Steam Pre-order problem!

It probably wouldn't work, most Steam games need Steam to be running when they run. I have Steam running now, it's using a meagre 11MB of memory and no CPU time so personally I don't have any problem with it.

You will probably be able to have the desktop shortcut and not have Steam running. I had that for Empire: Total War at first when I went through a phase of not using Steam much. It will load Steam and then load the game. It slows down game launch by maybe 10 seconds as Steam loads.

Probably not, most Steam games need Steam to be running when they run. I have Steam running now, it's using a meagre 11MB of memory and no CPU time so personally I don't have any problem with it.

You will probably be able to have the desktop shortcut and not have Steam running. I had that for Empire: Total War at first when I went through a phase of not using Steam much. It will load Steam and then load the game. It slows down game launch by maybe 10 seconds as Steam loads.

Ok mate, well will see what happens on Midnight Thursday.:D

It probably wouldn't work, most Steam games need Steam to be running when they run. I have Steam running now, it's using a meagre 11MB of memory and no CPU time so personally I don't have any problem with it.

It's the same situation for me. :thup:

You do not have to have steam running to play FM. I used Steam only to download and activate my copy of FM09. Thereafter, I have used a shortcut to the FM EXE file to run the game. I never have Steam running at all, and I've never had a problem.

It loads up Steam (in the background) when I open FM09. Maybe it's doing the same for you but you haven't noticed?

It loads up Steam (in the background) when I open FM09. Maybe it's doing the same for you but you haven't noticed?

Does it run slow for you? When steam is opened at background?

Does it run slow for you? When steam is opened at background?

Nope. Don't even notice it's there, besides seeing the little icon in the task bar. It doesn't impact on the CPU and the Memory usage is negligible.

Nope, Steam was never running in the background on my machine. I checked the task manager and there was never a Steam executable file running.

I was surprised when I was able to run the game without Steam after installing it, but all I had to do was find the FM executable file in the Steam common applications folders.

Nope, Steam was never running in the background on my machine. I checked the task manager and there was never a Steam executable file running.

I was surprised when I was able to run the game without Steam after installing it, but all I had to do was find the FM executable file in the Steam common applications folders.

Ah, OK. I just use the shortcut provided by Steam, which of course goes through Steam.

I was able to run FM2009 without Steam, but with FM2010 demo, which I downloaded through Steam, the Steam started before FM launched, no matter which shortcut I clicked, so perhaps the same will hapen with the full game.

So - feedback from Steam was;

"Your game's icon and access to its store page from the Steam client will appear once the game goes into pre-load (or when it releases, if no pre-load is scheduled.)

I tried to replicate the problem the original poster (Quboid) reported, where the game could be purchased multiple times, but I wasn't able to reproduce the issue. "

So not sure what's gone on with the multi-purchase - some kind of bug - lets see what happens when the preload starts shall we?

Cheers

Matt

There's a new version of Steam released with updates for upcoming titles, you can update from the File menu. After the update, I have my icon so I'm pretty confident it's now wired up. Looks like it wasn't a bug, just that it used Steam features that the client hadn't implemented until now.

Thanks for looking into this Matt, I really appreciate it.

Roll on the preload!

You do not have to have steam running to play FM. I used Steam only to download and activate my copy of FM09. Thereafter, I have used a shortcut to the FM EXE file to run the game. I never have Steam running at all, and I've never had a problem.

yeah- I done exactly the same thing- if you go into your c drive, or wherever your steam progamme is, go into steam>steamapps>common and you'll find fm10 there- make a shortcut from the .exe put it on your desktop and you never have steam running whilst playing.

Just remember to update though when patches come out- load steam up, let it update and then make a new shortcut from the .exe- thats what i did with 09 anyway- worked a treat all year.

By the sounds of it, you won't be able to do that this year as Steam is more integrated - required for things like Achievements. We don't know for sure yet but don't get your hopes up.

F_Torres9: I think you can install it on both, but only one can be running at any one time so your friend will be fine.

The unlock countdown is set for midnight now, rather than some time on Friday afternoon.

By the sounds of it, you won't be able to do that this year as Steam is more integrated - required for things like Achievements. We don't know for sure yet but don't get your hopes up.

F_Torres9: I think you can install it on both, but only one can be running at any one time so your friend will be fine.

The unlock countdown is set for midnight now, rather than some time on Friday afternoon.

Thanks for the answer to my question mate.:D

No issues with Steam. And there shouldnt be. Mine is the same as OP, but I have no concerns. I have 25 games on Steam, and have had no issues as of yet. I wouldnt be concerned, all will be well I am sure on Friday! Might be worth updating Steam? But again I am very sure all will be good! Steam is fantastic, and nothing to fear!!! Amazed at the amount of "Steam Fear!" everywhere!!! The ONLY issue with Steam is that is takes longer to download than it does to install a boxed version, but that is an obvious "issue" that common sense tells me to be aware of whenever I purchase a game on Steam!!! **Edit I have an icon, just checked, which I didnt have yesterday, still wouldnt have had me panicking though!!!

No problem, anything after Sunday's goal mate (you are the real Torres, right?).

The Steam unlock countdown is now for midnight Saturday morning, 24 hours late. I think Valve's been smoking the good bud, presumably once they've come down they'll fix it.

liamstack151 - I was concerned because I've many other games and FM was unique in not having an icon. When I found the AppID issue, then I was quite alarmed, yes, but I believe I had good reason. I think most people are nervous about Steam because they've little or no experience of digital distribution and certainly I had a lot of questions way back then too. Anyway, it all seems good now.

No problem, anything after Sunday's goal mate (you are the real Torres, right?).

The Steam unlock countdown is now for midnight Saturday morning, 24 hours late. I think Valve's been smoking the good bud, presumably once they've come down they'll fix it.

Mine says one day and six hours?? So looks like it'll be midnight tomorrow here.

liamstack151 - I was concerned because I've many other games and FM was unique in not having an icon. When I found the AppID issue, then I was quite alarmed, yes, but I believe I had good reason. I think most people are nervous about Steam because they've little or no experience of digital distribution and certainly I had a lot of questions way back then too. Anyway, it all seems good now.

:D @ real Torres!

I do however have confidence that it will still be released on friday morning but why are the release dates changing all the time, do they want me to have a heart attack. This is mad especially as it should be released tonight at 12.01 due to so many people getting it today and the whole world being able to get it 2mrw. Like I said last night if these release dates can change so easily why not just do the right thing and put it to tonight, I however am quite happy to wait untill the 30th but not the 31st come on that is taking the....

I was able to run FM2009 without Steam, but with FM2010 demo, which I downloaded through Steam, the Steam started before FM launched, no matter which shortcut I clicked, so perhaps the same will hapen with the full game.

I'm certain that this was done deliberately and only for the demo. I think the primary reason was to make sure that people would be spammed with the pre-order advertisement that appears whenever you close down the demo.

Just looked on the steam website and it still says 31 October,game unlocked in 2 days and 3 hours time. Should Sega not be contacting these people to find out just why they have moved the game back 24 hours because that means every one who buys a disc that wants to validate though steam won't be able to untill then.

Archived