FM10 - Official Gateshead Thread - We're going Pro!

SeanH91

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since i changed to fluid, more expressive, more roaming my talented young side can't stop scoring ;).

We beat Chelsea 2-0, Marseille 2-0, Aston Villa 3-0 (my reserves/youth team), Fulham 4-0.

We used to win by the odd goal 1-0, 2-1 but now with having a squad the media say will get into the top 4 i have let my attacking players do what they want to do and i am reaping the rewards.

Paul: Have you got your targetman scoring yet ?

Jonny: Thats a great return of goals from Erasmus what role do you play him in ?

Even though i am scoring goals since swithching to fluid i am conceeding a lot more so i am going back to rigid, more disciplined ,stick to position.

We qualified from our tough Champions League group with us, Juventus, Celtic, Marseille.

The group for the European Championships has also been drawn Italy, England, Serbia, Croatia thanks a tough group hopefully the home crowd can spur us on to become winners.

Top after 13 games, won 12 lost 1. Nile has 16 in 12 in the league. Worryingly he feels he's too good to be loaned out, nothing I can do about that but I'll try to keep him happy whilst trying to keep his complacency at bay. He's the key to our promotion prospects.

I still don't think we're dominating to the extent we did last season, Nile's goalscoring record means we're winning games that perhaps we don't really deserve to. You won't hear me complaining but I don't like being dominated territorially by teams in this league.

Our GD is pretty good, we've only conceded 8 in 13 which is decent. Of course we've scored 37.

Are you playing Ranger as a poacher ? If he carries on like he is he will win you the league on his own :D

If you are playing direct football your never going to have the majority of possesion unless your playing a really weaker team as direct passing means player x will look to find player y with a forward pass and not a side or backward pass as he would if you played short passing.

But if you winning games which you are i really wouldn't worry about possesion. 37 goals and 8 conceeded is bloody good in 13 games so if you ask me your tactics are working fine.

Rami will start scoring now and Ranger will go on a goal drought lol :p

Yeah page 9 for little old Gateshead :D

We're premier league on post counts!

Yep Nile's on poacher duties. I usually start on default passing style but since I check Ass Man comments during the game and he usually says my short passing is rubbish, I switch to direct and he usually says my passing is much better.

I don't have that many good passers in the team to be honest Jay Spearing is the best with 15, Bruna has 13 but the rest are around the 10 mark. I should maybe make Spearing my playmaker.

Spearing might make a good deep lying playmaker with support duty for a league two side.

I have just beat Wolves 5-1 in the League cup semi final 2nd leg after stupidly fielding my youth side in the first leg and got thrashed 5-2 so we are in the final looking to retain the trophy and will play Man Utd in the final.

The board has given me Championship side Bolton as a feeder club so i have sent some youngsters there on loan :D.

Nile's gone right off the boil, he now looks complacent every game unless he scores and he hasn't scored in 3 games. He even played poorly in the last game, 5.7 rating.

I think I might have to drop him for a bit since he seems to be getting a real big time Charlie.

We beat Bayern 2-1 in the second leg.

In the quater finals we got Atletico Madrid in the first leg we beat them 3-0 at the Vicente Calderon and it was a 2-2 draw at the Gateshead Stadium.

In the semis we got Roma in the first leg we beat them 4-2 at home with the second leg in two weeks time.

We are also through to the final of the FA cup beating Aston Villa on penalties in the quater finals and then beating Liverpool 3-1 in the semi finals. We will play Chelsea in the final.

We are top of the Premier league with four games to go and are 4 points clear of Man City with a game in hand.

So we could win 4 trophies this year if we can keep our injury prone squad fit enough.

I am getting bored of playing a one striker formation so i will go back to the standard 4-4-2 even though my 4-2-3-1 has been doing quite well for me.

Paul: Keep the faith with Ranger he will repay it with goals, goals and even more goals ;).

Jonny: Robinho is class he always rips my team apart when we play against him. Not sure how good he will be at 33 though.

GATESHEAD OF SEASON 7 REVIEW

Gateshead take home four trophies in a fantastic season for Gateshead.

Gateshead win the Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup.

The star performers this season were.

