[FM2007] San Marino "double" Challenge

Ter

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Yeah, just hopefully going to be testing a few things out that were discussed in the sticky thread.

There will be a new San Marino challenge for FM 2008 of course icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

There will be a new San Marino challenge for FM 2008 of course icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

Can't wait to start again on 08. I may even try taking it to the next level and play it without ever signing a player. Only using youth system products.

Tried it once before in English leagues and it was the best game I ever had. Ultra tough, but Uber rewarding... :0

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marky Mark!:

Whilst I am finding this chalenge quite frustrating, I refuse to by FM08 until I complete this challenge in FM07! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's determination for you. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marky Mark!:

Whilst I am finding this chalenge quite frustrating, I refuse to by FM08 until I complete this challenge in FM07! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good God. I'd still be playing CM03/04 if I had that attitude icon_frown.gif.

Got a new PC today, tried the FM 08 demo and its so much smoother. Wasn't going to bother, but I've installed FM 07, want to see how quick and smooth it is with my San Marino game. It was getting far too slow on the old PC.

2009 / 10 Season Update - Marky Mark

2006/07

Serie C1/B: 5th

Pld 34, Won 15, Drn 11, Lst 8, For 45, Ag 35, GD +10, Pts 56

2007/08

Serie C1/B: 1st

Pld 34, Won 23, Drn 4, Lst 7, For 65, Ag 23, GD +42, Pts 73

2008/09

Serie B: 3rd

Pld 42, Won 22, Drn 11, Lst 9, For 53, Ag 35, GD +18, Pts 77

2009/10

Serie B: 2nd

Pld 42, Won 18, Drn 15, Lst 9, For 53, Ag 32, GD +21, Pts 69

After a very good season last year in which I was unlucky not to get promoted, this season was quite the opposite, not my best season, with a couple of lucky 1-0 wins, but I was lucky enough to grab 2nd place on the last day in what was a very tight league (2 points seperated 2nd - 8th place).

Also, its interesting that despite having 8 points less than last season, I ended up 1 place higher in the league!

2009/10 League Table

Also despite being around $20k over wage budget for most of the season (I went a little crzay with my bosmans at the start of the season), I still managed to make around $2M in profit (on top of the $5M loan the club took out to expand the stadium). I think this is largely due to the team being relocated to another stadium with an 11,500 capacity (which I was filling up fairly regularly.

2009/10 Finances

Another positive (apart from promotion) was that with the excess cash, the team has approved improvements to the training facilities and, more importantly, the youth fecilities. They also approved another increase to the stadium, but that was since blocked by the local council... have to keep on trying I guess.

It will be interesting to see how we go in Serie A this year, whilst Im normally positive I think I will have to make some big signings to aviod relegation, my team just hasnt improved enough from last season.

New Records - Domestic Team

Highest League Position: 2ns in Serie B

Highest Attendance: 11,462 v Chievo Italian Cup 1st Rnd 2.12.2009

Highest Gate Receipts: $700,000(AUD) v Chievo Italian Cup 1st Rnd 2.12.2009

Average Attendance: 10,796

Biggest League Win: 7-0 Catania (H) Serie B 9.12.2009

Most Goals in Match: 4 - Andrea Russotto 7-0 Catania (H) Serie B 9.12.2009

Worst Discipline: Yann Verdon - 3 yellow cards / 2 red cards

Most League Apps for Club: Devis Nossa - 139

Highest Transfer Fee Paid: $500,000(AUD) - Germaine de Jong from PSV - 2.1.2010

Highest Transfer Fee Received: $400,000(AUD) - Mauro Marchano to Wolfsburg - 30.8.2009

Total Transfer Spending: $1,600,000(AUD)

Total Transfer Income: $875,000(AUD)

Internatioal Update

World Ranking

June 2008: 180(ish)

June 2009: 134

June 2010: 132

At the end of last season I had hoopes of breaking into the top 100, however due to not playing many games this year, I only moved up 2 places (but its still an increase!).

