Scoring troubles?

Seem to have been resolved now judging by most of the posts.

Yet, I'm not able to get _anyone_ to score let alone the strikers against park the bus teams. I'm Man United and my formation is something like this -

-------------------- GK (Sweeper) -------------

-- FB (auto) -------- CB -------- CB --------- FB (auto)

-Winger (att)-- CM (support) -- Ball winner - Winger (att)

---------------------- Trequartista ------------------

---------------------- Complete forward --------------

--------------- Foster ------------

-- Brown/O'Shea -- Rio - Vidic - Evra

-- Valencia -- Hamsik/Carrick -- Fletcher -- Nani--

--------------- Silva-------------------------

------------- Berbatov-----------------------

(Rooney is injured for 5 months :/)

Starting out with Expansive, Attacking, High CF, High pressing, Hard tacking, more roaming as team instructions.

I won against the reasonably tougher opponents in City and Arsenal, but drew against Wolves, Sunderland and Everton with virtually no scoring chances.

Scoring has been resolved in the sense that strikers no longer blast a 30-yarder in the orbit for no apparent reason while having a clear run to the goal, or pass to the goalkeeper after a through ball.

The formation is not how I would've done it either, I see it failing to push the more defensive teams enough.

I suppose both Silva and Berbatov are set on Attack? I imagine they would be a little detached from the midfield that way. Your midfield must be involved enough to work the ball past their defense and control the game high up the pitch, not make one pass forward to Silva and hope it'll work out from there (it won't, with a packed defense). If you've already made Silva a trequartista, there's little point in playing him on AMC in the first place. You can set a forward as trequartista as well, and he will drop a little deeper as per your instructions. Trequartista isn't a playmaking, linking sort of player that you need there.

I don't get it now. Isn't a trequartista traditionally like Zidane who sits in the hole position and tries to put the striker through?

Silva is set to support, I just want him to sit in the hole and keep trying to Berbatov / Owen through. I had Rooney as trequartista while playing ST, but since Silva doesn't do that, I dragged the position back to AMC.

Anyway, lets see, I'll try changing Silva to AMC-Support and see if that works..

Also, I'm playing high up the pitch, pressing more, tackling hard and have the starting tactic on attack, So I'm not sure how it is that my midfield won't be involved enough. I just see wingers dribbling down, crossing like they should and I change FBs to attacking if I need to, to make them support the winger. Hamsik/Carrick at CM attack do pretty much what I expect them to, and Fletcher is pretty decent as a ball winner. So...

What you're looking for is the Advanced Playmaker (preferably on a support role).

Trequartista is something similar to what we call a "second striker" in english. The one that gets the ball and surges forward, looking for a shot or a final pass to his partner (or duo up front if playing behind 2 strikers). You can only have a Trequartista on Attack ingame if I remember correctly.

You also said your CM were both on Support in the first post. I'd actually play Hamsik and Carrick against weaker sides, have Hamsik on attack, and Carrick as a regular Centre Midfielder (or deep lying playmaker if you use default role for the AMC). And with neither Berbatov nor Silva being rather poor in the air, running and crossing ain't going to do you much good. You could try with drill crosses, or have your wingers as wide midfielders instead, so they're more involved with the MCa/AMC pair in setting up chances rather than hugging the line.

Pressing a lot and tackling hard can also damage your attack organization. World-class sides rarely do that, especially against inferior opposition.

Archived