Star rating system is ridiculous

Because it doesnt make sense, Man U will still pursue those players as a top priority because they are the best in the world. They dont just think theyre only a bit better so its not worth bothering.

What is the point of a rating system where no one can achieve the maximum rating? All you are doing is just compressing all the other players into fewer categories therefore making it much harder to tell them apart.

I take yours and the OP's point. It is absurd that the world's best players might only get a rating of 3/5 or 4/5. After all the world's best players are the ultimate benchmark whereby we can judge others. In FM our own players are being used as the benchmark. But as Ackter says, the star rating works if it is used in conjunction with a written assessment. You could arguably do away with the star system altogether because it probably confuses the issue.

Remember in the past it used to be a lot worse. A player would be described as, for example, a decent signing with no further assessment, which was a bit woolly to be honest. That old system is still in place in FMH09 but will be changed this year after we moaned about it.

Im not convinced it just relates to your team either. A 5 star player in the CCC becomes a 2 star player once you get promoted and the star system is worthless for top level management and I ignore it completely or Id never sign anyone.

The 5* CCC becomes a 2* EPL player as your team is now in the EPL and your players are being assessed in comparison to bottom of the table EPL teams as it is how the game now rates your club. The stars are based on both your current squad and your clubs current level of play. So EPL teams in the CL have higher standards then ones fighting for relegation.

yeah right, so Real Madrid didnt go all out for years to sign a player because hes the best in the world.

They would just go "meh, hes slightly better than what we have already"

What rating does C. Ronaldo get in the Real Madrid team? I've not got the Strawberry demo but I bet he rates better then 3 stars. Plus he has a Worldwide reputation, and you can see just by looking at his stats that he is a class player. The star system isn't the be all and end all of judging talent.

Slightly off-topic, but on the Cech issue, look at the goals from yesterday. Would one of the top five keepers in the world have conceded them or the similar ones that Cech has been at fault for recently? Would such a keeper cop many lectures from team mates about lack of communication or be doing the talking himself?

At the moment, on current form, I'm not sure he'd scrape into the top five keepers in the Premiership, let alone the world.

But he's relatively young for a keeper and could easily have another decade or so at this level. What is it they say about form and class?

So looking at that it's pretty easy to see which players would improve your squad - it's then a matter of comparing attributes and scout reports to decide whether they'd make a noticeable difference to the team considering the way you play.

I dont play as Man U, I play as a CCC team who gets promoted and virtually everyone who will come to me has the same rating.

It may have changed for this years game but before it was completely and utterly worthless once you got promoted.

For me know the scout reports actually mean something! It is taylored towards your current players and not just a general star donated for a players ability that does not mean much. The best ive seen is M. Essien at four and a half, not because hes the best player in the world but because hes better then my current holding role Y. Toure. It now makes much more sense!!! :)

I think the basic undertone is - the better the stars the better the player, and the bigger gap between your current players and the potential signing etc the more likely you are to have a better player.

And as for Cech, he's long since lost it - he doesn't have the confidence to come for balls anymore, he doesn't really command his area and if it wasn't for the 4 infront of him, he'd look a lot worse. I wouldn't put him in the premierships top 5, let alone the world top 5.

I would agree also. VDSar ain't really that top notch either. I used to rate Cech hard but he is a shadow of his former self after the head clash.

LMAO! Brilliant. Reina is pants. Chelsea have at most 3 truly world class players, in that they are within the top 10 in the world in that position. They are, imo, Lampard, Drogba and Cech. In relation to the rest of his team, cech should have the same rating as Lampard and Drogba as he is that important to the team.

Reina > Cech

• 4 weeks later...
The star system goes from 1 - 7 stars and is relative to your clubs stature & other players. So if for example Lionel Messi is at Barcelona he will be on 3/4 stars which is good for the team. Put him at Stoke/Hull/Burnley and he should by 5/6 stars. Put him at Notts County/Darlington and he should be 7 stars. It is also relative somewhat to the position putting them in, if your assistant report puts them out of position it rates them for their suitability to there.