In the national team, the top 4 valued players are all from my team, but of those none are all that good, one has managed 4 1st team games, the other three I would have already given the boot from the domestic team if they weren't the stars of the internation team.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2010 / 11 Season Update - Marky Mark

2006/07

2007/08

2008/09

2009/10

2010/11

Serie A: 6th

Pld 38, Won 16, Drn 11, Lst 11, For 49, Ag 37, GD +12, Pts 59

Well I mentioned that I would need some big signings after my lucky promotion from Serie B last season, and that is what I did, going a little crazy with the bosmans and snapping up many fine players for absolutly nothing! With this new team (I had around 5-6 new players in my starting 11), I managed the impossible (no, not winning Serie A), and managed to qualify for Europe by coming 6th! Mind you, 10 teams managed to qualify for Europe this season, so maybe it wasnt such a big effort - As well as the usual 8 qualifiers, Juventus won the UEFA Cup from 11th in Serie A and Lazio got a fair play Europe spot.

Also made it to the semi's in the Italian Cup, which is the first time we'd been past the 1st round!

2010/11 League Table

The star of my great 1st season in Serie A was one of my many bosmans, french striker Matthias Lepiller:

Matthias Lepiller

The only negative for the domestic team was, as usual, finances. My bosman spree left me $20-30k over my wage budget, and despite having around $8M in the bank around Feb 2010, by June 2011 we were down to around -$5M (however the board were still satisfied with the teams finances!). After playing the the English Leagues, I was expecting a decent amount for finishing 6th, but only got around $250k!

However, with European competition next season, and also the team moving to a 21,000 capacity stadium whilst work is done on the ground, Im confident we can start making money again.

2010/11 Finances

2010/11 Awards

Kenneth Stenild

1st Serie A Goalkeeper of the Year 2010-2011

Serie A Team of the Year 2010-2011 (1st XI)

Vadis Odjija-Ofoe

1st Serie A Defender of the Year 2010-2011

1st Serie A Foreign Player of the Year 2010-2011

3rd Serie A Young Player of the Year 2010-2011

Serie A Team of the Year 2010-2011 (1st XI)

Mark Mota - ME!!

3rd Serie A Manager of the Year 2010-2011

Matthias Lepiller

2nd Serie A Young Player of the Year 2010-2011

Devis Nossa

Serie A Team of the Year 2010-2011 (Sub)

Gregory Rondeux

Serie A Team of the Year 2010-2011 (Sub)

Was good to see a few of my players get recognised for their great year, and was interesting that I got 4 players into the team of the year. The next most represented clubs were Fiorentina, Inter and Lazio with 2 each.

Highest Leage Position: 6th in Serie A

Highest Gate Receipts: $775,000AUD v Fiorentina Italian Cup Semi Final 2.2.2011

Most Leage Apps for Club: Devis Nossa - 176

Highest Transfer Fee Paid: $1.9M AUD Kenneth Stenild from AaB - 29.8.2010

Total Transfer Spending: $3.6M AUD

(International team update to follow)

2010 / 11 International Update - Marky Mark!

World Rankings

June 2011: 102

So close to breaking into the top 100, yet so far...

After a stagnant international season last year the season was full of promise. After a upset 0-0 draw with Ukraine in my first Euro Qualifier, I had a string of losses, followed by this:

San Marino 2 v Kazakhstan 0 - My first competitive win!

Whilst it was an even game and I was a little lucky to win it, it took me to the dizzying hights of 7th (out of 8) in Group A of the Euro Qualifiers, and with a chance of passing Latvia who is 6th if I can beat them.

Play wise I still dont have any great players in the national team, the top 3 valued players are reserves in the domestic side, and am yet to see any of my youth players get a full cap. But given the 30 ranking places increase from last season, Im sure that if I can find a star player I can start getting a few more wins!

