FM10 - Official Gateshead Thread - We're going Pro!

SeanH91

Some really good signings Paul.

With all your forwards the 4-3-3 is probably the best formation you could play. It's tried and tested and is the best formation on FM10 in my opinion even though the wingers are slighly better on patch 10.3.

With your fast strikers as poachers and the central striker as a targetman, deep lying forward, complete forward or even a trequarista if you find a creative player for league one.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have closed the gap to 5 points behind Arsenal with a game inhand.

We are through to the knockout stages of the Champions League and we play Inter Milan in a rematch from this seasons European Super Cup.

We have also just won the World Club Championship beating Palmeiras in the final

Cheers col, good day yesterday not the result obviously?

433 sounds good. I might actually try 4123 since Coquelin is probably better suited to a DMC role. Then I can play two of Bruno Coutinho and my other new loan signings Michael Woods and Emmanuel Frimpong from Sunderland and Celtic respectively.

Up front I can play Jutkiewicz target, Simoes as advanced forward/poacher and King as poacher. I hope that'll be within my loan allowance. Yeah that's only 3 English based loanees. I can even put Shola and Nile on the bench. Happy days. I also got Lovenkrands on loan but he looks to be past his best to me, not sure he'll get many games before he goes back.

It was a great day yesterday and ive still got the hangover to prove it ;).

Your signing some quality loans there :eek: Its a shame that they had no interest in joining me on loan though only on a permanent basis :(.

Your signing some quality loans there :eek: Its a shame that they had no interest in joining me on loan though only on a permanent basis :(.

I wonder why this is, I admit I've had to make multiple bids for some at different times of the season but maybe it's because we have a slightly higher reputation since we racked up so many points as we moved through the leagues, mind you, you weren't too far behind really.

It's probably just pot luck I can't get Vuckic or Best, or about 90% of the players I go for, I tend to put in dozens of loan offers probably over 50 in a transfer window, especially in the summer.

I guess it depends on how the players are doing at their respective clubs, if they're unhappy or transfer listed or whatever maybe they're more willing to slum it down in League 1. I dunno, at the start of the game I chose as my reputation an ex-international footballer what did you choose?

I guess it depends on how the players are doing at their respective clubs, if they're unhappy or transfer listed or whatever maybe they're more willing to slum it down in League 1. I dunno, at the start of the game I chose as my reputation an ex-international footballer what did you choose?

I choose the same reputation a international footballer with 40 caps and 6 goals for England :cool:

We now sit 4th in the Premier League on 49 points after 23 games we have 5 games inhand on Chelsea who are top with 52 points so only 3 points behind Chelsea. I can't remember having that many games inhand on everybody else on my previous games even though we played in the European Super Cup and World Club Championships.

I am playing a 4-4-2 with the wingers advanced and it's working very well my only worry is that Mario Balotelli has missed 3 out of his 5 penalties even though he has 18 for penalty taking, 15 finishing, 17 composure, 17 technique so i really can't understand why he isn't scoring them :confused:

We are £8m in the red somehow even though we are £36m in profit from my transfer dealings and then all the money we get from the Champions League, World Club Cup, Premier League and the TV money and we got a 15 year sponsorship deal for our new stadium :confused:.

GATESHEAD LEAGUE CUP WINNERS SEASON 8

Gateshead win the League Cup for the third year in a row.

It was a pretty easy run until the final where after going 2-0 down with 13 minutes to go we managed to take the game to extra time and then penalties.

xo07ko.jpg

5zgl8w.jpg

Nice one col, I can feel you're going to win the title again. It's looking good at least.

We've stunk the place out since switching to 433. after beating Championship Burley at home on pens we came back from 2-0 down away to Gillingham only to lose 3-2. Then we squeaked a home win against League 2 Lincoln in the Johnstone's Paint, they missed a pen on 90 mins and we scored 4 minutes into injury time! I played a weakened team but no way should we have almost lost. Then we drew 1-1 at home to Swindon.

