[FM2007] San Marino "double" Challenge

Ter

It must be an emotional rollarcoaster for the Spal team, after spending 2/3 seasons in serie C they then going on 2 promotion seasons.

Now they have just finished 3rd in Serie A 3 points off top spot. Scored the most goals in the whole league but let in quite a few too.

Now they are into the Champions league.

Dimitri Huc looks like he is heading for player of the year at just 20. 33 games 29 goals 6 assists 9 MoM, also on the field reminds me of shearer.

Although with out his goals we would of been struggling with next in line the brazilian midfield free kick taker Marco Aurelio with 10.

But onwards and upwards now just need to see if I can crack the champions league.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Champions \o/

Off to the big leagues we go!

New stadium should hopefully be ready for the start of the biggest season in our history, finances are healthy and the board have allowed me to scout the entire world now, although this is tempered by the fact that only one none-EU player can be signed of course. I have taken the opportunity to sign a couple more scouts and also fleshed out the coaching team.

Onwards icon_smile.gif

I've got back into my game, at least for a bit anyway. Finished the 5th season and still no promotion, cleared out most of the players on big wages as I can't afford it, they weren't performing well enough to deserve big wages.

Brought in a few cheap English youngsters, as well as some of the random young players I signed on frees at the start of the season, hopefully the squad can perform just as well without the overpaid players of last season. Three of my back four are from San Marino icon_cool.gif

So with my disertation handed in i have returned to manage San Marino icon_smile.gif

After a first season finish of 9th when predicted 14th, i again exceeded expectations of 14th place

The league was a two horse race between Salernitana and Frosinone with San Marino always in third mainly due to drawing 13 games during the season.

The success of the team was the solid defence headed by Devis Nossa (also top scorer with 10) and Moreno Impagnatiello (now second choice for the italian U21s) which conceeded only 21 league goals which meant the fact i struggled to score (only 41 in the league) didnt matter.

Heading into the playoffs i lost my keeper to international duty for the first leg of the semis and when he returned for the second leg i lost two of my best midfielders to internation duty!!

After beating Giulianova 3-2 in the semi final i was drawn against 2nd place Frosinone after drawing 0-0 at home i was level at 1-1 in the second leg with 10 mins to go when i remembered away goals dont count icon_frown.gif. with 5 up front and 1 attacking mid i prayed for a goal

BANG 94:34secs my san marenese midfielder scores a scrambled winner but i didnt care we had done it promotion in the second season !!

Alot of signing will be needed to survive in Serie B but im up for the challenge.

This challange seems to be sadly dieing icon_frown.gif

Perhaps its cause the San Marino national team part is solid.

But anyway just missed out on the european cup final with Spal beaten on penalities by Newcastle in the semi finals...gutting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gavinkil:

This challange seems to be sadly dieing icon_frown.gif

Perhaps its cause the San Marino national team part is solid.

But anyway just missed out on the european cup final with Spal beaten on penalities by Newcastle in the semi finals...gutting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sadly so.

After getting the national team through to Euro 2020, they are still in good shape and have a chance to qualify for the 2022 WC. Currently 3rd after 5 games.

The problem for me was the club side. The highest I finished was 4th. This season I am close to a relegation battle and am afraid to continue as I think a sacking and the end for me is just around the corner.

One of the problems I found in the Serie A, compared to Premiership, is only one non EU signing per season allowed. This makes it difficult to pick up a bunch of promising South Americans, Africans or Eastern Europeans for either profit or play if they turn out to be real class.

Good luck to those still going, I'll update when I get motivated to continue my San Marino save.

I don't have the time to play FM at the moment, I will play it a bit every so often, maybe tonight. Still haven't been promoted yet though after about 5 season icon_frown.gif

I'm still plugging away icon_smile.gif

Finished 6th in my first season in Serie A which I was rather proud of. Missed out on Europe however even though Roma did the double. On this point - I was never given the option of applying for an Intertoto place, which I would almost certainly have won if the option was there. Does it not apply in Italy?

