[FM2007] San Marino "double" Challenge

Ter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oktober:

With the extra players and staff retained, there is more chance of very high quality people coming through - if a good staff member appears, big clubs will sign him, increase San Marino knowledge, spawn San marino regens at big clubs, their scouting will find kids from the country, etc. Its great to watch over long term games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is definately true. I had a game where I kept all players from San Marino, by about 2016 there were plenty of decent San Marino players playing all over Europe for at least half decent sides. The national side was I'd say about the equivalent of someone like Finland in real life. One of there players went from Juventus to Rangers for £8million.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At first I though this team was really bad. But then after a while I realised they are not so bad compared to the level in Serie C1.

Oktober, I also managed to get Alex Fernandez. Pure quality for this level, 10 goals in 14 games so far and still only a kid.

Does anyone know what the rules for foriegners in Serie C1 are? ie, non EU.

I notice there is a carp Venezuelan in the reserve team at the start, but given you can't scout outside region, it would be difficult to pick one up, plus Serie A sides seem to have a limit on non EU players, but nothing is listed in the rules for Serie C1.

Who is having problems with the finances?

There seem to be a few people of relatively high wages, who arent really that good.

Ackter, why did you cancel the loans?

They are free, you pay no wages, and even if they are not good enough for you to play, surely it is worth keeping them as backup in case of an injury crisis. Maybe I'm missing something, but I cant see the point in cancelling these 'free' players.

Fastbasher, i dont think there are any rules on the signing of non eu players in serie C and below cos i have atleast two argentinians in my squad, but the higher up you go i think you are restricted to 1 non eu signing per season in serie A and non at all allowed in serie B

okie doke, got bored of my previous mk dons game so decided to take up a challenge on the boards, and san marino seemed cool

so the story so far, loaded up the leagues and currently 7 games into the season... to begin with I mutually terminated most of my staff, tried to bring in my ass man who usually follows me everywhere but he decided stoke was more his cup of tea. plumped for a scottish guy called bryan cooper, and then brought in 5 coaches.

San Marino Staff Page

Moved onto cancelling all my loans apart from giorgetti, and spent the night scouring the database for some freebies. generally i just employ a method of choosing players i like the look of and waiting to see if they hit or miss.

San Marino Transfers Page

San Marino Team

Haven't done anything with the training side yet, so guess that leads me onto the games i've played. Pre-season consisted of friendlies against escheborn, bologna, cesena, erfurt, catania and ascoli (I like my teams hitting above their weight early on) won 1, drew 2, lost 3, but team showed some good signs. Then came the Serie C Cup, overall came 2nd with 2 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss, consider this a decent position although with my ambitions high (I'm expecting promotion), if i achieve then I'll have missed out on winning it.

The league is looking better, currently 3rd after 3 games (avelino, martini, lanciano), and the team is going from strength to strength, apart from a small morale problem after forgetting to congratulate them on a win.

San Marino Snapshot

San Marino Fixtures and Results

It's my first time doing one of these challenges so not sure whether there is some sort of rule for updating people, if not i'll just post some screenshots and details whenever something significant happens

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fastbasher:

Does anyone know what the rules for foriegners in Serie C1 are? ie, non EU. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All Italian teams are allowed to sign only 1 player from outside the EU per year. Juventus I think have 0 though for some reason in the first season, which seems to confuse a lot of people.

Finances are a nightmare, due to abysmal attendances. I'd think that most likely, you'll just bleed money until you're in the Serie B, so you'd better do well on the pitch so the board dont mind keeping you afloat with investments.

Anyone else struggling defensively? I remembered Dei as being solid enough to carry the team, but he's been AWFUL for me so far.

Alex Fernandez has 13 goals in 13 games, and Dei has conceded 26 in 19. If its on target, he doesnt keep it out. At all.

I've found another Spanish star though, left winger who should arrive in January, maybe he'll help. Only 17 so probably not old enough to make an impact yet...

i gave him 3 games but wasnt impressed with his distribution so i signed the austrian u21 keeper from stuggart.

think hes called langer, anyway im not too impressed by him either he seems to let in alot of goals from distance, any suggestions on how to stop this? i have set closing down high in the hope the pressure will stop them getting shots in

Im in January now

Lost £272k (£43k on Transfers)

Signed 2 free transfers and Vincenzo Esposito from melfi. Good technical ability, scored 3 in 2 from centre mid so far.

At the moment i am 11th in the league

pld 19

won 6

drawn 4

lost 9

For 20

Against 24

Points 22

Signed a new coach at the start of the season (Fitness 18) and put all the team on a high fitness based training.