Defensively we're nowhere near as solid as in the 442 and every game at least one of my strikers is having a 'mare usually the poacher. I'm playing a target man attack, advanced forward and poacher. Midfield three are box to box, ball winning support and advanced playmaker support. Jutkiewicz is not really a great target man in that he only has 13 jumpoing and so doesn't win that many headers.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, it could just take a bit of getting used to a new system.

When i use the 4-3-3/4-1-2-3 formations we usually win most games and play good one touch football in the process so i can't understand why it's not working for you. The best midfield combination i think is a ball winner/central midfield defend next to two central midfield/advanced playmakers on support duty.

Try playing with complete forwards one on attack and one on support thats what i am using at the minute and they are playing well together scoring goals and making goals.

It normally takes my side a few games to adjust to any new formation but no more than 3-4 games.

Cheers col, well we've won the last 2, 1-0 away to Bristol Rovers and 4-0 at home to Luton so maybe we've turned the corner. I'm playing 4123 again to try to solidify my defence, playing Coquelin in the defensive midfield support role. I've got Michael Woods on box to box and Coutinho on advanced playmaker support. I've put 6'6" Sander Post into my front line as target man suppot and as expected he wins just about everything in the air (he has a 19 for jumping and a 16 for heading). Jutkiewicz is now a poacher and Simoes an advanced forward.

Not really sure what Jutkiewicz or even Simoes best roles would be they both have mixed strengths and weaknesses which rules them out of obvious roles.

Jutkiewicz has 16 off the ball, 16 strength, 16 heading, 15 finishing , 14 composure, 14 first touch but his jumping is only 13. Crossing 9, Agility 6, Creativity and Decisions 5, flair 4. He also has high teamwork and work rate.

Simoes has 16 heading, 17 flair, 16 pace & acceleration, 14 dribbling and finishing, 15 anticipation, 14 off the ball and teamwork but only 10 crossing, 7 composure, 10 creativity, 7 jumping, 9 decisions.

They're a real mixed bag, they have great stats but all mixed around so they don't seem ideally suited to any role.

UEFA don't do me any favours after knocking out Inter Milan and Juventus i have been drawn to play Real Madrid in the Champions League semi finals. The other semi final is Barcelona against Lyon.

In the FA cup after knocking out Liverpool, QPR, Tottenham Hotspurs, Man Utd i play Southampton in the semi final. The other semi final is West Ham Utd against money bags Man City.

So it is a possible to win all seven trophies this season hopefully my small squad can cope with all these matches.

10 games played 2nd on 21 points, 1 point shy of leaders Swindon. Won 6, drawn 3 lost 1. Not bad, not spectacular. Simoes has 8 goals, 4 assists and has been man of the season so far, Coutinho has continued where he left off in League 2 with 6 assists. Nobody else has really impressed greatly, Sander Post has done well in the few games he's played, can't pass the ball but what can you expect really.

I've got a feeling this season is going to be tougher than the last two (wouldn't be difficult really!). I'm still not sure on either my best team or even my best formation and my defence looks far from impregnable. Porous, leaky, wobbly. We've already conceded 12 in 10 games, luckily we've scored 24. It's going to be a rollercoaster ride but I'm hopeful of finishing in the automatic promotion places.

10 games played 2nd on 21 points, 1 point shy of leaders Swindon. Won 6, drawn 3 lost 1. Not bad, not spectacular. Simoes has 8 goals, 4 assists and has been man of the season so far, Coutinho has continued where he left off in League 2 with 6 assists. Nobody else has really impressed greatly, Sander Post has done well in the few games he's played, can't pass the ball but what can you expect really.

I've got a feeling this season is going to be tougher than the last two (wouldn't be difficult really!). I'm still not sure on either my best team or even my best formation and my defence looks far from impregnable. Porous, leaky, wobbly. We've already conceded 12 in 10 games, luckily we've scored 24. It's going to be a rollercoaster ride but I'm hopeful of finishing in the automatic promotion places.