New Records - International Team

Highest Attendance: 10,605 v Estonia Euro Quals Grp A 9.10.2010

Biggest Win: 2 - 0 v Kazakhstan (H) Euro Quals Grp A 30.3.2011

Most Games Without Winning: 28 - 6.9.2006 to 26.3.2011

Top Goalscorer: Matteo Valli - 5

Most Goals in Match: 2 - Matteo Valli 3-6 Holland (H) Euro Quals Grp A 8.6.2011

Most Assists: Alex Gasperoni - 3

Most Capped Player: Alex Gasperoni - 58

Impressive stuff Mark icon14.gif

I'm just starting season 4 of the challenge in FM08, and I'm not going nearly as well as you (although we do have to start in C2/B now..)

Still waiting around for the National Team manager to quit/be sacked too...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spotg:

Still waiting around for the National Team manager to quit/be sacked too... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To speed the process up, you can add a 2nd manager to the game as San Marino national manager, retire him, then apply for the job with the 1st manager. It worked for me!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spotg:

Still waiting around for the National Team manager to quit/be sacked too... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To speed the process up, you can add a 2nd manager to the game as San Marino national manager, retire him, then apply for the job with the 1st manager. It worked for me! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm wrestling with the ethics of doing that. Doesn't feel right.

But if he's still there in a few seasons time I might have my hand forced!

Toying with the idea of strting this on FM08, looks a good challenge and a long life challenge as well icon_smile.gif

Playing dafuges at the moment, but might fire a game up of this, gives me my regular two games a year pattern I have regulaly done.

Good luck everybody who is still competing in this.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing this on FM08 and its a good challenge. Im having trouble in my 3rd season though iv just got up to serrie C1 but in the serie C cup all of a sudden teams i was better than last year in a lower league are now beating me convincingly...also the ability to actually build a decent sized squad is seriously inhibited by the lack of funds after 2 seasons in C2 and my current players demanding huge wage raises...

still though im confident my team will avoid relegation if we can avoid injuries as my starting 11 i think are too good for this level...i have 5 players that are attracting attention from serie A clubs but the transfer value just isnt enough yet to let them go...

Got into Serie B after 2 seasons in C2 and 2 in C1.

The board have decided San Marino Stadium is a good idea. 10037 seats, undersoil heating, and me lumbered with 7.25m debt.

The national team job shows no signs at all of materialising though, despite them still not having won a match. But some decent regens are starting to appear now, so hopefully things will look up soon.

And I'm going to have to start updating in this thread if Ter doesn't start the new one soon.

icon_mad.gif

icon_wink.gif

As soon as the patch is out I'm looking to start a new game here, so come on Ter icon_wink.gif So is my little brother, he's determined he wants to be San Marino... he's 9 and his sum total of all FM experience is being sacked by Hearts by christmas, then being sacked by Chievo after taking them over icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

I'll be relaunching this for FM2008 once the patch is released guys (no I don't know when that will be) icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good news. icon14.gif I think I'll have a proper go at this this time around.

I'll be relaunching this for FM2008 once the patch is released guys (no I don't know when that will be) icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great stuff.

Although I'll be four and a half season's worth of ****ed off if the parameters of the challenge have changed. icon_biggrin.gif

Great news icon_biggrin.gif hope it's as popular as last time. Started it last week, but stopped to wait for the patch

With the patch out now I've started this for 08, and I'm doing well so Ter had better not tighten up the parameters icon_razz.gif

I've got a very solid defensive/posession based tactic going, and have only let in 7 goals in 14 games. Just 2 games left in 2007, but sitting 3rd in the league, only 2 off the top. As with 06 and 07 though, finances have been an absolute nightmare, too many poor players on long contracts. The funny thing is though that you can attract some very respectable talents from the start - one of my central defenders has 19 jumping, 16 positioning/pace/heading etc, really top quality kid who wanted only £450 a week (I offered 700 due to the massive interest in him, he duly came to me instead of Serie B). Its just hard to bring in anyone else beyond an initial 3 or 4 players, since theres so much deadwood taking up my wage bill. Maybe someone thinking long-term and with more guts than me would benefit by just outright releasing people early on, taking the initial loss for long-term wages freed up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oktober:

