FM10 - Official Gateshead Thread - We're going Pro!

SeanH91

I have not had a chance to play FM much over the last few days but after 8 games i am top with 22 points.7 wins and 1 draw the best result of the EPL so far has been a 5-0 win over Chelsea.

I have also won my 3 Champions League groups games with wins against Galatasaray 3-1 at home, Amkar 3-0 away and Celtic 3-0 away.

I should walk the EPL again unless of course the new patch comes out beforehand where i will start a new game.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 games played and we're sitting 15th, 5 points clear of the relegation zone. Won 3, drawn 8, lost 5. It's been a mixed season so far, we've yet to be hammered but have lost from drawing postions almost as many times aswe've drawn from winning positions. Yep. conceding late disastrous goals has been our downfall so far. We've bossed many teams home and away, Liverpool included only to concede the sucker punch. Of course this isn't just bad luck. We have a defensive weakness which is mirrored by the profligacy of the strikers. I grimace when my forwards miss the umpteenth one on one because I know we'll be conceding at the other end before long.

I always say for a club the size of Gateshead staying up in the first season in the EPL is the only target and anything better than that is a bonus.

You might not have enough players attacking in your 4-1-3-2 so that might be why you aren't scoring enough goals to win games. Its getting the right balance of attacking, defensive and support players.

Thats why i still play a 4-3-3 as if your forwards shot is saved then theres a good chance one of the other two forwards has a chance of knocking in the loose ball.

I managed to get Kryvtsov in at a cost of £2 mill, very happy with that. My central defensive partnership is looking pretty ace.

I've also signed Marcin Grembocki a regen who looks ideal for that defensive CM role to partner my two more attacking players.

So I'm going to play 433 in all my games against weaker teams to see how that pans out.

Can't seem to get rid of my dead wood though, still carrying players I don't need and my wages are suffering in that I can't afford to offer much to anybody coming in.

I'm now 16th after 24 games, won 4, drawn 11, lost 9. Scored 26, conceded 31. 23 points. Three points clear of the relegation zone.

15th after 28. Won 6, drawn 13, lost 9. Been on a decent run, unbeaten in 4. 9 points clear of the relegation zone. Erasmus has 12 goals, Conti still only 7. Hardly prolific. I've scored 33 and conceded 35. I think I've got enough to steer clear of the danger. Conti's performances are worrying. I'm playing him as a deep lying forward chiefly and it's not really working, not consistantly anyway. As an AM/FC you'd expect him to be able to play the role. I might need to bring someone in and push him to advanced forward for next season.

I've just started a game as Gateshead as I got bored with my Newcastle save. I'm currently 1st after 23 games, two points in front of Luton however they have a game in hand. Willy Topp is coming in in January but Armstrong and Sion are doing fine upfront, with them both on 14 goals each, even though Sion has played 3 games less. How would you play Ngo-Baheng? He hasn't scored for me yet and I'm considering leaving him on the bench.

I had Baheng in my first season and he scored 34 goals but I can't remember whether I played him as a target man, a deep lying forward or an advanced forward. I played him alongside Michael Nardiello who scored 30. They were both pretty strong but Baheng was quicker so I think he probably played as an avanced forward and Nardiello played as a target man.

I mainly played 442 in the Conference. I ended up 10 points clear of Oxford at the top, Luton were 3rd and went up via the play-offs.

Has anyone tried starting a new game with all leagues from England then load all players from the rest of the world ?

I might try that for the new patch unless its going to be to slow.

EDIT i have just looked at it and theres 278000 players but the game only recommends 78000 players so i will have a play with it to see if it is to slow.

I'm moving clear of the relegation zone after a nervy 2-1 home win over Fulham. I leapfrogged them into 12th place after 30 games, 12 points clear of the relegation zone with 8 games to go. I've eventually hit some good form, 4th in the form ranking. My goal diff is -1. Hope I can get it into the positive by the end of the season.

15th after 28. Won 6, drawn 13, lost 9. Been on a decent run, unbeaten in 4. 9 points clear of the relegation zone. Erasmus has 12 goals, Conti still only 7. Hardly prolific. I've scored 33 and conceded 35. I think I've got enough to steer clear of the danger. Conti's performances are worrying. I'm playing him as a deep lying forward chiefly and it's not really working, not consistantly anyway. As an AM/FC you'd expect him to be able to play the role. I might need to bring someone in and push him to advanced forward for next season.

What about trying Trequartista for Conti the team will look to use him as the playmaker so he will get involved in the play much more and get goals and assists.

Col: I looked at it but my game runs too slow and unstable to give it that heavy a burden. I would still be running one league if I hadn't taken your advice and given myself wider loan options.

I will do a test over the next couple of days to try it.

EDIT : It has 5 stars for game performance but half a star for game speed lol

What leagues are you playing with now ?

Abdou Dieye on loan is a star striker.

Ryan Donaldson on loan from Newcastle.

Fran Merida on loan from Arsenal.

Haris Vuckic onloan from Newcastle.

Jean Yves Cappaso on loan.

Jeroen Tesselaar on loan.

Alexandre Oukidje on loan.

Kevin Belloc on loan.

Daan Arnts on a free.

Luca Tremolada on loan.

Dion Dickhoff on a free.

Daley Blind on loan.

Sean Highdale on a free.

Jordan Halsman on loan.

I'm safe, with 2 games to go! 8 points clear of the relegation zone. Phew.

I can start building for next season now, it was touch and go for a while when my good form deserted me, I tried playing 433 away to Liverpool and got tanked 4-1. After that I couldn't win a game going down away to Pompey, Wolves and Arsenal before a vital 3-1 home victory over Hull City who had a player sent off early on for a professional foul. Lucky me.

