[FM2007] San Marino "double" Challenge

Ter

So my first league match is away to Teramo, with some pretty damning odds to deal with.

Starting XI:

GK Emiliano Dei

DRC Riccardo Bruschetta

DC Roberto Di Maio

DLC Michele Florindo

MR Davide Tedoldi

ML Alessandro Turchetta

MRC Francesco Giorgetti

MC Matteo Nevicati

MLC Tommaso Coletti

ST Sergio Comba

ST Giovanni Abate

still having problems with fitness so the subs will constantly be on guard.

A dark shadow is cast over matchday today as manager Marc Ackter is feeling distinctly under the weather. His inspirational pre-match team talk will hopefully do it's job.

on 35 minutes it all goes wrong with Alessandro Rado of Teramo ripping through the San Marinese defence like it was tissue paper.

At half time the team are barely standing on their feet, it's hard to tell how they could make the second half. 3 changes can't be good, but needs must. Ceccarelli, Napolitano and Bisello Ragno come on for Nevicati, Giorgetti and Florindo.

This won't be pretty.

Abate with a stunning 55th minute equaliser gives hope for San Marino, but theit plummeting fitness levels mean it can only be a matter of time till they capitulate. Miraculously Comba manages to take the lead on 80 minutes with Napolitano earning and scoring a penalty on the 83rd to seal the unlikely victory.

Teramo 1 - 3 San Marino

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Optimistic Dave:

I have a quick question:

When managing San Marino the club, do you have to sign and play only San Marinan players? if you can sign foreigners, do they gain San Marino nationality having played at the club for a certain period of time?

Cheers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No restrictions at all, most of their players are Italian, although the youth team players are San Marinese.

Not sure if they become Italian/San Marinese or don't gain a nationality at all? Anyone else know?

I also noticed Del Prete, only 15 at the start but looks quite promising for a San Marinese player.

Well the pre-season is over for me now, and despite some fairly dismal results (against better teams, mind) I think I'm in a good position. I know from experience I'm heading headfirst towards bankrupcy at breakneck speed anyway, so I blew my whole transfer budget while I still had it on 8 new players, including alexfernandezso9.jpgthis gem from an old team of mine, C.D. Toledo. The fans were delighted with him, and another one, so they like my ambition already. I have a mostly new backroom staff in as well, and I'm trying to set up nicely for mid to longer term, getting myself into the Serie B.

If anyone's setting up their game, I reccommend setting their nationality to Poland/San Marino. Poland is in the EU and has a wealth of star talents with incredibly low expectations, and as its eastern Europe you cant scout it until you can scout 'continent' instead of region. It'll be well worth it, I should have chosen that instead of my real Scotland. The San Marinese second nationality gives you Italian language, and also would have you well set for the nation job coming up in the future.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oktober:

Gah, i've been doing this long enough I should have got that link right. Here is my lovely player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He should be useful, doesn't look easy finding decent players for the lower leagues with pace.

I've got Cailungo, a semi-pro San Marinese club as a feeder club. The other choices were Italian clubs, and an amateur San Marinese club. Should be able to get a small Italian club next.

The San Marino league isn't a playable league, you can't select it. You have to retain all San Marino players so you have the possibility of managing the national team.

I'm running all the big ones from Europe (plus Scotland and Wales because I like them), and MLS and A-League as gateways to open up Oceania, Asia and North/South American awards and continental competitions.

Two competitive games in, and I feared the worst when I conceded after 8 minutes in the first highlight versus Ancona. I recovered to beat them 3-1 though, and beat C2 Prato 5-0 at home in my second game, all without my star striker I posted who's out with a broken jaw for a month.

Bit early to be hopelessly optomistic though, since last time I aced the Serie C Cup group and then struggled a lot in the league.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mwalker99:

oh ok im probably being stupid but how do you do that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you start a new game its on the screen where you choose the leagues you want to load.

