN

1. Marcel Gombert

2. Davide Musella

3. Benjamin Clément

4. Stephan Rill

5. Michael Weissenberger

7. Alexander Farnerud

8. Alexandre Petitfrére

9. Fabio Tonelli

10. Daniel Nardiello

11. Martin Förster ©

20. Yves Cheyrou

Subs:

6. Panagiotos Manikas

13. Dalibor Vukcevic (gk)

16. John Carew

17. Gábor Gyepes

22. Stipan Jakic

23. Mariano Cappa

24. Bas de Boer

AJ AUXERRE

1. Luiz Chávez

2. Samir Beloufa

6. Bernard Jeann-Elle

13. Sergiuy Shyschenko ©

15. Pascal Feindonou

20. Cyril da Silva

21. Ronan Bernard

22. Guillame Norbert

23. Boubacar Baldé

25. Adama Coulibaly

37. Ousmane Sanou

Subs:

14. Hussein Al-Harbi (gk)

16. Ludovic Duschene

24. Karim Ziani

30. Vincent Trohel

34. Daniel Abiven

36. Milos Dimitrijevic

38. Slavisa Stevanovic

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

UEFA CUP FINAL 2011 - TACTICS

SF SIEGEN ================================================================================================

Gombert

Musella Weissenberger Cheyrou Clément

Förster Rill Petitfrére

Farnerud

Tonelli Nardiello

AJ AUXERRE ================================================================================================

Chávez

Beloufa Coulibaly Jean-Elle Norbert

Feindouno Da Silva Shyschenko Bernard

Sanou Baldé

</pre>

SP: Right then, we are close to kick-off. Any predictions?

CW: I think Siegen will win it 4-1.

AW: I think 2-0 to the Germans.

SP: Alright, time to get over to our commentators, Gary Lineker and Dave Mitchell. We’ll be back at half time.

FIRST HALF

DM: Welcome live here to Wembley where we are only a few minutes from kick-off. Both teams lining up as expected.

GL: Yeah, and both teams are at their strongest with only Siegen missing their Portuguese international, Nuno Mata.

DM: Note too that Siegen are playing with Gombert in goal as their Spanish keeper Iker Cassilas is cup-tied. Referee is the Dutchman Joop Kanamate…. And… we’re off!

12th minute

DM: That doesn’t look good. Sanou are wriggling in pain. Let’s look at the re-play…. Yes, there… he lands and twists his knee.

GL: It has to hurt landing with such force. I’m not sure he will be able to continue.

DM: You’re right Auxerre is sending on Abiven to replace him.

27th minute

DM: Farnerud with the ball. This could get dangerous. It’s a good run he is on…ohhh! What a bad tackle there from da Silva. That’ll be a yellow card. Yes, no doubt about it.

GL: Yeah, they know they have to stop the Swede and they are doing it anyway they can. Lot’s of respect between the two teams.

DM: We can only hope that they get over it soon as this first half hasn’t exactly been exciting.

30th minute

DM: Bernard gets hold of the ball…. Here comes the cross to the far post… Baldé is there… BALDÉ… OHHHH…. What a save from Gombert! It’s not safe yet… Abiven has it…. He passes it to Baldé…. And a good intercepting clearance there from Cheyrou. He should have shot himself.

GL: Excellent play here from Auxerre and a very good save from Gombert. I think everybody saw that ball go in.

SECOND HALF

DM: Welcome back to the second half of the UEFA Cup final between Siegen and Auxerre. So far it has been a quiet match dominated by two great defences. Siegen has enjoyed the majority of possession, but the best chance fell to Auxerre. Gary, what will we see in the second half?

GL: I think both teams will push forward to get the winning goal. The quality is surely there.

53rd minute

DM: Good ball through to Tonelli… he is clear now… OHHHH! That has to be a penalty. He was brought down by Chávez… but the referee is silent. I’d sure like to see that again.

GL: It was a great pass and Tonelli tried to round the keeper though he probably should have shot instead. There is no question about the penalty, but protests won’t help.

DM: Nothing has been awarded so it’s still goalless here at Wembley.

57th minute

DM: Here’s Nardiello with the ball… he finds Musella on the right… good move there by Musella… he SHOOTS…. OHHH! Great save by Chávez. That could so easily have been a goal. Great teamwork between Nardiello and Musella. It will be a corner.

61st minute

DM: And Siegen with a substitution here. Out goes captain Martin Förster and in comes Mariano Cappa. The captain signalled he was tired and got subbed. The Argentine midfielder coming on has great technique and should be a treat to watch.

90th minute

DM: That’s the final whistle. We are going to extra time. Gary, who will win this and will we even get a goal?

GL: Well, if you look at the stats Auxerre have had 4 shots at goal and Siegen 9, with respectively 2 and four on target. That is not a lot and with the form the keepers are in it could very easily go to penalties.

DM: The match has swung though. Siegen have really started getting their play together in the last twenty minutes while the Auxerre players are starting to look really tired.

GL: Yeah, the Germans have played extra time a few times already during the tournament and they know what it takes to last through out it. If you look at them they still appear very fit and ready. They have exceptional stamina.

DM: The players have gotten their water and we’re ready to kick off the extra time.

• 2 weeks later...

DM: No substitutions during the small break. We are to play two times 15 minutes of extra time with Golden Goal in effect. This means that if either team score, then the match is over with the scoring team winning.

GL: True. Most likely this will cause both teams to play cautiously as they know there is no hope whatsoever of fighting back if the concede.

DM: Farnerud with the ball here…. Good tackle by Beloufa. Good pass to Coulibaly… he finds Bernard…on to Abiven…. Ohh…. That’s a poor pass. Musella with the interception… he plays it long… Petitfrére passes to Farnerud who finds Cappa… Cappa now moving forward with the ball… what will the Argentine technician do… he has come on as a substitute and really revived his career this season… here comes the cross….. and here’s RILL… RILL….. RILL SCORES! It’s 1-0 Siegen. What a well-timed jump and what a fantastic cross! Stephan Rill, the young midfielder has done it! He’s almost played more in Europe than in the league and now he gives Siegen the win! It’s all over! Siegen 1 Auxerre 0, the Germans win the UEFA Cup. What a triumph.

GL: It is amazing. Siegen had to go through the Inter-TOTO just to get here and now they’ve won the entire thing along with the German title. Manager von Mannstein has really turned some things around since coming and is rapidly becoming a new deity to the local fans.

DM: This is really an amazing story. From being a club nobody outside of Germany had ever heard of they now stand with a major trophy and the spoken ambition of winning the Champions League. Question is if they can do it.

GL: They might need a player or two, but I’m confident that they have a team strong enough to make an impact. We will know in a couple of months.

DM: That we will. And here, with pictures of Siegen getting the trophy, this is Gary Lineker and Dave Mitchell saying thank you and goodnight.

Archived