With the patch out now I've started this for 08, and I'm doing well so Ter had better not tighten up the parameters icon_razz.gif

I've got a very solid defensive/posession based tactic going, and have only let in 7 goals in 14 games. Just 2 games left in 2007, but sitting 3rd in the league, only 2 off the top. As with 06 and 07 though, finances have been an absolute nightmare, too many poor players on long contracts. The funny thing is though that you can attract some very respectable talents from the start - one of my central defenders has 19 jumping, 16 positioning/pace/heading etc, really top quality kid who wanted only £450 a week (I offered 700 due to the massive interest in him, he duly came to me instead of Serie B). Its just hard to bring in anyone else beyond an initial 3 or 4 players, since theres so much deadwood taking up my wage bill. Maybe someone thinking long-term and with more guts than me would benefit by just outright releasing people early on, taking the initial loss for long-term wages freed up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I spent most of my first two seasons offering the majority of my team to clubs on a free just to get them off the wage bill.

I got enough decent players on loan from Cesena to cover most of the first team, and even so I was losing money hand over fist.

After a while I got enough control over things for the board to start chipping in with donations to the running costs, but even so, it's taken me four seasons to have the board anything but "distraught and devastated at the state of the club's bank balance".

2011 / 12 Season Update - Marky Mark (FM2007)

2006/07

2007/08

2008/09

2009/10

2010/11

Serie A: 6th

<A HREF="http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/4919/leaguetableop3.jpg" TARGET=_blank>2011/12

Serie A: 3rd

Pl 38, Won 18, Drn 10, Lst 10, For 40, Ag 26, GD +14, Pts 64</A>

After a good season last year, I surprised myself by managing to sign a couple of great players and again improving, finishing 3rd this season. Although that is a little misleading, as I was sitting in 6th for most of the season until all of the teams above me went on a losing streak and alowed me to grab a Champ League spot! With a couple more signings this season I think I could challange for the Serie A title (Ive prob got 2 years left before a couple of my stars start fading)... bring it on!

Positions Graph

In the Italian Cup I was unluckily knocked out in the Qtr Final 1-0 on aggregate by Fiorentina, who went on to win the cup, and I also made it to the Qtr Final of the EURO Cup, where I was knocked out 5-4 on agregate by Aston Villa.

The side that got me there

As usual, there is normally a star signing that stands out most seasons, and this one was no different, with my star signing being Sebastian Giovinco, who I signed on a $6.75M co-ownership deal from Roma, he is now worth a club record $39M (AUD). He also scored a record breaking 13 goals in 11 European games, breaking the (in game) European goal scoring record of 11 by and Inter player in the Champ League (unfortunatly he could only score 5 League goals in 38 League games!)

Sebastian Giovinco

To top all this off, my finances are also surprisingly healthy. After being way over wage budget last season I sold / released around 30 players this season (also bringing in 17), and made a profit of just under $14M for the season, turing my $4.5M bank overdraft into a balance of $8.2M

2011/12 Finanaces

2011/12 Awards

Pascal Wildiers

2nd Serie A Defender of the Year 2011/12

2nd Serie A Foreign Player of the Year 2011/12

Serie A Team of the Year 2011/12 (1st XI)

Just one of my players got recognised (3 awards), opposed to 5 players (9 awards) least season, guess it was a much bigger team effort this season (although I was a little disapointed for the ones who missed out!)