Im playing with large db, all Italian leagues, San Marinese players retained, England down to League Two and the top Spanish league. Minimum detail in all competitions as well, its much faster that way.

First game of the season, and the dodgy Italian referees strike already! Sambenedetesse were awarded a penalty that was clearly incorrect and resulted in my right back being sent off. Fortunately Mr God in goal saved it for a 0-0 draw, but I'm still pretty annoyed about that.

Anyone else notice that the pitch dimentions of the Olimpico seem to be slightly off-average? It'll be interesting to see how we'll need to move once we get up the leagues, what people manage to get...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joseplluissans:

Is there a possibility to try a similar thing in the spanish league with the andorran club? Has anyone seen the club ascend to the segunda B?

Although, if I remember right, the youth squad was entirely made of spanish players, so the regens must be spanish also icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

could do this with FC Vaduz and Liechtenstein as well. maybe I will...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mwalker99:

fc vaduz is less of a challenge though because they are a pretty decent team </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true but Liechtenstein is arguably worse the San Marino.

Anyway, I'll stop hijacking this thread now.

I tried Vaduz, they're essentially just Swiss, nothing really special about them icon_frown.gif

Neither of the Andorran clubs have been promoted in all I've seen, one is Andorra by name but Spanish by location and in the Third Division, so technically could come up, the other is below 3rd (based in Andorra la Vella) so never could.

DPMM of Malaysia/Brunei I tried as well, but they regen Malaysian players when their foreigner rule is set to Brunei, making their regens unfeildable! I would guess the same would happen with citizenship, it would go to Malaysia instead of Brunei icon_frown.gif

The Welsh teams in England are about as special as you get, if you have the Welsh leagues running as well then you can take part in the FAW Premier Cup - just 4 extra games a year or so, but good fun.

There are also if I remember, Swiss teams in the lower French and Italian leagues. The Italian one is sub-Serie D, but the French one can come into the CFA, although very unlikely to reach the National from there.

Berwick are nothing really special besides occasional English regens that you usually get in Scotland anyway.

Think thats it icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oktober:

I tried Vaduz, they're essentially just Swiss, nothing really special about them icon_frown.gif

Neither of the Andorran clubs have been promoted in all I've seen, one is Andorra by name but Spanish by location and in the Third Division, so technically could come up, the other is below 3rd (based in Andorra la Vella) so never could.

DPMM of Malaysia/Brunei I tried as well, but they regen Malaysian players when their foreigner rule is set to Brunei, making their regens unfeildable! I would guess the same would happen with citizenship, it would go to Malaysia instead of Brunei icon_frown.gif

The Welsh teams in England are about as special as you get, if you have the Welsh leagues running as well then you can take part in the FAW Premier Cup - just 4 extra games a year or so, but good fun.

There are also if I remember, Swiss teams in the lower French and Italian leagues. The Italian one is sub-Serie D, but the French one can come into the CFA, although very unlikely to reach the National from there.

Berwick are nothing really special besides occasional English regens that you usually get in Scotland anyway.

Think thats it icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What if you change the countries, will they conflict against the leagues? Say, change the FC Andorra(Spanish 3rd league side) as andorran side instead of being spanish.

San marino is also an Italian side, do they still have san marinean freds?

Some. Regens are born in lots of local places, so some San Marino, Aquavela (sp), Serravalle, Domagnano etc, plus some from local Italian towns. Thats why it would help to have as much San Marinese staff as you can manage to tip the balance towards San Marinese regens, instead of the usual occasional german, french regen from your staff.

Also, trust me, Poland/San Marino is a good combination for manager.

Think thats it icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's also New Zealand Knights in Australia.

As well as Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham in England, Newport are in the Conference South, and Merthyr Tydfil usually get promoted from the lower leagues at some point. I think there's a N Irish team playing in Ireland, or the other way around as well.

Basque teams can be interesting, but there is no longer a restriction on the players they can buy, only with Bilbao.