Some fancy words there Paul :p.

I can't believe your not playing Nile Ranger or Joshua King both would be stars in League One :eek:.

Once your team is gelled to your formation you should win the league with your squad.

Some fancy words there Paul :p.

I can't believe your not playing Nile Ranger or Joshua King both would be stars in League One :eek:.

Once your team is gelled to your formation you should win the league with your squad.

I've got to put my expensive education to some use haven't I :p

I know they both look good but check out my first teamers, they look even better on paper. I can't possibly not play them. Mind you if they don't score in abundance I'll be swapping them out. That's one thing we're not lacking, options up front.

That's a great result against R. Madrid, especially with Bendtner in your team!

Victor Simoes, Sander Post aren't on my game are they regens ? maybe they have retired as i am nearly finished season 8.

I haven't really played Bendtner all season but due to a massive injury crisis he has played the last 10 games scoring 5 goals.

GATESHEAD END OF SEASON 8 REVIEW

In a fantastic season Gateshead take all seven trophies home to Tyneside.

We won the Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup, World Club Championship, European Super Cup, League Cup, Community Shield. Even though we had a very sucessful season i still don't know what our best formation is after using several this season including 4-4-2, 4-4-2 wide diamond, 4-2-3-1, 4-2-3-1 wide.

The stars of this campaign were.

Remi Vacher

Mario Balotelli

Danilo

35luru1.jpg

riyjqs.jpg

14yafpf.jpg

x1afsw.jpg

Amazing feat col, I don't believe I've ever won all 7 trophies with any team. I usually play weakened teams in the minor tourneys which by the time I've won the European Cup means both the League Cup and FA Cup, but you probably did the same.

Victor Simoes has an accent over the o so try searching Victor Sim or something. He's 30 in my gaem (season 3) so he probably has retired in your game. Sander Post is 27 so he might have retired at 32 or 33. Have a look at Lukas Jutkiewicz though, he looks great but what d'you reckon his best role would be? I had him as target man but his jumping isn't really good enough, so now he's a poacher.

The only regen I have right now is Romanian goalkeeper Tudorei Oghinciuc who looks amazing.

Oh and...surely you must be bored of this save by now, come and join me in the lower leagues! You're putting my achievements to shame :p

Thanks paul.

I would play Lukas Jutkiewicz as a complete forward or deep lying forward as he is a good finisher with good composure but also is very strong and good in the air.

I have tried searching for Victor Simoes and Sander Post but both are not on my game so must of retired.

I am going to start another game with Gateshead

I have made a mistake already when signing Julien Boursault who will be a backup keeper instead of making a bid of £0 what would of been accepted i used the approach to sign buttton and have now signed him for £24k not the best way to start off :(.

I busy scearching obscure nations for some players.

I have finally been able to see what Victor Simoes and Sander Post look like now on my new game and i must say i am very impressed with Victor Simoes and i would use him as a poacher.

I have found some good players i have not signed before.

Jean-Marc Le Rouzic a quality french keeper on a free.

Lencho Skibba a Ethiopian attacking midfielder on a free.

Stephane Monsanto a quality french left winger on a free.

Adrien Barbet a french left back who can also play centre back on a free.

I think Simoes is better suited to an advanced forward role myself, he has good heading, flair and work rate. He'd be good as a poacher for sure but I think with his low composure he might be more suited to an all round forward rather than a fox in the box.

Post is a monster isn't he? Rivals Andy Carroll in my game, he has 19 jumping and 16 heading, Carroll has 18 jumping and 17 heading. Post at 6' 6" is 3 inches bigger than Carroll as well, though I think Carroll might be taller than the 6'3" reported in game. I thought he was about 6'5".

Not signed any of those players, they all look great for the BSP though. Skibba isn't in my game.