Highest League Position: 3rd in Serie A

Highest Attendance: 26,988 v Everton EURO Cup Grp A 24.11.2011

Highest Gate Receipts: $2,600,000(AUD) v Everton EURO Cup Grp A 24.11.2011

Average Attendance: 23,067

Most Assists: Matthias Lepiller - 17

Most League Apps for Club: Devis Nossa - 213

Highest Transfer Fee Paid: $6,750,000(AUD) -Sebastian Giovinco from Roma 18.8.2011 (CO)

Highest Transfer Fee Received: $1,200,000(AUD) - Nicola Chiaruzzi to Saint-Etienne 9.7.2011

Total Transfer Spending: $11,250,000(AUD)

Total Transfer Income: $9,750,000(AUD)

Other Records

Most European goals (season): Sebastian Giovinco - 13

Wow, by only 11/12? It took me up til about 18ish to be up there if I remember right, and even then I didnt make as high as 3rd in Italy.

I've been handed an embarrassing lifeline. With one game to go, just outside the playoff spots, I limped to a pretty dire 0-0 draw with the team in 15th. However, Portosumagga went one better and lost 3-1 to the team in 16th, meaning my dismal point has put me into the 5th and final playoff spot. Now my final game? At home, in the national stadium, against the league leaders, already crowned champions with nothing to play for.

Sound familiar?

2011/12 International Update - Marky Mark! (FM2007)

World Rankings

Nov 2011: 96 (record)

June 2012: 102

YAY, we finally broke into the top 100! (albeit briefly)

After having our first competitive win last season, we achieved another two milestones, breaking into the top 100, and not coming last in a qualifying group!

We came a respectable 7th (out of 8) in the recent Euro Champ Quals with 1 win and 3 draws (10 Losses), edging out Kazakhstan on GD (we had GD of -16 compared to Kazakhstan's -35).

Not much else of not happened this season, friendlies were hit and miss, but with a tough world cup qualifier group could be time for some more upsets.

Im still waiting for my youth setup to produce a half decent player to get a national cap!!

Most Games without Losing: 2 - 27.8.2011 to 3.9.2011 (IT TOOK ME 5 YEARS TO ACHIEVE THIS??)

Most Capped Player: Alex Gasperoni - 63

Oi Ter! get on with it!

I'm itching to start this challenge, looks like good fun. I was gonna try doing it by only signing San Marinese players for the club side, but I realise that would probably just doom me to C2B forever and lead to the sack. I'm not gonna take over the National side from the start as that feels a bit artificial, hopefully the incumbent will get the boot eventually when the FA realise there's a new uber-talented half-Scottish manager in town. icon_biggrin.gif

Come on Ter, you designed the ball, dont drop it icon_wink.gif

Sadly, I didnt go up. 2-1 loss at home, then a 3-2 win away would have done it on goal difference in England, but since I was only in 5th the team above me in the league went through instead.

My assistant seems to have gone mental in the second season. He's now giving Dei 1 star and saying I should offload, but he's got all stats at least over 11 and is capable of doing a job. He's also got my 3rd choice backup left back down as a 5-star leading Serie C2 star and pretty blindly hates anyone who comes into the club, ie defenders with 13 key stats nowhere near good enough. I'm totally sure after about 2 games they'll all be raving about our rock-solid defence, but he's very unhappy with them.

Still, season 2and I've trimmed the fat and beefed up the... meat? Dodgy analogies aside we should make a real run for the title this year, although to keep the wage bill down low we could well end up with some glaring holes if anyone goes down to injury for any period of time.

I think I'll have a go at this........

1 Month Gone:

Got hired after setting myself as an international footballer, and San Marino lost 8-0 to Cyprus. Aplied for the job, and lo! Menus are now v. confusing however...

Mixed friendly results in club-land, however made a good signing (6 stars for 40k, pretty darn good!) and well on the way to C2-B Glory!

10 games into season 2, and I'm unbeaten icon_smile.gif A couple too many draws for my liking, but considering I've been sitting out a pretty bad injury crisis with a very small squad, I'm happy with the return.