Eventually going to aim for strong aggressive players to kick their way up to serie B. Maybe some tall target men, bit of long ball...

It doesnt need to be pretty icon_redface.gif

Alex now has 20 in 29 for me, while Dei has conceded 46 in 35.

I picked up a talented Swiss kid to partner Alex in the January window, and they are working well together.

Then main problem seems to be finding a replacement for Dei. The other two keepers in the squad a REALLY pathetic, and no one of any decent quality seems to want to come.

I'm hoping to pick up someones castoff for free in July, but would prefer to tie one up before then.

Finances, disaster, -200k now, and only in March. This will likely mean having to rely on free players and loans.

Did Cagliari as a parent send any decent players?

Well, just going into January now and results have been... mixed. 17 games played so halfway through the season, and I'm sitting in 9th place. We've had some stunning victories, but often have been comfortably controlling the game but stupidly conceded to draw instead of win. I have a good record against the bigger clubs, so I'd maybe be a little more confident than usual about playoffs.

I managed to bring in a new goalkeeper on a free transfer - his stats arent amazing, but he's decent enough that I can threaten to drop Dei and actually mean it icon_razz.gif Since he's arrived ,Mr. God has been tutoring him and has picked up his form dramatically, so maybe the competition is good for him. A similar thing happened with my left winger, he was doing very poorly so I declared interest in the kid I was trailing, and since then he's been great. A little motivation to keep on top of his game, perhaps?

Cagliari havent sent me anyone, and dont really have any sufficient depth that I can benefit immediately. Hopefully as time goes on it will help. I've also got Cervia as my feeder club, they're Serie D atm but in my experience they just about always come up to C2, so it could help having a feeder in the active league structure.

Tactically, going forward I just about always have a pass to make and am very strong with finishing, Alex Fernandez is top league scorer and second top rated in the league, behind only my own young French DM; he's also been on the club's Favoured Personell list since his 10th game! I had been struggling with players getting behind my defence and scoring from point blank range, but I think thats my full backs at fault so I'm working on having them do more defensive work. It worked well enough to steal a stunning 1-0 win against top of the league Ancona, with Dei even saving an (admittedly awful) penalty.

Finances, £466k in the red, no hope of making a profit, will have to cut the wage bill (no problem there) and relying on free transfers for the forseeable future. Ah well.

Half the season to go, I started poorly and have been climing so if I can maintain my current form and work on plugging the gaps, I should maybe have an outside playoff chance. Relegation looks pretty safe, barring some form of disaster.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oktober:

Well, he should help. Sampdoria offered him to me for £0, so I just took him. Lucky, but should be good for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He should be useful for a year or two maybe, I wonder how much effect his decisions of 4 will have?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ackter, why did you cancel the loans?

They are free, you pay no wages, and even if they are not good enough for you to play, surely it is worth keeping them as backup in case of an injury crisis. Maybe I'm missing something, but I cant see the point in cancelling these 'free' players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because I didn't want them messing up my club with their crapness.

They wouldn't let me have anything else, not even a 1 year contract. Might be to do with the finances I guess, as the board and fans are delighted with my performance as manager.

Just made good comeback from 3-0 down against Perugia icon_cool.gif

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1603/sanmarinoperugiacomebacom5.jpg

5 games left, should be safe and I doubt we'll get to the playoffs either.

Hired a few San Marinese staff, they're surprisingly good, a coach with 19 in technical coaching, and another one with 19 in technical coaching and fitness coaching, and 17 in mental coaching.

thought i'd do a quick update before i head off to bed, my first day as san marino manager has gone pretty well, although it's been a bit of an up and down season so far...

On the transfers front, In January I brought in Sietes (DL from Numancia) to shore up the defence and he has been consistently solid for me through. My second and last signing, due to lack of firepower, was the guy everyone seems to be recommending, alex fernandez, who has been alright in terms of scoring, but it's his linkup with super striker Abate that has been worthwhile.

Kept training the same as I'm not really knowledged in that area yet, and it's a case of, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Tactics on the other hand did need some work. Started the season with a simple 4-4-2, which turned into a 4-4-2 (attack), then upon realising I needed another way to get the ball up the field quicker, went to a 4-4-2 diamond which has helped propel me up the table.