Oh on a side note, went through a takeover during the season, keeping my job despite the rumours, and having the loan (taken out to pay for my new stadium by the old board) paid off and a massive 45 million pumped into the club's coffers icon_redface.gif

We are 10th five games from concluding our first season 1 Serie B. Things have gone very well, there is still hope to go up until 5th place, but the injuries of too many first team players kept us down in the table.

Top 2 are not reachable so far, but hopefully next season.

Finances are +2mill, squad average age is 21, so we´ll have to bring in some experience.

National Team draw 1-1 against Bulgaria, but otherwise only losses.

More news next week.

I've restarted my San Marino game:

My appointment heralded major surgery on the squad, with cheap labour coming in from eastern europe. Unfortunately almost all my defensive targets refused me with only a young centre back arriving whom I considered a rotation player.

Transfers In:

Martin Belanik DC £3k from Zilina (Slovakia)

Stefan Zosak MR £55k from Ruzomberok (Slovakia)

Lukas Hricov SC £12k from Trencin (Slovakia)Gergo Cseri MC £6k from REAC (Hungary)

Istvan Vituska AML £20k Ujpest (Hungary)

Lukasz Tralka MC £20k from Pogon (Poland)

Georgi Kaloyanov AMLC £1k from Nesebar (Bulgaria)

Transfers out:

Davide Faieta £1k

Alessandro Turchetta £50k co-ownership

Luca Ceccarelli £3k

Roberto Di Maio £5k

So with only Tralka speaking English and myself not speaking Italian, team talks have been difficult.

The start of the season was fairly positive with an ubeaten run of 7 games, unfortunately 6 of those were draws. Clearly the players have had trouble gelling but goals from Hricov have kept the points ticking over.

Coming up to the end of 2006, the players have finally understood enough finger pointing and grunts to make my direct style of play work. This has halted the incessant draws with a run of some wins between draws, and now we sit 4th with a record of 7W 9D L1.

Successes so far :- Hricov 14 goals from 17 games with Kaloyanov, Tralka and Vituska doing well in midfield with ratings over 7.

I've also stubbornly been refusing Italian feeders waiting for the board to speak to a San Marinese club and was rewarded with Murata, which I hope will bring on more youths. I've also picked up Giancarlo Ciavatta as a coach and with ratings of 15 for fitness and 17 for tactical coaching, he's been good for training.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, I have time to do this challenge. icon_smile.gif

Italian Serie C2/C Season 2007/2008 1st Period

The Table.

After 2 months with effort, we managed to stand on the 3rd position with 1 more game in hand than the 1st position and the 2nd position. I believe if we can maintain this form, we can go to Serie C1 either as the champion or via the play-off. But I don't want to dream too high because some of my players don't want to renew their contract because of the financial crisis I face. I mean, the effect is that I can't give them the amount of the wage they expect. So, the worst scenario is that we're promoted and we're relegated soon after 1 season. With this scenario as a possible future, I become ready to face every situation. I'll still give my effort in this challenge because I believe I can face another good future.

I signed 3 players so far. The board couldn't and can't give me any budget more because of the crisis. So, I have to use the rest of the budget from last season. The board hopes that I can use this chance to maximize the talent of the youth players.

Luckily, when I signed these three players, the wage budget was higher so that I could sign them.

They are as follows.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Thomas Dossevi from Valenciennes. I was offered him for €0. I'm proud of this because finally, there's an international player in my squad. icon_wink.gif

<LI>Andrea Ivan from Atalanta. The same case with Dossevi happened. I was offered him also for €0. He's old, but I think he's better than Emiliano Dei because Dei has already past his best I think. icon_smile.gif

<LI>Simone Bacciocchi from Domagnano. He was found by my scout considering him as one of the best signing in our financial crisis. Bacciocchi is a San Marino international.

Francesco Indirli and Christian Ercolani were released this season. And I accepted a co-ownership offer from Celano for Giordano Napolano for €12K. I know I can lose him because maybe I can't afford the next transfer fee, but I believe this decision can help our financial condition.

Italian Serie C Cup

Italian Serie C Cup Group Stage Group E Final Table.

I thought I was dreaming, but I'm proud that we're better now. We were qualified from this group stage by winning all matches.