Towards the end of last season, I let the veteran player I had appointed captain go to get off the wage bill, and appointed my 23 year old rock solid central defender as captain. He was concerned at the pressure I was putting on him at his age and unhappy with the responsibility, so when the new season came around, I chose instead to go with Obafemi Martins' brother, who had done a great job for me. Lo and behold, my defender sulked about losing the captaincy until well into October, despite struggling to deal with the stress of it before. He's finally calmed down now though and I'm negotiating a new contract, so I should be able to keep hold of him.

Sadly some poor defending on match day 14 resulted in trailing by 3 goals at half time, and despite some noble attacking efforts clawing 2 back I finally suffered my first loss of the season icon_frown.gif Up next, a trip to my old club Brindisi, who are massively overperforming in their first season up, only a point behind me in 3rd.

My South American knowledge from my Spanish feeder is paying off - two very good kids coming for free, one on the 1st of Feb, and one at the start of next season. Thats both seasons non-EU allowance used up, but I'm taking a long term view and going for foreign youngsters - hopefully after 5 years I'll be able to field them for the national team, so a 20 year old is more useful than a 30 year old for that.

Hmm, I'm concerned.

At the start of the year, I was given the task of making the playoffs. Over the course of the season I slipped down the league a fair bit, down to 9th at one point - and they were utterly delighted with me for getting a respectable league position. As I climbed back up, their happiness went further and further up, until in 6th the bar was totally full.

Right at the end of the season, i won 6 games in a row and climbed back up all the way to 4th, making the playoffs... and they're just satistfied. As soon as I got back into the playoff spots, the confidence bar halved, the board would rather I finish mid table than in the playoffs, despite that they asked me to make them at the start of the season. Now I'm getting news items saying they're not going to offer me a new deal...

I beat all the teams around me in the playoffs comfortably in my run in to the end of the season so I know beating them is very possible, but I've got no clue what the board are going to do about it and my job, surely a bug and another pretty major confidence one icon_frown.gif

3-1 in Serravalle and 1-1 away (with 7 first team players suspended/injured/losing 3-0 to Iceland) puts me through to the playoff final against Spal... and the confidence bar is full that we're 'on course to win promotion'. Make up your minds!

I've probably done the best overall - coming 4th means a scaled back win bonus, and the playoff semi and final in a full house adds to our gate receipts icon_razz.gif The board should be thanking me for getting into the playoffs instead of straight promotion!

Memo to Spal: When one yellow card away from suspension, it is poor judgment to then get yourself booked in the first leg of a playoff final. It is also stupid beyond belief to elbow someone in the face in the 94th minute of said final.

0-0 at home, I've got to go there but they have 4 players suspended, including their captain. I need a win, since they finished ahead of me in the league. Wish me luck!

Lost 1-0. The long-term aspirations are now very very low because I have apparently 'failed to establish myself in the Serie C2/B' by making 5th and 4th, the playoffs twice.

I'm guessing this'll be it then, my contract wont be renewed. Very, very disappointed since I've had an intended career game cut short by a bug in the long-term confidence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oktober:

...my contract was not renewed.

Wow, thats absolutely gutting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's truly shitty. Unlucky mate.

Did you have the patch applied? That sorted the confidence problem for me, and I'm now mid-way through season 5 and attempting to get out of Serie B.

Interesting aside. We've just moved into "San Marino Stadium", capacity over 10k. The National Team however, have decided to keep Olimpico...

2012 / 13 Season Update - Marky Mark!

