quick poll for school work? ok if you dont want to write down

Incidentally, maddog, from what I understand of psychology as it relates to game-development:

People's need for "immediate success" is much higher at a younger age. Both genders are still finding their place in the world, and part of that is building confidence through success.

That's the key to a successful 13-35 (target age) game: frequent, small, easy-to-achieve successes. Think "Super Mario Brothers" and the like: every successful jump is a success, and you don't have to wait very long from one to the next. Same with first-person shooters: every bad guy you down, every little firefight you survive, is a success. And, if you get fragged, so? You go spawn again. No downside.

As people mature, their needs-from-a-game change.

Women tend to begin to place a higher value on socialization. Thus, the success of gaming sites like pogo.com. In some respects, it isn't about the games, its about the socialization.

Men, on the other hand, begin seeking larger emotional payoffs from harder and longer-term challenges. They tend to especially enjoy building something that lasts.

FM and the sports-management genre fulfill the latter, especially if you start with a small team and try to work your way up through promotions, job changes, etc. You can happily build a small team into a European power, and it brings you a huge emotional payoff when you finally achieve it.

So, I'd actually expect this game to appeal more to adult males than to teenagers, believe it or not!

(If you're enjoying thinking about this, it tends to explain trash-talking, cheating, the appeal of dafuge's challenge and the LLM forum, and a lot of other things about the FM community!)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nezimhalilovic:

i'm 29 and i'm banned by my girlfriend from playing. i play by proxy by reading the posts lol

in terms of first fm games played you're all amateurs: i remember playing as anco united when i was about 12 years old on my amiga. does anyone else remember this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're thinking of Player Manager, the manager version of the mighty Kick Off. I'm pretty sure you could change the team name...

For the OP, also 29, been playing since the 92/93 version and more than slightly concerned that I am only marginally less addicted than I was then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wwfan:

37. Research management for a living which makes FM a busman's holiday of sorts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But you do love it so.

Anyone think Amaroq's been thinking too hard about this?

I actually enjoy the forums about as much as I enjoy the game, especially the emotional reactions expressed. My research topic is about crafting out an authentic yet engaged response to the ambiguities inherhent in normative control management systems. The forums provide copious amounts of evidence of unreflexive zealotry and cynicism as well as highlighting those who possess a more reflexive critical engagement. I find them a very interesting resource.

Machiavellian manipulator, me???

29 been playing since the very first championship manager from makers domark, when players had fake names. played the next installment when van basten was god, through the days of nii lamptey, robbie keane, cherno samba, toton zolo makouko, cm italia, cm espania, up until the present incarnatioon.

28, wife (who also loves the game - one more of us, one less of them!!!) and a baby daughter (her turn will come!!!

Been playing since 97/98 and used to have time to play for days on end, now I have to forgo sleep if I want to play for more than 2 hours!!!

Originally posted by nezimhalilovic:

i'm 29 and i'm banned by my girlfriend from playing. i play by proxy by reading the posts lolQUOTE]

You either need to have a word with her or dump her! icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by madog308:

i was just wondering how old people are on this forum. because it seems weird to me that adults play this.

so could you please tell me your age and how long u hav been playing.

thankicon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bl00dy students. I suppose you think teachers live in the cupboards they store their chalksticks icon_rolleyes.gif

Mate, I'm 46, I've been playing CM/FM for 10 years and guess what - I'm a university professor. icon_razz.gif

[True, by the way]

I'm 28 and have been playing the game for 8 years. Before that I never owned a PC and my best mate used to play it when I was at his but I thought it looked very boring.

Only once I got a PC of my own at uni did I realise just how wrong I was.

I now live with my GF but still manage to get a good few hours a night gametime in. I've stuck my PC in the front room so I can play while she watches soaps, and I let her play SIMS for a bit every now and then to keep her happy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

Hard to picture a 9 year old really understanding this game, tbh. Then again, it was a simpler game in 2001. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Dad was a big fan and so taught me how to play.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chilli_puzzle:

the england circketers play FM, i remeber collingwood said so in an interview a while back </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a pity they don't play cricket icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

first picked up premier manager 98 when i was 10, then LMA untill i was 12 then the champ manager series then opted for fm when they split, im now 17 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thts strange exactly the same as me. apart from im 19 and can remember watching my dad play the orginal champ managers on the omega!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The forums provide copious amounts of evidence of unreflexive zealotry and cynicism </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Odd, I don't recall seeing you on the OTF. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joeyt:

I'm 14 years 6 months and 6 days.

Approximately icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgot to say that I've been playing since CM 01/02. Iirc it was the last one before the 2D pitch

37 MARRIED....I'm from AMERICA and I am addicted the real football and FM...My wife does not get it and she thinks I am too old to be playing this game. Meanwhile she is reading magazine articles about Britney Spears so I dont feel bad about playing FM one bit...It is a GREAT game. Besides, it's not like it is a video game like FIFA or Pro eve..FM seems more suited for the older crowd....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wwfan:

Anyone think Amaroq's been thinking too hard about this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_razz.gif

See, that's what you get when you get somebody whose two degrees are Psychology and Computer Science, and whose profession is "game developer": somebody who thinks about the psychological reasons behind game playing. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Meanwhile she is reading magazine articles about Britney Spears so I dont feel bad about playing FM one bit.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely you don't mean to leave her to such a horrible fate, man!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

I just find it hilarious that wwfan, of all people, would accuse ANYONE else of thinking too hard about FM. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you never heard of natural talent??

Archived