In the Italian Serie C Cup First Qualifying Phase, we won against the holders, Gallipoli, by 1 - 2. With 2 away goals, I hope we don't make any mistake in home.

This is my quick update now. I'll continue this.

n.b. I realize that there aren't so many options to be successful. I mean, it can take a long time to reach the destination as I can see from your posts. So, I believe that the best way to conquer this challenge is "nothing to lose". Agree? icon_wink.gif

I've had a chance to play FM for a bit and got back into my San Marino game, going to finish mid table again icon_frown.gif

6 seasons now and still no promotion icon_biggrin.gif So far I've finished

12th

12th

6th

5th (lost in playoffs)

7th

3 games left we can still finish between 6th and 16th.

After getting back to it I realised we had no real goalscorers in the team, found a decent striker on deadline day, his club let him leave for free. Regis Dorn, a 32 year old French striker, he's scored 5 in 7 games but has had a couple of injuries already.

• SI Staff

Of course it's not too late. I'm gutted that I don't have the time to play mine any more.

Still got the saved game though so it is always there if I want to icon_cool.gif

How far did you get in the end Ter?

In fact whats the furthest anyones got without checking whole thread?

Did anyone manage to get the national job as the same manager while still with the club side?

Yes. Never managed any major qualification with the national team though.

Nor could I manage to crack the top spot in serie A came close on a number of occasions. Still got my save on my old computer but since getting my new one I have just been loading up loads of leagues seeing how much it can take.

For some reason this player is worth £825k, the next highest valued is £160k

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/7401/alexbugliprofileya5.jpg

He's good, maybe the best San Marino international ever, but can't understand why he's valued so much higher? Must have a much higher reputation and CA/PA than everyone else, and he's only 22.

I've played a couple of seasons now, both times losing in the playoffs because we were the lower placed team icon_frown.gif

Thats 8 seasons now I think and we just can't get into Serie B.

There's always a few big clubs in the division which makes it hard. Last season Como got taken over by a millionaire from Kuwait. They got promoted and have just finished midtable in Serie B, they could probably get to Serie A in a few years he gives them the money to spend.

My chairmans now only 'happy to stay', so I'm hoping we might get a takeover eventually. I doubt it'll be a rich tycoon though, which we really could do with.

Training facilities upgraded for the first time, hopefully it'll help slightly. Might even help attract the odd player as well.

• SI Staff

Bit of an Off Topic update here, but San Marino got relegated back to Serie C2 so it looks like this challenge for next version will be starting from there. More time to build a squad for Serie A! icon_wink.gif

Still in Serie C1/A, but I've got a one very, very good player.

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/3074/dennislensprofile2em2.jpg

Signed on a free, its his third season and he's only just started to become a regular goalscorer. Only scored 4 in his first season and was in and out of the team. Its as if he's matured a bit and become more consistent.

He's only improved a few points in each attribute since I signed him, just never performed like I thought he might. Even made a bit of money out him when I sold 50% of him, but I signed him back as the other team bidded £0.

He signed a new contract in the summer, with £3m release clause. Looks far too low now icon_frown.gif If he's consistent enough he could score goals at any level.

Dennis Lens has gone for £3m, minimum release icon_frown.gif

This is my 10th season in Serie C1 now icon_biggrin.gif Three playoff defeats in a row now, really have to try and win the league as its so hard to get promoted with two legs in the semi final and final.

I've brought in a lot of players, some more San Marino league 'stars' that I hope will improve with the f/t training. Some new strikers, one is purely physical with very average attributes elsewhere, but should get quite a few goals. A targetman who doesn't have pace but is good in the air, strong with good finishing and off the ball ratings.

Too many central midfielders, 4 I think, and a few defenders.

I've got a Brazillian right back called Carlos who I was desperate to sign, he rejected me when his contract was up, rejected me and chose to go on loan, but managed to convince him to sign with a massive contract (well for my San Marino team, over £6k a week).

I've now realised I've got too many players and have a wage bill of £77k a week, the budget is around £60k a week. So I'm trying to sell some of the older and squad players that I don't need, even if its for free. Can't afford to have a 9 first team strikers, so trying to get rid of 3. One is Abate who I brought back to the club, but he's got no acceleration and poor pace so isn't very effective now.