Matches have gone well, so far played 28 games, won 12, drew 9, lost 7 which has put me into a respectable 3rd so far, but as I said earlier it's been a rollercoaster as all teams are pretty close on points, and runaway leaders salernitana are starting to become reachable after a poor patch.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 9th | | Gallipoli | | 34 | 12 | 8 | 14 | 43 | 49 | -6 | 44 |

| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 10th | | Ravenna | | 34 | 12 | 7 | 15 | 40 | 46 | -6 | 43 |

| 11th | | Giulianova | | 34 | 10 | 13 | 11 | 40 | 40 | 0 | 43 |

| 12th | | San Marino | | 34 | 10 | 13 | 11 | 37 | 37 | 0 | 43 |

| 13th | | Martina | | 34 | 9 | 16 | 9 | 32 | 43 | -11 | 43 |

| 14th | Pl | Cavese | | 34 | 9 | 11 | 14 | 44 | 54 | -10 | 38 |

| 15th | Pl | Manfredonia | | 34 | 8 | 11 | 15 | 38 | 53 | -15 | 35 |

| 16th | Pl | Juve Stabia | | 34 | 7 | 13 | 14 | 33 | 42 | -9 | 34 |

| 17th | Pl | Teramo | | 34 | 7 | 10 | 17 | 30 | 49 | -19 | 31 |

| 18th | R | Lanciano | | 34 | 2 | 10 | 22 | 26 | 66 | -40 | 16 |

</pre>

Average season, decent defence but we need to score more. I think I need attacking midfielders and strikers with a bit more pace and ability. Dei seemed to let in a few soft goals, some shots went straight through him.

Im signing this player in the summer, was offered to me on a free. Played 12 games in Serie A last season, and definitely looks good enough for Serie C1. Should be very useful having an all round player.

He looks superb, and in DM too he should be fantastic for you next season.

Well, with a close fought 2-1 win against Juve Stabia in the Olimpico, my first season in Serravalle comes to an end. A respectable 7th place finish overall, we just dropped too many points to score draws to really challenge for the playoffs. Still a good base to build on with two breakout stars, Striker Ãlex Fernández and my French DM Yoann Delaneuville.

Next season we'll be dealing with Pescara, and most likely Triestina and Albinoleffe, none of whom are particularly out of my class. If we can get a strong start instead of chasing next year, we should probably manage the playoffs.

We were named the overachievers in the season summary, and my defender I signed for £3k was the 2nd best signing.

I've been offered Sheringham on a free, he's good still apart from his pace and acceleration, now both at 2. Not sure his ability would make up for pace that low.

Im also signing Belmadi on a free from Southampton, he rejected a new contract to come to San Marino.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/681/belmadidj3.jpg

Looks like the sort of player I need in my 4-2-3-1, better all round player than the midfielders I had last season.

End of season summary saw my DM win top average rating, Ãlex got top goalscorer and best signing of the season, and San Marino as the overacheivers. Ãlex won player of the season and top scorer awards . He also got the club fans Player of the Year award.

20th June now and its officially changed over into the 07/08 season. I'm still in C1/B, sometimes get moved to A after the first year, but I suppose this is for the best, I know all the teams in this league. Pescara and Crotone were the teams who came down into my section, them and Taranto and Perugia are predicted to be top 4. Media Prediction is 11th for me, but I'm aiming for playoffs.

Cagliari have offered to send a pretty good right back, the board have negotiated a TERRIBLE sponsorship deal (10k per year) and I'm expected to bravely battle relegation.

None of my new youth players look good, and only one is San Marinese icon_frown.gif

this challenge has caught my imagination so uni has taken a back seat in the last few days so iv just finished my second season and im still in serie c1/b, but its looking better. the youth team has alot of san marinese coming through and some of my new signing will have an impact next year

im pretty sure that iv nailed my tactic finally after 2 seasons of tweaks it seems to be getting the right results in pre season anyway

after finishin 9th and then 12th i have been given a prediction of 13th again for the new year but i am confident of atleast making the playoffs

thinkin of taking the national job this season but havent decided yet, i already have 4 internationals in my squad as well as 17 good young player in the u-20s

finances not too good but the board just accepted a bid of 250k for my star midfielder so at least the debt will be reduced and maybe ill get some more for wages as the free agents are lookin pretty good this year

updates to come but hopefully promotion will be achievable at the third attempt

What a game this was.

Also to be proud of, Ãlex got called up for the Spain U19s for the Youth Euros, and did very well, scoring for them. Abate decided he wanted to stay, then go again within weeks, hopefully he'll just change his mind, otherwise I could probably just replace him.

Thats a very good draw against a much better team, so I'm hopeful... I managed the comeback without Ãlex too.

Following on from my encouraging pre season friendly games I am pleased with the way my team performed during the Italian Serie C Cup Group Stage.