Jutkiewicz only has 5 for creativity and 5 for decisions, so I'm not sure how good he would be as a complete forward or even a deep lyer, don't they need to be creative? Other than that he'd be great in either role.

It just depends on the player in Jutkiewicz case he will hold up the ball and play through balls to your poacher/advanced forward.

Post is a monster isn't he? Rivals Andy Carroll in my game, he has 19 jumping and 16 heading, Carroll has 18 jumping and 17 heading. Post at 6' 6" is 3 inches bigger than Carroll as well, though I think Carroll might be taller than the 6'3" reported in game. I thought he was about 6'5".

Not signed any of those players, they all look great for the BSP though. Skibba isn't in my game.

Sander Post certainly is a big lad he must terrorize the oppositions defence with his phyiscal presence.

I think Carroll is about 6'5"-6'6" in real life as he towers over 6'4" centre backs so i think it is a mistake in the game.

Nope don't know any of them either, all look like solid acquisitions though. Sure they'll do a job for you.

I've just played Nile in a Johnstone's paint home game against League 1 Carlisle and we won 4-2, he got MoM. Starting to think maybe he should be getting into the squad at least. I've also got Chris Gradi and Joshua King who really should be getting some play time. If only I had such strength in defence where we look ropey.

Who are you playing in defence ?

How are the goals against you being scored ?

Do you mean Chris Gadi ? he turns World class and is always snapped up by the big clubs.

Willy Topp is doing my head in he won't sign :( So i have offered him the maxium wage and a £1k signing on fee to give him something to think about.

I'm just playing standard back 4 with everything on default, not sure there's a pattern to my goals conceded, they can be from breakaways or headers from set-pieces. I'll try to watch out for them in the next couple of games.

Yeah sorry Chris Gadi, dunno why I see Gradi every time I see his name. Got him on loan from Man U. You see how many options I have up front...too many options, it's a nice problem to have so goes the cliche but really it can be a nightmare.

Yeah like I said, I had to pay compensation to get Topp after he had already signed for someone else. 50k or something.

Lost again, 1-0 away to Hartlepool, a header from a cross after dominating the opening 15 minutes they scored on 17 and that was it, didn't create enough, missed the few chances we had.

Really we're losing tight games, we might have a couple of chances,they have maybe 1 and they win 1-0. Or we can dominate and still only win 3-2 after conceding goals against the run of play. We're not gelling as a team and I might have to go back to balanced from fluid, I really can't believe my awesome strikers aren't scoring, and I had to take Jutkiewicz off since he was having a bad game. My strikers ratings were Jutkiewicz 5.9, Post 6.8 and Simoes 6.2.

This could be because they're not getting the service, I've got midfielders on box to box, ball winning and advanced playmaker, maybe I should have 2 attacking midfielders and 1 defensive.

My centre halves are good in the air I don't see why we should be conceding headed goals, even my full backs have got decent heading. The Hartlepool goal was attributed to Coutinho my advanced playmaker missing a header or interception in my own penalty area. I mean, what was he even doing there?

Try putting your full backs on defend duty to see if the crosses are still coming in.

Also try changing to a rigid philosophy so your players don't get caught out of position.

I hate them games where you dominate the game and the opposition score with there only chance but it's just one of those games where you can't score.

I am finding some quality players for BSP/League Two sides here are some more.

Antonio Esmerode a Uruguayan on a free a CB.

Medhi Leroy a french MLC on a free.

Willy Topp at last for £2.5k signing on fee and £700 per week.

I am also telling the press certain players will be stars and i am in awe of them to try and get them to come on loan so i hope it works. Newcastle have sent Haris Vuckic on loan ;).

Vuckic was simply amazing for me as the AMC in a 442 diamond, he averaged 7.77 and got 20 goals and 23 assists in 45 games.

My star striker was John van Krimpen, see if you can snap him up. He scored 28 goals and had 12 assists averaging 7.5 in 38 games.

I am going to play the 4-4-2 narrow diamond this season as i have never used that formation on FM10 and i fancy a change.

