Ideas I'm going to try in FM10 with this new Competitions Editor

So one of the new killer features of the new edition (on top of many other good ones as seen in the demo) is the chance to create your own Competitions and Leagues.

I've been considering what could be done and will be focusing on a few different projects if the editor will allow them to be created - a couple will be straigtforward and should work as designed - some may get a little more complicated.

1. Liechtenstein National Football League

This will be one of my main pet wants - the Liechtenstein Cup already exists in real life, however - all their clubs potter about in the lower reaches of the Swiss Leagues.

I intend to create a National League featuring the 8 or so Liechtenstein clubs - and will also bring FC Vaduz back in from the Swiss Premier back to their home League.

The Cup will also be created - along with a "League Cup" style competition, featuring a group stage and knockouts.

2. Other Similar Leagues

I'll also be looking at similar replications of the real life structures for Andorra, the Faroe Islands, Luxembourg and San Marino.

3. All-Ireland League

This could be where it gets tricky cross border wise.

I intend on creating on structure for clubs both in the Republic and Northern Ireland to compete in one League.

Premier and First Division made up of clubs from both sides of the border, and a Regionalised 2nd Division of two groups, the top two in each section will then playoff against each other Conference North and South style to take the relevant Promotion and Relegation spots.

All-Ireland FA Cup open to all clubs on a free draw basis and the existing Setanta Cup to be kept in as a League Cup competition.

4. MLS EXPANDED (also same for the A-League if they have mooted Expansion club plans)

I intend in getting rid of the current Conferences structure of the MLS - and have one Division featuring not only the 15 existing teams - but all possible Expansion clubs which have been hinted at in the future - namely:

Philadelphia Union

Vancouver Whitecaps

Portland Timbers

Atlanta

Birmingham

Miami/Barcelona

Montreal Impact

New York Cosmos

Ottawa

St Louis

Bringing the total up to 25 clubs in an English style competition - I may run it in a closed shop format - meaning no Relegation, or I may bring into play Promotion and Relegation involving the USL.

Cups remain the same

1. Liechtenstein National Football League

This will be one of my main pet wants - the Liechtenstein Cup already exists in real life, however - all their clubs potter about in the lower reaches of the Swiss Leagues.

I intend to create a National League featuring the 8 or so Liechtenstein clubs - and will also bring FC Vaduz back in from the Swiss Premier back to their home League.

Interesting idea, but there's only seven Liechtenstein clubs (including Vaduz), so I think a league would become boring.

What I was thinking of doing, was creating the Liechtenstein Cup and opening the third tier (and possibly even fourth tier) of the Swiss league so more Liechtenstein teams are manageable (and more players available for the national team).

But that's dependent on a couple of unknowns:

Can the game recognise the Liechtenstein Cup winners as eligible for the Europa League?

The third level (and below) of the Swiss league contains reserve teams of bigger clubs, but they cannot IRL be promoted to the second level. Can this be set in the editor?

As you say all cups will remain, does that also include the MLS Cup?

I have also been considering tinkering with the USA league structure into a more respectable format, though I do still like the idea of keeping the MLS cup intact. If possible I would like the league to end as normal with the top teams being champions, but then have the top 8 teams then compete in a separate competition being the MLS Cup.

As you say all cups will remain, does that also include the MLS Cup?

I have also been considering tinkering with the USA league structure into a more respectable format, though I do still like the idea of keeping the MLS cup intact. If possible I would like the league to end as normal with the top teams being champions, but then have the top 8 teams then compete in a separate competition being the MLS Cup.

tbh - the MLS thing would be the last one I would look at if I get bored somewhere down the line

I've got a rough plan for a pyramid system in Australia, i've posted it in this forum (not meaning to spam this one! Just thought i'd mention it for anyone interested as it was mentioned in the OP) Going to try and do the same for the USA, not that i have a problem with their current structure, i just think a pyramid makes for more interesting long term play. I'm hoping to do a 3 divisional structure (20 team Premier League, not sure how many in the others) and then have 4 regional leagues (North east, south east, south west, north west) sitting underneath. Been looking on wikipedia for details of defunct clubs that i can revive to pad it out, planning to give any ones i do revive the same budget and reputation and putting them in the regional leagues to make it fairer for them. Very early planning stages atm though!