I didn’t manage to qualify for the first qualifying phase but am still happy that I finished a clear second.

However going into the last game of the group stage, after two wins and a 1-0 loss away to the clear group winners I knew mathematically that I was going to finish second no matter what the result so I made the mistake of telling my team to relax and enjoy the game. What followed were a 2-1 defeat in a game I should have won and a few unhappy players with my match day team talks.

Hopefully I can win my upset players back around in the early stages of the season ahead.

Aside from my teams short cup run other items of interest include my only pre season transfer action of allowing one of my defenders to be co owned, two of my players being called up for international duty, and losing my first league game of the season 1-0 away.

I feel for the season ahead that I have a promising squad and that attack may become my best form of defence if I am to achieve anything in my first season as San Marino manager.

I've just started this challenge so am still piecing together my squad but it's looking OK so far. I've made two 'big' signings, both young strikers, Alex Fernandez, who someone else mentioned earlier (he was terrific for me in a game with Northampton) and Marco Bertolina (Swiss/Italian) of Chiasso who I've had before with a lot of success.

Otherwise I've taken a chance on some free transfers:

Alex Gasperoni, 22 AM RLC (San Marino)

Magna, 24 GK (Brazil/Italy)

Zanol, 22 DC (Brazil/Italy)

Mustapha Keita, 26 D/DM C (France/Mali)

Vito Laudicina, 17 GK (Italy)

Luciano Porcelli, 23 AM RL (Switzerland/Italy)

Gianfranco Nardi, 27 AM RC (Italy)

A couple of them were signed blind, a few had some stats showing. Laudicina I've had before and he could end up a decent back-up.

Trying to sign at least one fullback as they look a bit rubbish and they often end up being important players for me - not having much luck so far. But I've hired a couple more scouts so hopefully they'll unearth someone.

Thanks for the facepack.

Season Review 2006/07 - Serie C1B

Well, the season was much better than expected. We finished a creditable 7th in the league and could perhaps have challenged for a playoff spot had Dei not been injured for the last two months.

I managed to get through to the last 16 of the Serie C Cup, thanks to a bit of luck in these group standings. But got pummelled by Ivrea.

Made a few new signings, the most not of course Alex Fernandez, but also a partner for him in a promising Swiss striker.

A couple of midfield rocks, one French and the other Italian

I also decided to take a chance on a local boy, and he has done an alright backup job.

The big mission was to find a new goalkeeper, and here is my replacement for Dei.

In the off season, I am looking for a couple of defender, as that area really needs strengthening. I even promoted Del Prete from the under 20's last season.

Finances are looking dire, 450k in the red. I hate to say it, but maybe Alex Fernandez holds the key to our financial future. I have already had a couple of big clubs enquiring.

Well, with a much better squad than the start of last season, I see no reason why a playoff spot is not a realistic goal. Then who knows........

Ok, what are you going to do regarding Alex F in the second season? (seeing as several of us have him now)

He wants to move to a bigger club on my game and has been transfer listed by request. He still has two years to go on his current deal, so I have plenty of time to hold out for a good deal.

I have been offered 550k with a 50% sell on from four different clubs, but non-negotiable. I'm sure I can get better than this later on, and the problem is that 45% of the fee will go to Toledo anyway.

Will he play badly if I refuse so many offers for him?

(I repeat they are non.negotiable offers, but require a response)

End of Season Review 2006/07

Position: 5th (Playoff Final = Lost 3-3 in extra time)

Considered the overachievers in the league, my team had a relatively good season, although I believe we could have had a better run were it not for Dei being injured for the last 5/10 games, and fernandez going on international duty during the playoffs. Not sure what the rules are, but for some reason if you go into extra time and are ahead on away goals, you don't win, so lost out to perugia.

Players: Alex Fernandez (£75k) and Gianfranco Nardi (Free) were the two signings of the season according to the league summary. Top scorer was Giovanni Abate, but problems arose when he hit a slump and was misfiring alot towards the end of the season. Haven't got any signings planned, waiting on when all the big clubs release their reserves and youths before scouring the market.

Finances: Just secured new sponsorship of 80k for the next two seasons, but doesn't really make a difference considering i'm currently over 500k in debt. Might have to sell Fernandez if I want to wipe it out and have the ability of better wages.

Affiliated Clubs: I decided upon going for Cagliari as my parent club but haven't used them this season, and will probably see if I can pick up an even better team. Also made Aprillia a Feeder club but again hardly used them.