I have already signed John van Krimpen but he has got one hell of a fight on his hands if he wants to be a starter as i have also got Gaston Gamboa, Willy Robert, Willy Topp, Hamed Sacko and also Stephane Monsanto can play up front.

I have just looked at the transfers page and it would take two screenshots so far.

We have had some good results in the friendlies so far.

Gateshead 2 Everton reserves 0

Worcester 0 Gateshead 6

Gateshead 6 GH Academy 0

Gateshead 2 Sunderland reserves 3 a hatrick from Fraizer Campbell. But Anton Ferdinand also played.

I don't forsee you having many problems this campaign, you seem to have a similar set up to me when I was in the BSP, and you know what happened there, notwithstanding my lack of tactical nous. I signed some excellent players in January as well, to bolster my team.

Well after a shaky start and conceeding goals for fun i changed the philosophy to vey rigid from fluid and we are now very solid at the back.

I have scrapped the 4-4-2 narrow diamond and we are now playing the 4-4-2 wide diamond after we managed to get kazenga Lua Lua on a 3 month loan after the transfer window closed.

Antonio Esmerode my Uruguayan centre back is top scorer with 7 goals in 11 games he is unstoppable at the back post on corners and he also has scored one penalty.

Willy Topp has 6 goals in 11 games.

My squad is huge we have 70 players at the club including youth and reserve players but surprisingly we are only £68 over our wage budget. But in the next transfer window i will be getting rid of a lot of the dead wood on frees if i can't sell them.

We have just beat League One side Southend United 2-0 in the FA cup first round.

Antonio Esmerode and Gaston Gamboa got the goals in a game which we dominated from start to finish. That was without 7 first teamers Willy Topp, Adam Maurer, Patricio Bustamante, Adrien Barbet, Gioavanni Fetissoi, Robertino Rafaela, Assan Hammouti who are all in injured.

Good result col, I never bother with anything other than the 1st team, I put players I want to sell in the reserves and I keep an eye out for promising under 18s, but with Gateshead you never get any. Not until much much later at least. Can't believe van Krimpen didn't get into the team with all those injuries. Esmerode must be pretty good to keep him out, he isn't in my game. Gamboa scored 8 in 17 for me in the BSP.

We've just hit the top for the first time after an unconvincing 1-0 home win over Doncaster, in fact we've had 3 home wins on the trot after the reverse away to Hartlepool so my home form looks to be back on track, 2-1, 4-2 and 1-0 aren't particularly decisive mind you but we've been fairly dominant.

We've played 15, won 10, drawn 3 and lost 2. Scored 34 conceded 17. Swindon are 2nd only on 1 goal difference and are unbeaten.

I need to look into our away form and our defensive weaknesses, we're conceding goals from deep and wide midfield positions almost like my narrow formation is being exploited by width. Maybe I need to switch to 442 for away games or as you suggested put my full backs on defensive duty only. I've signed a few more players, Steven Hammell, David Vaughan, Wayne Routledge and best of all an out of favour Alan Smith on loan. Plus I've signed Ibrahima Sonko on a free to try and stiffen up our failing defence.

Antonio Esmerode isn't keeping John van Krimpen out of the team he's a centre back but has now scored 10 goals in 16 games :eek:.

I am rotating my strikers Topp has 6 goals, Robert has 5, van Krimpen has 6 and Gamboa only has 1 :(.

Yet again fantastic loans there Paul.

Try changing to very rigid since i have we conceed very few and the full backs aren't getting caught out of position like they were when i played fluid.

I thought maybe they'd made it less effective in 10.3 since although I had roaring success with it in 10.2 this is the first time I've tried it in 10.3. I'll try very rigid in my next away game. I'm just worried we'll not create anything.

10 in 16 for a centre half is amazing, all headers from corners and free-kicks I assume? Krimpen keeping pace with Topp, they could be a lethal pairing if you can keep them both fit.

Archived