In Singapore there is a club called Sporting Afrique, who can only buy African players. In Mexico some clubs can only buy Mexican players.

Anyone know of anymore 'different' clubs?

Some. Regens are born in lots of local places, so some San Marino, Aquavela (sp), Serravalle, Domagnano etc, plus some from local Italian towns. Thats why it would help to have as much San Marinese staff as you can manage to tip the balance towards San Marinese regens, instead of the usual occasional german, french regen from your staff.

Also, trust me, Poland/San Marino is a good combination for manager. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you jus have to sign as much local personnel as you can, in order to get local players in your club, although they can be crap, as your staff is crap too?

Or does that affect the players at all?

Yup, all you can do is move the ground to a town within a certain country. With the new regen system it barely matters any more though, they come from all over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe a new feature/upgrade to FM08? (if possible)

Remembered I have a game holidayed 10 forward with english and spanish leagues. Used genie scout(I know, it's a no no, but just use it for testing etc) and it found only 50 andorran players playing in the 6 andorran clubs, not too good icon_frown.gif

Also foun only 3 staff, two physios and a manager, not too good either icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joseplluissans:

Remembered I have a game holidayed 10 forward with english and spanish leagues. Used genie scout(I know, it's a no no, but just use it for testing etc) and it found only 50 andorran players playing in the 6 andorran clubs, not too good icon_frown.gif

Also foun only 3 staff, two physios and a manager, not too good either icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also the spanish third league side has never been in segunda B icon_frown.gif

So that's that for a similar challege icon_frown.gif

Leave you alone now, sorry for the disturbance icon_biggrin.gif

OK, so I take it all the existing San Marino players have their consistency and 'ability to make an effort' rating set at 1 then. I'm getting nothing out of them at all, its only my new signings doing anything for me at all. Dei is WOEFULLY inconsistant and has let in 5 in a game already, and we've yet to win a game since inevitably, the team will do something wrong. And I have no money to replace anyone else.

This will be tricky... last time I got sacked before I got promoted, C1 is a nightmare league to get out of.

just finished my first season and finished in 9th position, a whole 5 place above pre season prediction of 14th having been as highas fifth and only a poor run it stopping me making the play offs.

league

http://img162.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledwm5.png

though the rest of the team struggled to score i was carried all season by my main striker

player of the year

http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=15973737sb1.png

managed to drop the wage budget and bring in some promising looking players

new signing

http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=52634969on4.png

cant wait for my new signings to arrive

this year i can feel a promotion campaign!!

That new signing will probably struggle a bit with stamina so low. Make sure he doesn't have much closing down to do.

9th is good for the first season, hopefully you can finish higher with a better squad.

In the January window I've just been offered Chris Lucketti from Sheff Utd for free, a bit random for San Marino. Hopefully he's interested.

Trying to sign Di Canio, probably won't be interested though. He should be available on a free in the summer though, so I'll try again.

I seriously thought I had a chance after I did so well in the SC Cup, but I'm getting killed in the league... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I started slowly, trying to use a 4-2-3-1 formation, but I'm starting to get a much better balance, and getting the players playing how I need them to. Its not impossible to finish midtable so you just have to keep going.

Having evaluated my squad, I am mortified at how many are on loan (mostly Italian, granted) and how terrible the San Marinese players look!!

It might be possible to build up the club side to better climbs, and I can only hope that it has a knock-on effect to the national team if I can encourage a better youth academy... otherwise, this challenge is impossible!! I've seen better attributes for players in the Conference Regional Leagues....... bangHead.gif

I lost all right sided defenders and attacking midfielders for my first few days as well, as well as 3 first choice strikers. Seems to strike Serravalle a lot.