2006/07 - Serie C1/B: 5th

2007/08 - Serie C1/B: 1st

2008/09 - Serie B: 3rd

2009/10 - Serie B: 2nd

2010/11 - Serie A: 6th

2011/12 - Serie A: 3rd

Pl 38, Won 18, Drn 10, Lst 10, For 40, Ag 26, GD +14, Pts 64

<A HREF="http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5715/leagutablevj8.jpg" TARGET=_blank>2012/13 - Serie A: 5th

Pl 38, Won 18, Drn 8, Lst 12, For 43, Ag 28, GD +15, Pts 62

CL: 1st Knockout Round</A>

After last year's sucess in reaching 3rd, and with a few of my players reaching their peak, I thought I could seriously chalange for the title and I bought a couple of big name signings as well as investing in youth from around Europe, spending a record $32M for the season (luckily I also sold $28M worth of players). However, it wasnt too be, despite keeping largely the same team as last year plus a couple of new players, my team just didnt play to the level I was expecting (with 2 of my top midfielders over 30, maybe my team was past its peak?), we missed out on the CL next season by finishing 5th, and will have to settle for the Losers European Cup.

In the Italian Cup I made it to the Semi Finals before being knocked out Fiorentina (2nd year in a row).

In the CL, I did ok, breezed through the qualifying match against a nobody, but was then a little lucky to qualify 2nd in my group with 1 win and 5 draws. However my luck didn't last much longer, being knocked out in the first knockout round 2-3 by Liverpool. However the money received from that experience was very handy!

The side that got me there

As usual with my career games, the longer they go for, the less player I have from my home nation. I am now down 2 two Itallians in my starting 11 (although one of them is my star player).

Quite a few of my players are in their late 20's - early 30's, which is a little worrying, but Ive got a feeling that my youth will do alright to fill the gaps where needed (see below).

2012/13 Finances

Due largly to a few co-ownership deals at the start of this season, as well as the prize money from the CL, my bank balance has shot up to a record $40M. Time to spend big in the next transfer window I think!

2012/13 Awards

Espen Evenstad

Champions League Dream Team 2012/13 (1st XI)

Only the one award picked up by any of my players this season, and it was one I didnt even know existed! Not a bad effort from someone I picked up on a free last year, and at 23, is the youngest in the dream team.

Highesr Transfer Fee Paid: $11M (AUD) - Renato from Inter 2.1.2013

Highest Transfer Fee Received: $7.5M(AUD) - Espen Evenstad to Roma (CO) 19.7.2012

Total Transfer Spending: $35.5M(AUD)

Total Transfer Income: $33.5M(AUD)

Other - Performance of Domestic U20 Squad

Now I dont normally even notice how my U20 squad goes, but this season they grabbed my attention by achieving this:

U20 League Table - Domination!

Thats right, somehow my U20 side has won the league (for the 3rd year in a row) by a massive 48 points, with a GD of +106, drawing only 1 game (the last one of the season), and winning the rest, including the U20 Cup!

In doing so they smashed a lot of records, including 40 games won in a row (so annoyed that they drew the last game of the season!)

Whilst I am used to my youth sides taking out the youth leagues more often than not, has anyone seen anything like this before?

2012/13 International Update - Marky Mark!

World Rankings

June 2012: 102

June 2013: 86 (New Record!)

Another good season for me in which I climbed into the top 90 of the world rankings and have so far had two wins half way into my World Cup Qualifiers (against Azerbaijan and Georgia), which has taken me up to 5th (out of 8)!

World Cup 2014 Qualification Group - half way

In some bad news, my most capped player, Alex Gasperoni, after being given the boot from my domestic team and not being picked up by anyone else, has retired at age 28, despite being in the national squad starting 11, which is anoying! I guess I'll have to look out for that in the future and sign any unattached national players to make sure the dont retire early!

Once again, no youth products look like making it into the national side, but Ive had youth and training facilities upgraded again, so lets see if that can do something!

Highest Attendance: 17,926 v Azerbaijan World Cup Quals (EUR)Grp 3 1.6.2013

Most Games Without Conceding: 2 - 23.3.2013 to 1.6.2013 (AGAIN, 7 YEARS TO ACHIEVE THIS??)

Most Capped Player: Alex Gasperoni - 75

Archived