With the limited number of clubs in such places as Andorra, the Faroe Islands, Luxembourg and San Marino... I was thinking of having one "Super League" for all of them... not sure if it would work with the new editor. Was going to call it the European Phoenix League.

• 2 weeks later...

There should be a guide... I don't know if this is available via the installation or if it will be part of the online manual. Probably the latter.

Once the beta testers get clearance, probably from tomorrow night, the editor gurus will be able to help out here with specific questions also. Please don't consider it rude if questions don't get answered before then. :)

Glad you're finding it easy though, WCR :) Nice, isn't it?

There should be a guide... I don't know if this is available via the installation or if it will be part of the online manual. Probably the latter.

Once the beta testers get clearance, probably from tomorrow night, the editor gurus will be able to help out here with specific questions also. Please don't consider it rude if questions don't get answered before then. :)

Glad you're finding it easy though, WCR :) Nice, isn't it?

tbh - a guide would be superb - I'm having to reinstall the game due to the Database arseing up when I was trying to see if I could create this All-Ireland League

You don't edit the database. You only create the xml files which apply changes to the database. It shouldn't be possible for you to arse anything up - just save your xml regularly with different names (I use Build Numbers), and if anything goes wrong simply reload the database and load an older build of your xml or start again.

OK - finished what looks like four pretty decent League setups.

Liechtenstein National League - with Reserve League, and National Cup (the Cup includes the Reserve sides of the 6 National League clubs, as it is in real life)

================================================================

Republic of Ireland League - Expanded the Premier Division to 14 clubs, which splits in half after everybody has played each other home and away, and then you play each club in the section on one more occassion (making it a 32 game League campaign), bottom 4 are relegated.

First Division expanded to 16, top 3 automatically promoted, the next 4 go into a play off for the other spot, no relegation in force.

Reserve Championship has been activated as it is in real life.

FAI Cup and League Cup staged as normal - have replaced the Setanta Cup with one massive North-South Tournament - 8 groups of 7, top 4 in each group go through to a knockout tournament.

Welsh Leagues - Split the Welsh Premier into 2 divisions of 10 with the Cymru Alliance and Welsh League Division 1 set to playable with Promotion and Relegation in operation between the two levels, Cup and League Cup as normal

Think I've also got a workable San Marino setup ready to go.

League is as irl - 2 groups - one of 7 clubs, the other of 8, top 2 in each go to Championship Playoff Knockout stage.

Set it to play each other in the Group 4 times, meaning either a 24 or 28 game regular season.

Cup is three groups of 5 (as irl) - top 2 in each group plus best other 2 go through to knockout.

Federal Trophy is 4 clubs from the League chosen at random for a weekend kickabout

This is as close as we're likely to get it irl - will upload them on Friday once the patch comes out and I've ran through a season with it.

One thing I did find with the San Marino one - although I specified Reserve and Youth Leagues - they didn't appear in game...

One thing I did find with the San Marino one - although I specified Reserve and Youth Leagues - they didn't appear in game...

Might be worth checking the clubs don't have 'no reserve (or youth) fixtures' ticked under the club details. If they all have it ticked I guess that would probably stop it working.

If that isn't working for some reason (and it should, but if...), the other, extreme, alternative is to go to each club individually and add Reserve/U18 teams. You could then manually add Reserve / U18 leagues and cups if you felt so inclined, and place the Reserve/U18 squads into these as appropriate...

I wouldn't suggest doing that ordinarily, but if it's San Marino there are probably not so many clubs...

Aye - that's what I did with Liechtenstein as the Reserve Clubs play in the Cup

Do not run the Liechtenstein league together with the original Swiss league. The game will crash, as you will have all Liechtenstein clubs twice. ;)

Shouldn't be the case as when creating the new League you assign the Liechtenstein clubs into that new division - moving them from the Swiss setup into their own one

There is one big problem: Vaduz. The club is hard coded in the game and will always participate in the Europa League. If you create a new Vaduz the game will crash. If you don´t create a new Vaduz, you can't add it to a new Liechtenstein league.

Archived