Objectives for next season: Aiming high again, but my aspirations are to win the league this time round, and to go far in the Serie C cup. Bring some san marino players through, got a decent goalkeeper who is showing some promise, and a striker who is doing well in the youths. Try and sort out the financial situation.

Isn't it funny how so many end up with the same players. I've also signed Esposito, it's still early days for me, but he looks promising. I tried to sign Plessis but he wasn't interested.

As for Alex F, I'd hold out for more, but it really depends on how unhappy he is and how likely promotion this time around is. He won't hang around forever and could start missing training. His performances would then suffer and nobody will want him. Set a price, maybe a million, and see if that helps encourage bigger bids.

I guess we all start with the same, and the obvious course, leads us to the same players in the beginning.

I have Fernandez, Esposito, Nardi, Plessis, Bentolino all mentioned by others. Also got offered the same keeper for free that Oktober got offered.

I've sold Fernandez and am now profitable again.

I got 500k now, 950k over 24 months, 275k after he hits 20 goals, and a 50% sell on clause..

the 500k put me back in the black. The 950k will keep me there for the next 2 seasons, with an extra 40k per month coming in. The 275k will just be a bonus. But, the real reward will be when Hercules sells him. Oh yeah, he went back to Spain, so I dont even have to worry about facing him.

This deal came up as 2.4m on the news screen. I'm guessing the cash, plus the 50% resale, and the 20 goal clause.

Once he gets sold on, it should be worth way more than 2.4m. I wanted to get the resale clause in as I've had chairman accept bids without them before, and Fernandez looks like he's going places. So I look forward to the big windfall as soon as one of the true 'big' clubs pick him up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brendanbrendan:

I'll wait for the patch/update first icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I think that I'l do that too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sack that! I will start just now. Update later after I get going.

Its going to take a few seasons in the Serie A before training and youth facilities are good enough to bring San Marinese regens to a level even good enough to win a game in the qualifiers, let alone actually qualify.

Doing much better in the second season, even without Alex F. Currently 3rd after 12 games. Having a keeper who moves and tries to stop the ball going past him is a real help.

Del Prete made his San Marino National debut at 16. I reckon with the lack of competition for places, this extra attention we are paying to San Marino could create one for the records thread for international caps.

I also had 12 players play in a San Marino under 19 game last season. 12 players from one club playing in the same national team! They were all used to playing together and still sucked.

"most international matches lost in a row"? icon_razz.gif

I was feeling so down about my run of form I was tempted to give up... then looked at the league table and realised if I win my game in hand, i could mathematically go top! Everyone in the league is very out of form atm, no-ones breaking from the pack, so i suppose thats good news for me - there wont be many points between top and bottom, so a decent run should propel me right up instead of chasing teams who never drop points like last season.

New club record high scoring game was a 5-4 win at Cisco Roma in the cup, then I lost 3-2 at home to go through on away goals. Castelnuovo in the next round who I'm 1-0 up against currently, having a decent go at the Serie C Cup then.

I looked at the national records for San Marino (the country), and Valli has the record for most goals in a game (1), most in a season (1), and most in their career (1). While someone else has a record number of assists (1).

They should make a national holiday in San Marino to commemorate when that record breaking goal was scored.

(possibly doesnt include results before the game came out. Surely they must have scored before irl)

Coming up to the January transfer window '08, and the chairman is being all business like again. He just accepted a bid worth 1.1m for Plessis.

Probably a good deal, but doesnt help matters on the pitch. Still, at least I have Esposito to replace him. 3 years younger and just as good.

Chairmans accepted a £250k bid for a defender I signed a year ago for £3k. Thing is we're £750k in debt so its hardly going to make a difference.

The transfer was cancelled as the bidding club couldn't afford the fee.

Im in trouble, with all the debt and because the chairman lowered the wage budget, I could end up losing players like Abate after this season on frees as their contracts expire and I can't offer them more than about £500 a week, he's around £2k a week I think icon_frown.gif

currently in feb of the third season and doing alot better than previous season. standing 5th in the league with 12 games to go.

iv managed to cut the wage bill significatly so the debt has become more manageable and should be under control by next year.

currently have 9 san marinese in my first team squad and 6 of these are in the san marino starting 11, although there arent that many player in the san marino squad

http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=smdv1.png

no major transfers although i have picked up christino doni on a free who is having a great season spliting most games 50/50 (45mins each) with another midfielder with limited stamina

I just cant get anything together that makes me look or feel like more than a mid table side. Its a chore to play on when you know that after a month you arent going up...

What tactics are people having success with? I can go a small run with a 4-4-2 diamond, then awful, tweak it, run, awful again... no championship winning consistency.

Archived