Just as well I'm safe now because I've got Newcastle at home and Villa away as my last two games. I'll be lucky to get a point from either of those.

I'm looking forward to shipping out my ageing forwards Drogba and Kuranyi (who was prety useless for me, getting a paltry 1 goal in 12 games although I did play him as a deep lying attacker for most of the time). Drogba got 5 in 10 which wasn't bad but he's on the slides big time aged 36. I won't get much money for either of those but maybe I'll get some for Scott Robertson who had a problem with me earlier in the season. I don't forget. Poulsen and Tainio can go plus I've got a good keeper coming so I'll see how much I can get for Vermeer.

So I need for next season: A striker, maybe two. A new left-back since Kralovic is pretty limited (not a priority). Plus I might need some wide players so I can switch formations if I need to. Maybe that's why Kuranyi was so bad, no crosses. I'm also looking forward to seeing how my youngsters develop next season.

I have signed 31 players so far yes 31 with me awaiting contracts getting accepted for another 5.

I have sold 4 players with 2 players talking to other clubs. I forgot how hard it is to sell players at this level.

I have played 5 friendlies so far with easy wins against mainly scottish and welsh opposition. I am playing my 4-3-3 but with a Targetman and two poachers as nobody will be able to play Trequartista at this level.

I usually get the message that there is too much of a gap between the midfield and attack if I don't play a deep lying support striker in my front 3.

I am playing a very fluid mentality so most of the players are global mentality.

I think I might try playing fluidly for next season, it sounds very nice. But surely you need top quality players to pull it off. Players with top movement, positioning, off the ball etc.

Not sure what you mean by global mentality.

Yeah you need one of the best squads in the league to pull it off.

When you go to the tactics screen and click on one of the shirts then click on advanced you will see lots of sliders (classic). When you go through the team nearly all the players will be the same mentality (very fluid) thats what global mentality is.

I realised this season that it becomes dull when you run away with the league as I have done in earlier seasons, I prefer the nip and tuck of not knowing you are going to win games. Of course I prefer to win but losing unluckily with a good performance is almost as good when you're the underdog. I had many games like this, when I battled bravely only to concede in the last few minutes. It's crushing yet encouraging at the same time.

Maybe I'll not be so philosophical when I've my team is stronger and I'm expecting better.

Anyway, I just realised that Drogba, Kuranyi, Poulsen and Tainio's contracts all expire soon so I won't make any money at all from them but at least I'll get them off the wage bill.

Wow that's huge, must be a drain on the wage budget.

I am spending £11330 per week on wages so i am £830 over my £10500 budget. But some of the players i have sold have got the after 1 appearence clause so i will hopefully be able to adjust the budget.

I still can't really get that 1 appearance thing working, it's worked a few times but I can usually only get about what the player is worth + £1k after 1 appearance. I suppose this is more realistic anyway.

All it does is generate interest in the player but like i said i have only sold 6 players and only a few of them have that clause in.

I forgot about the 5 home grown player rule so my bench is all my transfer listed players lol.

So i expect quite a few unhappy players in a few months through lack of games.

Won the first game 4-0 at home to Histon. Chester away, Luton away, Tamworth home, Crawley away, York home, Cambridge away the next few games.

My 3-4-3 is working really well so far i sit top of the league with 38 points from 15 games winning 12 drawing 2 and losing 1.

I am shocked at how well the defence are doing with this being a attacking formation so far my keeper has kept 8 clean sheets from 15 games and conceeded 12. Most of the goals i am conceeding are from set pieces though.

The two Willys were doing great until Willy Robert got injured and is out for 3 -4 months. Willy Topp has 13 goals from 15 games and Willy Robert has 5 goals from 8 games.

Got a £30 million windfall from TV rights and such which went straight into my transfer kitty. So flushed with transfer possibilities I blew the lot on recruiting primarily 2 centre forwards and a new central midfielder.

I spent big on my centre forwards, perhaps too big recruiting South Americans Neymar and Pablo Mouche for a little over £30 million combined. I had to spend so much because I couldn't find anyone else half as good who both wanted to join and who's wages I could afford. Havign said that, they're both on £30,000 a week!

Also signed another nice looking regen Luka Stojanovic in CM who looks like another support midfielder to compliment my already decent centre midfield. Signed keeper Stephane Ruffier on a free and another couple of regens a right back Luke Rae and striker Jurgen Scharf. Oh and I got a promising looking regen left winger called Gal Hanuka.

Out went Poujol to Bayern, Vermeer to Numberg, Scott Robertson to Leeds, Matic to Espanyol, Nordstram to Rangers. I managed to recoup just under £20 million for that lot, Poujol went for the majority of that being a young decent centre half. I would have kept him but I wanted more funds since I still want a new left back and I can buy I younger cheaper model to act as cover at centre half.

So far my team is looking pretty good on paper, I might have overspent on Mouche. We'll have to see. He looks good but my Ass Man doesn't seem to rate him as I highly as I do. One things for sure, my forward line isn't going to win much in the air so I'll need to find a way to keep the ball on the floor. I'lm going to be playing 3 support CMs, and 3 quick and tricky centre forwards. Will it work?

I have just beaten Hartlepool 4-2 in the FA cup 1st round so i am happy with that. I have a game against York City in the 2nd round at home so hopefully if i win i can get a money spinner in the third round.

Baheng has been a massive dissapointment for me so far with only 3 goals in 19 games (18 starts). But when i play my other strikers they all score a decent amount of goals so i think its time to drop Baheng.

My top scorer Willy Topp is now injured for 3 months with a hip injury but Charles Roger has come in and done well with 7 goals in 9 games.

Archived