Alan Patrick

Remi Vacher

Sergiy Kryvtsov

Rene Adler

1h4jg1.jpg

28cprhy.jpg

2cy2w7l.jpg

2uf85xk.jpg

Well done once more col, I can't see your run of success coming to an end any time soon.

Nile has scored once in his last 6 games, his average rating over this period is 6.4, he's had a 5.7 and a 5.6. So I've changed my teamtalks to him and Rami, who unbelievably is alos getting complacent with his grand total of 3 goals in 16!

I'm trying to put more pressure on them by telling them I expect a performance because my previous wish luck was making them complacent. It's working a little for Rami but nothing as yet for Nile.

I just signed another Brazilian midfielder on free transfer deadline day, he looks even better than Spearing for the deep lying playmaker, he's called Bruno Coutinho.

Thanks.

I normally say you can win at the start of the game then use the team talks from team talks if you are clueless at half time.

On my game Bruno Coutinho looks class for lower league clubs he is at a Polish club so his value is only £325k.

This is him in season 7.

2ailxtd.jpg

He wanted more in wages than I could afford so I gave him a bigger signing on fee and he agreed terms!

I think he could turn out to be one of my best players.

I used to do "for the fans" then switched to "wish luck". Half time I use the clueless talks most of the time unless they look too wrong, saying well done when we lose is not goign to happen, sympathise maybe but not well done. Also saying well done to someone who has a 6 doesn't seem right, I just say nothing to them.

I have just won the European Championships with Italy :D.

England were the only team to beat us in the competition. They got beat on penalties in the semi finals by Spain who said FM isn't realistic :p.

2iru0x1.jpg

opcivt.jpg

The value of the regen i bought from West Ham Nicholas kershaw has sky rocketed to £24.5m and he is now described as a World Class Midfielder partly due to his fantastic performances for England in the European Championships where he finished 2nd in the best player in the competition and was also named in the European Championships dream team.

Gateshead have announced a partnership with Numancia. Time to sign a load of young South Americans now methinks.

Wow, can't believe you got your world beaters that motivated to play some amateurs, nice one. My players would have just pouted for the entire game.

In saying that, we're still top of League 2 after 24 games, won 20, drawn 3 and lost 1. Scored 62, conceded 17. Our 63 points are 6 better than Crewe in 2nd, 14 better than Bradford in 3rd, and 15 better than the 4th place cut off point (with 2 games in hand!). So it's looking good for promotion at least. But the real bombshell as I post this is....

...I've only gone and signed Shola Ameobi on loan!

After many many rejections, even when he was transfer listed for free he finally relented in the January transfer window so I'm looking forward to pairing him and Nile up front to see if they can spark each other. Nile had slowed down his goalscoring quite alarmingly but he's picked it up a bit and has 25 in 24. He had a real lean spell for a while, after all he'd scored 16 in 12.

D'you reckon Shola as a target man and Nile as poacher, or maybe Shola as a complete forward?

It's weird but every time we get more than 2 goals up, we seem to concede. So we never really run away with games or rarely. We'll score 1 then 2, then maybe even 3. Then they'll score, totally against the run of play. Then the second half, they often score again early on. Then mostly we'll score again late on to confirm the win. This pattern is getting very familiar. The thing is, we're totally bossing the game and yet concede two goals and feel like we're hanging on. It's stupidly unrealistic to happen so often. Maybe my players are having motivational issues but my Ass Man says they're all playing with confidence.

I guess I should be happy we're winning these games but I feel like I'm biting my nails every game unnecessarily.

Played 33 and I'm now 20 points clear of Crewe at the top of League 2 and a whopping 34 points clear of 4th place. So it's looks like I'll be getting promoted at least, and I should win the title barring a hideous collapse.

Shola and Nile are doing great together, Shola has 8 in 8 and Nile has picked up and has 35 in 31. Hopfully I can keep them both fit and motivated for the run in. I'm playing Shola as a Target Man on attacking mode , but I've got him running with the ball sometimes, Nile's a poacher but rarely running with the ball. Seems to be working though they're so good individually at this level that they'd probably score however I played them so I shouldn't really be patting myself on the back, other than for persistence.

You getting bored of your all-conquering save yet Col?

