but then i met Arsenal...

I play Liverpool in an average game. average except my 9 straight losses to Arsenal, (or something like that).

Arsenal plays, a straight 4-4-2 a little attacking minded, and very quick short pasing. Actually I do the same (though 4-2-2-2) , but against arsenal it seems very ineffective.

Reduce closing down maybe? or 4-1-4-1 counter attack style?

Any ideer?

They are strong in midfield. Their midfielders are free to do anything which is very difficult to defend against. You can analyse how do they play and you will see that they have quite a number of players to have often forward run which is the main threat in your penalty box.

I used a 4-3-2-1 tactic against them (4 DCs, 3 MCs, AMR, AML and ST). The main things in this tactic is to control them with my 3 MCs. I have those three MCs with similar setting which are neither very attacking nor defensive. Once 3 of them win against their midfielders, then my wingers will be operating on both flanks, drawing the attention of their wide players and even their MCs.

Next I have my ST with mixed forward run where I could have maximum 4 players to control the centre area. I used this tactic against them in the FA cup final and I just isolate their attacking, causing them to have no shots at all, not even a shot off target.

Reducing closing down will just give their players much more freedom to set up the attack. So I would say that as long as you do not have too much different in closing down from your defensive line to your strikers, then you should be able to defend them well.

Hope this help and good luck. I could upload this tactic if you don't mind :-)

I play as Spurs and I always take the game to Arsenal. Not because they are Arsenal and I am Spurs and yada yada yada.... its simply because over the generations of this game, I have found that this is the only way to beat them.

I play a fairly direct attacking game.

LAM

Archived