I was struggling a bit, and noticing that my wingers werent going forward enough. So, I moved them from MR/L to AMR/L, telling them not to bother with defence so much. its made an amazing difference already - I have 5 forward, my DM feeds balls through, clearances and counters outnumber defences and my defence sits back and soaks up pressure. My main problem is conceding from free kicks, Dei doesnt have a great record of shots at him to shots saved, a free header or on target from range usually finds the net, but my first game with that we annhilated them all over the park and won 4-1. No prizes for guessing how they got the 1...

this is getting ridiculous i posted that message pressed continue and another keeper got injured i think im gunna have to look at my training icon_frown.gif

heres the screenshots, four keepers injured in 3 days

http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=82218982ji6.png

http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=39124810jb0.png

http://img402.imageshack.us/my.php?image=46341005rw8.png

http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=27496741kp0.png

have a look at the dates!! icon_frown.gif

im off to cry myself to sleep now

Paul, I've got far worse teams to the Serie A before, San Marino are definately possible.

If you can guide the club team to success, then their regens will get progressively better and improve the national team. Plus, the San Marinese sides actually produce pretty respectable regens, but with very low reputations, so a decent manager or scout can find some real gems.

Its like the Scotland or Turkey effect other people have noticed, with a league or country retained, over time the national team and clubs from that country get better and better, as their average real player regen quality goes up as opposed to static greys with a pre-balanced level. You wont be qualifying for Euro 2008, but maybe by 2020 you'll have a few San Marino players in Champions league sides, etc.

With the extra players and staff retained, there is more chance of very high quality people coming through - if a good staff member appears, big clubs will sign him, increase San Marino knowledge, spawn San marino regens at big clubs, their scouting will find kids from the country, etc. Its great to watch over long term games.

Paul, I've got far worse teams to the Serie A before, San Marino are definately possible.

If you can guide the club team to success, then their regens will get progressively better and improve the national team. Plus, the San Marinese sides actually produce pretty respectable regens, but with very low reputations, so a decent manager or scout can find some real gems.

Its like the Scotland or Turkey effect other people have noticed, with a league or country retained, over time the national team and clubs from that country get better and better, as their average real player regen quality goes up as opposed to static greys with a pre-balanced level. You wont be qualifying for Euro 2008, but maybe by 2020 you'll have a few San Marino players in Champions league sides, etc.

With the extra players and staff retained, there is more chance of very high quality people coming through - if a good staff member appears, big clubs will sign him, increase San Marino knowledge, spawn San marino regens at big clubs, their scouting will find kids from the country, etc. Its great to watch over long term games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for that pal, I was sort of hoping that that might happen. Thats why I mentioned doing well with the club so the youth academy does well!

Only I thought that it might not work like that! Cheers!

Here's a quote from Francis Cole, he worked on the new youth system in FM 07 when he was working for SI-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

With FM2006 there would have generally been little chance of good San Marino youngsters because there are none in the DB.

With FM2007, the theory is that if I get San Marino to Seria A, best club in the world etc etc, then money is pumped into the whole San Marino youth system and I should hopefully get Super-San-Marino players icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its meant to be possible but it could take a while.

Regen quality depends on facilities, academy and club reputation (as well as luck), so if you got San Marino into the most illustrious club in the world, they'd theoretically produce (or at least have the highest chance of producing) youngsters with massive potential, who happened to be San Marinese.

Airbus UK, English playing in Wales

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually Airbus are Welsh. They play in Broughton which is just inside Wales although it probobly says there ground is in Chester in FM because that is the closest place to it.

Ok I am going to give this challenge a go.

I was running out of ideas for new games whilst eagerly waiting for the new patch/update, this challenge looks like fun. Hopefully by posting regular updates to keep interest I will go beyond my normal two seasons before giving up.

I have decided to start as San Marino Club Manager with San Marinese Nationality and automatic reputation, in a hope this will give me the chance to become San Marino National Manager in the future without having to restart.

I have had an encouraging pre season with two losses, two score draws and one win.

I’m looking forward to the Serie C Cup, hoping the competitive games will give me a positive insight into the season ahead.

Archived