Am I the only one still playing this? I'm in the 10th season now, just had a local consortium take over the club. Something like £300k invested plus training facilities upgraded. Chairman did want to replace me but has let me stay.

San Marino are now quite high in the world rankings, they nearly qualified for Euro 2016. They even have a player at Chelsea, though he is in their reserves.

The San Marino league clubs are producing some decent players, many now play for me or used to.

I am, but I got very annoyed with stupid san marino and Girogio Abate, and the fact that peschisolido is out for 10 to 12 months and is considering retiring cause hes only been at the club 3 months and has suffered 3 injuries. And my tactic sucks in ths league. icon_frown.gif Im considering doing it again seeing as my exams are over (by doing again, I mean loading it up and carrying it on). In fact, Ill do it now

Loved the sound of this challenge so I thought it would be worth a go. I began by sacking all my staff and replacing them with staff from San Marino. I did the same with the players. So we had a San Marino side entirely with players and coaches of that nationality, although I accidently kept my nationality of New Zealand.

Results :

Serie C Cup - third in Group 7pts

Serie C1 - 16th loss in playoffs, down to C2

Finances -700k pounds

Most Expensive - Alex Gasparoni (65k)

San Marino International

Ranking - 196th (6pts)

Best Results - 1-2 losses to Germany and Ireland

I am not currently in charge of the national side but maintain a healthy interest in their results.

season 2007-2008

A much better season for San Marino, getting promoted back to Serie C1, the side and the national team both had fine years, and I feel we will avoid relegation this time.

We even had a couple of awards :

Andy Selva - Signing of the year (18apps, 15gls)

Alex Gasparroni - Most Assists (16asts)

Luca del Prete -Int'l debut aged 16

Matteo Valli - 3rd top scorer (18gls)

Results :

Serie C Cup - 3rd in Group (8pts)

Serie C2 / C - 1st on goal difference

Serie C Super Cup - 2nd

Finances - -405k (300k profit)

Most Expensive - ST Stefano Fantini - 425k

San Marino International

Ranking - 144th(77pts) up 52 places

Best Results - 3-2 win vs Cyprus , 0-0 v Iceland

Season 3 2008-2009

San Marino Club

A fair year for San Marino achieving our best ever league positionalthough we still had to playoff for our safety. This was suprising as we had superior goal difference to the sides in 12th and 13th. The league was tight, with our sides only 8 points from the promotion playoffs

Serie C1 - 14th place (won playoff)

Coppa Italia - 1st Qualifying round

Serie C Cup - 2nd Qualifying round

Most Expensive Player - Marco Belemmi(DRL) 825k

Finances - -630k (225k loss)

National Team

I still dont have the job but the boys are doing alright, currently sitting 4th in their WC 2010 Qualifying Group.

World Ranking - 130th(88pts) up 14 places

Best Results - 2-1 Azerbaijan, 3-0 Iceland, 2-1 Kazakhstan

dont think the national team job will be available anytime soon...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">dont think the national team job will be available anytime soon... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah you'll have to wait until the manager retires or add a new manager yourself. For some reason he never decides to resign for a new challenge and the low expectations mean he doesn't get sacked.

Contemplating starting the challenge again just because I never felt I got where I wanted to get to last time icon_smile.gif

Like the idea of having a squad entirely of San Marino players although the progression of the team to the dizzy heights of serie A will take ages.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">dizzy heights of serie A will take ages. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in my 11th season and still haven't been promoted. Got into the playoffs enough times, but can never win them icon_frown.gif

So you will be jealous if I get promoted in my first season? icon_smile.gif

Surely after 11 seasons you must have a pretty decent squad. Remember when they sign up make there minimum sale fee at least 5 mil and dont accept no less by pricing them at 10 mill asking price.

What leagues did you load?

We've been unlucky, can never win in the playoffs. We've lost just by league position a few times.

Problem is because I'm not getting promoted the better players want to move to bigger clubs.

One defender I signed from the San Marino league only had one decent season, wanted to move, had to sell for £300k in the end as there was no point keeping him, a year later he moves for around £1.5m icon_frown.gif

Archived