I would play Shola as a targetman or deep lying forward but how are you getting these quality loans in league two ? ( can't believe i said quality and shola in the same sentence :p).

You should be looking for league one players to sign for next season now seeing as your more or less promoted now.

I am not getting bored yet but haven't had the time to play FM over the last couple of days. But i will be playing for tonight for a few hours and then tomorrow late afternoon/night then on Saturday it's out on the drink all day before and afer the match ;).

The first competitive games this season were a 3-1 win over Man City in the Community Shield followed by a home defeat to Aston Villa 0-1 in the first Premier League match. We then beat Fulham 1-0 in the Premier League followed by my first European Super cup win with a 2-0 victory over Inter Milan.

sfz5es.jpg

Well Nile came more or less straight away, as soon as the summer window opened I think. He might have rejected me once. I must've tried to sign Shola and Andy Carroll about ten times each at least and was amazed when Shola came. Newcastle are still in the Championship and Andy Carroll and Vuckic are both in the first team squad now, but Shola is in the reserves and transfer listed for free.

It's a bit unrealistic really getting such quality players on loan, of course you'd expect my parent club players to be more receptive but even so a 29 year old Shola going to Gateshead on loan is just wrong. I must say it's lovely having the two of them up front terrorizing this league though, if only for a few months. I just hope we can get them again next season, though since Shola is transfer listed he'll be snapped up (and not by us since we can't possibly afford his wages).

Decent price for Balotelli he normally goes for much more than that, petulant child that he is! (though great in FM). Are you going to play him on the wing or up front?

I would look for League 1 players but you have to wait for the summer to attract the better players since the club's reputation won't go up till the end of the season (at least that's what I've always thought). I usually do my searches once the new season starts, or at least is announced. When we're officially a League 1 club. Hopefully Newcastle get promoted and Andy Carroll & Vuckic drop back into the reserves.

Balotelli was transfer listed but so far he has been a complete waste of skin. I have tried him as a inside forward the role he plays for my Italian side brilliantly but he has been shocking for Gateshead and i have also tried him upfront as a deep lying forward and trequartista.

Although saying that for some reason the whole squad is struggling to score goals despite dominating games. Sometimes we are having 5-7 clear cut chances a game and struggling to score once but the opposition get one chance and put it away.

How are you playing your two central midfielders in your 4-4-2 ? When i play it i play a ball winner and a deeplying playmaker.

Snap. Ball winner support and deep lying playmaker support. Francis Coquelin on loan from Liverpool is my ball winner but he can play as well. Bruno Coutinho is my deep lying playmaker, he's an AMLC but he looks more like a central midfielder to me (his pace, crossing and acceleration are all relatively poor). They'd both be fine for League 1 I reckon.

can you share your 442?

It's just a standard 4-4-2 balanced, more attacking, more discliplined, more aggressive, more direct, press more, stick to position, crossing default

GK DEFEND

FB AUTO/SUPPORT

CB DEFEND

W WINGER ATTACK

CM BALL WINNER

CM DEEP LYING PLAYMAKER

ST POACHER

ST TARGETMAN

I have made a couple of changes to my 4-2-3-1 wide and now Balotelli can't stop scoring as a inside forward AML.

I have changed my full backs to attack from support and i changed the forward to a complete forward attack from a poacher. It has given both my inside forwards space as the opposition full back are now marking my full backs and the opposition centre backs are being pulled apart with my complete forward roaming.

We have just had a great result against runaway league leaders Arsenal a 1-1 draw but we only had 9 men for the majority of the game ;).

1zp5jcl.jpg

How many points are you behind col?

We've been promoted with about 10 games to go, after 39 games now we have 100 points. We've lost 2 out of the last 5 as well, I started playing today, drew 0-0 then lost 2-1 away to Torquay and was promptly told we had been promoted. We have a GD of +68, scored 96. Nile now has 38 goals and Shola has 13.

I just want the season to end now and to prepare for League 1...still 7 games to play. I should go on holiday or something but I'll just try to zip through them.

10 points behind with a game inhand after 12 games. I have won 7 drew 4 lost 1.

Well done on promotion it won't be long before your in the Premier League :thup:

I tried to go on holiday two seasons ago in the off season and the game crashed so it's just as well i had saved the game beforehand.

