FM10: PPM's, Individual Instructions, T/Line Shouts

Can I have an answer from someone at SI or someone who definitely knows the answer. As some of you may know, I have been having a problem with my FB, Bacary Sagna (Arsenal). I play W_M formation so I need my 2 x FB's and 1 x DC to stay back with my DMC's as defensive cover. I started noticing Sagna and sometimes Clichy have pushed so far up that they reach my opponents byline. So after experimenting and putting both FB's and DC on Mentality 1, CF 1, with NO fwd runs and NO run with ball with a D-line of 1, both FB's and especially Sagna were playing alongside Walcott. I could not understand what was happening. Then Joor posted and said that Sagna had 'Runs With Ball Down Right' and 'Gets Forward Whenever Possible' set in his 'Preferred Moves'. That made a lot of sense and I did not think of that. So SI, what takes precedence in setting's?. Do the PPM's overide the Individual Instruction's that I set, if so what will happen if I use the touchline shout of defend like mad, will Sagna ignore touchline shouts for his PPM's and if that is the case most players will play to their PPM settings.

Can I have an answer from someone at SI or someone who definitely knows the answer. As some of you may know, I have been having a problem with my FB, Bacary Sagna (Arsenal). I play W_M formation so I need my 2 x FB's and 1 x DC to stay back with my DMC's as defensive cover. I started noticing Sagna and sometimes Clichy have pushed so far up that they reach my opponents byline. So after experimenting and putting both FB's and DC on Mentality 1, CF 1, with NO fwd runs and NO run with ball with a D-line of 1, both FB's and especially Sagna were playing alongside Walcott. I could not understand what was happening. Then Joor posted and said that Sagna had 'Runs With Ball Down Right' and 'Gets Forward Whenever Possible' set in his 'Preferred Moves'. That made a lot of sense and I did not think of that. So SI, what takes precedence in setting's?. Do the PPM's overide the Individual Instruction's that I set, if so what will happen if I use the touchline shout of defend like mad, will Sagna ignore touchline shouts for his PPM's and if that is the case most players will play to their PPM settings.

Hi mate, did you use the creator and then tweaked your tactic with the advanced feature or you used the "old classic way" ?

I know you asked for an answer from someone who is a tactical authority, but I think there is a logical answer. Firstly, no amount of heresay or conjecture can beat first-hand experience - you could try the same settings with a FB who does not have the PPM 'Gets Forward Whenever Possible'.

Second, I would suggest that, if you are asking for containment of the opposition, then it is 'not possible' for Sagna to get forward, so he shouldn't. I say 'shouldn't' rather than 'wouldn't' because I obviously am not an authority on tactics, but also because I think the decision of whether a forward run is 'possible' lies with the player himself. Check his decisions to see if he is an idiot that would, in fact, go wandering up the wing when you're trying to hold on to a narrow lead.

Quite what the point of that specific PPM is - or any of the PPMs that allow the player to directly contravene instructions that you can make them perform anyway - I have no idea. For example, I can see the point in asking a player to 'shoot with Power', because you have no other way of dictating how he shoots. But 'shoots from distance' seems utterly redundant to me because, once learnt, it can't be turned off yet without it you can instruct them to shoot from distance anyway.

Perhaops I'm missing something?

When I first saw your previous posts about this, I had a couple of immediate thoughts. One of them was the same as PaulC's comment about the counter-attack 'mode'. The other was regarding set-piece settings.

The set-piece settings are, by default, mostly to stay back for fullbacks apart from the settings for throw-ins. Could it be that the player came forward for a throw-in and then stayed forward for the resulting play? That was one thought.

Anyway, on to the PPMs. A player who 'gets forward whenever possible' will have a tendency to try to get into the opposition box whenever it is possible, so this could well be where you are having your issue. A PPM is a tendency which will be modeled in the match engine. Thus, there is no really simple answer to your question. I believe, due to your settings, he would be less inclined to do this action but it would still be modeled in the match engine as a tendency of his, thus this is probably why you are seeing this happen despite your settings.

A good way to test this, of course, would be to use a different player in that position and check his movement.

I'm pretty sure that with the PPMs you have hit the nail on the head though.

Regards,

C.

Just a quick question have you sett creative freedom to 1. If not the PPM's could override his instructions.

Archived