Ryan Shawcross is rated as 3.5 stars in my Stoke side, as is Ronaldo (brazilian), I'd suggest scouting those 2 and see if they come back as the same for your side.

I think you would find that stars system is linked to your own teams objectives that you select.

Thus. If, atthe start of the season the board asks you for your expectations and you say, 'Top Half finish' Messi would be given 5 as he would be well and truly good enough to get a top half finish. That is, he is above and beyond what you nee dto achieve that.

Whereas if you said, 'Title Challenge' his star rating goes down because its very hard to win the league even with the best players.

so, It depends on what you want to achieve.

Having said that i don't agree with that - I think the best player in the world should be say 4 1/2 stars even in the best team aiming for the highest.

According to OPTA there are at least 5 keepers in the premier league better than Cech at the moment:

1) Robert Green (West Ham)

2) Jussi Jaaskelainen (Bolton)

3) Brian Jensen (Burnley)

4) Brad Friedel (Villa)

5) Thomas Sorensen (Stoke)

Now that, is fact, you cannot argue with OPTA.

According to OPTA there are at least 5 keepers in the premier league better than Cech at the moment:

4) Brad Friedel (Villa)

Of course you can!

The goalkeepers of poorer teams are always going to have the better stats aren't they?

They have much more to do. I notice none of the big 4 have a keeper in that list. Which does sort of prove my point. I can't see Wenger, Fergie, Raffa or Ancelotti putting up with non-excellent keepers can you?

Of course you can!

The goalkeepers of poorer teams are always going to have the better stats aren't they?

They have much more to do. I notice none of the big 4 have a keeper in that list. Which does sort of prove my point. I can't see Wenger' date=' Fergie, Raffa or Ancelotti putting up with non-excellent keepers can you?[/quote']

OPTA is mainly based on %'s... So if Green has 12 shots per game and only concede's 2 then his saves % is 84%. If Cech has 4 shots per match and concedes 1 then his is only 75% - Only using examples, not sure of the exact %'s.

I knew someone would make that argument and it just goes to prove, just because you have a quality defensive unit in front of a keeper, it doesn't make the keeper all that great.

IMO - Jaaskelainen, Green & Friedel have both been better than Cech over the last 2 seasons. As well as the likes of Shay Given, David James & Tim Howard.

And to answer your question, Wenger, Fergie, Rafa & Ancelotti all currently put up with "Non-Excellent" Keepers.

Almunia - Poor Decision making, handling from crosses is still a concern

Van Der Sar - Reflexes have gone dramatically with is age, but I suppose he can't be blamed for that.

Foster/Kusczak - Both Prone to Errors, both make poor Decisions at key moments.

Reina - Flaps at too many crosses, excellent shot stopper though (Unless a beach ball is involved :D)

Cech - Since his injury his judgment has been poor, as has his ability to command his area and claim crosses.

The best keeper in the Big 4 is Pepe Reina imo. The other 3 seriously need to look at that position.

The star system works in a way that your players are compared to the leagues standard as as well as your own team. Messi could be say 3 or 4 stars, simply because yes he's better than pretty much all the players around him, but he's not exceedingly better.

This is why say you're a smallish team it's much easier to find higher star players than you've got, because simply there are lots of players out there who are better. I know it's a bit confusing but it does make perfect sense once you get your head around it.

appears quite a few people overlooked this post :thup:.

and fwiw Schwarzer > *

4) Brad Friedel (Villa)

jensen has been terrible bar one match, which kind of ruins that theory

jensen has been terrible bar one match, which kind of ruins that theory

Obviously statistics prove different. He may have been shaky and made a couple of high profile mistakes, but look at the amount of shots he saves etc in between those mistakes.

Is that why Liverpool are in 7th?.... Or are we talking strictly FM10 here? ;)

We're actually looking at the hypothetical big 4..... which Liverpool look like they're going to drop out of this season unless they get their act together :thup:

Archived