Through Balls -which players? + how often?

I have struggled how much to setup though balls. This is my setup:

___9__11___

8__10__6__7

3__5___4__2

_____1_____

1__Rare

2__Rare

3__Rare

4__Rare

5__Rare

6__Often

7__Mixed

8__Mixed

9__Mixed

10_Often

11_Mixed

is it too much, too little, or how do you prioritate it...

Any coment...? :-)

usually i only set AMC to often through ball. but my DMC (set to mixed) seems to often launch through ball too.

I also have a DC with high passing ability and technique (a DC converted from DMC). My DC often contributed 5-7 assists a season from that position.

A lot depends on what strategy your using meaning when playing attacking, more through balls and when playing defensive, less through balls.

If you’ve got pace up front and playing an attacking strategy, I’d have both full backs, both wingers, your more attacking central midfielder and your striker that drops deeper playing through balls often. If you see that a particular player is giving the ball away a lot when trying to play a through ball then lower it down.

The important thing to remember when setting it up is has the player got a good option of playing a through ball? For example, it’s no use having a full back playing through balls often if the winger on his side hasn’t got the ability to run in behind his opponent. Does that make sense?

I don't keep through balls to a specific position but rather I apply it to players who have others running beyond them, or players dropping deep towards them. I also don't like more than 1 player trying it as imo it upsets any sort of balance and can give possession away cheaply if you try it with too many players.

I don't keep through balls to a specific position but rather I apply it to players who have others running beyond them, or players dropping deep towards them. I also don't like more than 1 player trying it as imo it upsets any sort of balance and can give possession away cheaply if you try it with too many players.

Players running beyond them I understand but what's the theory of playing through balls to a player that's moving the other way towards them Cleon?

I generally have 3 players playing through balls often and don't have a problem with giving the ball away.

Players running beyond them I understand but what's the theory of playing through balls to a player that's moving the other way towards them Cleon?

I generally have 3 players playing through balls often and don't have a problem with giving the ball away.

If a player is agile enough and running towards a player who does a through ball to him, he can turn and split the defence and leave his marker for dead. Think of players like Rooney in the real world they do it a lot.

I'm pretty sure you don't dominate possession though if you've got 3 players doing through balls often. It's almost impossible to get them to hit every single ball accurate. Thus resulting in giving possession away.

Cheers, ,footynut and Cleon!

Thank you! It gave some good perpectives to consider, for tests in my next matches :-)

I wrongly thought it was only to strikers. But Ie, My wingers are very attacking mentally, so it might be effective to my fullbacks against 3-5-2.

One question more:

If you are playing against a team which is defending like... hmm... Greece in 2004, I mean very compact, strong and effective. and you need a goal.

would you then single out the best midfield to often (keeping in mind, your best passer will propably be closed down), or a few guys to mixed?

If a player is agile enough and running towards a player who does a through ball to him, he can turn and split the defence and leave his marker for dead. Think of players like Rooney in the real world they do it a lot.

I'm pretty sure you don't dominate possession though if you've got 3 players doing through balls often. It's almost impossible to get them to hit every single ball accurate. Thus resulting in giving possession away.

I've always thought of the player running in behind the defence and hadn't really thought of the player moving towards his team mate but I understand what you mean now.

I still dominate possession in my games although I play a narrow formation with 3 players in midfield so would expect to have good possession. I'm predicted to finish bottom as well!

Cheers, ,footynut and Cleon!

Thank you! It gave some good perpectives to consider, for tests in my next matches :-)

I wrongly thought it was only to strikers. But Ie, My wingers are very attacking mentally, so it might be effective to my fullbacks against 3-5-2.

One question more:

If you are playing against a team which is defending like... hmm... Greece in 2004, I mean very compact, strong and effective. and you need a goal.

would you then single out the best midfield to often (keeping in mind, your best passer will propably be closed down), or a few guys to mixed?

If the other team are all behind the ball then through balls become somewhat useless in most cases. As there are far too many defensive players to even find a gap to exploit.

You might want to drop the defensive line deep so they actually coming forward slightly more, leaving space which you may then use for through balls.

Another point to bear in mind when considering through balls to strikers is how deep the oppositions line is. If its deep then through balls are likely to be swept up by the last defender or the keeper.

If this is the case, what I have found to work well is to have my MCA RWB often (assuming he is capable), when he does this, he commits the DC's to close him down, when this happens through balls are amazing. But you have to create the enviroment for this to happen.

Like Cleon said, there is no quicker way to lose possession in the game than having lots of players on TTB often. Well..... Long shots for me is a close call.

LAM

Archived