Early days then, I have faith that you'll chase them down and make it three in a row.

Championes! Championes!

We could potentially hit the 121 mark we did last season, but we'd have to win every game from here on in.

I don't think it'll happen but it might keep my interest up while it's still possible.

I wish i shared your confidence i me :p. We are drawing far to many games for my liking against team we should be destrying the likes of Burnley and Wolves.

Whats the record number of points in League Two that should be your next target wantung 121 points isjust greedy :p.

Are you getting bored now ?

Ok I've got 118 points with 1 game to go. It's really been nip and tuck but I firmly believe we're better than everyone else in this league by a distance so logically we should be winning virtually every game if I get my tactics, team and talks right. And bar a couple of results this is how it's panned out. Really with Shola and Nile even if I fudge most of my end we'll still be winning most of the time.

Anyway Shola has picked up Nile's slack and more besides. We could concievably have won every game this season, I suppose 38 out of 45 isn't bad!

So the last game of the season is away against 2nd place Crewe so I'm not counting my chickens, they're on 96 points themselves so it won't be an easy game. In normal circumstances I'd be happy, or satisfied at least with a draw but the 121 has me wanting more and more.

Lost it 1-0. Poor performance all round really. I don't think the players realized how important the game was. My fault. Still, 118 isn't too bad.

So, played 46 won 38, drawn 4 lost 4, For 110, Ag 34, GD +76 points 118.

Nile finished top scorer with 41 goals in 45 appearances, he only missed one game all season. He also had 20 assists. Shola got 18 in 22 with 7 assists. Joao Ribeiro RW scored 10 with 16 assists, Coquelin scored 8 with 7 assists. Bruno LW 7 and 7. Rami my previous Nile partner scored 6 and had 10 assists. Coutinho had 9 assists.

Great season again for Gateshead. I admit the almost outlasndish loan signings made it easy for us but even without them I think we'd have had enough, they were just the icing on the cherry so to speak. With the season ended now I'll be scouting around for new frees and loan signings, if I can get the calibre that I got for this season I'll be more than pleased. I'm aware though if I want to dominate like I have the past two seasons I'll need better players for almost every position.

I've compiled a squad for my assault on League 1 bar a couple of last minute changes and it's looking pretty good, maybe not as good as the past couple of season but hopefully good enough. We're definitely strongest up front.

Loan signings: Francis Coquelin, Gerardo Bruna, Jack Colback, Shola and Nile all return plus we got Joshua King from Man Utd.

Free Transfers of note: Victor Simoes up front, my new captain, looks really good, quick and skillful. Fitz Hall, ha. Tudorei Oghinciuc in goals...looks top class. New centre halves Graham Gartland, Gordon "Germaine" Greer and Maxime Brillault. New full backs Martin Fall and Matt Hill. Target Man Sander Post 6'6", 19 jumping 16 heading.

So at present my team is looking like this:

GK Oghinciuc

RB Martin Fall

LB Matt Hill

DC Gartland

DC Greer/Brillault

MR Joao Ribeiro/ Juan Surraco

MC Francis Coquelin

MC Bruno Coutinho

ML Gerardo Bruna

FC Victor Simoes/ Joshua King/ Nile/ Sidinei

FC Sander Post/ Shola/ Giancarlo/ Schumacher...

Far too many strikers but I can't decide who to sell. I think we could probably afford to lose both Giancarlo and Schumacher but I'm not sure. I hop my surviving players from last season can cut it a level above, my entire midfield in fact.

Not totally sure who to play up front, I think my two strongest strikers are both quick men, Simoes and King. I think Sander Post is probably my best target man so I'm thinking playing him and Simoes as target man attack and advanced forward attack. Shola and Nile did great last season and they'll be good in this division but I'm thinking more from the bench this time.

I could try to play Simoes as advanced forward alongside King as poacher but I'm not sure this would work as well, especially playing 442 with wingers. The other option is to play a narrow 433 or 4222 to take advantage of my forwards' pace and trickery. Playing Simoes as a trequarista is another option but he only has 10 creativity.

Edit: Just signed Lukas Jutkiewicz on loan from Everton so it looks like my starting front two will be Jutliewicz and Simoes.

Archived